Is it Science or Magic?

Printer-friendly version

Galaxy

Is it Science or Magic?

By Jo Dora Webster

Is any sufficiently advanced science indistinguishable from magic?

.

Tested to Withstand the Unexpected

Guardian Lawson protected his timeline against incursions.

A disembodied voice spoke, ~’Timeline divergence source identified, John. Chamblee, GA, USA 8/24/1956 8 PM EST”~

~’Deploy countermeasure to isolate its source!’~

A TV in the room blurted out, “Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!”

The universe blinked. ~’Original Timeline Restored’~

She smiled when her communicator chirped.

“Good job, Helen. Your husband wants you home to nurse your twins. Your shift’s over.”

“A pleasure, Control. If only I could be with my twins sooner! Lawson, out.”

Her high heels made a clicking sound on the Armstrong floor.

Tested to Withstand the Unexpected, Too

Guardian Robinson surprisingly had his son at work.

~'Alert! Timeline divergence source identified. Chamblee, GA, USA 8/24/1956 8 PM EST' ~

The boy was noisy and distracting! He dribbled down the floor. Such a racket!

~’Deploy countermeasure! The timeline must be preserved!’~

The universe blinked. ~’Original Timeline Restored’~

She smiled at Tina, dressed in her mom's work look, when her communicator chirped.

“Good job, Helen. Your shift’s over. How does Tina like 'take your daughter to work', day?”

“A pleasure, Control. Tina has been amazing, following in my footsteps! Lawson, out.”

Helen's and Tina's high heels clicked on the Armstrong floor.

Well Wishes

"I grant an unsolicited wish that another makes for you."

The Genie departed as quickly as she came, as an idea came to me.

I disguised myself as a woman, as best I could, and went to the interview.

"Lucille, you are hired as a cashier. Can you start now?"

"Of course, Sir!"

I took my place at the register, hopeful of ending my first sale.

"Thank you, Sir! Have a wonderful day!"

"I hope you have an amazing day, Miss!"

The Genie's magic made me a Miss. "I'm planning on it!"

More Well Wishes

"I grant a second unsolicited wish that another makes for you."

I turned my purse out, trying to find my badge which had vanished.

“My badge is missing, Sir.”

“Lucille, I have one for you, that Taylor turned in when she quit.”

I took my place at the register, wearing the cast-off badge.

“Thank you, Sir! Have a glorious day!”

“I hope you enjoy your performance at your concert tonight, Miss Swift!”

Afterward, the stagehand gave me my cue to take the stage to my screaming fans!

Next, my Super Bowl winning boyfriend showed me the time of my life.

Author's Note: this short-short story is composed of a pair of double drabbles. A drabble is a 100-word story. As such it forces the writer to take shortcuts to describe a great deal in a very few words. Allusions are made to things already known in order to draw in images without spending the words in the story to describe them. I call a drabble along with its sequel, a 'double drabble.'

up
37 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Really Twisted!

If you enjoy really twisted timelines and alternate universes, an all-powerful Goddess who cures with a kiss, then Wayne Manor: Egged On is for you. This offering by Sasha Zarya Nexus (my first pen name) is part of her Goddess of Nexus Universe ( A Super Friends FanFic 2007.)

May I also recommend the newcomer to transgender comics fiction starting in 2010 The Comics Recon Universe. However, the Comic Retcon Universe is not so nearly as twisted as Wayne Manor: Egged On.

100% of sales goes to support Big Closet Top Shelf by buying this twisted tale I wrote No Foolin' published from DopplerPress.

I am glad that I have given you something new for your enjoyment. I hope you will check out these other fine stories.

Jo Dora Webster

twisty timelines

giggles. fun double drabbles

huggles!

DogSig.png

Very clever

KateElizabethSuhr13's picture

I guess the character wanted to be a biological woman but couldn't wish for it outright so did the best they could to look like a woman so that they'd be mistaken for a woman. So as soon as someone referred to them as a miss and wished they have a great day, it made them become a her. The Taylor part I'm not too understanding on because the person who quit was named Taylor but where did the miss swift part come in to suddenly make her Taylor Swift?