Starting College my way. Chapter 10.

Printer-friendly version

Starting College my way. A story of fiction by Symphony Simms.

Starting College my way. Chapter 10.

Little black submarines. Thursday September 12th
-
-

I woke up in bed on my own after having sex with another person for the first time in my life, but I was certainly not expecting my first sexual partner to be MJ. MJ had shocked me by looking so attractive when we went out last night, then kissing me in the car while still in the parking lot and blowing me in my own bed last night. She may have planned it that way but I wasn’t complaining.

I have really enjoyed being a girl for the last few days, but I certainly enjoyed being a boy last night. I am enjoying myself so much right now I don’t see how I could give anything up.

MJ had totally surprised me as I thought she was only interested in girls. Maybe she likes me because I look like a girl? Maybe she thinks of me as a girl with a bonus? I will ask her, but only when I know the others can’t hear us.

Time was galloping along as usual and I needed to do all of the things a girl needs to do to get ready for college, but my mind kept drifting to how MJ had treated me like a boy in bed last night, if we don’t consider that I was wearing a nighty and panties that is. So I continue to be screwed up, so what’s new. Today I am happily screwed up.

After my shower I got partially dressed then went back into the bathroom to put my make-up on where there was more light. MJ followed me in wearing her sleeping tee shirt. She pulled her panties down to the floor and sat on the toilet for a pee with a silly smug smile on her face.

“Are you sure you should be doing that in front of me?” I asked.

“We are all just girl’s together here,” she said, almost daring me to disagree with her. She was talking loud enough so anyone in the kitchen could hear. “If you want to share an apartment with girls you will have to get used to it.”

I carried on putting make-up on in the mirror and when she had finished what she was doing she stood behind me facing the door and reached behind her to place a hand between my butt cheeks causing a mild jolt of shock. I dropped my mascara in the sink from the surprise. Then she left without saying anything.

The vision of the kid in the candy store came to mind, wearing a pretty dress of course. It seems I can have almost anything I want. I hope I done eat too much and make myself sick.

I got myself ready and went into the kitchen. Carla was telling Angie about our little impromptu jam session while MJ was cooking something on the stove.

“I am making myself an omelet, would anyone like one, Leslie?” said MJ.

“I would love an omelet,” I said. “Do you have any ham and cheese to put in it?

“No just green pepper, onions and olives,” said MJ. The other two expresses contentment with cereal.

“How about sausage or bacon?” I asked.

“Angie,” said MJ. “Can you remind Leslie what kind of apartment this is?”

“This is a girl’s apartment Leslie,” said Angie. “We only eat healthy foods.”

“Bummer,” I said. “An omelet without meat in it doesn’t sound right.”

“Well you are working at the Coffee Hutch today so you can go get yourself a free breakfast if you want,” said MJ.

“That reminds me ladies,” I said. “Tonight I get free dinner at the Coffee Hutch because I am entertaining. Can I entice any of you to swop a nights cooking so I can take advantage of a free meal?”

“But we three have already cooked this week and you haven’t cooked at all since you came here!” said Carla. “How are you going to balance things out, unless of course you cook next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday?”

“Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday?” I asked. “That sounds to me like punishment.”

“I suppose it might seem like punishment to you as you used to be a boy,” said Carla. “But as you are now a girl you should enjoy cooking and cleaning just as much as we do!”

“You mean you actually enjoy cooking and cleaning?” I asked.

“Yeh right!’ said MJ.

“Sure,” said Angie, “we love it so much we want to be absolutely certain that we don’t have to do your cooking and cleaning for you.”

“Which day does Leslie clean the bathroom?” said MJ.

“That was supposed to be yesterday,” said Carla.

“Oh come on,” I said. “This sounds like you are ganging up on me.”

“You are the one who wanted to come live in a girl’s only apartment. It wasn’t our idea,” said Carla. “You are now going to have to live up to your commitments. You will have to do the bathroom this evening before you go to the Coffee Hutch.”

“Ours mothers don’t sneak in here and clean up when you are out Leslie,” said Angie. “And we are certainly not going to allow this beautiful apartment to become untidy like a boys apartment. We have our pride to think of.”

