New Midnight Society: The Tale of the Demon-Sitter

Printer-friendly version
Demon-sitter-title3.png

The Midnight Society were a group of friends who met in the woods to tell stories around a campfire, but after three generations, no one was left to carry the torch. They fell into urban legend, until Kristina decided to resurrect the traditions with a story of her own.

Life was hard for Kristina ever since her return to school as a girl. She was ready to try anything, but would a scary story really be enough to win over her peers?


***
Rebirth
***

It had been a very long time since anyone had even set foot at the old campsite. The Midnight Society had long been abandoned. No one seemed to care about sharing stories anymore, too busy with their fast-paced lives. The old guard had grown up and moved on, with nobody to carry the torch.

Every generation, the Midnight Society, a small group of school-aged friends would gather in these old woods to tell ghost stories by the light of the moon, and the warmth of a campfire. It harkened back to a different time, when things moved slower, and when friendships could still cross boundaries like race and gender, and Kristina wanted to bring back that spirit.

She had no friends at school. Everyone was afraid of her after the incident last semester. It wasn’t that they thought she was a terrible person, but after school bullies who tried to attack her were sent to a juvenile correctional facility until they turned 21, no one wanted to risk damaging their precious social standing talking to the ‘weird boy who dresses like a girl.’

She petitioned the local private school for emergency transfer status, but the matter had been under advisement for awhile. It was now mid-October, and with no one at school to talk to, she decided to take drastic measures.

She knew the old Midnight Society stories by heart. She knew every member’s name. Some might say she was obsessed, but in reality she just loved a good, scary story. She had sent out the anonymous e-mails, left a clearly marked trail of ribbons, and now she only had to wait.

She pulled her pastel pink coat more tightly around her body as she sat down on the old stone “throne”-like seat, the traditional seat of the leader of the Midnight Society, her hand-knit gloves tightening around her fingertips. The hem of her long floral skirt brushed and whipped at her ankles in the light, cool breeze as she stared into the crackling fire.

She rolled back her jacket sleeve just enough to glance at her lavender Hello Kitty watch. It read 10:23. If anyone else were coming, they would have surely been here by now. With a heavy sigh, she pushed a few light-brown bangs from her eyes and stood. As she reached for the old, red water pail, intent on dousing the campfire and writing off this whole experiment as a terrible mistake, a twig snapped nearby, causing her breath to catch in her throat. She froze, glancing around.

“Hello?” she called. “Is someone there?”

Suddenly, a hand reached out of the darkness behind her, touching her shoulder. She shrieked and spun around, very nearly throwing the water on Marie Anne Louis, the most popular girl in school.

Marie leapt back and scowled. They weren’t in school anymore, and no one was around, so she felt more comfortable treating Kristina like anyone else who very nearly threw a half gallon of water on her. “Hey, watch it. These slacks are dry clean only!”

“I’m so sorry,” Kristina tried to apologize, quickly setting the pail aside. “I was about to put out the fire. I didn’t think anyone was coming.” She turned to stare into the darkness, and Marie hesitantly stepped closer, following her gaze. She offered a sympathetic smile as she waited for Kristina to finish. “I heard a noise...” she whimpered.

“Oh you did, did you?” Marie answered dryly, a more relaxed, even slightly playful tone in her voice now. “I hope it’s not my idiot brother and his friend trying to spy on me,” she paused briefly, and then continued in a stage yell, “Or I’d have to tell Mom what he’s hiding under his mattress!”

“Playboy or Hustler?” an older boy’s voice called chidingly as Josh Miller, linebacker strode out of the woods and into the light. Marie punched his arm rather hard. Kristina had always thought of Marie as the ideal feminine. She cheered, she ran track, and she had an incredible fashion sense, and the money to back it, but by how Josh flinched, she had a tough side, too.

“Never you mind. So this midnight thingie...-” she started to ask, trying to change the subject when in the distance, another girl could be heard shouting.

“Hang on! We’re coming! Don’t start without us!”

It was Denise Mattock, the human calculator. Not that she didn’t have looks as well, though Kristina’s fantasies about Denise typically revolved around looking like her, rather than being with her. She did have a massive crush on Denise when they were younger, but lately, she had found her tastes changing.

“We haven’t started yet,” Kristina tried to shout back, but for her entirely too meek nature, her voice just didn’t carry that well..

Marie and Josh talked quietly amongst themselves as Denise emerged from the woods with two others - a slightly older, dark haired girl Kristina didn’t recognize at all and a geeky boy with wire-frame glasses whose name she just couldn’t quite recall. Kristina stood to greet the newcomers, but out of the corner of her eye, she watched the unfamiliar face.

The girl seemed to capture Kristina’s attention without even trying. She pushed back her long black hair to reveal two tiny emerald studs that matched her sparkling eyes. She moved gracefully, like a dancer. Strangest though, was that she carried a weathered-looking leather drawstring pouch.

“Welcome everyone, to what I really hope will be a regular thing. I’m assuming you’re all here because you’re interested in restarting the Midnight Society?” Kristina recited her planned speech with only a small falter in her voice. She practiced for three hours in the mirror that day alone. She wanted everything to be perfect.

Denise glanced around slowly, seeming to take note of Kristina, now sitting by herself on a raggedy old sofa that had definitely seen better days. The older girl approached Kristina and sat down beside her, and Kristina gave her a nervous smile.

“I am,” she said matter-of-factly. In the dim light, it was difficult for Kristina to really tell where the girl’s hair ended and her black hoodie began.

“Me too,” Marie and Denise answered in unison. Josh gave a slight shrug.

“Maybe,” he grunted. “I was going to go to the movies, but-” he stopped himself. He didn’t dare admit that his girlfriend of two months dumped him. At least not publicly. News traveled fast among the girls’ bathroom though, and Marie gave him a sympathetic smile.

“But there’s nothing good playing this week,” she added. He laughed a little.

“What she said.”

The somewhat geeky boy rolled his shoulders. “Actually, I was just curious to see who sent the e-mail. They really did their homework to keep it anonymous.”

Kristina grinned just a bit. She was far from a true geek, but she had gone out of her way to set all this up with an emphasis on mystery.

“I’ve always loved ghost stories,” she continued, “And I grew up listening to my grandfather’s stories from the old country. When I learned of the Midnight Society, how they used to meet out here, and how they all came from wildly different backgrounds, it sounded almost Utopian.” She paused, adding hesitantly after, “I guess it’s kinda silly.”

The new girl shrugged thoughtfully. “Not really, if you’ve got a good story.” She paused to glance around at the others. “Storytelling is a tradition that’s almost as old as the human race. People have been telling stories around campfires for thousands of years.

“That’s the tradition of the Midnight Society. It’s the mystique that brought friends from such different backgrounds together. Rich, poor, male, female, black, white - none of that mattered.” She turned her soft green eyes on Kristina, and a chill ran down her spine. The girl smiled sweetly as she asked, “So what’s your story about?”

“I know at least some of you go to my school, so you already know who I am.”

“Sissy Krissy,” Josh muttered with a laugh, quickly silenced by another sharp punch from Marie. “Ow!”

“That’s so not funny,” Marie admonished, bordering on a growl. She had already yelled at someone at school the day before for saying it. It wasn’t that she cared one way or another about Kristina in particular, but being half-black and half-white, she knew the sting of prejudice growing up, even in these so-called modern times. It was her father’s hard work and her mother’s dedication to medicine that got her where she was now.

Kristina frowned though, lowering her gaze. She stared intently at the flames, as if trying to find her focus there … Or perhaps simply trying not to cry. Suddenly, she glanced up again. She had found what she sought, and knew exactly how to proceed.

“What if you were in my position, only you couldn’t do anything about it?”

“What do you mean?” Marie asked, genuinely curious. Kristina smiled. She knew she’d gotten Marie hooked at least. She stood slowly, setting her gaze on each individual gathered now, before she continued.

“What if you were a boy being forced into dressing like a girl, acting like a girl, even going to school as a girl, and there was nothing you could do about it? For some boys, that’s tantamount to torture, and that’s exactly what my story is about.” She paused for dramatic effect, and the entire camp fell silent, but for the crackling fire.

“Being a girl isn’t a choice for me; it’s just how I was born. It’s who I am. But what if it was your parents, or an evil babysitter, forcing it on you? Even if, deep down, you really were a girl inside, after years of living as a boy, would you be able to cope?”

The raven haired girl stood. She leaned down to whisper something in Kristina’s ear, and the girl’s eyes widened. She grinned, looking back. The other girl nodded, taking her seat again and passing Kristina the leather pouch she’d brought with her. The others watched in complete silence, their eyes fixated on Kristina now as she reached into the satchel, holding her hand there.

“Midnight dust,” she answered their questioning stares, and then announced in a dramatic voice, “Submitted for the approval of the New Midnight Society, I call this story,” she paused, tossing a handful of some kind of strange dust onto the fire. Immediately, the flames leapt and danced as an eerie smoke rose.

Marie jumped slightly, much to Josh’s pleasant surprise as he stole the opportunity, wrapping an arm around her. She started to punch him again, but instead lay her head against his shoulder and smiled, as Kristina sat once more, beginning her story.

“The tale of the Demon-sitter.”

***
New Girl(s)
***

Thirteen year old Kyle Lawrence was constantly in trouble. If he wasn’t blowing up mailboxes, he was slashing tires, planting toilet bowl cleaner in shower heads, or any number of other horrible tricks on friends, family, and neighbors. His mother, Jennifer had been very ill for a long time now. The medicine she took helped with the pain, and kept her alive, at the cost of leaving her very weak, so his father Scott often worked long hours to make up the difference.

On the rare occasion that Jennifer felt strong enough to go out for an evening, they usually returned to horror stories of how Kyle had tormented the babysitter to the point of threatening to call the police, as well as all-too-familiar vows to never sit for them again.

And then Jayne came into the picture. They had never heard of her until a week ago, but every reference she had provided not only checked out, but enthusiastically recommended her, with promises that absolutely nothing would go wrong. She sounded too good to be true, but Scott hadn’t had a night off in six months, and Jennifer was feeling unusually strong, so they decided to give her a chance.

Meanwhile, next door, Kyle had just pulled off his best prank yet, at least in his own mind. The trap had been set masterfully, and the glue was sure to never come off, leaving a pair of shoes stuck permanently to the welcome mat. What he wasn’t expecting, however, was for Cherie, not her mother, to get into his little trap.

“KYLE YOU LITTLE FREAK!” came the shrill shriek, echoing through the entire neighborhood as Cherie frantically tugged and pulled, trying to get her feet free.

Kyle had been hiding in the bushes, watching the whole thing, and even though Cherie wasn’t his primary target, he still couldn’t help himself. He tumbled out of the bushes laughing and tried to approach to help her. After all, she was his age, and they were really pretty sneakers.

“Get away!” she yowled, nearly clawing his face as he got within arm’s reach. “Stupid jerk!”

“Fine!” he yelled back, as if she should have been grateful for his help. “Do it yourself you whiny powderpuff!” He stuck out his tongue and laughed, turning to walk away as she burst into tears.

Feeling smug and quite proud of himself, he almost didn’t notice the new voice in the kitchen. As he drew nearer though, he could hear his father talking with someone, and decided to investigate.

“Oh, Kyle, good,” his father, dressed in his best suit, gave Kyle a parental look as he approached. Kyle was more intently focused on the older girl leaning on the cabinet and sizing him up. Something about her just didn’t feel right. He sneered when he thought his father wasn’t looking, but smiled angelically as soon as his gaze returned.

“Kyle this is Jayne, your new babysitter. Your mother is finally feeling well enough to get out of the house. Try to behave yourself for just one night?” he asked, as if he already knew the answer to that.

“Oh, I’m sure we’ll have lots of fun together,” Jayne answered for him, smiling sweetly. Scott gave her a look that screamed ‘I’ll believe that when I see it’, and reluctantly, he turned to step into the other room, just as Kyle’s mother Jennifer entered. She wore a long, stunning black evening gown, and even had her honey blonde hair up. For a moment, Kyle actually forgot she was sick. She looked so pretty that he cracked a smile.

“And just what are you grinning about?” she asked. “No tricks, Kyle. I need tonight. Just... don’t burn the house down?”

