Drabble Theatre: Easter

Printer-friendly version

Easter is a day to celebrate rebirth and the start of new life - in more ways than one.

Easter

By J. L. Wendelin


Easter.

An appropriate day to begin her RLE.

The mirror showed a young woman in a green, floral-print dress. Nervously, smoothing the skirt over her hips, yet again, she smiled. And donned her Easter hat, a present from her mother. The gift was a surprise after their turmoil during the past year.

A horn beeped out front; her mom, with a ride to church.

Adjust the hat, one last check in the mirror.

Retrieving her purse, she took a deep breath, let it out with an affirming, “You go girl!” and opened the door to a new day and life.


Copyright 2007 JLW

up
51 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Need Some More Jamie :)

These short snippets are almost torturing me Jamie! They demand more life and stretching out :) This short story you placed out is interesting enough to me and has a twinge of life like a still photo from a great movie! Please consider expanding on this snippet into a short novel perhaps? please?

Besides I do KNOW you write extremely well and I have loved everything you have ever posted here. I know you can if you could be so inclined.

Sephrena Lynn Miller

Re: Need Some More

Seph,
I found writing this and "Side Effects" were both interesting experiences. Trying to stay at exactly 100 words while still telling a readable, complete tale is tough. Once you hit the 100 word mark every insertion or deletion needs an off-setting addition or subtraction. This one works better the "SE".

Choosing words and phrases to express your idea becomes an exercise in minimalism.

"She looked in mirror and saw a young woman in a..." – the first version,
became:
"The mirror showed a young woman in a..." - giving me three words to use elsewhere.

Actually “young” disappeared for a while but returned to offset a word lost in another edit.

What else I did with these was to get each one done quickly. I tend to be torturously slow getting words on the page. For each of these I gave myself a time limit and (almost) stayed within it. (Of course I forgot to tell you about chewing them over during bouts of insomnia during each previous night.)

One more thing I’d like to say (gently I hope) is that not every idea needs to be expanded into longer story. Sometimes a piece of chocolate is all you need, not a full Easter dinner.

Happy Easter - to those who celebrate it.

Jamie

Oki Jamie :)

To me it begged a full story to find out more about the character. Its ok you kept it as is I do understand!

*many more hugs*

Sephrena Lynn Miller

The Joy of Drabbles

Hiya Jamie! Having recently tried my hand at a couple of drabbles (100-word-long stories), I found myself appreciating your description of the creation process. I've really enjoyed the challenges and creative process involved. Also, writing short stories feels a lot less intimidating to me than taking on a longer tale. I look forward to seeing more of your writing. :)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Heather Rose Brown
Author of Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure

a snapshot

kristina l s's picture

..not usually being a fan of drabbles. Sort of agreeing with Sephrena that they don't quite satisfy. I liked Angela's recent 'Night at...' one..ah maybe appreciated fits better , this...
A snapshot you might find stuck in a mirror frame. Just a glance many years later will bring a flood of memories.
Very nicely done.
Kristina
ps I liked the thought process comment as well. Nice one.

My 2 cents

I liked it,

This works as it is or as the opening to a TG novel. Very creative and economical in the use of words. Lots of BANG for the buck - much like poetry.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa