Havens Salvation Chapter 6-2 Plays in Motion

Printer-friendly version
Celtic_Animal_Ornament_0.png
sweet-fantasy-h-mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-gifs_largejpggif_thumb.jpg
Havens Salvation
6-2
Plays in Motion
Any resemblances to any person living or dead is purely coincidental.
Copy Rite 2014 Michele WhiteWolf

Editorial salvation by djkauf

Creative Consultancy by Bailey Summers, and my two girls Anna and Crystal
Ms Mary Adelaide Wilkinson [ my mother who dragged me all over the back roads of Colorado bringing those historical souls back to life. ]
With out all of the efforts from the above this story would never seen the light of an audience.

Monday Monday

Sam

I was up early the next morning having tossed ,and turned all night long thinking about those Red Necks and their idea of a joke. Something was off about how they acted so stupid to think four pounds of C4 was, 'one 'going to be easy to get, and 'two' using that much explosive could be seen as a joke.

The clincher was watching the Alpha Red Neck sneak up, infiltration style, on my outside security camera, just to slip a note into my trailer rear roll up door. I had been played, and that pissed me off. That jack ass came close to getting drilled by my 9mm Glock.

It was dumb not to push on to Summer House last night but I couldn't make up my mind to go there or Bellingham. So I stopped at Lake Stevens for the night to rest and think. I should have kept to my self and kept my mouth shut. But there was a chance they were stupid enough to try their stunt that's why I got involved. My heart was in the right place ; I just have a problem reading people who are not up front in their trying to kill me.

I reached into my watch pocket of my jeans and took our my great decider. I tossed my Janus coin to decide many things in my life. Summer Town won. Again I had the feeling there was something up there, some one or some thing special to me. I Time for some damage control I needed to get some where I can dig a hole and go to ground laying low out of sight for a while. So Summer Town was just as good as any other whereabouts.


New Lodge

Betty

With our new apartment my commute to work was easy. Because I was living just 75 feet away from my office I had no more silly excuses for being late to work. Also because it was under ground it's safe from prying eyes and weather delays.

It was sweet for both James and Melisa to help us with the move from the condo. James using
his portage device making the move entertainingly spooky., we would hear the tiny bell ring a disembodied arms would reach through the shimmering opaque hole in the air, depositing our packed luggage into the kitchen. The luggage was followed by James 'the wolf' with a small satchel in his mouth like the family wolf was helping. He He He.

The move solved part of the problem of keeping me working here with out being. recognized. My job had a public portion to it that I could not escape . I had an idea but I needed to run it past Louise.

The first order of business was filing the Township’s Charter. That was going to be a joint task requiring both Louise, and I focus, uninterrupted all day. So the town hall was closed we brewed a fresh pot of Heavenly Brew French Roast, we got a plate of sugary sweets from the Cornucopia and after a half hour planing session, we got down to brass tacks.

Louise

When Betty and I get a head of steam up to do a job we can move mountains. We fuel our efforts with caffeine, followed by a sugar chaser. This is a potent and mystical formula which keeps us focused and driven to complete the job.

Mike had gotten a lot of the drudge work done and the dear man had a check list of the information he needed to get from me. That got me to run to my office upstairs to find the remaining information required . That only took half an hour. With that done the two of sat down with an organized table between us. Then Betty announced it's “Show Time” dialing the number for the county office responsible for this issue.

Taking Care of Business

Betty

I always need to take a moment to change mental gears before dealing with any one governmental. The biggest shift for me was remembering that I was talking to a personality with no sense of humor and totally literal like a computer. There are so many protocols and nuisances to observe as they were large and in charge.

The last gulp of coffee was just settling my nerves when I dialed the number to the county regulation office. I was on automatic with my professional patter loaded in my mind. There was so much hinging on me getting this first impression correct. On the sixth ring the phone was answered by a sweet sounding operator asking how she may direct my call.

“ My name is Betty White Owl and I am the Haven township manager. I need to talk to someone in the Registrars office concerning our township’s Continued Incorporation declaration.”

“ Thank you, ah here it is please hold while I transfer you.”

“ Thank you, have a good day”

“ You’re welcome” Came back in a surprised tone.

“County Records Filing Department Glen speaking”

The voice was gruff but somewhat familiar.

“This is Betty White Owl of Haven Township our Id number is 626213b 784. I have inherited a record keeping mess I need help untangling and I was told you’re the best person to help me”

“As I live and breath is that really you Betty This is Grumpy, long time no see, doll.”

My nerves relaxed at this announcement. I have worked with the G Man on many projects, involving the various clients I have worked with. Each time I found him he had been moved to some another department. Luckily for me they were the ones I needed to talk to.

“ Well do tell G man what’s new with you, buddy?”

In my best hail fellow well met voice.

“Well let me see my daughter Terry finally made Bob an honest man after the second baby girl.”

“Grand Pa Smurf retired so my son Max has taken over the family farming business. Max has a real feel for the job and is diversifying his product line which is doing well. “

“The wife is really good lost another 30 lbs and fits into her wedding dress again. “

“My niece Jacky is working over in the State Patrol office and informs me that a little blue bird ,AKA Bruce, told her about some strange rumored acts of Daring Do that are credited to you. But that’s nothing like you, is it Betty.?”

“ Well tell me what the rumors are and from the horse’s mouth to your ears I will confirm or deny culpability.”

“ Let me see , You busted a big time drug dealing, and slum lord section 8 theft.”

“ Yes “

“you iced a seriously psychotic child beating monster ”

“I am embarrassed to say yes”

“Then trapped two slimy, slithering con artist’s in the act of impersonating county officials while transporting vermin and who were in the possession of illegal weapons.”

“ Oh yes and that felt soooo good getting them after all of their stunts.”

“ ha ha ha Betty you are one of a kind, did I miss anything.”

“Oh just like I said I have taken on the job of being the New Township’s manager here in Haven.”

“Oh that's what you are talking about. Still in the business of pulling others Bacon out of the flames? What made you decide to become a professional and step up to the really insane work?”

“ A bit more than that this time it's personal G man; this time I have found the place we need to settle down. I am now working for my self and my family for a change.”

“Great to hear Betz , Jen would approve you know, it's what she would want for you and the kids. I know her passing has kept you constantly on the run. If anybody has earned ,and deserves a break, it's you , doll. You have helped so many people, saving their jobs, homes, their business. Good God girl it's past time for you to be a little selfish and work for your self as well. How do the kids like it there, Haven is a pretty small burg ?”

“ So far so good, they like the school, we have a very nice place to live, and we have been adopted by a very large dog the kids call James. We just fit in here with every one. It's an Odd ball place but I mean that in a good way. Life moves very differently here. We have a lot less stupid people stuff happening, if you follow me?”

“Yes I do we spent our honey moon there that's where Max was conceived. In fact I think all three kids were conceived in Haven at the Hot Springs lodge. The wife and I liked it so much we spent several vacations there. It's a very special place, fitting a very special family. So Ms Township Manager tell the G man how I can help you.”

“ Well let me see , can I put you on speaker phone the mayor and I are alone and you may need to ask her questions to.?”

“Sure thing Betz I have already done the same here I have cleared my docket for the day. I have my secretary here, ready to make this thing happen.”

“Say hello to the G man Louise, pardon me Ms Mayor.”

“Hi G man this is Louise Jefferson Mayor of our fine village.”

“Hello Louise, good to meet you, Take care of that women she is a treasure.

“ So Betty why are you so late, usually you’re early.”

“ I just got this job last Thursday and I’m going through the paper work I found. The last person died on the job before they got the filing done. I started a mad search, to find the necessary paper work and found all of it, on Sunday afternoon. The former officer who did this job had partially completed paperwork and the supporting documentation. I am trying to get this done making it as easily for you as I can.”

“Let me see what you already have gotten done start faxing what you have. Here is my private fax number. “

So began the longest day of my life. It was nail biting all the way as we inched through all of the steps we needed to complete the filing before close of business tomorrow.

Taking a Run

James

Yesterday Betty asked if I could take a run around the perimeter of the barrier, looking if I could spot if anything else was wrong. Betty reasoned that because I helped with the Barrier's original physical construction ,and the energy set up, and the fact I could run it quickly. It is good to see Betty is starting to think on a tactical level. She must have learned that from her time working with legal system. She's now putting that knowledge to use by thinking on several levels of threat or solutions at the same time. She needs to look ahead and constantly maintain a situational awareness of what is or is not a threat. That is the key to the type of mindset Betty needs to culture, so as to properly protect Haven from attacks on both the physical and the magical fronts. Betty has broken the modern mind set that blinds most modern people. If it is nay chewing on their leg, or chasing them around the house they nay notice it.

Running with wolfs.

James

Malissa was the home guard, so Lilly and I could go for a run. Lilly can use the training and experience, in how to work with another of her race. Her and I start hiking into the out back through the woods that are still familiar to me. We were just hiking like any one else would .

When we got out of sight in a flash Lilly went full wolf and took of like a shot fall leaves flying in the air. I followed of course and you know about wolves loving chasing things. I must give Lilly credit she is fast and nimble for such a youngster. I knew all of this back country from living here but time changes things. I have nay ran it since coming back but I will know what I am looking at, but for now I was just running for the joy of it.

It was a merry chase and before we knew it we were there. There was a small ridge line overlooking the barriers edge here. At that moment the joy we were sharing was evaporated, replaced with dread. The barrier was being attacked by dark magic. From our vantage point I saw that the barrier had shrunk away from its intended position, and is now bowed inward. There was a high pitch crying sound I knew was from the barrier signaling distress. A pile of those dam black stones, Lilly has been talking about, was resting on the barrier in a pile about three feet deep and was what was bowing the barrier inward. The stones were coming out of a old mine shaft higher up the hill, then tumbling down and spreading either direction out of sight at a much shallower depth. .

Lilly broke the silence.

“That's not right can you hear that awful shrieking high pitch sound James.”

“Ai lass, I do at that and its nay a good sound to be hearing. It's telling me the barrier is in danger of collapsing here. That would allow that filth to spread willy nilly all over this sacred grove. We’re being invaded by a very potent source of what we are trying to keep out. This must be the work of a necromancer or some dumb witches circle nay knowing what they are playing with.”

“What can we do big guy, this is way out of my league.”

“We find shelter and camp here for the night. Then do some scouting to discover how bad this is. I am porting back to the Keep to gather some things I need to beat this back now!”

Standing Down

Sam

As I pulled into Summer Town The first thing I did was to feed my truck [Iron Horse,] including my reserve tank in the trailer. I next stopped at an IGA, getting ice ,energy drinks a few things like bread milk, steaks and spuds. Nothing like the crappy food at county lock up, to make some one hungry for steaks and spuds. That part only took thirty minuets, The next was finding an out of the way camp grounds. The one I decided on was on a remote corner of town and had a couple of sites that were away from the the rest. I had made my reservations over the internet via my smart phone and I picked the farthermost site It was one of the cheapest as it only had the basic hookups and it was quite a distance from the service center. When I was checking in the owner asked what is my pleasure was this visit.

I told them I wanted time to sleep to when ever I want to, and to be by my self so I could hear my self think.

“Well you came to the right place for that, and that is our best spot. We have some writers who come here in the summer to write or recharge . I will keep the campers on the front part near our store you enjoy your self ”

“That's good it is just what the Dr ordered me to do, so I will not be much of a bother.”

“Friend you folks seldom are we like having you as a customer, enjoy your stay”


Prescription filled

I pulled into my site and was immediately impressed by how quiet it was. In short order, I had grilled my steak and roasted my spuds. Sitting in my camper section at my table with a glass of wine I savored every mouthful of my dinner..
I built my habitat space to be compact as my trailer was just so big, and I needed to leave room for the rest of my other things. Like my Bike needs a nest, and so does the rest of my essential gear.

I was now fed well, so like a lion, with full belly I had no problem getting to sleep. Tonight I hope the dreams leave me alone, I know I am safe here I just hope that inner demon which is trying to protect me understands that to.


Mending Fences

Betty

This part of the process is the hardest on me. Bureaucracy's can not be pushed they have their own speed, like cold molasses. We were between steppes and waiting for one pm. the end of lunch. Our progress was ok, there were a lot of hurdles and rings to jump through for the county, but I stayed pleasant thanking the person on the phone for there help. But I need to do something to get my mind off this worry ,and onto something else.

I had just finished my cob salad, Bob sent over, when I had a brain storm that was a win win situation. I went to the Sunday Seattle Times and found the article about how the smaller growers were hurting for labor, by being out bidden by the big companies who used Labor Brokers. I remember that there was a local connection to be found just up the RR tracks. I got Louise on the intercom to run the idea past her.

“Louise I think I have found a way to start mending the fences between us and the First People, they are in desperate need of pickers and packers, So why not do a swap our labor for their gleanings and what ever surplus they may have.”

“ That's a great idea Betz we could offer them the use of the old produce loading docks. Cassy has the Haven shuttle running she that she uses to bring in the hay. We could bring the products here to allow the produce people a short hall out point, we use to do that when Ann was here. Let me see what I can round up in the line of worker and get Cassy to open up the loading docks and get them up running. Betty this is the type of stuff we need to do for us. It is a brill idea love, thank you.”

Helping Hands

Betty

Finding the number for the contact person Greta Brown the phone was picked up by a friendly sounding older women.

“Upper Skagit tribal Operations office Greta Brown speaking, how can I help you.”

“ Hi Ms Brown this is Betty White Owl I am the new Township manager for Haven. I think...”

I was cut off by an eager voice

“Oh you’re the one stirring the pot over in that sleepy burg. Please pardon me for jumping in, it is rumored you are skin.”

"Yes I am from both sides of my family we were a Lakota, Blackfeet ,Scottish mix and I got all the hard hotheadedness from all of the clans both sides of the big waters.”

“Good its time they get someone sensible in that job. How can I help you today.?”

“Well Ms Brown I wanted to offer you some help getting in your harvest this year I have the Mayor calling around so I can give you some numbers of people. Willing to help. The young ones can pick and us older gals can pack heck even my two kids will throw in to sweeten the deal.”

