Horse Talk & The Girl Who Loved Them Chapter 19

Printer-friendly version

Chapter XIX

A Trick to Get Katrina Back to Brazil

"Well, I guess in this part of the world Maria would catch most women." She was holding a bathrobe for me to slip into.

"Your name is Maria?" I wondered if she wanted me to guess as I dried myself before slipping into the bathrobe.

Laughing she shook her head. "No, I said Maria would be the name of most women. My name is Ecetra VanDuval. I'm a mixture of Inca, Dutch, and French. I think the Indian in my blood won out. Both my parents are white and blue eyed."

Long, jet black, silky satin hair, the deepest black eyes I had ever seen, golden bronze skin, I was looking at a very beautiful Indian princess. It was impossible to imagine her parents as anything but Indian. "You're kidding!"

Laughing, she crossed her heart with her right hand. "No. You know, that is exactly what I said when I was old enough to realize I had the wrong parents. I always claimed I was swapped at the hospital. Problem is, I wasn't born in a hospital. A midwife delivered me at my parent’s house. Believe me, they wondered too. My mother was embarrassed and my dad was ashamed at first. It was bad enough they sent blood to France to have a DNA test run. It was positive. I'm their daughter."

"You're a beautiful woman, Ecetra. May I call you Ecetra or would you prefer I didn't?" I had no idea what was proper etiquette in this part of the world.

"Yes, Ecetra is fine. We have a salon in this building. Let's go downstairs and use it. It would be a lot easier than using the sink." She motioned for me to go along with her downstairs.

That night was a long, long night with me chasing horses on foot all night long. Toward morning, the horses started chasing me and I was caught up in a stampede. I awoke as one of the horses raised up to stomp me. My heart was racing a hundred miles an hour as I blinked my eyes and reality settled back in replacing my nightmares. Yes, I guess you could call that a pun but it wasn't funny to me. I rolled out of the big old bed and found the jeans and shirt Ecetra had been kind enough to loan me. I was tired of the dress I had been wearing since leaving Lucia and Junita behind. Not that I wasn't grateful. I would probably never have made it this far if I had been wearing my normal clothes. There were no boots so I slipped back into the sneakers. I felt half dressed with no boots and no cowboy hat.

Anyone on my trail could follow me by all the clothes I was leaving behind. My suitcase was left on the plane. My watch and hat was left with Mike when I left all my other clothes. Then the last of my clothes were left with Lucia and Juinta. Now all I had to wear was loaned to me. Grateful as I was for the loans, I preferred my own clothes. I had no idea what time it was but I was sure I was through with the night as I didn't want any more of those nightmares. After dressing I found my way down stairs. There was a Marine watching me as I walked across the large room toward the front door.

"You have the time? I don't have a watch." I stopped in front of him as he glanced at his wrist.

"It's four thirty nine Miss McDonald. Are you ready for breakfast?" He looked back up into my eyes.

"Not yet. May I go for a walk outside? I'd like some fresh air."

"Please don't leave the compound unless you have an escort. You want me to call Corporal Randall and tell him you want to go out of the compound? He is assigned to your duty today." The Marine was waiting for an answer.

It was an involuntary sigh that escaped. I was mentally tired of these situations. I would have traded ten years of my life to be back home right now. "No, I'll stay inside your fence. Is there any place I should stay away from? I mean is there any secret stuff I don't want to see or…?"

Laughing he shook his head. "No, you have free run of the whole compound Miss McDonald."

"Thanks Marine." I turned to walk out the front door when I heard him talking behind me.

"Miss McDonald is leaving the embassy building proper. No escort."

Glancing over my shoulder, I saw him smile. He touched his shoulder. "Voice mike. There are others outside who need to know who is walking out of the embassy. It's best they hear it from me rather than wrestling you to the ground before they find out who you are. We don't get many guests who want to take a four o'clock stroll."

Down at the front gate there were two Marines on guard. I visited with them for ten or twenty minutes before I decided to walk the inside wall. That took all of ten minutes before I had circled the embassy and was back at the front. The cool morning air was beginning to seep in. I decided I had enough.

The Marine at the front door acknowledged me as I walked back inside. "Would you like to see some of the city or the country? It's going to be a long day with nothing to do before the dinner party tonight. We can find you some fatigues if you would like. I'll wake up Jim and he can be your guide today? Of course, you may also stay inside the embassy if you desire."

I looked closely at his name tag. "You think Jim would mind, Mr. Cable? I mean I don't want to bother him if he has already been up half the night or has other things he needs to take care of."

A smile spread across Cable's face. "Miss McDonald please call me David. My drill instructor called me Mr. Cable. I'm sure Jim would be honored to escort you wherever you want to go today. All of us here would but it so happened on Jim's watch."

He turned his head and spoke to his right shoulder. "Roust Jim and tell him his party is ready."

As he pointed across the room off to his right, David was closely watching me. "Go down the hall to the end, turn right, and go to the door at the end. Jim will meet you in the mess…, uh, kitchen in six minutes."

I can't tell you if it was six minutes or not but Jim did show up immediately after I had walked into the kitchen. He was carrying a bundle of clothes in his arms. He held them out toward me. "I brought you some clothes. I see you are wearing jeans already. If you like, you can use the jacket in there. You'll need it this morning and it will be too much in a couple hours. We'll take the Hummer. So…? Is it city sightseeing or country you want?"

"A little of both would be nice. I'd like to see some of the country for sure. I'm not too fond of cities. What do you recommend I wear? It seems I'm in your hands today. Hope you don't mind?"

"Miss McDonald…,"

I held up my hand. "Wait a sec. If we are going to be together all day, I can't take any more of that Miss McDonald stuff. Please call me Jake. Please?"

His eyes widened to two white explanation marks. He coughed out. "Jake?????"

"Yes, it's a name I grew up with. I kinda like it. I certainly prefer it over Miss McDonald." I was waiting to see if Jim was going to accept 'Jake'.

Slowly a smile spread across his face as a gleam crept into his eyes. "My pleasure…, Jake. Okay, let's eat a bite and then go see part of the country. Drop the clothes and keep the jacket.

Forty minutes later we were out in the country. Jim was a very nice and polite Marine. He was wearing fatigues. I don't imagine any of the locals had any problems realizing we were Americans. We spent most of the morning sightseeing the country. A lot of mountains were everywhere. What wasn't mountains wasn't flat. I had a hard time imagining how they raised crops in this part of the world. It finally dawned on me I was thinking too big. I mean not in space but in equipment. The big heavy equipment we used in our part of the world wouldn't work in this part of the world. One had to think smaller because all the plots of ground were cut up so they wouldn't erode with each rain.

A couple hours of touring the country with Jim pointing out all the sights was certainly interesting. He then suggested we go back to town for browsing while the markets were still fresh. A few minutes later his phone rang.

He stopped the Hummer beside the road before he answered the phone. "This is Randall."

He glanced over at me as he was talking on the phone. "Okay, I'll check."

"Ms. McDonald, it seems someone found you a job. It's transporting four Lamas. You want to go look at the shipment? They are about forty minutes north of here?"

"If you don't mind. Did they say when I'm supposed to pick them up and where I'm shipping them to?" I was trying to think what a Lama was? Wasn't that similar to a goat or something?

Dropping the Hummer in gear, he was moving down the road before he answered. "No, they only told me where the ranch was. It's a pretty good spread for these parts. Senior Val Rohous is the gentleman you will be working for. He's been to several of the parties at the embassy."

"What's a Lama?" I turned to look at Jim.

"Wha…, oh, okay. I don't guess you have too many of them up in your part of the world. It's one of those critters." Jim pointed out to our right.

There were several animals in the field off to our right. I had been seeing them all morning and it never dawned on me what they were. They looked like a cross of several animals. Long necks and heads like a camel, barrel like bodies like sheep, and long legs.

Many curves, hills, and small farms later Jim turned up to a road leading to a really huge house. I guess all my ideas of a southern hacienda came to mind when I looked at the house at the end of the road. Big sweeping arches covered balconies, three story stucco was a picture home straight out of a fancy magazine. Now I knew where all those photo journalist came when they took pictures of a southern hacienda. This had to be the one home they photographed.

A man walked out of the house as Jim drove up to the front. "Welcome Senior Randall, Seniorita McDonald. Senior Val Rohous is expecting you. Please follow me."

As Jim and I followed the man back into the house I could understand the reason for the big verandas and open arches. It felt ten degrees cooler in the shade. The big open space provided plenty of shade while letting the breeze flow through. It was efficient cooling without using those noisy and expensive air conditioners we Americans are so fond of. There was something else I noticed that was different from our American homes and offices as opposed to those in the Latin countries. They used tile, stucco, and ceramics for their walls and floors which I suppose would last for years if not centuries. We used carpet, paper, and other things of a more temporary measure for building our homes and offices. It dawned on me that as Americans we are a nation of consumers of temporary life styles. The Latin people were a distinct contrast in they built things that would last them a lifetime if not their ancestors too.

"Seniorita McDonald?" He was holding out his hand.

"What? Oh, I'm sorry. I was admiring your home and thinking how beautiful it is. So grand and enduring. I can't begin to tell you how gorgeous it is." I held out my hand and returned his handshake.

He held onto my hand as he smiled. "Thank you. Would you and your escort like a glass of tea?"

"Uh, no, none for me thanks. But you can tell me what you have to ship and where, and what my duties would be." I retrieved my hand as I spoke.

"I ship Lamas, Miss McDonald. I can offer you a ride with one of my deliveries if you want." He smiled as his eyes glanced back and forth from Jim to me.

"From where to where, Mr. Rohous and what does it pay?" I hated blind end situations where I was supposed to go along without any idea of what I was getting into. I had enough of those this past week. It was time to start asking questions before the business started, not after it was all over with.

"Pay? I'm sorry if you misunderstood, Miss McDonald. There is no pay. However if you escort my lamas there will be a minimum of problems traveling out of the country. I have four lamas going to Ecuador in two days." He looked insulted I had suggested payment.

"I certainly appreciate it Mr. Rohous but I'm going to decline the offer. I have enough problems without being a nurse maid to some animals for the fun of it. I like animals but not enough to be responsible for another man's property unless I'm paid for my skills or talent. Besides, I don't have any more connections in Ecuador than I do here. I can't see where I would be gaining anything." I was doubly glad I had asked before saying okay.

"My apologies, Miss McDonald. I had the mistaken notion you were looking for a way out of the country with a minimum of questions." Val glanced over at Jim before turning his attention back to me.

Jim reached over and wrapped his hand around my arm. “We better report in and head back Miss McDonald. They will be sending a squad out here if I don’t call in the next ten minutes.”

“Thank you for your offer Senior Rohous. I appreciate you thinking of me. Maybe next time. I guess we better go report in as Jim said.” I was being hustled back to the Humvee as I was trying to say goodbye.

We were turned around and headed out the driveway as Jim took a furtive glance in my direction. “We don’t have to report in Jake and they wouldn’t send out a squad of Marines in the next few minutes if they don’t hear from us.”

Turning in the seat so I could hear Jim better I had to ask. “Why?”

“Val Rohous has real close relations with a lot of people in Brazil. A couple of things bothered me about the conversation you were having with him. He usually sends his animals by train and I have never heard of him sending a handler along. Then the other thing is, if you ship animals to the US they have to go through customs and be quarantined for a few days.

Jim shook his head. “You were going to Brazil or you were being sent to jail.”

“Is this what Marines do? Rescue Americans in distress?” I had figured out going to the US was a bad idea. Leo had already told me I couldn’t return there. The idea of being sent back to Brazil and my death had never entered my mind. I guess it was still possible.

He turned and winked at me. “Part of our job Jake.”

I had to ask. “Would I have been safe without a Marine guide?”

Jim glanced in my direction. "I apologize for bringing you up here, Jake. The scuttlebutt around the embassy is you are someone who talks to animals when no one else can. When they told me he called asking about you I thought that was something you might do for him. I’m not real positive about his intentions but the conversation didn’t feel right. We always try to pull back and assess the situation if possible when things feel spooky.”

"No biggie. I am not sure what my options are. Going from Peru to Ecuador didn't seem like a step in the right direction." I was looking at the scenery as it passed by us.

The drive back to the embassy was long. I hadn't realized we had traveled so far out. Jim seemed to know every road and trail in the country. Maybe that was part of the duties of a Marine when assigned to guard ambassadors?

Ecetra met us as we walked back into the building after parking the Hummer. "It's time to start getting ready for tonight Miss McDonald."

I glanced at my wrist. It’s a natural instinct even when the watch is no longer there. "What time is it? When does the party begin?"

"The dinner party begins at seven. Guests will start arriving anytime after six thirty." Taking my hand she was leading me out of the room and up the stairs.

We passed a clock in the hall. I took a good look. "It's only a little after three. We have plenty of time. I can get ready in a couple minutes."

Ecetra laughed as she opened the door to a suite. "We girls take a little more time than a couple minutes to get ready, Katrina. I've had my bath. It's your turn. Dalia will help you with your makeup and dress when you are finished."

An hour later I was looking in the mirror at a woman I had met only a few weeks before. The same one I saw on graduation night and then again for passport photos. Dalia made sure my hair was perfect before she was satisfied. The soft red dress had an intricate floral brocade designed in beads and sequins. The beads, and sequins added a sparkle as light reflected with the slightest movement. It was floor length with long sleeves. I was standing on four inch red patent heels. There was a small difference from before. My bra wasn't padded and I didn't have a whole lot up front. It was funny in an odd way. Jake wouldn't have minded. Katrina was wishing for a little more. Would it always be like this every time I wore a dress?

Ecetra returned and nodded her approval. "You look nice Miss McDonald. We need to practice protocol before the guests arrive. Come, let's go down to the banquet hall and practice."

Minutes later I was staring at two very distinguished Marines in all their glory. They were in their dress whites and if there was a speck of dirt on them or a seam which wasn't perfect you could have fooled me. Jim Randall winked at me with his right eye. "May I say you look absolutely stunning Miss McDonald."

I felt myself blushing. "As do you Mr. Randall."

The other Marine held out his arm. "Miss VanDuval, you look ravishing."

Ecetra's sequined blue dress was floor length. It followed the shapely curves of her body like a second skin. It was strapless and it caressed her breasts daringly. Ecetra had a body that shouted 'woman' and she carried herself with a soft sway to her hips as she walked. I was jealous.

Ecetra smiled and winked at the Marine as she reached for the arm of her escort. "Don."

"Miss McDonald, this is how we will enter after the guests have arrived. The Ambassador and the President immediately followed by their wives will walk down the stairs and enter the dinning room. You and Jim will follow next at approximately six steps behind. Don't worry about keeping it perfect, no one notices these things anyway. The Ambassador will walk to the head of the table and stop. Just to his left will be Mrs. Ford and you will be seated next to her. President Manuel Chavez will be seated on Ambassador Ford's right. Next to him will be Mrs. Chavez and I will be seated on her right. The rest of the guests will be introduced as the evening wears on in case you can't read the name plaque in front of them."

She brushed some imaginary lint off her dress. "Any questions?"

"No, I guess not. Jim sits on my left then?" It was an idle question on my part as I didn't have any real questions.

"No, Jim and Don are escorts only. This isn't a military dinner and they don't participate except to escort." Without turning her head Ecetra looked at me out of the corner of her eye.

"You mean they get all dressed up and we don't allow them to eat with us? That's mean!" I wondered why they did it?

"It may be mean but it is protocol. They are here to make sure no one does any mischief while the Ambassador has his dinner party. It has been this way for over a hundred years, Miss McDonald. Any more questions?" She turned her head and was closely watching me.

"I guess not." I was sorry I asked that first question.

We practiced and practiced some more as Ecetra tutored me on how to walk and how to hold my body. My arms and hands were supposed to be tucked in at all times and not swinging about like a farm hand. Don and Jim would laugh as Ecetra coached me, she would give them a stern look and they would straighten up for a few minutes until I did some clumsy thing like the farm girl I was and then they would laugh again.

Then it was time for table manners. Jim escorted me to the table, I pulled out my chair and received a no, no from Ecetra. "Your escort does that Miss McDonald."

We did it again and I waited for Jim to position my chair. I stepped in front of it and Jim slipped it under me as I plopped down. "No, Miss McDonald. We gracefully sit in our chairs. Try it again."

And again and again, and…, I knew I wasn't polished but Ecetra finally accepted the way I entered the room, took my place at the table and sit up straight. Reminded me of Mrs. Waller, my English teacher who was always admonishing the class to sit up straight and not slouch. She tried to teach manners as much as she taught English.

Ecetra was about to tell me about table etiquette when she looked at her watch. "We will have to wing it, Miss McDonald. As the meal is served, watch me and I'll try to give you instructions by nodding yes or no. I have to get ready as the guests will be arriving any minute. You're free to do what you wish until five minutes before seven. At that time please be upstairs so you may enter behind the Ambassador."

As if on cue, a man and woman dressed to the nines walked into the ballroom. Ecetra smiled, held out her hands and indicated toward a five member band that had taken positions as I was being coaxed in manners in the dinning room. "Mr. and Mrs. Raul Pablo, how nice to see you again. Please."

The band dropped into a soft easy string melody. Standing between Jim and Don I watched Ecetra as I whispered. "What is Ecetra's position here? She's not a…, uh…, she's not a hired hand is she."

Jim got tickled and was trying to hold it in. He was shaking all over as he hung his head and giggled. Don wasn't doing much better but he was the one who answered. "Miss VanDuval is the liaison officer for the Ambassador.

"And that is?" I had heard the phrase but I had no idea what a liaison officer did.

"She makes sure a lot of things work smoothly between our government and the Peruvian government. Announcements of affairs might come from the Ambassador but it's Miss VanDuval who orchestrates the behind the scenes politics to make sure there are no gaffs." Jim finished up for Don.

"She is the one who set up this party Miss McDonald. It's a way of announcing to the world America's All Around Cowboy is safe and enjoying life in the southern hemisphere. The story of you being kidnapped, chased by gunmen, and spirited out of Brazil in the nick of time will die a political death. Swept under the news radar by this party where you will be seen by all the political heads of state. More than the usual amount of news people have been invited to make sure there is ample coverage by the press. The press knows it's a cover up, the political leaders know it's a smoke screen, but the public will believe the tales about you being abducted were tabloid news and nothing more." Don had turned and was talking in a very quiet voice in my right ear. Anyone two feet away wouldn't have heard him.

I turned to look at Don. "YOU'RE KIDDING!"

He gave me a smile and shook his head. "I don't know what you're talking about Miss McDonald."

Jim leaned over my left shoulder. "Welcome to the world of politics and double speak Miss McDonald. Please don't repeat this to anyone or Jim could be court marshaled and sent to military prison."

That was impossible to believe until I turned to look at Jim. He was dead serious. What could be the charge against them? More guests were arriving. Jim and Don left me to mull that over as they stood by the door and watched the guests. They were constantly on the move. I finally figured it out. They were scanning the guests for trouble. This was my introduction to life where everyone was suspect of being a threat to everyone else. So much for growing up on the farm where the biggest threat was Mother Nature.

Ecetra was talking to a man and woman when she motioned me over. "Miss McDonald, I would like for you to meet Peru's leading Doctor of Medicine, Dr. Anton Under and his wife Estel."

Do I shake hands or not? I had no idea until the doctor held out his. "Pleased to meet you Miss McDonald. May I say you are a very beautiful woman. As a model you have no equal. They say you are the All Around Cowboy. I find it hard to believe a young lady like yourself could best those rugged cowboys."

I laughed as I shook his hand. "Please call me J…," I saw a look of 'oh no' in Ecetra's eyes.

