Julina of Blackstone - 012 - A Busy Time And A Dark Cloud

Printer-friendly version

Julina's second day of 'freedom' gets far busier and grittier than expected

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

012 — A Busy Time And A Dark Cloud


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
012 — A Busy Time And A Dark Cloud

I met Swayga as I turned round — as it was no longer my responsibility to do all the wake-up chores, it was inappropriate for me to take priority. But she was kindness itself and said that I should do my immediately necessary relief and by then there should be some hot water for us to share, Kords being in charge of that. So I relieved the immediate pressure and then helped unbank and rekindle the fires that were so very necessary as the morning chills were becoming almost insistent. With three of us doing it, the house was soon cheering up, and we three could share some hot water as we made our ablutions.

It astonishingly quickly became a pleasant way to start the day; I know Kords enjoyed it more and I believe Swayga did too — she also found it very useful as I spoke out of all the factors that would go through my head as the day was planned out. Kords learnt a lot from these conversations, and Swayga continued to praise the ways I had done things, with a very few helpful hints of how some things could have been done better.

But I'm getting a little ahead of myself here. After all, this tale is commencing on only the second morning of my changed circumstances. We had a little laugh together as we all agreed that Papa would probably be up already and saddling Judd up in preparation for his departure from the roadhouse.

I have spent some time in describing these early moments of the day in quite a lot of detail simply so I don't have to repeat so much information in future accounts.

It was from this second morning that our future routine was forged and with very little variation continued for a considerable time. So with no further ado, I shall continue with the developments from there — getting breakfast for the whole family after rousing the reluctant ones, getting things tidied away, and initiating a suggestion of Swayga's that we all promptly spent a bell (minimum) whereby I taught the rest some letters.

At one point I had glanced out the window and seen a trio making their way up towards the dam, two humans and a grenn. I waved but neither human noticed, engrossed as they were in their conversations. I will swear, however, that Jeefer gave a little yip of acknowledgement, not that I would have been able to hear it from so far away, of course.

By and by, it was time for me to leave to do that which I wanted ... it was still then an incredible luxury to me … and I left the house with a light step, promising to be back for the evening meal at half a bell after the seventh.

Remembering one of the conversations from yesterday, I caught Trumpa and Dralla in our small paddock, loaded them with as much equipment as I could imagine they would require and finally led them down the track to the back of the Claw. I was quite surprised to see a hand of workers were already moving the boundary fence under Sookie's supervision. She waved to me as I approached, indicating that I should go straight to her. She took Trumpa's reins as we greeted each other and she led me into the Claw's courtyard which was already bustling with activity. She called to a boy, barely older than myself, whom I had known all my life but with whom I had had no regular contact — he was known to be one of the best with animals, so I should not have been so surprised to see him here.

“Parrier, take these two frayen and keep them with or near to Tixi, if you would be so kind. This is Mistress Julina, but I suspect you already know her, don't you?”

“Aye, Mistress. Indeed Julina and I have been here all our lives.” He turned to me as he continued: “Good morrow, 'Lina. Whose beasts are these?”

“Good morrow, Parry. I did not know you were employed here. It is relief to know that they will be in such capable hands. This one is Dralla and belongs to Mister Michen, but I have his permission to ride her sometimes.” I watched as his eyebrows rose, but he made no remark. “The other is Trumpa, my papa's spare riding frayen. Mistress Sukhana has agreed to stable these two does, and Papa's buck, Judd, here in exchange for some considerations we have agreed upon. Judd and Papa will be back in a week, but I thought I would bring these two down now, so they can get used to the changes sooner.”

“An excellent idea 'Lina. They will enjoy it here. I know it sounds ridiculous, but this environment seems to be a much happier place for frayen than any other I have known. Even complete strangers that arrive seem happier after spending just one night here. It is something to do with the way Mistress Sukhana has trained them, I'm sure.”

“Oh tush! Don't give me the credit, it was our Baroness herself that started it all, I have merely continued her instructions with Tixi, and I think somehow Tixi has developed a way with the other beasts, some of whom have been here before so they know the environment that obtains."

“Mistress, you understate your own influence,” he said, blushing slightly.

Sookie and I exchanged glances and our eyes spoke in woman-code — we both recognised some youthful infatuation here. I felt a little sorry for Parrier then, but reflected that maybe it was all part of life — he would grow out of it, as indeed I wished Payner, Kelly's brother, would do with his crush on me.

“You used a strange word there, Parry,” I said queryingly.

He was about to reply when Sookie, in her busy mode, spoke to me: “I see you brought down all sorts of equipment with you, Julina. Parrier, make use of what you can and then give anything that we do not require away to someone who could use them, or maybe turn them into something useful. We don't need to sell them as Master Tanon has said that he will be responsible for equipment here, and after that awful business with Trogan, there will be people grateful for a little help. Just make sure you don't create a band of favourites over time. That will lead to trouble. Be seen to be even-handed.” She paused for thought. “Thinking about it all a little more, I think you should make one part of the stables obviously for the resident beasts, mine, Julina's and anyone else I might invite — say space enough for eight or ten beasts, then the transient ones that come and go can be in an obviously different area. No wait, there will be some semi-permanent residents in the Claw like Master Bezan, so make the resident beast area large enough for say a dozen.”

