Stumbles Of Love Part 2

Printer-friendly version

I apologize for not writing anything new for the last week or so, and especially regarding this story, as I promised to post pieces for this one fairly regularly. I've either been busy of late, or having issues with my sleeping which can be a nuisance, or have been dealing with pain and/or migraines, another nuisance I would happily avoid if it were at all possible. Such is my life, even when I'm fairly happy, it's a PITA. LOL

**********

Stasia looked at him? Her? The voice was clearly male, but his/her appearance was distinctly female, hence Stasia's confusion. Stasia smiled, a weak smile actually, but in her state of shock, it was not a surprise. "I'm headed to work, I'd like to talk with you later, if that is acceptable?"

The recipient of her request smiled back, a full smile, knowing quite well what Stasia was feeling, this or something similar seemed to happen any time he met someone new. "That would be fine, when you come by tonight, ring the doorbell, and we can have a chat."

Stasia giggled for a second or two, then responded, "I'd like to know whom I would be meeting, if you please."

Her soon-to-be friend grinned as he responded, "My preference is to be addressed as Erin, I look forward to seeing you later."

Stasia turned, ready to continue on her way, "Thank you, Erin, I hope you have a good day." She walked off, deep in thought.

Erin smiled as Stasia started walking again, somehow this girl seemed different; he'd met many people over the last year or so, once he began to change, and there were very few who remained in his life, most were unwilling to try to understand what was happening to him. He entered the house, and continued as he had done so many times before, keeping a clean house wasn't difficult, but did require time to do it well.

**********

To say that Stasia was distracted at work that day would be an understatement, she couldn't stop thinking about that morning's meeting. Several times, she was admonished by one or both of the senior clerks in the office, yet the admonishments had no effect on her.

When it was time for lunch, one of the other girls in the office, Kelly by name, had to call her three times before she noticed and joined them, learning only as they went out the door that they were going to the pub just a block or so from the office for their luncheon.

The dozen girls, including one of the two senior clerks in the office, were led into a back room with a table long enough to seat them all. They took a few moments to pick seats, taking off coats, jackets or wraps, then the chatter started as the girls settled down. Stasia, though, was still thinking about that early morning meeting, and Kelly noticed that she wasn't participating in the chatter, which was quite unusual for Stasia.

Kelly poked Stasia gently in the arm and whispered, "Something has you badly distracted today, you've been in la-la land all day."

Stasia nodded, a slight frown appearing on her pretty face. "I met someone today, and I'm totally confused by them. I don't want to say anything else, as that would be truly unfair to that person, and I would prefer to get their permission first before I talk about them with others."

Kelly nodded, she'd known Stasia for most of the two years and a bit that Stasia had worked at the office; Stasia had a sense of honour that was darn close to being chivalric at times, rather unusual in this day and age, but Kelly respected her for it, it was all too easy to find people out there with no sense of honour at all and to see the results of how those people treated everyone around them.

Kelly smiled at her friend, "I can wait, you do what you need to do to sort yourself out, whoever this person is, they mean a lot to you."

Stasia returned the smile, giggling briefly, "Kelly, saying they mean a lot to me may be a very big understatement. I've seen this person in their house many times since the spring, but I had never met them until today, and I want to get to know them better, much better."

As the waitress walked in to inquire about drinks and if anyone wanted to order yet, Stasia and Kelly gave their drinks requests, then turned to the women around the table and entered into the conversation taking place, primarily a discussion of a large job the office had been given.

When the waitress returned again, everyone put in their orders for meals and the work discussion continued right through the meal. Once the meal had ended, each of the women chipped in to cover their part of the meal, the bill was paid in full and they all prepared to leave.

**********

On the way back to the office, Kelly and Stasia fell a bit behind the rest. Kelly quietly asked, "So what are you planning to do about it?"

Stasia looked over at her friend walking beside her, "About what?"

"About this person that you say you met? What are you planning to do?"

Stasia turned her head away, trying to hide the colour rising on her face, "I'll be stopping by their house tonight, we'll chat a bit."

Kelly laughed quietly, smirking as she noticed Stasia's reddening face, "Well, I hope you have a good chat with them. Perhaps that will help you to get your head straight by tomorrow, you know the job we were just discussing over luncheon requires everyone's best efforts."

Stasia shook her head, her cheeks bright red. "Have I been that much of a ditz today? I don't know why, but I can't stop thinking of them."

"That seems rather obvious, Stasia, but you really need to focus on work, not some possible flame in your life."

Stasia turned to Kelly and snapped, "Oh, would you be any different if you found someone that made you feel the way I do now?"

Kelly thought about it for a moment before replying, "I honestly don't know, Stasia. Here's the office, back to work we go."

**********

The rest of the day was a bit better, Stasia was still distracted, but not as much as earlier, and she was able to do her part of the work. When the clock struck five, everyone in the office gathered whatever personal effects each had and left, going in many different directions.

Stasia was thinking as she walked about meeting Erin, so she almost walked by Erin's house before she realized where she was. She spent several minutes nervously standing by the small but elegant front gate, before she opened it, walked to the door and rang the bell.

up
124 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Should definitely be a most

Should definitely be a most interesting conversation, if the whole issue kept Stasia's head 'in the clouds".

Smitten hard

Jamie Lee's picture

Stasia has been smitten hard with Erin. Having to be reminded about keeping her mind on her work is abundant proof.

Erin recognized a difference in Stasia, so maybe she's as interested in Stasia as Stasia is in her.

Others have feelings too.