Of Heroes And Villains Flashbacks I

Printer-friendly version
Of Heroes And Villains

Of Heroes And Villains

In which a superhero meets his match, masks are uncovered and a mad scientist just tries to get some mad science-ing done without getting distracted by the antics of her magical minion.

Fanart by the talented Ian Samson, creator of City of Reality and artist of The Wotch


Author's Note: I'll be posting a series of small oneshots expanding on the characters a bit before moving on to the proper sequel. Enjoy!

First up: Why did Captain Patriot try to friend Shade so hard?



David is scared.

Scratch that, David is fucking terrified.

Eldritch Eclipse smiles and raises her hand, silver light gathering in her palm to strike him down, like she struck down his teammates. They are lying scattered to his feet, broken and defeated. And now he is next.

He can’t move. Why won’t his legs move?

Everyone expected him to lead, just because he wears this costume. Just because his father is Captain Patriot, the greatest Hero of all time. As if David has any idea what he’s doing.

He’s only been a hero for two months.

Her hand comes down and that terrible blinding light is racing toward him.

And then something slams into him from the side, and the light gets swallowed by darkness. Vertigo envelops him and suddenly he is elsewhere, stumbling, his knees buckling.

“Learn to dodge,” a deep voice snaps.

David never has to dodge. Everything just slides off his impervious body.

His shoulder is burning. Eldritch Eclipse had landed a hit there, and the skin is red and blistered. Is this pain? It has to be.

David slowly raises his head and stares at his savior.

Nobody has ever snapped at him before. They all just worship the ground he walks on. Well, the ground the boots of his father walk on.

“Who are you, dude?”

The man draws his black hood deeper over his face.

“I am Shade. And now listen close, newbie.”

And then follows a long, long lecture about why frontal assaults are a terrible idea. How to distract a villain by getting them to monologue. Why you should always dodge, even if you’re invulnerable, because you never know what nasty side effects that energy ray can have.

David listens eagerly. No one has ever just sat him down and given him such basic beginner tips and tricks. They all just assumed he knew.

And then Shade lays out his plan to save David’s teammates.


***


They save the day.

His teammates slap him on the back, congratulating him on being just like his father.

David cranes his neck and looks for Shade, but he is gone, vanished into his shadows.


***



David runs into Shade a couple more times over the next few weeks. He may be going out of his way to run into him.

Shade gets so annoyed at his presence.

It’s wonderful.

David can’t help but laying it on really thick, just to hear that exasperated sigh. But no matter how annoyed, Shade never gets truly mean. He’ll just give quiet snarky responses, revealing a dry dark humor David quite likes. Sometimes he’ll just up and teleport away in the middle of their conversation.

Nobody else ever takes that tone with David. He loves it. He is so tired of the hero worship. He hasn’t earned it.


***



David finds out that Shade is dating Dazzling Dawn, who belongs to the Tenacious Teens, a supergroup of teenage heroes who are now young adults, making their supergroup name a bit of a relic.

So he starts hanging out with them a little more. They are delighted to have a living legend among them, giving their low-profile group quite a bit of status. David can’t be sure, but he has the feeling Shade is rolling his eyes under that hood at their reaction to him. David agrees.

David notices that Shade always stands apart from the others. The only one he really talks to is Dawn.

In fact, David doesn’t know of any heroes who are friends with him.


***



Shade and Dawn break up, and then Shade stops hanging out with the Tenacious Teens.

They don’t seem to miss him at all.

So when they are out drinking one night at the E, David prods them a little about their thoughts on the taciturn vigilante.

“Shade, man!” Texplosion laughs, his southern drawl especially pronounced when he is drunk. “Good riddance. He is a freak.” He shares a knowing look with Dawn, who fidgets uncomfortably. “Get this, he told Dawn that…”

There is the distinct sound of an energy projectile being fired, and Tex shuts up, wincing. Dawn glares.

David frowns. “Shade’s a good guy,” he offers tentatively.

“He is cold,” says PsyKick in a soft voice.

“Yeah, Shade has all the warmth of a freeze ray.”

“And has just about its sense of humor.”

David balls his fists under the table and says nothing. Then he gets up under the pretense of getting more drinks. As he stands at the counter, silently fuming, PsyKick comes up to him.

“He is not a good person, you know.”

David turns around and frowns at the psychic hero.

“I catch glimpses of his mind sometimes.” PsyKick fidgets uncomfortably; they all know that his powers sometimes invade their privacy without him meaning to, but they generally don’t talk about it. “It’s… not a good place. A lot of rage, a lot of hate. I tried talking to him a little, we all have, but he just shuts us down, even Dawn. He wears Psy-Blockers now.”

“Shade’s a good guy,” David repeats, wishing that he were eloquent, that he could put his thoughts into words. Shade is kind, in his way. He is never cruel to David, even though he can tell that he dislikes him. And his sense of humor is fine; it’s just very subtle.

