Somewhere Else Entirely -12-

Printer-friendly version

After another awkward encounter with the Mistress of the Wardrobe Garia has to cope with the appearance of a murder victim's body followed by the return of some familiar faces.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

12 - Afternoon Arrivals


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2016 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Still stretching after her nap, and trying to conceal a yawn, Garia entered the royal sitting-room by the door from the balcony. Her nap had refreshed her considerably, a fact that surprised her. After all, back in Kansas Gary had never taken an afternoon nap at all. At school it wasn't possible and there was too much happening on other days. Besides, Gary had never felt the need for a nap, but then the weather wasn't like it was here either. They had siestas in Mexico and around the Mediterranean, perhaps it was appropriate to take a mid-day break here in Palarand.

"Your Majesty."

"Garia," Terys acknowledged. "I've been thinking about your problem earlier today, and I have written something simple that you can take with you until everyone becomes familiar with you."

Terys held out a small square of parchment and Garia took it. Of course the squiggles on it meant nothing to her.

"Ma'am, I can't read it, I'm sorry. I can speak your language, but I can't yet read or write it."

"Oh! No, I suppose you can't, can you? I'll read it to you, then."

Terys retrieved the document and read out loud.

By decree of Queen Terys of Palarand.

To any member of the palace staff. Let it be known that the bearer, Mistress Garia, is a special visitor to Palarand from the State of Kansas. She is currently residing in the palace and her status is that of a member of the Royal Household. Her customs are different than those of Palarand and she may request goods or services not normally associated with a person of her age and status. Please treat her requests as though they were my own.

Terys, this 31st day of Keruvil in the year 1174 since the Great Flood

"Your Majesty!" Garia protested. "I can't possibly accept that! It's far too powerful a document!"

"And that's why I worded it that way, dear. I consider you to be a properly responsible person, and I know that you won't abuse this document like another might." Terys handed the document back and Garia took it gingerly.

"My dear," the Queen explained, "You had some trouble this morning and I can see this happening almost every time you meet someone new within the palace grounds. This slip will just make things a little easier for you until they become used to you. You will be careful with it, won't you?"

"Of course, Ma'am. Like you said earlier, I don't like throwing my weight around, and any time I wave this under someone's nose they're not going to like it. I don't want to fill the palace with my enemies, I guess I have enough of those already."

"Good." Terys nodded. "You do understand, then."

"Ma'am, it's all about trust, isn't it? I trust you, and I trust the King and Keren, I mean Prince Keren. For that to work properly, you have to be able to trust me in return. I want to make sure I never abuse that trust. Anyone else in the palace? Well, I'll have to take them as I find them. Didn't work out too well in Morlan's case, did it?"

Terys's face clouded. "That was unfortunate. Morlan has been a loyal servant of the crown for many years, it was only your unexpected arrival which caused him to stray. We don't yet know if he did stray, of course."

"True, Ma'am. Um, Ma'am, what will happen to the body when it arrives?"

"The healers will make it presentable for the funeral, dear. That usually involves cleaning the body and dressing it in fresh clothes. In this weather the funeral will probably be tomorrow or the day after."

Hmm. No thought of doing any forensic-type testing. Why not? Whoever it is, he's a murder victim, a crime has been committed.

"Um, Ma'am? I wonder, would it be possible for me to look at the body before the healers start? It is possible that we might find clues to what happened to him. Once he's been cleaned up all those clues will be washed away."

Terys shuddered. "Why would you want to do that, child? Death is bad enough without having to look over corpses when you don't have to."

Garia told her what she wanted to do, and explained that much might be learned from a body in such cases as a murder or where the cause of death was uncertain.

"Goodness, child! Yet again you surprise me. This is something you should mention to the King when we meet him later. Very well, I'll send word to the healers, when the body arrives I will have someone fetch you. What are you planning to do this afternoon?"

Garia gave a wry smile. "I must tackle Mistress Yolda, I think, Ma'am. I would like to get that problem out of the way, at least."

"You have my best wishes, dear."

Garia gave the document to Jenet for safe-keeping and the two headed off to find Mistress Yolda. In a far corner of the palace they located her office but she was not there. Instead they had to search through several wooden huts which filled the courtyard next to her office, eventually finding her talking to a number of her subordinates, women who presumably cut and sewed the clothing and other materials needed for the palace and its inhabitants.

"Mistress Yolda."

"Mistress Garia. I regret, I still do not think that I can provide anything suitable for you to wear tonight."

"Why ever not? I see people around you wearing clothes that would probably be suitable."

"But they are servants, Mistress. You cannot wear clothing fit only for servants."

Ooooh! Garia closed her eyes until the red mist faded. "Mistress Yolda," she said carefully, afraid that she might start shouting, "The clothing I will wear tonight will be suitable for the purpose and nothing else. If that means that I will wear a servant's dress then that is what I will do. If it also means that I will wear a Guardsman's cloak and boots I will do that also. Am I clear?"

Yolda looked resentfully at Garia. Around her, the seamstresses expressions ranged from guarded to surprise to shock at someone speaking to their superior in such a fashion, especially someone so young. Some took a step back, to try and dissociate themselves from the argument, others leaned forward to catch the words.

"Mistress, this cannot be right," Yolda said. "It flies in the face of custom. How can a lady of the court wear such things?"

"Easily, Mistress Yolda. My shape is no different than that of any woman my age, whatever her status. Just watch me. Besides which, no-one's going to see much of it in any case, I'm going to be wearing a cloak over it, aren't I?"

Yolda shook her head, but she said, "As you command, Mistress," in a low voice and turned away. "Come with me, I will need to get your measurements from the office."

They walked back to the office and Yolda found Garia's measurements filed away in one of thousands of pigeonholes which covered three of the office's four walls. She sat at the desk, thinking, while Garia and Jenet stood waiting, then finally said, "Mistress, I have an idea. Come with me."

Yolda led them to another hut which was crammed with clothing on rails. She pushed her way through the stock until she found a rail of dark blue dresses similar to that Jenet was wearing. It took a while before she found one of a suitable size and pulled it out. Garia saw that it was of a sturdier material than that which Jenet was dressed in but otherwise similar in style.

"Mistress, these are used by the palace staff when the buildings are cleaned in spring and fall. They are shorter than those gowns you have in your dressing room because the servants must climb stepladders to clean the upper parts of the chambers. You are short enough that it may not matter, but if it makes you uncomfortable I can supply leggings to fit you."

Garia nodded. "That looks as though it might be suitable. Although, why can't I just have a dress like Jenet here?"

"Mistress, the skirt would be too long to climb ladders in. Will you try this one on for size?"

What the heck. Have to start somewhere. "Yes, I think I will."

There were changing rooms near the office and Jenet helped Garia out of her summer-weight gown and into the servant's dress. The skirt was quite full but came to just below her knee. Garia discovered then that the servant's dresses were different to her own, instead of back lacing these dresses had wrap-around ties.

Typical male observation pattern. Why didn't I notice that before? Jenet, Varna and Kenila have all stripped off to bathe enough times I ought to have noticed. This is all going to take me time to adjust, isn't it? I hope eventually it'll become second nature.

Look at this thing I'm wearing. It's weird, I never wore a dress till a week ago and now I feel strange because the hemline on this one is higher than I've become used to. Used to! And it's quite a bit thicker than those I've been wearing up till now, as well. Am I going to get too hot tonight?

She thought carefully about the circumstances of her outing that night and decided that it would probably do, but she would also need something on her legs for purposes of modesty. She would probably end up too hot but that would be better than being too cold and way better than giving guardsmen a peep show as she climbed the ladders.

"Mistress Yolda, I'll take it, and I'll need something to put on my legs, please. It may get cold when we are on top of the tower."

"Very well, Mistress. You also need some boots and a cloak, you said."

"That's right."

"The cloak is easy, Mistress, I may have to hunt for footwear."

"Again, Mistress Yolda, it doesn't matter what they look like providing they do the job. Which is to protect my feet as I climb to the tower, and to walk around the tower at night."

A cloak and boots were provided and Yolda made a note of what had been issued on a piece of parchment which she clipped to Garia's measurement sheet. She went off again and returned with leggings.

Now, those look different. Woolen, knitted. Not very even. She fingered the material. Of course, everything has to be knitted by hand around here, doesn't it? Hmm.

"Mistress, thank you for finding these but I think that they, together with this thick dress, are going to be too much in this heat. Have you anything lighter? Like, say, those tights the guardsmen wear? They'll protect my modesty just as well as these would."

Yolda looked as though she had chewed a wasp but took back the leggings and disappeared again, this time for much longer than previously. She returned with a pair of much thinner tights in the brown-rust of the guard colors. Garia could tell immediately that they would be just right. She still tried them on for size and fit before emerging from the changing room in her original clothes.

Crap. I can't climb that tower on my own, can I? I have to have a chaperone...

"Ah, Mistress Yolda," Garia said as she finished. "I'm going to need the same for Jenet here, aren't I? She'll have to climb the tower with me, after all."

As Yolda bustled grumpily away to fill the duplicate order Garia turned to Jenet.

"I'm sorry, Jenet, I just didn't think, either about the original invitation or about asking you if that was all right with you. Do you think that you can manage?"

"I don't see why not, Mistress. I have done some of those cleaning jobs Mistress Yolda mentioned, I can't imagine this will be much different. And a maid will go wherever her mistress goes, so don't worry about me."

Garia's eyes narrowed as she thought about what Jenet had just said, but she made no comment then. At some point soon, she was going to have a quiet talk with Jenet, a talk she suspected would be full of confusion and misunderstanding on both sides given their respective backgrounds.

A footman appeared at the office door.

"You are Mistress Garia?" Garia nodded. "The Chamberlain said I'd find you here, Mistress. His message is that a certain cargo has arrived, and that I am to conduct you to the chamber where it is being... put."

"Uh, yes, thank you. We're waiting for Mistress Yolda to come back with some clothes, will you wait with us?"

"Of course, Mistress." The man appeared puzzled that he should do anything else.

The three waited until Yolda returned, and then Garia insisted that Jenet try on everything to ensure it all fitted properly. Finally, back in their original clothes they took their departure, Yolda saying that the outfits would be delivered to Garia's suite during the afternoon.

The footman took them to another part of the palace, behind the kitchens, where there were rooms cooled by ice brought from the mountains to keep produce fresh until needed. A side chamber was permanently reserved near these for storing and preparing bodies before whatever disposal was practiced in this world. Waiting for them in front of the doorway were Robanar, Keren, Kendar, Gerdas and Margra together with two other woman healers wearing waxed full-length aprons over their normal clothes.

"Mistress Garia," Robanar greeted her.

"Your Majesty," she replied, curtseying. "I apologize for the delay, we were with Mistress Yolda selecting suitable clothing for tonight."

Robanar nodded. "Aye, Mistress. I knew where you were and anticipated some delay." His brow furrowed. "I am not sure why you wish to view the body, it is not a pleasant experience for anyone not intimately involved in the circumstances. Master Gerdas here can confirm the identification of the body for legal purposes."

Garia explained briefly about the fact that clues might be found to help determine the sequence of events and the nature of the death, saying that it was normal in her world when the death was not from natural causes.

Margra nodded in agreement. "I have often wondered whether we could find out more in such cases, Sire," she said. "I would like to talk to Mistress Garia about such matters, if that is acceptable."

"It is acceptable, Mistress Margra," Robanar replied, then he grinned. "You'll have to join the crowd waiting to talk with her, I'm afraid. Now, shall we go in? Perhaps Mistress Garia can tell us what she might expect us to find."

The body had been laid out on a table and covered with a sheet. Margra pulled back the sheet at the head end and they all gathered round to look at the victim's face.

"That's Morlan, all right," Gerdas said, his voice low. "He may have been difficult to work with during life, he may have been a pain in the rear at times, but he was still a brilliant mind and he made significant contributions to the knowledge we possess." He shook his head. "I wonder what happened to him to make him come to this end?"

"I confirm that this is the body of Master Morlan, the Royal Questor," Robanar said formally. He looked at Garia. "What is your pleasure, Mistress?"

Garia looked at the pale face exposed above the sheet. There was no expression there, no hint of what he was thinking or doing when he met his end. Part of her was glad that she would not have to struggle against him any longer, part of her was sad that a human being was no longer there any more. She had seen a body once before, on Uncle Brad's farm, one of the hands had been trampled by some spooked cattle so death wasn't entirely a stranger. Even so, she was uncomfortable standing by the body, her feelings thoroughly mixed. She mentally shook herself and focused on the task at hand.

"His clothes. Is it possible to tell from any stains where he's been? Can we take the sheet off, please?"

Morlan's full-length robe, worn over his black tunic and hose, was rumpled and covered with dust, presumably from where he had been dumped beside the road. A small area round the cuts at front and back where the murder weapon had entered and exited were stained with dried blood. There was no sign of any mud or vegetation that they could see. Next, she asked the healers to check the wrists and ankles to see if he had been restrained in any way with negative results.

"So, he wasn't obviously kidnapped, then," Robanar mused. "He might have known those he traveled with. Where was he going? The North Road is not the way anyone would go to reach Yod."

"Sire, that might have been a deliberate ploy to misdirect us," Garia said. "Without examining the spot where he was found we do not know that he was killed near there."

"What would examining the spot tell us, Mistress?"

Now, how much of CSI do I remember? How much is going to be relevant to these people?

"If he was killed there, Sire, there would be quantities of blood on the ground. In fact, I am surprised that there is so little on his clothes. There may be useful tracks of the murderers nearby. Indeed, very often the murder weapon is thrown away somewhere near the body. Where I come from, Sire, it is customary to leave any discovered body untouched and cordon off the area to ensure that any signs are left undisturbed until trained investigators can get there."

Robanar looked at her with interest. "Mistress, again you surprise us with ideas we would never have considered ourselves. This is something else for us to discuss another time." Garia understood the reference to 'later'. "Is there anything else we can gain from this examination, Mistress?" He waved a hand at the body.

"It's time to let the healers remove the clothing, Sire. If they could be retained a short while, we might examine them closely and find further clues. While we do that the healers can check the body for bruising which may be concealed by the clothes. Check his head. He may have been knocked unconscious before he was killed."

"Do you wish to watch the procedure, Mistress?"

Not a chance. I've seen enough of this body to give me nightmares for a month. Leave it to the experts. Let's get out of here.

"Um, no, Sire, I don't think so. The healers may as well do what they have to do." She turned, then stopped and turned back. "Wait! What is he carrying? That may tell us if he was killed by robbers, for example."

Robanar nodded at Margra and she gently searched the body, feeling for concealed items. There were none, only a purse attached to Morlan's belt alongside an empty knife scabbard. The purse was emptied on an adjoining table.

"My wallet!" Garia exclaimed. "And my watch! I'm glad to see that back. So, he did take them."

She picked up the wallet and opened it to find that it was empty. The watch had a crack across the glass but otherwise seemed intact. There was a tightly-folded parchment which, according to Gerdas, contained some lines of information that could only have originated from Garia. There were also a few local coins of different sizes and metals.

"Not a robbery, then, father," Keren said. "Even if they left those items of Garia's, they would have taken the money."

Robanar grunted. "A bad business. We still have no idea if he left deliberately, or was taken, or even if any of this is relevant at all. Let us go, and leave the healers to their unenviable task. Mistress, you may reclaim your belongings if you so wish."

Garia gathered up what was hers and the group filed out of the cold room. Robanar led the way back through the palace towards his parlor, where Garia realized that an informal inquest would take place.

"Sire," she asked as they walked, "what will happen to the body? Do you bury your dead here?"

"No, Mistress, we don't customarily bury bodies here in the Valley," he replied. "Although there is less flooding than in previous times there is still a risk of disease so the dead are usually consigned to the flames. These days it is more in the nature of a custom than a necessity. As the harvest season is starting there should be an ample supply of material for his pyre. He deserves a decent funeral, whatever else he may have done. You will join us for the occasion?"

"Of course, Your Majesty."

On the way a footman intercepted the party.

"Sire." The man bowed low. "Master Tanon and Mistress Merina are awaiting your pleasure in the Receiving Room. I am to tell you that they are successfully returned from Viridor."

Robanar raised his eyebrows. "Indeed? Tell them I will join them shortly." He turned to the group. "I had briefly forgotten their trip, I must admit." He gave Garia a wry smile. "We have been otherwise distracted these last few days, Mistress. Will you join us? After all, they may wish to find out what happened to you after they left."

The first three days which Garia has spent on Anmar had been in the company of Tanon, Merina and their wagon train over the mountains. Although it was before her Earth memory had returned enough of that time had remained to leave her with a warm feeling. She smiled at the King.

"Yes, Sire, I would like to do that. I owe them my safe arrival in Palarand, after all."

Robanar nodded. "As you wish, Mistress. Gerdas, what is your pleasure? You may come with us or I can ask Kendar to conduct you back to your quarters. Do you know Tanon? Our discussion may not be that interesting to you."

"I know Tanon, Sire," Gerdas replied. "He has connections in far places, useful for passing word with some of my astronomer acquaintances in distant lands. If I may decline, Sire. I can see that Mistress Garia will be spending time discussing more immediate and personal matters."

"Until dinner, then, Gerdas."

"Sire."

Robanar led Garia and Keren through the corridors and eventually the pair emerged from one of the doors beside the thrones in the Receiving Room. Everyone immediately bowed and curtseyed at the King's appearance in the room. Terys was already there, talking to Tanon and Merina, and when Robanar appeared she led their small group over to him and Garia.

"Your Majesty, Your Highness, Mistress Garia," Tanon greeted them. "Sire, I have to report the success of our venture. The proposed trading route has been agreed and both my business and your Treasury will benefit from the spices and other goods which will flow through Palarand in the future. The terms which I agreed are more favorable than I expected, but there is no harm in having a margin against possible future difficulties. Mistress, I shall not bore you with the details, with the King's permission I shall discuss in detail the treaties agreed upon at a later time."

Robanar's eyes had an eager light in them. "Aye, Master Tanon, we must do that." He turned to Garia. "There is more here than just a trade agreement, Mistress. There are important political and security implications also, that will make many of the coastal nations feel that much safer." He addressed Tanon again. "Master Tanon, in your absence much has happened. This young woman has turned my kingdom on its head, even in the few short days she has been with us."

"So it seems, Sire. The Queen has been trying to tell us some of the detail while we waited." He addressed Garia. "It is true, Mistress, someone tried to kidnap you? And Morlan is dead?"

Garia looked at Robanar, who said, "Both true, Tanon. Something else to discuss in private, I think."

Terys looked disheartened at the news that Morlan's death had been confirmed.

Merina was staring at Garia. "Mistress, you seem to have found your stride, I see. The style of your hair is unusual for Palarand, but goes perfectly with your face." Her eyes narrowed, remembering what Garia had told her she used to be. "How did you..."

Her sentence was cut off as Garia moved to embrace her.

"I'm glad you're back, Merina," she said as they hugged. "There's a great deal to tell you. There's a great deal to ask, as well," she added softly.

There were other groups waiting in the Receiving Room so Terys led them through the corridors to the parlor while Robanar dealt with the outstanding matters before joining them. Tanon couldn't disguise his excitement at the transaction he'd concluded but Merina, Silna and Jaxen all had their eyes fixed on Garia. The change they noticed since they had last seen her was readily apparent. They all took seats in the downstairs parlor and the maids were sent off to rustle up refreshments for Robanar's visitors.

"Sire, it seems that my apprehensions when we found this lovely young lady were justified," Tanon remarked. "If it is necessary, I will offer my apology to you and Her Majesty for being the cause of the problems that now seem to beset Palarand. How could I have known, Sire? What else could I have done?"

"Nothing at all, Tanon," Robanar assured him. "You did exactly right in my opinion. There are dangerous forces gathering around Palarand, and it is well that the focus of those forces is protected here within the palace."

Robanar proceeded to describe to Tanon and Merina exactly what had happened while they were traveling to and from Viridor. Morlan's disbelief, his apparent change of mind when Garia revealed the extent of her knowledge, the sudden appearance of the party from Yod, the abduction attempt, Morlan's disappearance and everything that followed. His narrative was backed up by explanations from Garia, Keren and Terys where needed. Through all of it Tanon and Merina sat amazed by what they had unwittingly started.

As Kenila served out pel and pastries Tanon finally said, "Unbelievable. To think that all that started when one of my men noticed a body on the mountainside." He looked at Garia. "Mistress, in retrospect I should have realized that you came from another world. Your clothing could not have come from anywhere I know on Anmar. I regret my imagination was not good enough to see it."

"How could you have known, Master Tanon?" she replied with a shrug. "Before my memory returned I had no idea who or what I was. I'm still not entirely sure now. That's something I'll have to think carefully about, but so far there hasn't been much time for thinking."

"I do not envy you having to do that, Mistress," he said. "What you represent is so far out of my experience that I doubt I can contribute much." He switched back to Robanar. "You intend to make use of Mistress Garia's store of knowledge, Sire? From what you have told us so far, I do not see that you have any other option."

"Aye, we will do that, and Mistress Garia is willing," Robanar told him. "The way ahead will be difficult for many, but the incident the other night has focused our attention on what is important. We are considering arrangements for how to manage this process in an orderly way. Mistress Garia has forewarned us of the troubles that the use of such knowledge caused on her own world."

Tanon nodded. "I can believe that, Sire. I cannot see that I can be of much use to you in this process, but I will always be available if you require it, Sire, just as on this latest venture of ours."

"You may be surprised," Garia told him. "Tell me, Master Tanon, how far is Viridor? How long did it take you to get there?"

Tanon looked at her with surprise. "Why, Mistress, I believe it is some seventy-five Marks. You know what a Mark is? Of course you do, you came with us through the mountains. Well, there is also a river crossing, a ferry, which makes the journey seem longer. It is thirty-nine Marks from Palarand to the ferry, about a day's journey for a loaded wagon pulled by a dranakh. If the ferry is there when we arrive, we cross and stop overnight on the other side, if not we remain this side and catch the first ferry the following morning. The journey from the ferry to Viridor will take us until the afternoon of the next day."

She thought a second or two. Seventy-five plus the width of the river, times five, divided by eight. Call it forty-eight miles or so. Piece of cake!

"Suppose I were to tell you," she said slowly, "that in my country a single loaded vehicle could take the entire contents of the six wagons I traveled with from the mountains, from here to Viridor in the time of a single bell? I assure you, your expertise will be of great use to us, Master Tanon."

Tanon's eyes were wide, as were those of the rest of the party. "But, Mistress, how can this be possible? A single bell? No dranakh can possibly go that fast, or pull that large a load! And what about the river? However fast you might be able to travel on land, rowing across the river will always take time."

Let's be gentle with him. "Master Tanon, the vehicles we use have no animals pulling them. The engines which move them are much stronger than any dranakh could possibly be. As for the river, we also have ferries, but again they are moved by engines not rowers, and can go much faster. Unless the river is exceptionally wide and deep here we wouldn't even need a ferry. We would simply put a bridge across."

"A bridge, Mistress?" Robanar asked sceptically. "The Sirrel is about five Marks wide at that point. Your people can make a bridge that can cross a span that wide? How?"

Garia shrugged. "It wouldn't be a single span, Sire, although there may be one or two bridges on Earth that are single spans as wide as that. No, we would put piles into the river bed and then put multiple spans on top. The bridge would be made of steel or steel and concrete. We have many like that."

Tanon objected. "I have no doubt you speak the truth, Mistress, but the cost? How can you justify such an enormous thing when we are hard put to run ferries profitably?"

Garia inclined her head in acknowledgment. "Yes, Master Tanon, you would be right. But, on Earth, my world, there would be many thousands of vehicles traveling to and from Viridor every day. Thousands every bell, come to that. Viridor is so close that there would be many who lived in one and worked in the other, so would make the journey every day. Both ways."

There was a stunned silence in the room. Even the maids had stopped, dimly aware that what they were hearing was simply incredible. The realization of the unbelievable future that might await them had simply paralyzed each mind. This young girl in front of them had just said that Viridor, a two day journey away, was so close to Palarand that people could work in one and live in the other! The sound of a cup being replaced in a saucer broke the spell.

"Mistress," Robanar said slowly, "I thought I understood what you represented, but I see that I am mistaken. We need to know much much more before we proceed, I think. Perhaps we should continue this discussion after dinner."

Garia knew what he referred to, so nodded. "Yes, Sire, I agree. May I suggest that Tanon join us? He has particular talents that will become useful, even if he doesn't realize that yet."

Tanon looked surprised. "Me? But, Mistress, I'm just a merchant. I don't see how any of this will affect me, at least in the short term. These marvelous vehicles of yours, it will be some years before we could make them, I imagine?"

"You undervalue yourself, Master Tanon. You run an import-export business. You run a successful haulage business, you have warehousing in several cities, you understand the economics of buying and selling, you know the markets you work in. Just the sort of talents Palarand will need in the future. Also, if I'm not mistaken, you run a side business obtaining news and intelligence from other countries for His Majesty, don't you?"

"Yes I... how did you work that out, Mistress?"

Garia replied, "You run several caravan routes into other countries. It's not hard to figure out. That marvelous vehicle, which we call a truck, is a long way off in your future, I doubt anyone here will see them. But there are alternatives which might not be that difficult for Palarand to build. That's something we have to discuss tonight."

Tanon's eyes looked glassy as he grappled with the hints that Garia had made. Robanar coughed to get everyone's attention.

"I suggest that we leave this subject for now, everyone. This afternoon I need to hear about the agreement which Tanon has engineered so that I can make the appropriate arrangements. Terys, would you like to take Merina and Garia to your sitting room? I'm sure that Mistress Garia has much to discuss with both of you."

"Of course, dear. Mistresses, let's leave the men to their treaties and retire."

For once Garia was glad to leave the men to their deliberations, even though having the thought itself gave her a jolt. Terys led her and Merina up the stairs to the private sitting room, the maids trailing behind.

"Your hair reminds me of something," Merina said after they had settled down. "I've seen something like that style once before, let me think. Oh, yes! It was many, many years ago, I had not long been married to Tanon. He wasn't the Master Trader he is now, he just had a couple of wagons and a few men, I traveled with them on one or two of his early expeditions. We went to, what was the name of that place? Davenarga, I think it was."

"Davenarga?" Terys asked. "Right out on the edge of the desert?"

"Yes, Ma'am, that's the place. Only this was so long ago, it wasn't on the desert's edge then. Anyway, we came across some Kittrins there, and the women had hairstyles much like Garia's. Of course it looked totally different on them as you can imagine."

"Kittrins, Mistress?" Garia asked. "I've heard the name mentioned but I don't know who or what they are."

"Naturally you wouldn't, Mistress. The Kittrin Empire is a group of large islands off the farther coast of Alaesia, well to the west. The people there are... strange. Their faces are very flat, their noses are small and their eyes are like this," she demonstrated by putting her fingertips to the outside edges of her eyes and pulling.

Chinese or Japanese? Perhaps I might get mistaken for one with this haircut, then.

Merina continued, "Their skins are completely black, black as soot. Even the desert nomads aren't as dark as the Kittrins are."

Whoa! Black Japanese? Weird or what? I won't get mistaken for those anytime soon.

"Their hair is very thick and straight so I think that sort of style is probably what most of them wear. The women, that is. The men's hair was very short, as I recall. Fancy me remembering that! Well, I said they were strange, I think it's to do with what they have on their islands. Or rather don't have. They don't have access to metals the way we do, so they are anxious to trade with us. There are some spices and exotic woods we trade for pots and knives and so on. Some exceptionally fine pottery. Their money is coins made from hard-baked clay, very finely made too."

"We very occasionally get one or two of them visiting Palarand," added Terys for Garia's benefit. "They are too far away to have much contact in the normal way but we do get the odd adventurer who's exploring what to them are exotic eastern lands. They're no trouble, we're quite content to let them wander about."

"Now, I know you didn't have a girl's hair style before you came here," Merina asked, "so what made you decide to have it cut that way? Any particular reason? Is this a style you are familiar with?"

"It is, Mistress," Garia said. "As you said, it's not how a boy would have his hair at home but it's one of a vast number of styles a girl might wear. I've been having trouble in the palace with people not taking my position seriously so I thought I'd better make sure I stood out. With my hair being short, I tried to find a style that I could tidy it into." She grimaced. "There was some difficulty when I went to the salon at first. Of course Mistress Shelda had never done anything like this before so it was an interesting experience. I nearly lost an ear-lobe."

"It's very pretty," Merina said, cocking her head. "Is that a style a young person would wear, or..."

"No, Mistress, I have seen women of all ages with something similar. Of course, every head is different so there are variations." A thought came to Garia. "You are not thinking of having your own hair cut into this style, Mistress?"

Listen to me! I'm discussing hair styles with other women, now!

"Seeing you, I wondered, yes. It looks eminently practical. I bet it takes you no time at all to wash, does it?"

Their talk evolved into an entirely feminine digression about hair, it's care and styling which Garia found surprisingly interesting. The talk came to an abrupt end when Kenila, Varna and Jenet all jumped to their feet at the same time. Terys raised an eyebrow.

"It seems, Mistresses, that we must prepare ourselves before the evening meal. I will assume that you have been invited, Merina."

"Thank you, Ma'am."

"It will make sense, especially if Tanon is to be included in this evenings special meeting."

Merina gave her an enquiring glance.

"We are setting up councils to manage Garia's knowledge," she explained. Merina nodded. "It looks like Tanon will be co-opted onto one of those councils."

Merina frowned. "I don't know, he has enough on his plate as it is. You know how long it takes just to sort out his accounts, what with all the currency conversions and so on. He's too busy, most of the time."

"I may have something that will help him with that," Garia said. "A new numbering system. Besides, he'll be on one of those councils, be very sure of that. Don't you realize, Merina, that he's going to become one of the richest people in Palarand? He's not going to pass up that opportunity."

"What are you talking about? He's rich enough as it is. What is there that will make him richer?"

"It would take too long to tell you now, Mistress. Let's go and get freshened up before we go down to eat. Ma'am, will it be all right if Merina comes to my suite?"

"If you wish, dear. Merina, would you rather return home and change?"

