Seren Dee Petty Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

Thanks everyone for being so kind about my first ever posting on BCTS, especially for the wonderful comments n PMs I think I’ve replied to y’all n I hope you like this second slice…. Take care my baby.

This crazy Friday was raising so many unanswered questions. Was this business running on child labour? How did Ms Wilson know his girl name when he’d only been given it less than an hour ago? Exactly who, or what, is the agency? Did he really have to come back tomorrow and if so, as Joseph or Seren?


Seren Dee Petty
by k-jo


Seren Dee Petty: Chapter 2

“Who is this pretty little thing? Pamela, you didn’t tell me you had two daughters …. what pretty name do you go by my dear?”

Immediately she saw Joseph’s lips beginning to form the shape of a J, Pam gushed the first girl’s name that came into her head. “Seren! This is my second daughter, Seren. Seren, this is Mr Stevens, hopefully he’s going to be my new boss.”

“Very pleased to meet you Seren,” said Brian as he gently shook Joseph’s hand. “Right, lets the three of us head up to the office and see if we can’t bring that about shall we?” And with that he strode purposely towards the entrance to the shopping mall, still holding Joseph’s shaking hand.

Joseph had no option but to totter in pursuit, taking three tiny steps to each of Brian’s strides, concentrating on placing one heeled foot in front of the other and not daring to glance over his shoulder at his mother. Who, he hoped, was following close.

Behind them, Pamela’s mind was flicking through a series of thoughts like automatic gear changes in an accelerating Mercedes. “Phew! Quick thinking there Pam, saved Joe from outing himself. (Click) kept alive the job interview, and good relations with Brian. (Click) office? Oh, Joe’ll just have to sit outside quietly, but who else might be in? (Click) well he should be able to fool them, his make-up’s really quite good and he’s doing well to keep up with Brian in those heels. (Click) you’ve dressed up before haven’t you Joseph? More than once! (Click) we’re going to have to have quite a chat when we get back to the house. (Click) oh my god, what are we going to do if I get this job?” (Vroom…)

By now they had reached the pedestrian exit from the car-park and Brian was tapping a code into the panel of a side-door, releasing Joe who turned to look his mother in the eye for the first time since she renamed him Seren. Pam shrugged and Joe gave a weak smile. He was still wrapped in the relief that blanketed his embarrassment when his mother’s quick thinking rescued him from being outed.

With all thoughts focussed on maintaining the illusion, Joe had not yet considered events beyond today. It was proving to be the most amazing Friday of his life. From the rare luxury of two hours home alone to experiment with make-up and outfits, and play out his fantasy of being a member of the Saturdays*. The shock and then fear at discovery by not only his mother, but his sister too. He certainly feared the consequences of little sis Sally holding this information. The guilty procession to the car, silent terror of a drive into anticipated humiliation and then his mother’s surprise collusion in the deceit of a stranger, and now? Now, Joseph was taking his first feminine steps in public. All his muscles were aquiver in fear and, perhaps, just a tinge of excitement.

“So, Seren,” said Brian, holding his briefcase in one hand and the side-door open with the other, in such a way that his arm created an arch for Pam to walk under. “Are you going to trawl the mall while your mother and I get down to business?”

“No!” Pam blurted. Softening immediately into a smile as she realised her interjection was both too fast and too harsh. “She’s forgotten her purse. Again! I’m not going to bale her out this time and anyway, I think it would affect my concentration in the interview if I was worrying about her being in the mall all on her own.”

Pam’s self-congratulatory feelings, on getting a complete set of correct pro-nouns despite the potential confusion of the situation, were quickly dissipated by Brian’s reply. “No problem. Hopefully Mary will be upstairs to keep her company and I did hear there might be a couple of temps coming in later.”

Joe’s heart quickened as he realised he was going to be under even more scrutiny rather than just hiding in a corner. While Pamela worried that, not only was the cat out of the bag, she was beginning to have kittens. Pam could only hope that they didn’t get fed well enough to mature into tigers and come back and bite them.

Entering beneath Brian’s arch, Joseph didn’t come close to needing to duck and climbed the stairs ahead of the two adults. Pamela again noting his proficiency in heels, that tapped their way to the top, where Brian tapped in another code and the trio entered a colourful and comfortably furnished reception area, mercifully devoid of all life forms.

“Oh! I expected Mary to still be here,” said Brian. “No matter, make yourself comfortable Seren. Pam, you know where the boardroom is. I’ll grab a couple of cups of coffee, Mary’s sure to have left a pot, black no sugar isn’t it, and what about Seren?”

“You remembered correctly, I’m impressed. Just a little water for Seren, please, I don’t think she’s old enough for coffee,” called Pam as Brian disappeared around a corner. Joseph slumped into one of the welcoming sofas, hard, like the boy he is. But surprisingly, sweeping the short skirt of the flowered green dress beneath him with both hands, like the girl he appeared to be.

Pam leaned down and whispered fiercely in his ear. ”We’re nearly through this, so just behave yourself and do exactly as you are told. Do you hear me?”

“Yes mum.”

“To the letter!”

“Yes mum.”

“And put your knees together, the world doesn’t need to see your panties and I certainly don’t.”

Joe immediately clamped his thighs and blushed. Partly in embarrassment of flashing his panties and partly because his mum knew he was wearing them. Actually, Pamela hadn’t known her son was wearing panties. But she did now and she wasn’t sure if that knowledge made her more, or less, troubled.

Pam intercepted Brian to pass Seren her water, then followed him back down the corridor, turning right into the boardroom as Brian turned left to collect their coffee. Pausing on his return, Brian winked to Seren: “I’ll try not to keep her too long,” before also disappearing into the boardroom, clicking the door firmly closed behind him.

Joseph took a sip of water, picked up a fashion magazine from the small table next to the white leather sofa he was sitting in and released a huge sigh as tension, tight as a watch spring, began to unwind in his stomach.

Reception remained quiet save for the rustle of each turn of a magazine page, the occasional muffled laughter of his mother escaping from the boardroom and a sharp, three-word question in the voice of a middle-aged woman. “Are you Seren?”

Startled, Joseph looked up at a very stern Auntie-type, except better dressed and immaculately made-up, wearing an expression demanding an immediate answer. At Joseph’s weak nod and whispered “Yes,” the stern face gave way to a wide smile of gratitude.

“Oh thank goodness! The agency did promise you’d be here but, to be honest, I was beginning to doubt it. Right then! Chop, chop! Follow me and let’s get you started. Make sure you close the door behind you and be careful coming down the stairs, they’re a bit steep for those heels.”

The orders came fast and rhythmical, the last issued as the woman slipped through a door in the wall behind the reception desk. For once, despite his confusion, Joseph knew how to respond. It was, after all, just minutes since he’d received the clearest of instructions. “Do exactly as you are told. To the letter!”

Hanging firmly on to the handrail and watching to keep his feet at a 45 degree angle to the tread, it was not until Joseph had tip-toed to the bottom of the narrow wooden staircase that he noticed he was now in a large storage area. Littered with piles of long, flat cardboard boxes, empty clothes rails and the fifth person ever, to see him dressed as a girl.

“Julie, this is Seren from the agency. Seren, this is Julie, who is going to be helping you. I’m Mary Wilson, the shop manager, but you will call me Ms Wilson. Here, put these on,” instructed Ms Wilson as she handed Joseph a pair of small, white cotton gloves that fitted fairly snugly.

The youngsters barely had time to smile and say “Hi,” to each other before Ms Wilson was off again. “Right, let’s get started then shall we? The more we can get done tonight, the less we will have to finish off in the morning.”

This crazy Friday was raising so many unanswered questions poor Joseph didn’t know which to deal with first. Julia looked like she might be younger than his sister, was this business running on child labour? How did Ms Wilson know his girl name when he’d only been given it less than an hour ago? Exactly who, or what, is the agency? Did he really have to come back tomorrow and if so, as Joseph or Seren?

But all questions had to be put aside for now as Joseph turned his full attention to Ms Wilson’s instructions and, following her orders to the letter, set to the task in hand. The piles of boxes littering the storage area represented Steven’s Fashions new stock, delivered days later than promised, but just in time for the school holiday. Each of the flat cardboard boxes contained ten dresses of the same style, but not necessarily the same size or colour.

The girls, as Ms Wilson referred to Julie and Joseph, were each to work from their own box, slip one dress at a time onto a hanger, check the dress-size on the label and click a corresponding number onto the hanger. Each dress was then to be hung on a rail, next to those of the same style and colour and placed in order, according to size.

Julie already had an open box in front of her and was lifting out her first dress. Joseph took time opening his first box, positioning it between himself and Julie, so he could get a good look at what she was doing. Julie was wearing jeans and trainers but instead of bending over, she still bent at the knee, crouching to lift out the dress and keeping her legs together through the whole move.

Joseph then did his best to copy her poise, grace and fluidity, immediately realising that even though his dress was short, this technique would keep his panties covered. He was nowhere near as poised as Julie, especially not at first. But given he was not wearing trainers, but two inch heels, and that he was operating under the watchful eye of Ms Wilson, he did ok for a young girl, and absolutely brilliantly for a boy.

