Native Life Chp.14 (FInal Chapter)

Printer-friendly version

Cora shivers as she powers up the backup generator. The one George normally used had used up all its fuel and they were on the second one. The second one used propane to fuel it. The first one used cooking oil.

When she hears it kick on, she makes her way back inside George’s place. She shakes the snow off her weather gear as she takes it off.

“Alright, the second generator is purring like a kitten.” Cora looked at the other people they had brought back to George’s place.

The three families they brought back, roofs collapse from the weight of the snow piled up on them. So, George had offered to let them stay with him and her. She checked her place while she was out and everything was fine at her place.

“Thanks, Cora. We’ll have hot tea in a few minutes.” Marianne was in the kitchen along with another woman.

Marianne and Keisha were fixing tea and coffee in the kitchen now that they had power back. Keisha had made some biscuits for everyone and cooked up some buffalo gravy to go with them.

“Alright, Marianne and thanks.” Cora walks towards George’s home office and knocks on the door frame before heading inside.

George looks up from his laptop when he hears the knocking sound. A smile appears on his weathered old face “I take it, everything went fine?”

“Yeah, the second generator is purring like a kitten.” Cora walks into George’s office and sits down in an old high-back chair.

“That’s good. Have you thought about what I suggested?” George figures Cora might want to think about a replacement, should something happen to her.

“I have and I have mediated about it as well. I think now isn’t the right time to consider a replacement. I have a feeling that the spirits have more for me to do and learn.” Cora had a feeling, that the spirits had more for her to do.

“I have always taught you to go with your feelings. If the spirits have more for you. Then, listen to them.”

“I will and you know I appreciate your advice, friendship, and teaching.” Cora smiles at George.

“I do.” George was proud of what Cora has accomplished since she has been chosen by the spirits.

The Next few Weeks:
The snowstorm that had blanketed the reservation has made it impossible for anyone to move around for almost two weeks. After everyone managed to dig themselves out and life started returning to the reservation. George and Cora visit everyone to see if there is anything they could do.

While Cora did that, she also made arrangements for the artifacts she recovered to be returned to their proper owners or tribes. For the ones that are never claimed, she does research to find which tribes or cultures they belong to and try to have them return.

She also learns more about her mask as well. She gets visited by the Fox spirit and is taught more about what her mask is capable of. She knew she needed to know more about the gifts the spirits gave her.

up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I feel there is more

Samantha Heart's picture

To this story another story in the making perhaps? I just feel like there is more to this story & Cora's . Mask

Love Samantha Renée Heart.