"I anticipated the possibility of a meal, Ma'am. If you're content with what I'm wearing now, I'll stay."

Garia led Merina the two doors down the corridor and into her own suite.

"My goodness! How ever did you come to be in here? This used to be Elizet's suite, didn't it?"

"Yes, I got moved here that night those men broke into my room. The King thought I'd be safer if I was nearer to their own quarters."

"My! You have gone up in the world."

Garia gave her a wry smile. "I'm not sure I deserve it, though. If you would like to go first in the bathroom, I can go in the dressing room and find something for myself to change into while I wait."

Finally, with everyone refreshed and as tidy as they could make themselves, they headed off to the dining room.

up
392 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Thoroughly Captivating Tale

Thank you Penny for such a wonderful story. I can see now that we're in for a long set of chapters, all of which are eagerly anticipated, even though, in my opinion, they arrive far too slowly! You are giving us great entertainment.

Thank you.

It's all a bit tricky. We've been zoomed in so close for a while, but I thought it was necessary to get the dynamics of the situation sorted out. I can't keep writing at this detail, the story would be as long as a certain dormouse saga and I would be old and grey. (Actually, I wouldn't be grey as I do get a tint every so often but you know what I'm getting at ;) And all of you would probably be certifiable (I am so not going to go there!).

So, in a chapter or two we should zoom out a little both in terms of time and space. Things will settle down to what really matters in a story like this - and you don't need me to tell you what that's going to be. The technological side will still be there, of course, it's just that the emphasis will shift slightly. Garia's appearance is going to have other consequences beyond what we've already seen.

As for cranking these chapters out, it's taking me about four days to write one at the moment. Real Life (tm), you know. I'm getting hard looks from the Significant Other every time I scuttle off to Mission Control to pound the keyboard as it is but at least she knows what I'm doing and why. How some of you manage to write stories here without partners finding out is a complete mystery to me. How on Earth do those of you with jobs manage?

I would dearly love to write these faster, and publish a little more often. If nothing else, there are other tales yet to be told. Oh, well, that's life, or so I'm informed.

Penny

Certifiable?

Too late -- for me, anyhow.

Great story! I'm throughly enjoying it.

Very well done!

I really enjoy this story! I hadn't thought about how a simple thing like a bridge could be chanfed by Garia's knowledge, or how much this could effect Paraland. Very interesting, indeed. The idea of introducing forensics is very good, and I wondewr if this knowledge of the Kittrins and their ceramics will change anything? Much to see here...it just gets better and better! I look forward to reading more!

Wren

Pretty average really ...

... for you that is. Seriously satisfying for the rest of us!
This series is really super.
I can agree with the earlier poster about the frequency of appearance,mind you. My hooks have been severely tentered!

Thanks!

Yours in deep appreciation.
And with zipped lips as to future revelations/changes/disruptions that MY brain might foresee or like to see.

Di.

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity"
in most, but not all, instances

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity"in most, but not all, instances

Stopping the leaks

... would be easier if Garia would stop talking about technological advances in front of the servants. It will be soon enough that the palace will be overwhelmed with requests for 'assistance' and knowledge. She won't be able to go about freely after she gets acclimated.

Kim

Leaks

There's a couple of ways to look at what the servants see and hear. On the one hand, they are nearly always there unnoticed in the background, so the 'upper' classes just don't even realize that they are present - except that Robanar knows that Garia's knowledge is sufficiently dangerous he will clear the room before the subject is discussed. Practically everyone else is oblivious to their presence.

On the other hand, nearly all servants would be practically uneducated by our own standards and very few of them will be able to read or write. This means that they are unlikely to be able to understand the details of what Garia discloses. This won't stop them picking up basic ideas and spreading them via the grapevine, though.

I'll have to consider the implications of servants hearing things. Also remember that Garia has a 'typical small-town American' upbringing and really doesn't get servants at all, or class, or status or any of that. Time for more fun.

Penny

Fascinating tale

With so much going on - Garia learning more about Palarand (I must remember it's spelled that way - not Paraland!) while they learn lots from her - and not just the STEM stuff: they're also having to learn to cope with her very strange customs - e.g. a noblewoman wanting to go gallivanting around castle towers at night - not to mention in a mixture of servants' and men's clothing - who'da thunk it!

It'll be interesting to see what she could contribute towards designing larger vehicles or bridges, although no doubt teaching relevant people Arabic numerals will help speed up accounting. I wonder what denominators are used in their currency - is it a cent-based system, or something more complex like the old £.s.d?

Added onto which, the conversation with Jenet about establishing a more equitable mistress-servant relationship will be interesting. I can certainly imagine that when Garia starts to learn how to read and write the local lingo, she'll try and enroll Jenet in the same classes. After all, Jenet's likely to be accompanying her to the venue, so rather than sit outside twiddling her thumbs... :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

So many facets to address.

Penny's right, there are so many issues developing in this story it would take forever to deal with each one in great detail. I anticipate some pretty spectacular 'quantum leaps' in certain components of the plot and the science to keep the story moving without getting bogged down in the detail.

Then of course, there are the issues surrounding the transition.

I'm loving this story especially the aspects of it associated with the issues surrounding what has universally come to be known as 'The First Directive.'

