Perfection

Printer-friendly version

Perfection

By Lora Guy

--SEPARATOR--

As the sport bikes flitted in and out of traffic, every guy with a pulse froze, staring as the girls zipped by. The leader of the group turned down a side street toward the beach, the others following like ducklings. As her friends parked around her, she set the bike on its kick stand and swung herself off. With practised ease she pulled off her helmet, setting her long blond hair free, allowing it to tumble down the middle of her tanned back. She kicked off her shoes then reached down and stripped off a pair of lycra jogging shorts. Walking out onto the boardwalk in her bikini, she waited for her friends, feeling the approving looks from the passing men and women. As the last of the girls joined her, she casually strolled away, the posse following without a thought.

The sun was deliciously warm, the breeze comfortably wafting her mane. The boardwalk wasn't crowded; there were just enough admiring people moving about to make it feel like the right place to be at the right time. A group of deck chairs with a view of the ocean provided them with their destination. The five of them hadn't finished sitting down before a very eager-to-please young gentleman showed up to take their order. Margaritas all around.

She looked at the beach, the boardwalk, her friends, her little pink toe nails at the end of her long tanned legs. She gazed up at the azure sky and sighed; this is one of those perfect moments that you always dream of.

A pair of teen boys shyly approached the girls. "Excuse me ladies, would you mind if we had our picture taken with you?" Without any discussion, her friends joined her in draping themselves around the excited pair. As the waiter snapped a pic, a darkened window behind him caught her eye. Narcissism kicked in as she looked at her reflection... she just couldn't help it. The small hairs on the back of her neck stood up as her smile grew wider; giddiness fluttering in her stomach. After what seemed like a lifetime of fruitless wishing, it had finally come to be. She was young, she was pretty, and she was popular. But most importantly, she was a she.

--SEPARATOR--

The woman looked down at her frail grandfather as he slept. He looked like a such a pitiful collection of skin and bones in the middle of the hospital bed. She reached down and picked up the book that had slipped from his hands. It was one she had bought for him just that afternoon: A Beginner's Guide to Lucid Dreaming. She looked back to his time-worn face as he let out a contented sigh in his sleep. She couldn't help but wonder what he was dreaming about as a wide smile peeked out from under his oxygen mask.

==========
Hey folks; Lora here. The idea for this just popped into my head, so I blew off my chores and sat down to write it out. It's such a simple tale, I'm sure someone has written it before. But maybe not. If so, I apologize for my unwitting plagiarism.

up
121 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lucid dreams...

Andrea Lena's picture

...hardly anything is completely original, but for the rich detail of the whole wonder of the moment...

The small hairs on the back of her neck stood up as her smile grew wider; giddiness fluttering in her stomach. After what seemed like a lifetime of fruitless wishing, it had finally come to be. She was young, she was pretty, and she was popular. But most importantly, she was a she.

How many of us spend a lifetime in fruitless wishing? How many of us wish for the dreams to be come reality. Very touching, from the girl herself to the granddaughter who notices the joy beneath the sleeping form. I loved this, Lora. Thank you!

enjoys the attention


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Perfection

Hope that some magic can make his dream into reality.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Magic?

...what makes the story so good is the sad irony of real life; no rescue or magical change other than the dreams of a old man. That sometimes all we have is our dreams, and that can be enough.


Happy to know you. Belle

this was darn good

well told.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Thank you Lora,

ALISON

'loved the story and the understanding of it shown by Andrea and Dorothy.I hope that all your readers
will have the same understanding.

ALISON

You Put Your Own Stamp On It

joannebarbarella's picture

Sure, there have been similar stories, but your treatment was in no way a copy of those, and you get full marks from me.

I have one question though. The spiffy Suzuki motorbike in the headline picture morphed into a "sport bike" in the text, which gave the impression of pedal-power. Was this just the way I read it? Not that it matters to the story.

Joanne

Hey there Joanne... Thanks

Hey there Joanne... Thanks for the compliment. (Now the giddiness is fluttering in MY stomach).

About the bike; in my part of the world, a motorcycle like that one is refered to as a "sport bike."

Lora123falle.jpg