But I'm a BOY!

Printer-friendly version
But I'm A BOY!
 © 2011 Zoe Taylor

Out of the mouths of babes...


“But I’m a BOY!” the words echoed through the house like a gunshot. In the immediate silence that followed, a plate could be heard shattering against the floor in the kitchen. Cousins turned off their gaming system, grandpa glanced over from his chair beside the brightly decorated Christmas tree.

Aunts and Grandma poked their heads curiously around the kitchen door, and one very humiliated uncle stood, red-faced and uncertain as to what he could possibly say in response to his little niece’s outburst.

Five year old Christina Noel Roberts, dressed in a dark crimson holiday dress, stood with her feet planted firmly in black patent Mary Janes, stark contrast to her white tights. Her hair had been done up in little pigtails, and a well-meaning older sister had painted her lips with just the lightest touch of strawberry-flavored lip gloss for the occasion.

No one dared to speak a word. Uncle Frank, the accidental instigator of the scene, whose only sin was to tell her how pretty she looked, quietly slunk away. Grandpa Joe offered Frank the not-so-well disguised bottle in his hand. Frank crumpled the brown paper bag as he up-turned the bottle, and Mark Roberts, little Christina’s father, took control of the situation.

“Sweetheart, who told you you’re a boy?” he asked gently, assuming one of the child’s older cousins had been playing a nasty prank on her earlier in the day. But she emphatically shook her head.

“No one, daddy,” she answered.

“Then why do you think you’re a boy?” Again, he tried desperately to keep his cool, despite the fact that his boss, Tim Higgins and his lovely wife Katherine had only moments before joined the otherwise family gathering. He worked so hard to convince Tim to stop by for a drink, assuring his employer that they believed in strong family values not twelve hours ago.

“Because I don’t like being a girl,” the child answered honestly as she stared at her shoes uncomfortably. By now Helen, little Christina’s mother, had crept into the room, her face a mix of stricken shock at the outburst’s ramifications, and concern for her little baby’s well-being.

“Darling, why don’t I take Christina to her room and talk to her about this while you make your famous eggnog?” Helen gently advised even as she scooped the girl up into her arms. She gave her a motherly kiss on her forehead to reassure both Christina and the silent onlookers that everything would be okay.

Mark smiled, exchanging a brief kiss with his beautiful bride of twenty-eight years, giving her a gentle nod. He kissed the top of little Christina’s head, and turned to step into the kitchen while Helen quietly ducked out of the room.

Christina’s room looked the part for any little girl’s room, painted in bright pastels with portrayals of fantastic creatures like unicorns and mystical, friendly dragons. Her bed lay awash in lace, her favorite stuffed animal, a small brown bear wearing a baseball cap, sat at the center, though it toppled onto its side as Helen gently set her daughter down, kneeling in front of her.

“Am I in trouble?” the little girl finally, hesitantly whispered. Helen smiled as she shook her head.

“No, honey, you’re not in any trouble.” She took the little girl’s hand in hers and gave it a light squeeze. “But why did you wait until now to say you don’t like wearing a pretty dress?” Granted, that's not exactly what Christina had shouted, but Helen felt certain she understood what she really meant.

The child shrugged her shoulders. “I’unno,” she mumbled softly.

“Well, would you feel more comfortable in your favorite jeans instead?”

Christina’s eyes lit up and she nodded emphatically. Immediately she began to tug at the pretty ribbons holding her pigtails in place. Helen chuckled softly to herself as she helped her undo them, letting soft, natural curls roll down her shoulders.

When she re-emerged holding Christina by the hand, the child, at least from the front, now looked every bit the tomboy. She wore a bright yellow baseball style shirt and her favorite jeans. She had exchanged the tights and Mary Janes for white socks and her play sneakers. Perched atop her head, a blue baseball cap with her favorite baseball team, the Cubs’ logo embossed across the front. Most importantly though, she wore a bright, beautiful smile for the first time that day.

Tim pulled Mark aside after a brief eggnog toast.

“You promised me when I agreed to stop by today, that you would show me traditional family values,” Tim began. Mark’s face fell.

“Sir, I can assure you, I had no idea-”

Tim shook his head as he held up a hand, indicating for Mark to let him finish. “You told me that you would show me something special, and you have. Most parents, if their little girl had made an outburst like that, especially in front of their boss, would have lost it. I know; I’ve seen it before. It never becomes any less painful for anyone involved.”

He paused to smile as little Christina passed by, stopping to hug her daddy’s waist for just a moment before she raced into the living room. Her older cousins, rather than teasing her, immediately welcomed her to their group, and one could even be overheard complimenting her baseball cap.

“Now with that said, I have a contact I’d like you to consider. He’s a child psychologist. He helped my niece, and I think he can help Chris.”

“You mean Christina?” Mark asked gently.

“Chris, Christina, it’s hard to say at this age. My niece used to be my nephew, after all, and now she’s one of the most successful attorneys in the state. But getting back to what I was saying before, you really showed me something today, and I’d like you to consider the open Supervisor position.”

“I,” Mark stammered, staring blankly back at his boss. Tim simply smiled as he extended his hand.

“Merry Christmas.”

up
215 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Author's Notes - 'But I'm a BOY!' Edition :-)

Zoe Taylor's picture

Yes, I know this is March, but that also means it's Arkansas Monsoon Season. With my internet down due to storms I had little else to do but sleep, and even that eluded me, so I lay awake thinking about recent blogs.

I started thinking about Dorothy's recent post, Forced Feminization with a Twist, and the more I thought about it, the more a story idea wormed its way into my brain. I jotted it down, and as soon as my internet returned, I decided to post it :-)

Special thanks to Dorothy for inspiring this piece, of course!

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

meh Arkansas got the rain?

And I am looking out my window and seeing - SNOPW! bah!
Two days ago, I had the top down on the covertible and now this. Well, I guess that is Missouri's weather for you :P
Oh, and by the way? Nice story to start the day with!
Snowy hugs
Diana

nice to serve as inpsiration

that doesnt happen often. But a nice little story, with a happy ending for all.

"I'm not like other people - Pain hurts me!" - Daffy Duck.

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

March comes around again,

Extravagance's picture

and this little gem shows up in Random Solos! =) Regardless of the time of year, it's a great antidote to all the venomous forced-fem and feminazi victories.

Thank you very much, your highness! ^_^
*HuggleSnugglePurrKissLickyourface* <3

Catfolk Pride.PNG

It's always a surprise

Zoe Taylor's picture

... When I see this story come up in the random solos. I literally do a double-take when I see my name, and go "Oh yeah!" ^_^

I love this story. It was so much fun to write, and coming back to it a year later makes me smile all over again. Thanks for the comment! :-D

Btw, monsoon season is starting late this year it seems. We've had one day of storms, and a bit of a cold snap last night (not bad though), but right now it's sitting close to 80 degrees, and it was nice and sunny. Not that I miss the tornadoes, but it's weird seeing that big orange thing in the sky this time of year *giggle*

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Thanks again Zoe,

ALISON

'you never cease to amaze me! But you always entertain us.

ALISON

But I'm a BOY!

Yes, A child that young can know who they are. It is up to loving adults to help the child and accept the truth,

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Traditional Family Values...

...used to mean valuing your family and the people in it, faults, quirks, and all.

Somehow, the phrase got perverted into something else altogether, something where it is okay to toss your minor children onto the street because your pastor tells you they don't qualify for his version of heaven.

I've spent a good part of the last couple hours crying. Happy tears, and angry ones. I watched an "It Gets Better" video that led me to the website of the Union of Reform Judaism, URJ.ORG and its wonderful LGBT resources. Seeing people who believe in, and practice, equality and inclusiveness, and base it on religious principles interpreted from the same books that others use to do the opposite, makes me cry with happiness. Thinking about those who choose to believe and do the opposite, makes me cry with anger.

Pass the kleenex.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

A real loving family and a

A real loving family and a boss who understands what the family is going through. Definitely presents to all involved on that Christmas day.

You minx, you made me cry again.

Now where are those tissues? This is a wonderful story and this is not "forced feminization with a twist". This is about a young man who knows who he is, and demands to be treated as the boy he is. Five years old is not too young to know your sexual identity, even if the child doesn't know the words for it. I knew I was "different" when I was 3 years old. I didn't know what they called it, but I knew I was different. When my aunt Caroline called me a young man or a good boy I knew I wasn't either one, and at one point when I was 6 I corrected her saying, "don't you mean, good girl?" She just looked at the ceiling and sighed.

This story is very plausible and very heartfelt. Thank you for sharing.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Wake up call -

Zoe, I think you are very clever.

I feel your story is not about the uncle, dad, mum, boss, relations, or the child?

It could have been anybody.

I think it's maybe about recognition that there are those amongst us who are different and that all those who live in a civilised world accept and support us for who we really are?

Smart story, thank you.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Not the story I expected.

When I saw the title I admit I was expecting some sort of forced fem story. I was pleasantly surprised with what I read.

This is a wonderful little tale.

Wordplay

Zoe Taylor's picture

I've been described as having a love affair with the English language ;-) I love wordplay, even though I'm not always very good at it, usually too vague or just outright off in left field, staring at a butterfly. But the titles for my last two short story contributions came from my feeling a little playful.

That said, I actually spent a good ten minutes searching around the site to be sure the title hadn't been used as the title for a FF story, so I wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes ^_^

* * *

"Zoe, you are definitely the Queen of Sweetness with these Robin stories!"
~ Tychonaut

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Brilliant.

It's 'battle won' if parents can see ... early!
Yet better if they partway understand,
For in the war that's going to be their growing,
They'll need many a helping hand.

Lovely story Zoe.

Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

The father for whom we all wished.

Oh, if that level of intellect and understanding existed more in real society. That is what real family values are.

Christmas Cheer

Teek's picture

I had read this story before, but I needed a little christmas cheer today. Thanks for a little uplifting tale.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

I really liked this one

Retro story commentary rocks :D
I'm glad I found this little gem - It's nice to see that the parents didn't force their child to wear a dress. I guess it's easier with a girl, but still it made me happy.

thank you for writing this beautiful story,
Beyogi