Somewhere Else Entirely -90-

Printer-friendly version

Garia dredges her architectural memory to explain how to build a lightweight roof and Brydas fashions a present for his departing daughter. The inevitable happens with the arrival of a large caravan, bringing unexpected visitors both welcome and unwelcome. Sookie is surprised by an offer she can't refuse.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

90 - The Decree


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2013 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



True to Merizel's guess a deputation of guildsmen turned up the next morning wanting to know more about the Hall Garia wished them to build. Looking at Bezan's master plan and heading out the back entrance to the yard it seemed that the new building could be placed somewhere east of the main street, higher up the valley side. Further discussion indicated that some kind of road or street would have to be built for access, which fitted in with the general development guidelines that had been agreed.

"We can ask the miners to level the ground for the building," Bezan said. "The main problem we face will likely be bringing timber to the site for construction. Milady, do we have permission to select trees from the forest for building?"

"That's a tricky one," Garia replied, "as the forest isn't actually mine. I had an agreement from Duke Gilbanar to provide timber for the roadhouse," Bezan nodded, "but not for anything more. What would we do instead? If we can't use the forest, would it have to be brought all the way from Tranidor and beyond?"

"As you say, milady. I think it would grieve me to haul wood all that way, passing by suitable timber as we did so."

"I agree. The problem is, of course, that this will just be the first new building of many and we could end up chopping down the whole forest if we aren't careful."

"If we could use lesser timber, milady, then we may use trees nearer Blackstone. There are some small groves nearby we may choose from, but," Bezan wrinkled his brow, "we will need lengths of some width and length to span such a wide roof."

Garia grinned. "Not necessarily."

"Ah?" Bezan grinned back at Garia. The others stared at her, unsure what would be coming. "There is some method you can instruct to us, guildmistress?"

"Oh, probably any number of ways to do the job, Bezan, depending on what materials you have. Why don't we all go into my office, we can use the blackboard there."

Once inside, with the guildsmen gathered round, she picked up a piece of chalk.

"Now, there are many ways to do this. You'll have to experiment since I don't know the exact details here, but I can tell you what I saw and how my uncle described it to me. You see, he runs a big farm and one year when I was on vacation they were extending one of the big barns. To hold the roof up they used something called a truss. It looked like this..."

~o~O~o~

Garia and Brydas watched the guildsmen disperse. She turned to him.

"Is Senidet ready to leave, Brydas? We might have to go at short notice, though I think we have a few days yet."

"Aye, milady, she is. Her chest is packed, though she awaits some new garments from the seamstresses. She looks forward to the new adventure."

"And you? It will be quiet for you without her there."

"As you say, but all fathers know their daughters must eventually depart for new homes. This is not the normal way a daughter leaves her family home, though I do not begrudge it. She has a thirst for learning that cannot be quenched in this small place, at least not yet."

"That's true! Perhaps she'll come back one day soon, as a engineer to help Blackstone grow."

"Aye, milady. Then I will welcome her back as any loving father should."

"Have you thought of a leaving present for her yet?"

"I have not, milady. I thought, being a smith, perhaps a brooch or a bracelet. Have you a suggestion? Such matters are a mystery to me."

"You could always ask Sookie." Brydas colored. "But I have a better idea, why don't you make her a riding hat? It wouldn't take you long and the covering is easy for the seamstresses to add."

Brydas smiled. "Of course, milady. The perfect gift, made by her father's hand and yet both feminine and practical. I will begin as soon as we part company."

~o~O~o~

Two days later an interested group gathered in the courtyard again, with a number of curious townspeople looking on from the carriage entrance. The guildsmen had unloaded some demonstration models from a small two-wheeled cart and these lay on the cobbles in front of the group.

"These look good," Garia told them, "though of course I don't know how strong they are going to be. Have any of you tested them yet?"

"Guildmistress," the carpenter Torin said, "I did test this one, since I could not believe something so... insubstantial could be so strong. It bore my weight easily."

"Let's set them up and try them out," Garia suggested. "If we balance them across the corner here, on the walkways, that should allow us to try them out without putting anyone in danger."

With a guildsman holding each end so it stayed upright, the first sample was positioned from the walkway under Sukhana's window to that in front of the bath house. It was about two strides long and less than a foot high, and made of offcuts of sawn wood the carpenter had found in his workshop, the pieces glued and nailed together in a trellis pattern, with a narrow plank along top and bottom.

Garis stepped onto the top and carefully walked from one end to the other. She was followed by several of the heavier guildsmen, all marveling at the strength of the construction.

"That's good," she remarked, "though the weight of one of us is not like that of a whole roof, is it? Let's see how many people it can take."

Five people were able to stand on top before the first signs of strain were heard from the structure.

"Okay, that's good enough," she said when they had all hopped off. "That was just scrap timber, wasn't it? If you were making this for real, you'd probably be able to take twice the weight. Let's try the next one."

The second girder was made from two planks with a zig-zag arrangement of iron strips running between them. This proved as strong as the first, although the planks bowed alarmingly between the strip fixings when a man stood on them. The third girder was a box construction with trellis on all four sides and proved strongest of all, although walking along it was difficult as there was no flat surface.

"There you have it," she summed up. "You can make girders up any width you want and you don't need massive lengths of heavy timber to do it. You can make them all wood, a mixture of wood and metal or all metal. Brydas, if you were to make them of metal you could weld them as we discussed the other day, but riveting or bolting is just as good. It just depends on what you want to use them for or how easy it is to build them where you need them. Obviously you'll have to run tests to make sure they will be strong enough before you use them for real. Any questions?"

"Guildmistress," Bezan asked, "We began by asking about erecting a large roof for the new hall. It occurs to me that this method could be very useful elsewhere as well. Could we, for example, use this method for bridges?"

Garia nodded. "Absolutely! There are lots of bridges on Earth built using these methods. You'll have to remember to scale everything up if you want to make bridges this way though. You are thinking of the railroad?"

"Aye, guildmistress."

"The loads going across a railroad bridge can be extremely heavy. Even so, making a bridge this way could be cheaper and easier than using stone or concrete, at least for now."

"For now, milady?"

"We use concrete for most road and rail bridge construction these days, Bezan. But that depends on having cheap, volume supplies of concrete and the reinforcing rods to go with it."

"Ah, yes, guildmistress. I remember your description of the technique. We have coal, we have limestone from the Stone Sea, it should not be difficult for us to build a factory to produce the required cement. In fact, I have wondered whether the making of concrete blocks may be more useful to us than the transporting here of bricks made elsewhere."

Garia's eyes narrowed with thought.

"You may be right, Bezan, but remember that making cement and concrete blocks could use a lot of water, and water is one thing we don't have too much of round here."

"As you say, guildmistress." He smiled at Garia. "Then we shall just have to construct concrete pipes to bring water from elsewhere, guildmistress."

Garia grinned back. "You're catching on fast, Bezan. That's exactly the way to solve your problems."

"Lots and lots of nails, screws and bolts," Brydas mused. "Guildmistress, I must needs build another workshop. And employ more journeymen. The expansion of Blackstone has begun."

"You would need to expand anyway," Garia reminded him. "The miners will need all those things and more. Perhaps you need some more chartered smiths to assist? I could ask in Tranidor."

"I have already done so, guildmistress. Together with our carpenters, joiners and masons we have applied to our halls in Tranidor for guildsmen to join us. There has yet been no reply."

"Why am I not surprised? Most people there still think Blackstone is this little town at the back end of nowhere. Nobody will want to come here to work until they find out just what we are attempting to do."

"They must soon change their tune. They cannot ignore all those wagonloads of coal passing their gate without wondering what is happening."

"Aye," Bezan added. "I have heard, unofficially you understand, that the Lord Trosanar casts coveteous eyes on those wagonloads. Mayhap he intends trouble, guildmistress."

Garia grinned. "Mayhap he does! Well, I'm guessing we'll be staying with all the nobles along the route back, Bezan. We'll probably be answering a lot of questions along the way, answers few of them will understand. Or like, if they do understand."

"As you say, milady. Perhaps your double status as noblewoman and guildmistress may be of use in your endeavor."

Garia grimaced. "Maybe. We'll see."

~o~O~o~

"How do you feel? Sore?"

A mostly-female group had arrived back in the courtyard after a short ride around the hillside behind Main Street. Garia was speaking to Senidet, who was wearing borrowed riding gear and sitting on Merizel's frayen Topik, Merizel herself being restricted by Kalikan's call.

"It feels odd, milady, but no, I do not notice any soreness." Senidet eyed Garia apprehensively. "Should there be soreness, milady?"

"There's usually some discomfort at first, Senidet, because you're sitting in an unusual position with an animal moving under you," Garia explained. "Once you've been riding a week or so you usually adapt to the saddle and then everything feels comfortable. Any other thoughts on your first ride?"

"It seemed strange to be so high up, milady, with a great warm body under me." She smiled shyly. "I thought the ride was everything I imagined, milady. I look forward to further rides."

Garia smiled back. "That's great, Senidet. I'm not sure you're going to be able to do much riding until we get back to the palace, though. We just haven't the time to have a saddle made, though we can probably find enough clothing for you to wear. Your father's hat, how does that fit?"

"It is comfortable enough, milady, though I am not used to having something so heavy on my head. I shall become used to the weight if it permits me to ride."

"That's the attitude to take! Good! And remember, if you are to become an engineer, you will probably have to wear hard hats similar to your riding hat when you go on site. We don't want you to have rocks or tools falling on your head."

Everybody dismounted, Senidet with assistance, and they stood in the yard talking casually for a few moments. They would need to remove saddle and harness from their mounts before rubbing them down in their stalls, but a breather before the work was agreeable to all. Sukhana looked up at the sun.

"I should check the boys and girls have begun preparing the evening meal," she said to Garia. "If you'll hold Tixi for me, milady, I'll be but a moment."

As she walked off toward the kitchen Tedenis came running through the carriage entrance, to halt breathless in front of Garia. He saluted and gasped, a curious expression on his face.

"Milady, it is as it was before... there are many wagons and a host of men on the road."

"What? Who can you see?"

"Milady, there is dust, as before... but I have seen their colors, and they are those of my lord Trosanar. Is this what you expected?"

"Ted, I don't know. Run upstairs and alert the guard, please. I don't want us to be caught out by people pretending to be what they're not. Where's the commander?"

"He went up to the cistern, milady. They must have seen -"

A bugle note sounded, then three more short notes.

"Ah, right," Garia nodded. "The plan's being put into action. You know your place?"

Tedenis nodded. "Aye milady, upstairs out of view."

"Go, then." She turned to the others. "Let's get these frayen in their stalls. We'll take off saddles and harness but leave the rest for now. If necessary the stable lads can do that later."

Keren, Merizel and Bleskin came out of the common room. They walked smartly over to join the frayen party as they took their mounts into the stable.

"It looks like Trosanar's colors," Keren confirmed. "But we've no reason to expect him to come to Blackstone with a strong party, is there?"

"Unless your father ordered him to," Garia replied. "Whether it's him or not, there's no harm being ready."

"Aye, that's the truth. Do you think everyone will be in place?"

"Probably. If there's that much dust they won't be able to see much of what's happening in town, will they? Did you see how many wagons there were?"

Keren shook his head. "No, too much dust. They may have seen more from the Cistern."

The frayen were put in their stalls and relieved of their saddles and harness. Garia made sure Snep was properly settled before turning her attention to Tixi. A stable lad came and took over as the group returned to the courtyard. Sukhana stood apprehensively at the door to the kitchen.

"Carry on for now," Garia called, "but keep an eye open for anything unusual."

Sukhana gave a brief nod and then retreated inside the kitchen.

Keren looked at Garia. "Perhaps it is time we greeted our new travelers."

While the other women retreated to their upstairs quarters, Garia, Keren, Merizel and Bleskin walked out through the carriage entrance to await the arrival of the caravan. The first wagons were already across the bridge and approaching the town proper and Garia could see that the leading wagon looked familiar, as did the driver. Ahead of the wagon rode three men, one in colors of dark red and black, the other two in ordinary traveling garb - and very familiar. Garia stood out in the road to greet them.

"Jaxen! Welcome back to Blackstone."

Jaxen slid from his frayen and bowed to Garia. "Thank you, milady. As you see I bring company, not all of it as welcome as I, by most accounts."

The other two men dismounted and Garia walked to the other traveler, grasping his hand.

"Master Tanon, it is a great pleasure to see you again. You are always welcome to visit."

"Thank you, milady."

"It's a long way out of your way, though," she continued. "Any special reason for your visit?"

Tanon frowned at Garia. "Wagons, milady. You consume all I can find for the traffic. I thought to come and see for myself what manner of industry you have created here, where there was none before."

Before Garia could say another word the uniformed man stood in front of her and saluted.

"I am Severel, First Quadrant of Lord Trosanar's retinue. I am bid here by my lord to escort His Highness Prince Keren and Baroness Blackstone back to Tranidor with us. Where might I find the Prince and the Baroness?"

Garia swung and indicated Keren but before she could even open her mouth the man strode off and saluted him. Beside her Jaxen chuckled.

"I told him, but he wouldn't listen. I'm sorry, milady, I believe he thinks Lady Merizel is yourself."

Keren was wearing his usual palace fatigues - and Garia was still wearing her riding outfit in palace colors. Merizel, by contrast, was wearing a loose day gown of blue and looked every inch the noblewoman. Garia could see how that might look to someone who didn't know them.

"Rise, please," Keren told the man. "I am indeed Prince Keren, but you mistake my companion. Yonder is Lady Garia, Baroness Blackstone, with Master Tanon."

The man spun, shocked. Clearly he did not know what to do, since the two objects of his instructions stood apart. Garia grinned at Tanon and Jaxen.

"Come on, let's put him out of his misery." She led the way to join the others. "I am Baroness Blackstone," she told Severel.

"My Lady, my apologies. By your attire I thought you a servant of His Highness." He bowed again. "I am instructed by my Lord Trosanar to escort you and His Highness, as soon as may be arranged, to the safety of his castle at Tranidor, and thence on the southern road back to Palarand. I understand that other nobles along your route will provide further escort for you as you travel beyond Lord Trosanar's lands."

Keren asked, "Lord Trosanar has received some direct instruction from my father, then?"

"Aye, Highness, most explicit instructions. I believe that that Master Tanon's man bears a similar document addressed to you."

"Does he now? Very well, we'd better let you get camped up and we'll meet this evening to decide how to proceed."

"Camped up?" Severel stared around at the buildings. "Highness, we knew not what to expect. We thought you beleagered, at bay from armed men. Is there no place my men may reside this night?" He indicated the Claw behind Keren. "Who lives in this place?"

Garia looked at Main Street and wondered what Severel saw. The place, although now busy, still looked run down. Jaxen had brought paint on a previous visit but few had found time to spruce up their properties. Because of the warning given from the Cistern lookout, there was almost nobody on the street.

"I'm afraid we don't have any room," Garia told him. "While we've been in Blackstone I've taken over this old inn, but it is full of our men. Jaxen's men already have an arrangement with the Bell, over there, and they will fill it, so you'll have to camp up at the end of the street with the miners."

Severel looked at the dilapidated buildings with disdain. A poor, remote town. What was the Prince doing out here? No wonder his retinue had gotten into trouble! He looked at the indicated building. Bare wood, a faded sign with every last flake of paint weathered away, the name only readable because it left a darker mark: The Ptuvil's Claw. It seemed to be the largest building in sight, however. Surely..?

"There is no room in so big a building?"

Garia shook her head. "Not a spare corner anywhere." She smirked. "Unless you all fancy squeezing into the Womens' Dormitory. That's about the only room we're not using." She became solicitous. "How many of you are there?"

Severel replied stiffly, "Fourteen and myself, milady. You jest, surely. My lord understood you to be a small party."

Garia smiled. "Then he was mistaken. We are nineteen men and six women, Quadrant. Our men fill the Mens' Dormitory, the Prince has his own chamber, as does Captain Bleskin here. The rest of the space is taken by the many servants the townspeople have provided during our stay." She added, "The stables have near forty frayen and two wagons already. You'll have to go up the road."

Severel looked disgruntled. "As you wish, milady. But who will provide guard while we are yet distant? Shall I detail my men..?"

Keren spoke sharply. "You insult us, Severel. There is no danger here, not now. Look!"

He stuck two fingers in his mouth and whistled, two short blasts. From balconies and roofs, from alleyways and windows, armed men appeared pointing crossbows and, in two cases, longbows. Severel looked shocked as he realized the whole caravan had been covered since it had entered the town.

"Most of these men are of His Majesty's Palace Guard while the rest are of milady's troops, and most of those came from the Palace Guard as well. After recent events we are not so stupid as to admit a caravan if we do not know the people."

Severel went down on one knee and bowed his head. "Highness, forgive me. It seems all have misread the situation here. If you will give me leave, I will take my men and find them a place to camp."

Jaxen offered, "The coal wagons are going up there as well, Quadrant. They'll show you where to put your gear."

Keren said, "Rise, please. Join us in the common room here when you are settled." He turned. "Jaxen, we'd better be having that letter Severel spoke of."

Keren turned again, facing the street, and made another series of whistles to stand down the watching armsmen. Garia noticed some knowing grins from those of Jaxen's men who had been with them the first time they had come to Blackstone.

- - -

In the office were Garia, Keren, Merizel, Bleskin and Jaxen. The wagonmaster presented a thick, sealed document. Keren opened it and whistled.

"Looks like father was upset when he wrote this."

Garia waited until Keren had flattened it over the table and then began to read.


By the Maker's Grace I, Robanar, presently King of Palarand and all those lands that comprise the Kingdom of Palarand, do this day DECREE:

That my Son and Heir Prince Keren SHALL immediately and without delay DEPART from our distant lands and present himself as soon as is practical at the Royal residence;

That my Daughter Garia, Baroness of Blackstone in North Palarand SHALL immediately and without delay DEPART from our distant lands and present herself as soon as is practical at the Royal Residence;

That the said Prince and Baroness SHALL RESIDE at night in the protection of residences of nobles through whose lands they must journey;

That every noble through whose lands the said Prince and Baroness must journey SHALL PROVIDE an escort of troops so as to avoid interference in their journey by those seeking to kill, injure or abduct the said Prince and Baroness;

That the party of the said Prince and Baroness SHALL NOT suffer delay nor pay any toll at any bridge or ferry on their journey.

Made this day 14th Bretherin in the Year 1174 since the Great Flood.


Underneath were both Robanar's and Terys's signatures and the whole document had a thick red ribbon attached to it with the wax impression of the Great Seal of Palarand.

"Yeah," Garia agreed. "He was definitely upset when he wrote this. What do you think? Do we have to start back tomorrow?"

"Can we do it?" he responded. "I don't think we can, Garia. It will take us a day to sort ourselves out and organize the wagons, won't it? We don't even know how many wagons Jaxen has brought for us. There are some outstanding matters to complete and you can't leave like this when Tanon's just arrived, can you?"

