Life Drawing 101

Printer-friendly version

Life Drawing 101

by Jonelle

It was my first semester in the Art Department. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of drawing naked people, it really wasn't what I had in mind when I changed my major from Biochem.

I just thought I'd be able to draw some pretty pictures, and get away from all the formulae and math that I had no further tolerance for.

Don't get me wrong. I've always been a bit of a science geek. Astrophysics, sub-atomic particles; muons, nuons, quarks and the like have always fascinated me. Biology was just second nature though.

I grew up on a small farm. Nature was just reality for me. Birth, death, procreation; I saw it all from a very early age.

That's just the way the planet and humanity moved forward.

To what end, Who knows?

After wiping visions of dollar signs and endless government grants from my eyes, and drifting aimlessly through the Journalism school, this is where I found myself. One step further down the academic ladder.

The Art Department held dubious distinction at an overwhelmingly Engineering school.

We were relegated to unheated, former garages as far away from the 'mainstream' as possible.

It soon became clear, that this was a blessing.

My instructor was one of the most incredible men I've ever met. His vision of what was possible would've given Walt Disney wet dreams. In his mind, anything was possible. Convention Be Damned!

I latched on to that ideal with a relish I'd never felt before.

When he mentioned that our model had suddenly dropped-out, what else could I do?

I had to volunteer my services.

Of course, the other students were well along with their sketches. I really wasn't that concerned about them finishing their drawings with me as the model.

Then they started to suggest how I should pose; what I should do to appear more feminine.

This was the epiphany I'd been waiting for all my life.

I was...

I am....

A Woman.

up
103 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good for you!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

I was an art major in college

Andrea Lena's picture

...relegated to unused and unheated places; wide eyed and filled with awe for the teacher who had limitless imagination and nearly as much ability to pass that imagination to kids like me? The only thing missing in my real-life tale was the epiphany that came four decades later. This brought back so many memories but also instilled new vision as well. Excellent! Thank you!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Short Sharp Schock ?

This was neat and a nice surprise ending. Only one complaint, that it was a bit short. Liked your writing style too.

Briar

Briar

You might have

had dubious experiences in portraiture but you've raised the bar for me when it comes to very lovely short sweet elegance. You painted a vivid experience for me with the story with the story.
Absolutely great Jonelle.

Bailey Summers

Epiphany

Epiphanies can come from anywhere! Thank you for this wonderful simple story. Like a short story should it needs nothing more. Bravo!

Hugs!

Grover

Sweet short

Beautifully expressed.

1 out of 5 boxes of tissue and 7 gold starsDesHS.jpg

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Life Drawing 101

Short, sweet, to the point

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I want to see what they drew

I bet you look beautiful in those drawings. (real life too)

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png