Carlotti's Way - Engineblock

Printer-friendly version

Carlotti's Way
Engineblock
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Copyright 15 December 2007

I was awake. I knew I was awake, because the pain told me so. It is said that you don't feel pain in your sleep. So, if I was feeling this, I must have been awake. I don't think I wanted to be awake.

I opened my eyes. Nothing changed, so I held a hand in front of my face. Well, I tried to hold a hand in front of my face. My knuckles encountered something rather solid, and I still couldn't see what was going on. I closed my eyes again. If there's no real difference between closed and open, may as well keep 'em closed and keep stuff from getting in them, right?


I began to feel around and figure out what was going on. I was in a smallish space. I was laying flat on my back, but there was cushion under my head, like a pillow. I had a couple of inches of 'wiggle room' to the left and right both, and the top my hand had hit was about eight inches above my face. If I flexed my foot, there was about the same amount of space below my feet as to each side, and feeling above my head was the same, but above my head was a hollow metal sound when I knocked on it. There was no light coming in anywhere, so either this... box... was airtight, or it was nighttime. I had to hope it was just nighttime, because comfy or not, I had to have air.

After my little exploration, I lie there for a bit and for some reason, just couldn't keep my eyes open.

I was awake. I knew I was awake, because the pain told me so. It is said that you don't feel pain in your sleep. So, if I was feeling this, I must have been awake. Though, it wasn't quite as bad now. I wondered how long I'd dozed. Couldn't have been too long, as it was still dark eyes open or eyes closed, and I was still breathing normal, so either scenario would have played out.

I lie there, again, and started to once again get sleepy. I forced myself to stay awake and then realized I could hear water. Not running water, like from a tap, but like waves washing to and fro. That's what was putting me to sleep. Well, I'd just have to see how long I could stay awake, and began counting out seconds to get a rough time count of minutes passing. One one-thousand, two one-thousand... five fifty-nine one-thousand, six oh one-thousand, six one one-thousand...

I was awake. I knew I was awake, because the pain told me so. It is said that you don't feel pain in your sleep. So, if I was feeling this, I must have been awake. Though, it was much less than that first time now. Damn it all, I'd fallen asleep again. Still dark, open or closed. This was getting tedious, and now I had to wee. I shifted on the cushions below me and started to think about how I'd gotten here.

Why would someone set me adrift in a coffin (as that's what I'd come to think of my box as by now) but make certain I'd be comfortable and warm? There had to have been some planning on the warmth as the cushions seemed to put out a bit of heat, as though filled with fresh water-bottles. My head started pounding again, so I let the train of thought fade. Obviously, it hurt to think.

My other option was to let my mind wander over stuff I didn't have to think about. I'm in a box. I'm on water. Probably the ocean. Most likely somewhere in Cape Cod Bay. How did I get here? Ow. Okay, too specific. Do I have amnesia? My name is Eddie Palmieri. Sometimes known as Eddie the Engineblock. I work for a legitimate businessman. His name's Salvatore Hadrian. Ohh. That's right. I agreed to talk to the cops. Okay, so he's not so legitimate, but he's a businessman, and I've been in it up to my elbows. I want out, I want a real family like you see in the flicks. A house, a little white-type fence, kids, lawn mower... I can't get that being a 'free-range bodyguard' for Heavy Sal Hadrian. Well, looks like Sal got wind of me. I tried to tell the cops there was no way to get me out.

* * * * * * *

"Look, we've been trying to nail Salvatore 'Heavy Sal' Hadrian to the wall for years, and now the Feds are snooping around. We want to get him before they do, and someone close to him like you is a chance we won't let get messed up, Ed," pleaded the guy, both hands flat on the table in the little room, leaning over the surface toward me. Sheesh. He wasn't but a kid. Maybe 20, geeky-looking fella with Buddy Holly glasses, and clichéd. Brown suspenders over a white button-up shirt, nappy blond hair cut in that dorky wave that geeks think look so snappy.

