[FW] Fae Touched

Printer-friendly version

Ivan stared at the wooden ceiling as slowly his body flushed out the last remnants of adrenaline and excitement. It was his last free day, before he would have to report for duty. The draft had come and now, Ivan's future was in jeopardy. There would be a quick intense training before he'd be shipped off to Europe. Fighting in a war so big, some say it might end the world as they knew it. Ivan knew there was a slim chance he'll return. It wasn't just enemy bullets that would try to kill him. Artillery, mustard gas, and worst of all, magic. The great war had come and it would be Ivan's undoing.

In the twilight of the small traveling wagon, Ivan turned around to admire the shape of the girl beside him. Norene had found him early this evening. At once, Ivan had known she was a Fae Touched. She was a redhead. Not a ginger like so many Irish folks he saw. Fae Touched had a deep vibrant red mane. It was just one clue that they were magic, but the most obvious one.

The Fae Touched girl was sleeping beside him peacefully. Gently, Ivan pushed a strand of hair away to admire her beauty. No wonder so many myths and rumors surrounded the Fae Touched. One could fall in love with her at first sight. Giving credit to the many stories of men and women alike to leave their spouses and lovers to be with a Fae Touched.

Fae Touched loved to party and have a good time. And Norene had found Ivan just as he started to chuck down beer after beer. He had meant to celebrate his last night before the army would get their hands on him. But Norene had derailed all those plans. It only took a few words and Ivan followed her out like a puppy. Her delicate hand in his own pulled him through streets and boroughs until they arrived at the city's limits. Here, they had arrived at Norene's folk.

Fae Touched were traveling people. Never staying long in one place. Their homes were their wagons expertly crafted and covered in rich and artistic carving. As Norene pulled him towards her bed, Ivan had been shy. Reluctant. Ivan had then confessed that he had never been with a woman before. Norene's smile had only grown. Promising that she would make it special.

And it had been, Ivan decided as he lightly caressed the sleeping beauty beside him. But now, the day was nearly over. The moon was high. Nearly midnight. Tomorrow, the army will have him. Today, there was one last experience he wanted to have and time was running out.

In the pale light of a small lantern, Ivan slipped out of the bed. He took a moment to make sure the blanket covered Norene. And to make sure she was fast asleep. Her wagon wasn't big and Ivan had no trouble finding her wardrobe. With a pounding heart, Ivan opened it. The assortment he found was small. but breathtaking. Dresses, tops, and skirts in thin materials like silk, gauze, and linen. Fae Touched didn't need protection from temperature or weather in any season. They weren't like normal humans. Magic ran through their veins.

He let his fingers glide over the different materials. It was intoxicating. Dangerous too. It was one of those rumors about them. They are very protective of their garments. But what did Ivan have to lose? His fingers trembled when he pulled out a pale blue dress. It was wispy and soft. A sigh escaped Ivan's lips. This was it. Carefully, he opened up the dress and then stepped in. The smooth material glided over his skin as he pulled it up. His heart beat loudly in Ivan's ears as he pushed his arms through the sleeves.

It was done. He finally wore a dress. Ever since being small, he had wondered. Now, he was doing it. Save for closing it up in the back. He didn't dare. Time was short. Appreciative, Ivan smoothed out the front. Of course, he didn't have the figure that such a fine dress demanded. The feeling still felt heavenly.

"Do it again."

The sudden voice made Ivan twirl around. Norene was awake and had propped herself up on one arm. To his surprise, she didn't look angry. If anything, she looked amused.

"I said," she calmly started again. "Do it again. Elise loves it if someone smoothes her out like that."

A million thoughts ran through Ivan's mind. Most useful ones bumped into each other and made way for a rather obvious question. "You named your dress?"

"Ah, no." Norene grinned. "I met Elise sixty - maybe sixty-five - years ago in Austria. Such a sweet girl. So honest and forthcoming with her love. She begged me to turn her into a dress. Just so she could be always by my side."

Ivan was baffled. "I am wearing a human?"

Norene snickered while getting out of bed. "You are wearing a person who is most often a dress and sometimes a human if I am in the mood. And-" Norene stepped behind Ivan and let her hands roam over him and the dress he wore. "She loves this."

It felt nice. Wearing the dress. Having Norene caress him. But it didn't change the fact that she caught Ivan while he wore her dress without permission. "I am sorry. I should have asked first." Asking who exactly was the real mind-bender. Norene or the dress called Elise.

