Odyssey III Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 9

The next day the seven friends were anxious to see Sam. Even when pressed Krista refused to tell them what had happened during her confrontation with Sam. They all suspected that Sam might be suffering from gender dysphoria, but had no proof. All they knew for sure was that Sam had left the school with her parents. Krista merely told the others that Sam would have to tell them what had happened. While not satisfied with that answer, they didn’t doubt that Krista was correct in her reasoning.

They were the only ones in the school who were not surprised to see a smile on Sam’s face when he entered their homeroom. Sam smiled and nodded to Krista and the others. Most of the other kids were whispering amongst themselves. Most had seen Sam flee the lunch room with Krista in close pursuit. They’d noted Sam acknowledging Krista so obviously she had somehow gotten through to Sam. The morose tomboy seemed to have disappeared. In her place was a tomboy who was more like the Sam they had known in elementary school. Everyone looked at Krista knowing she had been instrumental in Sam’s turnabout.

At lunch Sam surprised everyone by joining the Clan Wells Point teens. “Hi,” Sam greeted them as he sat down beside Krista.

“I haven’t told them anything,” Krista smiled at Sam. “It wasn’t my place to do so. But if you don’t tell them they may just beat it out of you.”

Sam chuckled knowing that Krista was joking. Then she nervously glanced around to see if anyone other than this select group was close enough to hear her speak. Then she took a deep breath to steel herself and leaned forward as did the others. “My parents and I went to see Dr. Sykes yesterday. I’m transsexual just like Krista and Jenny. Well, not exactly like them, in fact exactly opposite of them.”

“That makes sense,” Tony smiled. “Sam, we missed you. If you’ll have us, we’d like to be your friends again.”

“It doesn’t matter to you that I’m... like this?” Sam asked as hope filled his heart.

“Why should it?” Tony asked. “After all, my girlfriend is a transsexual too. I’m not saying I understand being transsexual, but I can accept it because I know it’s true. Krista is all girl and Sam, I have no doubt that you’re all boy.” With that he extended his hand in friendship.

Sam didn’t hesitate and grasped Tony’s hand. In moments he had shaken the hands of the other three guys.

“Don’t you dare try shaking hands with us,” Jasmine stated firmly as she stood and walked over to Sam. “Girls hug their friends even if they are boys.” With that she gave Sam a quick but warm hug.

Krista reached over and also gave Sam a welcoming hug.

Jenny was still reluctant to express her girlhood with someone she really just met. It was clear she wanted to hug Sam but was afraid, especially since nearly everyone the cafeteria was keeping an eye on them.

Sam understood and smiled at Jenny while nodding his head. Jenny responded likewise.

After that the conversation turned to other matters. Sam had missed his friends and was eager to learn the details of what had been happening in their lives. The three girls sat and smiled, listening, as the five guys swapped their tales.

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday after school Sam headed directly to Dr. Sykes office. There he underwent a most thorough physical before beginning the psychological tests. Embarrassed at first, the staff made him feel welcome and treated him as the boy he felt himself to be.

For the most part life in the Clan Wells Point settled into a normal routine or at least as normal as things got in the Clan. Sam became a steady in-school member of the Clan Wells Point teens. Everyone was amazed at how open and friendly Sam had become and while they didn’t know the reason they knew it was definitely connected to the Clan teens. As for Jenny, she slipped easily into school and Clan life. Each evening after the band practiced in the studio at the main farm, Jaz and Jenny headed down Johns Cove Lane to their homes. Despite the chilly January nights, Jenny played her sax as she and Jaz walked. The mellow sound of her sax could be heard wafting above the waters of Johns Cove and echoing across Wells Point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-TgKlWUuhM Like nearly everyone who heard Jenny play, they marveled at her skill. Of course, everyone in the Clan Wells Point understood Jenny’s skilled playing was the direct result of the emotional turmoil that had ruled her life in the past. The forlorn youngster had poured all the angst, anger and frustration of her existence into playing the blues on the sax.

Saturday morning, Gilligan, Mary Ann and Sam sat in Dr. Sykes office to get the results of all the tests. Needless to say they were all anxious.

“The tests have all come back,” Dr. Sykes smiled. “There are no surprises. First of all, and please Sam, don’t be offended by this, but physically, you are a normal twelve year old girl. Mentally, Sam is fairly normal twelve year-old boy. It is not possible to change a person’s mind from male to female or vice versa, the only option is to change the physical body to match the mind. Sam, if your parents agree, I’m ready to start you on a program of medications to stop you female puberty. Since you’re not too far along, there is a good possibility the female development you’ve already experienced will reverse itself a bit. The changes will not completely disappear but they should lessen. I’ll be keeping a very close eye on you for the next six months. If at that time, you and your family are comfortable with you being a boy, we should be able to start you on a low dosage testosterone program. That will start you into puberty as a boy and will further diminish any remaining female characteristics. Mr. and Mrs. Evans, if you don’t have any objections to stopping Sam’s female puberty, please sign these forms while I prepare her first injections.”

A half-hour later Sam proudly swaggered out of the office in front of his parents, ignoring the discomfort of the injection in his butt. Mary Ann and Gilligan could hardly believe the change in Sam. The morose child they’d been fretting about for the last several months was gone, as was their daughter. Of course they now fully realized they had never really had a daughter. They were still adjusting to the change. But their son was definitely happy, a very marked improvement and one they would quite willingly live with.

Saturday morning was also busy for the Clan. Trucks from the construction business pulled up in front of the Harper, Abott and Delp homes to load the furnishings to take them out to the home on the Clan’s property. Nearly everyone was on hand to help and the trucks were loaded in just over an hour. One by one the trucks backed up to the house and began offloading. The furniture was taken to the appropriate location and set up. By noon everything was in place. The kitchen, while a hodgepodge of dishes and cookware, was warm and quite livable. The pantry and refrigerator and freezer were also well-stocked.

That evening for supper the main farmhouse was crowded. Sam and his parents joined the Clan for the evening meal. The teens and youngsters ate in the kitchen to make room for the adults in the dining room. Sam was thrilled to be with his friends, the friends he felt had saved his life. Gilligan and Mary Ann were pleasantly surprised by the camaraderie of the Clan and their open welcome.

Gilligan could see the question in everyone’s eyes. However, the Clan was polite enough not to ask. Long familiar with the unasked question, Gilligan smiled and stood. “I know everyone is curious and I understand why. First you need to understand that my parents have an extremely warped sense of humor. When they were teenagers, their favorite show was Gilligan’s Island. Although they deny it, I honestly think they were smoking pot when they named me. Believe me, it wasn’t easy growing up with the other kids calling me ‘little buddy.’ However, being named Gilligan has been a blessing for me. As a gag, some of my high school friends set me up on a blind date with a girl named Mary Ann.” With that he looked to his smiling wife.

“I thought they were trying to make a fool of me when we first met,” Mary Ann smiled.

“Mary Ann, meet Gilligan. Gilligan, meet Mary Ann.”

“God I was humiliated when everyone started laughing,” Mary Ann said. “That is until Gilligan took my hand.”

“‘Let’s loose these jackals’, I told her,” Gilligan chuckled. “We stormed off leaving them howling.”

“Don’t go on any three hour tours!”

“It turned out we clicked,” Mary Ann smiled. “We never dated anyone else.”

“Naturally, with our names, we just HAD to start a Charter Boat business,” Gilligan smiled. “Mary Ann refused to let me name the boat the SS Minnow. We finally settled on ‘Coconut Island’ since that was the name of the island pictured on the opening scenes of the show. It’s located in Kāane'ohe Bay, Oahu, Hawaii.”

Everyone chuckled at the saga of Gilligan and Mary Ann. Sam winced.

Once Frank learned that Gilligan was the captain of a charter fishing boat, his eyes lit up. “If I’m not being too nosy, do you own your boat?”

