The Secret Garden - Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version
”Cherry
 

The Secret Garden

Chapter 12: Friendships forming

by D.L.

Copyright  © 2011 D.L. All Rights Reserved.

Inspired by the classic children’s tale by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

 

That evening, the two children shared the meal sent up from the kitchen. Hattie waited patiently in an empty room along the corridor until called by Rosie when the coast was clear. After eating, she returned to the empty room to wait the collection of the dishes.

When Martha came to fetch the tray, there was a note waiting for her in the child’s elegant handwriting:

I’m tired. I will have a bath and head to bed. I do not wish to be disturbed again this evening.
R.H.

After confirming her instructions, Martha left with the tray and descended the stairs.

Rosie walked along the corridor and tapped on the door where the other girl was hiding. Hattie emerged and they returned to the warmth of Rosie’s rooms.

Going into the bathroom, the elder girl ran water into the bath, checking the temperature was suitable. Hattie stood shyly in the doorway, fiddling with the hem of her tatty dress, not sure what to do.

Rosie was also shy and nervous. This would be the first time she would undress with somebody other than her mother, personal servant, or doctor, in the room. Shutting the water off, she decided to take the lead. The sound of running water having made her want to empty her bladder, she dropped her trousers and sat on the toilet.

Hattie watched from the doorway before stepping fully into the room and closing the door. The sun was setting and the room had been lit by candles giving a soft warm glow, the semi-darkness giving some modesty to the two children.

Rosie unbuttoned her shirt as she relieved herself. Hattie came across the room and stood in front of the other girl, taking her clothes from her as she sat, and folding them neatly. When finished, Rosie got to her feet and softly asked, “Do you need to go before I flush? That way anybody in earshot will only hear it once.”

Rosie stood in embarrassment, but fought the urge to cover herself, letting Hattie see her naked form.

“You look exactly like I do,” Hattie said softly, letting her dress fall to the floor, “nothing like how my brother appeared without his clothes.”

Standing to one side, Rosie let the other girl use the toilet while she climbed into the bathtub. She was joined a short while later by Hattie. The two children proceeded to wash, massaging each other as they lathered the soap into every inch of their bodies. Both discovered the newfound intimacy between them relaxing and enjoyable, as they caressed each other.

Both girls, freshly cleansed, emerged from the tub, emptying the now cooling water down the drain. Hattie picked her discarded dress up between her thumb and index finger, holding the disgusting item as far from her clean, towel-wrapped body as possible, wondering what to do with it.

“Burn it,” Rosie instructed, “you can wear my things until we can buy you new.”

Nodding, Hattie took the garment through to the middle room and shoved it on the fire. Both girls watched the flames consume the dress, destroying any evidence of its existence, before extinguishing the lamps and retiring to the bedroom.

Discarding their towels, the two naked children slipped between the sheets, cuddling each other as they slowly drifted off to sleep. Both girls found the close proximity of the other a welcome change from their lonely former lives. They slept soundly, the nightmares that Rosie previously experienced seemingly cured by the presence of her companion.

The alarm woke the girls up at seven. With only half an hour before Richard’s breakfast would arrive, they reluctantly climbed out and made the bed. Rosie showed her dresses to Hattie, but they left them in their hiding place and both dressed in the more abundant boy clothing. Despite their masculine garments, both children still looked exceedingly feminine in their appearance. Hattie’s hair hadn’t been cut since she had arrived a year before, and was now halfway down her back. Rosie’s hair was not as long, but as Richard, she had successfully refused all attempts to get it cut, and it was now reaching her shoulders.

Once dressed, Hattie sneaked down the corridor into the next room, while Martha came with the breakfast. Once Martha left, Rosie called Hattie back into the room so that they could eat. The kitchen staff were always generous with the portions. Hattie had been taking food from Richard’s breakfast dishes for weeks, therefore it always appeared that he ate all they sent him, even though often he had left some behind.

After breakfast, the two children slipped out to the garden. Hattie hadn’t dared go outside for months, afraid that she would be spotted, or not be able to get back in again.

The part of the house in which Richard had been given accommodation was deserted most of the time. The floors below, containing bedrooms and function rooms, were only used when entertaining guests. This allowed the children to exit out of a side door away from the eyes of the staff, most of whom worked on the other side of the building.

The main risk came from the gardeners. There were many groundsmen tending to the large estate. Using Rosie’s knowledge and experience of the layout, the two children were able to navigate unseen to the door of the secret garden.

Hattie had hidden her long blonde hair under a hat, so from a distance she would look a lot like Richard. They took it in turns to cross open spaces, using the principle that if either of them were spotted from a distance, anybody seeing them would assume that they were looking at the young Master Headley.