“Ohhh I won’t,” he answered mischievously. The gears in his head had already begun to turn, as to how he could torture Jayne into never setting foot here again. Jayne seemed unfazed though, which, for some reason, unnerved him.

“Don’t worry, Mrs. Lawrence. Everything’s going to be fine. You go and have a nice evening. I promise I’ll call if there are any problems, but I’m absolutely sure there won’t be.”

“Yes, well,” Jennifer trailed off a moment, but Jayne interrupted her.

“I promise,” she insisted, and as she lay her hand on the woman’s shoulder, Jennifer faintly nodded.

“Okay. Be good Kyle. We’ll be back before ten - probably earlier.”

Kyle opened the refrigerator and grabbed a can of grape soda, but before he could even open it, Jayne placed her hand over the top of it, staring down at him. She smiled as he gave her an irritated glance.

“I know what you stole from the neighbors’, Kyle,” Jayne said slowly, a calculating expression on her face. Kyle’s eyes widened slightly. He only ever stole one thing, but he never got caught. How could Jayne have found out?

“I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Kyle stammered. Jayne shook her head slowly as she took another step closer to the frightened boy and moved one hand behind her back. Slowly, she reached one hand out as she stood in front of him.

He flinched as she gently caressed his cheek with her palm, and with her other hand presented a pair of girls’ satin panties in Barbie pink. “I’ve been thinking,” she trailed off, dangling the treasure in front of him. He didn’t dare respond, just staring at the silky fabric.

“Your mother’s told me all about the horrible things you’ve done to your parents, neighbors, even that cute girl next door, Cherie was it? Since you’re such a rotten boy, maybe you’d make a better girl, instead?”

“W-what’re you talking about?” he asked, growing more and more afraid by the second. She laughed softly, as if he had just told her a really funny joke.

“It’s really simple. I noticed you have an old sandbox in the back yard. When was the last time you just went out and played, and acted like a child instead of a juvenile delinquent?”

She used that word, ‘juvenile delinquent’, and it made her sound like she was ninety or something. It was just one of the many things that seemed ‘off’ about this girl. Kyle shrugged his shoulders though. He couldn’t actually remember the last time he played in that old sandbox. It was before Cherie moved in, anyway, and that was years ago. “I dunno,” he grunted.

“You ‘dunno’, huh?” she answered, and then pushed the panties into his chest gently. “Here, sweetie. Put these on for me.”

“What?! You want me to just strip right here!?” he squeaked, ignoring for now that she just told him to put on girls’ underwear. She giggled, gently stroking his cheek again. As she did, he could feel a gentle warmth in her hand. It had an oddly comforting feeling, almost pleasant, soothing.

“Of course not, silly goose. I want you to go into the bathroom and change. While you’re doing that, I’m going to get something else for you to wear over it. We’re going to try a little experiment to channel some of that destructive energy of yours, okay? I promise it won’t hurt.”

Kyle couldn’t understand why, but he felt an absolutely irresistible and overwhelming desire to see just where this was going, enough that he was willing to endure wearing his ill-gotten booty. After all, if she tried something weird he could always have her arrested, and then never have to see her again. That’s what he told himself anyway, as he went into the downstairs bathroom and closed the door.

He didn’t hear the front door opening and closing, nor the lighter, second set of footsteps outside. He thought he could hear voices, but just as he pulled the silky undergarments into place, the bathroom door opened, causing him to flee for the safety of the bathtub. “Hey! You said you wouldn’t look!” he demanded.

“I’m not looking,” Jayne’s soothing voice responded. Kyle cautiously peeked around the tropical print shower curtain just enough to see that Jayne was telling the truth. She had one hand over her eyes, and the other, holding a lavender girls’ tank top and denim shorts.

It was obviously a girls’ tank top because the shoulder straps were spaghetti ties in neat bows, and the front had a picture of My Little Pony’s Twilight Sparkle. Of course, he’d never admit to having actually watched the cartoon. The shorts were just as bad, with a rainbow patch on the front, and heart designs stitched into the small back pockets.

She expertly laid the clothes on the sink, picking up his boy clothes, and backed out of the room just as Kyle quietly protested. “I can’t wear that.” His tone had lost much of its defiance already. She had taken his other clothes, so his options were somewhat limited.

“Of course you can,” Jayne answered. “Remember? We’re trying an experiment. I promise I’m not going to hurt you. I just want to try something different. Have I lied to you yet?”

“... No,” Kyle reluctantly answered. Of course he had only just met her, but that bit of logic seemed to escape him at the moment. He sighed, defeated, and stepped out of the bathtub. After zipping up the jean shorts, and pulling the tank top into place, he caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror and frowned. Even with his short brown hair, he looked like a tomboyish girl. He sighed again, and trudged out of the bathroom, where Jayne stood, holding out a pair of hot pink jelly flat shoes. Kyle groaned.

“Oh come on now. I think they’re cute. I wish I had a pair of these when I was your age,” she added with a giggle. She gently squeezed Kyle’s hand and led him into the living room. With just a light nudge, she had shoved him down onto the overstuffed sofa. Before he could protest further, she had taken his left foot, shoving the first shoe into place. It fit perfectly, as did the second. “There. That wasn’t so bad was it?”

He started to stick out his tongue, but as he stood, and the almost non-existent heel clicked against the hardwood floor, he cringed. The sound resonated quite loudly, and sounded almost exactly like the sound that Cherie had made the day before as she stormed into her house, after he nailed her with a corn syrup-filled water balloon.

“Now, I want you to go outside, and I want you to play,” Jayne began. Kyle’s eyes grew wide with fear, and he shook his head vigorously.

“No way!” he shrieked. “I can’t let people see me like this! What’d the neighbors think?!”

“That all depends on you, sweets,” Jayne answered gently as she stroked his cheek again. “The neighbors are pretty used to Kyle, the juvenile delinquent who sets fires, blows up mailboxes, slashes tires - should I go on?” she asked, without waiting for an answer before continuing. “But who’s honestly going to notice Karen, the well-behaved little girl playing harmlessly in a sandbox?”

“Karen?” Kyle echoed, frowning his disapproval. Jayne nodded as she pulled him into a hug and kissed his forehead. Somehow, he felt instantly at ease now.

“You look like a Karen to me. Besides, this is part of the experiment! I promise you won’t be laughed at or teased or anything. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” She grinned, and Kyle, now Karen just had to laugh. He couldn’t help it. Jayne was the last person he expected to know the Pinkie Pie Swear.

Karen turned to start for the back door by way of the kitchen, and then paused right at the doorway. He looked back at Jayne, who smiled softly at him. “How long do I gotta stay like this?” he asked quietly.

Jayne shrugged her shoulders. “That depends on you, honeydew. If you behave yourself for the next hour, then if you want, I’ll let you come back inside and change. Of course if you want to stay like that I won’t force you to change, either,,” she added with a playful wink. “Now go have fun. Be a kid.”

He sighed, defeated. He couldn’t possibly fathom any boy in his right mind wanting to stay like this. Worst of all, he couldn’t prank anyone. He didn’t dare risk it given the backlash and relentless teasing he’d receive, not just from the other kids in the neighborhood, but from the adults too.

As he took his first tentative steps out onto the back patio, he wondered how Jayne could possibly make a guarantee like that. The only hope he could cling to was the knowledge that he still had an ace up his sleeve - if he still had sleeves - to call the cops if things got any weirder than this.

All those delightful thoughts of sending Jayne to prison though, disappeared entirely when he realized he wasn’t alone. He stood motionless as Cherie watched from the patio table, sipping a glass of iced tea, with an incredibly broad smirk on her face. She had pulled her golden blonde hair into a cute ponytail with an aqua colored butterfly clip.

“Hi, I’m Cherie,” she said simply, as if introducing herself for the first time. “What’s your name?”

“You know who I am,” “Kyle” started to snap, but, as if Jayne were standing right behind him, he quickly corrected himself. “Erm... I mean, I’m Karen, I guess...” he mumbled. His cheeks flushed deeply and Cherie giggled as she stood and approached. Much to Karen’s surprise, she reached out her hand to take the frightened boy’s and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

“Jayne says you’re trying something new, and she asked me if I’d help you. If you promise not to be a jerk, I promise I’ll give you another chance. Sound fair?”

Kyle didn’t have many friends, not surprisingly. The only boy his age that tolerated his shenanigans moved away three years ago, when Cherie and her family moved in. Even then, Cherie attended the local private girls’ school, so she had up until now been little more than another target.

“Um... Okay?” Karen answered. Cherie smiled brightly as she pulled her new playmate along toward the old sandbox.

“Great!” she announced. “I know it might feel weird. Kids our age are trying really hard to act grown up. I mean, I even wear makeup sometimes, but can I tell you a secret, Karen?” she asked, as if the past three years of torment had never happened. Karen, dumbfounded, just nodded, waiting until they had reached the sandbox to answer, as Cherie pulled off her matching jelly flats.

“Sure?”

She carefully dipped her toes between the sand. At least the neighborhood cats were wise not to use it as a giant litter box. Most of them were smart enough to steer clear of Kyle’s back yard entirely though, for that matter. Cherie carefully smoothed her sundress as she sat down on one of the old, weathered railroad ties that made up one of the four borders, and smiled up at Karen, patting the spot next to her.

“I don’t want to grow up. I want to be a kid a little bit longer,” she answered thoughtfully. Karen slid her feet out of her shoes and stepped into the sandbox. As she sat beside Cherie, she felt the cool sand work its way up between her toes, and she shivered lightly, burying her feet up to her ankles.

“Why not?” she asked quietly, one finger idly drawing stick figures in the sand between their two sets of legs. Cherie giggled and began a small tic-tac-toe grid, marking an ‘X’ at the top center square.

“Because... Growing up is scary. You know what adults are like. All they do is work, worry about bills, and when they get home they’re too tired to have any fun.” She paused to nudge Karen’s shoulder lightly. Karen, without missing a beat, drew in a little ‘O’ to block the center square.

“Why do you think I love pranking people?” Karen responded. “It’s fun. It’s freakin’ funny too.”

Cherie stopped mid-X to stare at Karen. She frowned. “It might be funny to you, but my parents are out $1500 this year alone - $1600 counting my shoes. The only reason we haven’t called the cops is because of your Mom’s health.” She trailed off, and Karen flinched outwardly.

Cherie frowned again, squeezing Karen’s hand.

“I’m sorry Karen. We’re supposed to be having fun. Let’s talk about something else okay?”

Karen drew a little circle, completing her three ‘O’s, and drew a line through them. Cherie smiled.

“I let you win,” she teased.

Karen smiled a little, sticking her tongue out. “Best two out of three?”

***
Meet your New Daughter?...
***

The two played together for another hour and then some. Time passed so quickly, as the two talked and shared interests, that Karen actually jumped when Jayne called the two inside for dinner. She had ordered a large meat trio pizza with extra cheese.

She also made a calculated move to downplay “Karen” still “visiting”. Not only did she avoid mention of their deal over dinner conversation, she quickly distracted the pair halfway through their meal.

“Eating at the table is fine and all,” she began, catching the girls’ attention with an innocent smile, “But I was thinking, why don’t we move this to the living room? I found some old board games in the closet.” She paused, and a sheepish expression crossed her features.

Karen covered her mouth and tried not to giggle, but giggle she did. “They found you? I SWEAR I didn’t do it. Hall closet’s Dad’s fault.”

Jayne laughed as she ruffled Karen’s hair softly. “I know you didn’t. I was just going to ask if you wanted to play a game while we eat, or maybe drop in a movie.”

She gave the pair a glowing smile, and Cherie almost squealed, squeezing Karen’s hand. “Oh, can we? My friends are all too “grown up” for stuff like board games. Just one? Please?”

Karen, caught between the two physically and metaphorically, slowly nodded. What harm could it do? Cherie was cute, and actually kind of fun to hang out with, and this way she’d have to stay over a little longer - bonus!

“Yay!” Cherie announced, grabbing her paper plate as Jayne picked up the pizza box and led the pair to the living room. Much to Karen’s own surprise, she found herself carrying all three of their drinks, as well as some napkins. Not only did Kyle never use napkins, but she didn’t remember picking up their glasses in the first place.

Late in the evening, as Karen found herself helping Jayne clean up, Cherie yawned sleepily.

“I’d better get home. I have to be in bed by ten, and I still need to get a shower. Thank you so much for having me over, Jayne!” she said cheerfully as she hugged the teenager. Karen ignored the exchange at first, walking into the kitchen to dispose of their paper plates, and dump the glasses in the sink.

“You’re welcome,” Jayne replied. “Thank you for helping me with this,” she added in a hushed tone.

Cherie giggled as Karen emerged from the kitchen again, and pulled her into a tight hug, kissing her lips softly: both Kyle’s and Cherie’s first kiss. Karen’s jaw dropped slightly, and Cherie, smiling brightly, hugged her again. “And thank you for having me over, Karen. We should so do this again sometime.”

“Maybe tomorrow?” Karen answered without really thinking.

“Sure!” Cherie replied happily. She waved as she stepped out the door - just as Karen’s parents entered.

“Well!” her father replied, startled by Cherie’s hasty, and extremely cheerful exit. “What was that-” he started, but seeing Karen, stopped in his tracks.

“What is it-” her mother asked, but she too froze solid. Karen tried to hide behind Jayne, but she, with entirely too little effort for someone so small, easily wrangled Karen around in front of her, wrapping her in a gentle, but secure hug.

“We decided to try a little experiment tonight, to try and channel some of Kyle’s destructive energy. Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence, I’d like you to meet Karen.”

“This is … certainly unexpected,” Jennifer answered slowly. Jayne beamed, quite proud of her work. In a single night she had tamed the most unruly boy in the entire state. That was after all, one reason she chose him....

“Karen has been a perfect little angel. She and Cherie played in the backyard until dinner, and then we watched a movie and played board games. Right Karen?” she asked, looking down. Karen silently nodded. “Why don’t you go and get ready for bed while I talk to your parents, okay sweetie?” She whispered, and planted a soft kiss on Karen’s cheek.

Karen raced off down the hall, more to get away from the humiliation of her parents’ stares than to go back to being Kyle. Meanwhile Jayne held up her hands defensively.

“I know what you’re thinking. ‘Why is my son dressed like a girl’. I know it seems radical, but I think the results speak for themselves. Not only has he not been a problem at all tonight, but I overheard him talking to Cherie when they thought I wasn’t listening. He apologized to her for his latest pranks.”

Jennifer quite literally fainted right there. Scott let out a startled yelp as he raced to catch her. Jayne, frowning, helped him move her over to the sofa.

“Jennifer!” he called, fanning her. “Jenn, are you okay? Sweetie?”

Jennifer’s soft, graying blue eyes fluttered open. “Oh... I’m sorry, did I faint again?” she asked groggily. “I had the strangest dream. Jayne was telling us about how well-behaved our ‘daughter’ was tonight.”

Jayne exchanged a glance with Scott. He cleared his throat. “That wasn’t a dream, honey. Kyle - or Karen I suppose?” he asked, giving Jayne a confused glance. She shot him a reassuring smile as she nodded cheerfully. “... actually apologized to Cherie.”

As Jennifer slowly sat up, a loud crash could be heard from elsewhere in the house. Jennifer’s eyes widened, as if she knew the sound without even seeing it. Quick as a flash, she leapt to her feet and raced for the hallway. Kyle, dressed in a plain t-shirt and pajama bottoms, toothbrush in-hand, stared in wide-eyed terror.

“My vase!” Jennifer screeched. “That was my mother’s! Kyle, what am I going to do with you?”

“But I didn’t! I mean-” he tried to argue.

“That’s enough, young man,” his father bellowed. “Bed. Now.”

Jayne watched, seemingly helplessly, as he gave her a forlorn glance before turning to trudge back upstairs.

Scott exhaled a long, drawn out sigh as he pulled his wife close and kissed her forehead softly. This night had been so perfect, with dinner and a romantic movie, and a moonlit stroll in the park, only to come home and find Kyle actually behaving himself, but now it seemed, reality was crashing in around them once more.

“Oh Scott, what are we going to do with him?” she wept into his chest, irreparable fragments of family heirloom scattered across the floor. No one could possibly have noticed the kitchen window slowly slide itself open and shut again.

Jayne quietly stepped closer. She put on her best ‘concerned babysitter’ demeanor before speaking. “Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence … May I make a suggestion?”

The pair quietly turned their gaze on the young babysitter. With practiced poise, and all too much professionalism for someone so young, she launched into her presentation. “You saw for yourselves how well-behaved your son was as Karen. The second he changed, ‘Kyle’ returned. Maybe we need to send Kyle on a little vacation for awhile, and let his cousin Karen stay here?”

Jennifer slowly turned to her husband, shaking her head. “I... I don’t know about this, Scott.”

Jayne was only just getting started, though. “I know it sounds crazy, but I’ve already spoken to some of your neighbors while the kids were playing. I know how much damage Kyle’s done. They’d be willing to forgive it, and even chip in to help if someone were to, say, help him achieve a complete 180.” She paused to frown thoughtfully. “And Halloween is this Saturday...”

“Worst night of the year,” Scott groaned, “But you’re talking about forcing him to be a girl all the time, right?” he asked with a concerned frown. “That can’t be healthy for a boy his age.”

“Well, you have to understand where I’m coming from. I grew up with six older brothers who all resented me for being the ‘baby’ of the family, and their sister.” She lied, “Mom had to find creative ways to punish them because she didn’t believe in just senselessly beating them.”

Now she was going in for the kill.

“What about school?” Jennifer asked. “Kyle can’t attend school as a girl. The other kids would tear him apart after what he’s done to at least half of them.”

“My aunt Theresa is the Headmistress of St. Claire’s Girls’ Academy. I can ask her to let Karen attend school there. And before you say anything, yes, I know it’s ridiculously expensive, but if you ask Cherie’s mother I’m sure she’ll give Karen a glowing reference for financial aid.”

She reached out to touch Scott’s shoulder gently, and an almost comforting sense of warmth washed over him as she concluded. “It doesn’t have to be forever. We just need to give Kyle time to sort out these feelings he’s dealing with. In the meantime St. Claire’s has a fantastic guidance counselor with Masters degrees in child psychology.”

“Well, I suppose...” Scott trailed off, turning to Jennifer. “But I might just still be upset over losing a thousand dollars’ worth of liquor.”

Jennifer stifled a laugh. “You know you were never going to drink that bottle of scotch anyway.”

“No, but it was in my family for years-” he cut himself off as he glanced down at the shattered vase. “... Okay, we’ll do it.”

“Great. I just need to go next door and borrow something from Cherie for Karen to wear tonight. Tomorrow, we’ll take her shopping for her new uniform, and while she’s out of the house, ‘Dad’ can redecorate her room. Don’t worry - I have everything you’ll need back at my house. I was a total girly girl, and I didn’t have the heart to throw any of it away so I saved it. For Karen I’m more than happy to let her use my old furniture.”

“How much do we owe you for sitting tonight?” Jennifer asked.

Jayne shrugged her shoulders. “At first I was going to charge you guys my usual fee of $3.50 an hour plus $2 per incident, but since Karen’s turning into a long-term project, and I really want to see her blossom and get beyond this grubby juvenile delinquent phase, I can’t accept any money from you. There’ll be other sitting jobs, but a kid I can actually help comes along once in a lifetime.”

She grinned at the dumbfounded parents, quite proud of herself. Everything was moving along exactly according to her plans.

Meanwhile, Kyle sat on the edge of his bed. He knew the adults were talking downstairs, but there was just no way he could hear them way up here. The thought to lock the door crossed his mind, but his father was so angry, that mental images of him busting the door down genuinely terrified him too much to do anything but sit and wait.

He nearly jumped out of his pajamas when a gentle knock came. He didn’t answer, so Jayne called gently. “Honeydew, it’s Jayne. Can I come in?”

“I guess,” he answered quietly.

Jayne slowly stepped inside, holding up her empty hands to show she came in peace. “Do you want to talk about what happened downstairs?”

“Jayne, I SWEAR, I didn’t do it. I went to get my toothbrush from the downstairs bathroom, and I heard the crash, and when I came out to see what it was, Mom came running.”

Jayne frowned softly. “Are you really sure that’s what happened?” she asked as she stepped closer. “Are you sure you didn’t accidentally brush it on your way past? Or maybe you did it intentionally?”

Her tone, despite her words, didn’t sound accusing at all. Further, she reached out to stroke his cheek, and a calming warmth washed over his body. She smiled.

“Maybe Karen just wanted to stay a little bit longer? Put your panties back on, sweetie. I’ve got a surprise for you.”

It was at this point that Kyle realized he never actually took them off to begin with. He waited until Jayne stepped out of the room, however briefly, to quickly strip, holding his t-shirt in front of him as she returned. He nearly dropped the t-shirt, staring absolutely mortified at Jayne as she reappeared.

In one hand, she held a bundle of silky-looking cloth, which he ignored in favor of the clothes hanger in her other hand, containing without question, the frilliest pink party dress that he had seen in his entire life.

Without a word, she carefully hung the dress on the small coat hook suspended from his closed door before turning back to him and unfurling the cloth in her hands, revealing a lacy, white satin nightgown.

“You’re not really gonna make me wear that thing are you?” he asked, pointing at the party dress. She smiled softly as she approached.

“Arms up, honeydew,” she instructed. For whatever reason, he found himself complying, and raised his arms, dropping the t-shirt. She quickly draped the short-sleeved nightgown over his head. The lace-trimmed hem fell neatly about his ankles, and she motioned for him to sit. She sat down beside Karen, taking her hand and bringing it up to kiss her palm.

“It’s one of Cherie’s. I borrowed it to help reinforce what’s going to happen if you misbehave further. I’m trying to help you, honeydew, but you’ve got to work with me, too. If you can behave yourself, I won’t make you wear that dress tomorrow. If, however, Kyle tries anything, you’ll be having lunch with me at an upscale restaurant - in that adorable little number.”

Her sweet smile and gentle gaze met Karen’s terrified stare, and she pulled her into a hug. She easily scooped Karen up off her feet and tucked her into bed. “Oh, and one last thing. If you try to hide or destroy it, I’ll have to tell your parents what you stole from Cherie. Don’t make this any worse for yourself, okay?” she pleaded in a whisper just next to Karen’s ear. “Sleep, honeydew,” she added, and kissed her forehead. “Tomorrow’s a new day.”

Just like that, Karen’s eyes fluttered shut, and she drifted off to sleep. Jayne giggled to herself. “All too easy... Now for phase two,” she mused in a dark, frigid tone. She paused at the door to admire the party dress. “It really is a pretty dress. Shame I can’t make you wear it... Yet.”

She pulled the door open and smiled as Jennifer approached. “She’s sleeping,” Jayne whispered, pulling the door closed. “But I talked to her about what happened. It might have been an accident, but she seemed nervous. I think she might have wanted to stay ‘Karen’ for a little bit longer.”

Jennifer sighed softly. “Well, she can ‘stay’ Karen for as long as she wants now. I still don’t like this, but the results speak for themselves. Jayne, you’re an absolute miracle-worker.” She pulled the teen into a gentle hug. Jayne smiled brightly.

“Aww. I’m just so glad I can help. With you being sick it’s probably taking its toll on her. She just needs to redirect that energy into positive things, and being ‘Karen’ gives her an outlet for her misplaced anger.”

“I feel guilty,” Jennifer replied as the pair started back downstairs. “She knows I’m getting worse every day. There’s nothing she or anyone can do about it.” Jennifer trailed off slowly. It only just hit her that she had been calling her son ‘she’ this entire conversation. “I’m sorry. This pronoun stuff is going to take some getting used to.”

“It’s okay. It’ll be easier once she’s Karen full-time, and has a wardrobe to reflect that. In the meantime, is there anything I can do for you? Do you need medications or anything?”

Jennifer smiled sadly. “It’s the medicine that makes me weak like this, but without it I’d be in too much pain to move. It’s a tradeoff. Unless you really are a miracle-worker, I’m afraid it’s just something I have to live with.”

Jayne frowned softly. As they reached the bottom of the stairs, she wrapped Jennifer in a hug, and a few stray tears rolled down her cheeks. “I’m so sorry. I wish there was something more I could do. But I promise you won’t even recognize Kyle when this is all over.”

Jennifer laughed softly. “I won’t lie to you, Jayne. I’m at my wit’s end with that boy. I wouldn’t mind if he stayed a girl forever, if it meant no more visits from the boys in blue.” She paused, and began to sob, large tears streaming down her cheeks. “Does that make me a terrible mother?”

“Oh, Mrs. Lawrence, of course it doesn’t,” Jayne answered, quickly ushering her into the kitchen. She pulled down two ceramic coffee mugs, as well as the battered old tea kettle. “You’re frustrated. It’s understandable,” she continued, as she set the kettle on the range top and then turned back to Jennifer.

The woman blinked. She didn’t seem to remember Jayne filling the kettle with water, but she ignored it. She was tired, and upset, and such a mundane thing was easy to miss in her condition.

“We’ve literally tried everything: therapists, threats of military school, every kind of punishment you can imagine... We even let him spend a night in jail once. Do you know what happened?”

Jayne quietly shook her head, and Jennifer laughed dryly, almost bitterly.

“He learned how to pick locks! He wasn’t even put with anyone else, for God’s sakes!”

Jayne recalled that night well. She hated disguising herself as a man, but it was worth it for the payoff. This day had been a long time coming, and Kyle’s soul energy and rebellious nature were exactly what she needed in a daughter.

She smiled reassuringly as she picked up the kettle by its handle and carefully poured the boiling water over tea bags in the two mugs.

“Sugar?” she asked.

“Yes, please. My one vice is that I love my tea extra sweet,” she chuckled wryly. Jayne giggled.

“Oh, me too. I can’t drink it without at least four teaspoons’ worth.” She handed Jennifer one of the mugs, and raised the other. “To Karen?”

“To the first good night’s sleep I’ll have had in years,” Jennifer answered softly. Jayne laughed as their mugs clanked softly together. Scott was nowhere to be found. He seemed to be giving the women some peace. After all, Jayne was now the closest thing to a family friend they’d had since Kyle entered this awkward phase..

“Thank you again for everything you’re doing. I swear it’s almost as if you planned all this.” Jennifer laughed again, and in the next room, Scott smiled. It felt good to hear his wife laugh again.

“Oh, it’s no trouble Mrs. Lawrence. I did my research before accepting this job, so I knew what I was getting into, plus talking to the neighbors earlier tonight. I didn’t expect Karen to take to our little experiment so easily though.”

“When she was little, I think she wanted to be a girl,” Jennifer exhaled slowly. Jayne’s brows quirked slightly. She was genuinely surprised by this little bit of information. A certain imp would receive the thrashing of a lifetime for not informing her, but for now, she slowly lowered her cup. This new territory warranted further exploration.

“You mean she actually said it?”

“Well no, not at first,” Jennifer trailed off. “But she didn’t really have any interest in boys’ toys. You’ve seen that old sandbox out in the back yard haven’t you?”

Jayne nodded. “I sent the girls out there to play earlier,” she answered casually, taking a gamble that this was going somewhere important. Jennifer stared back at Jayne for a moment.

“She used to spend hours building sand castles out there. I remember when she was five, right before I got sick... I was planting azaleas. I happened to look up, and she was sitting next to the biggest, most beautiful sand castle I’ve ever seen a child create. She must have used half the sand in the box... And she was waving. Not at me, but just … moving her hand slowly, gracefully.”

Jennifer paused, taking another slow sip of her tea. Scott had been about to step into the kitchen to get a broom, to sweep up the remnants of the vase, but stopped short, listening.

“... When I asked her what she was doing, she excitedly said ‘I’m a princess, Mommy!’ I...” she stopped herself, and started to sob. “I told her boys can’t be princesses. She frowned, kicked her sand castle down, and stormed off. Oh God.”

“Hey, hey,” Jayne set her cup down, pulling Jennifer into a hug. “It’s okay. You didn’t know.”

“That’s when it started,” she sobbed. “That’s when she turned into a little terror. It’s only gotten worse since then. It’s my fault she’s so miserable!”

“It’s nobody’s fault,” Jayne answered with a kind of genuineness to her tone that surprised even her. “You reacted the way you felt you should have. But this means that she’ll have a chance to explore that now, right?”

“Mm-mm?” Jennifer sniffed.

“This is perfect,” she blurted, a little too excitedly. She quickly corrected herself. “I mean, if Karen has these latent curiosities about being a girl, then this gives her a chance to explore that fully, without any guilt because her “evil babysitter” - i.e. me, is forcing her to dress like a girl.” She grinned, and Jennifer managed a weak laugh, and a small smile.

“You’re hardly evil,” she answered softly. “That honor goes to Momma Dream Crusher here.”

“We all have our demons, Mrs. Lawrence,” Jayne answered soberly. “Even me.” The response caught Jayne by surprise as much as it did Jennifer, but rather than press the subject, the older woman simply shook her head.

“From now on, young lady, I want you to call me Jennifer, alright? No more of this “Mrs. Lawrence” business.”

Jayne smiled brightly. “Yes ma’am. I should get going though. We have a big day tomorrow.”

“Before you go... I know you said you didn’t want us to pay you, but at least let me give you something?”

Jayne shook her head quickly. “You’ve given me a lot to think about Jennifer,” she answered. Her enigmatic tone gave the woman pause, but her reassuring smile dispelled it just as quickly. “I’ll see you first thing tomorrow. Someone’ll be here with a moving van to unload the furniture shortly after we leave. They’ll put Karen’s old furniture into storage in place of mine so it’s no big deal. Just exchanging one bedroom set for a much girlier one.”

And with that, she turned to leave.

Scott emerged from the hallway and immediately Jennifer raced to him, burying her face in his chest. She tried, incoherently, to explain, but he shook his head, kissing her forehead. “Jenn, it’s okay. I heard it all, and it’s okay.”

“No, it’s not okay!” she cried. “My baby hates me!”

“She doesn’t hate you,” he whispered. It felt odd to him, saying ‘she’, but even if there was no truth to this revelation, the results did speak for themselves, so he had committed himself to adjusting. “She’s just a confused, frustrated kid who doesn’t even know what she’s so frustrated about. She’s a rebel without a cause - or a clue.”

Jennifer laughed weakly at that. “Maybe you’re right... Either way things can’t possibly get any worse, can they?”

Scott smiled reassuringly. “Not from where I’m standing, they can’t. Let’s get you to bed. I think this is the first sound night’s sleep I’ll have had in years.”

Jennifer gave an exhausted nod, leaning into Scott’s embrace, as he carefully led her upstairs.

Outside, Jayne walked alone, to the end of the block. There in the street light, a cackling voice hissed.

“You’re getting too close to this one... I almost believed those tears-” it tried to taunt her, until, with lightning reflexes, she thrust out her fist, clamping thin air with a vice-like grip. The voice gargled and sputtered desperately for air.

“You didn’t tell me the kid wanted to be a girl from the beginning.”

“I didn’t know-ACK!” the voice tried to defend itself, but her grip tightened, forcing more gurgling and gasping sounds.

“You don’t get to speak. You don’t get to insult me either. As a matter of fact?”

With a flick of her wrist, a sickening crunch echoed through the otherwise empty street. A hideously grotesque, sickly green, malformed creature that would have stood about two feet tall, with mottled wings growing out of its back that ended in razor-like talons, crumpled to the ground. It looked as though the creature had already suffered its share of abuse and then some, with numerous scars and burns across its body.

“You don’t even get to live,” she icily snarled. As she sauntered away, a flicker of a shadow nothing like her current form cast itself in the street light. It had long, flowing hair, and two large, vaguely batlike wings folded neatly against its back. As the shadow returned to normal, the grotesque little imp’s corpse caught fire, almost instantly burning away to nothing but ashes.

***
Interlude
***

“Whoa, ferocious!” Josh blurted. Kristina couldn’t help smiling at the interruption. It meant the least likely person she expected there to be paying attention, was probably the most interested.

“So what happened?” the dark-haired girl asked curiously.

“Well, as you can imagine ‘Karen’,” she emphasized the name using finger quotes, “Wasn’t exactly ready for what happened next. Everything was moving entirely too fast for her, and by Tuesday she had a whole new life thrust on her. She was attending St. Claire’s girls’ school, where Cherie was the only person she knew, and there were physical changes taking hold too.”

“That’s terrifying,” Denise replied quietly.

Marie cleared her throat next, asking, “Before you go on can I ask you something?” she asked softly. Kristina nodded for her to go ahead, and she bit her lip. “Is that how you feel at school? Constantly afraid one of us’ going to say something mean, or worse?”

“Honestly? Yeah, I do,” Kristina trailed off slowly. She felt the raven-haired girl’s arm around her, and leaned into the sudden hug just a little as she continued. “All I want is to be treated like any other girl. I want to have friends and go out on weekends, normal teenager stuff. Being transgender isn’t contagious. It’s a physical deformity. My brain is literally, physically, closer to yours than Josh’s or Brent’s,” she added, now that she finally had remembered the other boy’s name.

Brent laughed a little. “If it’s any comfort I’m constantly worried about people judging me from my appearance. I mean I’m a computer geek, and I accept that, but I like sports too. Everyone has layers.”

“Anyway...” the unnamed girl interrupted. “What happened to Karen? You said there were physical changes? What kind?”

“The next morning, Karen noticed her hair had gotten longer overnight - not much, but just enough to make her look more feminine. By Sunday, the changes were more extreme, and they were starting to freak her out a little... Meanwhile Jayne was facing her own struggle. You see, Jayne is a kind of demon known as a succubus.”

“You mean a sex demon?” Denise asked, concerned. Kristina nodded.

“Generally speaking, yeah, but don’t worry. This story’s PG.” She grinned, causing everyone to laugh. “But you’ve probably already guessed what she has in mind for Karen. What she wasn’t expecting was for Karen to be like her - a boy who wanted to be a girl, but also having it shoved on her. It brought back memories of her life as a human - memories that were supposed to be wiped away in the process.”

“Ooh... The plot thickens!” the raven-haired girl cackled.

***
Doubt
***

The next morning, Karen woke to her mother gently shaking her. She glanced over at the door, somewhat relieved to see the hideous pink dress had been taken down, but then the realization that she might be blamed for it welled up inside.

“Mmm-mommy I swear I didn’t do it,” she mumbled groggily.

“Didn’t do what, sweetheart?” she asked innocently. “If you mean the dress, I know you didn’t. I hung it in your closet.” She smiled sweetly and leaned down to kiss her forehead. As Karen sat up, she felt a light tickle on the back of her neck, as if her hair had gotten just a little bit longer while she slept.

Strange, new sensations followed as she shifted and moved, and reality came flooding back. Sleeping in a satin nightgown was a strange experience, and perhaps worst of all, she actually found herself enjoying it.

“We’ve got a big day, Princess,” Jennifer whispered, doing everything in her power not to burst into tears.

“Princess?” Karen asked, rubbing her eyes slowly. “Mom, what’re you talking about? Jayne said if I was good I wouldn’t have to wear that dress.”

“I know, but she didn’t say anything about letting you out of being Karen,” she answered. She rehearsed the conversation over and over again with Jayne earlier in the morning, but it still stung. “That vase was a priceless family heirloom, sweetheart. After talking it over with your father, we’ve decided that it’s in your best interest to stay Karen for awhile.”

“I can’t go to school like this!” she blurted immediately, trying to push herself out of bed and simultaneously pulling at her nightgown. It seemed the harder she struggled though, the more the fabric clung to her body. She calmed noticeably as Jayne entered the room.

“You’re not going to school as Karen, honeydew,” she answered gently. “At least, not public school. My aunt is the headmistress at Cherie’s school. I’ve arranged for you to attend there.”

“But that’s a girls’ school...” she tried to protest, but her face fell as she realized where this was going. “Oh.”

“You’ll have a clean slate there. Nobody knows Karen. I know you’re not thrilled with this right now, but remember what I said yesterday - have I misled you yet?”

“No...” Karen answered slowly. “But what if kids from my old school see me?”

Jayne glanced at Jennifer with a knowing smile. “All I see is a pretty young girl. What about you Mom?”

“Oh, I agree. She could pass for Cherie’s twin!”

Jayne giggled just a little and smiled as she pulled Karen into a hug, though this time, she decided to forego the magical influences in favor of a simple kiss on her forehead.

“Cherie’s been generous enough to loan you an outfit to wear today, but we need to get you some things for yourself. We also need to get you fitted for your new school uniform.”

“I promised Cherie we could hang out today,” Karen whined, trying to get out of shopping, but Jayne just smiled.

“Oh, yes, that’s true... I suppose we’ll just have to take her with us. She can help you pick out some nice dresses.”

Karen frowned. That backfired utterly.

“So what do I have to wear today?” she asked hesitantly. Jayne approached the closet, and Karen flinched, expecting the party dress again. Instead Jayne pulled out a cute, if bright, floral print dress with a red plastic belt looped around the waist. Karen found herself admiring it for a brief second or two before giving a reluctant nod. “Okay.”

“I’ll let mother and daughter have a bonding moment,” Jayne teased. “I need to check on breakfast.”

“Breakfast?” Karen asked hopefully. Usually breakfast on a Saturday just meant cold cereal. Scott typically had to work early on Saturdays, and Jennifer barely had the energy these days. Jayne nodded simply.

“You and your mom could both stand to start eating better,” she admonished, giving Jennifer a look before turning to head downstairs.

“Maybe he was right,” she mumbled to herself. “Am I getting too close? … But that girl... She’s just like me,” she sighed. “And Jennifer... Can I really do this to them?” she asked no one in particular, while, upstairs, Jennifer helped Karen with her dress.

“There’s something I need to tell you,” Jennifer began as she stood behind Karen, buttoning her in. “When you were little, I said something awful to you. I wasn’t even thinking when I said it.”

“Mom, it’s okay,” Karen tried to interrupt her. She really wasn’t comfortable with where this was going.

“Let me finish, please,” Jennifer begged. After the last button, she spun Karen around and pulled her into a tight hug. “I told you boys can’t be princesses...” she trailed off. Karen frowned deeply.

“I remember.”

“That’s still true,” she continued, but before Karen could respond, she quickly added, “But I don’t see a boy here. Do you?”

Karen stammered. She couldn’t come up with a response to that, at all, so Jennifer simply pulled her close, kissed her forehead, and smiled through her tears. “Let’s get your shoes on then go eat.”

Karen, without waiting to be told, sat down on the edge of the bed. It was unseasonably warm for being mid-October, so Cherie had loaned Karen a pair of sandals to wear. They had a slight one inch heel though, so once they were firmly strapped into place, she had a bit of trouble walking downstairs.

Jayne had two plates ready, with two large scrambled eggs each, and three pieces of bacon, as well as a glass of orange juice and a glass of milk each, when the pair entered the dining room. She glanced up with a smile.

“Karen, you look adorable.”

“Doesn’t she though?” Jennifer echoed with a proud smile as she reached for her chair. Karen quickly pulled it out for her and smiled quietly as she took her seat. She hadn’t realized it, but both Jayne and Jennifer noticed when she crossed her ankles, but neither commented on it.

“Aren’t you eating too?” Karen asked. Jayne quickly shook her head.

“Oh, no. I had a big meal last night. I’m still stuffed.” That little imp was surprisingly tasty. Perhaps it was just the side of vengeance though. Instead, she sat, quietly sipping a cup of coffee, losing herself in thought. Everything was already set up. She had blackmailed the headmistress to pose as her aunt, and enough dirt on the neighbors to keep Karen safe for years if she chose. Now all that was left was to decide.

***
Something's Not Right
***

“There’s no question. You’re growing boobs, Karen,” Cherie said thoughtfully. The late Sunday afternoon sun filtered in around the new, dusty rose lace curtains over the window as the two sat on the edge of a four post bed. Even the carpet, once dark navy, had been pulled up and replaced with soft plush pink.

Karen sighed, defeated as she slumped into the pink, lace-frilled comforter. There used to be a dark blue one with Spider-Man slinging a web at the Green Goblin on it. “I’m telling you, she’s doing this to me. Maybe she put something in my food?”

“I doubt it. I’ve watched her cook, and I know you have too.”

Karen blushed deeply. “Shut up. She looks cute in an apron,” Karen tried to defend herself. In reality, she was trying to learn to cook by watching. Karen had been around almost constantly that weekend, and this afternoon was her first free moment to talk to Cherie in private, so she had plenty of opportunity for it.

“So do you,” Cherie giggled quietly as she gave Karen’s shoulder a playful poke. “Tell you what; my older brother was really into spy gadgets and stuff. He’s off at college, but he left his junk in the attic. We can like, borrow some of it and go spy on her?”

Karen perked up for a moment, but then she frowned and shook her head. “My parents won’t let me out of their sight. I can’t even sneak out. They’re too afraid of ‘Kyle’ coming back.”

“I’ll tell them we’re taking you to get your nails done to help with the illusion when you start at my school.”

Karen flinched at being reminded. The new uniform fit like a glove. Worst of all, she actually liked how she looked in the skirt, but it was all happening too fast. Some part of her loved being treated like a girl by everyone, but this was too much too quickly. “Won’t they know something’s wrong when I come back without painted nails?”

Cherie rolled her eyes as if she had just asked if the sky were blue. “Duh. We’ll go get your nails done then conveniently swing by Jayne’s house on the way home.”

“You’re enjoying this way too much,” Karen stated flatly as she stood, unconsciously flattening her dress. This caused Cherie to giggle.

“You don’t even realize it do you?” she asked. Karen glanced back at her with a confused expression, and Cherie shook her head. “Nothing. Anyway, consider this payback for ruining my shoes. Now come on. Let’s go talk to your parents; I’ve been eyeing a sparkly Barbie pink nail polish that I think will look fantastic with your skin tone.”

As the two stood, Cherie added, “Um, by the way, did you dye your hair?”

Karen blinked, even more confused. She slowly shook her head, and as she started to ask why Cherie would even ask such a ridiculous question, she caught a glimpse of herself in the full length mirror by her new dresser. Not only was her hair a full two inches longer than it was a day ago, it was much lighter and had a faint red tinge. “... I think I’m losing my mind.”

“It must be contagious,” Cherie quipped, but without her usual cheer. She squeezed Karen’s hand and pulled her into a hug. “Whatever’s going on here, I believe you, and I’ll help you get to the bottom of it, okay? You’re not crazy, and you’re not alone.”

Karen smiled faintly as she nodded. “I’m … really sorry about-” she started, but Cherie put a finger to her lips and smiled. “You’ve already apologized three times. Just... don’t ever do it again, and we’ll call it even okay? I’ve really enjoyed getting to know the new you. Even if you reverted to being a jerk again, I’ll always have the memories of a BFF who ‘gets’ me.”

She grinned, pulling Karen along toward the door.

***
Stakeout
***

“How do you even know where she lives?” Karen asked, as the pair stepped off the city bus. Cherie shrugged and smiled. “Hey, just because I’m all girly and junk doesn’t mean I’m not resourceful. C’mon, it’s the house on the end.”

As they walked down the sidewalk, Karen began to notice something, or to be more accurate a lack of something. It was a brisk October afternoon, and though many leaves had fallen from the trees, there were still more than enough for the wind to rustle, but it seemed almost dead around them. No dogs barking, no traffic, no birds chirping, no wind.

“Hey Cherie...?”

Cherie didn’t respond. Instead she slid her heavy purple backpack off her shoulders as she knelt behind the bushes in front of the old house. Karen quickly joined her, as she retrieved two pair of high powered binoculars, as well as a strange device that resembled a hand-held satellite dish.

“Listening device,” Cherie whispered, offering one of a set of earbud headphones to Karen. She nodded, sliding it into her ear as Cherie did the same, and both took up a pair of binoculars. The house was dark, and at first they could only hear a muffled conversation, but as if by magic, things suddenly became clearer.

“Little Jaynie, have you seen Kipthop?” a sweet, young-sounding voice asked.

Jayne answered, irritated, “It took you two days to notice? I ate him Mother,” she stated matter-of-factly.

“You what?!” the second voice bellowed, but calmed almost immediately. “I realize he got on your nerves, which is precisely why I let you use him for target practice, however he was a useful tool.”

“Tool being the operative word, Mother. When a tool no longer becomes useful, you find a new use for it. He botched my plans,” she explained.

Cherie nudged Karen, pointing up. On the second floor, staring out of the window facing the road, stood a pale figure with long, purple hair. As the figure spoke, Jayne’s voice could be heard over the listening device, and Karen gasped.

“All he had to do was knock over a vase and get out, but he couldn’t even do THAT,” she lied. “So I used him for a midnight snack.” She didn’t dare turn around. She knew she’d be caught in her lie if she did, so she pretended to stare out the window.

“Besides, everything’s going as planned. You have Jennifer’s life energy to sustain you, and I’ll have a new daughter soon. All Hallow’s Eve is almost here.”

Suddenly a glint of light caught her attention. The sunlight reflected off the girls’ binoculars, and she smiled broadly, revealing a mouthful of fangs, as she stared directly at the girls. “Excuse me a moment, Mother. It seems we have guests.”

“Uh oh,” Karen whispered. Cherie didn’t say anything, but she was breathing shallowly, as if gripped by mortal terror. Karen lowered her binoculars and glanced over, to find Cherie staring face-to-snout with an angry-looking black chow. The creature growled, its stained yellow fangs showing. Its hot breath smelled of the worst kind of rot, as Karen slowly stood, grabbing Cherie by the arm and pulling her to her feet very slowly.

The dog took a step forward, and the girls cautiously, slowly backed away.

“Lobo, down,” Jayne commanded from the front steps, now looking just as human as ever. The dog immediately lowered its head, and Cherie frantically rushed to hide the spy gear in her backpack.

The dog snorted at the two before turning to prance away harmlessly around the side of the house, as Jayne approached. The two stared, too afraid to move, too afraid to speak, until she stood in front of them, and pulled them into a hug.

“I’m sorry if he scared you,” she cooed, setting them both immediately at ease. She kissed each girl lightly on the forehead. “Was there something you needed? Do you want to come inside? I was just baking cookies with my Mom,” she added with a sweet smile.

Karen shook her head quickly. “No, we really can’t stay. We um,” she tried to think of a lie, but for the first time in her life, had nothing.

“We were just on our way home from the mall, and we wanted to say thank you for everything you’ve done for Karen the last couple of days.” She grabbed Karen’s hand, pulling it up for Jayne to inspect her new, sparkling pink manicure. Each nail bore a letter in white, that taken together, spelled out ‘Barbie Girl” in perfect cursive from pinkie to pinkie. Jayne giggled.

“Oh, Karen!” she squealed as she swept the poor girl up off her feet in a hug before setting her down again. “That’s adorable! I’m thrilled that you’re finally enjoying yourself, Honeydew.” She kissed Karen’s forehead and smiled brightly as she turned to head back inside. Karen and Cherie took the opportunity to bolt in a dead sprint back up the sidewalk. They didn’t stop until they had reached the bus stop, gasping and panting for air.

“They’re the reason my Mom is sick,” Karen said in a shaky, uneven tone.

“What ARE they?” Cherie asked no one in particular. “We need to do some research. But we can’t let on that we know. Let’s go to school tomorrow like nothing’s wrong.”

“We’ve got to tell someone!” Karen squeaked.

“I’m pretty sure the police aren’t going to believe us. Let’s face it Karen, you look more and more like a thirteen year old girl by the hour, and even if we did somehow convince an adult to believe us, who’s to say they wouldn’t get to them too?”

Karen glowered as she slumped onto the bus stop bench. “You’re right. We can’t put anybody else in danger. But what am I gonna do?”

Cherie sat down beside her and pulled her into a hug. “I told you, we need to do some research. I’ll look around online tonight. I can’t promise anything because we have that cybersitter software on my laptop and the main computer, but we can try the public library after school tomorrow.”

“What about that name … Kipthop?” Karen asked. Cherie shrugged slowly. To her mind, there was no question they were dealing with something evil here, but she was conflicted. After all Karen was becoming a much better person. How could that be bad? Did it make her a bad person that she wanted Karen to stay Karen?

As the bus rolled to a stop, they stood and quickly boarded, with a silent glance exchanged, a promise unspoken, not to speak a word of this to anyone.

***
An Unexpected Ally
***

Apart from adjusting to new teachers and classmates, all of whom treated Karen as just another girl, some even welcoming her into their social circles, her first day at St. Claire’s passed uneventfully. Every chance she could find, she visited the library to try and find some information, but unsurprisingly, the school library was absent of a section on demons and ancient evils, and the internet filters ensured that they found little useful online, other than a Dungeons and Dragons monster name generator.

By Tuesday Karen was getting desperate. She no longer looked anything like her old self, and in fact, seemed to be acting less and less like her old self. Worst of all, nobody else even noticed the physical changes, except of course Cherie. The two had decided to try the public library Wednesday afternoon, but when Kristina wasn’t where she promised Cherie she would be, she became very worried and went to look for her.

She found her, giggling and gossiping with Cherie’s and her friends outside the gym.

“Cherie, there you are!” Karen bubbled. “Mindy’s having a huge Halloween party this Friday! You are going right?”

“Um, yeah,” Cherie answered hesitantly. “But don’t forget we’ve also got that thing, too...”

“Oh come on, Cherie! You totally flaked on my last boy-girl party. Please tell me you’re not backing out of this one too?” the brown-haired girl whined.

“No, I’ll be there. You know how much I love Halloween. BFFs right?” she asked. Mindy smiled and hugged her.

“Totes. I’ve gotta go though. Mom’s picking me up. I’ll text you tonight!” she called as she raced off, waving haphazardly. As the others dispersed, Karen giggled a little.

“Oh my God, my first boy girl party. This is going to be so cool!” she squealed. Cherie frowned softly, and Karen turned to stare at her. “What? Oh, I haven’t forgotten about Jayne. Evil witch, gotta stop her, grr.”

Cherie shook her head slowly. “Would you listen to yourself? Even Mindy’s not this vapid! Focus, Karen! We need to stop Jayne. They’re responsible for your mom being sick, remember?”

That got Karen’s undivided attention. It almost seemed as if a veil of fog was lifting, and she scowled. After a few seconds she nodded, and then hugged Cherie. “Oh my God, what was I thinking?” she whispered quietly. Cherie shook her head.

“It’s not your fault. It’s Jayne. At first I thought this whole thing was adorable. I loved what you were becoming because you were actually a lot of fun to be around, but now it’s starting to scare me. This is wrong, and we have to stop it.”

Karen hesitantly replied, “But … Is it so bad not wanting to go back to being the boy everyone hates?”

“Of course not,” Cherie answered quickly. “But you don’t need magic for that. Karen, I don’t think it was Jayne that made you be nice to me that first night. It was only today that I started noticing this … fake you coming out, after we got caught spying on her.”

Karen nodded soberly. “Let’s get to the library. The sooner we find some answers the sooner we can stop Jayne and the other girl.” She added quietly as they started down the empty hallway together, “But I’m keeping my new stuff,” she added with a quiet, more natural giggle, which caused Cherie to laugh.

The girls had already worked everything out with their parents. They would check in with the librarian every half hour, and call home from there so that the public library would show up on their Caller ID. If they were going to get any research in, they needed to reassure their parents that they really were at the library ‘studying’ - even if it wasn’t school work they were reading.

By six-thirty, the girls had already gone through a stack of books, with no end in sight, when Jayne’s voice broke the dead silence of their surroundings.

“Ancient Mythology...” They looked up sharply, gasping in unison to find Jayne sitting on the edge of the table with an open book in hand, skimming it idly. “Deep subject for girls your age isn’t it?” she teased, but her facial features were practically unreadable as to what was going on behind those calculating eyes. Outwardly she wore as friendly a smile as ever.

“We were just-” Karen tried to lie, but Jayne slammed the book shut with one hand. With the other, she reached out, placing a delicate finger to Karen’s lips.

“I know what you were looking for, honeydew. That’s why I’m here.”

“What you’re doing to Mrs. Lawrence is wrong!” Cherie exclaimed.

Jayne tilted her head slightly, staring at Cherie. Part of her wanted to backhand the girl for interrupting, but a greater part of her, a part that she believed long dead, resisted that urge, and a sympathetic smile crossed her lips as she withdrew her finger from Karen’s.

“I wasn’t always a monster you know,” she said softly, as she slid down off the table. She took a seat directly across from the girls. Delicately, she folded her hands, waiting patiently for the girls to take in that statement.

“Why should we believe anything you say?” Karen asked softly. Suddenly, a book was in front of Jayne that wasn’t there before. It was a very old, somewhat weathered yearbook from Karen’s old school, circa 1952. With a wave of her hand, the book opened itself, its pages fluttering past at lightning speed, causing both Karen and Cherie to jump. She slid the book across the table.

Karen and Cherie leaned closer, to see a picture of a rather handsome 16 year old in a leather jacket, standing in front of a 1949 Ford Thunderbird, along with three other boys. His head had been circled, in faded ink, with an arrow, and a signature.

“Love you forever! - Meg”

“My girlfriend, if you’re wondering,” Jayne answered their questioning glances, “Wrote that two weeks before I met ‘Mother’. Meg was the sacrifice that gave me new life, so that I’d forget my old life, and wouldn’t have any ties to it anymore. I chose Jennifer for yours because Cherie wasn’t in the picture yet.”

She stated it so matter-of-factly, as if she were describing how to solve a simple math equation, not toying with human lives, that it sent a shock of rage through Karen’s body such that, had Jayne not held up her hand, she would surely have leapt across the table to strangle her, magic or no.

“You’re a monster!” she cried, and Jayne nodded.

“Yes. I am,” she answered simply. “I’m sorry, Karen.”

Karen froze solid. Jayne’s tone, her posture, everything about her movements seemed to suggest that she genuinely meant it. It was the last thing Karen expected. She sank back into her chair, staring blankly back at her. Cherie spoke up.

“What do you want, exactly? Why are you here, if you didn’t come to stop us?”

“It’s because Karen... reawakened something in me. Something I thought died with Meg.”

“What?” Karen asked, quietly and cautiously. Jayne lowered her gaze thoughtfully.

“My soul.” She glanced up again. “I can’t stay long. Mother will realize I’m up to something if I do. “If you want to find the truth, look for a woman named Claudia Miklos, in a novelty magic shop at the corner of fourth and Elm. Tell her you need a ritual of Banishment. When she asks, show her this.” She then slid a piece of paper across the table. On it, something was written that, to the girls, looked like incomprehensible gibberish. They looked up again, to ask.

And suddenly, Jayne wasn’t there anymore. She didn’t vanish before their eyes. It was simply as if she was never there to begin with. Karen and Cherie slowly turned to stare at each other, as if to silently ask the other if she had really just seen that.

Slowly, they stood, and after returning their books, they started home. Already the sun had set, and their parents would be expecting them very soon, but tomorrow was another day. Unfortunately, Halloween was nearly upon them, and according to the other voice, the one Jayne identified as ‘Mother’, that would be the pivotal night.

***
Madame Claudia
***

Karen thought she had the perfect plan to look for the magic shop Jayne had told them about, but Jennifer’s health had taken a turn for the worse during the night. Jayne would be picking them up. Even in her weakened state though, Jennifer insisted that Jayne take the girls shopping for Halloween costumes.

“I’ve never seen Karen so excited about a party,” she had said. In fact, Kyle had never been invited to any parties - and usually was banned from crashing them. So Jayne reluctantly agreed. She had hoped to keep herself out of the brimstone that was to come, one way or another, but fate had other plans.

“Cheer up, you two,” Jayne insisted, as the girls climbed into the back of her late model electric blue hybrid. “I know a costume store that’s off the beaten path. They’re sure to have what you’re looking for.” She glanced over her shoulder with a wink. “My front left tire’s a little low on pressure so I’ll have to let you shop alone. I hope that’s okay.”

Cherie and Karen looked at each other, dumbfounded. Neither dared say a word, and Jayne just snickered under her breath as they pulled away from the imposing edifice that was St. Claire’s.

She let the girls out in front of a costume shop, at a little four-way intersection. Directly across the way stood another, much older building, “Herbs and Spice.” The shop windows were decorated with beautiful, dark velvet curtains contrasting various knick nacks, jewelry, and even a stuffed raven on a perch. It was Cherie who realized first, and pointed up at the street sign.

“Let’s go check it out?” she asked, hopeful that Karen’s head was still clear. Karen nodded enthusiastically.

“Hello?” Karen called, as the pair entered. “Mrs. Miklos?”

“Call me Claudia, but I am unmarried, so “Miss”, if you must,” a young woman’s voice called. She had a very slight Eastern European tone to her voice, at least to the girls’ ears. A moment later, a brown-haired woman in her early twenties. She wore a loose-fitting white peasant blouse and a long skirt, as well as a brightly colored kerchief in her hair. She looked every bit the stereotypical gypsy, which on any other day would have made either girl chuckle, but today, they stared in awkward silence.

“Come to browse my books, or is it something more that you require - a popularity charm, perhaps?”

Karen’s eyes lit up, and for a moment, she seemed to forget why she was there. “Wow, really?”

But a sharp glance from Cherie seemed enough to clear her thoughts. She cleared her throat. “We were told you could help us - well, help me. I... Um, I don’t really know how to explain it. My babysitter told me to give this to you.”

She carefully took the folded paper from her backpack. She approached and extended it to the woman, who at first, unfolding the note, gave it only a cursory glance. After a second, more careful examination though, she dropped the paper and took three full steps back, staring, scowling at Karen.

“Who sent you? I want a name!” she demanded angrily.

“Jayne!” Karen squealed, frightened. “She’s my babysitter, and she’s turning me into a girl!”

The woman calmed somewhat, as she stepped closer. She was quite careful not to step on the piece of paper, but as well, she didn’t pick it up just yet. She stared intensely at Karen, and several agonizing seconds passed.

“... I see. I’m sorry if I frightened you, child. I know what it is you seek, and it is no small thing. But you said this... Jayne is doing this to you. But she sent you to me as well?”

Cherie spoke up next, even as the woman returned her attention to the paper. She sprinkled what looked to the girls like simple table salt onto the paper, and the writing immediately vanished. She crumpled the paper, tossing it aside.

“We think she feels guilty. We’re not really sure what her deal is, but she’s trying to stop what happened to her from happening to Karen.”

The woman gave Karen a skeptical glance as she asked, “You say this is forced upon you, but your soul and body are coming into alignment, not away from it. Are you sure this is not something that you invoked upon yourself?”

Karen quickly shook her head. “No ma’am. I-it’s something I’ve wanted for as long as I can remember, b-but not like this. I don’t want to be a monster!”

The woman chuckled to herself. “Come with me. You seek a ritual of Banishment, do you not?” she asked, as she disappeared into the back room. Despite how the front of the shop appeared, the room behind the heavy curtain was actually a very modern office area, with another offshoot room stacked with neat rows of shelves and boxes.

“Surprised?” she asked with a grin, glancing back at the pair. “Most of my business is tourists seeking a palm reading, or an alternative remedy for an upset stomach, so I play up the ‘gypsy’ angle. Though it is true, my grandparents were Romani.” She paused again, and turned back to face Karen. “Tell me something. Do you know what it is that you face?”

Karen slowly shook her head. “No idea. All we have is the name of an imp-” she started, but Claudia held up both hands.

“Don’t repeat it,” she said swiftly.

“But it’s dead,” Cherie added. Claudia shook her head. She motioned for the girls to follow again.

“Doesn’t matter. Even in death, a demon’s name has great power. Wielded carelessly, it could bring terrible harm,” she explained. She led the girls into the large stockroom, where she walked down a long row of shelves, stopping near the end. She took down what at first glance, appeared to be a harmless shoe box, but when she opened it, the pungent aroma of dried, sweet herbs filled the air.

“Everything that you will need, except the name of your tormentor - the succubus. These kind of creatures work in pairs always - a mother, and a daughter. When the daughter becomes the mother, then the mother is free, and the cycle begins again.”

“But we know her name,” Karen insisted. The woman shook her head.

“No. You know her chosen name. Besides, if this … Jayne sent you to me, then she might not be the one you wish banished.”

“I knew you’d understand,” Jayne answered cheerfully from the end of the shelf row. The three looked up to see her standing with her arms neatly folded in front of her, leaning against the metal shelving. “Hi Claudia.”

“So you are the demon... I might have known. It was too convenient for one so young to have such knowledge of the Old Ways as yourself.”

“Demon is such a harsh word,” Jayne replied sweetly. “I prefer the term ‘morally ambiguous entity of extraplanar origins’. Of course I had no idea when I started doing my grocery shopping here, that I’d end up coming to you for a Banishment ritual. I love it when a plan falls into place.”

“I am doing this for the child, not for you, creature,” Claudia hissed, but Jayne simply laughed.

“Hey, tell yourself whatever you need to, as long as this works, and I’m free of the hag. I’m not really a bad person.” She paused to giggle vapidly. “Okay, yes, I am, but something’s happening to me, and I can’t decide if I like or hate it. I’m hoping that helping Karen will resolve this inner turmoil.”

“... And if it doesn’t?” Karen asked nervously.

Jayne shrugged softly. “We’ve got all the time in the world to figure it out. I’m right though, aren’t I?” she asked, more hesitantly. Her voice suddenly lost its superior edge. She almost sounded human. “If Karen banishes Mother, then the cycle is broken, I’m free, and she doesn’t have to become my new daughter right?”

Claudia nodded slowly. She sensed the change in Jayne’s tone, and her dimeanor shifted significantly. She approached Jayne, locking her gaze.

“The stink eye doesn’t work on demons, babe.” Jayne stared back at her, but nervously, despite her snide remark. Claudia was unfazed.

“It’s small, but it’s there,” she said, finally. “If I hadn’t seen it for myself, I would never have believed that a demon could reclaim their soul. She must mean a lot to you, Jayne,” she used her chosen name this time, rather than simply calling her ‘creature’ or ‘demon’, and it caught Jayne by surprise.

She started to respond, to snap at Claudia, but a greater resistance washed over her, and she quietly turned to walk away. Claudia remained unmoving until she heard the bell on the front door ring twice, as Jayne walked outside. She turned back to the bewildered girls and smiled.

“I will find the demon’s true name. You girls must prepare. Judging by your uniforms, you both attend St. Claire’s academy, correct?”

Both girls silently nodded, as she handed Karen the box. Once closed again, the scent of herbs seemed to dissipate entirely.

“Excellent. It is a blessed place, and we will have better success there. The gates will be unlocked when you arrive.”

“When?” Karen asked. “I don’t know if I’ll be able to sneak away.”

“Tomorrow night,” she answered. “The ritual is always performed on Halloween night. The Banishment must be performed then.”

“Tomorrow night?” Cherie echoed. “Karen that’s perfect! Jayne’s supposed to take us to Mindy’s party. I bet her ‘mother’ thinks she’ll be keeping an eye on us to make sure we don’t interfere. But with Jayne on our side she can get us to the school without raising suspicions.”

She turned to Claudia and hugged her, and Karen quickly followed suit. “Thanks for all your help, Miss Claudia,” Cherie said warmly.

Karen nodded her agreement, asking after a moment, “... Will I go back to being a boy after all this is over?”

Claudia frowned softly. “I honestly cannot say. Ordinarily, the answer would be an emphatic yes. You would be free from the demon’s curse, and nature would take over, purifying you of the taint. But in your case...” She trailed off, frowning thoughtfully, but Karen nodded.

“It’s okay. I kind of wouldn’t mind staying like this. I just don’t want to be a demon. Come on Cherie. Let’s get our costumes, so your parents don’t get suspicious.”

“Good idea,” Cherie answered. “They’d ask way too many questions if I came home empty-handed. You’re still staying over tonight right?”

“Yeah,” Karen answered, as they left. Unfortunately for them, they were already outside and halfway across the street, too far away to hear Claudia’s startled screams.

***
Endgame
***

Despite the looming darkness, there was some silver lining to be found. It turned out that St. Claire’s had a tradition of students wearing their Halloween costumes to school. Karen was at first reluctant - she had chosen a lavender princess costume, and was nervous about being seen in it at school all day, but Cherie had gotten a soft pink version of the same costume. “We’ll be twins!” she had excitedly insisted.

The idea certainly won Karen over. It was the same comment her mother had made the previous weekend, after all. And Jayne had a special surprise in store for Karen to lift her spirits, as well.

As a sign of good faith, she took the girls by the hospital before school that day. Much to Karen’s surprise, Jennifer seemed to be surprisingly healthy and in high spirits. Jayne seemed more reserved and languid though, by contrast. With promises of being let out of the hospital by Saturday, and a looming end to the demon threat - so Karen thought at least - she found it easy to let go for a day and enjoy herself, and her new life.

That evening though, things changed. Jayne never came to pick the girls up, so they had to take the bus over to the school. Nearby, there were few streetlights on, completely out of the ordinary for the neighborhood. A dread silence seemed to permeate the surroundings, much like the day they went to spy on Jayne.

“I don’t like this...” Karen whispered. Cherie nodded her agreement.

“Miss Claudia said the gate should be unlocked. Do you know where we’re supposed to meet her?”

Karen shook her head. “No. I assumed she’d meet us by the gate,” Karen answered. “Let’s go look for her.”

Cherie nodded, quietly squeezing Karen’s hand as she followed. The pair barely made it past the gate though, when Claudia approached from the shadows of a nearby oak tree. Strangely, the tree seemed much more intimidating now than it had that afternoon. Perhaps it was the ring of unlit candles surrounding it. Looking around, Karen realized the other trees had similar rings.

“Good, you’re here,” Claudia said, though absent her accent now.

“Your voice-” Karen started to ask, and Claudia nodded.

“I only do that stuff for the tourists.” But Karen knew she was lying. Even after Claudia had dropped the ‘gypsy’ act the day before, even as she confronted Jayne, she still had a distinct accent.

“You’re lying,” Karen hissed. She reached into the box, grabbing a small pouch of salt which she flung into Claudia’s eyes. The woman yowled in pain, swinging blindly.

“Let’s go!” Karen shouted, pulling Cherie along as they ran. The gate slammed shut, trapping them on the school grounds, as the candles sprang to life. Between the candlelight and the full moon, they could now better see where they were going. Unfortunately they had no idea where they could run. They could hear ‘Claudia’s’ footfalls and angry shouting in the near distance behind them as they ran.

Eventually they found themselves in the school auditorium. Claudia’s limp body lay in a crumpled heap, bound and gagged with a strip of cloth torn from her skirt, beside what Karen could only guess was some kind of altar.

“You set up the ritual, I’ll untie her,” Cherie instructed. Karen nodded and threw open the box. First she drew a circle of salt, and then began setting out the bowls of incense as prescribed by the scroll they had found in the box the night before.

Cherie meanwhile attempted to revive Claudia, trying everything from pinching and slapping her to shouting in her face to shaking her. The woman’s eyes slowly fluttered open just as Karen finished setting everything up, but a slow, methodical clap from the entryway caused the three to freeze.

An attractive young woman, just slightly older than Jayne, but remarkably like her in appearance save for the darker auburn hair, slowly approached the stage. “Well done, children,” she announced coldly. She was the owner of the second voice Jayne had called ‘Mother’ before.

“It’s a good thing I decided to keep an eye on my little Jayne, or else you might have actually succeeded.” She laughed grimly, seeming to hover in mid-air up onto the stage. She stopped just outside the circle of salt.

“Now why don’t you be a good little girl and come over here by Auntie, and let’s get this finished, shall we? I’ve got big plans for the cosmos.”

“Don’t do it Karen!” Cherie cried out.

“She is right,” Claudia added softly. “She cannot touch you. The circle of salt keeps her at bay.”

“Silence fool!” the woman hissed, turning her glare on the unguarded pair. “I may not be able to cross the sacred circle, but that doesn’t mean I can’t force her to watch as I rip out your still beating heart and shove it down your throat!”

“No!” Karen shrieked as tears stung her eyes. “Please!” she begged. “I’ll do whatever you want, just don’t hurt Cherie!”

The woman smiled sweetly, her voice taking on a gentle tone again. “There, now that wasn’t so hard was it? Now just be a dear and break the circle, and I promise I’ll make this quick and painless. If that rotten girl can’t be bothered to complete her own ascension, then I’ll just have to do it for her.”

Karen hesitantly approached the circle. She stretched out one white shoe, intent on knocking away the salt, when suddenly an invisible force, like an unseen hand, grabbed her ankle. She shrieked, nearly stumbling backwards as Jayne faded into view.

“It turns out, absorbing your imp gave me some of his power,” Jayne said with a smug grin as she tossed a parchment to Karen. “Read it!” she shouted.

As Jayne’s ‘Mother’ lurched for Claudia and Cherie, Jayne threw an arm around her throat from behind. “Oh no you don’t!” she shouted. Though by all rights, the older of the pair should have been able to overpower the younger, somehow Jayne was able to draw her away just long enough for the two to enter the circle.

“You miserable brat!” the elder demon howled. “When I get loose I’ll have your guts for garters!”

She spun around, and with tremendous force, knocked Jayne backwards, off the stage, and well into the fifth row of seats. She spun around to face the three humans, who now spoke almost as one as they read from the scroll. Her eyes widened.

“My true name!” she hissed as she attempted to strike at them, but a powerful magical barrier left a searing wound on her arm, forcing her to recoil.

“You taught me... too well,” Jayne wheezed as she staggered forward. A proud smile crossed her lips as she slumped to the ground. A brilliant light washed over the immediate area, snuffing out the candles, and with a terrible, unearthly scream, the older demon’s form withered into ashes and dust, and then faded entirely.

“Jayne!” Karen squealed, leaping down off the stage to where the younger demon had fallen. She rolled Jayne onto her back, and Jayne smiled faintly, as Claudia and Cherie raced over.

“I’m fine,” she groaned. “Been keeping Jennifer alive.”

Karen, with panic in her voice, and tears in her eyes, looked up at Claudia. “Will she be okay?!”

Claudia glanced slowly between Jayne and Karen. She exhaled softly. “Grandfather forgive me. I cannot believe I’m going to save a demon.” She turned her gaze on Jayne. “If you make me regret this, so help me...”

Jayne half-laughed, half-coughed, as a sickly black liquid trickled from the corners of her mouth.

“Go,” she whispered. “Go to your party. Go enjoy your new life,” she insisted.

“Save your strength,” Karen argued, but Jayne forced her hand away, mustering enough strength to shout.

“I said go!”

Karen frowned as Cherie took her hand, pulling her away. “Come on, Karen. If this is her last wish, then we need to honor it.”

Karen slowly nodded as she turned to walk away with Cherie. As soon as the girls left, Jayne sat bolt upright and dusted herself off. Claudia jumped slightly.

“You’re a cruel one,” she hissed, but Jayne laughed.

“Oh pipe down. The girls needed some closure.”

“But you ARE going to tell them, aren’t you?” Claudia admonished. Jayne reached out to take Claudia’s unoffered hand, pulling herself up.

“Of course I will. I’ll stop by the party in an hour, say you saved me, blah blah blah. In the meantime, do you want to go get some coffee?”

“Excuse me?” Claudia blinked, caught completely off guard.

“Sure. I mean I haven’t been on a date in sixty some years. Come on, humor me? I just got my soul back, and I want to keep it.”

“Going out for coffee with you … will help you keep your soul,” Claudia responded with a skeptical tone. Jayne grinned broadly.

“Yep.”

“Do not make me regret this,” Claudia answered dryly as she left the auditorium, still holding Jayne's hand.

***
Epilogue
***

“True to her word, Jayne stopped by the party that night. She remained Karen’s regular babysitter, and a regular fixture in her life. With Jayne’s mother out of the picture, Jayne steadily relinquished her hold on the town. It turned out all she really wanted was what Karen wanted - to live a normal life.

“Karen woke the next morning to find her transformation was complete. No one remembered Kyle anymore, except of course for herself, Cherie, Jayne, and Claudia. It took her awhile to adjust to all the new changes in her life, but with the knowledge that she no longer would become a demon like Jayne, and her mother’s rapid recovery to full health, she had plenty of time to figure it out. After all, being a teenager is awkward for anybody. The end.”

Kristina smiled as she leaned back into the old sofa. Denise had joined her on the other side at some point during her storytelling, and the raven-haired girl, like everyone else, sat speechless. Finally, it was Josh who broke the silence.

He removed his arm from around Marie, and started to clap. “That... was awesome. So Jayne and Claudia hooked up?”

Soon the others joined in applauding as well, as Kristina answered, “Yup. Jayne was a demon after all, and not bound by human notions of “taboo”. Karen and Cherie were more like sisters, though, don’t worry.”

“Aww,” Marie giggled. “I think they would’ve made a cute couple.”

“Great story,” the unnamed girl said happily. “Aunt Sam would be proud.”

Kristina gave her a startled glance, but before she could answer, a newcomer quietly emerged from the woods. He was younger than Kristina by a few years, maybe twelve or thirteen.

Marie immediately rolled her eyes. “I knew you were spying on me,” she teased as he approached her.

“I’m sorry,” he answered quietly, which caused her to give the boy a puzzled stare. Kristina and Denise exchanged an amused glance.

“What’s wrong?” Marie asked. He looked like he’d seen a ghost.

“That story... It’s not true is it?”

Marie tried not to giggle. “I don’t know... You’ll have to ask Kristina. It’s her story. But I’ll tell you this much, you’d better not put your nasty gum on my hairbrush again, or I just might take a page from Jayne’s spell book,” she added, giving her little brother her best evil big sister glare.

Everyone started to laugh as the boy shrieked in terror, backing away from Marie. She rolled her eyes and reached out to gently take his hand. “Come on, I’m just teasing. Let’s get you home before Mom freaks out. Hey Josh, can you give us a ride please?” she asked, glancing over at the older boy. He smiled chivalrously and bowed.

“Your chariot awaits, ladies,” he teased, shooting a grin at the boy, and laughing as Marie swatted his shoulder. “Just kidding. C’mon, I’ll stop for tacos on the way.”

He paused though, turning back to Kristina. “Oh, um... sorry for... what I said earlier I’ll deck the next person I hear saying it after tonight,” he added soberly.

Marie smiled sweetly as he started up the path, adding, “See you guys next week.”

“On that note,” Kristina said cheerfully, “I declare the first meeting of the New Midnight Society closed.”

She picked up the pail as Brent chuckled to himself and stood, “I’ll see you guys next week. I’m feeling kind of inspired to write something now too.” He quickly disappeared down the trail.

Denise giggled as she stood. “So who’s turn is it next week anyway?” she asked, glancing back Kristina. “Because I’ve got an awesome story if you don’t mind?”

“I’m just glad everyone liked my story enough to have a next week,” Kristina answered wryly. Denise waved as she started off down the trail, and though Kristina hadn’t noticed until she put out the fire and set the pail down again, the dark-haired girl had stayed behind.

“I never did get your name,” Kristina said sheepishly as she turned to smile at the girl, who laughed.

“Jayne,” she teased. It was too dark to see, even by the full moon’s light, but Kristina’s awkward silence was enough to make her start giggling. “Just kidding. I’m Amy. Hey Kristina, do you want to hang out tomorrow?” she asked cautiously.

Kristina furrowed her brows slightly as they started down the path away from the campsite together. “Really?”

“Sure. You seem like a really cool girl, and I was thinking maybe I could introduce you to some of my friends from my school.”

“St. Claire’s, right?” Kristina asked teasingly as she stopped to untie one of the ribbons marking the path to the campsite. Amy reached out to take her new friend’s flashlight, holding it in place so she could see to untie the ribbon.

“Actually it is. And your description was perfect. You’ve been there before haven’t you?”

Kristina slowly nodded. “Yeah... I wanted to transfer there after I was attacked at school last semester. There’s some legal crap going on right now to try and get it through, but in the meantime I’m stuck. But at least now I have friends.”

“Wow, that sucks,” Amy answered softly. “But my friends are all cool. You won’t be treated badly. I promise.”

Kristina glanced back at Amy. By now, her eyes had adjusted to the moonlight, and she could see Amy’s genuine smile. She stepped closer and hugged her. “Would you walk me home? It’s kind of late, and I hate walking home alone.”

Amy smiled warmly at the friendly hug, replying, “Or I could drive,” she answered casually, holding up a set of car keys.

And for once in her life, Kristina’s future finally looked a little brighter. She had accomplished what she set out to do, and now the New Midnight Society’s flames were rekindled for another generation.

The End?... Perhaps, at least for now.


Author's Note:
One of the biggest influences on my life, and my love of the macabre and bizarre, was a television show on Saturday Night Nickelodeon called "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" which I've tried very hard to recapture in spirit with this story. I have nothing but the absolute deepest love, respect, and admiration for D.J. Machale's work on the series, and write this as a humble homage.

Happy Halloween, everyone!

up
134 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow! This story was great. A

Wow! This story was great. A transgendered teen tells a horror Tg-story. I really liked the concept and the way the original story resolved. I wonder if all sukubi are created with such a sacrifice. Does that mean they can all regain their souls? Were are they gone to anyway?

Thank you for writing this awesome story,
Beyogi

Giggle

Zoe Taylor's picture

I've always loved the concept of no one being completely iredeemable, even a 'monster'. :-D

Even though they didn't admit it, I imagine they're going to start treating Kristina a little better at school, and there might also be seeds of romance blossoming. Marie got to see a whole new side of Josh, and Kristina and Amy have a lot to talk about, with her aunt joining the Midnight Society when she was about Kristina's age. :-)

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Im Shocked :o

This outstanding story meets all the conditions for my contest, yet... it isn't entered :*(

sigh

Tagged :-)

Zoe Taylor's picture

I've been working on this story for a good month now, and I didn't really have a finalized ending until just a couple of weeks ago, so it never even occurred to me to enter it in the contest :-)

Edit: Changed comment title - I've tagged it for the contest as requested ^_^

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Outstanding

I am glad to see Zoe writing again. I tried to sent Zoe a PM be it bounce back what's with that, that being said this is outstanding. Kudos --RICHIE2

Odd that it bounced :-)

Zoe Taylor's picture

You're not on ignore or anything, I promise! ^_^ Glad you liked it. I had a lot of fun writing this one. I might eventually do a sequel the next time Kristina's 'up' for telling a story.

In the original tradition, each member likes to tell certain types of stories, and I imagine Kris' will be redemption stories, possibly with a TG twist. :-)

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Very well done

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Very, very well done. Has everything that a good Halloween story should have in it with a TG spin. As always Zoe you write a great Halloween tale! :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Thank you, thank you!

Zoe Taylor's picture

This is definitely my best Halloween story yet. :-D I'm so proud of how this one turned out.

*breaks into song for no apparent reason*

*giggle*

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Well now you mention it...

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Of course one of the characters breaking into a song for no apparent reason would have made it a perfect story... ;-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

afraid of the dark

Sadarsa's picture

I remember watching that! Think i was in high school at the time, i wasn't a fan but i didn't dislike it either. It was one of the better shows though and i enjoyed it. In fact my favorite riddle came from that series: What can be seen with the naked eye that if put into a barrel will make it lighter?

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Vink, with a vuh, vuh, vuh!

Zoe Taylor's picture

I love that riddle! I still use it to mess with people's heads.

{Highlight to read} It's a hole! :-D

I've got all seven seasons, though I only watched up through season 5 to refresh my memory. I love the comment, I think from an interview with MacHale directly, about how the show was like our generation's "The Twilight Zone".

The Tale of the Dollmaker and The Tale of Quicksilver gave me nightmares. :-P

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

well done

thank you

Another GREAT Zoe

Renee_Heart2's picture

Story. Please enter this in the contest Zoe Ill vote deformation just about ANYTHING you & Ashleigh come up with.

OK so the Evel demon is banished & Karen gets to stay 100% fully female & the daughter demon stays a demon but gets to have a fairly normal life & Karen's mom gets better & gets to enjoy life.

Looks like the midnight society is off to a riding good start.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Good story!

Loved the setup, and the rest just fell into place as if it was a puzzle that someone had figured out and was putting the pieces in as fast as they could. Nice.

Maggie

Wow

This was such an awesome story. I must say I loved the premise of bringing back the Midnight Society from Are you afraid of the dark?. That show was one of my favorites and I watched it every time I could catch it on.

I hope maybe there will be more Midnight Society tales in the future

Bekah

Framing stories

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

I loved the premise of bringing back the Midnight Society from Are you afraid of the dark?.

I never saw that show (can’t afford cable), so I was wondering what that was all about, until I read the comments. Things like a Midnight Society are known to writers as framing stories; their purpose is often to provide context and continuity to a series of short stories that they contain. So when I saw only one story, I started wondering why there was a framing story around it. So, now I know (TV shows often use framing stories to tie episodes and segments together). :)

Yup, although I planned more

Zoe Taylor's picture

Yup, although I planned more in this "universe", but just never got a chance to do anything with it. I wanted to touch on how the framing characters grow and change, and how their stories change with them, like Christina's next story would've been a twist on Jack o' the Lantern, and one of the cis girls would try her hand at telling a transgender-themed horror story, etc.

I even toyed with putting up a wiki somewhere, so anyone could write their own take on the New Midnight Society :-) AYAotD was one of those many, many elements that helped shape who I am today, both as a writer and a person. I always hoped Nick would reboot it someday.

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Another Zoe Mistress Work:)

Loved this a lot and it was fun and halloweeny which you're amazingly good at and still keeping the teen vibe going too.
Great Stuff!
*Big Hugs*
Bailey

Bailey Summers

Kristina's future finally looked...

A little brighter. Yes it does! Nice story Zoe, thoroughly enjoyed it! It would be interesting to see Jayne's story to. (Hugs) Taarpa

Are you afraid of the Dark?

I´ve loved this Canadian series. I was eight and it was first half of 90´s when they´ve showed it on czech tv, but I remember some of stories as really scary. And my sister crowned this by reading me some short stories from Stephen Kings´ Night Shift short story collection. I still can hear opening and closing music in my mind and well it´s on youtube as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Ye-HiiV1U and still holds its spell on me.
So I was very surprised and really really glad for such wonderfull tg story in this theme.
Thank you so much Zoe!!!

Love this...

I also reminds me of Dead Poet Society.. This sound like something that can go on by other writers as well, I hope you make a "regular meeting" out of it.
Love and Hugs Hanna

Love And Hugs Hanna
((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))
Blessed Be
2889.jpg

Hmm just wondering

I know i read this before.. I never forget a story, its the curse of a story teller, when was this first written?
Love and Hugs Hanna

Love And Hugs Hanna
((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))
Blessed Be
2889.jpg

I only just wrote this this

Zoe Taylor's picture

I only just wrote this this September :-) This is the first writing/posting of it.

That said, I've thought about future stories as time goes on. I'd like to explore Kristina's real life as she uses the meetings to connect with her newfound peer group. There's certainly room for expansion though.

Denise for example, has an idea for a TG story that Kristina basically single-handedly inspired her to write. I just haven't had time to really put down an outline and work on it... yet. ;-)

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

I'm glad everyone loved it...

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

Tricked/trapped/coerced into femininity stories have never appealed to me. Usually tags like ‘Bad Boy to Good Girl’ and ‘Blackmail’ are enough to warn me off…but there is Zoe, who usually seems not to write these, and then there were the rave reviews in the comments section. So, when the sitter from Hell started turning the screws…I wrote this comment on my way out, for the next reader who might want to duck this sort of thing. There is no doubt that what I read was well written, which was all the more reason why I didn’t want to go there. Oh well…

What a cool story.

WillowD's picture

This story starts out a lot like The Tale of the Bookish Babysitter but it soon heads in a totally different direction.

My downstairs neighbour played the villain in one of the episodes. In the scene I remember a swimming pool was filled with fog. My neighbour, who was 6' 8" tall (in real life), had golden skin. They had him lying on a board which was slowly tilted to vertical so he seemed to rise out of the fog in the swimming pool. The kids standing by the swimming pool did something to banish him.

That was a thoroughly awesome TV series. It's very different from most TV show, barring a few really old ones like The Twilight Zone.