“What? You don’t think boys have pride too?” I asked.

“Some of them maybe?” said MJ, but most boys are usually proud of how high they can stack the pizza boxes in their kitchens. You are a girl now so you better get used to how girls do it.”

I think MJ was giving me a hard time like the others were which must be her way of not letting anyone suspect anything.

I did notice a change in MJ’s appearance this morning. She was wearing a tighter fitting T shirt inside her jeans so you could see her shape, which by the way is a very nice shape, and she was wearing some make-up and her lips were definitely kissable again today.

I snapped myself out of that thought and asked MJ if the veggie omelet was still on offer and she said it was. But as soon as she gave it to me, and I thanked her of course, she cleaned up the pan and her plate and left me on my own with my omelet.

I do understand the way they did things, like cleaning up everything so there was never any mess for anyone else to deal with, but it just takes a little getting used to, especially since my Mom always did everything for me when I was at home.

After my omelet I cleaned up like a good girl and got ready for school. Today I was going to do something new for me as I was going to wear jeans. Not boy jeans of course but the stretchy girl’s jeans that Fiona helped me pick. I also wore a peach colored tank top with a sheer top over it. My corset was underneath everything of course.

I could tell the fit of the jeans was going to take some getting used to. There was not the same room in them for my boy’s equipment. There was a certain amount of pushing, pulling and rearranging that had to be done before things were comfortable and looked right, but that’s my problem I don’t want to trouble you with it.

I got to class early and sat by Connie and Caroline then Vic came and sat on my end of the group and Lawrence came and sat at the other end next to Caroline. They seemed happy to see each other, which I hoped would keep any attention away from me.

Vic wanted to tell me about his new piece of equipment for his guitar that he thought I might find interesting. I did but we had no time to talk before class so after class we went to the cafeteria together. The 5 of us at one small table, which was a little crowded, but they seemed to like getting close to each other.

“So we went to the Guitar Center last night and I bought a new toy to use with my guitar and amp. It’s called a looper,” said Vic. “It allows you to play a few bars then click the pedal and it plays it back to you, then you can play over it. It’s like having your own accompaniment.”

“That sounds really cool,” I said.

“I can show it to you and let you try it. What are you doing tomorrow?” asked Vic.

“I have to go home this weekend,” I said, “But maybe if we go to the music club meeting on Tuesday you could show me?”

“You are going to miss some really good activities this weekend Leslie,” said Connie. “We have already been invited to a house party at the beach and a free concert at the Washington and there is a student festival all day Sunday. You will miss it all.”

“I have to go home but it sounds like I may miss a lot of fun stuff,” I replied.

“Why do you have to go home already Leslie? You only just got here?” said Vic from across the table.

“Just some family business I have to deal with face to face.” I said.

“Your loss,” said Connie. “The four of us went together to the Guitar Center last night then we stopped somewhere on the way back for a bite. It was a fun time. So what did you do?”

“Oh my roommate MJ took me to this coffee bar where I met some people and played guitar.” I said making things up as I went along. “We had a good time too.”

“That’s cool,” said Vic. “I am up to go anywhere where I can meet people and play guitar. Will you take us?”

“I don’t know,” I said. “It was a little far for a school night. I may not go back.”

“So you don’t want us to mix with your new friends Leslie?” said Lawrence.

“It’s not that,” I said, “but I have got a lot to do and if the assignments get heavy like they say it will, I won’t have time to travel that far very often. Because of my activities this week I have already had to promise to cook next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.”

“I even have to clean the bathroom before I go to the Coffee Hutch tonight.”

“But you are going to be there for dinner at 7?” asked Caroline.

“Sure I will,” I said. “I have asked Fiona to join us and who knows who else might come.”

“Want me to come and get you Leslie so I can carry your guitar?” asked Lawrence. I didn’t want to turn him down again. He is a nice guy after all.

“Yes OK,”I said. “About 10 minutes before 7 would be good.”

He agreed and we planned for the 5 of us would have dinner together, plus Fiona and Rebecca would be 7.