"…, call me Katrina, Mr. Under. I'm not a model and I'm afraid you have the mistaken idea of what All Around Cowboy is. I didn't have to wrestle the cowboys for the title. It's an honorary title given for congeniality, not for rough and tumble sports. The other cowboys liked me is all."

A group of people had gathered around us as Dr. Under held onto my hand. He looked me in the eyes. "Ahhh, and modest too. You don't tell the whole truth Miss McDonald. I've seen the pictures of you posing with the new Ford Thunderbird. Ford Motor Company has dropped two million dollars into pushing the All Around Cowboy and their car in an advertising blitz. Time magazine and Road and Track are coming out with a center fold picture of you lying on the hood of that car. Those advertising people at Ford are pretty smart. I've heard rumors about a calendar with you and a different car for every month."

"What I find hard to believe is they tell me you are the best roper to ever pick up a lariat. It is hard to imagine so much talent in such a beautiful package. My sources tell me you had to be in the top ten percent of your events to be considered for the title. They also tell me you and Bill Randall were number one in your class."

I felt the blood rush to my face in embarrassment. "I'm afraid your sources were wrong Mr. Under. I only posed with one car not several. I don't think a calendar would be possible. As far as my roping skills? There are others better. As to being number one? I'm afraid that is wrong too. I didn't have enough points to qualify for that honor. Bill Randall did as he uses Ben Coller as a partner when I'm in school. Uh, was in school. We won the national finals in Reno last year but that didn't make me number one. Again, not enough points. I happened to get lucky to team with the best and get picked for the title is all. I have a smart horse and the number one calf roper for a pardner. They make me look good. The Rodeo Association should have gave that title to Bill Randall or Gunshy instead of me."

Dr. Under laughed as he turned lose of my hand. "Beautiful and modest, you are not a woman to be taken at face value Miss McDonald. It would be a mistake for anyone to underestimate you."

Ecetra took hold of my left arm and steered me around the other direction. "Miss McDonald, may I present the President of Peru. President Manuel Chavez."

I was looking at a medium built man, moustache, kind of pudgy but not fat, with a couple dozen ribbons and medals on his left chest. What was protocol? I had no idea. Being raised on a farm and ridding the rodeo circuit hadn't prepared me for this. I grabbed my skirt, bowed my head, and dipped in respect. "It is an honor to meet you Mr. President."

When I rose up he slightly bowed his head. "The pleasure is all mine Miss McDonald. I can not say when I have been more pleasantly surprised. You are a vision of beauty. You must show me some of your rope tricks I have heard so much about."

He turned to the lady on his right and smiled. "This is my wife Dioah."

Dressed in a soft red, loose fitting, polyester dress, the black haired woman was like her husband, a few pounds overweight but not what I would call fat. Past middle age, she still had enough remaining beauty to claim she had been a gorgeous woman in her youth.

I bowed my head before I looked into her black eyes. "I am so very pleased to meet you, Mrs. Chavez."

She held out her hand. "Please call me Dioah."

I took her hand in mine. "Thank you, that is most kind. Please call me Jake."

It had slipped out and the room became deathly quiet as I realized I had made a gaff. Ecetra looked like she was about to lay an egg.

Dioah laughed as she winked at me with her right eye. "It will be my pleasure Jake. I heard that was the name you went by but I didn't believe it. Tell me, how did you come by that name?"

I went through the story of how daddy wanted a son and I was all he was ever going to get. Since I was the son then I couldn't very well be Katrina so he named me Jake. I never knew the difference until I was in school and by then it didn't matter as I liked the name.

It seemed photographers magically appeared out of nowhere as I was asked to pose with one group of people and then another. I was asked a thousand questions which were all the same. Not one single person asked me about my trip to Brazil or Simon Pladure. This party was my first introduction to orchestrated questions and answers for the benefit of politics and the press.

At five to seven Ecetra lead President Chavez, his wife, and me up stairs. Ambassador Ford and his wife, Ann were waiting. Immediately President Chavez and Ambassador Ford turned and walked down the stairs. Dioah and Ann were six steps behind. That handsome Marine, Jim, and I were six steps behind them. Ecetra and Don were supposedly six steps behind us. I didn't mind the pomp and circumstance and it was quite an education in itself. We walked into the dinning room and the rest of the guests followed.