“ Wow this is a surprise I need to run that past Strong Bear he is our farming manager, if this fly’s we can pay you by the case harvested and on the truck, like we do the others.”

“ Well we had a different type of compensation thought out, if you are game.? We would like to glean the fields and have any surplus you may wish to get rid of. You folks need the money to keep operational there and this will I hope start the process of mending some hard feelings Haven has gathered from being absent for these ten years.

We also can offer you the use of the produce loading docks down here, so you have an edge on those farther away. With them having Lower shipping costs should help you a bit, I understand we did this in the past and every thing is still there and useable, we are checking out the cooling rooms now.”

There was silence on the other end then Greta continued.

“Are you authorized to offer this Betty.?”

“Ran it past the mayor Louise ten minutes ago and she gave me the green light. If you want give her a call when we are done and hash out the details with her. It's past time to be good neighbors again.”

“ I still need to talk to Strong Bear and Louise and I will get back to you latter how does that sound.”

“Sounds like a plan have a good day talk to you later, Greta.”

The garden on Man

Maggie fussed along the edges of her garden that was in grave need of some T L C Her responsibilities have really taken the fire out of her the last last few weeks. Even with all of the energetic support the council has given her the very fact her stately pace of life was disrupted caused her much duress.

But the good news is so far her student Betty has shown herself to be all of what Maggie prayed for her to become. The council scoffed at the fact Maggie took the scrawny young changeling under her tutelage. Their was a spirit within that confused mind that when trained and disciplined could perform the most complected spell work with out error or improvisation. You can not , just wing if you lost your place or forgot a key phrase. Betty just patiently worked her way through each lesson sometimes well into the dark of the night following every nuance she was taught. There was a mind not a calculator going through the motions inside of Betty allowing her to complete her apprenticeship with in six years rather than nine.

But at the instruction of the Orders Crone mother, at the time , Maggie had woven a power control spell with in Betty preventing her from accessing full energetic flow before Betty was pronounced ready. Now one of the most powerful of the old Fey was claiming Betty as her vassal for one of the most critical posts in all of the world.

The only warning Maggie saw was the shadow of the raven passing over head and the slap of wings bringing it to rest behind her.

“ Speak of the being and so mote it be.” Maggie thought'.

“Merry Meet my fine women Maggie of the Isles how be you today. “

Turning to face her addressee. With a sigh of resignation Maggie address the Phantom Queen her selves.

“My Ladies Morrigan I am honored for you to visit my humble home. How is it may I serve you my Queen.?”

“I can see where Betty received her manners, when addressing us, you have taught her well. I have but some questions concerning your student, my lady Maggie is Betty ready for the responsibilities that are quickly overtaking her. Will she stand and fight like all creation depends on her. And do you profess her ready for you to remove the power warding you so skillfully woven to protect all against mishaps. “

“My Ladies, Betty's' life has all been about responsibilities, and the proper dispatch of them. “

“As for her willingness to fight.? Try to stop her from fighting now she has a home to stand and hold.”

“And last, Yes I have removed the warnings allowing them to gradually fade so Betty has no nasty surprises. “

“Yes my lady's, Morrigan I pronounce my student to be fully ready to meet her fate, and best it. Or die trying. There is no chance she will run or hide that is not her way. To date she has fought every battle until victorious, or released by those she fought for. She has won by not being captured or dieing. And now she has sees her self like the 300 at Thermopylae “

“Maggie is there anything you wish to share with me about your student.?”

“Just believe in her just as sure as you believe in James or myself.”

“From your mouth to my ears Maggie. You do understand that I do trust you and by your word now I will trust Betty

so mote it be.

Merry part Maggie to merry meet again. Be in good health my friend.”

With a flourish of her arms the Morrigan became an enormous raven and flew away. And in the moment of parting Maggie started to feel physically a lot better, and her energy returned in gentle waves.

Facing the sitting sun Maggie started to pray.
“Blessed be this day as it ends and of all things that must end with it.
Blessings be to this land and to this garden and all that dwells with in.
Thankful be I to have lived such a fine and full life and to know such good people.
And special blessings to all who have opposed me for the lessons in patience and acceptance I

have learned through them.

"So Mote it Be.”.
Futurus Persevero
[To be Continued]

Remember your comments are the Tiermisu in a writers life our egos need to know how we are doing so please comment.

up
134 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The pot has been stirred

and the heat is on. The question now is how the bad guys will react. They are obviously actively trying to bring down Haven, but we also have Sam who is slowly making her way there too. So many things going on!

hugs
Grover

Dark Stones

terrynaut's picture

I don't like the sound of those dark stones. I hope James and Betty can stop the assault. Grrrrrr!

I like how Betty took control of the bureaucratic hoops. Of course she had timely help from a good friend. It didn't sound like a coincidence. That's wonderful.

This is a wonderful story. Please keep up the good work.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry