What Would Jesus Do?

Printer-friendly version

Jesus and Transwoman

What Would Jesus Do?

By Jo Dora Webster

What if Jesus had met Tamar, a transwoman, as he walked the earth?


Greetings,

This short story is an allegory. No disrespect is intended by deriving it from The Message John 9. Please read the original story about the Jesus and the man born blind in The Message John 9 and make your own substitution. What would Jesus do if an encounter happened with a transwoman while traveling the Earth?

I've been around BCTS for more than fifteen years. What I think of as my first real story was 'What Would Jesus Do?' that I published under the name 'Jesus and the Transwoman' on a Christian website which was just getting started then and has since disappeared called Faithvine.

Exploring the impossibilities,
Jo Dora Webster

"That's the thing about faith...if you don't have it, you can't understand it. If you do, no explanation is necessary."

  • Star Trek: DS9 'Accession'

  • What Would Jesus Do?

    An Allegory by Jo Dora Webster

    Walking down the street on the Sabbath in a small village near Jerusalem, Jesus saw a woman with a problem. Her mind and spirit were that of a woman but her body looked like a man’s. She prettied and clothed herself as best she could. Her parents had finally come to their senses after many years of calling her Timon and accepted her as their daughter, Tamar. She saw that some of the men with Jesus were jeering and pointing at her. But Jesus showed kindness and love and Tamar hoped for a better life so she drew near to Jesus anyway. She fell at Jesus feet and looked up at Him.

    “Jesus, I am Tamar and I was born with a problem. I wish to be made whole."

    Thomas, who was the worst among the men with Jesus who pointed and jeered at Tamar had to get in the first word. He completely ignored her and spoke directly to Jesus.

    ”Rabbi, who sinned: this woman or her parents, causing her to be born with this problem?”

    ”You're asking the wrong question. You're looking for someone to blame. There is no such cause-effect here. Look instead for what The One can do. We need to be energetically at work for The One who sent me here, working while the sun shines. When night falls, the workday is over. For as long as I am in the world, there is plenty of light. I am the world's Light.”

    Jesus took the hand of Tamar and lifted her to her feet. Gone was the look of a patient teacher that he had directed toward Thomas and all that Tamar could see in Jesus eyes was love for her. There were quite a few people gathering around to see what was going on and what Jesus would do with Tamar.

    ”Go, wash at the Pool of Siloam”

    Tamar turned away and hurried to the Pool of Siloam. Their village was not too far from Siloam near Jerusalem. Tamar knew the way well since she washed there at night to hide her problem. She washed in the Pool of Siloam---and she was made whole. Tamar looked up to see her friend Leah holding out a towel which she took and wrapped around herself.

    "Hosanna to The One! The power of The One set me free! My problem is gone! Hallelujah!"

    “You are really no different from any other woman now, Tamar! It’s a miracle!”

    “I’m whole! I want to thank the Rabbi for my healing. Thank you for bringing me the towel. Now I can bathe with all the other women!”

    “Here are your clothes. I’ll leave you to get dressed. I can’t wait to spread your good news!”

    As Tamar dried and dressed, she noticed that she possessed all those attributes that she had lacked before. She rejoiced that she would never have to go wash in the pool at midnight again. She stopped for a moment and looked at her reflection in the now still pool. She was now beautiful and possessed all those attributes that she had lacked before. The special undergarments she had worn were no longer necessary because she was whole.

    Soon the town was buzzing. Tamar was accompanied by her friend Leah as they walked back for Tamar to thank Jesus. Ruth, an acquaintance of Leah’s caught up to them. Saul the Pharisee, seeing another chance to make a name for himself approached them, thriving on the controversy.

    Leah was telling everyone about Tamar’s good news. Tamar’s relatives and those who had seen her only as a woman with a problem asked each other in whispers the same question which Ruth spoke out loud.

    "Why, isn't this Timon with the problem who called herself Tamar?"

    ”It's her all right! My friend Tamar has been made whole! Not even Saul can deny that!”

    ”It is not the same woman at all. She just looks like her.”

    ”It's me, the very one.”

    ”How did you become whole?”

    ”A man named Jesus told me, 'Go to Siloam and wash.' I did what he said. When I washed, I was whole.”

    ”So where is he?”

    ”I don't know.”

    Saul saw this as the chance he had hoped for and seized Tamar. Tamar was disappointed that she would be delayed in thanking Jesus but Saul’s tight grip on her meant she had no choice now.

    “This Jesus has broken the Sabbath again! The other Pharisees will want to question you. Come with me, Tamar!”

    Saul marched Tamar to the Pharisees. Leah, Ruth and many of those around them went as well. The gathering quickly took on the atmosphere of a court with Caiaphas, presiding and of course Saul prosecuting. Nicodemus, who saw Jesus as a great teacher, was determined to interject any defense that he could for Tamar. Saul questioned Tamar before those assembled.

    ”Now Tamar, if that is really your name, answer truthfully before The One and this holy group of Pharisees. You claim that Jesus sent you to the Pool of Siloam. How did you come to be made whole on this Sabbath?”

    ”I washed, and now I am whole.”

    ”Obviously, this man, Jesus, can't be from The One. He doesn't keep the Sabbath.”

    ”How can a bad man do miraculous, The One revealing things like this?”

    Nicodemus felt good about the question he asked. Saul afraid of losing the point started a shouting match with Nicodemus, recognizing that there was a split in their ranks.

    "Jesus is crazy, a maniac–out of his head completely!"

    "Can a 'maniac' heal her problem?"

    "Silence! I, Caiaphas, will deal with her! Tamar, you're the expert. He made you whole. What do you say about him?"

    Tamar: "He is a prophet."

    “He’s not a prophet! I don’t believe you used to be Timon either! There are Timon’s parents, Joshua and Miriam, coming in right now. Let’s ask them!”

    Joshua and Miriam, Tamar’s parents, were led before the assembly while Tamar was led to the side to wait. They were concerned for Tamar’s welfare and had heard the rumors that she had been made whole and they wanted to see for themselves. Her parents marveled that she had indeed had been made a whole woman now glowing in her femininity. Ruth and Leah stood in the crowd nearby, fearful for Tamar and hoping not to be caught up in the proceedings as well.

    ”Is this your daughter, the one you say was born with a problem? So how is it that she now is whole?”

    We know she is our daughter, and we know she was born with a problem. But we don't know how she came to be made whole–haven't a clue about who made her whole. Why don't you ask her? She's a grown woman and can speak for herself.”

    Leah could see Miriam trembling and was very proud of Tamar’s father, Joshua, as he answered Caiaphas . She leaned over and whispered an explanation to Ruth.

    “Ruth, Joshua must have said that because he is intimidated by the Pharisees. They would kick them out of the meeting place if they claimed that Jesus is the Messiah. Who could deny that with Tamar being made whole?”

    Disappointed that the only thing that Joshua had done was confirm Tamar’s identity, they let Joshua and Miriam go. They led Tamar back before them for a second time.

    ”Give credit to The One. We know this man is an impostor.”

    ”I know nothing about that one way or the other. But I know one thing for sure: I had a problem. Now I am whole.”

    ”What did he do to you? How did he make you whole?”

    ”I've told you over and over and you haven't listened. Why do you want to hear it again? Are you so eager to become his disciples?”

    That was the last straw for Saul who was doing the questioning. Gone was any resemblance of decorum as he jumped all over her.

    ”You might be a disciple of that man, but we're disciples of Moses. We know for sure that The One spoke to Moses, but we have no idea where this man even comes from.”

    ”This is amazing! You claim to know nothing about him, but the fact is, he made me whole! It's well known that The One isn't at the beck and call of sinners, but listens carefully to anyone who lives in reverence and does His will. That someone made whole a woman born with a problem has never been heard of–ever. If this man didn't come from The One, he wouldn't be able to do anything.”

    ”You're nothing but dirt! How dare you take that tone with us!”

    Saul himself took hold of her and threw her out in the street. Since she had showed him up good, he decided to follow her and see if he could find out something else to stir up trouble. Jesus had heard about the assembly and that she had been cast out of it so he went looking for her. When Jesus found Tamar she was overjoyed that she could finally thank Him.

    “Jesus, thank you! Now I am whole!”

    ”Do you believe in the Son of The One?

    ”Point him out to me, sir, so that I can believe in him.”

    ”You're looking right at him. Don't you recognize me?”

    ”Master, I believe,”

    Tamar had fallen at Jesus feet and worshiped him. Saul stood by and looked on with contempt. Jesus seeing Saul addressed him.

    "I came into the world to bring everything into the clear light of day, making all the distinctions clear, so that those who have never seen will see, and those who have made a great pretense of seeing will be exposed as blind."

    "Does that mean you're calling us blind?"

    "If you were really blind, you would be blameless, but since you claim to see everything so well, you're accountable for every fault and failure."

    “Jesus provided far more God-revealing signs than are written down in this book. These are written down so you will believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and in the act of believing, have real and eternal life in the way he personally revealed it.”

    The Gospel According to John, Chapter 20, Verses 30 and 31, The Message

    .

    The allegory “What Would Jesus Do?” is a recasting of the transwoman, Tamar for the blind man of The Message, John 9.

    .

    In both cases they are born with congenital problems and both have to deal with the consequences of receiving a miracle. Although The Message remains silent on Harry Benjamin Syndrome, there are parallels which can be drawn to tell the story of the transwoman as an allegory in ”What Would Jesus Do?”


    up
    72 users have voted.
    If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

    Comments

    The Message is wonderful!

    Andrea Lena's picture

    You're asking the wrong question. You're looking for someone to blame.

    I've often felt that about myself; as if I did something wrong... as if being me was wrong. Thank you for this blessing.