He couldn’t match Julie for speed though, even given her head start Julie was opening her third box before Joseph was half-way through his second. He also noted that while Ms Wilson watched him closely and every so often double-checked that the size labels on dresses he’d put on the rail, matched the coloured number he’d clipped to the hanger, she made no such checks of Julie’s work.

“She’s obviously an old-hand at this,” thought Joseph, and was again confused by Julie’s apparent young age. He was delighted however, that for all Ms Wilson’s checking, she found nothing untoward. Yes, he wobbled on his heels sometimes as he straightened up from his crouch, dress in-hand. But he was taking care not to let the dresses touch the dirty floor, was moving slowly and deliberately so as not to step on them as he turned to the rails and was proving to have a good eye for colour and style. Easily picking out even subtle differences in hue and design, to place dresses in exactly the right position on the rails.

Ms Wilson didn’t let on for a moment how pleased she was. Girls from the agency had been a pretty mixed bunch over the years, but Seren might just be one of the best. Julie could tell she was pleased though, as before Joseph had even finished sorting his third box of dresses, Ms Wilson announced that she would: “Leave them to it for a few minutes,” and carefully tip-tapped her way up the stairs.

“My, you’ve made a good impression,” said Julie, immediately the reception area door clicked shut behind the exiting Ms Wilson. “She usually stands over agency girls for at least the first two days and almost never leaves them alone with new stock.”

“You think?” answered Joseph, grinning. “I am concentrating very hard, trying to make sure I get everything right and especially don’t do any damage to these wonderful new dresses.”

“Believe me, Mary’s impressed, and so she should be. You can’t imagine how rough some of the girls can be with the stock and how mixed up they get with which dress goes where. I’ve been watching you and you might even have a quicker eye than me in spotting little design quirks or detail changes that separate one set of dresses from another.”

“Thanks Julie, but I think you’re just being nice. I mean, how can you be watching me and yet still get through your boxes so quickly? You do three dresses to every two of mine.”

“Of course I’m quicker, I’ve been doing this since I was tall enough to reach the rail.”

“But you’re only a little girl.”

“And you’re not, pretty little princess? You might have fooled the agency and you might have fooled a hassled Ms Wilson who was in desperate need of an agency girl. But you don’t fool me, I’ve been watching you very closely and I’ve worked out your little secret.”

Joseph froze, holding in front of him a beautiful lilac party gown, in just the right size. If he was standing in front of a mirror, his reflection would be jumping up and down, screaming: “Buy it!” But he was standing in front of Julie and she was staring him straight in the eye and sporting the wickedest of smiles. Joe felt the heat of his rising blush, beginning at the top of his sternum, racing up his neck, hiding beneath his make-up and then popping out on both ears at the same time, rushing to a pulsing red at their tips. He tried to swallow but his mouth was dry and instead he croaked. “What do you mean?”

“Like I said, I’ve been watching you closely. Real close. Ok the outfit’s perfect and the make-up’s done pretty well, but it’s way too thick and that foundation is for oldies. Bet it’s your mum’s. That lipstick shade is from last year, those eyelashes are too long and beautiful to be anything other than false and what teenage girl is gonna be wearing false eyelashes to work. And you’re doing pretty well on those heels, but I saw you wobble more than once when you were picking up dresses. So come on Seren, just admit it.”

“Admit what?” whispered Joseph, feeling the first prickle of an embryonic tear.


* The Saturdays - Very girly UK girlband producing pre-teenpop and known for short skirts, high heels n bright coloured pantyhose.
All episodes of this story, its title and characters are copyright of the author

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh...

Andrea Lena's picture

...what a 30 to 40 denier semi-opaque web we weave when first Mom desperate to keep her job practices to deceive? Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Tight spot

Oh Andrea, were it but possible to weave pantyhose from spiderthread x k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

Seren Dee Petty Chapter 2

Was Seren mistaken or another girl? If not did her mother set up the job?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

so many questions

Stanman Sir, as Joseph is discovering sometimes there are so many questions you don't know where to start ;) k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

What serendipity!

From dictionary.com:

ser·en·dip·i·ty   
noun
1. an aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident.
2. good fortune; luck: the serendipity of getting the first job she applied for.

Looks like Joseph is also going to get a new job.

But, of course, it could turn bad if the real Seren shows up.

Does Pam's friend Isla work for the agency? And is that why she was telling Pam about Seren's name in the beginning? I assume the agency is a modelling agency.