"You're right. But that stuck-up Quadrant is going to want us down the road as soon as possible, isn't he? Think we can put him off?"

"He can't make me leave if I don't want to go," Keren said, tapping the document, "even with this in front of us. When we leave we're not going to go in a hurry and leave matters half-finished."

"That's good enough for me," Garia agreed. "Jaxen, how many wagons did you bring us?"

Jaxen ran a hand through his hair. "Milady, I have three for your use, a kitchen wagon and two for your gear. I remembered that you had the two wagons of Duke Gilbanar still here, milady, so estimated another two would be sufficient." He flipped a hand. "That Quadrant brought two wagons of his own, with all their gear, there are four more with supplies for the town and five to go up to the mine for coal." He smiled. "It was just like the good old days, milady. I can barely remember leading so large a caravan."

"What did you think of the new roadhouse?"

Jaxen smiled again. "A good building, milady. An interesting design but one I approve of." He grinned again. "Especially as Master Bezan asked advice of me during the building of it! It held us all comfortably, milady." His expression changed. "Ah, that reminds me. I wouldn't trust that Quadrant nor his men, Highness, Milady. They are not, let us say, of the quality of the Palace Guard. Severel left six men behind in the roadhouse when we left. I kept my mouth shut."

"Is that so?" Garia was becoming irritated by Severel's behavior. "We'll deal with Several later. Do you know why Master Tanon came with you?"

Jaxen shrugged. "To see you, milady, and to find out what giant hole has appeared in Blackstone to consume wagons, dranakh and men. That is all I know."

"So, let's ask him over and find out what he really wants."

A runner brought Tanon from the Bell, where he had been settling himself into a room.

"Highness, Milady." He studied both of them. "You have passed some trial, I deem. You are neither the young man nor woman who began this expedition, I think."

"Tanon, I cannot disagree," Keren said. "If we have time we will tell you the tale. Sit down and tell us why you have come."

Tanon found a chair and made himself comfortable. He scratched his chin while he thought what he had to say.

"Highness, Milady, firstly I am delighted to find you both here, both well and in full command of the town. You must understand that there are rumors of events here all over our lands and most seem to me to be highly exaggerated." He smiled. "For one, I have heard that you battled a ptuvil with your bare sword and survived."

Keren gave a wry smile in return. "Tanon, the story is partly true. I had my sword, aye, but the ptuvil battled for us, not against us. Rather, it was more interested in the men who were pursuing us than with ourselves. We escaped with our lives but barely."

Tanon looked surprised. "If you would permit, Highness, I should have the tale from you, that I might better tell fact from fantasy." He continued, "To my presence here, as I mentioned outside, the transportation of coal now occupies more than forty wagons, Highness. I expect the numbers to grow in time with the demand. I have workshops building wagons the length of North Palarand and the price of hiring dranakh has risen greatly. There is disruption of trade and much confusion along the valley of the Palar. It seems to me that I must needs open an office in this place to manage the traffic. By your leave, of course, milady."

"No problem, Master Tanon," Garia agreed. "It looks like Blackstone is about to have a building boom anyway, I'm sure we can find space for an office." She stopped, arrested by a thought which resulted in a big smile. "I have an idea."

Keren and Merizel rolled their eyes while Bleskin and Tanon looked on with interest.

"It's too near meal time to go into this, I think," she decided. "If you'll all join me in the common room after our meal, I think we can solve some of our outstanding problems." She looked at them, grinning. "We'll need all of us plus Sookie and Brydas."

"Sookie?" Tanon asked, surprised again. "She is still here in Blackstone? Does she travel with you when you depart, milady?"

Garia shook her head. "She's staying here, I think. She has discovered that our town smith has certain unexpected attractions for her. At the moment she's here running the Claw for me. I wondered what she could do when we left, now I think I know." She added, "I didn't know you were in the north, Master Tanon. I wrote Jaxen asking for wagons."

"Aye, milady. I was in Tranidor arranging wagons and dranakh for other cargoes when Jaxen received your letter. It occurred to me that I could spare the necessary days to come here and discover what you had made of your town. We have brought three wagons for your retinue, milady. Together with the two of Dekarran's origin we thought that might be enough for you, the Prince and all your retinue." He frowned. "Hearing you number your men and women in the street makes me wonder, milady. The wagons will be crowded with so many women."

Garia and Merizel grinned. "Not so crowded, Master Tanon," Garia told him. "At least three of us will be riding our own frayen. It will be more a case of squeezing all our gear onto the wagons than people." It was Garia's turn to frown. "We are short a wagoneer, though. One of the two Dekarran drivers turned out to be a spy for the enemy."

Tanon's eyebrows rose. "Do you tell me? That is grave news, milady. What happened to him? Is he prisoner?"

Keren said, "That business with the ptuvil, Tanon. He was one of those that attacked us. He died during the attack."

"An unexpected blow, Highness." Tanon nodded, thoughtful. "I may be able to lend you a man for your wagon, at least as far as Dekarran. Doubtless Duke Gilbanar can provide another for the rest of your journey."

"Thank you, Tanon. Your help is appreciated, as always."

A knock at the door revealed one of the serving girls stating that the evening meal would soon be ready, and would His Highness and Milady like to freshen themselves beforehand?

"I must go," Tanon said, rising. "I have asked Mistress..."

"Yanda?" Garia supplied.

"Aye. ...Mistress Yanda for my meal tonight, but I will join you here afterward."

"As you say, Master Tanon."

~o~O~o~

It was toward the end of their meal that Severel entered the front door of the common room to stop dead at the sight in front of him. All around were men seated at tables, eating their meals and talking together with the familiarity of long association. Serving boys and girls carried plates, trays of food, goblets and tankards back and fore. In the corner of the room a partitioned area was filled with a rack of barrels from which a woman was dispensing beer. At each end of the room fires flickered, banked down with so many bodies present.

He turned and saw the Prince, the Baroness and others of their party seated at an end table. The women had changed into presentable gowns but they were still all seated among their vassals, servants and armsmen. His lips pursed into a disapproving expression which he swiftly cleared. He was the guest here. He approached the Prince's table and bowed.

Keren waved an arm. "I'm sorry, Quadrant, if I had thought I would have invited you to dine with us. Find yourself a seat, man. Sookie! Beer for our guest!"

Severel found a space on the simple benches which all used and gingerly sat down.

"Thank you, Highness, for your thought, but it was better I saw to the laying out of our camp. I have eaten, thank you." He turned to Garia. "Milady, is there no public bath house in this town? I asked some local folk but none seemed to understand me."

"There is not, Quadrant," Garia answered. "We're not on the way to anywhere, you see. I guess that most people who came to Blackstone in the past came to visit family, or, if they did not, they would have stayed in the Bell Inn. Oh, or here in the Ptuvil's Claw before the wool trade collapsed." She turned to Bleskin. "Perhaps that is something that ought to be added to the town plan? What do you think?"

"Indeed, milady. If there are to be as many new people come to Blackstone, many of whom would stay only a short while, then we will need a public bath house." He nodded. "It may benefit those of the town who do not have their own bathing arrangements, milady. Aye, I will speak with Bezan in the morning."

Severel asked, "Your pardon, sir. We have not been introduced."

"I am Bleskin, Milady's Steward in her lands here."

Keren smiled. "What the good captain has modestly failed to add is that he is Captain Bleskin, lately commander of His Majesty's Palace Guard in Palarand, recently retired and familiar with these lands near those of his birth."

Severel hastily stood and banged his chest with a fist. "Sir! Your renown has reached even these distant parts of the Kingdom."

"Seat yourself, please, Quadrant," Bleskin said. "I am no military man any more, merely a guiding hand in Blackstone should such be needed." He waited until Severel had sat down and taken a sip from the tankard a servant boy had placed in front of him. "Quadrant, where are the rest of your men?"

"Ah, captain, not knowing the circumstances in Bray Vale, I left six at the roadhouse as my Lord Trosanar instructed me."

Bleskin looked as if he would burst a blood vessel but Keren held up a hand.

"Captain, Quadrant, this is not the time. We have more urgent matters to discuss this evening. Quadrant, have you or your men any needs other than a bath house? You have food and drink? Shelter? We think it will not rain tonight but in the mountains one can never be sure."

"Highness," Severel answered, "Thank you, we need for nothing. May I ask your plan for departure?"

"We cannot leave tomorrow, if that is what you are thinking, Quadrant. It is but two bells since we learned how many wagons our party would have for our gear, and it will take us most of tomorrow morning to properly pack them. I would add that even a town so small as Blackstone requires some careful governance. We knew that we would have to prepare to leave, once news of the attack reached the King, but there are still some essential tasks left to complete before we do so. We shall depart after breakfast the day after tomorrow."

"Highness, my Lord's instructions were most clear -"

"- as were my own, Quadrant. But we cannot leave for such a journey without making the necessary preparations, else we leave something undone. One day is all we need."

Severel nodded stiffly. "As Your Highness commands. Can I or my men be of assistance during that time?"

Keren leaned back, thoughtful. "I don't see why not, Quadrant. As you have no doubt realized we have little need for escort or watch duties within the town but we do keep a look-out post on top of the Cistern."

"You pardon, Highness? Cistern?"

"The big white stone building beside your camping place. It is where the town's water is collected before delivery to all the houses."

"Ah! Highness, I wondered at such a structure. All is explained." He nodded at Keren. "You shall find us ready in the morning, Highness."

Severel stood and took his leave. As the men finished eating most left to begin packing up their few belongings or to make themselves ready for their watch shifts. Soon, only those still seated at the top table were left, while the serving staff cleared the tables down and cleaned them ready for the morning. When Sukhana had finished overseeing the tidying up she washed her hands, hung up her apron and approached the table.

"You wished to see me, Highness?"

"Not me, Garia here. Have a seat, Sookie, until Tanon and Brydas arrive."

The two men appeared shortly afterward, talking together as they came through the front door. Keren waved them to seats and then all eyes turned to Garia.

"I had a thought this afternoon," she began, "after Master Tanon made a comment about all the wagons the coal is using. He said that he wanted to set up an office in Blackstone because of all the extra traffic we've generated."

"As you say, milady," Tanon agreed.

"Now I have some related problems which have to be sorted out before I leave. There's the Claw, which of course will be empty once we go, and there's Sookie, who has decided that she wishes to stay in Blackstone - if at all possible. If she does stay, what will she do? Somehow I get the impression that she wants to be more than just Brydas's wife... um, that didn't come out the way I meant it, honestly! I mean, she probably wants to take an active part in town life."

Sukhana's face was flaming red but she didn't deny Garia's statement.

"Milady, is my fate so plain to you? Brydas and I... we have not gone so far as you believe but as for Blackstone, you are right. Much will happen here in the coming years and I would be part of it."

Sukhana turned to Tanon. "Master Tanon, I enjoyed riding the wagons and tidying up the messes your men left behind them." There were several broad grins around the table. "I enjoyed traveling to distant lands as well. But since coming to Blackstone I have discovered that I like being in one place for a time, with a solid roof over me and a proper kitchen from which to prepare food. I have liked organizing this place for Milady Garia to reside in. Should you have some special commission that might interest me, I might consider it, but I would prefer to remain here if I can." She blushed again. "Personal reasons aside, that is."

Tanon looked taken aback. "Why, Sookie, I would not think to stand in the way of your happiness. You have been a valuable member of the company and I must needs look far to find a replacement for your talents, but I would not deny you your desires. This is the man?"

Brydas nodded. "Aye, Master Merchant, that I am. Milady Garia has the right of it, I am sorry to have stolen her from you."

Tanon turned back to Garia. "You have some plan, milady."

"I do. Sookie, you are comfortable running the Claw, aren't you? As my housekeeper you ran it one way, would you be capable of running it as a commercial establishment?"

Sukhana nodded. "Aye, milady. With Senidet's help I have understood the accounts, and your numbers make all the difference. When she departs with you I will apply to her father should I need further lessons."

Brydas rolled his eyes and grinned.

"My trade is smithing, not the tallying of accounts. I am no clerk but we will muddle through." He became serious. "Milady, do I understand that you wish to turn the Claw back into an Inn? The town could certainly use another such."

"Not... quite," Garia grinned. "Sookie, what I propose is this. I will lease you the Ptuvil's Claw at an annual rent of a Crown a year."

"Me? But milady..."

Garia held up a hand. "You'll sub-let it to Master Tanon as his Blackstone base at some suitable price you two can work out between yourselves. That means that you'll stay in charge here and you'll have the authority to hire and fire as you will. Master Tanon gets his office in Blackstone and a secure place to keep wagons, animals and men when they are in town. You won't have to worry about having the place full of rowdy miners or anything like that, you'll just have the wagon men, most of whom you probably know anyway. What do you say?"

As Sukhana stared at Garia in surprise Tanon stood and reached a hand across the table.

"Done, milady, and a better piece of business I have not made in many a year. I have not inspected the building but I do not doubt it will serve our purposes, which you are already familiar with, of course. Sookie is the perfect proprietor for such an enterprise, and you have my word she shall be fairly treated in all our dealings."

Garia took Tanon's hand and shook it, smiling. "Done, Master Tanon. I just wish all my problems were that easy to solve." Her smile changed. "Now I have to go and tell Mistress Yanda that I've taken her guaranteed trade away from her."

"Oh!" Sukhana said. "You need not worry about that, milady. She's already told me she's had to turn people away because of all the new faces around. I think she'll be happy enough to see the wagon traffic come over here. It's not as if we're in competition, anyhow. There will be plenty new visitors to keep her rooms filled. Perhaps we will need another inn in Blackstone soon."

"You'll do it, then?"

"I think so, milady. I will have to pay staff which I don't now, but I would rather do that anyway. Like you I do not like this notion that the townsfolk give service to their lieges for free, but what do I know? Without such service your own visit to your lands would have been more difficult, that I know. But I would prefer to pay coin for service given."

"As would I. Perhaps things will change in the future. So, the moment our wagons roll out onto the street the place is yours, Sookie."

There were tears in Sukhana's eyes. "Thank you, milady."

~o~O~o~

"That was clever, what you did."

They were standing in the yard, as usual, but the yard had three wagons in it and goods and tackle lying all around. Because of this there were extra guards present which meant that Garia and Keren couldn't be as intimate as usual.

"It was one of those things," she replied. "I couldn't see what to do with the Claw and I knew Sookie wouldn't be happy just keeping house for Brydas. She has to be running something."

"Aye. I know the type. My father is married to one."

"That's the truth! Anyway, along comes Tanon - who I never ever imagined would show up in Blackstone - and the whole thing just fell into place. So, I have a Steward, I've started them on a Hall, I've found a future for the Claw, now all I need is a Sheriff and I can go away content."

"So," Keren said, "you're expecting a quiet ride home, then? What about these men of Trosanar's? Do you think he's up to something?"

"At the moment I think they're all running round like headless chickens, uh... brifilis, with almost no idea of what really happened out here. I don't trust those men but between our own men and Tanon's men - who I do trust - we should be able to stop any funny business." She flicked a hand. "That's for the future. Let's get ourselves organized and ready to leave first."

"Aye, Garia. Tomorrow will be a busy day. We still have much to do."

"Good night, then, my love. We will be one day nearer solving the big problem, won't we?"

"Aye. I would like it to be solved, but I suspect the solving will be more difficult than we expect."

up
374 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another day closer

D. Eden's picture

An excellent chapter, and as Garia and Keren noted they are much closer to solving their big problem than they were a day before.

Like Keren, and probably many others, I suspect there will be trouble on the way home - starting at the road house, if not before. It appears that Garia is already being challenged in her rights and about her lands and ownership of the road house. Departure should be interesting. I foresee a challenge as to who is in charge on the way home, starting as soon as they leave.

I can't wait to see more!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Thanks

Before I read this latest installment I wanted to say thank you for this series. When I first found this story I read like three books in one sitting.

Look forward to each chapter.

And again thanks

katelyn

Another day closer

A great mid-week surprise! I've known a few stuffed shirts in my time but this Quadrant Leader raises my hackles. I trust him about as far as I can throw my house.

Best,

DJ

The Summons

Doesn't time fly? It's probably been about a fortnight (their time) since sending the letter back to Palarand, it only seems like a few days! Then again, Garia's days are so action-packed it's hard to keep track of which day what happened! In the latest developments, trusses (of various designs - they may even get around to using trusses of trusses - e.g. a pitched roof whereby not only is the rafter design trussed, but the hypotenuses are themselves trusses) plus an interesting financing agreement on The Claw: Garia has the freehold, Sookie has the leasehold, then sublets it to Tanon.

Of course, the ride home's going to be interesting - not only is Garia's retinue larger than Severel expected, but several members of the party he expected to be travelling in wagons will be riding instead - most of them women (shudder the thought)! Even before then, his mind's going to boggle when he sees some of the equipment loaded onto the wagons (will they be taking the demonstration steam engine with them or leaving it behind?), and before then when he finds further evidence that Garia's relationship with and attitude to her staff is considerably more informal than is customary.

Oh, and if word gets around about the Ptuvil unintentionally assisting Garia, if a bit of careful spin is added to the grapevine story, she could possibly even bluff that if there's any trouble, she'll give it a call :D (The Ptuvil Whisperer, anyone? :D)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Go with the flow .....

.... seems appropriate on a number of (or should I say 'severAl'?) levels, and I am NOT including Merry's slight incapacity at the moment.

- G had said that there should be time for another Noble's Court before she went, so that seems to be knocked on the head.
- The Sheriff needs to be sorted - I had imagined that the Town Assembly (TA in future!!!) would present 3 or 4 candidates in the initial instance, and G would give them formal interviews - but that seems to be a no-go now.
- Water supply is soon going to go critical, particularly now we have learnt there is already a stream of coal traffic
- Severel already appears to be inflexible, and reluctant to adapt to circumstances. And as for approaching a town believed to be besieged and leaving more than one third of his force behind .... And as for blindly following master-tactician Trosanar's instructions which were based on no intelligence whatsoever ...

- and so it goes ...

I liked the quite neat solution as to the use of both the Claw and Sookie. I hadn't seen that coming, as I assumed (yeah, yeah - ASS and U and ME) that the agreement with the Bell would have been not so easily overturned!

Public bath house! Raises the question of current health practices in the poorer echelons.

One part of my mind has been concerned with the filthiness of transporting coal and I'm sort of surprised that G hasn't suggested/devised/explained wagon lining ....

As usual, Penny, this is simply brilliant

Thanks for another fix.

One question, though.

When's the next coming?

*grins*

J

Garia is from Kanas

She's never seen the mess that coal transportation can make. I imagine that after a while, the path from Blackstone outbound will be known as The Black Road. Perhaps there will even be a road solely for coal?

Other than that, my only focus is to get Keren and Garia married. :)

Gwendolyn

Going... Flowing...

You'll notice a jump of two days near the start of this chapter. It implies that things happened which aren't of much consequence so far as the story goes. I don't want to bore my readers with every single detail that happened (though some of them seem to want it) because we'll all lose sight of the bigger picture. You may assume that the Noble's Court happened during those two days.