"Shh. It is okay," Norene hushed him from behind. "If anyone understands the allure and satisfaction of wearing fine clothing, then it would be the Fae Touched. Here. Try these." Norene reached past him, opened a side cupboard, and withdrew a pair of elegant and feminine sandals.

Ivan took them but had his doubts. "These will never fit me." But just to underline how wrong he was, they grew noticeably in his grasp.

"Elina and Airi. Twins," Norene purred into his ear. "Now, that was a summer to remember in Estonia. A whirlwind romance. Never had twins as lovers before. When they gifted themselves to me, I could have made them each their own, but they asked me to remain a pair. Now. Now. Don't let them wait. Try them on."

Ivan did and they fit perfectly. But before he could enjoy it fully, Norene maneuvered him to a stool in front of a small vanity. He wasn't allowed to look in the mirror, while she started working on him. Tinctures and powders found a new home on his face. A few plucked hairs, applied coal, and dappled on rouge rounded up the next stage. At last, Norene expertly painted his lips.

Ivan's breath stocked for a few seconds as Norene turned him around. It wasn't him that stared back wide-eyed. A young woman peeked out of the mirror. Made up as if she was ready to hit the town for a night out. It was perfect. For a moment. Then his mind registered details. His face wasn't soft enough for a woman. Despite shaving in the morning, the hint of stubble pushing out could be seen. Despite trying to only see a woman in his reflection, he could still see himself beneath.

"There. There," Norene cooed as tears started to dwell in Ivan's eyes. They broke free and left streaks of smeared and washed-away coal and powder. "What's wrong? Don't you like it?"

"I love it," Ivan confessed between sobs. "But it is only an illusion. Not real. I'll never be her."

Norene took his hands in hers. "What if you could?"

"But that is impossible."

"Not for the Fae Touched," Norene insisted. "Do you know our origin?" She continued when Ivan shook his head. "A long time ago, there was a knight. So handsome, everyone said. His renown spread far and wide. Even to the court of the Fae. They summoned him and he obliged. The Fae were smitten and the queen exclaimed: you carry a beauty normally reserved for fair maidens. If only so, the knight replied wistfully. If only so. The queen heard the longing in his heart and granted his deepest wish. With a single touch, he turned into a maiden so fair that kings and princes offered their kingdoms if only she married them."

"What happened then?" Ivan whispered. Caught in the spell of the tale.

"She may have been the first one to ask, but others followed in her steps. Quite a few actually," Norene admitted. "Each a great beauty with deep red hair. The first Fae Touched. They had become a bridge between the Fae and the humans. Between the mundane world and that of magic. With it came responsibility, but also opportunity."

"Do you know how Fae Touched increase their number?" Ivan again shook his head to answer Norene's question. "We find those that do not fit in with normal humans. Those who desire beauty within and without. Longing for a gender fate had withheld."

Norene stood up without letting go of Ivan's hand. "I've been looking for someone like you for a while. For, you see, I long to have a daughter. Will you be mine?"

"Yes!" Ivan said immediately. "A thousand times yes."

"I am glad to hear it." Norene gave him a warm smile. "But know this. We Fae Touched are long living. You might count yourself as an adult, but to us, you will be just a child. You will grow up in time. Slower than a human. Which will give you time to learn our history, our traditions, and our magic. But you will also learn the burdens of our existence and the responsibilities we bear."

"I understand. And I accept. All of it."

"Then, welcome, my daughter."

Warmth flooded Ivan and spread to every part of his body. Slowly, he shrank. His body turned softer. Younger. Hair started to tickle his shoulder and then fell past. And, at last, Ivan was no more. Not a man, but not a woman either. A girl, barely able to reach up to her mother's waist.

Then, Norene crouched down. "I'll name you Riona, oh daughter of mine."

They hugged. An intimate moment, the reborn Riona never thought she would share. That between a mother and her daughter.


Riona awoke as her mother stumbled into the wagon. Arm in arm with a man Riona knew as Luc. The man whispered sweet nothings into her mother's ear. Ah, French. If only Riona understood it better. She was learning, but it was just one of many languages her mother was teaching her.

They undressed on their way to Norene's bed and Riona witnessed it all. Once, she would have felt like a voyeur. A peeping tom. Would have been aroused too. But she had been Riona for ten years now, and she had not aged a day. To all who didn't know, she was just a six-year-old girl.

As Luc and Norene pushed onto the bed, her mother caught eyes with Riona. Giving her the sign to remain quiet. Riona was hard to make out. Her bed was close to the roof and well hidden. Her mother wasn't angry that Riona was spying on them. It was the way of the Fae Touched.

"Now is the time you learn the most," Riona remembered her mother saying. "When you are too young to have her body meddle with your mind. A woman's body has needs. A girl's body has clarity."

And so, Riona watched. The first few times, she had felt shame doing so. That had been her old upbringing. Those chosen to be the children of Fae Touched had a duty. To learn. Not just magic or their traditions. Once she grew up - again - Riona would know more about sex than anyone else of her apparent age.

At last, their romp ended and Luc dressed and left the wagon. Sweet poetry on his lips all the way past the door and into his way of the night. After making sure he wasn't coming back, Riona scooted a little forward in her bed. Enough that her head peeked out.

"That's the fifth time you have bedded him," Riona pointed out.

Norene stretched lazily beneath her silken bedsheets. "Has it, my daughter?"

Riona nodded. "He appears very much to be in love with you."

Norene gave an amused snicker. "Of course, he is. Aren't they all?"

Riona grew more excited. "Do you think he will gift himself to you?"

Her mother stopped to study her. At last, she answered. "No, he will not. Luc is a romantic. He is as much in love with being in love as he is in love with me. I am his current muse, but not his only one. But tell me, why does my daughter appear so eager?"

Riona blushed as she had been caught out. "It is just- It's been some time since someone gifted themselves to you." Only one to be precise.

"My daughter, look at me." Riona complied. Knowing a lecture was imminent. "We are the Fae Touched, my child. Ours is beauty beyond compare. We wield magic above what normal humans can do. We do not gather for the sake of gathering. The Fae Touched have a responsibility to care for those that cannot live without us anymore. That is our duty. Not our reward."

"Yes, mother," Riona dutifully said when the lecture ended.

"You have met my garments."

It was not a question. By now, Riona had spoken to them all. Whenever their caravan moved on the Fae Touched preferred the company of their garments instead of the random lovers they picked up. It was easy for them to give those garments human form again. A harem in all but name. Always dedicated to her mother. Be it as clothing to dress in or as a lover for a night or two.

Riona didn't admit it aloud, but she was jealous. A part of her couldn't wait to grow up and have her own admirers. But she had to be patient. Children of Fae Touched grow up slowly. She had at least another decade before her.

"Some I had for decades," her mother continued. "Others for over a century. That, my daughter, is the love that endures. You have to be sure that they are willing. That their love is strong enough. Only then it will stand the test of time. Nothing hurts more than to let go of a lover, whose love has grown cold after a decade or two."

"Yes, Mother," Riona dutifully intoned again.

"Go to bed," Norene added more softly. "Chances are we'll move on soon."

That was news. After the USA, their caravan toured Canada, and then Mexico. Years after the great war, they returned to Europe. Landing in Portugal and then made their way through Spain and then France. Coming here left Riona bemused sometimes. Here, in France, she would most likely have died in some godforsaken trench if her mother hadn't picked her up.

"Where will we go next?" Riona asked as she scooted back onto her bed.

"Britain, maybe." Norene sounded tired. After seeing Luc, Riona couldn't fault her. "Or the Benelux lands. I threw in my vote for Italy, but not many were in favor."

"Good night, mom."

"Good night, my darling."

Her mother might be a strict teacher, but there was still love between them. Riona wouldn't wish for anyone else to raise her anew.


"That's it," Norene whispered. "You are doing fine."

Riona wished her mother would shut up. This was hard enough on its own. All her training culminated at this moment. She had access to magic for a while now. Since the early nineteen-thirties. She could summon globes of light, warm herself up, and even fling would-be attackers through the air. But that was child's-play. And she was sick of being a child. Two decades were enough. Not that she voiced the sentiment out loud. Complaining wouldn't help. Only completing this test would.

Intently, she stared at the frock on the floor. Not just at it, but into it. The frock used to be a human. Elise. One of her mother's permanent lovers, who had volunteered. Transforming her into a frock had been the first part of the test. The easy part. What Riona was about to do few magic users could.

She reached out. Twisting the strings of magic. In her magic-enhanced view, she formed them into old runes. Passed down from generation to generation of Fae Touched. Weaving them into the being that might look like an ordinary frock, but possessed a soul and mind.

Then, everything was ready. Riona took one last deep breath and then willed the magic to do her bidding.

One moment there was a frock. The next, a young woman sat on the floor. Grinning from ear to ear. "Well done, Riona. I knew you could do it."

Riona tried to curb her enthusiasm. Not everything has been said and done. She could still fail her test. Nervous, she looked at her mother.

Norene leaned forward from her seat beside Riona. Taking Elise's chin and moving it from side to side. Taking in every detail. "Her hair color is off. Too dark. Nose is slightly too big. Eyes a different shades of brown. Her bosom is slightly too big too. Hips a tad too narrow."

Just as Riona gave up all hope, her mother beamed at her. "For a first try, not bad. Congratulations, Riona. You passed."

"I did? But I didn't get her completely right." Why was Riona arguing against her own passing the test? She could kick her own ass about the stupidity.

"The goal was to get her human again," Norene said gently. "No one gets it right from the start. It takes time and practice to follow the weave of magic and return someone to their original form. At least you didn't deliver someone with three arms."

Riona breathed a sigh of relief. Then perked up again. "Does that mean-"

"Yes, it does."

Norene reached out to her daughter and Riona could feel the magic flow through her. It was a strange feeling to grow years worth in a span of moments. She had experienced it twice before. Once to get to the apparent age of eight and then to ten. This time, it was a lot more.

When it stopped, Riona rushed to the mirror. It was her, just older. And it meant the world to her. She wasn't an adult yet. But it was clear that her new body was amidst puberty. Maybe fifteen summers old. Her first womanly curves started to develop. It was strange. So long she had waited for it and now, she finally had breasts of her own. A little underdeveloped, but they were there. It also meant she was now of an age that could experience sexual activities. She wondered how it would feel to get aroused as a woman. To have her first orgasm. She had to find out. Later. When she was alone.

"A young woman in her own right." Norene looked just as happy as Riona felt. But she wasn't done yet. "There is one more surprise I have in store for you. Come."

Confused, but eager Riona jumped up. Following her mother out of their wagon. She wondered what it could be. She had known that aging up would be her reward for passing the test. What else could there be?

They didn't walk far. Not even leaving the caravan. On the outskirts stood four wagons that were used to store goods like food and other items that could spoil. Norene steered directly to one of them. Riona mused there might be a cake in her immediate future. Fae Touched didn't really celebrate birthdays. Most found them tedious after the first fifty or so. Still, Riona aged about five years. That might be worth a cake.

"Behold," Norene said as she stopped before the biggest wagon. The newest addition too. With a wave of her hand, the wagon changed. Windows appeared. A full-sized door. Peeking in, Riona could spot a large bed too. "Now that you are of age, my darling, it is time for you to experiment. To put to praxis what I taught you in theory."

Riona was stunned. "This is mine?"

"Of course." Norene sounded as if it was the most obvious fact in the world. "I'd say you've just outgrown your bed and I am not sharing my bed for the conquests you'll drag home. Besides, a young woman needs her privacy."

"Thank you!" Riona nearly toppled her mother with her flying hug. Being this tall again would need some adjusting on her part. She wasn't as tall as she had been as Ivan, but the sudden growth spurt still was a far cry from her recent juvenile form.

"All right. All right," Norene said after thirty seconds of a solid hug. "Why don't you go inside and-"

When her mother stopped mid-sentence, Riona looked at what caught her attention. Alsandair made his round. One of the few males in the camp. He was about half a decade older than Riona, which meant jack-shit now as they both appeared about fifteen years old. He had passed his test four years ago and had teased Riona since then mercilessly. Now, they were equal again.

However, Alsandair's behavior was strange. Stopping at other Fae Touched. Exchanging a few words and then hurrying on. Even knocking on wagons. Those he had spoken to headed to the middle of the camp.

At last, he headed to Riona and her mother. Unconsciously, Riona brushed her dress out. When her mother had grown her up, the dress had adjusted in size. But the cut and style hadn't changed. She really needed a better one. A dress that fits and highlighted her new womanly figure.

"We've got news," Alsandair said without preamble. Not even acknowledging that Riona had grown. "Elder Muirenn wants us all to gather."

"We'll be there," Norene promised. As soon as Alsandair was gone, Riona could hear her mother mutter: "This can't be good."

Together, they headed to The center of the caravan. Quite a few others had already gathered. They didn't know what was going on, but a few congratulated Riona on passing her test. It made her feel slightly better.

"Can I have your attention please?" Elder Muirenn had stepped out of her wagon. For a Fae Touched, she looked ancient. A normal human might guess her at the end of her thirties or at the start of her forties. As Fae Touched they could determine how old they looked. Clearly, Elder Muirenn thought a woman her age, with over five centuries under her belt, shouldn't look as if she was in her mid-twenties.

"I see Riona has passed her test. Congratulations." A few others chimed in, but Elder Muirenn waved them quiet quickly. "Sadly, this is not the reason why I gathered you here. We've got news from another caravan. One currently staying in Germany. They won't be staying there much longer. The German chancellor has made a proclamation."

The woman pulled out a newspaper. By the headline on the front, Riona recognized it as a German one. Clearing her throat, Muirenn started reading aloud. "And I promise you that soon every German citizen will have a complete set of sentient clothes. As it is only just and right as we are the apex race that deserves- "Muirenn stopped as the murmurs rose. She skipped a few sentences and began anew. "It is only right that lesser races serve us Germans. Be it as labor or as garments. This will be our final solution and will for the lesser races."

Riona was appalled. This was against everything the Fae Touched believed in. Others made their anger more vocally known. Muirenn now looked her age as she put away the newspaper.

"It is clear that German arrogance has reached a new height," She spoke up. "We have long since heard rumors that they broke the armistice treaty of The Great War that limits how many mages they can have in their army. This news now- The other elders - and I agree - speculate this might lead to a new war. One that might put The Great War to shame and plunge the world into chaos again."

Now, there was dead silence in the camp and everyone looked to Muirenn at what would happen next. "All Fae Touched caravans are urged to leave Europe. We will, of course, follow that advice. First, we will head south and ferry over to Marokko. But we won't be staying in Africa for long. The Germans have too many colonies there. We will charter passage to the southern Americas as soon as possible. That is all. Prepare your wagons. We will head off tomorrow morning."

A new great war. Riona shivered. She barely escaped the last one by joining the Fae Touched. There was no doubt in her mind. Joining her new family had saved her life. This news indeed changed everything. It also put a damper on her mood.

"Cheer up," her mother said while giving her a hug. Then leading Riona back to her new wagon. "You haven't been to Africa yet. There are some mighty fine lads and girls, just begging to make your acquaintance. And wait until you see Brazil and the other countries of South America."

"Yeah. You are right." She hoped this new war that was brewing wouldn't follow them all the way around the globe.


Riona and her lover Dalton rolled away from each other. Both were out of breath but smiling. He glanced over at Riona's dress that hung close by.

"They're really sentient?"

Riona laughed at Dalton's question. "Yes, they are. But don't worry, they all gifted themselves to me. Take, for example, my dress. I met this strapping young lady in Brazil by the name of Milo. Oh, it was love at first sight. One week and he was ready to gift himself to me. Choosing to be a simple garment just to be by my side. Oh course, it wasn't that easy. The other Fae Touched argued it was too early. That we were both too young to make that decision. And I agreed. Heavy-hearted, I bid my goodbye and left Milo behind in Brazil."

"But you said he is your dress," Dalton pointed out the flaw in her story.

"He is," Riona insisted while giggling. She let her hands roam over the many ruffles of her dress before clueing Dalton in. "No one expected how stubborn Milo would be. Not even me. He followed us. All the way up the coast. Each time we set up camp, we had a lovely reunion. I think it was in Panama when the others relented and let Milo finally gift himself to me."

"That is quite the story," Dalton admitted. Then leaned back. This probably wasn't the post-lovemaking talk he had expected. "Anyone else that has joined us?"

Riona grinned and lifted the locket that dangled between her breasts. "Met a nice girl in Chile named Aylin that just couldn't live without me. I most often wear her as a necklace. So she can be close to my heart. And the panties over there - yes, the ones I made you pull off me with your teeth - that's Juan. He showed me the most beautiful places in Mexico City, but in the end, his love for me was stronger than for his home."

Dalton searched for her eyes. "What about me?"

"What about you?" Riona asked.

He looked flustered. "Will I end up like them?"

Riona gave a big laugh. "Oh, no. You won't. I told you. They gifted themselves to me. We've got a nice thing going here, but we aren't madly in love. Taking you in would be against everything the Fae Touched believe in."

Dalton gave a deep sigh. "Honestly, being a sentient piece of clothing might be better than what is in store for me. I got a draft notice."

