Project Wolf Den Part 8

Printer-friendly version

By the time Jasmine arrived back at the farm, the men were gone. She got a text message from Clare warning her. So, far the facial recognition program hasn’t found anything on them.

She parks her motorcycle back in its standard location and heads into the house through one of the secret tunnels leading from the barn. She goes upstairs to her bedroom and changes out of her work clothes. Once she takes her body suit off, she gets dressed. She fixes her hair and heads downstairs to the kitchen.

Jasmine grabs a roast from the deep freezer and puts it in the sink filled with cold water to defrost. Afterward, she steps outside to look around the house. She spots some footsteps and kneels to look at them. From the depth and size of the print, the guy had a big foot. She follows them around towards the back of the house and looks towards the woods.

Jasmine knew that there was a path cut for the game warden and forest rangers that ran behind the property. Clair and her team used to use it when they operated here at the property. There was a secret entrance back there that led to the cavern system under the property.

She turns around walks towards the house and goes inside. Since Clair and the others were out shopping. She sends Clair a text asking for them to bring back some lunch for her from Sally’s.

After doing that, Jasmine heads towards Clair’s home office and checks the security footage. She watches as the guys walk around the house, checking the place out. She didn’t recognize any of the people. She did a DMV search and within thirty minutes she had a match for both men.
Their names were Napoleon Smith and Chuck Brown. They lived near Alexandria, Virginia. Jasmine does a social security search on them and discovers that Chuck Brown worked for a waste collection company and Napoleon Smith worked for a cleaning service that had contracts with several government agencies.

They didn’t have any criminal activities on their record and were outdoorsmen. There were several pictures of them fishing, hunting, ATVing, and at a few car races. Jasmine leaned back in the leather chair behind the desk and wondered why they were here checking out her grandmother’s property.

She saves their information to the server down in the den. It may be old, but its style worked. The computer system down there needed to be upgraded. Maybe the next time Mr. Bounty comes to visit Clair, she’ll mention it to him.

Clair, Ada, and Ayla drive up the driveway and park. Ada and Ayla couldn’t believe the deals they found shopping at Bebe’s and the shoe store in town. Then they stopped at a diner called Sally’s Pub and had lunch. The food was outstanding and so was the service. Their waitress was nice and pleasant.

“Clair, that was fun.” Ada hasn’t had that much fun in a long time.

“I have to agree with Ada, Clair. That was fun and I’m coming to visit you when I need to shop.” Ayla had fun as well.

“I’m glad you ladies had fun. I know Jasmine wishes she could have joined us.” Clair walks up the steps towards the front door.

She presses her magnetic key against the doorknob opens the door and walks in. Ada and Ayla follow behind her. They could hear music coming from the kitchen and walk into the kitchen. They spot Jasmine dancing to the music playing. All three women watch as Jasmine shakes her booty and dances to the music.

“Jasmine seems to be having fun.” A smile forms on Ayla’s face.

“I’ll say.” Ada smiles as well.

Jasmine spots Clair and the others and waves to them. She noticed Clair had a carryout bag in her hands.

“Here’s the lunch you ordered, Jasmine.” As Clair hands the bag to Jasmine.

“Thanks, grandma.” Jasmine hugs Clair as she accepts the bag.

“So, did you ladies have fun shopping?” As Jasmine opens the bag and pulls out a take-out container.

“Yes. The prices were half of what they are in Alexandria. I’m coming back here to do my shopping from now on.” Ada loved saving money.

“You took them to Bebe’s didn’t you, grandma?” Jasmine looks towards Clair with a smirk on her face.

“Yes.” Clair smiles at Jasmine.

Jasmine just shakes her head back and forth. She loved that place as well.

“Is there a reason we shouldn’t have gone?” Ada looks confused.

“No, Bebe’s is a good place to shop. Since the pandemic, it has been struggling to stay open.” Jasmine knew the owner of Bebe’s had been doing everything they could to improve sales.

“Well, if it helps. We can spread the word about the place.” Ayla knew a few people who would be willing to drive the hour commute to save some money.

“That will help.” Jasmine takes a bite from her lunch.

“Come on girls, let’s get started on dinner.” Clair noticed the pot roast was defrosting in the sink.

“Okay.” Ada washes her hands in the other sink and begin peeling potatoes.

Ayla begins cutting up carrots, onions, and a few other root veggies Clair feels would do some good. Clair locates the roasting pan and starts mixing the spices she uses up. She’ll rub them into the meat once it is defrosted.

“Oh, grandma. A message came in for you while you were out. You might want to look at it.” Jasmine wanted Clair to look at the info she found out about the two men.

“Thank you.” Clair leaves the kitchen to look at the info.

Ada looks over towards Jasmine “So, did you get done with what you had to do?”

A smirk appears on Jasmine’s face “yes.”

Ayla notices the smirk and wonders what is going on between Ada and Jasmine. She didn’t believe there was a sexual attraction between the two, so there had to be something else. There was also a nagging feeling as well. She couldn’t put her finger on it.

“Jasmine, what are you studying in school?” Ayla learned Jasmine was in college.

“The criminal justice system. I’m thinking about getting my bachelor's degree in Criminal investigation or maybe Criminal psychology. I haven’t decided yet.”

“Are you planning on going into law enforcement?” Ada was curious.

“Maybe. I think our criminal justice system has some problems that need to be redone or extended. I just hate lawyers who take a razor and thinly slice the law to make it suit their purpose. Sometimes people forget are following the letter of the law or the spirit of the law.”

“You have to remember; that people are going to do whatever they can to ignore why a law was written. Or twist the wording of the law. No one wants to be held responsible for what they do anymore.” Ayla has run into people like that.

“You sound like you have some experience in that department.” Jasmine looks at Ayla when she says that.

“Not really. It’s just that history has shown that no one wants to honor their word. They always want to break it when they want something from people they promise.”

“You’re talking about the government and the promise they made to the Native Americans, aren’t you?” Ada looks at Ayla when she asks that question.

“Yes, I am. History has proven that people in power don’t always honor their or are ready to break it when it suits them.”

“I have to agree with you, Ayla. I may not be a native American, but they did get shafted like the Japanese and Germans did.”

“Mostly the Japanese,” Ada remembers reading about the intern camps.

“Now, it’s the transgender kids and the gay community, mostly the transgender people.” Jasmine knew a few people that the laws were affecting.

“There are times that the people who make these stupid laws should be made to answer for their fear-mongering.” Ada knew it wasn’t fair.

“You do know, the other side could say the same about those who support the LGBTQ community.” Ayla has heard things from some hate groups.

“I know.” Ada cuts up some more potatoes.

up
80 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Engineers and lawmakers

Engineers and lawmakers should be treated in the same way.
Engineers should have to build and disassemble their designs a couple of times before they can submit their design, quite a few would probably be altered.
and Lawmakers should have to experience the effects of their bills they propose before they vote on them, possibly in virtual reality. That and they shouldn't be able to add addons, if a bill can't make it on it's own it doesn't deserve to be added onto a useful bill and sneaked or rammed through.