The Sheriff will appear shortly. He has to :) This isn't a democracy nor a job search so the method of appointment is a little more direct than you might think.

Water supply isn't going to be a problem in the short term.

Severel... well you'll find out all about that shortly.

The coal, for now, is probably being transported in surplus sacks rather than being loaded loose into the wagons. It will make it easier to handle since a certain amount of trans-shipment is required en route. The wagons will still get filthy but no more so than with any other ore the miners are used to extracting.

Thanks for playing!

Penny

Light to my life

This story never fails to brighten my day; masterfully written, realistic, spicy, innovative and adventurous.

Methinks, that there be mischief amiss with this new fellow, though I doubt that he has taken the measure of Keren or Garia correctly.

Thank you

Gwendolyn

Mischief

Oh, you're right there, Gwen. I think the word you're looking for is 'clueless'.

Severel's boss has made certain assumptions and given his minion instructions based on what he believes. Fun times ahead!

Penny

And the main problem>?

Yes, it most probably will be more difficult to solve. Social mores and customs are usually the last things to change in times of great environmental and industrial and educational change. Often the stress of other developments force the changes not often peacefully either.

The relationship between Keren and Garia will I think, ultimately result in a complete restructuring of the monarchy in Paraland and that will involve huge social changes. Let's hope Garia has the skills and historical knowledge to circumvent the very real potential for violence that rapid social change often brings.

Excellent story as ever Penny.

Thanks.

Bevs.

xxx

bev_1.jpg

Boiling a frog in warm water.

I think that social change is proceeding quite rapidly here in America and at times I worry about Civil War, again. So, for me SEE seems all the more realistic because of what I can observe here.

On this site, we only think that Gay rights are the most important, while we have our culture increasingly dividing along economic lines.

I hope that Garia does not suffer the fate of a Joan of Ark. There are bound to be those who believe that Garia has ruined things.

Lately, I have been increasingly encouraged to assume the role of a conventional woman, and it has been something to adjust to. I will not win. I hope that Garia does.

A

Growing young gracefully.

I don't think it is economic

I don't think it is economic lines - it's racial. The various 'leaders' of different racial groups (specifically hispanic, black, and white) keep pushing divisiveness and destruction, rather than ways to deal with problems internally. Just look at the whole Zimmerman crap for an overly obvious example.

Percentagewise, the economic divide isn't big enough for a civil war. Heck, it wouldn't even be an uncivil argument.

As for SEE - it doesn't appear that they really have that much in the way of racial arguments; it's probably more like our 'world' in the 1700's or earlier. Most of the tensions were between groups of people because 'they' were different, rather than because they were green, orange, or blue.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

1) I suspect that as they

1) I suspect that as they quarry the stone sea, they'll quickly end up with a large, and possibly deep, area that will be paved into an overflow lake. Meaning that they'll trap rainwater and funnel it down towards town. One thing about concrete, especially bricks - you can make it when the rain/water is plentiful, then just stack it up for use when you don't have water to keep making them - and then using the same labour force for the construction. (Basically, you'd do bricks and concrete during the 'wet' season, then just concrete during the 'dry' season. You _can_ build with concrete when it's raining - you just have to keep it from being flooded. It just takes much longer to cure. )

2) Nothing says she can't have a quick court; packing will primarily be done by those who are experienced in doing it - such as Sookie, Jaxon, and some of the armsmen.

3) Keren still has the document from Gilbanar, which gives him the ability to grant timber harvesting rights, even if it's just a one time use, with the requirement to move/plant seedlings. Trosanar may be in for a bit of a rude surprise if/when he decides to overawe the 'Baroness' with his being a 'Count'. (Usually, that would mean that she would be one of his subjects, as he is the subject of the Duke, who is then a subject of the King. In rare cases, of which this is one, I suspect, a noble would be under the direct authority of a higher noble - as in Garia under Gilbanar)

I would venture a guess that the six men left at the roadhouse were under orders to try to push Trosanar's claim that it should be under his control, as the overarching lord of the region.

BW


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Points raised

1. The Stone Sea, as we have related, is essentially porous. Building a reservoir there is a thought but there may be other solutions available (and no, that wasn't a pun). You're right about the brick/block making, of course. With a distinct rainy season the required water can be collected and used while it lasts.

2. See my note above. The court may already have happened. It just didn't need any significant reporting.

3. Garia irritates Trosanar greatly - and we'll find out what happens in the next few chapters. I'll only add that she isn't his liege - she is Gilbanar's. Trosanar didn't care what happened to Blackstone so long as it was a dump on the way to nowhere, but now...

Oh, yes, fun times ahead.

Penny

Eh. To build a reservoir

Eh. To build a reservoir will require a _lot_ of material to be removed and used first; then you'd just about have to pave some of it, to reach further in for more materials.

I think you meant 'vassal'. Trosanar is not Garia's liege, she is not his vassal. She is the vassal of Duke Gilbanar.

Gee, do I see someone attempting claim jumping? :)

Too bad for him that Garia and Keren have already talked about nature preserves, as well as how to keep people from turning across the river into a wasteland.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Wrapping up

terrynaut's picture

They're nearly ready to roll. I'm looking forward to seeing them get back to the palace. Blackstone was a fun and interesting diversion but I prefer the palace.

Thanks for letting Snep have a little time in this chapter.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

The palace

If you prefer the palace (I do) then you'll probably like Milsy's story when it appears. I've begun writing it slowly as a background task but it is tricky because I have to keep referring back to the main story to ensure everything meshes right.

The first two chapters have a lot of cut+paste (of necessity) but the story is told from Milsy's viewpoint so should provide an interesting side dish when it eventually arrives.

Of course it will eventually dovetail back into the main plotline at some point. Cue some very confused people!

* Since we are about to go back on the road you'll see more of Snep soon. He definitely has his part to play in this tale.

Penny

Severel, a jerk and quite

likely a problem on the road home I think!? He has the attitude of one who believes that he is above socializing with anyone that does not supposedly befit his status or rank. Not the sign of a good leader if anyone asks me!

Aside from that as usual I find this story immensely wonderful. :}

Vivien

Severel is just a prequel of what is to come

.... I am sure.

It has already been hinted at in previous episodes that that Trosanar is not much loved by the people on his lands at all. And as shown at that memorable party in the castle with all these 'nobles', they are a loathsome, covetous crowd who perk up at the first hint of somehow getting more land/money. Garia being technically single may now be passing through lands of nobles who may now find her a suitable target for 'matchmaking' as there is money on the air and these vultures (or whatever the local carrion avians around Anmar are called) will be on her like ptuyvil on a kill.

Oh, and to follow on with that thought, they would doubly object to a marriage of Garia to Keren as they will lose out triply if such were to come to pass as they could lose out on a marriage gaining possibly more influence with the crown and money and the opportunity to muzzle change contrary to their own interests.

Anyway, if Severel's attitude is any indication of his master's attitude, I doubt his men of arms will be that great of a protection and may even be a hindrance. Sadly there are no national army per se and instead the local nobles will be providing the protection.

Frankly this could be another journey of discovery. Garia's actions in her own demesne will only invite comparison by the common folk and between their own lord and Garia and cause even more discontent against those nobles. Garia and possibly the royal family may be the only nobles spared such. In any case, meeting more of these erm folks will help Keren decide how to best deal with such rabble and protect the people who live at these nobles' whim to better themselves.

Kim

Vultures (aka Buzzards) ...

... are called feltren (singular) and feltris (plural), according to Julina's Chronicles (#01). Payter Eketta has compiled a fascinating Gazetteer of the things mentioned in S E E chapters and in J o B vignettes. It is accessible from the bottom of each S E E chapter as it appears. Cheers. J.

Oh and by the way - it seems to me that it is sensible getting the nobles to provide guards along the way, otherwise the Palace guard would have had to be despatched, leaving a large hole in the protection of the palace, the City and maybe even the country!. As these revolving guard details are encountered, then I suspect that the standards of efficiency will vary. This lot under Severel will probably assigned to baggage guard duties!

I suspect here might be a few jurisdictional matters arising soon if Lord T is really trying to take over the roadhouse as a part of his sphere of influence.

The Roadhouse

Technically from what I have been able to determine the Roadhouse is well outside the jurisdiction of the demesne of Lord Toranar. I have him listed down as a Baron in the Gazetteer not a Count so his demesne would not extend as far as the Roadhouse. I doubt that even a Count could make it stick. Technically it would fall under "Wildlands" which come under the perview of Gilbanar to do as he wishes including assigning jurisdiction. I would imagine that Uncle Gil would assign jurisdiction to his "niece" over Toranar.

Trosanar's Rank

I have just had a long look through the chapters and I can't find anywhere that states definitively that Trosanar is a Baron. (If anyone does, can they PM me.) I'll admit that subconsciously I had thought that he would be a Count, since only someone of that rank would have a town the size of Tranidor as his seat of government.

As for his lands, the situation with regard to Bray Vale is somewhat complex, and may be revealed in the next few chapters. I won't say much more here as it's definitely plot spoilers.

Penny

Sending Men

If you think about it, it is a lot easier to send a message via the service than it would be to organize a file or two of men-at-arms and put them on the road to the other end of the country. Besides which, it is the job of Robanar's lieges to supply him with troops when requested.

There's a whole logistical complexity to moving troops everyone seems to forget (except quartermasters, of course). Even Severel's 20 men (and 21 frayen) required two wagons (and two drivers and two dranakh!) to carry their gear and supplies and they are only going to be on the road for five days or so!

Much better to fire off a decree and get your local nobles to organize and pay for the troops and their upkeep.

Penny

Loyalty becomes an issue as well as troop quality

consistency becomes an issue.

By that logic, the US should rely on National Guard units to wage any wars then. Local troops engender regional loyalties.

At the rate Palarand is getting wealthy the cost may very well be bearable.

Kim

The US _does_ sort of depend

The US _does_ sort of depend on the National Guard. Much of the National Guard is made up of the military Reserves of one stripe or another.

I'd envision there ending up being a 'road guard' of sorts, which would be purely royal, and not answerable (directly) to the various nobles. Otherwise, you'll end up with the whole 'can't pursue out of your jurisdiction' mess.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I don't get to comment often

But I wanted to let you know that I am enjoying this very much.

Hugs

Barb Allan

Awesome

Elsbeth's picture

Awesome as ever, love the history and the depth and complexity of the world. Always a fan of world building and am enjoying this very much.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Hmmm, lets hope Severel is on

Hmmm, lets hope Severel is on the level, we've seen how easy it is for a spy to slip among them. Great story as always.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

An Enjoyable Saga

I am enjoying this story very much. I must admit I would be enjoying just as much if Garia had been a girl back in Kansas. The TG aspect is almost unnecessary.

Styx

I disagree. I think the TG

I disagree. I think the TG part has been essential to the plot development. It shows that the 'beings' aren't perfect, can be confused, and that there's something _else_ involved other than the 5th dimensional beings out there. (I'm assuming that part of why they're different is that they don't fully exist in our standard four dimensional space)

Penny isn't focused on the TG other than that and the fun "this is different" sections - it's not a constant bludgeoning like many of the other stories. "Look, I was a guy! Quit staring at my tits! I can't believe I have to sit!" (every ten minutes)

Heck, there's less TG action in this story than there is in the standard Jack Chalker book.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Tixi

We haven't heard any more comments from the frayen section. What's Tixi and Snep up to?

DJ

*snort* *snort*

*snort* *snort* *pbbththththtt*


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Frayen friends

Melange's picture

Why, they're huddled together under a roof somewhere, enjoying the rain together. Just like every other couple visiting the Lover's Courting-yard at the Claw ;)

Trust

I thought that giving Sookie the building was extremely kind. I don’t trust the lords men. I really liked the letter it showed he care that he was so mad.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Super steamed or really pissed?

Jamie Lee's picture

The people of Blackstone have always had the ability to do what they are now doing, they just needed the ideas which pointed them in the right direction.

Using a tressel for roof supports or I-beams have given the woodworkers ideas they may run with for future construction.

Sookie needed the Claw, it's what she's good doing, it's what she enjoys. Just like taking the girls along to further their education and maybe getting them into the guild.

After everything they've been through, being cautious of Several is a wise precaution. It might also be a good idea to fill him in on the recent events so he gets the stories straight.

Staying with the nobles on their way back is going to be a huge job of playing diplomat when Blackstone comes up. It's possible more than one hand will be offered in order "to help" one so young get it right. Keren best keep a tight grip on one of Garia's arms, or there might be one less noble.

Best Garia wear her swords as she travels, instead of wishing she had them.

Others have feelings too.