Julina of Blackstone - 015 - The Pakh-farmer's Progress

Printer-friendly version

More twists and turns as Julina again encounters developments

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

015 — The Pakh-farmer's Progress


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
015 — The Pakh-farmer's Progress

Kassama found me outside the door, sitting down and cuddling my knees as I shook.

She had been drawn by the raised voices from inside the salon, but her curiosity was put on hold when she saw me there. She squatted down beside me and tried to comfort me, obviously fearing that something dreadful had occurred.

I tried my hardest to be coherent as I explained quietly to her what I had done. Her face, however, as the story unfolded was the most comfort to me — she had started by looking shocked and got even more so as I explained what had happened, but her eyes! Oh Maker! Her eyes were laughing and sparkling and her chest was containing her bursts of laughter.

I couldn't help it — I started to giggle too and suddenly felt a whole lot better, my doubts of before changing into an amused acceptance of 'what's happened has happened'. What was it that someone said the other day? Oh yes: “Once the felk is out of the bag ...” Now who told me that? It was a woman. I was with someone … Kelly I want to say. Ah yes, Malet, Kelly's mother.

I stood up, a little carefully, and tried to decide my next approach. Poor M was in there receiving a lot of abuse which should properly be my reward for my actions. But Kassama told me to stay to one side of the door so I was out of sight when she went in.

“Just WHAT is this all about? You gentlemen should be ashamed of yourselves. Master Michen, you know what the problems will be if you wake your father at this time of day. And you sir, you are a stranger here so a certain allowance can be made, but Master … Blandel, was it? … I have rarely heard a visitor raise their voice so much when being invited to assist a project which is of importance to so many here. Would you please help me understand this unseemly behaviour?”

“Master Michen here allowed me to be insulted by a young woman who seems to be far too big for her boots. She was rude in the extreme to me and I was protesting this behaviour to Master Michen — after all it is his house.”

“I see. And this young woman, what did she say that was so rude?”

“She told me I was useless.”

“And was she right?”

“Of course not! How could anyone …”

“So you were decisive and making great contributions before she spoke to you thus?”

“Well, no, not exactly. It was just …”

“So the young lady in question was in fact right - in a way. And her actions have in fact brought you out of the funk you have been in for many weeks now?”

“Well, yes, I suppose so, but …”

“But what? How many other people have tried to get you out of your depression? Have they managed? But this one girl has managed it in about ten moments. I call that a success.”

“Was I really so bad?”

“Yes!” they both said in chorus.

“Oh!” he said dejectedly.

Before he could get depressed again, I swung round the door and plastered my best smile on my face: “Now, now. You don't want me to start on you again do you? No getting back to being depressed. I took a gamble, and it paid off. You are on the way back from that place you found yourself in. I had to do SOMETHING. I apologise if I was rude, but I'm fairly sure I spoke nothing other than the facts. Please let me have a chance to get to know you better after this day's events have been slept upon. And you shall thus have a chance to get to know ME better.”

With timing that could not have been bettered, the door opened again and Kasinna came flying in with Gyth close behind. Kasinna took a close look at Master Blandel, squealed and launched herself at him, hugging him: “Oh your eyes! You're back! Oh Maker, you're back! I can thank you properly for what you did in that dreadful place. And I know my parents want to thank you too.”

She released him and swung round on me: “Oh Julina, how can we ever thank you? We were so afraid that the Master wouldn't find his way back, but you have done it somehow. We were all trying.”

If the hug she gave me was anything like the one she had given Master Blandel, then I know he felt so squashed that it would take a week to recover. I looked at him, and he looked at me … and we grinned at each other.

Phew!

Another figure joined us in the room.

“What's going on?” said a shaky-voiced Master Morden.

“Well …”

… … …

I was smiling to myself as I led Trumpa up the slope towards home. That had been my fourth visit to the Claw today, and there would definitely be a least one more when I took our doe back to her new home. She seemed to have changed her personality slightly since I had delivered her into the stables there; I fancied I could detect a new springiness in her gait.

The sun had just gone behind the western peaks, but it was still light and would be for at least another bell. I found myself checking down the valley, at the eastern flank particularly, but there was no sign of any other impending storm — as yet.

“I thought you had forgotten us,” said Swayga smilingly as I walked in the kitchen door.

“Oh no, I wouldn't do that, but today has been really rather hectic. We have to fetch the coal now, while there is still light to do it. Do you still wish to come?”