      

    To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
    Love, Andrea Lena

    Thanks for reading and commenting on this new version

    I'm glad that you enjoyed this story. My intention was two fold in writing it in this manner. By sticking very closely to the Bible account in John chapter 9, it is easy to see how much in common the blind man who was written about has in common with the transwoman which the bible is silent on. I took my inspiration from the verse in John 21:30 that "Jesus did many other miraculous signs which are not recorded in this book."
    The blind person had a congenial condition which is what a transwoman has as well. What Jesus said about the person with the congenital condition is especially uplifting in that he told his disciples that the person with the congenital condition did not get it through sinning or from the sin of parents.

    The second reason for writing so close to John 9 is to point those who are transgendered to scripture which affirms that our condition is not attributable to sin as some in the religious community who do not live up to the name 'Christian' in their treatment of us in that they do not follow the example of Christ in their treatment of us. Even when there is a medical test to confirm 'gender dysphoria' as a medical disorder instead of detecting the symptoms of the mental disharmony, these people may not be convinced of the truth since it conflicts with their agenda in condemning us. But the truth that we already have since we don't need proof makes us free to ignore them as either genuinely mistaken or intentionally oppressive.

    Jo Dora Webster

    Very nice! A well told tale...

    Ole Ulfson's picture

    I think you captured everything just perfectly.

    Thank you for an inspiring story, Jo,

    Ole

    We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

    Gender rights are the new civil rights!

    Jesus got the last word

    Hi Ole

    Thank you for the encouraging comment. I hope that by including this new version based on all of John 9 that it will be a blessing. I missed the most important part in the original version where at the very end after the trial of Jesus in absentia via Tamar that Jesus has the last word and puts that group of religious people in Jesus time, in their proper place. Hallelujah!

    Jo Dora Webster

    What Would Jesus Do?

    Sadly, the world is full of people who claim allegiance to Jesus but don't practice His teachings. They fear what they don't understand and deny God's involvement.

    S.

    Jesus loved and healed her

    Hi Susan,

    Thanks for reading and commenting on this story. It looked like almost every one in the town be it parents, friends, people at large, and even the most learned pharisees had a lesson to learn from this experience. He started by correcting the misinformation of his own followers and showed love for Tamar by publicly giving her a healing that all recognized as real. Finally the religious of the time that should have known the most put Tamar and Jesus on trial. Even by bringing all of the facts to light, they did not learn so Jesus tried to teach them a lesson at the end.

    But the most important one was Tamar who went through the entire experience. And in the end we know that she learned the most since she end up worshiping at Jesus feet. When all is said and done, the only person we have to answer for is ourselves. I guess that at the end when you've done your best to explain and they still refuse to love then it is out of your hands. In the end Jesus will put them in their place so we just have to hold on till then.

    Jo Dora Webster

    Thank you again

    Hi Dorothy,
    Thank you for commenting on this story and on the earlier version that is now removed from this site but still available on Stardust.

    I highly recommend everyone going to the link in Dorothy's comment above and reading her story 'Hem Of His Garment' It excellently recreates the times in her narration and is faithful to the scriptures. And it has one of the things that I like most in a story. No, I'm not going to spoil that here. You can read her story and look at my comment at the end and discover what that is.

    We are blessed to have a number of authors here which capture the true message of Christ to the transwoman. A message not of condemnation but of love. Hallelujah!

    Jo Dora Webster

    Science Always Drives Belief

    I am scientist before blind believer, and it is that science that has convinced me that "The One" as you say it, is real, as is The Son. The rest of it, we quarrel about, to our own discredit. It was once thought that Leprosy was daemon possession, but now it is known as Hansen's disease and is controllable if not curable.

    We now know about such things as Hermaphrodites, Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome, about differences in the brain that cause issues, about how conditioning in early childhood can alter one's presentation.

    Perhaps in my lifetime, we will see T folk treated very differently. I've met lots of different types of T folk, from those who do their utmost to be women, to those who simply like to wear a dress and self abuse. I pass no judgement on anyone. It is for one greater than I to solve.

    Gwendolyn

    hope for the future

    Thank you Gwen for reading and commenting on this new version of this story. I appreciate so much your insights and your comment really adds something needed to the presentation of the story here on BCTS. Your feelings echo my own but you have been able to express them in a way that I couldn't.

    I was always taught that scripture was scientifically accurate. That sometimes the science has to catch up to present accurate information. It is especially true in the case of T*folk. I hope that science catches up soon to provide more basis for legal protection. Of course there are always some who ignore facts and follow their own agendas anyway.

    It is especially hopeful that we have such an intelligent and expressive woman like you on our side. That gives hope for the future as more follow your example.

    Jo Dora Webster

    Well done

    It could have happened, just like that.

    Hugs,

    Kaleigh

    If only

    That's what I keep trying to tell my parents. That their bible has John 9 missing if they can't accord the same compassion to me that Jesus did for the 'man born blind' I'm a woman with a problem too. One day it won't be a problem any more and I am looking forward to that day.

    Jo Dora Webster