“As you say, Mistress.”

“Come Julina, let me show you what's happening with that fence and your new house area.”

I waved goodbye to Parrier, who had his hands full so simply nodded in return.

As we went, I asked Sookie what Perry had said a few moments before. When she looked blank, I tried to help her: “Envy moment, or something similar. You said to Parry something about Tixi, then it was that some frayen had been here before and knew what the envy moment was that you had obtained? Something like that.”

She stopped as she thought, and looked a little lost — I could see her brain trying to work it out. Her shoulders dropped and I knew she was about to apologise that she couldn't remember when a sudden flash shot across her face meant that she had indeed remembered. With a laugh, she repeated what had been said: “The environment that obtains. Yes. Well environment means the surroundings and so on and obtains means what is going on right now. I suppose you could say that we live here in a mountainous environment — that would be describing our surroundings in such a way that the listener would understand that the air is a little thinner, that we are far from a city, oh and everything like that, that is where we exist and ... and … and ... and … all that is implied by the weather patterns and the rivers and the plants. Good environment is something to rejoice in.”

I was still struggling a little and it showed, so she thought for a little while and said: “When that Trogan was here, were you all frightened?”

“That we were. It was unnatural.”

“So you could say that under Trogan there was an environment of fear.”

Ah! Suddenly I could put together what she meant. I thanked her for a new word and asked her to spell it for me. She looked a little sad as she explained that her writing wasn't very good and that she was looking forward to having some lessons. I was shocked at first, but then I realised that that was something that should be considered, adults being taught too. I made a mental note to ask Epp about this and about the new word - she taught it to me the next day I saw her.

So the two of us turned and went once again to the paddock at the back. Sookie showed me where the house was going to be positioned and then the garden/vegetable patch/orchard would be placed; obviously this was at the western end, to be nearer the Claw, and the house would be at the eastern end. The plot itself ran the entire northern length of the paddock, which I estimated to be around fifty strides long — a dead straight line marked by the newly positioned fence poles. Sookie explained that then the house would cast a shadow into the paddock, providing a little patch of shade that might be useful for the animals on the hotter days. She also said that there would be some clumps of trees planted throughout the paddock for the same purposes.

The house plot was marked out already, the upslope end, the east end, being very wide, maybe as much as forty strides, also known as two casts, forming a rough square before the western end narrowed to an angled shape, about 25 strides in the east and about 15 in the west, the Claw end. The paddock remained rectangular, now around fifty strides by forty, or two and a half casts by two.

As we stood there, a fresh team of men and animals appeared. There were three dranakh, one pulling a laden wagon that had a large rock, obviously very heavy, and two long metal plates sticking out forwards as they angled up in the air. The tailgate was lowered and the two long metal things were slid out, I would call them planks if they were wooden. These were then blocked with stout timbers under the middle, obviously to prevent them bending. Blocks were also placed under the end of the wagon which I could see would prevent the wagon tipping up at the front. The large heavy rock was wrapped in a leather harness, and there were two stout ropes attached that lead forward, either side of the wagon's dranakh who was still in the harnesses. The two ropes were attached to the ends of a long wooden pole, lying on the ground a good ten strides in front of the harnessed dranakh's snout. A single rope lead even further forward from the centre of that pole, which was then attached to another of the dranakhs.

Finally, two ropes lead backwards from the rock and were harnessed to the third dranakh. When all was checked and confirmed, the dranakh behind the wagon strained forward upon command and dragged the rock out of the bed of the wagon and onto the top of the metal runners, the dranakh at the front slowly easing backwards. I suddenly realised that this was the brake dranakh, there to prevent the rock just slipping and sliding down onto the ground in an uncontrolled fashion. It was obvious that the animals understood what was required of them, and I could see now how the stone would be reloaded into the wagon; the two dranakhs hauling it forward up the slope of the metal 'planks'.

Once the stone reached the ground, I could see that it had been shaped slightly on the bottom, presumably to slide easier over bobbles in the ground — for this was the tool to be used for flattening the ground. But first the three dranakh were harnessed to plows and the entire plot was plowed as deeply as possible to break up the surface.

I didn't stay to watch all this of course, as I had many calls to make, but I caught glimpses of a lot of it from the windows at the back of Michet's house, when I first called upon him … er … her. I took my leave of Sookie, as she also couldn't spend all day watching work when there was so much of it for her to do elsewhere. I promised to return in the late afternoon to inspect the day's efforts.

As mentioned above, my first place to call into was just up the street to the house where Master Morden and his 'child' lived. I had promised that 'child' that I would make a visit first thing, to establish how we progressed from the state of discovery that had occurred the day before. Master Michen was in fact a woman, but had been masquerading as a man all her life — after making a promise when very young to her father that she would tell no-one — her father, Master Morden, having told the world that the new-born was a boy. I had been growing quite fond of Master Morden after the two of them had dined with us quite often, but once I discovered Michet's secret, I was really quite annoyed with the old man, putting his pride before his child's comfort and lifestyle. He was now very old and all knew he would not last much longer — Michet herself being past any childbearing age, so was hardly able to be described as a child.