--Brandon Young

Chance is a fine thing

Sir, really appreciate your interest n well done on being second to spot the title - well second to say so anyway - well right now Joseph has a job sorting dresses do you think there is a real Seren n if so wots she like I don't think we know yet where or even if Isla works but yes she got that name from somewhere if only Pam had been listenin to the story but i doubt modelling agencies send their girls to sort dresses ;) k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

Try . . .

A temp agency, like Kelly (formerly known as Kelly Girl). Short-term staffing solutions when companies are short-handed, like around holidays and such. Some companies use them as hiring pools. The temp agency does all the expense of prescreening the workers, then the company offers full-time employment to the good ones (the ones who can tie their own shoes without help).


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Try too

Don't know Kelly Girl but you're pretty much on the mark Ms J except um although I try real hard um have to confess to havin trouble with laces ;( k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

How far will Joseph's seren dee petty take him/her?

Hopefully a short time and many chapters will answer this question. Will Seren and her mother be working together? If so in what capacity? Seren was not exactly dressed for her current assignment. Will her poise under fire so to speak open doors to other duties? Great story so far!

_Bev_

Not exactly dressed

Thank you Ma'am pleased you're likin it agree Seren not appropriately dressed for the job unlike Julie n again so many questions to answer folks are comin up with queeries I aint even thought of so don't expect me to have all the answers but maybe Pam will have k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

“Admit what?"

Will he come clean? What will she do?

DogSig.png

Coming clean

Indeed Ms Colleen n what is the price of admittance? hugs k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

Never confirm...

S.L.Hawke's picture

Speaking as someone who transitioned a long time ago, and has lived stealth for many years... I am always amused when I see or hear of someone just starting out, who is in a hurry to "confess" when someone suspects.

Never confirm their suspicions. Period.

Well, at least not if there is any shadow of doubt in their eyes. A "soft clock", rather than a hard read. Pretending ignorance when someone is utterly certain just makes you look stupid... but if there is any hint of uncertainty at all -- go for the bluff.

Shrug. I have been told by the few trans-folk that have met me in person that I am fairly extremely passable... but this is no longer the eighties, and the average Joe on the street is a lot more "trans-aware" these days than they were when I was starting out. Which is to say that even I have been soft clocked on occasion... although such occasions are typically a great many years apart...

Shrug, again. When it happens, when someone soft clocks me... I can usually read their body language well enough to know they were not really as certain as their words might indicate -- on the extremely rare occasions when such a soft clock results in their daring to say anything. And so I pretend not to notice their suspicion... play the blonde, and "misunderstand" their verbal jabs... and with each failure of mine to confess, their uncertainty grows. Within a short time (minutes for complete strangers in short interactions, a few weeks to a month for the one closer associate who soft clocked me at medical school), they have pretty much convinced themselves that they must have been mistaken... particularly when no one else around us gives any sign of seeing me as other than a woman.

The young woman in my classes, for example, gave me the occasional funny look for the first week... but did not feel confident enough of herself to risk making herself look foolish in front of her classmates by saying anything. And the more time went on... the longer none of the instructors or anyone else seemed to notice anything... the more I could see the self-doubt grow in her eyes. After the first week, such funny looks grew far less frequent... as if she had mostly forgotten her suspicions, and mostly accepted me at face value. By a month into our classes, such moments of memory had disappeared entirely... and I was just one of the girls, even to her.

All of which is to say, I hope Seren is bold enough to stick with her bluff. If she does, given her young age (11 months older than her "almost 13" sister... which makes her 13, approaching 14...), the gender differences are frequently minimal enough at that age that Seren should easily be able to pull off stealth -- even with her lack of experience. All she has to do is resist the temptation to out herself.

Smile. But that is mostly beside the point. Unless I miss my guess, I am betting that Julie hasn't actually clocked Seren at all. "The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion." [Proverbs 28:1... I think -- I am not a Christian, even if I can quote some Christian sayings...]. Why do I have a sneaky suspicion that k-jo is setting us up... and Julie has actually spotted Seren's *age* (underage for legal employment at a temp agency), and not Seren's *gender*?

Grin. Seren just has to be a lion... or lioness, as the case may be...

Hawkeye

Age is an interesting point well made Ms Hawke but you have to remember the way children present ages and Sally's 'almost 13' means she is simply at least one day older than 12yrs 6mths putting Seren at a minimum age of 13yrs 5mths and a maximum of 13yrs 10mths both indeed below the minimum age for a temp agency although somewhat older than Julie who has worked 'since she was tall enough to reach the rail.'

As for being clocked, some years ago I had just taken my seat on a tubetrain in London when a chap diagonally opposite turned to his colleagues n said: "Don't look now but a tranny's just got on the train!" I held my position for a few seconds of thought n then stood turned and stepped off the train just before the doors closed. I have no idea what gave me away, in those days I was used to passing no problem and skitted about London in full girl mode with no thought of being read, I just went along in the mainstream with no idea there was any such thing as a TG community. On that occasion I was headed into Soho for a night of cocktails n was dressed in 4" black courts, thin black vertically ribbed stockings with red n black suspenders, black cord miniskirt, bright yellow fuzzy turtleneck, plum nails n lipstick, forest green mascara n green/brown/pearl eyeshadow, dark green kohl eyeliner, patent black leather purse. My make-up was colourful for a night on the town but light n subtle n very well applied in a less is more technique.

It turned out Mr Mouth had done me a favour because as I twirled on the platform to see when the next train was due I realised I was at the right station but on the wrong line and had to go down another level to the Picadilly Line so he saved me from a long and tedious detour. During a wonderful evening I was hit on by plenty of lovely girls n guys so although the incident has remained crystal in my memory it never dented my confidence. k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

Nice K-jo!

You've followed up the first chapter with another Gem! Very well written, I'm impressed. Seren seems, I think, to obscure a name to be a coincidence. So someone is orchestrating this not so chance encounter. Julie wants Seren to come clean, but I don't think she suspects that she's a boy, but rather something else (like maybe older than she appears or something).I'd say this one was another Ton-80, Soo.... I hope you've started writing chapter #3. (Hugs) Taarpa
P.S. no baseball! (Giggles)

Darts

You chuckin darts at me again Ms Taarpa n I think you're a bit mixed up Gem is Bailey's baby but delighted to have impressed you as I know that's a tall order Seren's not so obscure in some parts of the world you know though you're not the first to think there's some greater power orchestratin life the universe n everythin while others prefer to believe in Walpole n you're a pretty inteligent girl gettin close to the mark but not quite hittin the bull please keep gigglin n hope to claim those hugs one day x k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

Great second chapter.

Just as good as the first. Oh so many questions to be answered and asked. We are definitely on our way and where you go I'll follow. Just slow down these heels are kinda high and I don't wanna break anything. Luv and laughs girlfriend, Jenn.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Breakin

Well breakin into a stride's ok Jenn C so get those hips swingin n keep up girl felt real pressure after all the great comments on Ch1 so relieved Ch2 is not bein burried beneath a hail of bricks xx k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

Great chapter

Another great chapter now to see what happens next, and what is happening with his mom and Mr. Stevens when they come out to find him/her missing from where they left Seren. We will be waiting for the next chapter.

Keep up the good work
Randi

Randi

Keepie uppie

Thanks Randi I'll certainly try but have to admit findin it hard to keep up writin fiction to a standard bloggin n readin specially since there's bin a flurry of updates to my favourite stories in the last few days I'm startin to get a bit Kylie y'know all behind n yeah you're on the nail re Mrs Petty n Mr Steven's I can't wait to find out what happens either k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

Very good story!!

Pamreed's picture

The only question is whether Seren Is dressing for pleasure or because she sees
herself as a girl!! So is she a crossdresser or a transsexual? Only time will
tell! I think Julie is thinking something different from Seren.

Pamela

"how many cares one loses when one decides not to be
something, but someone" Coco Chanel

Important

Thanks Pamela, obviously not the only question but certainly one of the most important n you may be right about Julie but I wonder what your opinion is of your namesake, Seren's mother? k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

Well I like her name!!

Pamreed's picture

But I don't know enough to make a decision right now!!

Pamela

"So I’ve been a boy and I’ve been a girl and, trust me, being a girl is better"

Decisions

One of the prettiest names I know n Mrs Pamela Petty has more decisions to come but does she know enough to make them right? k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

Excellent second chapter

nikkiparksy's picture

Excellent second chapter wondering if isla is a clairvoyant and can read the future:) seren is doing really well to pass muster 1st time in front of female's and not get outed so take it she is going to be transsexual in the 1st degree .
Lovely story looking forward to more:).

Passing Mustard

Hi Nikki, I don't know Isla very well yet so not able to answer that, if only Pam had been listening when Isla told her Seren story then I guess we would all be a little more in the picture. Agree Seren is doing very well to pass mustard but although this is her first time in front of anyone it is far from the first time she has dressed. At this stage I don't think Seren has much idea of what a transsexual is let alone where she may be along the the TG rainbow, but I'm looking forward to finding out x k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me