Grease Monkey Part14

Printer-friendly version

Local Teens Cookoff Contest:
Charlene and Elizabeth watch as Tonya and Prue compete against four other teens. Food Network was sponsoring a teen cooking competition. The Burger Queen herself Alissa Spencer was one of the judges, judging the competition. The other two judges were Damaris Smith and Bobby McCord.

Damaris Smith specialized in Southern-style cuisine and has been season fifteen’s Iron Chef winner. Bobby McCord has won several burger competitions and won the last two regional BBQ competitions.

“I can’t believe how many teens have mastered skills that have taken me years to learn.” Damaris was amazed at the three, two-man teams competing today.

“I know what you mean. I was playing softball at their age.” Bobby was watching the teams as they prepared their best dish.

“I was helping my uncle with his food truck and learning my skills from him,” Alissa remembers days when she would help her uncle.

“But were you, their age?” Bobby looks at Alissa when he asked that question.

“No, I was never their age, doing what they are doing.” Alissa had to admit that the teens competing today were young.

“I can say this, those kids are talented.” Christy Garvin with Food Network was the hostess for the competition.

Tonya and Prue looked toward the other teams and saw that they were going all out. They weren’t worried about what they were making. Prue was making French Onion burgers on an onion roll. She looks over towards Tonya she was making beer batter spicy onion rings from scratch. The onion rings were different from the onions used in the French Onion burger.

As for the cheese for the burger, she added melted Gruyère to the top of the burger. As for the condiment, they made sweet pickled shallots and pickles. They knew that the other kids were making pasta and tacos.

When the time is up for cooking. The dishes are taken to the judges, one by one. Tonya had her fingers crossed as Prue described what they made to the judges.

Both girls watch as the judges take a bite of their burgers and onion rings. They saw the reaction on the burger queen's face when she bit into the burger. She seemed to love the burger and the onion rings.

Damaris and Bobby seemed to love their burgers and onion rings as well. They watch as the judges taste the other teams. They talk among themselves and a few times, the burger queen Alissa looks over towards the group and back to the other judges.

Tonya grabs Prue’s hand and holds it. Prue looks at her friend and knew how nervous she felt. They watch as the judges break apart and fill out the cards they were given to record their choices and hand them to Christy.

Christy looks the cards over and a smile appears on her face. She wishes she could have tried the food, but she couldn’t. She looks at the three teams standing before her “the winner of the main meal contest is team Prue and Tonya.”

Tonya and Prue scream and jump up and down. They couldn’t believe they had won. They calm down after a few minutes and look toward the judges.

Charlene and Elizabeth saw how excited the girls were. They knew Prue and Tonya worked hard and were proud of both girls. They knew the girls split the winnings and put half into their business and half in their bank account.

The other two teams did well but scored a point or two below Prue and Tonya’s final score. After the competition, Charlene and Elizabeth take Prue and Tonya out for a winner’s dinner at their favorite place. When they enter the restaurant, the girls are met with huge applause.

Charlene looks at her little sister as the girls take pictures with some of the patrons. The chef of the restaurant brings out a meal that wasn’t on the menu.

“Something special for our local winners.” Chef Brooks smiles at Prue and Tonya.

“Thanks, chef Brooks.” Tonya looks at chef Brooks and was happy she was proud of them.

Chef Brooks has let them use her kitchen when they needed to do a big order and their mother’s kitchen wouldn’t do.

“You’re welcome, girls. I heard about the burger you made and the onion rings as well. You girls need to market those burgers or you could tell
me how you made them.” Chef Brooks wouldn’t mind adding them to her menu.

Prue looks at Brooks “how about we make you one?”

“Deal.”

Charlene just smiles at the girls. Once chef Brooks walks away “I’m very proud of both of you.”

“I have to agree, girls. You did an amazing job during the competition.”

“Thanks, mom.” Prue looks at her mother.

“Thanks, Mrs. Drenner.” Tonya smiles at Elizabeth.

Elizabeth has seen a huge improvement since Prue and Tonya become friends years ago. She loved how their relationship was stronger than her own was with her best friend.

“Let’s eat, girls.” Charlene didn’t want their meal to get cold.

Grease Monkey Garage:
Charlene walks into work yawning. She had a hard time sleeping last night and didn’t get enough sleep. She dropped Tonya off at Prue’s house, so both girls could ride with Elizabeth to school.

Henry walks into the office from the garage area and spots Charlene walking into the office. He noticed she was yawning.

“Rough night?” He walks over to fix himself some coffee.

“Yeah, I couldn’t sleep for some reason.” Charlene sits down at her desk and put her purse into the bottom right-hand drawer.

“Mary and I have had nights like that. Is there something you are worried about?” Henry walks over to his desk and sits down.

“No, ever since we got rid of Mr. Popper and got Mrs. Hodgins, things have been nice. I don’t know what is bothering me, but I know something is eating at me.” Charlene couldn’t figure it out.

“Does it have anything to do with work or your private life?” Henry has gone through days like that.

“Nope, everything is fine here at work and my home life is fine. Whatever it is, will make itself known.” Charlene figures whatever is bugging her will make its presence known.

up
125 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

If she is anything like me

You will come to her right before she goes to sleep and if she's smart she'll write it down.

Maybe Charline's love life?

Samantha Heart's picture

Maybe Charline doesn't realize it yet, but maybe she's worried about Pru & Toynia maybe she's reading into things in a love interest or maybe it's HER OWN lack of love interest that's bothering Charline. Or or.... A business with Pru & Tonya & what might happen.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.