When Stories Collide

Printer-friendly version

When Stories Collide
By Teek
April 2023
770 words long

Author's Note: When I am writing one story and another story idea starts bubbling up in my head, it is not always a peaceful co-existence or handoff. Sometimes, the characters from the two different stories try to dominate my thoughts. The winner gets me to finish their story first. This is the tale of when Amanda, from my story, True Self Syndrome, started to fight for my attention, while I was still working on a story called, Teacher's Recommendation (note that story is still unfinished and unposted). Marla and Elizabeth from that story confront Amanda.

~o~O~o~

“Amanda,” Marla stormed into the void of creativity. “What do you think you are doing?”

Amanda looked down at herself, sitting criss-cross applesauce on the floor. Looking back up at Marla and then over at Elizabeth, who was slowly walking into the void, “I am not doing anything. Just sitting here waiting patiently for Teek to write my story.”

“That is a bunch of baloney,” Marla stomped her foot. “Teek is thinking about your story, not mine. Stop it.”

Amanda put her hand on her chest, “Marla, I have no control over what Teek does.”

“Then why is she thinking about stopping my story and writing your story?”

Amanda smiled, “Well, I do have a better story than yours.”

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, “Your story isn’t better than Marla’s. It is just different.”

“Are you sure,” Amanda asked? “Mine has MAGIC!”

“Oooooohhhhh, Magic,” Marla’s eyes went wide.

“See Elizabeth,” Amanda’s grin got wider. “Even Marla thinks my story is better than hers.”

“Wait,” Marla looked between Elizabeth and Amanda. “I didn’t say that. Did I?”

“No, Marla, you didn’t,” Elizabeth affirmed. “Now, whatever you are doing, Amanda, stop it. Let Teek finish writing our story. Then she can write your story.”

“It’s not my fault that my story is more interesting. Don’t worry Marla, Teek will finish your story. She has been working on it for a few years now. Every now and then, she gets another idea and focuses on that, but she always comes back to your story. For some strange reason, she has a special place in her heart for you and Elizabeth.”

Elizabeth stood up straight and smiled down at Amanda, “Well, our story is about accepting kids with disabilities. That’s important.”

“That’s nothing,” Amanda flicked her hand as she discarded that idea. “I’m Autistic and Transgender. You should see my parent's reaction to everything my story throws at them.”

With a devilish grin on her face, Amanda swirled her finger around until a bubble appeared. She blew on the bubble, making it fly up into the sky.

“What was that,” Elizabeth inquired?

“Nothing, just another idea for my story. It wasn’t even a full idea. If I get a small little concept, I put it in a bubble and let it percolate in Teek’s mind into she turns it into a full idea. You should see some of the great things Teek has come up with for my story. Did you know that she has one of the teenage witches in my story magically transform into a princess for us little kids?”

“Yeah,” Marla complained. “That idea was so strong it caused Teek to stop working on my Vampirina music group for the talent show. Now stop it. I want Teek to finish writing my story.”

Elizabeth looked up at several bubbles floating above their heads. They were dancing around like they were in a pot of boiling water, “If you can turn Teek’s focus to your story idea, then I can do the same.”

Marla looked over at Elizabeth twirling her finger around. Slowly a bubble started to appear. Inside the bubble was an image of Tommy on stage doing nothing while everyone else was singing.

“Wait a minute,” Amanda complained. “That’s not fair. You created a whole problem for Teek to solve. She was a special education teacher. She loves solving disability related problems.”

Elizabeth smiled at Amanda, “Yup, she does. You’re a new story idea, Amanda. We have been around for years. Teek has left our story several times and always comes back to it. We know how to influence Teek. This time we are going to get Teek to actually finish our story. I don’t care how fun and exciting your story is. We want our story to be finished. The end is in sight. Teek would probably be done if you hadn’t distracted her with magic. You want to get Teek’s mind whirling with the whimsical? Well, we can get her mind spinning with beloved characters she has worked with for years. You want to sit at the big girl's table, then be prepared to fight for your right to be there. Until then, maybe you should go back to the baby playpen. Once Teek is done writing our story, I will get you out and let you send as many whimsical ideas to Teek as you want. I might even help you. Magic to help in a Special Education school sounds like a lot of fun.”

As Marla and Elizabeth turned to leave the void, Amanda twirled her finger around and created another bubble.

up
106 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The "record" for 'pushy' characters might be held by ...

... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Masterharper_of_Pern. His author, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_McCaffrey says he (the MasterHarper) kept 'putting himself forward' until she wrote his 431 page novel.
---
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Heinlein says the 'seed' for his novel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Door_into_Summer came from a cat who insisted on seeing for himself that winter was outside of all 13 of his farmhouse doors. His Wife said "He's looking for the Door Into Summer."

Oh, that was such fun!

You never cease to amaze me, Teek.

Magic And Mischief

joannebarbarella's picture

How many of our ideas come from those little bubbles floating in the air?

Glad I'm not the only one

I get annoyed when a new idea wanders into my brain and evicts the one in progress. That's why I have several partials on my hard drive.

When I was attempting to write a mystery story, Mary Payson came along and hijacked it, but it turned out they both ran off together and lived happily ever after.

Wandering ideas

Teek's picture

My story, Teacher's Recommendation, was started in 2020. It is currently over 115,000 words long (350 pages). Many ideas have wandered into my head during the last few years. Some even percolate long enough for me to write something down. The Mini-Stories (or Snippets) that I have been posting lately are often my way to get some of those ideas out of my head so I can get back to Teacher's Recommendation. Occasionally, a full story comes out, like True Self Syndrome, before allowing me to return.

Those floating bubbles with creative ideas are cool and frustrating all at the same time. I know I'm in trouble when a whole character is developed, and starts self generating those bubbles. I would love to say I am currently back on Teacher's Recommendation, but I can't. A new story has flooded my brain with bubbles (they must have one of those fancy bubble making machines and a fan to blow the bubbles into my head). The story, Project Chronos, is currently 36,000 words (110 pages) long, and has my muse's complete focus. I have promised Marla and Elizabeth I would finish their story, but it will just have to wait a little longer. While they wait, however, the rest of you get to enjoy some of the ideas that keep wandering or floating into my head.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

That would explain it

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

Now I better understand the process going on in my head as I have three stories vying for my attention with snippets of others making their presence known in the wings of my mind, impatiently waiting for me to pay proper attention to them.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

An interesting concept

Well written and presented. An interesting story in other words.