The old man in question was in his tall armchair in the front room, positioned so he could see the main street and all the activity out there — at least, that would have happened if he stayed awake. His snores told me all I needed to know as the housekeeper ushered me past that smallish front room to the room that will become the 'Salon', a resurrection of the old name. Michet was waiting there, not able to hide the nervousness that she had. I later discovered she was worried I might have changed my mind and that I had just reassured her yesterday in order to be able to escape. She was so relieved when I turned up as promised.

She turned to the housekeeper and said: “Kassama, could we have some pel in here do you think? I feel we will be here for a good while.”

“Wait a moment! Yes, some pel would be nice — however, I have to get to my friends as soon as I can, as I haven't even told them my news yet, and it would be impolite to keep them waiting any longer. They will already be upset I didn't tell them yesterday.”

“Oh! Yes! That was mean-spirited of me to think I could keep you to myself.”

The disappointment was written clear on her face but I reassured her that I would stay a bell at least, and that eased her unhappiness somewhat. So we chatted and established a firm friendship, very much on a different footing than that which had gone before. We covered many subjects, and spoke more about the potential job she had for me. A thought occurred to me when we agreed that it would be an evening enterprise only.

I developed this idea by thinking aloud: “So this room would only need at most half a bell to clean up each morning. And it would take less than that to set up for the evenings. You say that you can seat four hands of diners at six different tables with space at the bar end for a hand or maybe six more of clients sitting before the serving counter. I have an idea …”

“Oh yes? What might that be?”

“Well it depends upon the timings … hmmmm … when do you think you might start?”

“Well Kassama and I have inspected the required plates and knives and spoons and pots and pans and so on and frankly they are not in good condition. I will need to send to Tranidor to get a matching set; I have determined that we would need at least four times the actual seatings of everything — to allow for several courses and for some to be being washed and so on. Then there would be a need for three dozen serving bowls and sauce bowls and so on and so forth. I should imagine that the supplier would require a good two or even more weeks to assemble the order in totality, so maybe I should have it shipped in two or even more batches. I would need to hire the reliable people to serve and to help in the kitchens. Kassama will have more and more of her time looking after Father. I think we are a hand or more of weeks away from serving meals. But we have drinking vessels aplenty and I think we could start serving drinks from as early as tomorrow, if only I had the staff … and the drinks!”

“Oh Maker! I can find the staff for you easily. But that was not what I had in mind. I happen to know that Master Jepp is wanting to find a reliable room for the start of some schooling for children. We could make THIS the schoolroom until the Community Hall is ready. For at least the next few weeks it wouldn't need to fit in around dining, but after that we could use it as a schoolroom for say the three bells from the noon bell. I'm sure that way, you could get some help for the setting up of your what did you call it? - the 'Salon'? - from the Assembly, if only a little financial help.” I was bubbling with enthusiasm when suddenly another thought cast a squashing blanket over it all. “Oh! I was forgetting — maybe the sudden descending of so many people would be disturbing to your father? Oh, I'm so sorry, I spoke without thinking!”

“Dearest Julina, it's what is so attractive about you, your enthusiasm and your clarity of thought. Please don't feel you have to apologise. Have you any other thoughts whirling in that head of yours?”

“Well there's forks. By the time you get the dining up and running, I think most of your local clients will already have a fork, but some of the temporary clients might not. When they find out how useful they are, they might well want to buy one or more for themselves (maybe some less scrupulous might even try to slip one away without you noticing). That all needs thinking about. Things like; do you have a stock here to sell, I think you could charge a little more than across the road at the forge, or do you have a system in place that will strictly control the number of them? And so on. Then there are other subjects like the ales and wines; do you brew your own, or do you make an arrangement with Mistress Yanda and maybe even Mistress Sukhana?”

She laughed. “Excellent thoughts! We have actually made arrangements with Mistress Sukhana as regards our drinks stocks, at least in the first instance. Kassama has a friend who will start brewing for us once we have the fresh equipment set up — and Mistress Sukhana has passed on some information she got from, would you believe, one of Mylady's guards about the addition of some herbs or some such. I do know that the wagoneers all are happy with the brew she serves in the Claw. But the forks thing. I hadn't considered that. We are expecting a first delivery of two hands of forks from Brydas' young man, Garbel. He has been busy all day every day trying to keep up with demand — he does just forks! We have decided upon a design on the handle which will be unique to us, although anyone actually stealing one could easily just take it downvalley and exchange it with someone else. Downvalley, they will never know what that design on the handle means. But your suggestion that maybe we have some to sell, now that is very much worthy of consideration. Maybe we'll have a second design for those. Yes, that might be good. Thank you. And a strict control, telling the girls to check they have the fork when they clear the dishes away. That's probably the best.”

And so our first real meeting went on, discussing the future mostly but also discussing people in town, and the developments, and who was doing what and I was shocked when we heard Kassama's overloud voice talking with Master Morden. So as not to upset him that someone now knew Michet's secret, we sprang up and apart, thus pretending to discuss the tiny details of how the enterprise might be run. I mentioned I was shocked; that was because I heard the bells and realised that just so much time had elapsed. Michen, for the switch had taken place as soon as we knew that his father was approaching, was also surprised — but grateful to have had so much time, I'm sure.

Master Morden came into the 'salon' then, and Michen immediately brought up the idea of using the room temporarily for a school room. Kassama was taken aback, but nodded her agreement as she thought about it.