At lunch time I went to a meeting of the Dramatic Society. I had arranged to go because Rebecca texted me a couple of times and I hadn’t seen enough of her these past couple of days.

It was an informal meeting in one of the engineering rooms and Anders said he would speak to us about what he had planned so far. There were about twenty people and most of them were girls.

“I have spoken and listened to most of you over the last couple of days,” said Anders. “We have planned to do a musical but as yet most of our cast volunteers as you can see are girls and I haven’t been able to find a Romeo yet.”

“I know that I have not assigned hardly any of you roles yet but I can tell you that most if not all of you will have a role of some sort, but I need to select the lead roles then assemble a cast around them.

“We need someone to play Romeo. Someone who can look like a young man and can carry a lead singing role. I have more than enough women with good voices, but I have an idea,” Anders continued.

“Leslie I am going to spring this on you, but you have a powerful voice for a women and you sing in a slightly deeper register than most. Do you think you might consider playing Romeo for us? You have shortish hair already and you certainly can sing.”

I was a little shocked and didn’t know what to say. I had only intended to give a little support for the group. I never intended to take a lead role.

“I don’t know what to say Anders,” I said.

“You don’t have to say anything now,” said Anders, “Just think about it. Most of our rehearsals will be Wednesday evenings and Saturday Morning. Just give it some thought. I don’t know if you have time to commit to the project but I hope you do. I think you could really pull it off.”

“Our next meeting will be on Saturday but I will still be in the selection process but I hope by next Wednesday I can have agreement on all of the parts and we can start with read throughs and I can show you some of the music.”

“I have one song I would like to play for you now if you all have the time.” He pulled out an iPod with some portable speakers that he plugged into the wall and played the song. It was the old Dire Straits song Romeo and Juliet. I remember some of the lyrics.

A love struck Romeo,
Sings the streets a serenade
Laying everybody low
With a love song that he made
Finds a street light
Steps out into the shade
Says something like
You and me babe, how about it?
Juliet says hey it's Romeo,
You nearly gave me a heart attack
He's underneath the window, she's singing
Hey la my boyfriend’s back
You shouldn't come around here
Singing up to people like that
Anyway, what you gonna do about it?

Juliet, the dice was loaded from the start
And I bet, and you exploded in my heart.
And I forget, I forget, you know the movie song
When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong Juliet?

When the song ended Anders continued to talk about his vision.

“I have this idea Leslie,” said Anders, “that you could play the Romeo part with a guitar hanging from your back and every once in a while you could pull out the guitar and sing some of the song.”

‘Oh Shit’ I thought to myself. He has already put a lot of thought into this and he has planned with me in mind.

Rebecca took hold of my hand while I was sitting beside her numb and bemused.

“You could do it,” she said. “You would play a wonderful part. He is right that if you tried you could look and sound like a boy. You could be wonderful.”

“I just don’t know,” I said as I sat there feeling shocked. He was asking me, a boy who was pretending to be a girl, to pretend to be a boy. How messed up was that.

“I am sure you could do it if you wanted,” said Rebecca. “You do sing differently to most other girl’s. You would make a wonderful Romeo.”

As Rebecca was trying to encourage me, Anders brought a very attractive Asian looking girl to meet me. She had classic shining black hair, beautiful pale yellow skin and big bright eyes. She was quite stunning.”

“This is Hazel,” said Anders. “I have asked her if she could play Juliet and she is considering it. I thought you should meet each other.”

“Hi Leslie,” she said offering me her hand which I took as she sat down beside me. “Anders says you have a wonderful voice. So what do you think?”

“I think you are a very beautiful woman,” I said. She held her hands to her face and blushed. I wasn’t sorry I said it. She was beautiful.

“I am very sorry for Leslie,” said Rebecca. “Leslie is one of those people who says exactly what is on her mind. It’s one of the things that I love about her.”

“I am sorry Hazel. I wasn’t trying to make you feel uncomfortable. You are just!” Rebecca cut me off.

“Leslie you are going to have to control that part of you,” said Rebecca. “Sometimes you go a little too far.”

I could tell by the inflection is Rebecca’s voice that she was not totally happy with me. I needed to make things better.

“I am Sorry Hazel,” controlling myself somewhat. “Have you done much singing or acting before,” I said trying to ignore the fact that I was staring into the eyes of yet another amazingly beautiful woman. And If I was going to play Romeo to her Juliet, I was going to get to kiss her, more than a couple of times.

“Yes I have done a few things. I am in my 4th year here and two years ago I played the lead in “Shall We Dance”, a story about Ballroom Dancing which we thought was quite successful.”

“Impressive. You dance too. Have you done any singing?” I asked.

“I did do some singing in high school and Anders assures me I could sing on stage after I sang a couple of songs for him.”

“Well I can’t say I am glad you are joining us because I haven’t said I would do it yet, but how can I say no now that I have met you?” Rebecca kicked me with her heel. It hurt.

“I believe you are playing here locally tonight. Do you mind if I come to see you.”

“Yes I am playing with my sister Fiona, and Rebecca will be there with a few of my friends. I am sure we could find you an extra chair.”

We discussed the details and she went back to speak to Anders but before she left she shook my hand again while looking me in the eyes and said, “I am very, very pleased to meet you. See you later this evening.”

I watched her walk away, and then Rebecca kicked me again.

“What was that about?” she said a little angrily. As angrily as she could in a room full of people without anyone noticing.

“What,” I said. “I only told her she was beautiful. I bet she knows it already.”

“That was a pass if ever I heard one,” said Rebecca. “I know because you did the same to me, and the way she smiled back at you could be more of a problem.”

“What I don’t get that,” I said. “What’s the problem?”

“I don’t know if I should tell you this in your already weakened state, but I suppose I have already let the cat out of the bag so far.”

She had already committed to telling me so I didn’t need to say any more. I listened to her and held her hand.

“This will make you happy,” she said. “She is lesbian. I know because I dated her.”

Now there was a revelation. Another gorgeous woman enters my life while I am dressed as a girl and she turns out to be lesbian. Coincidence or what?

“Oh my goodness,” I said. “The thought of you two in a bed together is astonishing.”

“Get rid of that thought Leslie it’s not going to happen again. We went our separate ways nearly two years ago. We have both moved on, and if you can’t get her out of your mind quickly I will be moving on again.”

“I’m sorry Rebecca; I didn’t mean to upset you. It’s just that sometimes I can’t control my mouth. You are the most astonishingly attractive woman I have ever set my eyes on and that hasn’t changed. I know we have only known each other for a few days but I don’t want to run the risk of losing you already.”

“Especially as we haven’t done anything with that information yet,” she said.

“What information?” I asked.

“The fact that you find me the most astonishingly attractive woman you have ever set eyes on. You haven’t done anything about it yet.”

That information took me by surprise. Had I been too slow to act? How was I supposed to know? I have never done this stuff before.

“Wow,” I said. “You think I should do something about it? I haven’t had a lot of time.”

“You haven’t had a lot of time,” she said. “But you could make up for it this evening.

“After the show?”

“Right after the show is a good time,” said Rebecca. “Just make sure you don’t let anything get in the way.”

“I will have to make sure my sister gets away OK cause she has to get back to Philly, but after that I will be all yours.”

“You make sure of it,” she reaffirmed.

Time was passing away again and we had to leave. We quickly said goodbyes and I headed back to class. Now I really had something to look forward to.

The afternoon class passed without incident, but I picked up an assignment that needed to be completed by Monday. I knew something about that subject already so research would be easy, just a little time consuming.

I got back to the apartment and got straight into cleaning the bathroom. Angie was around to help me with what cleaners to use and give me a few hints. It wasn’t so bad cleaning up after girls, apart from the odd bra or pair of panties lying around. I am sure it wouldn’t have been so easy cleaning up after boys.

While I was cleaning Angie took some of my laundry and washed it. Just added a few things to hers is all and it didn’t take any extra effort, but she only did whites. The other stuff I would have to take home tomorrow. The thought of me giving girl’s clothes to my Mom to wash was interesting.

While I was cleaning the girls made supper for themselves and then I got ready to go out. While I was in the shower Fiona arrived and when I came out of the bathroom mostly made-up already, Fiona was talking to the others over dinner. Fiona even had some salad with them. They were talking about my first week as a girl.

“So tell me about Lawrence? Is he really good looking?” asked Fiona.

“I think he is handsome,” said Angie. “He has powerful broad shoulders and a tight little butt. Definitely kissable!”

“You like kissing boys butts do you Angie,” asked MJ.

“I was talking about the boy not the butt,” she said.

“Leslie was out on the porch with him for a while the second time. It least 15 minutes. We went to bed and left her to it,” said Carla.

“This is a little hard for me,” said Fiona. “He is still my brother and it’s going to take some getting used to. I knew he was going to start kissing someone someday but I didn’t expect it would be a boy.”

“We haven’t known Leslie as long as you have, but we try to say that Leslie used to be a boy, but she is a girl now,” said Carla. “We treat her as though she has always been a girl and she will have to get used to that kind of treatment.”

“That’s easy for you to say,” Fiona told the girl’s. “You didn’t know her as a boy. I believe that Dawn has told Barbara and my Mom and Dad already so there will be some interesting conversation when she gets home tomorrow.”

That was going to be stressful discussion when I got home tomorrow, but I didn’t have time to think about that now. I was just about ready now and I came out of my room fully dressed wearing a blouse with a spaghetti strap tank top underneath and a grey skirt a little above the knee.

“What’s that about?” said Leslie looking at my clothes.

“What’s up?” I asked.

“You can’t wear that skirt on stage sitting on a stool. People will see up you skirt. Why don’t you wear one of you dresses with leggings underneath.”

“Because I have worn them all this week. I could go put my jeans back on.”

“Go for it,” said Fiona.

Wearing jeans again it would have to be. I was hoping for a little relief from wearing jeans all day because they are not kind to my boy bits, but I couldn’t think of any other choice. I needed more clothing options.

I went back in my room to put my jeans on and I managed to hold-in all of my junk in place long enough to zip them up. While I was there I heard that someone was knocking on the front door. I guessed it would be Lawrence.

Fiona went down the stairs ahead of me with my guitar in hand while I went to find my other shoes and put my short denim jacket on.

“My my you look different again this evening Leslie, but very pretty all the same. Have you done something different with your hair?” said Lawrence to my sister as she walked down the stairs and took the guitar off her.

“Why thank you Lawrence that is a nice thing to say,” she said as she kissed him on the cheek and thanked him, “but that may have something to do with the fact that I am Fiona, Leslie’s sister”

I came down the stairs and Lawrence did a double take looking at us both in turn.

“Wow you both look amazing,” said Lawrence. “But how am I going to tell you apart?”

“That won’t be difficult once you know the differences,” said Fiona. “My hair is longer and straighter, Leslie’s eyebrows are a little lower and her chin is a little more pointed.

“Unbelievable,” he said. “You are so very similar to each other.”

“There are some other big difference,” said Fiona,” but we won’t go into those right now.”

I looked at Fiona with daggers. It was obvious she had a small attitude towards me right now.

Fiona got her guitar out of her car and Lawrence was more than happy to carry both guitars. We walked towards the Coffee Hutch and Fiona produced a piece of paper and gave it to me.

“I suppose you haven’t thought of a set list.” She was right. I had improvised my way through the first show but with two of us playing that would be a little more troublesome.

“Have you timed it,” I asked.

“Not with a stop watch, but I think I have it arranged it two halves of about 55 minutes each. Have a look at it and see if there is anything that you have a problem with.” I looked and didn’t see a problem.

I was watching Lawrence watch Fiona while we walked down the road. She was looking at me and he couldn’t take his eyes off her. I hope that if he is busy watching her then he won’t pay me any attention. We will see.

We got into the Coffee Hutch and the tables were mostly full. I saw Rebecca waving me over towards the back nearer the kitchen. The three of us went back with Lawrence carrying the guitars. We stowed them in the kitchen then sat down at our seats. Rebecca gave both Fiona and I brief hugs.

Rebecca had arranged 2 - 4 seater tables together for the group that so far included Lawrence, Connie, Caroline, Vic, Me, Fiona and Rebecca who had help serving tonight but may have to get up once in a while to help out.

In the beginning the conversation at the table was about how Fiona and I were so alike and we had to tell them the rules for how to tell the difference. Then Dylan came in from the kitchen because he had heard I was here. He was still wearing his kitchen apron and he had his hair tied back in a ball and was wearing a ball cap backwards.

He looked at me and Fiona and said, “I don’t know who to kiss.”

“You can kiss me if you want,” said Fiona. “You must be Dylan. I am Fiona.” He kissed her on both cheeks then I stood up and he kissed me too.

Just at that moment Hazel came walking in the door and headed straight of Dylan with a big smile on her face and gave him a big hug.

“Hazel my darling,” said Dylan. “How long has it been? It seems like forever since I last saw you?”

“It hasn’t been that long Dylan. I was still living here last April.”

“Missed you so much darling,” he said, “But I will have to talk to you later. I have meals to prepare.” And he disappeared back into the kitchen.

Hazen then started looking at me and Fiona. “OK,” she said. “Which one is the copy?”

I stood up. “I am the copy Hazel. This is my older sister; by a year, and my best friend, Fiona. We play and sing as a duo most of the time.” They shook hands.

“So cool,” she said. “I am so looking forward to hearing you. Do you have any room at your table? I came here on my own.”

“Well you can sit there next to Fiona because this seat next to me is for Rebecca.” I said.

She gave me a concerned look then decided to sit next to Fiona.

“Are you seeing Rebecca?” Hazel asked me.

I didn’t answer and I could tell by the look on Fiona’s face that she was shocked.

“To tell you the truth Hazel I believe that we have become good friends over the last few of days since we met but I can’t say we are seeing each other.”

I am sure that Fiona would be concerned by what she was hearing. Her brother, who happens to be cross-dressing at this moment, being involved in a possible lesbian relationship, sounds a bit off the wall, but that is potentially what is being spoken of.

While we were talking we ordered food and some drinks, just coke for me.

“You know that Rebecca and I had a relationship a couple of years ago Leslie,” said Hazel.

“Rebecca mentioned it, but I assume you have remained friends?” I asked.

“We broke-up for two reasons, mainly because of geography. Being separated by a 3 hour trip was not good for any relationship, but we believe our time had run its course. I don’t think either one of us was too upset by the split.”

“So how long since you saw each other, if you don’t mind me asking” I said.

“Spring of last year at graduation. After the graduation parties she left for New York and I haven’t seen each other hardly at all her since.”

I noticed she didn’t say that had not seen each other at all. She didn’t seem to upset about it but I was a little concerned. Rebecca and Hazel had a relationship the last time they were in college together, and now they are back in college together. Rebecca now lives in the apartment that Hazel used to live in and the 3 of us are involved in the dramatic society.

“What program are you taking,” asked Fiona of Hazel.

“I am in Business Administration, same course Rebecca was on. Rebecca and I met at the dramatic society. How about you?”

“I am taking Music in Philly so I don’t live here. I only came to play with Leslie. I have nearly an hour’s drive to get home before I get to my apartment,” said Fiona.

Rebecca came over and sat with us. She placed her hand on mine on my lap as she sat next to me. I think she may be claiming her territory and making clear her intentions.

“Nice to see you again Hazel,” she said like they were old friends. “I knew we would bump into each other sometime.”

Now this seemed strange to me. I may not have a lot of experience in these matters but if these two had a relationship for a year or so, haven’t spoken to each other for 15months, and now they sit at the same table together just acting cordially like nothing happened between them. I knew there was something odd about this relationship but I didn’t know what it was.

They were cordial towards each other but didn’t ask any questions about what each other had done or anything. There was no how ‘have you been’ or ‘what have you been doing.’ I made my mind up to ask Rebecca about it later.

We ate dinner, which was really good food. Not your normal bar food. I had a seafood marinara which was delicious. After we ate we went back to speak to Dylan for a couple of minutes. We told him about our set list. He told us he expected 2 hours that did not include a break so minimum 1 hour then 15 minute break then minimum 1 hour.

We did not have a problem with that because we knew plenty of songs and could just add one in anywhere. We knew plenty of Fleetwood Mac songs that were perfect for this type of occasion.

With about 20 minutes to go, Rebecca called me back to the kitchen. I didn’t know why but I was hoping it was for a glass of wine. I was not the only one at our table who wasn’t over 21 but those who were drinking were making me jealous.

I walked into the kitchen and I could see Dylan cooking with one of his staff, but they had their backs to us. Rebecca was holding a glass of red wine down on the bar with her and beckoning me over with the other. The area where she prepared the drinks was in a small alcove so people from the restaurant could not see us.

I was guessing the glass on wine was for and I said, “thank you my angel,” and reached for it. She didn’t let go. She put her hand around my waist, pulled me to her and kissed me on the lips.

My goodness she was delicious. She was a little taller than me so I was reaching up to her. My hand went around her waist and I rested myself against her. I was in heaven for a few moments.

We were disturbed by a male cough behind me. We broke off and stood apart. I didn’t recognize him but he asked to see Dylan. Rebecca went over to see Dylan.

I didn’t know if I should drink my wine in front of a stranger but I did anyway. He smiled at me but didn’t say anything. He was wearing a white denim shirt with embroidered patterns of parrots on it. He was tall and slim, drooping moustache , had long greying hair in a ponytail and dangling earrings. When Dylan came over the two of them greeted each other and hugged. Then they turned to me.

“Leslie,” said Dylan. “I want you to meet my friend Carl Lewis. Carl likes to keep up with the musical artists around because he occasionally has need of an act or two.”

We exchanged pleasantries and shook hands.

“Dylan said you have a very interesting voice and great presence under the lights and I am looking forward to hear you play,” said Carl.

“I feel honored.” I said. “This is really only our first show. Monday’s show was only me improvising.” Goodness was it only Monday when I did the first show. It seems like a lifetime away.

“Well whatever you call it, it was very enjoyable and I for one am looking forward to tonight,” said Dylan, “but it is time to get ready. Carl can you help them with set up and sound please? I have a couple of items to address in the kitchen.”

Rebecca reached over and grabbed my arm. “After the show remember!” she said. I nodded my head and smiled before I had to leave to start the show.

We picked up the guitars and went into the restaurant where I introduced Carl to Fiona and we headed for the front. The stools and microphones were set up so we did sound checks and tune ups and then sat playing the first part of ‘Never going back again’ by Fleetwood Mac.

We continued playing, finger picking our way through the song with the volume turned low but loud enough for everyone hear. We had arranged this with Carl who would turn it up to normal volume after Dylan’s introduction.

This playing actually worked as a warm up that we had forgot to plan into our schedule. A good artist always warms up before a show. Sometimes for hours. The audience got a little quite trying to listen to us playing then Dylan came to the stage and took the mic.

“Welcome everyone to Thursday at the Coffee Hutch. Tonight and every Thursday and Sunday for the next little while I am very glad to say you will find Leslie and Fiona playing here from 9 till around 11:15 or so.”

“Please welcome Leslie and Fiona.”

We continued picking our way through ‘Never going back again’ and Carl turned up the volume on the PA. The sound filled the room and sounded very clear. The sharpness of the tone on my Taylor contrasted nicely against the more mellow sounds from Fiona’s Yamaha.

We know that Lindsay Buckingham plays the entire song on his own on one guitar, but we don’t consider ourselves in the same league as Lindsey Buckingham so we play the song on two guitars. We think it sounds about the same.

I sang the lead vocal and Fiona joined in on the parts requiring harmony. I know it sounded good and when we finished we were rewarded with warm enthusiastic applause.

Fiona thanked everyone for the welcome. “Thanks everyone,” she said. “We are Fiona and Leslie Haigt. If you need to tell us apart just remember I am Fiona the good looking one.”

I pulled my tongue out at her and the audience laughed.

“Our second song is something we have practiced a lot and played publicly before at my University recital last spring. It is a modern rendition of a classical piece in a style made popular by Mike Oldfield. This is called In Dulci Jubilo.”

I didn’t really know if this would go down well but it was a fun piece for us to play. We only started playing it because it’s one of our Dad’s favorites. We got nice applause from it.

We continued into a few more popular song by people like the Dixie Chicks, Stevie Nicks, Sugarland, Lady Antebellum and finished the set with ‘If I die young’ by the Band Perry. It went down very well. We told everyone we would be back in 15 minutes and Dylan played some background music.

I decided I needed the little girl’s room and headed that way. Half way back Vic caught my arm to congratulate me on the music. He also wanted to tell me about his looper pedal which he said would have made some of our music easier to play and sound even more interesting. I said I would look forward to hearing it but I didn’t have time now or after the show. I excused myself and headed to the girl’s room.

When I got into the girl’s room I followed Fiona in. Both stalls were taken. She saw me behind her. She turned and said, “what are you doing in here?’

I opened my palms to her and shrugged. She rolled her eyes and looked way, putting her hands on her hips. I thought to myself ‘this can’t be a surprise.’ I can’t go in the men’s room. I thought she was on my side but maybe not all of the time. It did seem a little different to be in the woman’s washroom with my sister. Growing up I guess this was the only place we never went together.

After the girl’s room I went back to the kitchen to see if I could get a glass of wine with Rebecca. She wasn’t there but there was a full glass sitting there waiting for me, so I started to sip it.

While I was there I was surprised to hear Fiona starting to play without me. She said. “Forgive me sister. I am going to play one without you. She started to play and sing and I was amazed.

She played ‘Little black submarines’ by the Black Keys and it sounded beautiful.

Little black submarines Operator please Put me back on the line
Told my love I'd be back Operator please This is wrecking my mind
Oh, can it be The voices calling me They get lost and out of time
I should've seen it grow But everybody knows That a broken heart is blind
That a broken heart is blind
That a broken heart is blind

When she finished she said, “that was for my sister because I love her and I played that particular song just because it is my favorite song and not because my heart is broken or anything.”

That made up for the scene in the girl’s room. When I came back on stage I gave her a kiss on the cheek.

We played the rest of the set and everything went by like a flash. Big applause in many places especially at the end. Dylan would not allow an encore because he says neighbors complain after 11:30 and the police come out.

We unplugged, switched off and packed up while the staff, Dylan, his cook, Rebecca and the woman I had not met yet cleaned up the place. Didn’t take long.

Lawrence was waiting to take me back to the apartment but I asked him to take Fiona back to her car. Fiona hugged me.

“I am sorry for what I said earlier,’ she said quietly in my ear. Lawrence was sanding close be. “I am not exactly myself today.”

“That’s OK,” I said. “You made up for it with the song. It was beautiful.”

Lawrence picked up Fiona’s guitar and they disappeared outside. I went back to find my guitar. Everyone had left now and Rebecca was waiting there on her own.

“I guess I should leave,” I said. And she got the strangest look on her face.

“I am only kidding!” I said quickly. “I was joking.”

She looked at the floor and shook her head, then she lifted her head and held out her hand.

“Want to come up to my place?”

“Can’t wait,” I said.

---------------------

Little black submarines. Written by the black keys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZQqY8ImoM8

up
99 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Next?

I wish I could comment and tell you what happens, but I can't give the story away.
I do enjoy your comments though.

Massive great hugs.
Symphony

Like the progression of the story...

Leslie seems to have a lot of connections to keep track of. I was and still am looking forward to her trip home. The fact that Fiona loves Leslie, doesn't always mean they are at the same place I like that. Lawrence is back in the picture but will it be with Fiona or Leslie; will it make for any tension, if so with whom?
Looking forward to reading more.
Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Keeping track

I don't think Leslie keeps track of what is going on. She just stumbles from one situation to another without really planning anything. Sometimes I wonder how she ever makes it to class.

I have sisters and love them very much, when I can stand to be in the same room that is.

Massive huge hugs

Symphony

Its time

To tell her one way or another.
it looks to me like Lawrence may be shifting his focus.
Great chapter, thanks

It is time

Lawrence is sneaky. Just when you think you got rid of him you find him standing behind, wanting to be in the next chapter.
Massive big hugs
Thanks for all the comments
Symphony