“Absolutely! Kissa, Kords and I have been waiting for you. The others have all been given tasks to keep them busy, and we saw you coming up the slope. Kords has shown me the dray and how to prepare it, so we are all ready to just go.”

“Have you all coats — it will cool rapidly now the sun is dropping?”

Kissa scurried off to get hers as I thanked Kords for preparing the dray. We have one that is on wheels of course, but, for the odd severe winter day or two, we take the wheels off and use it as a sled for sliding across the snow. We get snow usually on only a few days but sometimes it stubbornly stays and makes the use of wheels impossible.

Papa had invented this sliding thing that was practical to get over the frozen ruts which appeared. At first it had seemed a bit excessive, considering we get snow so rarely, but it had proved his usefulness on more than one hard winter's day; so much so, that some others had copied the design. It also worked well when we had the occasional very wet terrain in the rains. Kords had made sure the wheels were properly attached, and that the coal bin we used for transporting was attached and secured.

How lovely it is to have someone properly trained sometimes.

We walked in a group across the slope towards the campingplace, as I explained the events with Master Blandel - to many different reactions.

Kissa laughed out loud, Kords laughed nervously and was both shocked and amused, and Swayga was shocked, worried, slightly amused and very thoughtful.

We all four discussed the situation and, thankfully, they all agreed that the results had been worth the risk.

Swayga came up with another of her downvalley expressions which took a little while to work out, but was appropriate once I understood the sentiments behind it: “Lose your dreams and you may lose your mind.”

By this time, we had made our way to the town's quarry and Kords exclaimed in surprise at the neatness of the new way of organising things there. It was just so easy now, and Kords later explained that she was worried about the time it would take us — even though she had heard my description, she was still thinking of the old way we did it. That would have taken us a full bell — we would have had to hack out our own nuggets and shovel them up and so on. Now, we just opened an already laden bin, used the shovel that was stored there, and loaded our own bin. Why, this has taken me as long to write as it took us to do the job.

We were on our way back, with Kords keeping on and on about how easy it was now to fetch coal, and how we used to have to … etc. etc. etc.

“Kords, my dear. We have the picture very clearly in our minds. Julina had not exaggerated and we have experienced it. I think your remarks are more than a little redundant now. Shall you find another topic?”

Kords was just apologising when we reached the campingplace and met a small group of men having a discussion. There were some women, some holding children, staying a respectful distance away, but still able to hear all that was said.

One of the men raised his head and saw me.

“Mistress Julina. May I request your presence? I believe you may have something to add to this conversation.”

“Why, yes, Captain. I would of course be happy to oblige.”

I knew that it would be a waste of time to bring the others with me, the introductions of everyone with everyone else would take until the new year, if not the one following after that! I apologised to my family for leaving them there while I went to be of help; they did follow me a little of the way so they could hear too.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce Mistress Julina to you all. Some of you may know her as a life-long resident here, but some may not. She has been involved in various ways in some of the things that we have been discussing — the improvement, modernisation and expansion of our town. She can give you a resident's point of view, and can confirm much of which I have said.

“Mistress Julina, these families are mostly from some of the smallholdings at the head of the Bray. Some of their homes will be moved to make way for the Loop Road. Mylady Garia, our Baroness, promised that any resident could relocate at her expense. These good people are considering taking up her offer and removing downvalley. They have asked me, as Steward, to explain the benefits of remaining so they can make an informed decision as whether or not they should stay.

“I have explained that pakh farmers will still be needed. The increased population will still need the wool and meat we get from pakh. But maybe they should also consider taking up some other employment, with the opportunities that have arisen with most of our Guildsmen requiring additional helpers, and the labouring opportunities with road and building construction.”

I had a fleeting heartbeat to admire the way that our Steward had conveyed so much information to me so distinctly and yet so swiftly. An excellent economy of speech; something that Papa had been drumming into me for what seemed forever. I could hear his favourite saying, 'Speak clearly, speak well and speak to the point. But above all, ensure you have an economy of speech'... But by then, it was almost beyond time for me to open my mouth.

“Your Honour, Gentlemen.” I nodded to the Steward and to the gathered men as a whole. “It is my honour to be able to help. I would also include all you Ladies standing around.” I paused at this stage and tried to look each in the eye. This gave me a few more heartbeats to arrange my thoughts.

“I have been, through the power of co-incidences, unintentionally involved in several of the plans that are in place for the development of our once-sleepy town. What his Honour has said is all true — there are opportunities galore here, for anyone prepared to work hard.