“Aye, son, it would be good to have a real lot of young boys about the place for once. It'll bring some life into the old place. Go with it. A good idea of yours.”

Miche ... n, I and Kassama all looked at each other but we chose not to argue with anything. We would let the truth come out in its own way.

And so it came time for me to depart, determined to go and find the other two of my friends and tell them all my news. The trouble with that was I would have to go in two different directions to achieve it, so I decided to go once more to Kelly's, ask her to go to Gyth and bring her to Kelly's home while I went that little bit further to call on Master Jepp, and then go down to Molly's, gathering her in. We could all discuss everything then in Kelly's sitting room.

I walked up to the bellringers' home and put the first part of my plan in motion — Kellonika was happy to go and get Gythy and I went across to the Scribe's home, where the door was opened by Mistress Shantoona. This is where the first part of my plan went wrong. I was told that Master Jepp was attending an Assembly meeting, this time held in the room down to the Claw.

Now I was in a quandary — did I go across the stream, the quickest way to Molleena's, or did I go quickly to the Claw to give the Assembly the news that a temporary schoolroom had been found? I decided to try to get the information to the Assembly whilst they were all together. As I went across there, I wondered how Master Bezan was going to be present — wasn't he up with Deegrum at the dam?

I got there and entered the courtyard, wondering which way to go to find the place they were meeting. Just then I caught sight of Parrier and I skipped over to him to ask. This was a mistake on several levels. To start with, there was a chorus from the other lads working there who were very quick to jump on the excuse to tease, which embarrassed Parrier and made him a little angry. So when the opportunity came to try to belittle me, he grabbed it with both hands.

“Who do you think you are? You are just a girl — you can't go barging in to the Assembly meeting. You think you are so high and mighty, huh? Just because you are going to try to ride a frayen?”

“Parry, what are you on about? You are being very unfair. All I'm asking you is where the meeting is. You seem to think I have done something wrong. I was pleased to see a friendly face and asked a simple question. What have I ever done to you? If you must know, I have been asked by the Assembly to do a little something for them, and I just wanted to report back to them. They need the information to make a decision. So do I have to ask you again, or shall I find someone more polite?”

The other lads earned a severe glare from me as they started to laugh again.

“And you lot should have more respect too. It is none of your business to make fun of Parrier about his girlfriend. Not that I AM his girlfriend, but people like you can make it easy or hard for a colleague. I would have thought you would be better off learning from him and his skills, rather than making him angry with you. I am ashamed for you.”

It was such an advantage to have been a mother, even if I was still a virgin! The lads all looked a little abashed and returned to their tasks. Parry told me what I wanted to know, at last, and I made my way over there. Inside mind you, I was extremely nervous, wondering how I could break into their meeting. Various schemes rushed through my mind, each more outlandish than the last. I summoned up the courage to make an entrance and took a deep breath …......

“Julina! What are you doing here?”

“Master Bezan! Oh thank the Maker! I wanted to tell Master Jepp than I had found somewhere to have a temporary schoolroom. The 'Salon' as s... as er ... he calls it which will be Master Michen's evening drinking 'club'. I have his and his father's permission. I thought that maybe the Assembly should know.”

“Excellent news. I will pass it on for you. Have you any idea who might do some of the teaching?”

“Well, I have experience of teaching absolute beginners their letters, and Mistress Epp was my teacher, along with my mother. So there we have two of us already. But I need to learn too, particularly to number. I can do the basic lettering, but have little idea of numbering. And I need much more time to learn proper spelling and so forth.”

“That would be a start then. Someone like you could get all the students up to the same basic standard before a proper teacher, if you will permit me to say that, takes over. I'll make the suggestions for you. Now, if you will forgive me, I am a few moments late. Your Deegrum showed me a lot. I don't wish to delay my colleagues any longer than necessary.”

“Of course! I'm glad I didn't have to go in there myself. I was a bit scared of doing so.”

We both laughed about it, and I am not sure if he actually realised that I was being very serious. Nevertheless, I had got my message to the Assembly and it was now up to them. I set out, at long last, with just one objective — find Molly and finally, after nearly two days, give her my news.

… … …

I departed once again from the Claw, crossed the Main Street diagonally to the Bell and took the passage next to it. Skirting the paddock behind the Bell, I crossed the uneven ground as I headed diagonally across the slope down towards the stream. I waved to Mistress GB as I went past her house, seeing her look up from her loom as I went by. She waved back, and I passed on towards Molly's house.

Only to find no-one there.

Grrr. I had walked around a mark already to no result.

I trudged my way back to Kelly's to be met with a chorus of voices — including Molly's — asking where I had been and had I got lost and so on and so forth. I felt my temper rising and nearly stormed out, but then I realised with a shock that my call was due on the morrow so I just screeched “Shut up for a moment you lot.”

“Oh! I forgot.” said Molly. “It's tomorrow isn't it? Back off girls.”

“Thank you, Molly.”

Kelly and Gyth both slapped their foreheads and flashed me an apologetic smile. This meant that we also had a reminder that Kelly would be in 4 days time and Gyth the day after that. Always a stormy nearly 2 weeks in our coterie. Molly was right in the middle of what would be otherwise our quietest period, so you could say we were cursed to only have a few 'normal' days all together.

