Essentially Egg. Part 19 of 39

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 19

I had tears in my eyes. When I looked around, Pet and the other girls who had seen it already were also glistening. Jordan sat with tears streaming down his face. He turned to me and buried his head into my shoulder. Pet had let go of my hand and was comforting a weeping Anton. Ian and Matty were wet-eyed. Abigail was rocking a weeping Matt.

Flora said, “I think it still has the power to heal.”

It took some time for everyone to get back together. The two girls from post-production said that they had seen the last bit several times while working on it but hadn’t expected what they felt seeing it complete.

One said that she felt as if every bit of her fears and worries had fallen away and the other one agreed.

I asked both Janet and Helen if they were all right. Both of them said that they felt refreshed, rather than drained of bad thoughts.

I had worried that the effect may have reversed the original treatment. All of those unaffected in the room were seemingly those with no hang-ups that they knew of who were happy with their lives.

We kept the door firmly shut as we got our drinks from the tea and coffee that waited for us. Allan had red eyes as well.

I asked him if he’d seen the original performance as I remembered that he hadn’t been sitting beside Helen at the end.

He told me that as a technology nut he had been in the TV truck watching and talking to the producer and had been walking back toward the backstage as we had finished. He told me that my dad had told him that he was not having bad dreams any longer and that he would let me know in the morning if they had left him as well. No-one put forward the suggestion that the Swan should be cut.

The TV manager knew a good thing when he saw it. When we left the room, we were led to a studio where the six of us were made-up for TV. A set of flustered morning show hosts came in and spoke to us for about thirty minutes before we all got cleansed and normal make-up reapplied.

The guys had been sitting in the audience seats and were strictly instructed not to make a sound, as the normal audience would react in real time when the interview went out.

By the time we got to a restaurant for a lunch, Jordan had recovered, and his eyes were bright and darting around as if he was seeing the world for the first time and taking it all in.
“I envied Josie for being in the bright lights, but now see that it’s a lot of work. We’ve been pampered by everyone we meet and yet I feel like I’ve done a day of hard work. How can you girls stand it?”

Emily was standing nearby, and she answered for me. “How do we stand it? We just go with it and enjoy the life, honey. After the hard work of writing the music and the performing for two or three hours on stage, this is the easy part.”

After lunch we kissed our guys as they were taken away in the bus for a new experience. If they thought that the morning had involved pampering, they sure had a surprise waiting.

Allan, Helen, and Flora were whisked off in a town car. The six of us were bundled into a stretch to go to the salon where we all had the works, emerging back into the daylight looking, and feeling, like goddesses. Back in the stretch, we went to the dress shop where they were waiting for us with our outfits for the evening, along with the right shoes, bags, and jewels.

That all took the whole afternoon. When we got back to the hotel, we found five guys who may have been boys a few hours earlier. They now looked like successful businessmen.

“They scrub up well, I knew I should have brought one of my own,” remarked Janet.

Emily told her that she’ll get her chance another time.

We had some time to freshen up and assembled in the lobby, much to the amazement of other guests. We were joined by Allan and Helen who had their own glad-rags and then Flora, looking quite regal in something that I knew had been bought for the occasion.

We were told that our transport had arrived. When we went outside, we found seven town cars, one for each couple. The trip was quite a long one, as Algernon lived some way from the city.

We arrived on a small street, and I saw a sign that read Buckminster. I wondered if we were lost as this was not the huge estate I had envisioned. We pulled into the driveway of a property that looked like it may have once been two properties, where both had been altered to make one huge home.

There were plenty of cars there already and our driver told us that he would be contacted when we wanted to leave, because only the vehicles of the top people had room on the property. He confided that this was the first time the owners had put on a party like this. He hoped it wasn’t the last.

A valet opened the car door for us. We got out and the driver left by an exit gate, possibly to pick up more guests. The valet asked us to wait until all of our party had arrived. Jordan and I stood under a marquee as the others came in and joined us.

When we had all arrived, a footman came over and asked us to follow him. I say “footman” because he could have been an extra in a costume drama set in Victorian times. In the house, we were led into an obvious bit of remodelling because it was a sumptuous ballroom with a small band playing light music.

There were a lot of people already there, who turned to look at us as we entered. I saw Kelly in a magnificent evening dress with enough diamonds to drill to China.

She came over and told us that it was time to meet our hosts for the evening.

Jordan had been very gentlemanly, putting his arm out to put my hand on. He looked as if he was actually happy.

Kelly led us to where our hosts were. The couple left their conversation and came over to greet us. Algernon was a most impressive man, white-haired, with a cheery glint in his eyes. He gave me a hug and shook Jordan’s hand and welcomed us both to his “little” get-together.

His wife, on the other hand gasped when she saw me. She gave me a very strong hug and said, “Thank you, I think you’re the one who changed my life!”

Pet and Anton got the same treatment. We stepped aside for the rest of the band to be introduced. Fiona then beckoned to a couple of teenage girls to come and meet their favorite band. We all gave them both a hug and told them that we were happy to meet them.

We were then free to circulate and meet the rest of the guests. Many seemed to know who we were. Others told Pet and me how much they enjoyed the concert. Some even said that the Pixies show had been great.

Jordan was doing well, talking freely.

I wondered if this morning chased away all of his inner demons. I half listened to the small band. They were pretty good at what they did.

Eventually we were ushered into a similar-sized room next door, which had been set up with tables and chairs. We were led to a long table where our whole group were seated along with Kelly, Richard and our host and his family. We were on the top table with a billionaire.

What else was in store?

The meal was good and surprisingly normal. No great chef tricks, but decent service, hot, and tasty. The dessert was also simple.

I had the thought that this billionaire must have come from a much lower stock and had not left his roots far behind. I noted that no-one was leaving anything on their plates. Looking across the other tables I noticed the orchestra leader and all the firsts among the other guests.

When we had all finished eating and had drinks in our hands, our host stood, went to a microphone, and then asked for quiet. “I know you are all wondering why you are here tonight. We haven’t been known for being social butterflies in the past. I can assure you that this is the first event of many in the future. My wife and my daughters attended a concert a few weeks ago where they were entertained by the fabulous Pixies. I thank the entire band who have joined us tonight.”

People applauded.

He went on. “I didn’t go to that show but did go to the concert organized by my good friend Lady Grove, which, my daughters told me, featured two of the entertainers from the week before, in a totally different guise. I’ve spoken to several people who explained that it was a debut for both young ladies due to the advertised soloist calling in sick. The concert I saw looked like it was presented by seasoned performers. They both showed a level of talent that no-one had suspected. That concert had a profound effect on both me and my wife. We both cried at the end, and it leads me to the announcements I’m making tonight.”

He stopped for a sip of water. “Tonight, I’m announcing a donation from my company to the orchestra to allow them to attract the stars that we want to see in Boston. That donation will be five million dollars a year, for the next ten years.”

The other diners applauded.

I could see the orchestra members at their tables hugging and smiling.

“Good for them,” I thought. “It made our involvement well worthwhile”.

He then looked at his smiling wife, “One of the effects of that concert was that we both, and many others in the hall, found ourselves crying. With our tears, we appeared to lose our fears and inhibitions. With that in mind, I have talked to my managers, and we have come up with something which should help others to release their own fears. A great number of our countrymen suffer from depression and anxiety. To address this, I will invest ten million dollars into an Institute which will look into the effect of music on the frail, infirm, and anxious people within my own clinics. We need to try to understand just what makes music a healing force.”

Again, much applause followed his remarks.

“I wanted to call it the Grosse-Flower Institute but was given to understand that the two angels who played that night have enough on their plate. Instead, it will be known as the Grove Institute. Lady Grove has agreed to be its first Chairperson. We will make room in one of our hospitals and recruit a team of specialists to explore the concept.”

During more applause, Pet turned to me. “Thank goodness for that. If I ever get something named after me, it will have to be a music school.”

I wasn’t unhappy. Kelly had put a long time into bringing music to the good folk of Boston. I expected that she would be fantastic as the Chairperson.

Before he sat down again Algernon had one more trick up his sleeve. “Tonight, I also announce, on top of the donation to the orchestra, a yearly underwriting of one night of the season, continuing indefinitely. It will allow Lady Grove, and her successors, to put together a concert of their choosing with all costs covered. I know that she’ll use this to bring innovation to the stage and probably make us question our likes and dislikes in classical music.”

More applause followed.

I could see the members of the orchestra hugging and high fiving. The endowment would cement about one eighth of a long season and free scarce funds for other things.

Again, I wondered why we were here. Then I looked through the doors to the ballroom where the band had moved back, and a cello, violin, and viola was revealed. I nudged Pet. “Looks like we may be asked to be the after-dinner entertainment.”

She looked and laughed. I then glanced to Antonio at one of the other tables, who smiled broadly, and then gave me an exaggerated wink.

Before he sat down, Algernon looked over to us. “Tonight, while it’s not possible to bring you the complete orchestra, I humbly ask Edweena and Petunia, if they could join Antonio to recreate that last piece of music that broke our barriers and cleansed our souls.”

We both smiled and nodded. The meal carried on, as he sat down.

“Surely they should have asked you before, if you wanted to play?” Jordan asked in a whisper.

I said that it seemed to be part of my life that some performances came out of the blue. “Anyway,” I added. “We’re the Sisters and the Sisters Rule.”