“Yes and no,” Gilligan answered. “It’s mine as long as I keep up the payments. Unfortunately the way the economy is going that may be difficult to do. It takes an average of two charters a week to pay for the upkeep on the boat. I need three more charters each week to make the payments. Anything after those five are what we live on. To be honest right now if it wouldn’t be for Mary Ann’s income we’d be broke. But even with her income we barely have enough to make mortgage payments on the house and feed ourselves.”

Stephen smiled sadly and nodded his head. “Do you have enough equity in your home to pay off your boat?”

“Yeah,” Gilligan snorted. “But we can’t live on the boat and there’s no way we could afford to rent.”

“Well, there may be another option,” Stephen stated. “I just got wind that some properties nearby either are or may become available. I’ve already contacted the present owners and have bid on one and made arrangements to speak with the other. By selling privately we’d both save money on realtors fees. We may be able to provide you with a place to live with a dock where you can keep your boat. That would save you marina fees.”

“I appreciate the offer,” Gilligan stated. “However, I think the fuel I’d use to get around to St. Michael’s and back here would eat up any savings on marina fees.”

“Well I might have an answer for you there,” Robert chuckled. “I’ve been approached by the St. Michael’s planning commission to put in a bid to extend the dock off W. Chew St. It’s just two blocks off of S. Talbot St. That’s just six blocks from the main marina. There is only one small launch ramp for the entire marina. They’re talking about adding a double launch ramp and adding eighty feet to the dock with a ‘T’ thirty feet long at the tip. The extension would come off the existing dock at a forty five degree angle to the Southwest. If I win the bid, I can make sure that I have a reserved space rented at half the going rate on one end of the existing ‘T’ before the new portion of the dock for the Clan Wells Point. I’ll put that condition in the bid and contract. I’ll make sure my bid is low balled. I won’t cut my throat, I’ll make sure I cover all expenses with just a little bit for profit. The best part is, I’ll be the only contractor bidding who can have the job done by the end of April, just in time for the spring tourist season.”

“That sounds good, but I’m not a member of the Clan Wells Point,” Gilligan reminded them.

“That can be remedied easily enough,” Jane chuckled. “That is if you’re interested?”

“Oh I’m interested all right,” Gilligan enthused. “But what if any of the deals will through.”

“I don’t think that would happen,” Steven declared. “But if by chance it would, we can work something else out.”

“Mary Ann, you haven’t said a thing,” Jane said. “What do you think of our ideas?”

“I’m not sure of anything right now,” Mary Ann declared. “I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that I’ve got a son rather than a daughter. What you said sounds fantastic. It would give us a chance to start over again as a family. It’s obvious Sam likes everyone here especially his classmates. At this point so much in our lives has changed, a bit more won’t make much difference. Gilligan if you’re game so am I.”

With that, the Clan Wells Point welcomed three new members. Calls were made to Rev. Giles and Dr. Sykes and plans were made for a special announcement in church the next morning.

While the parents were talking, the Clan teens headed over to their studio. Sam was amazed by the studio and the willingness of the adults to support the teens efforts. Tony, Jimmy, Phil, and Dwayne knew Sam played three instruments. Her father played the banjo and her mother the mandolin. Sam had learned to play both as well as the steel guitar. Sam eagerly accepted the offer to join the band.

Sunday morning the Evans family joined the rest of the Clan Wells Point attending the early service at St. Luke’s Church. Rev. Giles greeted the Evans family with open arms.

After the organ prelude, Rev. Giles greeted the congregation. After making a few announcements he turned to the Clan Wells Point. “The Clan Wells Point added three new members last night. They’re here with us today and have expressed a desire to join our congregation. They’ve lived in the Bay Hundred area all their lives but in the last week their lives have changed thanks to the efforts of Krista and her friends. Once again they rallied around a classmate who was quite suicidal and by his own admittance they saved his life. Krista recognized in this youth something that all the adults involved had missed. She saw through the walls the youth had erected in his agony and self loathing. She recognized the person was transgendered. With Krista’s normal resolve, she battered her way through the person’s defensive walls and confronted the reality. Dr. Sykes has spent most of the week counseling and testing the youth, and today we publicly acknowledge and welcome Samuel Evans into our fellowship.”

Krista linked arms with Sam and helped him stand and turn to face the congregation. Sam was clearly nervous as he looked out over the faces looking at him. Then someone started clapping and in moments nearly all the congregation was clapping. Sam’s heart soared. He had been accepted! Tomorrow he would do the same thing at school. Sam was here to stay.

Monday Sam waited outside the school for the Clan teens to arrive. Dr. Harris had already been notified of Sam’s situation and just like with the other transsexuals spread the word to the staff that Sam was now to be treated as a boy. Because of the initial revelation in church of Sam’s true gender, many of the students had already heard about Sam’s transition. Many were surprised, not having realized that transsexuals could be female to male. Most knew Sam and were not really surprised to find out that he was a transsexual boy. It was easier for them to accept a girl becoming a boy than vice versa. No one hassled Sam.

One thing that did happen during the week was that Sam and Jenny grew closer. Both were new to their gender status so naturally they had their inherent anxiety in common. Krista and Jaz smiled when they noted the pair spending a lot of time talking with each other. They knew before Sam and Jenny did that they would become boyfriend and girlfriend.

*****

At it’s end Balls Creek split into two segments, the northern segment opened into the Clan Wells Point holdings. Bills new home and dock were located in the northern segment which was located west of John’s Cove. The southern segment headed east and ended just short of the Bozman-Nevitt Road. There was a small peninsula separating the two segments. The northern quarter of the area was part of the western wooded area of the Clan holdings.

The southern three quarters had been mostly cleared and numerous homes were built on it. The parcel in question had once been two lots. The inland lot was rectangle shaped. The side adjoining the Clan woodland in the north and the opposite southern portion bordering Balls Creek were four hundred eighty five feet long and three hundred forty five feet wide. This portion had two nearly mirror image vacation rental homes. Each had three bedrooms and one and a half baths. On the southern shore they shared a large dock five feet wide projecting sixty feet into Balls Creek. A boathouse fifteen feet square was built adjoining the western tip of the dock. A boat shed twenty five feet wide and sixty feet long projected several feet into Balls Creek. It was equipped with electric boat lifts to remove boats from the water. There was a small dock five feet wide and ten feet long projecting south from the building.

The end parcel was trapezoid shaped, five hundred sixty feet long on the north, three hundred forty five feet on the west, five hundred forty feet on the south bordering Balls Creek, and slightly two hundred feet on the east forming the tip of the peninsula. A large two and a half story home stood near the tip. In the attic was a comfortable apartment for the owners. The second floor held six bedrooms and three full baths. The first floor featured two large fireplaces and two half baths. Between the house and the eastern shore was a large swimming pool. Near the northeast corner of the tip was a quaint gazebo. On the south shore was a dock five feet wide and thirty feet long. Near the Clan woodland was a shed and a garage. The couple that owned the parcel had remodeled the main house into a bed and breakfast inn they called the GRANDVIEW. Due to the economy stagnating, they had not made enough money last year to pay the mortgage. They were dipping into their reserves to make the payments but knew they couldn’t continue to do so. When Stephen contacted them about buying them out, they were understandably reluctant but understood they had to look at all options.

Steven and Cynthia came to the home and were given a tour. Both were impressed by the renovations and setting. Kurt and Amanda Shilling were equally impressed with the graciousness and sincerity of the Campbells. When they sat down to discuss the financial situation, Stephen was blunt but not harsh. Kurt and Amanda did not dispute Steven’s assessment of their situation.

“I’m sure you’re more than aware of the Clan Wells Point,” Steve stated. “We are very much interested in your property. What we need to know is how devoted you are to the property.”

“If we could see some way that we can continue paying the mortgage we would do so,” Kurt stated. “We both love this place. If we have to leave it will rip both of us up. Unfortunately as you so astutely pointed out, we’ll be bankrupt in six months. We really have no option but to sell out.”

“What if I could offer you another option,” Steve and smiled. “As I said, the Clan is interested in the property. This seems like a wonderful B&B and it’s only the economy that is putting you down. Once things pick up, we’re sure this place will be profitable. What were looking at is a twofold deal. First, you agree to sell the property to the Clan for the cost of paying off the mortgage. Second, you agree to join the Clan Wells Point. As members of the Clan, you would have an interest in the entire Clan holdings. We’d also like to see you stay on to operate the B&B. Of course there would be legal documents to sign and you could have your lawyer review them. If these terms are agreeable I don’t see any reason we can relieve you of the mortgage before this month is out.”

“I don’t know what to say,” Kurt said honestly. “We’d love to stay here and you’re giving us an opportunity to do so. What I don’t understand is why?”

“It’s quite simple,” Cynthia smiled. “We checked you out and you’re good people. The Clan Wells Point are good people. Our interests and your interests match. By joining together we’ll all get what we want. As a member of the Clan we can’t just throw you out.”

“What about our plans and hopes for this place?” Amanda sadly asked.

“Unless they’re outrageous we’ll listen,” Cynthia replied with a smile. “Is they’re practical we’ll go with them. After all, if you join the Clan this place will still be yours as well as ours. It’s a win-win situation.”

Amanda and Kurt looked at each other for a few moments, then nodded their heads. “Let’s see what lawyers come up with,” Kurt smiled.

“You can rest assured you’ll like what you see,” Stevens said. “Kevin Stewart is the Clan lawyer as well as a member.”

By Friday, the deal was done. Kurt and Amanda Shilling were welcomed as the newest members of the Clan Wells Point and the Clan holdings had expanded to include the entirety of the small Peninsula upon which the B&B rested.

The property next to the property of the Grandview B&B towards the Bozman-Neavitt Road was also up for sale. Stephen had placed a bid on that property. Even though he bid $50,000 under the asking price, the market was already crashing and the absentee owner was becoming increasingly desperate to sell, so he accepted the offer. Settlement was scheduled for February fourth but the seller agreed to allow the Clan access to the property including beginning any renovations they felt were needed. This tract was trapezoid shaped lot was a hundred seventy feet wide on the north side, seven hundred feet long on the West side, seven hundred forty five feet long on the Eastside and a hundred ninety feet long on the south side where it bordered Balls Creek. There were three houses on the property. The first home was a full time rental while the other two were used for vacation rentals and were currently vacant. The first house was located on the north portion of the property on the west side of the center driveway. It was a one and a half story home with three bedrooms and two baths with a fifteen by fifteen foot porch that connected it to a barn forty five feet wide by fifty five feet long. There was also a garage workshop combination fifteen feet by thirty five feet. The second one and a half story, three bedroom, two and a half bath home was also on the west side of the driveway. It had a nearby large garage as well as a rather large dock on balls Creek. The third one and a half story four-bedroom two and a half bath home had a large deck, garage and a shed foot shed was on the east of the driveway adjacent to the second home. It had an even larger dock five feet from the shore a hundred feet long. This was the home Steven had been talking about for the Evans family.

Robert handed in his bid to extend the dock at the end of the S. Chew St. In St. Michaels. His was the first bid and it handed in. It would indeed be the lowest and the small request for a docking birth where the Clan still made it quite attractive. The bidding would close in two weeks with the winning bid awarded the following week.

*****

Saturday the Evans family joined Steven and Robert as they toured the soon to be acquired property. The third home with the garage and shed and the bigger dock excited the family. It would be perfect for them and the charter business. The only thing needed was an upgrade in the heating system. Like many rental homes, the heating system was underpowered since minimal heat was needed during the winter when they sat vacant. Robert was able to eval the existing system and figure out how to economically upgrade it. After the tour, everyone headed to the main farmhouse for their regular Clan meal.

Afterward, the regular Clan meeting took place. The lone barn near the CWP Youth Rehab Hostel was discussed as the most feasible site to remodel for the proposed clothing manufacturing business for Marjorie Delp, Norma Harper, and Maureen Abott. The two and a half story barn was thirty five feet wide by sixty five feet long could be made into the perfect site for the CWP Fabric and Cloth Enterprises. They could easily construct an office, showroom/store, cloth storeroom, cutting room, sewing room, screen printing shop, sail and awning making room and shipping and receiving dock.

Another discussion centered on the other lone barn located in the forest just north of the Main Farm. This two and a half story building was much larger, sixty feet wide and eighty feet deep. A multi-purpose metal working shop, the CWP Metal Works, run by Greg Olsen was proposed. Part of it would be a machine shop. Another area would be set aside for a small scale foundry. A combination paint and powder coat shop would also be set up.

Robert had already gotten a line on industrial sewing machines, fabric cutters, tables and racks from a factory that was closing. He’d also contacted the family of the recently deceased owner of a small but update fully equipped metal fabricating and machine shop rightly assuming the family would sell everything for a low but reasonable price to a single buyer. Steven smiled as he said he was bidding more than the liquidation companies but only higher than they could pay and make a profit selling it off.

The consensus was to go ahead with the barn conversions and the equipment purchases. Robert would once more use his construction vehicles to pick-up the items.

After the meeting Sam joined the Clan teens for his first band practice while his parents sat down with Steven, Robert, Jane and Kevin as well as the Shillings to iron out the legalities involved in having the Evans and Shillings merge with the Clan. The teens had told Sam to bring his banjo so he was ready to join ‘Certain Change.’ Sam was amazed by the studio but had little time to wonder as they all tuned up. They had a good rehearsal and they were learning to mesh their individual performance into a smoothly flowing style that felt comfortable for all.

As usual nearly everyone headed into St. Michaels for the Sunday morning church service. Afterward, Sam rode out to the main farm with Tony, Rachel and Larry. After a quick lunch, Sam headed out to assist Tony and Larry with the farm chores. Sam had been wisely cautioned to bring some work clothes to wear while doing the chores. The teens gathered at the farm for supper before heading to their studio to practice. They were determined to have at least a few songs ready to welcome Kylie home.

Kylie, when still hidden inside Kyle, longed for the ‘Rainbow Connection’ to Larry. The song they planned to play first was a ballad, ‘The Rainbow Connection’, sung by Kermit the frog in the original ‘Muppet Movie’. The last lines of the song rang so true: “Have you been half asleep, and have you heard voices, I've heard them calling my name. Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors, the voice might be one and the same. I've heard it too many times to ignore it, it's something that I'm supposed to be. Someday we’ll find it, the Rainbow Connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.” This seemed to speak to the relationship that Kyle and Larry had before Kyle tried to kill himself.

Also from ‘The Muppet Movie’, they picked ‘Movin Right Along’ sung by Kermit & Fozzie. This was just a feel good song that expressed hope and happiness. The first lines set the tone: “Movin' right along in search of good times and good news, With good friends you can't lose, This could become a habit!”

For the next song they decided to use a silly song that is ironically accurate. ‘Always look on the Bright Side of Life’ from the Monty Python movie ‘The Life of Brian’. The excited teens even talked Stephan and Kevin into playing their bagpipes during the finale.

The last and main song was ‘It’s Getting Better’ made famous by Momma Cass of the Mommas and Papas. It seemed quite appropriate for Kylie and Larry For many people, this is the perfect song about discovering the love of your life. [In real life, it was the my late wife and I considered “our song’ because it spoke of our love that grew ever stronger as the years passed.]

*****

up
170 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Odyssey III Chapter 9

Too bad that Sam can't switch with Krista or Jennifer. But maybe the can later on with advances in medical technology.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I'm beginning to wonder if

I'm beginning to wonder if the "Certain Change" band is not actually morphing into a full blown orchestra since they are adding so many new music players into it.