Pulling the ivy out of the way, the two girls slipped through the door, closing it behind them, and walked down the foliage-covered path to the summerhouse.

Hattie immediately fell in love with the private space between the walls, just as her companion had done. Both girls then proceeded to tend the garden, weeding the flagstones and sweeping the leaves. Both agreed it was easier to work in trousers than dresses, and they set to their task to make the garden at least presentable.

Hattie needed a haircut, so Rosie offered to style her hair for her mid-afternoon, trimming the split ends from the girl’s locks and discarding the hair in the garden where it couldn’t be discovered.

They spent all day in the garden before returning to the house. Rosie was an expert at moving stealthily around outside, and Hattie at sneaking about inside. Between the two of them, they could come and go as they pleased, each learning from each other the best routes for remaining unseen.

It took the girls several days to clear away the weeds and tidy the garden. They found the summerhouse to be sound, although neglected. They swept out all the debris and managed to make it inhabitable.

Having gotten the garden into a state where it could be kept tidy, the girls relaxed and started to enjoy themselves. Rosie decided that Hattie should learn how to read and write. Given that Mr Hobbs had said that he would be happy to have Richard as a teacher, Rosie decided to take up that vocation with Hattie as her pupil.

A search of the library had found some books aimed at young children. Each afternoon would find the girls sitting in the summerhouse with Hattie attempting to read to Rosie. Hattie was a quick learner, and with the encouragement of her companion, was able to master the alphabet in a week.

Sunday morning required a change in routine for the two girls. Richard needed once again to attend church with his uncle. This wasn’t something Rosie enjoyed, but was deemed necessary. While she enjoyed listening to the bible passages, she didn’t like crowds, and sitting at the front of the church in view of the entire village made her uneasy.

The more people who got to know what she looked like as a boy added to the risk of appearing as a girl.

Rosie also wanted to go clothes shopping at some point. Most of her collection was unable to be brought from India, as she was unable to explain why Richard would have feminine clothing. It was lucky that she was planning a trip away with her mother and that the secret compartment in the travelling trunk was already packed, otherwise she would have nothing but boy clothes with her.

Hattie always enjoyed Sunday mornings, being the only time during the week in which the house was empty. All the staff attended the church, leaving the building clear for her to explore. It was during these occasions that she normally stocked up with food supplies for the week. Now that she was living with Rosie, she didn’t have to worry as much about where her next meal would come from.

This morning, Hattie decided to do something that she hadn’t done in many months. She would also be attending church. Borrowing a dress from Rosie, she waited for the family and staff to leave before opening a window and slipping out. She ran to the church, arriving as the first hymn was being sung. Creeping into the back, she took up station at the rear.

Once the church service was over, Hattie was quick to sneak out before any of the villagers could ask who she was. Being a small and close-knit community meant that outsiders would soon be recognised. Hattie made her way to the secret garden in order to wait for Rosie.

Richard was once again surrounded by staff members at the end of the service so that he could remain out of the crowd. He did smile at the sight of his friend sneaking out of the door.

After changing out of her Sunday best, Rosie walked down to the secret garden to meet with Hattie, who was sitting practicing her handwriting.

up
215 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Quite a nice story.

I do hope that a way can be found for Hattie.

Much peace

Gwendolyn

Thank you ,

ALISON

'once again for this sweet and 'feel good' story.I'm loving it.

ALISON

The Secret Garden - Chapter 12

I am waiting for their secret to be discovered.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A deepening relatioship

Rami

The relationship between Hattie and Rosie is deepening. Two lonely sisters in need of a close friend.
What will happen when they are discovered? Tragedy or something else. I guess it depends on the Uncle.

It seems that Richard is not living up to his responsibilities regarding the tea trade and the suspected embezlement.

Will Uncle call him to task for this causing a problem for Hattie.

Rami

RAMI

Business

Actually, Richard / Rosie's hands are tied with regards to the business. Because the English end of it had no knowledge of just how closely Richard was involved in the Indian side of the business, it's now being managed by third parties until Richard is legally old enough to take over.

Hopefully between now and when the secret is discovered, Rosie can carefully sound out her uncle on his attitudes and emphasise in no uncertain terms the degree of knowledge she has over the business. Hopefully when the time comes, her uncle can assist in the subterfuge of Richard disappearing and Rosie appearing. Arranging Richard's disappearance shouldn't be too hard - just pretend he's gone back to India. Explaining Rosie's appearance will probably require more creativity though... not to mention Hattie's!

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

It looks like it will be

Wendy Jean's picture

a friendship between equals, as friends should be.