Cheers and lovin' it.

Hugs.

Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

Servants or others of a

Servants or others of a lessor "station in life" being in the background during conversations by their superiors and/or masters, is not unusual at all. As pointed out in one of the other comments, too many times people tend to forget those about them that are there on a daily basis. They are, in fact, treated like part of the room fixtures, rather than the people they really are.

As an Electrician in City Government and Industry ...

For over 30 years, I had keys to everywhere, and worked in everyone's office. It is amazing what one can hear as they install an outlet or repair a light. LOL

K

Entertaining and with real substance.

You know, I have really read all the first bra, first skirt stories I want to, and this is so refreshing! I really like where this is going. Thank you.

Khadijah

Somewhere Else Entirely -12-

A flood? Can't help but thnk that this planet is an alternate Earth where our Moon broke up into two smaller moons thanks to asteroid impact that caused the flood,

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Alternate Earth

The other moons could be captured asteroids.

On the other hand, that doesn't account for the longer year. Of course, it could be that the year is the same length, but the day is shorter. Garia can figure that out now that she has her watch back.

Alternate Earth? Possible, but it would have to be really alternate -- different plant and animal life, different continents, more moons. When Garia goes up the tower, she can find out if the stars are familiar. She might be able to find out about the planets from the astronomer. Of course, the stars in the southern hemisphere would look different to someone who grew up in Kansas.

It could be an alternate Earth, but it could more easily be just another planet in this huge universe.

The fact that the humans seem pretty much identical lends credence to a literal interpretation of "God created man in His own image."

Moons

There is a good argument to say that all of the smaller moons in Earth's solar system are captured asteriods. Which fact opens up a couple of possibilities dealt with in the next chapter. I'm not going to say what :)

As for God creating man in his own image, how do you know that Garia is the first human to be transported here? (Wherever here is!)

As for the humans being 'identical', hmm, they seem to look sorta 'similar' on the surface, don't they? Doesn't mean they are all the way through. That one is going to cause Garia a sleepless night sometime soon.

Penny

Appearing Identical

Considering the fact that Garia was examined by the traders when they stripped her, and she has shared a bath with two other women, I would expect that any glaring differences would be noted.

As for internal differences -- that is an interesting thought. Of course, it remains to be seen how much the locals know about human anatomy. Perhaps, if Garia is around when someone is butchering a meat animal, she will notice if there are any glaring differences internally.

Hmmm... she hasn't had her first period yet. It would suck if she was the only person on the planet who has periods. Or, I suppose she could have a body identical to the locals. The fact that she has never closely examined, let alone occupied a female body before would explain why she didn't notice anything different.

Another interesting thought is that there seems to be more genetic diversity on that planet. We Earthlings have a decent variety of skin colors and hair textures, but nothing like the drow-like skin of the Kittrins.

Skin colour

Trust me, there are people on Earth with skin that is that dark. Mostly from West Africa, I guess. Ghanaians and nearby (most of whom are old French colonies so I get the names mixed up). Folk from the extreme south of India (eg Kerala) can get that dark as well.

When I lived in London many moons ago I used to see them around. I'd never seen people so dark. I think that most of what you call 'African-Americans' in the States are no longer pure-blooded and the further from the Equator one gets the less pigment a body needs anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised that you haven't come across any.

Yeah, about body parts. It's amazing what one assumes, once the exterior appearance seems to be the same, wouldn't you agree? After all, that is only what cross-dressing is.

Penny

Genetics

If this planet is in the future with more moons and different animals it has to be millions if years in the future to evolve different species. Humans will have evolved too and look a lot different.

If it's another planet it seems more likely to have different animals. But the chance to evolve humans exactly the same as on earth is ... Impossible.

Unless humans were transported to that planet just like Garia.

It's fun!

With other trusted people joining the council, the situation is going to start its inevitable highspeed development so remarkable of our modern world quite soon! :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Woah what a captivating

Woah what a captivating story...

I don't understand how I could get uncaptivated.

I really wonder what kind of planet this is. There were some indications about concreete buildings, but I wonder what that means. Is this some kind of terran colony, or some older intelligence that terraformed planets and this is a sister planet too earth. Does this involve time travel, or does this involve the actions of some god. Or is this simply an accident with ancient forgotten technology that made Gary into Garia and transported him/her into that strange world.

Thank you for writing this awesome story,

Beyogi

Yoh

I wonder if there is going to be another kidnapping attempt.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

New ideas

Jamie Lee's picture

Every time Garia speaks new ideas and concepts are revealed, things single inventors on Earth came up with or improved upon.

A bridge, for instances, of the length needed to cross that river, has never been considered because of its length. But Earth engineers have learned how to construct bridges much longer, and Garia has the general knowledge but maybe not the technical expertise to design one.

Palarand has been in a state of a perpetual circle for years, doing the same thing day in and day out, without anything new being introduced.

Along comes Garia and suddenly there are several forks in the road, anyone which could lead to the planets' destruction or advancement, depending on the people.

No one has noticed yet, but Garia has introduced either an eating utensil or a new weapon. And it depends on the people which it becomes.

Others have feelings too.

Every tool

has an alternative use as a weapon. Some are more effective than others!!