As Jim seated me I leaned over in his direction. "You want me to save you any food?"

He got tickled and laughed, Ecetra gave him a stern look as the rest of the guests looked over in amusement. Jim straightened up and left without saying anything. I guess we were supposed to have controlled conversation at this dinner party? Small talk with the gentleman on my right bored me out of my skull. Dioah was on my left and she was quite the conversationalist. Cameras weren't allowed in the dinning room. I guess that was so pictures of someone with their mouth full of food wouldn't hit the six o'clock news.

I never knew people could take so long to eat a meal. And it was such a tiny little meal too. At eight the party rose as if on cue and moved to the ballroom.

President Chavez moved in front of me. "May I have this dance Miss McDonald?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. President. I don't know how to dance. I've never danced in my whole life. However if you are willing to teach me I would like to try." I was wishing all this protocol stuff wasn't hanging over my head right now. I had no idea what to do.

He held out his hand. "It would be my pleasure. Please."

I put my hand in his and he led me out to the middle of the room. Oh GREAT! I was going to show the whole party what a klutz I was. The band was playing a soft melody and the President took my right hand in his left. He moved my right hand to the top of his shoulder and put his right hand in the small of my back as he pulled me up close.

"Move with the music and follow me Miss McDonald." One two, one two, one two, he whispered in my ear as he lead me around the dance floor.

After we circled the dance floor one time, other guests and the Ambassador slipped out onto the dance floor. After the number was over President Chavez led me back over to where his wife had been waiting.

"You have either danced before or you are a quick study Miss McDonald. You did well."

I smiled. "You were easy to follow, Mr. President. You're a great leader."

His eyes danced with delight as he nodded. "And you, young lady, are one to be watched."

He looked over at Dioah. "What do you think of our young friend here, my love?"

Diaoh put her arm around her husband's waist and leaned into him. "She will be a powerful ally to her friends and a terrible foe to her enemies. Let's make sure she doesn't think of us as an enemy."

Without answering, Chavez led his wife out to the dance floor as the music started again. I watched as Dioah danced with her husband. She was fluid, smooth, and yes, even sexy. I didn't want to, but I knew I could never compete with Dioah. She was out of my league, big time!

If one could call what I was doing dancing, then I guess I danced with most of the men there that evening. Including Ambassador Ford. President Chavez asked me to show them some rope tricks. I explained I couldn't without a lariat which was a special kind of rope. Lucky for me, no lariats were to be had so I didn't have to make a spectacle of myself.

The evening wore on until twelve and then as if on queue, within ten minutes, everyone was gone. Welcome to the world of protocol, politics, and orchestrated events, Katrina.

As I watched the last of the guests disappear, Ecetra took my hand and led me upstairs. "You have a flight first thing in the morning Miss McDonald."

up
256 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Katrina seems destined for a

Katrina seems destined for a much more interesting life than she thought she would have growing up on the farm.
great story

Jake the Diplomat?

Christina H's picture

She must be having the time of her life meeting presidents and ambassadors going back to the farm will seem boring
after the life of politics spy's and intrigue

Good Work Barbie

Christina

"...Now that they've seen Peru...."

Podracer's picture

However, Jake will be only too glad to walk into that barn again, at least for a while. Her boy Gunshy is waiting too.

"Reach for the sun."

I don't think

covering up Brazil's corruption is doing Jake any favors, especially since they haven't seem to have lost interest in her. She is no longer a threat to them, so this goes beyond covering up a problem.

I suspect Rohous is going to be on a do not trust list from now on.

Oh dear, where to now?

Is she going to Hawaii, or Europe? Maybe the lawyers have things worked out?

Gwen

Jake should read Alice in

Jake should read Alice in Wonderland, because she certainly has fallen down the rabbit hole in this part of her life. All very, very much different than she was ever raised to know about. Hopefully this plane trip is not going to get her back into the hands of the bad guys.Maybe the Ambassador will assign Jim and Don to escort her to her new destination.