"It's Eddie, not Ed," I grinned, "and if you've been trying to catch him so long, then you know what he's capable of, he finds out I'm defecting, get me? How can I get out without him knowing or coming after me?"

"Look. I give you not my word, because I don't think that would be good enough for you, but the word of the entire Boston Greater Metropolitan police force, that our contact inside is the best at what he does. He's the one that tipped us you might be willing to jump on the shop," he said as he stood back up and put his hands in his pockets.

I chuckled. "Kid, er, sorry. Officer, the saying is 'jump ship' not 'jump on the shop,' and I'm telling you, your insider has to have been made already. Heavy Sal doesn't have people checked out. He checks them out his own self, and he was a private dick in the seventies, before he decided to engage in extralegal-type activties. Nobody gets in that organization without him knowing every skeleton in their closet on a first name basis. They may think they do, but they don't. I won't be telling you kind gentlemen anything, unless you can guarantee me out under those circumstances."

He looked up at the mirror in the room -- which anyone that's watched any cop shows or flicks since 1960 knows is a window with his bosses on the other side where toughs like me can't see 'em. I was beginning to like the kid, he really was trying, and he was just his organization's version of me. A working stiff trying to impress the honchos.

The door opened and a couple of suits filed in, and introduced themselves, but I wasn't paying attention. Their names weren't as important to me as the kid's, and his was more out of curiosity now, and I could do without it. I think he'd given it to me already, but at the time, I didn't care as much as I would for rat-testicle soup.

"Mr. Palmieri --"

"Eddie," put in the kid. I was really starting to like him. I wonder if he plays golf?

With an annoyed-type look at the kid, the suit started again, "Eddie, then. Eddie, we really need this. Crawford wasn't just talking out his ass when he gave you word of all of us. We have over one hundred officers at different levels working on the Hadrian case at any one time. There's not a meatier main course for us. You will be removed as quickly as it can be arranged, and Hadrian, while he'll know you were gone, will not know how you did it, how we did it, and will never be able to point a triggerman at you. I swear on my mother's soul -- and yes, she's dead, died at 72 last year."

"What's his name?" I asked.

The other suit was the one that answered oh-so-intelligently, "What?"

"I said, 'What's his name?'" I repeated.

"Whose name?" asked Crawford (gotta remember that).

"The guy that'll be getting me out," I answered.

"He won't be using his real name while undercover, Eddie," said the first suit.

"Oh," I replied, "I know. But if you really have a guy in there already, one - you'll know his name and two - I gotta know who it was could beat Hadrian's background check."

The suits looked at each other and did that thing with the puffing out cheeks and rubbing a hand up over the face from the chin to the forehead and back over the hair. In unison. I wondered if they practiced that.

"Robin Carlotti."

The suits whipped around with angry faces to stare at my buddy Crawford as I grinned.

"Alright, fellas. That wins you my cooperation. You have three weeks to get me safe or I change my mind and tell Hadrian what you've told me today," I said and then stood up and held out my hand for them to shake.

* * * * * * *

Yeah. Heavy Sal had to have gotten wind of what happened, and here I am. I really have to go to the bathroom.

Well, if Sal's killed me, I hope the cops get the jerk. This is no way to die. I'll suffocate before I starve, at least.

I'm told that it's a peaceful way to go, when it's not a pillow being held over you.

You gently just drift off to sleep and then never wake up.

I was awake. I knew I was awake, because the pain told me so. It is said that you don't feel pain in your sleep. So, if I was feeling this, I must have been awake. Though, it was just a vague echo of that first time. These naps must be awfully short, because I'm still not having trouble breathing.

I let my thoughts drift over all the bad things I've done for Heavy Sal Hadrian, over the years.

Oh, at first, it wasn't so bad.

* * * * * * *

"Hiya, Eddie," said a man's voice I vaguely recognized, "you doin' good in school?"

It was Papa's friend Sal.

"Yes, Mister Hadrian," I replied, "three A's, two B's and only one C last report card." I was rightfully proud of my achievement.

"What grade're you in now ...fifth? ...sixth?" he asked with a grin.

"Eighth," I answered, and fought the scowl at being called a little kid back. Wouldn't do to let Papa know I'd been rude to his friend.

"Eighth grade? Already?" he asked, and looked surprised. So it was just an honest mistake, after all. I was glad I'd hidden that scowl.

"Yessir. Last year before high school," I replied, all puff-chested and proud.

"Well. At your age, a young man has to start thinking about the important things. College is in your future, m'boy," he said with a big grin.

"You want I should go to college? I want to, but I don't think Papa makes enough. I mean, I shined his shoes for a week for enough to buy that comic book," I pointed at the four-color treasure through the window of the shop he'd stopped me outside of.

"Ah, but Eddie, do you know what a scholarship is?" he asked. "It's money from companies and even the government for kids what make good grades to go to college and continue their learning educations. And a young man can get a job. In fact, I'll tell you what. I'll help you out. You come to me with your next report card and show me you have nothing lower than a B, and I'll have some work for you. You can save up what you make from me, and with the better grades, get better scholarships and then you can get to go to college."

I didn't buy the comic. I went home and got a big gallon-pickle jar from Mama and put some masking tape on it, then wrote on it with a black marker, 'College,' and put my fifty-five cents in it. Any money I got after that from chores or even just finding it on the sidewalk went in that jar -- or the others that came after it. When Christmas break came, I went to find Mister Hadrian, and showed him my straight-A's report card. From that day on, just before my fourteenth birthday, I was in the employ of Salvatore Hadrian, Private Investigator.

I'd run and get cigars from the Tobaccanist. I'd get the morning and evening papers from the newsboy on the corner. I'd shine the shoes for the fellas waiting to see him in his office. I'd take a letter across town on the bicycle Sal bought for just such a purpose.

"Keep it," he'd say, "you've earned a bonus, you're a good worker."

It was a few good years, and my pickle jars were in my closet.

* * * * * * *

There was a click and a quiet hissing that interrupted my memory replay. I waited for the poison to take me. This. This would be Heavy Sal Hadrian's style. I waited. Nothing. Maybe he picked something I'm immune to?

I was awake. At least, I thought I was awake. I moved my leg. Yep. I knew I was awake, because the pain told me so. It is said that you don't feel pain in your sleep. So, if I was feeling this, I must have been awake. Though, I had to move now to feel the pain. And it looked like I'd fallen asleep again. Wait. Wasn't I just gassed? I was quickly becoming thankful that I wasn't claustrophobic. Aw, man... I think I had pissed myself.

I lie there a few moments, just listening to the sounds of the water washing up and down. Yeah, I may as well sleep, right? Whazzat? Is that a motor?

I knocked on the roof of my coffin.

"Hey!" I yelled, but decided not to yell anymore. I could tell the cushions were muffling it. Wait, above my head is metal. I began banging on it for all I was worth.

Then I heard a voice between bangs, "There's someone in there! Call the Cops, or the Coast Guard or something!"

up
44 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Whoa!

What a beginning Edeyn! Heavy Sal is sounding like a real hard case here. Waiting for eagerly for the next post.
hugs!
grover

Eddie the Engineblock

laika's picture

...is a GREAT mob name! I'd never seen it before, & it says everything about how his paisans perceive his character. Good opportunity to tell a lot of important backstory, hangin' around in a box like that. Fuckin' rat got what he deserved- oops, sorry! That was my Italian side talking....... Great to see you posting here again, Edeyn- a cool story to return with after your novel-writing hiatus..... Now what? Some creative soul from the Witness Protection Program gonna put him into a life where Sal & his goons will never think to look? Hee Hee!
~~~hugs & cannoli, Laika

Oh wow!

This looks like an excellent start to a great story! I love how nicely the flashbacks were woven into the present day thread. Even though I suspect the main character may have done some things that weren't exactly on the level, he still feels like a decent person that's easy to empathize with. I'm looking forward to the next chapter in this story. It's so good to see you posting your wonderful stories again. :)

{{{warm huggs}}}


Heather Rose Brown
Writer--Artist--Dreamer