When the meal was over, we all stood and mingled for a while. Pet and I found Antonio and we went into the ballroom to make sure the instruments, the same ones we had played on stage, were playable and in tune.

The small band had left their kit on the stage, including a standard set of drums, a couple of guitars, and a keyboard. Tucked away beside the stage I noticed what looked like a piano under a dust sheet and went to have a peek. It was a baby grand and a plan sneaked into my brain.

I pointed out everything to Pet.

She didn’t have to be told what I was thinking.

“Tell Jan that she should use brushes and tell the others to play quietly,” I hissed.

She went off to talk to the others. I went to see Fiona to ask her if we could have the piano uncovered and pushed forward as I would like to play a little bit, before we did the Swan. She thought it would be lovely and went off to get a couple of the footmen to do the job.

I spoke to Antonio, told him what I was planning and asked him if he would like to be on stage with us and maybe pluck the cello like a bass to some of our songs. He smiled and said he would love it.

I added that the first viola may like to join in if she liked.

He said she was a fan, and it would be a high point for her. I then went to find Abigail and told her that I wanted to play a few etudes on the piano to get things moving. I asked her to wander over, stand by the piano, and be ready when I moved into the introduction of one of our songs.

Lastly, I went over to Kelly and Algernon and said that I had seen the piano and we just couldn’t do the Swan without a bit of musical lead-up. He smiled and told me that I could do as I wished, and he would be happy to listen.

He then went to the microphone, “Ladies and Gentlemen. Miss Edweena Grosse has said that she would play a little piano music before we hear the main event. If you would like to carry your chairs into the ballroom, you may be more comfortable.”

In the meantime, I went over to Moyra and Beverley, his two daughters and asked them if they liked Sisters music.

Moyra beamed, “Oh, yes, we sometimes sing to our hairbrushes.”

I grinned mischievously, “I’m going to play a little trick on your dad. There’ll be a bit more than a couple of tunes tonight. If you feel the desire to come up on the stage and sing along, we will be happy to have you join in.” I gave them a wink and they giggled.

The guests all started moving into the ballroom. I found Jordan in a deep conversation with Matt. When I got to them, Jordan said, “Matt and I were just talking about our experiences this morning. He was telling me that although he had been a football star in college, when he thought about the responsibility of playing for money, he couldn’t bring himself to try out.”

Matt nodded. “Yes, but, after this morning I feel as if it doesn’t matter any longer, I’m going to try out at a team that has offered me a place. If I get picked, I’m going to do my best and not worry about failure. I feel free now.”

I smiled. “That’s good. Now, we’re going to play the Swan tonight a little later. I want you to both think hard about how it affects you. Janet told me that she felt refreshed, after hearing it the second time this morning, so let me know if you feel the same. Jordan, darling, I’m afraid that I have to go and earn our place in tonight’s soiree, but I promise to make it up to you later.”

I wandered over to the piano and ran my fingers up the keyboard to make sure it was in tune. I started playing a little Erik Satie piece to allow the guests to stop talking and start listening.

I had my back to them so couldn’t see what was happening but could sense that they were now seated and concentrating. I moved into a couple of the etudes and then the ragtime mix of Pixies tunes. Abigail came and leaned against the piano and gave me a wink. As the ragtime mix finished, I went straight into the intro of one of the ballads and Abigail started singing.

It was all low key. As we went through the song, I heard Janet come in on the brushes and it was all very nightclub-like. There was a bit of polite applause when we finished, but I went straight into another ballad. As it progressed, I could sense movement on the stage as Emily joined in on keyboard and Joyce brought in the guitar. With the next song, Pet was on the stage. I also heard a bass line emerging from the cello followed by the viola.

We did another slow and easy ballad.

Pet then led us into one of our hits.

Finally, we were joined by the sisters who came up and sang along with us through a string of three of our hit numbers that we were sure they would know.

I nodded to Abigail.

She looked at Pet and gave a sweep with her finger to say it was the last. As we finished, I stood and turned to face our small audience. Not all had been seated. There were several couples standing in the empty spaces clapping, so there must have been some dancing.

I took a small bow and then went up on stage, hugged the sisters who looked like they had just won the lottery. I then took the violin from Pet, who collected the viola from the first as she left the stage smiling broadly.

The other Sisters all then went back to their guys.

Pet, Antonio, and I prepared to play the Swan as the last item for the night. It was deathly quiet as Antonio drew his bow over the strings and we went deep into the joy of the music.

I played, as I usually did, with my eyes shut. When, as the last notes hung in the air, I opened them to see a number of guests weeping openly, while the others started applauding. I looked at Jordan who smiled and gave me the thumbs up, so it may have refreshed him as I thought it would.

Kelly and Algernon came over. Algernon got up on stage and gave the three of us a hug and then turned to the audience. “I think I’ll make another announcement tonight. At least one of next year’s orchestra seasons has to include this wonderful group we have just been entertained by. What we’ve just heard were not the Pixies, but something far more refined. I think they have a long career ahead of them. I do thank you girls for lighting up my party and you’re all welcome any time you’re in Boston.”

Moyra and Beverley were off with their friends, hugging everyone they could. I could see some of their friends showing them pictures on their phones, so I guess that they will be the center of attention for a little while.

Kelly was standing next to me with her arm over my shoulder, as if I was a long-lost daughter. “Kelly, I think that the first thing you and the Institute should look into is the effect of tonal harmonics. I’m not sure if it was just the tune, but more the effect of the three different instruments. It may even just be a single chord played together that causes a harmonic in a person that causes them to be released. It doesn’t affect those who are stable and have no hang-ups. It refreshes those who’ve heard it before. The thing is that I’ve never heard the Swan played as a trio like ours before.”

She gave shoulder a squeeze. “Thank you, Doctor Edie, you may well be right. I feel as if I had just had a good shower followed by a brandy. Come along, it’s time you met a few more of the guests. I think they want to speak to you.”

On the way we collected Jordan who looked like he had just gotten out of bed, he was so bright. I thought, wickedly, that next time he gets out of bed he’ll look a bit more ragged.

Kelly introduced us to three couples who were friends of hers and all had different orchestras. All three wanted to talk about Pet and me gracing their stages. One even started talking about an orchestral Pixies’ concert.

I referred all three to Allan, who Kelly had beckoned over. As the discussion continued, I found that one had a big orchestra in Chicago, another hailed from Washington, and the guy who wanted a full band on stage was from New York.

Allan told them to put forward their proposals and likely dates. He would see what we could do. He gave them his business card.

I asked them to let me know what they wanted us to play because we may not be as lucky as we were here in Boston.

The Chicago guy asked, “Lucky, how?”

Kelly told them that we had only been brought in for the concert with a two-day notice.

He marvelled. “You did a whole concert with just two days’ grace?”

“Wow,” said another. “How long did it take you to rehearse what we heard tonight?”

Kelly laughed. “Rehearsal, what’s that? Tonight, was out of the box and totally off the cuff. Even I haven’t heard these girls play that way before. My two firsts certainly hadn’t left the hall today. No! That was pure improvisation.”

Richard had joined the conversation. “When I first walked in on these girls, they were playing a piece that sounded like a couple of concert violinists. When Edie said she could do the Warsaw and Number One I found it difficult to believe. Then I found it difficult to deny the raw talent that was on stage with me. I’ve been told that the TV performance has been finalized.”

Allan said that we had seen it and it was very good. “The DVD should sell well in the classics genre, but I think that with the right marketing it will do well on the general sales, seeing who’s on it.”

Richard asked, “Did the Swan do her trick on screen?”

Allan said it had.

The New York guy asked, “Trick, what trick?”

“Something about that piece,” I said. “The way we play it, has a healing power, but it only works well on people with fears and hang-ups.”

He scoffed. “Now that’s something I find difficult to believe!”

“Why don’t you ask your wife what she felt,” I pointed out. “You don’t get eyes like that, without a few tears.”

Marianne Gregory © 2022

up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

(Almost) half-way through . . .

Emma Anne Tate's picture

. . . And the story is still going strong. It’s a different story for having made Edie’s physical transition relatively unimportant. The SRS/gender affirmation surgery is really just mentioned in passing. Instead, you are focusing on how Edie is dealing with a whole lot of changes in her life, both personal and professional, and developing more of a feminine approach to coping with them. I have a strong sense that those skills will be tested and refined in the back half of the story, but we’ll just have to see!

Emma

I hesitate to guess

Where this is going. The transition didn't seem to be much. Josie doing a runner only had a minor affect. Edie still has stock going up with the Boston experience. The hard part of serialization is the wait.

I don't know what you have planned, Marianne, but I'll be here when more story comes.

Ron

Just how far are they going?

Jamie Lee's picture

Those girls do marvelous work. To be able to play like they did takes real talent to know when and what to play at the correct moment.

Their playing has benefitted more than those listening, but many who will gain from Algernon's generosity.

With three orchestra leaders vying for the girls, plus Boston having them in concert, how far will they go? Will they be ask to accompany other country's orchestras? How well will their recording sell and to which age group?

If Josie was still with The Sisters, would they have been as successful as they have been without her? If Josie hears the Swan, might it affect her as it's done others? Might she return and make amends after hearing the music?

Others have feelings too.