But at long, long last, I managed to talk to all my closest friends about my changed circumstances and about a need to plan for all our futures — we all becoming adults within the next two months.

Molly's compulsions were not at a strong level that day, so we had a good chat and came to some plans. Providing, of course, we received parental approval, we decided that we would be the team that staffed Michen's. Molly has always wanted to learn some more about cooking, and felt that she would be best kept away from most of the men by helping me in the kitchen — the other two would be the servers in the salon. We would, of course, require the permission of the owners, but I was sure that was effectively a formality.

Then we discussed the school, and all of them were so enthusiastic, and claimed that they knew many others who were keen to get some education. It seemed that half the valley were waiting impatiently for it to start, some adults too — but the keenest appeared to be the females. It was as if there was something in the air — some deep desire for something to look forward to for the girl population. I hadn't thought of it like that before, but the earlier meeting with Parrier suddenly sprang to mind and I related it to the others, who now included Mistress Malet as well. And we all suddenly understood how very important some education would be, that it was not just a childish game, and we had a taste of the battle ahead to get some cognisance of female abilities. I was suddenly dizzy with the possibilities and the enormous responsibilities that would come. I suddenly felt inadequate for the task.

My fears must have shown themselves on my face as suddenly Malet gave me a huge hug and the others piled in too, which was strengthening and very welcome.

“It's not the right day to be fretting about this. Come back in a week, and we'll help reaffirm what a good thing you are doing. And we can comfort Kellonika and Gythy at the same time.”

I think the fact that Mistress Malet knew about our cycles was the most surprising thing of all that came out of that brief interlude!

I was then surprised as Molly slowly thought aloud: “There's something about the schooling … I have something in mind … something to arrange … for someone else … now who asked about schooling? … There were the usual crowd … we were up by … AAAAH! … the children from Blackstone Vale … they want schooling too … they would have to come down and stay somewhere … they couldn't travel all this way and back every day … I'm sure we could find them somewhere to stay … but they couldn't stay here in Town forever, their families would probably need them up in the Vale!”

And so we discussed things like separate classes based on abilities, and somehow coping with faster and slower learners which led onto the consideration of extra help outside the school. After it was all over, Malet took me to one side and whispered that all this would have to be reported to the Women's Circle too, so she would try to call a meeting soon. She suggested that maybe the Vale children could accompany me on my yet-to-be-arranged trip to Tranidor, and pick up the basic knowledge that way — this made me think even harder. Oh Maker! I began to wish I could return to the simple life of a housewife, and said so, much to Malet's amusement.

“Once the felk is out of the bag, there's no getting it back in!”

I had to ask her to explain that as I had heard of felkis, but didn't really know what they were.

“We don't have any up here in Blackstone — I'm told that there are none north of Haligo. They are a smallish animal, maybe the size of a dooclor, a little smaller, but nothing like one. Many feel they are particularly ugly and their hard skin is very lumpy. A felk however has a very smooth way of moving — like something creeping up on something else. It is very quick and uses the front pair of its three pairs of legs almost like we use our arms. It likes to play with its prey, and it eats baby avians, muridis and smaller labris. It seems that it doesn't like the higher altitudes, so it is found downvalley rather than up here. In fact, I heard that down near Haligo, they can be found close to the river, but never up on the road which is only some dozen of strides higher! Felkis can be easily caught the first time as they are so trusting, but they hate being cooped up. The preferred way of carrying them was in a sack, but it was never for long, as the sharp claws would shred the sacks quite rapidly. And an angry felk is something to be avoided. They would fight to the death to prevent being put into a sack for a second time. This gave rise to the expression 'Once the felk is out of the bag, there’s no getting it back in!' ”

We all thanked her for the information, never having imagined anything quite like that could be true. I saw Gyth thinking very hard after that, and indeed Kelly tapped me on the shoulder and nodded in her direction, the question loud in her eyes. I shrugged back to show I had no idea.

We talked on about the changes that we knew and that we suspected were coming to our town, and how to make the best of them. Kelly remembered our earlier decision about being the staff for Master Michen and asked her mother for permission which was only granted when she knew that I would be involved, which was a compliment to me but also a burden — it was as if her mother didn't trust Kelly unless I was there. So I knew enough to bring that point up there and then so it didn't fester like an untreated wound. I think the other girls suddenly started growing up properly just then when they realised that their mostly carefree existence up to now had not given them much training for the responsibilities of adulthood and parenthood. They were all very quiet and thoughtful.

So we summarised our discussion of earlier to Malet, who also added her snippets of information about the current changes taking place. Which led us to all go out and walk down the newly widened track leading to the coal quarries.

Back before our Baroness arrived, the road that led to our town went up to the top of the town and ended in the flattened camping area that spread out to either side from the head of the road. The area was where we usually all met for the rare town events, and was 'crowned' if you like by the Cistern which was the only building to the north of it. A small track led off to the left, the west, of the Cistern to the untidy place where we all scraped out the coal we used for fuel. It went winding on up to and round the head of the Bray valley, starting back down the far side of the valley, and meeting the track that led up to the high pastures and reportedly to that place with the funny name — the Stone Sea.

Mylady had declared that our quarry would be forever reserved for the townsfolk and therefore the main quarry had been opened farther along, before the coal seam rose too far above the track to be uncomfortable to work. We went down there and were amazed at the changes that had taken place.

For a start, it was no longer a track worn by the townsfolk's feet — it was a proper road. Wide enough for three wagons side-by-side and lined on the hill side with a proper wooden sidewalk. At our quarry, it had all been tidied up and there were at least a dozen metal bins there, all full of coal and mined already to be easy for us to collect — no more hammers and rods required for us. We just needed to walk up there with our buckets or drays, and use a shovel to fill our requirements. A miner standing there explained that they took it in turns each morning to ensure that the bins were filled — it rarely took more than half a bell to ensure our supply was ready to just carry away. We learned from him that it was the Steward's idea and I could see the military training behind the idea — but it was still a very good and considerate idea.

We walked on to the busy second quarry. In all truth, it was more than a quarry, we could see a clear tunnel leading into darkness, heavily supported on the sides and the roof. In the sort of entrance chamber into which we had gently walked, there was a huge pile of planks and another of wedges. This was obviously their supply of further support planks that would be used as they tunnelled ever onwards.

Down one side of the tunnel was a set of parallel wooden strips, maybe two feet apart, held rigid by wooden planks that went along the floor under the strips — these strips were perhaps 2 thumbs wide, and 4 high. Where they ended there was a big block, and a lot of coal dust and pieces of coal lying around. I was very intrigued by them, my brain straining to work out what they were for. We five were pushed to one side, politely but firmly, as a dray was brought up, pulled by a frayen, which was quickly unharnessed and the dray was pushed backwards until it got to the end of the wooden thingies. I asked the workers what the wooden things were.

“We call them 'rails', Mistress. The coal is quarried deep in the tunnel and loaded into a sort of dray wagon. This is a container on wheels which run on the rails, it is a lot easier to wheel on rails than across the uneven ground. When it gets to these blocks at the end, the container body can be swung up and the contents tipped into these drays — two of the rail wagons fill one dray here. We then take them out to that platform at the side of the road and tip the dray contents into a wagon parked on the roadway below. Four or five drays fill a wagon. One of the rail wagons arrives here every ten moments or so.”

I turned to the others and said: “Shall we?” and was almost deafened by the agreement. One of the workers suggested we stood over to the other side, leaving plenty of room for them to do their job. He did warn us that there would be some coal dust flying around.

There was suddenly a ringing — I looked up into the corner and there espied a handbell suspended from the roof by a nail through its handle, down near where the handle joined the bell itself. There was a thin rope attached to the end of the handle — someone up the tunnel was pulling the rope to sound the bell.

“Ah, mistresses! A rail wagon is on its way. That's what the bell means. I pull this rope here to let them up the tunnel know that someone is here waiting for it.” He matched his actions to his words.

Soon, we all heard a dull rumbling and some funny clicks, increasing in noise. Something was approaching, that was definitely certain.

With surprising suddenness, a vehicle appeared, a small version of a wagon, but running on six wheels. A big heap of black coal was in its belly as it crashed into the blocks at the end with some violence, a violence that was quite frightening, if truth be told.

The workers rushed quickly forward and simply unclipped a fastening on either side at the back of the little wagon. Then, one on either side, they simply grabbed the belly of the wagon, and with huge grunts of effort, they raised it. The back edge lifted up, since the belly was hinged at the front. The coal poured noisily into the empty dray, and in only a few short heartbeats, the load was transferred.

The worker that had explained things to us a little earlier was revealed as a big liar.

The cloud of coal dust was HUGE — it wasn't, by any description, just 'a bit'. We all rushed out into the open air, coughing and banging our clothes. The workers laughed uproariously. I marked them down for a slow and lingering death. But I had a thought trying to form itself — something to do with what we had seen in the mine. Obviously this distraction took away the power from my glare, otherwise those men would have been melting into little heaps of fat.

Malet, however, suddenly started to laugh. Between giggles, she got out enough of an explanantion: “We can't … hehehe … get any dirtier … hehehe … so let's … hehehe … go and investigate … hehehe … everything!”

We realised that she was right, so with a cloud of giggles from us all, we left and crossed over the road to see the next 'tipping' station. There was a narrow parallel track about two or three strides lower with quite a steep approach to the tipping point - the departure route was level up to where it joined the main track maybe fifty strides away. Obviously the empty wagons could negotiate the steep approach and the laden ones had no slope to negotiate.

We walked on, towards the head of the valley. The track here too had disappeared under a new roadway, but this roadway was only as wide as one wagon and there was no sidewalk. Looking ahead there was a large circle where we watched a wagon turn round and start back towards us. There were several other wagons there, waiting patiently for something. They appeared to be laden with rocks and earth. There were two hands or even a dozen of men mostly standing around doing nothing next to an untidy pile of implements, so we assumed they were waiting for someone or something.

Letting our gazes wander further, we could see the preparation for the extension of the road as it looped round the head of the valley and started properly downhill on the other side of the stream. We could see two smallholdings close by the route, and there were people busy in both. Following down the valley we could see a cluster of workers and wagons very near the stream if not actually in it. They were a good two or three (or so) marks distant, so we couldn't see exactly what they were doing, but there were various signs, in the form of areas that had been flattened or filled, all the way down to them that indicated this would be the new bridge and the Loop Road would be built on the far side until it recrossed the stream there.

We walked as far as the circle mentioned before and wondered why they had done it just there. Looking around, Molly drew our attention to some very recent workings that climbed up from the roadway to the coal seam that was high above us by now. It was Gyth who pointed out that the coal seam was at its highest point up there, climbing up to this point from the Town side; a kink in the visible seam took it slightly downhill from there as it headed into the hillside . The seam itself had been gradually but noticeably thinning as it went so, at the highest point, it was a little less than half the height it was at the first two quarries. Kelly reminded me of what Master Bezan had told us last evening, that Master Yarling had a theory he wanted to test, and that involved going into the seam at that point there. It was good to put an actual viewing on top of the report we had had and we all felt better for it.

We headed back towards Town, Gyth stating that she wanted to inspect the area across from the main mine in a bit more detail, if we were saying that that is going to be the main living area for the miners. How were they going to eat, bathe, sleep etc. etc. etc? That thought made me curious too. But I was still aware of the question trying to get out, so I started to concentrate on that. When we got back there, I checked that it was alright for me to go back into the entrance part, in an attempt to jolt the thought loose.

Jolt! That was it! Why didn't the jolt of the little wagon hitting the blocks at the end make it jump off the, what did they call them, oh yes, 'rails'? I could understand that the weight kept the wagon down, but what was preventing the wagon from simply slipping sideways off the rails? So I asked the workers there who looked at me strangely that a mere girl should ask such a question. But they did answer (so perhaps it was lucky they hadn't been melted by my glare earlier).

“The wheels are on things called axles” (as if I didn't know that already) “and are spaced exactly as far apart as the wooden rails are.” (Again, a big unsurprise) “When looked at from the outside, the wheels are round” (!!!!!, a red mist started to rise in my mind, which was noticed by Malet and Kelly) “about a man's hand-width across from one side of the circle to the other. But when looked at from the INSIDE, then they are bigger across by about a thumb on each side. This larger circle then runs down the insides of the wooden rails and prevents sideways movement.”

I gritted my teeth and breathed deep to suppress my anger, which I could acknowledge to myself was a little inappropriate, which sort of made me angrier in a way. “I see, I think. Thank you. How does the wagon get back up the slope into the tunnel?”

“Oh that's easy! There is a rope attached to the back. I ring the handbell at their end once more and they pull it back up.”

“So there is only the one wagon?”

“Well actually, there are two. There is a complicated arrangement of the rails” (implying that a mere girl wouldn't be able to understand this — my temper began to flare again) “up in the tunnel so they can feed one or the other of the wagons onto the rails that lead to here. The rails themselves actually go all the way to where they are digging the coal out.”

Kelly and Malet snorted in derision. “So there is a way for the wagons to pass each other — a way the rails can be arranged?”

“Of course. I just said so, didn't I?”

“And you have to haul the empty wagon back up? By hand?”

“Aye, Mistresses,” said the man a little hesitantly.

“Trust a man not to think of a simpler and more efficient way.” And with that they turned and stomped off, leaving Molly, Gyth and I behind. I didn't dare look confused because that would have told the men that we hadn't a clue what Kelly and Malet meant. Just then the bell rang, and the other two scurried out with little screams but I stayed there and waited for the wagon to arrive.

The same rumbling with clicks. The same big violent crash.

The men went to do their thing when I begged them to wait just a few heartbeats. They obliged me and I dashed forward to inspect the wheels and saw what they meant. But the change from the two different sizes of circles was abrupt, not gradual as I had imagined. I thanked them and ran out before I got another covering of black dust. They did their best to cover me again, mind you. Their faces were burned into my memory and revenge WILL be sweet.

Across the road, the others were gathered and looking at things and pointing at things and so on, so I went across to them to join in with their discussions. I saw the areas that had been flattened, ready for the miners' accommodations to be set up. There were three levels prepared, each a half circle. The levels were joined to each other by two wide ramps that cut the half circles into three equal areas. These ramps were just wide enough for a wagon. The upper level was at the height of the loading track we had seen before and was about thirty strides from one side to the other. The next level was two strides lower, I could judge that fairly accurately by seeing the height of one of the wagons being used down there compared to the upper surface. This level was about a cast wide as its circle was that much greater than the one above. The third level I guessed to be much the same, two strides lower and a cast or so wider.

There was a final level that was NOT a half circle — instead a number of simple circles all of their own. I numbered a hand of these. Again they were two strides or so lower, and evenly spaced around the edge of the lowest half circle. To each of these, there were strange channels cut all the way down the slope from the level where we were standing, where they all originated from one point. I was very intrigued as to what these could be.

A wagon laden with cut stone appeared from the town, and we had to move as there was another travelling in the opposite direction. On the stone-filled wagon, next to the driver, was a young man I recognised as Mostar, and there were three more young lads I recognised sitting in the wagon's belly, their feet dangling over the hanging tailgate. It seemed that most of the lads of the town had found employment of some sort with this amount of construction going on. I knew that Master Brydas had employed several, and also Masters Blandel, Haldik, Rostan, Torin and Waldan.

This wagon was followed quite closely by another, again with a trio of lads and young adults, which was obviously on its way to build a further extension to the Loop Road. Ah, that was what those workers and wagons were waiting for! A burly man was riding a frayen after them — still using an old saddle I could see. The way he was, the attitude he gave off, told us that he was obviously the foreman of this work. Suddenly, I recognised him as having been one of the men being bossy and involved in the works down to the Claw. I turned and then nudged all the others into looking down the road to the turning circle, where previous idleness was replaced by a busy-looking bustle of sorting out the implements. We smiled knowingly at each other.

Continuing our somewhat leisurely, but very inquisitive, way back towards Town, we passed the Town's quarry — again remarking on how thoughtful the Steward had been - and were nearly back to the campingplace. On our right, across the roadway from the Cistern and across the west arm of the campingplace from Kelly's and Malet's home, were two flattened areas, not one as I had assumed from my previous brief glimpses. The two areas were very close together, so I felt I could be forgiven for my wrong assumption. The same channels as we had seen at the miners' area were dug into the heart of these plots. Where the channel stopped abruptly at the roadway, we could see a stone-lined tunnel that led under the surface in the direction of the Cistern.

We pondered about the usage to be made of these cleared areas and the significance of the stone tunnel, when an overheard, or maybe it had been discussed, remark popped the answer into my head.

“Ah! These must be the places allocated to the new public bath-house and the planned kitchen/restaurant building. It makes sense to have them near the source of the water. Which is what that stone tunnel will be — it will direct water to the houses here. And that must be what they are doing down to the miners' area. Those channels we saw, will be water supply channels. Stone-lined, as we saw on that approaching wagon, when we were down there.”

“Of course! Well reasoned, 'Lina. I think I shall have to accompany you more often, I learn so much!” said Malet kindly, but I was surprised by the depth of feeling that came from the others as they agreed with Malet, who continued: “Well, talking of baths, I suggest we pop back to my house, get some water on and then have a joint bath to rid ourselves of this wretched dust. We could find an urchin to run round to each one's homes to fetch a fresh dress for you three. I'll pay for him to do it. My education today has been worth it. And I will find some small pastries or something for us to eat while we take some pel. Come girls, I think it's time to shake off the dirt.”

We all cheered at that news and headed off across the campingplace towards their front door. We were halfway across, when someone came up to me and interrupted our progress.

“Well met, Mistress Julina.”

“Well met, Master Wainer. Ladies, this is our new shoemaker who is temporarily staying with Master Waldan and his wife, Pomma. Master Wainer, may I present Mistress Malet, wife of Master Zytan, and their daughter, Kellonika. They are the bellringers of our town. Then we have Mistresses Molleena and Gythy, who are not related, they are from two different families, but, just like Kellonika and I, they will achieve their majority in the next few weeks.”

“Mistress Malet, Mistresses Kellonika, Molleena and Gythy. It is my pleasure to make your acquaintance. Er … if I may be so bold, you all seem to be a little … er, dusty, if I might put it like that?”

Malet laughed as she replied for us: “Master Wainer, we made a visit to the coal mine to see more exactly what it was all these miners are doing. We were fooled into standing around until a cloud of coal dust hit us. It afforded the men some fun, and has done us no damage, although I know not what damage may yet be done to our clothing. We are on our way now to repair some of that damage.”

“Then Mistresses all, I shall not stand between you and your cleansing!” He bowed to us as we twittered meaningless noises in reply.

Malet had an interested look on her face as her eyes followed him walking away. “Hmm, that one has a twinkle in his eye. He might bear watching.” Kelly and I rolled our eyes at each other and we all continued our giggling way.


up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A really nice view of the Beginning

Few people can say they were 'there' when the Change came but Julina will have the opportunity to inject herself into the process and maybe have a real say in bringing women of the town as a whole into the fray ( as well as fray-en :) )

She is starting to show real leadership and initiative and inspiring her peers.

And of course we all can see why those coal miners are idiots with the mine cars.

Indeed the mine car failure ....

.... will be featured in the next episode, which I hope will be posted on the day after Christmas, just as this one was posted on the day before Christmas. Thanks for reading and posting a comment. Cheers, Julia.

That ...

... and the obvious solution of using the descending heavily laden mind car to pull up the relatively light empty one (or two) mine cars which will in turn ease the descent of the laden one. The ladies will have the fun of calling those thick headed men the Palarand equivalent of Dummpkopf :)

You were doing so well until

You were doing so well until garbel was introduced as the fork maker.
the knife maker wouldn't be messer would he?

Busted !

Well done, jenchris - you spotted the source, or at least one of the sources, for the way I generate the names. I need a little help nowadays to keep all these names in my head as I'm writing. I tend to use Latin, French, German and Italian influences. I have chosen some Spanish in the past, and some obscure dialects from remote country area of GB. I find a word and garble it - the temptation to garble Gabel was perhaps just a little too much. You imply, though, that that has relegated the story into the 'not so good' category. I do hope it hasn't put you off. Thanks for reading and commenting. Julia.

No,it was just a way of

No,it was just a way of getting the conversation round to the subject.
The story is excellent and a good adjunct to SEE
I love the whole concept and the way it is being portrayed

Dinner Dates and Coal Dust

I had just completed rereading the previous 3 chapters when this new offering appeared.

This story is truly starting to flow and all indicators are, it will be as big and popular as SEE.

DJ