Riona pushed herself up on her elbows as anger welled up within her. "And what? You just roll over? What was that about going to the protests with me?"

Dalton didn't even dare to look at the signs they made together. "Make love, not war," was proudly written on the first one.

When he spoke up, it was barely louder than a whisper. "I have no choice. They said, if I don't go, then they might draft my younger brother."

Riona frowned. After half a century, they had returned to her birth country. She, like all the others of the Fae Touched, fell in love with the hippy movement. Free love was what they were all about. Granted, they could do without the drugs. The only thing that really overshadowed their happiness was yet another war. This time in Vietnam.

"When do you leave?" Riona couldn't even look him in the eyes. She was angry and she wasn't sure who to blame. Dalton, who just rolled over and betrayed their shared beliefs, or the government, which had managed to get involved in yet another pointless war.

"Next week." An awkward silence filled the wagon. Eventually, Dalton scooted off her bed. "I should go. It is getting late."

Riona gave him a last look. "I hope to see you again." But in her mind, she doubted she ever would.


A shadow fell over Riona and she frowned. Couldn't a nice gal like her enjoy the gold coast without disturbances? Then again, as she sat up from her beach towel, the sight was not unwelcome. The man was handsome and the right amount of muscular.

"May I sit down?"

For a moment, Riona thought about sending the guy away. Then again, she could use some fun in bed. And he certainly looked like he could deliver.

"Be my guest."

Even sitting down, he somehow radiated power. A certain hint of danger. Not that Riona was worried for herself. A Fae Touched knew how to defend themselves.

"I am Alexei."

Riona smirked. "You don't look like an Alexei."

"I don't sound like one either. By design." Alexei looked around and continued once he was sure they wouldn't be overheard. "And you are Riona. A Fae Touched."

Riona narrowed her eyes. A Russian spy. Just what she needed. "Look, I am not interested in being recruited for your stupid cold war. I told your people two decades ago and I am telling you now. Not interested. None of the others will be either. Fae Touched don't do war. Hot or cold doesn't matter."

She was ready to pack up her things when Alexei held up his hands. "We know. We know. That is not why I am here."

Riona hesitated. He got her interested. "You've got five minutes."

Alexei nodded. "I try to make it quick. I take it you are familiar with Fashion Witches?"

Riona could barely keep disgust out of her voice. "Sadly, yes. They have been multiplying lately in the USA. Our caravan determined it might be best to leave until your agents are done playing around. Really. Spies and magic. Not a good idea."

"They aren't ours." It looked like it pained Alexei to admit it. "In fact, we have our own infestation of them. After World War Two we all signed treaties to limit magic users in our armies. A lot were let go and they didn't take it well."

"Interesting." If there were troublemakers in Russia, Riona and her people might be best served to stay away. "I still don't see why you are speaking to me."

"Russian witches wield old magic. Powerful ones," Alexei urged her. "They say Fae Touched do too. Our Fashion Witches need stopping. They don't care. About Russia or their people. We tried handling them. Even founded a ministry. They took it as a joke. There is this sick ritual they do. If an apprentice witch is ready to stand on her own, she walks right into our ministry for magical regulations. Snatching up our receptionist as a trophy. And there is nothing we can do about it. We tried every weapon. Doesn't even phase them. And that's fledgling witches I am talking about. Who knows what older ones can do."

"I am sorry," Riona said. Meant it too. She gathered her towel and other belongings. "But Fae Touched don't do violence. We only defend ourselves when attacked."

Alexei stood up but didn't look too happy about it. "It was worth a shot."

"I wish you luck," Riona offered, but then walked away. It was time to warn her family. Something wasn't right about the rise of Fashion Witches. If spies weren't at fault, then who was?


"Can you repeat that? Maybe a little easier to understand?"

Riona nearly groaned out loud. She had recently turned a century old. She looked, of course, still young and beautiful. But there were times when she felt her age. Yet she also had to remember that some of her fellow Fae Touched were a lot older. Some by centuries. Those sometimes didn't do so well with modern technology.

Some of the gathered Fae Touched looked like they might have understood, but most appeared to be confused. And it was up to Riona to make them understand. It was her, after all, who had gathered her caravan for this meeting.

"Okay. Again. It is called the internet," Riona started over. "You probably have heard of the advancements of computing machines. By now, they are small and cheap enough that everyone can own one at home. The most important detail here is that they can now communicate over the phone lines. Exchange information."

"And how is that troublesome?" Muirenn asked. The elder looked like she tried her best to understand what Riona is getting at. "So far, it doesn't sound like it should concern us Fae Touched."

"Okay, the problem is this. Imagine the internet, that network of information scattered around the globe, as a city. There are always parts that are scummy. Where criminals do their dirty work." Riona took a moment to look around. It seemed her analogy was working on her fellow caravan members. She still held their attention. "For the internet, that place is called the dark web. Most often it is used to sell illegal stuff. Drugs. Murders for hire. You name it."

"Now here is the important part!" Riona urged them. "I was looking there because I suspected there would be trading of sentient clothes and I was right. But I found much worse. Manuals. Parts of grimoires. Shoddily translated texts of meditation techniques to raise one's magical potential. It might look random, but if one looks carefully through it all, then one thing becomes clear. It is all aimed at creating more Fashion Witches."

A collective groan went through the group and hushed whispers were exchanged. Riona let it continue for a moment. Just a decade ago, the Fae Touched had dismissed Fashion Witches as a nuisance. Something that would resolve itself soon enough. Instead, their numbers had grown and in turn, the Fae Touched had received misplaced backlash.

Muirenn lifted her hand and the murmuring stopped. "Riona, it is good that you brought the matter to our attention. Yet, I am at a loss for what to do. Clearly, you studied this new threat. What do you suggest?"

It pained her to say the next words, but Riona knew they were necessary. "We have to be more careful about revealing that we wear sentient clothes. Or even that we recruit them. I theorize that there will be an explosion of new Fashion Witches. We are already being mistaken for these Fashion Witches often enough. It will only get worse. We have to weather this storm. Fae Touched live for centuries. We can endure. Fashion Witches are new and most likely not here to stay. But for now, we have to be careful. Blend into the background for a while."

"So be it." Muirenn didn't look any happier about it than Riona felt. But their leader had weathered other storms before. "I will inform the other caravans. I am sure they will agree with your assessment, Riona."

And just like that, their meeting dissolved. Riona felt bad as she walked back to her wagon. It felt as if she had robbed the Fae Touched part of their identity. She sure hoped she was right and this Fashion Witch nonsense blew over soon. A decade or two. Maybe three. Four at worst.


Riona stretched after finishing yet another Youtube video. She couldn't get enough of this Tiny Home movement. It amused her to no end. She, of course, knew all about it. Having lived in a Tiny Home for over a century. First the wagon of her mother Norene and then her own. At times, she had spotted people making fun of the fact that Fae Touched lived in wagons. Now, people tried to do the same.

Over the years, Riona had refitted her wagon time and time again. By now, it had all the modern amenities. It wasn't pulled by horses anymore either. She had a nice powerful pickup truck for that. Still, those Tiny Home videos gave her ideas for her next remodeling phase. Tease out a bit more storage space here and there. She probably wouldn't install a full-sized pizza oven. Some people were just crazy.

After getting a little snack, Riona let herself fall on her full-sized bed. Her wagon had grown to twice the size and her bed had grown equally. And she decided it - and herself - needed a workout. Thankfully, in today's modern age, Riona could order takeout. For Fae Touched that meant opening up any number of dating apps on their mobile phones. A few swipes on an app and a lover would deliver themselves to her doorstep. Some Fae Touched didn't like these modern times. Riona loved it.

Riona happily swiped around. Mostly to the left. Today, she wasn't in the mood for muscular and sporty. Maybe something homely. If you lived for a century and were hunting for lovers for half of it, one preferred variety. A little pudgy was okay. Tall and lanky too. Small men knew how to make the most out of their size. And if she was bored with men, she could always switch to women. Dating in the lesbian scene often was way easier. But not today. Riona was in the mood for-

Her swiping stopped. Her thumb hovered over a guy that didn't pose like all the rest. He looked shy and awkward. Probably a profile made at the insistence of friends. Most likely a virgin too. She liked a good deflowering. Sure, they usually weren't very good in bed. Lack of experience. But she liked the thought of making someone's first time special. In her mind, any virgin - male or female - would be lucky to have their first time with a Fae Touched. It would be special. Riona swiped right.

Of course, Riona checked out the rest of her chosen lovers' pictures. They looked just as awkward as the first. The written information wasn't much better. Still, something struck Riona as not quite right. It tucked on her instinct. Intrigued, Riona made her way back to her computer. It was a nice model. Pretty new and powerful. A recent gift by a lover. If one doesn't gift themselves, a new PC is a pretty good consolation prize.

