Small Stuff

Printer-friendly version
Small Stuff
.
Eyebrow.JPG
.
A drabble by Lora Guy

.

--SEPARATOR--
.
.
Time and again, I remember Dear Abby giving the advice "Don't sweat the small stuff." Don't get upset by the insignificant. Good advice, but I like to push it a bit further. Latch on to the small stuff. Hold on to the little things; get excited about them. Because in reality, it's all those little things that add up and truly make you who you are.

As I went through the process of learning to present myself to the world as a woman, I found I was surprised by the most unbelievably trivial thing. It had nothing to do with the secret world behind the washroom door (all stalls and bigger mirrors, no surprise there). It didn't even come as a shock that for the most part, the world accepted me. I did come across the odd jackass once in a while, but most folks are good people who just see what they expect to see. No, I was actually surprised when I discovered one of the properties of eyebrow hairs.

For ten years, I'd been shaving the whiskers off of my chin. Afterwards, one cup full of water and all those thousands of little hairs would disappear from the bathroom sink. No fuss, no bother, they'd just scurry down the drain. But a plucked eyebrow hair is different. The instant it touches the sink, it seems to grow roots. You can try and push it in five different directions with flowing water, and it just holds on and pivots like kelp attached to the sea bed.

I'm sure that half of the country's population sees this effect on a regular basis and thinks nothing of it. But the first time I saw it happen, I thought, "Wow, men don't know about this, just women... like me." I was giddy, and a little choked up. It was such a defining moment, I brought it up the next time I saw my therapist. She couldn't keep the smile off of her face when she saw how animated I was over it. All those "firsts" going on in my life, and I chose eyebrow anchoring to get excited about. I'm glad she smiled. When I think back about it, she could have looked at it as a sign that I was losing my marbles.

That was a few years ago. And it's funny how it still has an effect on me. Occasionally I start to feel that my existence has leveled off into a humdrum normality; the excitement of becoming me is starting to fade. But then I think back about how pleased I was to discover that little fact about being an eyebrow-plucking woman and I'm overwhelmed by a sense of satisfaction, of achievement. Like I figured out the secret password for the best club in the world.

Abby had a point. Don't sweat the small stuff. Just hold on to your wonder about it.

up
107 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You Don't Have To Browbeat Me

joannebarbarella's picture

I shall henceforth watch every plucked hair in the washbasin for little signs saying "Save Me" as they resist being sucked into the swirl above the drainhole,

Joanne

Wow...

Andrea Lena's picture

   

andrea_0.jpg
...they really do cling to the side of the sink...
wow!!!!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Epiphanies

I've had quite a few epiphanies like this myself. Usually while stoned, though. And, yes, the joy and wonderment of it all was just as you so ably described.

You're still an excellent writer. Please give your muse a kick in the butt. I love all your stories. NEED ANOTHER FIX!!! LOL

Hugs,
Erica

Small Stuff

Perhaps they are our way of sensing telepathy

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Kelp?

kristina l s's picture

Now there's an image. Hate to say it but you are mad. They do seem to hang on though don't they.

Kris

I don't get to see this much

I don't get to see this much because I'm almost always plucking my eyebrows in the cab since I'm always rushing off to work. I've mastered putting makeup in a moving car as well, a legacy from my mother who does pretty much the same thing.

When I plucked my brows, I made a rather enjoyable

discovery. If I pulled from the base of the hair, the follicle came out with it. After about a year, my eyebrows were permanently shaped, and needed no further plucking. I tried the same thing with my leg hairs, only to find that they too, came out when I pulled them from the base of the hair shaft. So, Lora, you should give that a try. It sure beats expensive electrolysis, and time consuming plucking.

Thank you for telling us a little about your day. It was very interesting.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Good point

Certainly it takes a great mind to notice these small things and to think them over in this way.

Perhaps the secret of loving live is to see and enjoy the details if offers us. To remain wondering about things the way children do. And to feel special about the fact you can. Congratulations that you can.

Karin

small stuff

I know exactly what you mean. I find the smallest parts of being female amazing and wonderful.

DogSig.png