“I have some knowledge of the trials and difficulties that families such as yours have suffered under for so long. And yes, a lot of your grazing ground is going to disappear, a lot of the open space to which you have been used is also going to disappear. However, an increasing population means that more and more pakh will be required.

“I suspect that pakh-farming will only be possible with larger herds and fewer herdsmen. There will be little scope anymore for eking out an existence with a bare hand or two of pakh.

“The valley head as it is now is going to virtually disappear which means that more pakh will have to occupy less space. That future is undecided, but, clearly, pakh will be remain a necessity. Maybe the Blackstone Vale will become the preferred area for pakh-herding, maybe more so on the uplands towards the Stone Sea. Yes, there are some already in these areas, but they will almost certainly have to become more crowded. Who knows? Maybe both? Maybe other areas? I personally am unfamiliar with the geography up higher, nor am I an expert when it comes to pakh-herding ...

“But I DO know the town.

“Here in town is possibly the biggest chance of your lives, and the lives of your families — there will be much coin to be made here, and the Guildsmen DO need all the hands they can get, as do the road makers and the house builders — Master Brydas at the smithy has an ever increasing amount of work in many areas, ranging from buckles for clothing all the way up to metal bridge supports — the carpenter, the joiner, the stoneworkers, the saddler, the shoemaker, the wheelwright, the tanner, the baker, anyone and any trade and anything you can think of. Even the seamstresses will need help as the town expands.

“There will be a new inn built, just there,” I pointed to my right at the plot, “and a new public bath-house next to it. They will need staff. As will the new Community Hall, and its associated kitchens, over there, which are to be built where my current home is. Yes, we are also having to move as our house will have to be demolished. But we will be staying in town!

“There are new plantings, not only of new plant sorts, but also more traditional plants, berry bushes and fruit trees, so gardeners and orchard men — and women — will be needed too.

“And I have heard that there is a Guildsman who believes so much in the future of Blackstone that he has CHOSEN to come and settle here and who will be arriving shortly. He will set up a glassworks. Some of you may be able to become HIS apprentices and handworkers.

“The stonemason is already in too great demand; he requires helpers at all levels. It is not too late to learn another trade! And one that will always be in demand, a skill that you can rely upon.

“Which brings me onto a final point that you should all consider. Learning. Mylady has declared that EVERYONE should have the possibility to learn their letters and their numbers. There will be a schedule of schooling set up very shortly, open to any and every one of you. Man or woman, adult or child.

“You MUST see it is sensible to stay. The learning programme will not be available anywhere else in all Palarand for some considerable time, so if you leave, you will miss out on this golden opportunity. If not for yourselves, then do it for your children!”

There was a silence as I finished. I began to worry that I had done something wrong, but our Steward started by clapping, and to my embarrassment everyone else around did too.

“Mistress Julina, if I ever harboured any doubts about your abilities then they are without hesitation dispelled forever. Again, Mylady thanks you.”

This praise was met with my usual blush and I muttered something in reply before gathering my family around me and scuttling off, protected from others' gazes by the flanks of Trumpa. I felt Swayga's eyes on me and looked up at her, seeing a startling look of calculation on her face, and could that be a hint of reappraisal?

I needed to change the subject quickly, before my embarrassment overwhelmed me, and was grateful when it was done for me.

A lightly loaded wagon pulled into the campingplace to be met by three miners. There were two women riding on the added bench behind the driver, and a number of cases and packs in the bed. I realised with a start that the evening shuttle had just arrived so that meant it was either quite early in arrival or the evening was getting late. The two women scrambled down hurriedly and were drawn into embraces by two of the waiting men, as the third greeted them jovially. He was the one to empty the bed of the wagon. The driver unharnessed the dranakh, who wandered off towards the dam and the Vale. We heard the men tell their women that they had rooms for now in a private house, but that would be temporary. That was the last I heard of that conversation, as, shortly afterwards, we had passed out of earshot.

For the rest of the way back home, I told my women companions about bras, which intrigued them all. They agreed to let me measure them (except for Kissa who wasn't big enough yet) which was good - with Malet a near certainty, I only needed to find another hand of women to fulfil my side of the bargain I had struck with Mistress Hasinet.

We got home, stored our load of coal and put the dray away. It was of course time for my fifth visit to the Claw today.

I led Trumpa down the slope in the swiftly gathering gloom. It was either a desire to get inside before dark, or an excitement of returning to her new home, but Trumpa had an eagerness I hadn't seen, or, rather, sensed, before.

We passed the building plot and I saw that all the base was down and a good half of it floored. A few more walls had been put up and there was a stack of obviously roof supports ready to be lifted into place. I noticed that there was a strange construction made of crude bricks outside of the back wall on the south side. At first, I thought it must be some more solid support in case another storm came along, but it was too low and insubstantial for that. I couldn't figure it out, so I knew that I would have to find someone the next day and ask.

Sigh.

Another task to remember to do.

I led Trumpa to her stall and set her up for the night, slipping her a munchie or two. And Dralla of course wanted some attention, so she got that, and her munchies too. Tixi looked at me somewhat carefully, and I could sense her trying to decide if she would 'ask' for a titbit or if she would continue to be wary of me. I went to her and gently offered her a morsel. She hesitated long enough for me to think I should just forget it when she eventually took it — a piece of malm I could see by its colour. She gently took it from my hand, but then scooted back, almost as if she was afraid of being hit. It made me wonder about her treatment in earlier times. Parry and Sookie would never treat her harshly, I was sure. I remembered that she had come to Sookie from Trogan's posessions, so maybe she was still nervous of strangers — I could readily believe those bandits had taken none of the care with the beasts that I and Mistress Pomma were learning about from Sookie.

I checked I had shut everything up and put the harness away properly: I felt a little silly when I said goodnight to the animals. I could swear, though, they each snickered a reply.

Leaving the Claw after saying goodbye to the few workers who were in the courtyard, I went once more up the main street, this time calling swiftly on Malet, who allowed me immediately to measure her for her bra. Another one to add to my count.

With nothing more to do that day, I set out finally towards home, intent on following the track across the slope. I crossed the campingplace once more and headed towards that track. On my way, I saw one of the families that had been talking earlier with the Steward - they saw me at the same time. They waved me over, obviously wanting some more information.

“Mistress Julina. My name is Suril and this is my wife Haka, carrying our toddler Haris.”

“Well met, Goodman Suril, Mistress Haka. Young Haris,” I finished by smiling and gurgling at the little boy in his mother's arms, tickling his cheeks as I grinned at him.

“Er … Mistress. Were you serious about the education and the opportunities? It seems too good to be true.”

“Oh, it was absolutely true — this whole town will explode in the new year. There will be so much going on, I expect they will be bringing even more people in.”

“But we need help now, we are destitute. Trogan took most of our pakh, and we have been struggling ever since. Haka has some relatives down near Haligo, who say they think there might be better chances down there. They say this is just a backwater town that will never amount to anything. And Mylady will pay for us to set up down there. That we know. What should we do? Please guide us!” Haka was fighting back tears as her husband pleaded with me.

Oh Maker! They really were desperate.

“Calm down. We can find a way. I know we can … Please … Give me some more information. Do you still have a house or hut to use as shelter?”

“Well yes, I suppose we do. But they want to knock it down for the new road and then what shall we do?”

“But they will build you a new home. EVERYONE who has to move because of that will be given a new home — so don't worry about it. Did no-one tell you that?”

“No Mistress, a man appeared one day and said our hut was to be knocked down to make way for the road. He said next week.”

“But it still stands, right now?”

“Oh yes.”

“So that is a start, at least you can be protected tonight. Do you have food?”

They both looked uncomfortable at that, and I guessed from their faces that they had probably not eaten a decent meal for some time.

“Is this all of you? Do you have any other children?” They indicated that there was just the three of them.

I went with my instincts and made an instant decision. I would take them home with me and feed and bathe them. If necessary, I would do without my own meal. If Master Blandel could do without when locked up, to help others, then I felt I just had to do something similar. Thinking a little more about it, tonight was an evening when we at home started with a fresh piece of meat, tomorrow was to be left-over day, so actually there should be enough. I was a trifle concerned with how Swayga and Kords would receive the news, but I knew they would be polite enough not to embarrass my sudden guests.

“Right then, just this once, I will take a risk. I hope you don't let me down. And I can't do this for everyone every night. Come with me to my home and we will feed and bathe you. Then we can talk properly. Standing here in the open, with anyone able to hear your business is not right. And I can have more ideas if I am a little more comfortable.”

“Oh Mistress! We din't mean to …”

“Yes, yes, yes. Your protests do you honour, but are unnecessary. But we must leave now. The meal is just about ready.” Still they hesitated. “Decide.” Pause. “Now.”

Suril would have gone on protesting but Haka recognised a moment to be grasped and just loudly accepted. So we started off with me leading the way, and making small chat. There was quite a crowd around and our way was not a straight line. At one point, we had to make a relatively large detour to get round a cluster of miners' tents. As we were doing that, there was a high-pitched scream and shouting. I recognised one of the voices immediately.

Molly.

I started running towards the disturbance as I saw Molly in the grip of a large man, and Molly's mother banging her fists ineffectively on his back. Another man tried to stop him dragging Molly any further away, but he just swung his fist in an arc and connected with the would-be rescuer's chin, who went straight down and stayed down, unmoving.

Suddenly, Suril dashed past me and faced up to the man, showing no fear whatsoever. He held up a commanding hand and said: “Sir. Hold! This is no way to treat a woman. Let her free.”

“You ain't stoppin' me, whoever you might be. I seed her for weeks now, and now it's my time. I'll wait no more.”

“But it is every man's duty to protect women, not to drag them off protesting.”

“Nuff's nuff. I ain't waitin' no more. She's gonna learn what a real man is all about. This whore's bin showin' herself long enough.”

“I can't allow you to do this. You have already laid one man low, but I will stop you.”

There was no tremor, no doubt in Suril's voice as he made this statement, but the man was too inflamed to listen to the clear warning that should have penetrated his thick skull. I stood back in fear for Suril, but somehow reassured by his steely stance. Haka's hand was squeezing my forearm most painfully, but I could not look away.

Not that that made any difference, it all happened so fast.

Molly struggled in the man's grasp and scratched his cheek. His fist came up to punch her back, and Suril moved. Three heartbeats later, the man was on the ground, clutching his knee and rolling about. Suril had moved with lightning speed and kicked his knee from under him. He went down hard, and Molly's mother stepped in and kicked him as hard as she could where it would hurt most. Every man around drew in their breath sharply. Molly and her mother grinned ferociously and scampered away before the man might have a chance to get up. I am certain they didn't even know I was anywhere near.

Suril bent and whispered in the man's ear and the man on the ground at last looked fearful.

Haka let go of my poor mangled forearm and ran to Suril as soon as he stepped away. He put his arm around her, smiled gently at her and whispered something to her. This time, the reaction to the whispering was in stark contrast, as she smiled and kissed him. The little three-headed family were lost in a moving moment; for maybe thirty heartbeats, the world around them did not exist and their goodness shone all around, it seemed to me. I was relieved that my instincts seemed to have been right.

We continued our walk in a lighter mood, it seemed to me — and I gathered from our chatting that Suril was not one to walk by when he sees injustice. I also learnt that pakh hate their bellies or legs being touched and can react quite violently. Avoiding these reactions had taught him to be so fast in his reactions and movements, along with a spell of fighting criminals who wanted to steal his or neighbour's animals, back when he was barely an adult. I actually remembered the fuss about that gang of outsiders when I was a little girl, and Mama was still with us. Blackstone pakh were a prized possession back in those days, and a band of rustlers had come upvalley to steal some to resell to pakhherders in other valleys.

We got back home, and I swallowed hard before opening the door, about to attempt to tell Swayga calmly and firmly and politely that we had two more mouths to feed, and a baby. I entered and opened my mouth to speak, when I saw Master Bezan standing there.

Swayga quickly said: “I hope you don't mind, 'Lina, but I have invited Master Bezan to eat with us tonight.”

I giggled as I replied: “Well I too have invited someone to dinner. This is Goodman Suril and his family. Will we have enough?”

All four invited guests immediately tried to withdraw but I suddenly realised there could be a huge advantage to this situation, so I insisted that they 'stop this nonsense' and just accept. I flashed a message to Swayga and Kords that this was important and they nodded, indicating that we would — just — have enough. I also flashed a message to Master B, who took a little time to 'get' it.

I made all the introductions and caused a few raised eyebrows when I deliberately introduced Master B as a 'friend', particularly of our father, with enough emphasis that all in the know understood that I had a plan which required Master B to be presented with a lower profile than he should have had.

Kissa and Julu were fascinated by the little one, of course, and Haka soon sat with them, all making a fuss of little Haris. I declared that I needed to have a bath before eating, knowing that Kords and Swayga would have filled it for me whilst I was out. I suggested that maybe Haka accompanied me, either bringing the little one or not. Suril offered to hold the baby and so we two rushed to use the facilities.

Where I learned that she was pregnant again, and she learnt that I was dealing with my Call. I think this period of a quarter of a bell formed the basis of our subsequent friendship. That and the fact that I 'accidentally' dropped her dress into the water, which meant that it would have to be washed. As I handled it, I became aware that it was much better made than I had expected. I told her to wait there as I dashed down to my room and got her a dress to wear whilst hers was being laundered. I selected two of the available three — nothing special, just warm and covering, after all it was only for an evening.

And so it was that eventually the 10 of us, and a baby, sat down to a meal, Haka, Kissa and I having done some of the never-reducing pile of laundry that should, by rights, give me nightmares.

I won't describe everything that happened, I doubt I could remember all the exacting details, but Suril and family were amazed by Master B's fork and Master B was amazed by getting the honest and unedited feedback from some residents about the town and the developments — there were things he learnt that he had never considered; this had been my plan all along, I wanted him to get an open reaction, not one clouded by awareness of his function.

When we eventually let on who he was, we were all by then friendly enough with each other that it didn't really matter, although Suril and Haka were a little embarrassed to start with.

They were also mildly surprised to learn that I would be the teacher of the basics for lettering, but the major event as far as they were concerned, and for which they were amazed and grateful, was to get a far wider overview of the developments that were to come, and an understanding that all I had earlier mentioned was definitely going to happen.

We were just discussing the Loop Road, when there was a scratching at our door. Master Fedren had appeared to talk to me.

I introduced the Sheriff to all there, of course. It seemed an age before the tedious formalities were at last over. He didn't insist that we had a private session, so I knew that it wasn't THAT bad; in return, I insisted that he join us and spoke openly about his business. I suspected I knew, of course, what he was about to say and I was proved right (to myself) when he started the more serious business by mentioning Molleena's name.

Again I sent messages with my eyes, and Haka didn't need much persuading to keep Suril quiet for a while.

“ … so the situation was defused, very ably I am told.”

The Sheriff's account was very close to being what had happened, which in my experience is a rarity as people tend to view the same event with different eyes, but I didn't yet interrupt.

“But Julina, I must have you speak more forcibly with Molleena. That man is obsessed with her and it can only get worse. She must try to keep away from him. I cannot be everywhere and protect her from everything.

“Do you realise that the town has almost doubled in size, when talking about numbers, since Mylady came and dealt with Trogan? Already my job is almost too much. I seem to be dealing with quarrels and squabbles nearly every evening, and every time I try to start investigating the problems we have had, then something else comes along.

“I came here tonight not only to ask you to warn Molleena again, but to ask you if you know the man who stepped in this evening. You were reported as being near him. He sounds like he might be just the man I need to help me. Any ideas?”

Again I flashed looks to the others to leave this to me. Master B was smiling wryly and shaking his head again as he agreed to keep silent. Suril had been about to own up, but Haka and I managed to stop him.

“Sheriff, what calibre of man are you looking for? How do you imagine this man would have to be, this so-called 'helper' to you? What would be his physical characteristics and what his mental ones? And what tasks would he be expected to do?”

The Sheriff then gave a job description and suggested what qualities his ideal candidate would have. Haka sat up straighter as Master Fedren described her man almost exactly, and her eyes were flashing whole messages to Suril, which he understood.

“Sheriff?”

“Yes, Julina?”

“What would be the working conditions for this person? Would it be a paid position? And …. oh you yourself can understand and formulate all the associated questions, all things like that?”

“I would need a man as a permanent assistant as from now. He would require a certain amount of training. Mylady left instructions that these 'deputies', as she called them, should be paid with coin from the town funds. The watchhouse does have a small space at the rear that could be made a small apartment, but I wouldn't want to inflict that on anyone. There is ground space behind, and access to the water would be easy. I would suggest to the Assembly that the man would have town assistance to build a small residence away from the jail itself. If he has a family, then presumably he has his own place already.”

“Well, Sheriff — I have a surprise for you.” I grinned at him as his eyebrows went up. “Goodman Suril here is the perfect candidate for you — for 'twas he who was the stranger up in the campingplace! And his hut is being demolished for the Loop Road, so the town will have to build him a new place anyway. It seems that a problem or two might no longer exist. You two should arrange a formal interview!”

THAT took a while for the silence to dispel. The faces around the table were wonderful to behold. Master B was still gently shaking his head, for some reason. Master Fedren was both annoyed and amused that I had got him to describe his requirements to a potential candidate. All sorts of other emotions were on display; the most poignant of all being the hope in Haka's face. Which clouded over as she thought of something.

“Oh would it be so terribly dangerous, Sheriff? Shall I worry myself sick?”

“I don't see it as dangerous, Mistress. There may well be the odd incident like this evening, but it would be mostly just being a 'presence', which is usually enough to defuse most situations.”

She sank back again, cuddling the little one with the hope blooming once more on her face. Suril got the message and quickly said: “When may I come to see you, Sheriff?”

“Tomorrow, if it pleases you, Goodman. Come to the Watchhouse at the sixth Bell. Is that a good time for you?”

“Perfect, Sheriff. I shall be there.”

So it was arranged, and the Sheriff stood up to leave. He went to the door, and stopped, sniffing the air. He asked for silence for a moment and listened intently.

“There's another squall coming up the valley — if I rush I can make it back to town before the rain hits, but you should close your windows. It will be here in under a quarter of a bell. Good-night, and thank you for your help. You coming, Bezan?”

“Not just yet, Sheriff. I still have some business with Julina.”

“Good night, then, all.” With that he was gone.

We rushed around, shutting windows and all of that. The baby had woken some time before and needed changing as well as feeding (in one end and out the other!) so I showed Haka to the room I shared with Kords, and left her there while I went back to talk with Master B.

Swayga was ushering the younger ones off to bed, while Kissa went to 'help' feed the baby.

Suril looked a little nervous, but Kords recognised he wanted something and her easy smile got it out of him. He wanted to have a bath, but didn't want to have to ask for the water to be heated.

“Is that all? I will go and get some hot water on, and in, at most, half a bell you can wash yourself.”

He was so grateful and tried too hard to thank her, but she just waved him into silence as she went out.

So Master B., Suril and I sat down and talked.

Well Suril mostly listened.

“I wanted to thank you for breathing some life back into Master Blandel. We were all at our wits' end how to get him out of his depression. Captain Bleskin did try to give him something to do, claiming that Mylady had used that tactic on himself, but that didn't do the job. So how did you manage it?”

“I don't know really. I suppose you could say I sensed a little lost boy inside the man, and so I turned into a strict mother-figure and scolded him as a mother would. Something clicked, I suppose. He seemed better when we parted. Oh! He hasn't slipped back has he?”

“No, no. Far from it. He is now trying too hard to make up for his previous lack of drive. He is getting almost too frantic as he tries to apologise for his recent behaviour and to demonstrate his return to decisiveness.”

“Oh don't worry about it. He'll calm down after a good night's sleep. All boys do.”

Then I blushed, as I remembered I was talking to two adult men about another adult man.

They laughed as Swayga came back in and agreed with me. She didn't sit down but instead offered pel — which was accepted by us all.

Just then a sudden roar told us that the rainstorm had arrived, and we all had to raise our voices slightly. Suril told us that the roof on his hut wasn't watertight and these storms caused a lot of fuss and bother. So we lead on from that into house designs. Suril liked some of the ideas we mentioned as we talked about our new home and I mentioned how impressed I was with the speed of building. This then led onto the subject of getting certain supplies. Which led on to the latest shuttle wagon timetable. Obviously a person didn't NEED to use the shuttles, but they were mostly convenient and at the same time so much cheaper than hiring a wagon and wagoneer privately.

Master B heard our questions at first, but soon found that it would be better if he explained the complete background to us: “Master Jaxen and Master Tanon, who have both left with Mylady, had set up a regular shuttle from Blackstone to Tranidor, which worked quite well. It was certainly a novelty and made supplying the town a little easier than it had been. But, of course, the practice showed up a few problems. The original system wasn't quite good enough for a number of reasons, and improvements were sought.

“Another of Mylady's suggestions have resulted in a slight change to the design of some wagons and these have been put on the shuttle run. There are seven of them in all. Six in service at any one time. The wagons chosen were the rarely used old-fashioned ones with a single seat for the driver. Some drivers actually still prefer them, as the seat sort of wraps itself around the driver which they find more comfortable than sliding around on a bench. Anyway, these wagons were not being used much, and the more modern wagons were too much required to take away from the ever-increasing goods traffic.

“Thus a sensible use of existing equipment was found. So they still had a normal driver's seat at the front, but just behind that a padded bench has now been attached across the width of the wagon, allowing four slim (or three larger-hipped) passengers to sit. These wagons were constructed, or re-constructed if you like, down to Tranidor and were fed into the shuttle schedule from there, carrying people as well as goods.

“The idea had been to have a regular service between the two towns, for people as well as goods. In the early days there had been few people and many more goods, but now noticeably more people are using the route as our town expands, albeit quite slowly. So the simple goods wagon has been changed by adding one or two rows of seats for passengers, as mentioned. The second row is because they have also replaced the driver's single seat with a wagon-wide bench. There are also an increased number of people travelling from Blackstone to the Forest Roadhouse and back. The wagon company's original schedule became unwieldy as all these demands were put together.

“The problem is the distance between the towns. It is close to 70 marks by the time the river crossing at Tranidor is taken into account. Normally that distance would take between one and a half and two days of travel.

“But the Forest Roadhouse was built at the foot of an incline across a rocky face, and this is about 22 marks distant from the town, maybe just a little bit more if you really want to be exact. This is approaching or on the limit of a day's journey to get there and back. This further means that from the Forest Roadhouse to Tranidor centre is just over 46 marks, which is more than a normal comfortable day's journey. Passengers do not like to go that far, it just tips the balance into discomfort.

“So a further overnight was built in to get round this problem, making the journey go into a third day of travel.

“Now, this is where the wagoneers have made an inspired decision.

“They found a second roadhouse roughly half-way between the Forest Roadhouse and Tranidor. It is called Brayview. They have added a new building there to provide for the increased business.

“So the journey is split up into three stages, with distances for each of these stages (going downvalley) of about 22, 22, and 24 marks. That works out as a half day's travel for each stage of the journey.

“Then they made a final excellent decision.

“Each journey is advertised as leaving each place of call at the noon bell. Exactly. So each journey ends, at this time of year, just about at dusk. Everyone can remember that simple rule.

“Yes, it turns a day and a half's journey into a two and a half day one, but everyone involved knows the timetable, it is so very easily summoned to mind. A wagon departs from each end on each day of the week, except for one.

“And a final benefit from all this is that then the wagoneers have the mornings at each stopping point to check over their wagons and beasts, doing any necessary maintenance tasks. The built-in day's rest for each wagon means that so far, we have had no delays, any repairs being made when the wagon has its rest day.

“At the moment, it is not fully paying for itself, but it is not far off — the goods traffic is sufficiently high, and the Valley Messenger Service contribute by sending the non-urgent letters and packages with these wagons. The town is paying for the short fall in revenue, although Master Tanon is charging us only the costs. In the new year, with the increase in traffic and people, then we expect to make a small profit.”

Master B stopped his explanation and reached for his wine glass, but it was empty. I passed him the water jug, which he took gratefully.

“Master Bezan, thank you for explaining all that. It has been a lucky day for us, and I have learnt so much more tonight than I have in the last ten years at least. And we might have already found a new way of life. I am overwhelmed. I fully understand the Steward's and Mistress Julina's certainty about the future here.”

“Get used to it, Goodman. This town, and Mylady, and now, I must also add, Mistress Julina make a habit of finding solutions in unexpected ways. There is something in the air, or the water, or the soil, or the wind, or maybe in the starlight. It never ceases to amaze me.”

Our reflections on that statement were interrupted by Swayga coming in with the pel, which was a welcome spot of refreshment. Shortly thereafter Kords entered, announcing to Suril that the bathhouse was ready for him. The rain chose a moment later to stop drumming on the roof.

It wasn't long before Master Bezan took his leave and I put some more water on — I would need the bathhouse once Suril came out of it.

He was so delighted that he could have a proper, real bath that his face glowed not only from the scrubbing, but also from the enjoyment. It seemed as if he had scrubbed away some cares as well as some dirt. He went to see how Haka was doing, she not having returned from the bedroom.

It was at this point that we discovered a small problem.

Haka and Haris — and also our Kissa — were all asleep on my bed. Swayga lifted Kissa up and carried her to her own bed. Kords, Swayga and I then decided that Suril should have Kords' bed, letting the guests have a family night in our room. Kords could sleep with Swayga for one night, I being a bit too large for her bed as well as her. That left me effectively bedless, but I could sneak in with Julu as I used to do when she had nightmares, because she was the littlest.

Suril was shocked with the arrangements and wanted to wake his wife and child and go home. Another rain squall added its weight to our arguments that he should just accept our hospitality for the one night. He reluctantly allowed himself to be persuaded.

We tidied the house up. Suril was very effective and helpful, and it was all done extra quickly. He and I finished by banking the fires in the various rooms, and soon we were all asleep. We had a very good night actually, the baby only woke twice and wasn't particularly noisy either time.

The next day, however, would prove to contain even more surprises.


up
152 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another Winner!

It's great to see Blackstone fleshing out so well.

DJ

Right, no rocks...

I think instead, Julie will stick you inside a bag with a Felk :)

Grins

Grin, grin, grin

Another delightful read Julia

I really enjoy reading your stories about Julina`s adventures in what is quickly becoming quite the boomtown of Blackstone. Keep em coming.

Hugs,
Tamara Jeanne