Gadgeteer Rising Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

What happens when your eleven years old, told your a gadgeteer and that your going to be a girl. How would you deal with it? This is the story of Alex becoming who he/she will be. I hope you enjoy my first attempt at writing in public.This is a Whateley Academy Fanfic. I mean the greatest respect to those that inspired me to bring my writing to light.

Chapter 1
I had always been good with electronic devices and mechanical ones. When I was younger everyone made fun of me or left me alone because I had an affinity with the machines that they were barely able to program or use. I don't know why my mother left but I don't remember her at all, and dad well he was a right bastard. When he found out what I believed I was a girl, female. Well that’s when the beatings started, When ever I didn’t act man enough for him I got hit with what ever was handy. Be it a foot, a fist, or a household item. Finally when I was eleven years old the law became involved and I was placed in a foster home. That’s when the weird stuff started to happen.
I began to feel like I had a summer cold; you know slight fever and a stuffy nose, but enough to make ya feel like crap but not enough to put you out of commission. “God damn it”, I swore “this sucks, It summer and I am stuck inside nursing this stupid cold” Man I was pissed as any eleven year old could be at that age. “Hey, why don’t you try focusing on fixing this DVD player?” Annie said with a smirk. I grinned “You just wanna watch your movie again.” Annie shook her head as a smile crept on to her face. “Get to work kiddo, and I’ll get us some chocolate milk.” I went back to examining the DVD players’ guts. With in thirty seconds I knew what the problem was and almost had it fixed, just as Annie came back with our drinks. She did what I think was a double take and put the back of her hand on my forehead. “Hun, you look worse then you did five minutes ago.” Annie had a knack for understatement and I giggled a bit. “Yea just a bit Annie”, I quipped “your bedside manner has always astounded me.” This drew a good laugh from her as I sagged back into bed. “I need you to get a few parts from the electronics store and this thing will be better then new.” I was proud of myself, if I did this right and I almost always did, The DVD player would last for twenty years no maintenance. “Annie, I’m going to finish this chocolate milk then I’m going back to bed.” She looked at me and just nodded. “You look like you could use the rest.” She agreed. “Should I come get ya when we’re all ready for dinner?” I shrugged rolled over and pulled the covers up to my chin and threw a pillow over my head.

When I woke up I was in the garage with a wrench in one hand and an acetylene torch in the other. Annie was screaming “Alex, Wake up hun! I know you’re in there.” I started to look around and realized that the garage looked like a tornado had ripped through it. Bits of sheet metal, tools, and gutted household appliances were everywhere. In the center of all this was what appeared to be a reject robot from that space movie I saw way back when. “I…. I did this?” I asked Annie turning slowly toward her and watched in horror as she nodded “Yea, you did. It freaked me out when you came down stairs and just started taking stuff into the garage.” I started shaking and collapsed on the floor. The last thing I saw was Annie running over to me and screaming for Ben.

To Be Continued

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A new serial with potential!

This is an interesting concept, and has potential. I have already added it to my favorites so I can keep up with the progress.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Try it like this - it's easier to read

What happens when you’re twelve, told your a gadgeteer and that you’re going to be a girl?
How would you deal with it?
This is the story of Alex becoming who he/she will be.
I hope you enjoy my first attempt at writing in public.
This is a Whateley Academy Fanfic. I mean the greatest respect to those that inspired me to bring my writing to light.

Chapter 1

I had always been good with both electronic devices and mechanical ones. When I was younger everyone made fun of me or left me alone because I had an affinity with the machines that they were barely able to program or use.

I don't know why my mother left, I don't remember her at all and dad? Well, he was a right bastard. When he found out what I believed, that I was a girl, female, well that’s when the beatings started. When ever I didn’t act man enough for him, I got hit with what ever was handy. Be it a foot, a fist or a household item. Finally, when I was eleven years old, the law became involved and I was placed in a foster home. That’s when the weird stuff started to happen.

I began to feel like I had a summer cold; you know slight fever and a stuffy nose but enough to make ya feel like crap but not enough to put you out of commission.

“God damn it”, I swore, “this sucks, it’s summer and I am stuck inside nursing this stupid cold”

Man I was pissed, as any eleven year old could be at that age. “Hey, why don’t you try focusing on fixing this DVD player?” Annie said with a smirk.

I grinned, “You just wanna watch your movie again.” Annie shook her head as a smile crept on to her face. “Get to work kiddo, and I’ll get us some chocolate milk.”

I went back to examining the DVD players’ guts. Within thirty seconds I knew what the problem was and almost had it fixed, just as Annie came back with our drinks. She did what I think was a double take and put the back of her hand on my forehead.

“Hun, you look worse then you did five minutes ago.” Annie had a knack for understatement and I giggled a bit.

“Yea just a bit Annie”, I quipped, “your bedside manner has always astounded me.” This drew a good laugh from her as I sagged back into bed. “I need you to get a few parts from the electronics store and this thing will be better then new.”

I was proud of myself, if I did this right and I almost always did, The DVD player would last for twenty years with no maintenance.

“Annie, I’m going to finish this chocolate milk then I’m going back to bed.” She looked at me and just nodded.

“You look like you could use the rest.” She agreed. “Should I come get ya when we’re all ready for dinner?” I shrugged rolled over, pulled the covers up to my chin and threw a pillow over my head.

When I woke up I was in the garage with a wrench in one hand and an acetylene torch in the other.

Annie was screaming “Alex, Wake up hun! I know you’re in there.” I started to look around and realized that the garage looked like a tornado had ripped through it. Bits of sheet metal, tools and gutted household appliances were everywhere. In the center of all this was what appeared to be a reject robot from that space movie I saw way back when.

“I…. I did this?” I asked Annie turning slowly toward her and watched in horror as she nodded

“Yea, you did. It freaked me out when you came down stairs and just started taking stuff into the garage.” I started shaking and collapsed on the floor. The last thing I saw was Annie running over to me and screaming for Ben.

*You're

That's a lot of typos in your title.

Typos

Leigh Veritas's picture

Hehehe that's cause i use MS Word the Title and the Fanfic part was at the last second to posting. I was nervous and just trying to get it up. Responses are welcome and I will try to make it more easily readable. Sorry for the typos and all.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
Mark Twain.

Leigh Veritas

Gadgeteer Rising Chapter 1

Like the story and waiting for more.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Who are they?

Like the idea, it's a wee bitty too short to get any real sense of the story yet but I quite like what I have seen so far, one thing that bugs me though - who are Annie and Ben? Are they Alex's foster parents or are they his foster parent's kids or are they just friends? It isn't very clear.

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

Darn it.

I haven't read any Whatley in three years. You've awoken that nerd OCD in me that says now go back and read all the Whatley stuff that exists, NOW! Great start. Smiles, Jenn.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair