The Blossoming of Billy - Part 9

Printer-friendly version

Billy’s mind was set at ease, at least a little. The doctor would be able to tell him what’s wrong but what if it came out that Billy was taking hormones? Would the doctor be able to tell? What would he say? What the heck was wrong with Billy?
 

The Blossoming of Billy
Part 9

By AshleyTS


 
A couple days later, Billy and his mom drove to the doctor’s office.

It had been a while since he had been to the doctors. His dad was of the mind-over-matter philosophy and, unless you were on your death bed, you trudged it out.

Billy was exceedingly nervous as to what the doctor would say. He was glad his mom was with him.

They entered the office and his mom had to fill out the usual forms that one would expect from an initial visit. Billy observed the office while she entered the insurance info, checked the boxes and all that fun stuff. Yep, pretty boring office. There were lots of magazines on the wall and end tables. It sure was clean but he kind of expected that from a doctor and that whole sterilized, healthy thing.

It seemed like this was a kid’s doctor because there were lots of toys by the back wall. There was even Playstation which seemed like a pretty cool idea. He was way too preoccupied though to even think about playing with anything.

There was another kid in there that seemed pretty nervous as well. The little boy was playing with the toys but did not seem to be enjoying himself. Who has a good time at the doctors? His mom was busy with her nose in a tabloid magazine. I guess no matter how you try to dress up the doctor’s office with bells and whistles, at the end of the day it’s still the doctor’s office.

Mom finished up the paperwork and handed it back to the receptionist and a few minutes later Billy was called in.

The nurse weighed him, measured his height and tested his blood pressure. He giggled at the pattern of animals on her scrubs. He had to pee in a cup which was mildly disturbing but necessary. He and his mom were then led to a small room which looked pretty sterile in design.

“Go ahead and undress down to your underwear and put on this gown. Dr. Fredericks will be here in a few minutes.” The nurse stated.

“Would you like me to leave while you undress?” his mom asked as she noticed the uncomfortable look on her son’s face.

“Yes”

Billy removed his clothes and placed the pale blue paper gown around his body. He then let his mother back in and sat on the bed looking thing.
 
 
Minutes passed and then a knock on the door came.

“Hello, I’m Dr Fredericks and you are?”

“Billy”

“Nice to meet you Billy. This must be Billy’s mom.”

“Yes. Nice to meet you.”

“Well great. So Billy, what brings you here today?”

Billy stammered.

“First, we want to get a routine physical. He has had some loss in strength lately and his skin has become softer. We’re worried that there may be a lack of vitamin or a deficiency in something that a growing boy needs.” His mom answered.

“Well let’s take a look then. Your chart looks fine.”

The doctor proceeded onto Billy’s chest, heart, lungs, reflexes, eyes, ears and groin.

“I am at a disadvantage here because I did not see you prior to the loss of strength or softening of skin. You have minimal arm muscle development which puts you around the 10th percentile. That basically means that 9 out of 10 boys your age have greater muscle development than you do.”

“Well that is very worrisome Doctor because Billy has always been in very good shape.”

“How much strength have you lost Billy?”

“A lot. I feel way weaker than I used to.”

“Ok. I am going to send you to get some blood work. It’s unusual for a boy your age to lose muscle tone. Your skin is very soft as well which is also uncommon. There could be a number of reasons for these symptoms ranging from vitamin deficiency to hormonal imbalance to an upcoming growth spurt.”

“Hormonal imbalance?” Billy nervously asked thinking about the hormones he used.

“Yes, it is not uncommon in pubescent boys. If that is the case we pinpoint what the issue is and address it. Let’s wait and see what the tests show. Other than that, you are a healthy young man. Go ahead and get dressed and we’ll have Nurse Lynn get you all set.”

“Thanks Doctor.” They both replied.
 
 
Billy got dressed and they got all the paperwork needed for the clinic.

“Mom, what do you think is wrong with me?” Billy asked his mother on the way to the clinic.

“I don’t know sweetie, but the doctor seemed very positive about helping you if there is anything amiss.”

Billy couldn’t get the thought that he would be discovered out of his head. Blood test? Surely it would show the doctor that he was messing with his hormones.

Blood was drawn.
 
 
Three days later they arrived back at the doctor’s office. Once again, Billy had no desire to play with any of the games as nerves engulfed him.

Knock, knock.

“Billy, how are you feeling?” Doctor Fredericks asked.

“Fine”

“Good. Well let’s take a look at the results here. First of all, you are a healthy boy.”

Billy and his mom let out a sigh of relief. Was he off the hook?

“You do have some elevated estrogen levels however, but they are within acceptable range. We will monitor you closely for the next several months and see what happens. Like I said before, this is not uncommon among boys going through puberty. What will most likely happen is your testosterone levels will increase and all these issues you are having will dissipate.”

Billy felt a huge weight lifted off his shoulders. Was this just temporary? He had estrogen in his system but was it on its way out?

They thanked the doctor and set up another appointment in a month.

“Well Billy, does that put your mind at ease a bit?” Mother asked on the way home.

“Yes mom. You’re not going to tell my brothers about the whole estrogen thing are you?”

“Oh honey, I would never embarrass you like that. We will keep this between us ok?”

“Ok mom.”


 
To Be Continued...

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

If only it was that simple!

If only it was that simple... Wait a few months and everything will be back to normal!!! Billy stopped taking the hormones some time ago... You would have thought by now they would have cleared from his body, Mom seemed quite happy to keep the estrogen a secret from Billy's brothers... makes you think that just maybe she knows more than she's saying!!!

Good story Ashley... i like the way that you keep us guessing!!

Kirri

Now, The Question Is

Whrther or not Billy's levels a from him now, or from lingering pills.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hmm...

It seems unlikely that the elevated estrogen levels are from the hormones he was taking, that should have leveled off pretty quickly if everything was normal. The doctor doesn't seem concerned, so maybe it isn't anything major, but then again...

I'm glad Billy's mom appreciates the problems it would cause him if his brothers heard about the elevated estrogen levels. That problem he does not need!

Thanks for another great chapter, Ashley!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

it conserns me

The doctor doesnt have all of the information. He was not informed that billy has taken some estrogen hormones on his own. THe doctor probably needs to know that so he can determin how the estrogen got in his system in the first place. I wonder what they will do now but it does consern me. THe doctor seems to be assuming that this is natural and his body will correct itself on its own but this has been going on for months. Its obvious that it wont just 'go away'

THey better do something before he starts growing breasts lol.

how the estrogen got in his system in the first place?

The estrogen is produced not only ovaries or gets to an organism from outside, but also produced suprarenal glands. Suprarenal glands are both at men, and at women.
For this reason the doctor was not disturbed by an estrogen origin.
Estrogen level in blood at men, on the average, at 10-12 time is less, than at women.
The doctor should send Billie to examine adrenal glands about a possible tumour.

A false diagnosis

RAMI

While some commentors have said that the estrogen Billy ingested several months ago should be out of his body, it would still have been better for the doctor to know that he was taking something. A is making a false diagnosis. Since this is fiction, what-ever he took might not be something equivalent to a real life product. Perhaps it has long lasting or time released effects.

That mom is not saying anything to the brothers does not by itself indicate that she knows what is going on, or is in some way assisting in it. The brothers have no reason to know what is wrong with Billy. If anything is said, a simple explanation that all is well and Billy is probably going through the beginning of a growth spurt would suffice.

RAMI

RAMI

About " false diagnoses".

For others I will not warrant, but I did not make diagnoses! Neither true, nor false. In the first - I not the doctor, in-second-any the doctor will not make the diagnosis in absentia, not seeing the patient.
I have only answered a question on an origin of an estrogen and have GIVEN A GUESS (HAVE not DIAGNOSED) about possible disorders in organism work.
"Since this is fiction"- our debate purely scholastic. At Billie horns and hoofs can grow (for example).
Any author, in relation to the heroes, the god. Frequently cruel and deprived of common sense, but the god. The author creates the world from a non-existence and with the stroke of the pen can send it back in a non-existence.
Accordingly in the world which has been thought up by the author, nature laws can operate as it is necessary to the author, also can not operate in general.
P.S. One more HYPOTHESIS (not the DIAGNOSIS!!!) in a theme. Maybe mum Billy has found out about his tricks with hormones? And now secretly adds an estrogen to him in meal?!

Half life

Hormones in the blood have a half life of about 24 hours.
Which means after about 10 days, the amount of Oestrogen in the system would be virtually undetectable ... and would be camouflaged by the Oestrogen produced naturally in the body. An adolsecent boy's testosterone is so pwerful it would burn holes in steel at forty paces.
Nope, there's something amiss with Billy's production.
I would have had a bit more of a discussion with the doctor - that was a very cursory exam in terms of something so unusual in his history

Length of Time of Effects of Hormones

You are right about the oestrogens (provided they were not depot versions that take longer to be eliminated from the body), but I seem to remember he was taking a weak diruetic called spironolactone too (as an anti-androgen). Please note the following (incomplete) list of known side effects from that drug:

vomiting
diarrhea
stomach pain or cramps
dry mouth
thirst
dizziness
unsteadiness
headache
enlarged or painful breasts in men or women !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
irregular menstrual periods
vaginal bleeding in post-menopausal ('after the change of life', the end of monthly menstrual periods) women
difficulty maintaining or achieving an erection !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tiredness !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
restlessness
lack of energy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
reduction of hirsutism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, from the package insert of one brand of this drug "Spironolactone has a fairly slow onset of action, taking several days to develop and similarly the effect diminishes slowly".

Briar

Briar