The Secret Garden - Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version
”Cherry
 

The Secret Garden

Chapter 2 — The arrival at Ashby

by D.L.

Copyright  © 2011 D.L. All Rights Reserved.

Inspired by the classic children’s tale by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

 

It was late evening before Mrs Medlock and Richard disembarked from the train after several hours’ ride. The sun had already set, but the full moon illuminated the countryside. The platform itself was well-lit by gas lamp. They were greeted by a footman with a horse and carriage waiting for their final leg of the journey.

Heeding the earlier warning of the captain about the child’s unease around such transport, Mrs Medlock was slightly nervous as to what might happen next. Taking a firm hold of the child’s hand, she waited until the locomotive pulled away before trying to walk down the platform. She did not want the child to panic and be hit by the moving train.

Once she deemed it safe, she started to walk towards the exit. On rounding the brick wall and into the pickup point the boy came to an abrupt halt when he saw the carriage waiting. As they were the only people to alight, it was obvious to him that it was waiting for them.

“Come along, it’s perfectly safe and the only way we can get home,” Mrs Medlock said in a kind voice, trying to coax the child into co-operating.

The young man shook his head and remained standing still. Mrs Medlock tugged his hand harder, but still he would not move. Getting annoyed at the boy’s refusal, Mrs Medlock gave a hard pull on the lad causing him to fall over.

Not wanting to drag him along the ground, Mrs Medlock sighed and let go of Richard’s hand. She intended to pick him up round the waist and carry him to the carriage. However, he was too quick for her, and before she could catch him, he darted out of her grasp and grabbed the nearest lamppost. Wrapping his arms and legs round the metal pole, he climbed up to the top where he clenched it for all his worth.

Both Mrs Medlock and the footman attempted to pull him off, but neither could get a good enough grip to part him from the lamppost. The footman was able to grab his foot and pull him back down the pole. Richard had a tight hold, but wasn’t able to maintain enough traction on the painted metal to remain at the top. Mrs Medlock then tried to pull his arms and legs from round the post while the footman pulled at his waist. This was partially successful, but she couldn’t move enough limbs at once to remove young Richard.

On starting to lose the battle, the young boy suddenly let out an ear-piercing high-pitched scream. This had the effect of upsetting the horse standing nearby, and the footman had to let go and dash off after the carriage as it started to take off down the road.

“Stop that noise!” Mrs Medlock shouted angrily. The boy stopped.

The two of them stared at each other for a few seconds. Richard then let go of the post with one of his hands so that he could point at himself. He then made a motion with his fingers, walking them up his arm.

He continuously repeated the gestures until Mrs Medlock asked, “You want to walk?”

The boy nodded. He pointed at the housekeeper, then at the carriage, and then at himself and made the walking motion with his fingers.

“Don’t be ridiculous, its five miles to the house, you can’t walk that distance, we will be here all night,” Mrs Medlock stated.

The child’s response was to carry on repeating the hand gestures he had been making.

Reluctantly, Mrs Medlock realised that they were not making any progress. She thought that perhaps a walk might make him change his mind. Therefore, after loading the baggage onto the carriage, Mrs Medlock and the footman pulled away slowly from the station. Once the vehicle was moving, the young man let go of the lamppost and started to follow.

What the adults didn’t know was that the child had spent many hours walking through the Indian countryside. He was perfectly fit and capable of the journey without problems. Walking was one part of his fitness regime that had helped him recover after his accident, and again after the fever.

The carriage initially set off at walking pace, but the horse was not used to doing this journey at that velocity, so settled into its usual stride. The footman worriedly looked behind him, assuming that they would be leaving the boy behind, but was surprised to see the young lad jogging along behind them. In the dim moonlight, the footman could see a smile on the boy’s face. Richard gave a thumbs-up signal to the driver to show that he was happy with the speed.

Although faster than he usually strolled, the boy was used to doing so in a hot, moist climate that sapped energy. In the cool night air of England, he had no difficulty in keeping pace with the carriage.

This continued all the way to the manor house. Ashby Hall was actually only four miles from the station using the route they took. If he had been able to cut across country then it would have only been half that.

A number of staff came out to greet them. All of them were surprised to find the child walking behind the carriage rather than being in it.

Mrs Medlock signalled to two burly men to take the trunk up to the boy’s room. Once inside the foyer of the large house, Richard proceeded to do a number of stretching exercises after his long walk. He was sweating and thirsty from the journey so requested a drink by clicking his fingers to get attention, then making a motion with his hands miming drinking from a glass. One of the servants immediately curtseyed and fetched a glass of water, which the boy took and drank eagerly, but in a refined manner.

Mrs Medlock watched in amusement at how the young lad was able to get the staff to do his bidding without speaking a word. If one is superior enough, then it is the responsibility of the servants to interpret the instructions in whatever form they may take.

“Gwendolyn, is Richard’s room ready?” Mrs Medlock asked.

The servant seemed nervous and on the stare of her superior answered, “Martha is making it ready at this minute.”

“Why is Martha doing it? On second thoughts don’t answer that, I know the reason. I would rather not have the boy involved in your petty superstitions,” Mrs Medlock replied. “Please arrange tea, bread and jam to be brought to the drawing room. Neither of us has eaten since lunchtime, and I would rather not send the boy to bed on an empty stomach. Is His Lordship still up?”

“No ma’am, he has retired as he is leaving for the city early tomorrow for a meeting at the bank. He instructed that both you and the lad should have a late start in the morning due to your long journey,” replied the master’s personal butler.

Mrs Medlock escorted the boy to the drawing room where a light meal had been brought up from the kitchen with refreshments.

up
223 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Secret Garden - Chapter 2

Petty superstitions? Wonder what they are? Will they hurt the child?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Very nice story.

I seem to remember a story along this same line. I am not accusing you of plagarisim. Your writing is very nice.

Jolly good.

Khadijah

Communication

I wonder how long it will be before Richard regains the ability to communicate by talking.

Thanks DL, enjoying this so far.

Profound Speech


Bike Resources

walking behind the horse

well, he got there safely, so I guess that's what matters. too bad he doesnt like horses though, he'd find them very good friends ( I know I did)

DogSig.png

Looks like the kid

Wendy Jean's picture

is willing to meet them halfway.