“Shade is going to snap one day.” PsyKick’s voice is so very gentle, and that makes it worse. “He hates villains so much, it’s not healthy. I wouldn’t want to be near him when it happens.”

David sputters. Shade, a fallen hero? No. Yes, his loathing of villains goes far and beyond what is normal. Yes, he is a little rougher with the criminals he apprehends. Okay, yes, it sometimes borders on homicidal violence.

But…

But.

Shade just needs a friend.

And at that moment Captain Patriot decides that he is going to be that friend.

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Awww...

Thats so sweet, and shows that David is a true hero, he cares, and can see that for all the rough edges that Shade is a good... er...person, and he tries to help the best he can.

Thanks for sharing this look into "Captain DudeBro's" mind.


Vita est brevis. Occupo quis tripudium vos reperio.
-Life is short. Seize what joy you find.

David...

...is a far better hero than he realizes :)

Smarter than he appears.....

D. Eden's picture

It is apparent that there is more to the good Captain than he gives himself credit for. He is bothered by the blind worship, feeling he hasn't earned it.

He realizes that he has limitations and wishes he could be more than he is. He is heartened by the fact that Shade isn't in awe of him, and he craves the honest way that Shade treats him. He even realizes that even though Shade doesn't like him, he tolerates him and tries to help him.

Even this far back we see through Captain Patriot that our brooding hero, Shade, cares about people.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Perfect summary

...of what goes on inside David's head! :)

Powers with cardboard people attached

But instead you have real three dimensional people with all their strengths and fault with powers. It's great! David is so human for all that he's powerful. The idea that he deliberately egged Shade on to treat him as just a normal guy is just so funny.

Laugh as you may, Capt. Dudebro succeeded! He said he was going to be Shade's friend, and he did! Whoa Dude!!!

Now the Captain says he's going to save Amethyst. Smart money would not bet against him! :)
Hugs
Grover

Woah Dude! Excellent!

David may take a long, winding path, but he gets to his goals. Eventually. After getting turned around a bit :) Now, if that will hold up with Amethyst... *winks*

Great chapter, Looking forward to many more hopefully

So far I've enjoyed your stories a lot Minikisa... and this chapter doesn't fail to live up to what I've come to hope from you :P

Nice to see that Captain Dudebro has always known he's not as good as his father and has tried to become better... Live in someone's shadow can cause a lot of damage and it seems that the Captain takes a good path out of the darkness... Will be interesting to see how you develop and continue his character...

Also, redeeming Amethyst? Yeah, not betting against him either...

Let the flames of inspiration blaze within, and the sky be less of a limit, and more of a challenge

Redeeming Amethyst

...is far from an easy task. Is David up to it? We shall seeee.

Is Captain Patriot supposed

Is Captain Patriot supposed to be a combination of Captain America and Superman?

He certainly seems to be the all round good guy. I wonder how he will try and save Amethyst Star.

If Supes

and Wonder Woman had a son, I can see him being like this. Imagine trying to live up that kind of legend and expectations. I mean like no way, right? The so very funny thing is I can see Kara and David being a damn effective team. Their powers really compliment each others. The Captain punches you from the front while Shade gets you in the back. Game over man, game over! :)

As for how he'll try to save her, that's going be a tough question. We all know how socially inept David is, so ... send her flowers? :)

Hugs
Grover

Yes

David is the equivalent of Superman's son :) The original Captain Patriot was THE most iconic hero in the world. David has a lot to live up to, and it gets hard for him.

Shade and the Captain do indeed make an excellent team!

Nice to see some human

gpoetx's picture

Nice to see some human element to it combined with a little origin. Also nice to see you back so quickly...

I'm not going anywhere

Because I got 27 chapters of the sequel written and goshdarnit, I can't wait to post them all!

He does!

Glad you liked it ^_^

Interesting...

I find it interesting to get a deeper look into David's mind here, and see the world though his eyes. Please keep up the wonderful work here :)

Peace be with you and Blessed be

I intend to

:3

David has a pretty interesting perspective; I really enjoy writing him.

Points of views are important

Melange's picture

That's what I love about third-person perspective novels - that you get a view from, well, several perspectives. From Shade's point of view during the first series, Captain Dudebro came across as a vacant-eyed fraternity hero just surfing along on the waves of his reputation. Now we get to share what David feels, the insecurities and the staggering expectations. I really, really liked that :D

Thanks for painting a bigger picture for us, Kisa-person!

(So, if Amy's Flambeaux, does that make Captain Patriot... Dillo?)

Hoorb

My poor bb Amethyst ;_; Still compared to Flambimbeaux.

...Dillo is a surprisingly apt comparison. Quite smart, but not good with the making of air noises.

My mind

my mind keeps supplying the name "Captain Parrot" instead of Patriot. Kinda fits with his not too smart image too...
:-)

Anne Margarete

Kindhearted

Tas's picture

Captain Dudebro is a lot of things, but he's not oblivious and he's not uncaring. The guy has a heart of gold.

-Tas