The Nightmare Rider - chapter 15

Printer-friendly version

 

The Nightmare Rider cover.PNG
Chapter 15 of
 
  The Nightmare Rider

 

 

 


World Map.PNG

 
 

Chapter 15

 
 
 

Daalumos stood on the edge of a plain watching a minor skirmish. Lower Demons that were vying for dominance over each other.

"With no gifted weapons, they could be at this for years. They'll grow bored eventually," the BloodLust surmised then wandered on.

He had took on a more common form for a Demon when he arrived back in the Underworld. Remaining in the horse form would have been conspicuous. Using the common form allowed him to pass relatively without regard. Not unnoticed, but with less notice. Only a God, Goddess or another Lust would know what he was. Lusts usually avoided each other, just in case they were of the same kind. For the most part he simply wandered the fringes of populated areas and listened. Words spoken in anger tended to be more true in the Underworld. Hostility equated to honesty there, calmness were the hallmarks of calculation and deception. In short, the only time one could be trusted; was when they were trying to destroy someone.

"Why do you return," a voice asked.

Daalumos felt angry Divinity coming in waves from the cloaked and hooded figure.

He tilted his head in puzzlement, "return?"

The hood was pushed back to reveal the face of a harsh woman, "you are bound to Phoebe of Nightmares, Lust. I know you are in her service."

"Poena the Punisher," Daalumos said in recognition.

Slowly she approached, "you will not be so foolish as to try using your power on me, Lust. Why do you return?"

"Curiosity. Why do You ask," Daalumos asked.

Poena stated, "you serve Phoebe, yet Phoebe is with the Mortals and you are here, Lust."

Daalumos tilted his head, "this is true. You ask as if my Mistress is of concern to Yourself. We do not indulge in Your pursuits."

"I am aware of Phoebe's pursuits. I birthed her, Lust. Do not forget that," Poena reminded.

The bound Demon nodded, "I forget nothing Punisher. If You are indeed aware of my Mistress' pursuits as You say, then You have no reason to concern Yourself."

Poena glared, "you are being obstinate Lust."

"I do not serve you Punisher. I merely find your questioning irrelevant. You are Poena and my Mistress is Phoebe. She has no interest in Your pursuits and You have no interest in Hers. There is no conflict so I see no reason to provide Yourself with answers to questions that are not Your concern," Daalumos stated.

Poena was about to counter but the BloodLust cut her off, "unless You are wishing to make Yourself Her concern. My Mistress would not like Yourself to be poking into Her affairs. She is not a Demi-Goddess. Phoebe's affairs are Her own and have nothing to do with Yourself. You want something for nothing. Something that is not of your concern."

Finally Poena reached into the cloak and then threw down a bag that jingled, "a payment then Lust."

Daalumos took the bag and checked inside to find it filled with Underworld coins, "very well Punisher. My Mistress seeks knowledge of Phoetor."

"Only Phoetor," Poena asked.

Daalumos laughed as he walked around the Goddess then leaned over her shoulder, "my Mistress has no interest in You at all Punisher. None at all."

"None," Poena asked in puzzlement.

Daalumos chuckled as he began to walk away, "You presumed too much Punisher. You have nothing She wants."

 

~*~*~*~

 

"You want to order new armor in your colors through First Regiment," Doril Hunley asked.

Vaan Arento nodded, "No. I want to obtain a new set from home through your channels. I simply need First Regiment to secure that transport of that armor. My current set of armor has been compromised. "

The Solo remarked, "you seemed to be surprised about that. Someone else would ask why that is."

"And you won't because you know why," the Prince stated with sarcasm then hit full comprehension.

The Solo has sold his information to warn them since he was unable to stop the culprit. There was still time to counter the threat. In fact there would still be enough time to counter it in two more days.

Vaan sighed and began to reach into his jacket pocket, "how much to find out who?"

"The information is not at my disposal," Hunley replied.

Vaan pulled out a handful of coins and counted out twenty and set them in front of the Solo, "I want to know what you know."

"Non-regulation lances, horse sabotage, compromised armors, tainted water and meals. All Solos are targeted along with all royals and the student council President. That is what I have currently," Doril listed. "Medical records may have been compromised as well."

Vaan was very quick to understand that part. Injuries sustained due to training and previous Tournaments would be in those files. Injuries that could be exploited to cause failure and forfeiture. The mentioning of the lances was also significant. A non-regulation lance would result in a harder impact. Harder impact would cause, or aggravate a previous, injury.

Distraction immediately appeared in the form of Patrick Fotens.

"Ah! Solo Fotens," Vaan said and gave a smile.

Patrick nodded, "Arento. Hunley."

Doril gave a steady nod, "Fotens. Arento has a problem."

"Is he contracting a service," Patrick asked.

The Prince picked up the subtle change in attitude. He had wanted to keep the matter confidential, but Doril was now acting as if obligated to have Patrick Fotens informed.

Patrick nodded then asked, "are you able to accommodate?"

"I can. The service will not require me to leave and be concluded in three days," Doril informed him.

"Then its all you. Anything else," Patrick asked.

The First Regiment Solo shook his head, "that's it."

Patrick nodded and continued on about his business. Vaan was now very curious.

"Might I ask what that was all about Solo Hunley," the Prince asked.

Doril nodded, "I graduate this year and will be leaving. Fotens will be the ranking Solo. All activities will be going through him, as they have been through me. Contracts through Regiments will be handled in the manner they always have been but independent contracts, such as yours, will be overseen by the ranking Solo. Fotens will be that ranking Solo. Nothing different as far as things go."

Vaan considered that for a moment, "I actually wasn't aware of that."

Doril sighed, "Arento there are a lot things the student body in general aren't aware. One of them is that though I may have Seniority, Patrick Fotens has outranked me since his first day at the Academy. Technically he was supposed to be in my position. It was agreed that my experience here made me better suited. This year has been the exception, not the standard. Next year will be back to standard with changes."

Vaan added two coins to the ones in his hand, "such as?"

"All Solos will be wearing Regimental colors. Some are taking a temporary affiliation during their time at the Academy. Internal matters that concern the Solos; not the student body," Doril stated. "Now back your matter. Meet me at the Solo Registrar during lunch."

Vaan handed over the coins and left to go about his business.

"Wonder when he's going to stop playing the fop. I still find it hard to believe there are some around here that actually fall for it," Doril Hunley remarked to himself as he went to class.

 

~*~*~*~

 

Jessica looked to the Countess, "you mean my armor wasn't tampered with at all?"

"I'm afraid so Highness. I suspect you are being set up or have not been deemed a serious enough threat. However I believe it to be prudent to secure new armor from home just in case. Prince Vaan is doing the same," Fiona stated.

Jessica then looked frightened, "what about the Nobles? The Solos?"

Fiona patted her shoulder, "the Solos are looking after themselves. In fact it was because of them that I began to suspect something. I think they made certain movements in effort to BE obvious something was going on."

"The Solos are acting guarded. Secretive even. Have they said anything to you," Jessica asked.

Fiona sighed, "trust around here shouldn't be taken for granted. Princess, as someone who cares, it is time to become cautious. There are many who have things riding on this Tournament, besides standings. You almost did too."

Fiona said that last part with emphasis and Jessica didn't miss the meaning. She didn't miss the deeper meaning. Fiona herself had a similar problem. How she fared in Tournament would determine her own outcome.

"Fiona I'm so sorry you've been tricked into such a position," Jessica tried to console her.

Fiona shook her head, "I set the terms Highness."

"YOU," Jessica exclaimed in disbelief.

The Countess nodded, "Highness, Jessica, not everyone can be told 'no' outright. There times when a young woman must take her future into her own hands and give over to her skills and abilities."

The Princess thought about that. She walked a few steps away, back then away again before turning back, "but some can't afford to take the chance their's are better. They have to be ensured of total victory. They have the most to lose or gain with the results."

Fiona arched an eyebrow, "it seems your time in Solo Fotens charge did more than calm your temper. Keep going Highness."

"It can't be something so simple as a marital arrangement. Nor business. No Countess, this is more than that. This is also a personal statement. That rules do not apply to them. They are above everything. This may also be about retaliation. Armor that fails on the first contact; even the strongest opponent will be made vulnerable," Jessica said aloud but talking more to herself.

Fiona's eyes narrowed, "but why omit someone? You."

"Because I will lose to others since I have lost before. I'm not taken seriously. The Solos are stronger than me. They can change everything. Solos can not be paid into lower performance, they are a threat. People constantly think Vaan is an airhead until he gets in the saddle, he is a threat. You've been unbeatable all year, you are a very big threat. Bad armor can't be the only thing they're trying to do," Jessica said then exclaimed. "THE HORSES!"

Fiona nodded for her to continue.

"The Solos pulled all their horses! If they suspected one horse of being tampered with they'd switch, that makes sense. All their horses would have to be tampered with to give them no choice. That's why the Solos pulled all their horses out! It won't be enough though. All but one of the Solos in the Tournament are affiliated so they keep their armor with them and only wear Academy armor for training. During Tournament their wear their own! THE SOLOS ARE THE BIGGEST THREAT OF ALL TO THIS PERSON," Jessica concluded.

Fiona then asked, "and who has had two dramatic run-in's with Solos?"

"Me! I've been butting heads with them since day one here! Everyone has known of my hatred for them. I'M THE SCAPEGOAT," Jessica stated.

Fiona leaned in, "and now you know why I've brought all this to your attention."

Jessica asked angrily, "who is behind this?"

"GOOD question," Fiona replied. "I'm starting to think that anything obvious should not be trusted at all. You're change of attitude is very recent and not widely known. Some in your class doubt that you are being genuine."

"I guess that shouldn't be a surprise," Jessica lamented then noticed Fiona's expression change. "What?"

Fiona mused, "that may be something that can be used to advantage. I think I have an idea."

 

~*~*~*~

 

"He'll see you now," the secretary said and nodded to the door.

Patrick went inside, closing the door behind him.

"Commander Fotens," the Headmaster greeted him.

Patrick nodded, "Headmaster. I'm still acclimating to the rank."

The old man nodded back, "you're a professional; I've no doubt you'll adapt. I won't waste your time Commander."

Patrick watched as he stacked up several coins on his desk slowly.

"I have a problem that needs to be looked into. I want to contract you for two reasons. Firstly; you are the highest ranking Solo in the area. Secondly; your record is exemplary. You've never failed to carry out an assignment," the Headmaster stated.

"What is your request Headmaster," Patrick asked formally.

The Headmaster leaned forward, "someone is trying to influence the Tournament. Find out who and bring me proof."

"I've done reconnaissance assignments before, but this would be my first investigation. There are others more qualified in that field," Patrick stated.

"Are you declining Commander Fotens," the Headmaster asked.

Patrick stood his ground, "informing you of my experience and verifying you wish to proceed in an informed manner."

The Headmaster nodded, "I understand. Very professional. I am informed and do wish to proceed."

"This contract will be verbal and payment only upon satisfactory completion; one hundred and thirty coins. These are my terms," Patrick said.

"Results no later than the day before. These are my terms. Agreed," the Headmaster asked.

"Agreed. Headmaster," Patrick said then left.

Alone now the Headmaster looked at the door the young Solo Commander just exited, "very clever taking the assignment as a verbal contract. Anyone that ever goes through his ledger will never know he conducted the investigation. Any information I receive will for all intensive purposes be anonymous. No political fallout. The previous Commander taught him better than anyone suspects."

 

~*~*~*~

 

That night Patrick used the Cloak of Shadows. The cloak allowed him to step out of a shadow inside the supply shop in the village. Quietly he began to look through the receipts. Tucked in the back of the file was the one he was looking for. The order for five lances in Academy colors. Four were composite, one was a battle lance. The name on the receipt didn't look familiar so it was carefully tucked inside his jacket.

Doril Hunley provided him the chest-piece of Vaan Arento's armor. It took some doing but with the assistance of an armorer that only served Solos, they were able to determine which chemical had been used. That became his next task. Of the five Armorers in the area anyone could go to he found the chemical in one shop. Unfortunately there was no receipt. The chemical had either been stolen or sold secretly by an apprentice. The stairs began to squeak. Someone was coming downstairs.

Patrick had a choice; hide, escape or confront. He made his decision and stood casually leaning against the wall.

The Smith gained the floor and made for the kitchen but stopped. He felt like he was being watched.

Quickly he turned and flipped on the light, "WHO'S THERE?"

"Someone with questions ArmorSmith. Very serious questions," Patrick replied to the startled man.

"You're a Solo. I've seen you before. Why are you sneaking around in my shop," the Smith asked with clear agitation.

Patrick pointed to a shelf, "that. Yours is the only shop that uses Kressium Acid."

The Smith growled, "yeah. So?"

Patrick closed on the big man, "so someone has sprayed Kressium Acid on the armor of several Selections for Tournament. You received a case last week and have already gone through five of the ten bottles. Your receipts only show two sets of armor in for repairs that would require use of such chemical. That's three bottles gone without reason."

Undisguised surprise turned to anger, "are you saying I supplied somebody the bottles to influence Tournament?"

Patrick stood still without confirming or denying the statement.

"No way would I do that! I'd lose my license and be run out of the village! I'd never work again," the Smith protested then froze. "Damn it!"

Quickly he waved to Patrick, "follow me!"

Patrick followed him back upstairs then into a room that he slammed the door open.

"GET UP! YOU HAVE SOME EXPLAINING TO DO," the Smith demanded to a young man a few years older than Patrick.

The startled young man looked around, "I-I don't know what you mean Sir."

The Smith hauled him up by his shirt, "three bottles of acid are missing that I didn't use and now a Solo is here asking about them! You came into some money to have a wild time over the weekend, WHO DID YOU SELL THOSE BOTTLES TO?"

"A-a guy at the Academy! A Noble! He didn't give his name. Just offered me three times what the bottles cost. I thought if I bought three more on the next order and paid for them myself you wouldn't notice," the Apprentice confessed.

"What did he look like," Patrick asked calmly.

Fearfully the Apprentice answered, "sh-short brown hair. A goatee. His jacket was green. Green and white with gold."

"I should throw you out into the streets," the Smith snarled.

Patrick held up his hand, "Tomorrow morning report this to the Headmaster during breakfast. Take him with you to identify the Noble. Say nothing of my involvement. Follow my instruction and you will be absolved of any wrongdoing. How you handle your business is up to you. Apprentice, reveal me and I will come for you."

"Yes Sir," the Apprentice said woefully.

Patrick then left through a door. One problem solved, one pending and two left.

 

~*~*~*~

 

The Headmaster and Sir Belvin were both surprised when Patrick Fotens asked them to join him at the armory. Breakfast was still twenty minutes from being served.

"Alright Fotens. We're here," Sir Belvin said after letting them inside.

Patrick went to the lance room. Lances had already been set aside and tagged for Tournament use. the two men followed him.

"Five lances have been ordered and collected in the Academy colors. The name on the receipt does not match any student, faculty or staff. Please check each tagged lance to verify they are regulation COMPETITION lances," Patrick said.

Sir Belvin began to check. It took just over five minutes to find them. They were all for the same person. A third year named Bon Loreen.

"Gentry Loreen will have to be disqualified," the Headmaster stated.

"Agreed. This is beyond blatant," Sir Belvin remarked hotly.

Patrick was standing to the side, "solve one problem. Give opportunity to create another with less time to discover and solve it."

"What are you suggesting Commander Fotens," the Headmaster asked.

Patrick stepped forward, "make his first opponent be me. I can bring him down and with that all his lances are taken out of service by Sir Belvin personally. There is a staff assisting. That's the only way the lances could be in here already. If Sir Belvin removes them personally the problem is solved."

"And if he uses the battle lance on you," Sir Belvin asked.

Patrick looked non-plussed, "it won't be an issue. Make the arrangement. Loreen against me, the very first match. Another problem is going to be resolved very soon and very public."

"Very well Commander. I'd say we're done here for now. I have the feeling that we should get to the Dining hall and linger about today," the Headmaster remarked.

Half an hour later, Patrick's advice seemed prophetic. A local ArmorSmith and his Assistant were shown in. Within minutes Lord Del Ekato was summoned to the corridor. Seconds later the yelling began then stopped. The young Noble did not return to the hall nor was he seen in any classes that day. Only the Faculty knew by late afternoon; he was seen leaving with his belongings under guard by Solos of the Second Regiment. None would say anything.

Patrick stood in the Headmaster's office after classes.

"So the bulk of the problems are now solved," the Headmaster remarked.

Patrick asked him, "do you trust your eyes and ears?"

The Headmaster shrugged, "I've never had any reason not to."

"I'm giving you reason now. We've uncovered and negated angles of the attack. Not the instigator. Neither of those two would take those measures of their own volition. They were bribed or blackmailed. This isn't over," Patrick said.

The headmaster sighed, "and here I thought I was going to be paying you today."

"The staff members that are facilitating assistance will not reveal either. If they were not blackmailed to begin with, they will be. The fact that they conspired against so many would bring a myriad of charges. They would never see the outside world again. The fact that it could also include Regicide only makes it worse. Some kingdoms mark that as a death sentence," Patrick stated the obvious.

Sir Belvin agreed, "very true. We may have to wait until the break and contract the Fourth Battalion to interview the staff."

The Headmaster took that into consideration. The Solos of the Fourth Battalion were intelligence experts. Fotens was only one person, though he had achieved sound results so far.

"Very well. Commander Fotens I am satisfied. The contract is settled. If you come across anything more I consider it extra and will pay a bonus. Here's your pay. Good day Commander," the Headmaster stated and handed ove a bag of coins.

Patrick took them and left.

Sir Belvin looked over to the Headmaster, "uh; so when did Fotens become a Commander?"

The old man winced, "about that. Keep it to yourself for now."

 
 
 
If you liked this chapter of The Nightmare Rider please do Kudo. No membership needed.

up
420 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Plots and counterplots

I know who I would pick as the culprit but I also know from experience that I am usually wrong. Now with a counter plot by Patrick and another by Fiona and Jessica things are going to get even more interesting.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

ver nice

Chapter indeed, several things resolved and counter actions taken. 1 person taken down, another watched and will be shown up
Seems as if the solo's all know Vaan is just playing to the crowds, And looks like there will be more trouble tried on but I am sure will be sorted.
And I am sure there will be a lot more stuff happening esp as Jessica seems targeted as the scapegoat.

Matt

The Plot Thickens.

Here are several very likeable characters who I wish to have good fates, yet this story is not knitting together in the manner I am accustomed to. Hollywood and mainstream writing is simple and unimaginative, and this, at least to me is not. I hope that you do not utterly cut off any sort of pleasant ending because that would be far too much like real life.

Very nice writing though.

Gwen

latest episode

I can see by my past experience with your stories that the villain is not going to be whom I think it is... but still I enjoy your writings
Well done young one

scapegoat and help...

The suspicions of Fiona and Jessica's revelation has me hoping that Jessica hires the solos to help clear her name. Patrick has his suspicions already, but I believe she could be the missing piece he needs to nail the person responsible. They have the blackmailed, the intimidated, and the suspicion that it is related to the solos in some way now they would have the most likely scapegoat asking for help- it'll point back to who he suspects.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

I think

Sammi's picture

Patrick may know more than he has let on to the HM, he all but told the HM and Sir Belvin that the information he found was all too easy to find which means that the culprits that have been revealed are 'Sacrificial Lambs', and he brought the information as premised, it was the HM that decided the investigation is over.

Also Patrick, really only took the job from the HM because His honour and record were challenged by the HM even after the HM was given the way out. It could be said that the HM attempted to set him up to fail.
And seriously the lances and who was to use them may be true info but the fact that they are already assigned and in within the armoury, I felt the HM wrote off the information too fast unless he is one with plans within plans within plans, and Patrick was only was part of the plan.

Great chapter Alecia, can't wait for the next .


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

This is exciting.

I am thinking about Poena. oooh she is missing her baby Phobe now I assume. Well she is a mother after all.

As usual, another most

As usual, another most interesting chapter. And as is said in other mystery stories, the plot thickens. This tournament should be a very, very different one than the instigators and others involved ever considered it would be, now that Patrick has figured out most of the plot.