It took her only seconds to get into the backbones of the dating app. Riona had kept up with the development of computers and the internet. She had plenty of backdoors in place for all sorts of websites. Some planted herself, others she had gotten access to by choosing the right lovers.

It was easy to pick up the digital trail of her chosen target. One Adrio Ruggeri. In just a handful of minutes, she found out where he lived, his social security number, and where he banked. All that wasn't really interesting to her. As she picked through his daily internet activity, Riona knew she had hit the jackpot.


Pretending to be asleep wasn't that hard. Keeping the anticipation down was. She had lured Adrio to her wagon. The sex had been less than stellar. Not that she really cared. Now, she had to wait for what Adrio did next.

As he silently rose from the bed, the chances were still open. He could simply get dressed and leave. It would be a shame, but a consequence Riona would have to accept. Instead, she heard the slight squeak of a dresser being opened fully. That her trap had been so simple as leaving it slightly ajar had kind of an ironic feel to it.

She could hear him look through her clothes. Judging him sufficiently distracted, she dared to slightly open her eyes. The view she saw had her elated. Adrio had pulled out a long red evening gown. Holding it against his body.

"Not a bad choice," Riona said aloud and gave Adrio the shock of his life.

"Sorry. I am so sorry. I didn't mean to be rude."

"Don't hang her back," Riona snapped as Adrio was about to do just that. "Rude? It is rude to take out a dress, which then looks forward to being worn. I am afraid I can let you leave without you wearing her at least once."

Adrio still looked panicked, but understanding blossomed in him. "Her? This dress is sentient? You are-"

"Not a Fashion Witch," Riona cut him off. "Yes, my lovely dress - Aylin is her name - is quite alive and aware. But I did not take her. She gifted herself to me. That's the difference between Fae Touched and Fashion Witches. So, no, I won't be transforming you into clothing. But I still need you to wear her."

"Really?" Despite being scared out of his mind, a little hope found itself in Adrio's voice. As Riona nodded, he carefully opened the dress named Aylin and stepped into it. She saw his awe as the dress actually fit him.

Riona pulled out a pair of red heels from her closet. She had a feeling Adrio would go for a red dress. Thanks to her research. And in preparation, she had changed Aylin to match. Barna and Dorina had volunteered to be the shoes to complete the outfit. They knew what stakes Riona was playing for.

"Slip into these," Riona instructed. Now speaking more softly. "And then I'll do your make-up."

Adrio complied. He still looked confused, but not close to panic anymore. Slowly even showing excitement. On her urging, he gave her a twirl before sitting down at her vanity.

"How did you know?" he asked while she applied foundation.

"I know everything about you," Riona admitted while expertly making up his face. "The forums you visit. The discord servers you are part of. The pictures you snap, but definitely not go on your dating profile. Even the stories you read." At last, she put a wig on him. Making him a redhead in nearly the same vibrant color as Fae Touched displayed naturally. "Come on. Get up. Take a look."

"That-" Adrio needed a few moments to process. At last, he whispered, "Thank you."

"Let me ask you a question," Riona opened once Adrio had his fill of the reflection staring back. "Is this enough?"

Adrio looked confused. "What else is there to go? This is as far as cross-dressing can take me. And to transition- I don't know. It costs money, right? I don't have much."

Riona sighed. Did she really have to spell it out? "Adrio, how many stories have you read in which the protagonist was transformed by magic? Here I am. A genuine magic user."

His eyes grew wide. "You can make me a woman?"

"I can if you want-"

"Yes!" Adrio immediately interrupted her. "Please. You don't know how much I wished for this."

"First-" Riona raised her finger. "Let me finish speaking. You see, there is a price to pay. One I personally chose to pay. But you have to decide on your own."

Adrio sobered up. Steeling himself. "What is it?"

"We Fae Touched have a tradition. I want you as my daughter. Now, don't get too excited. If you agree, I am not making you simply a woman who can just run off and do whatever. If you become my daughter, then you will be part of the Fae Touched. A noble folk with deep roots and traditions. To learn them all and to understand them takes decades. Time we have. But adulthood has to be earned. You'll be a child. My child. And I, as your mother, will decide when that will happen. And it might take a while. Believe me, I know. So, you have to decide. Is that a price you are willing to take?"

Adrio went quiet. Clearly thinking it through. Riona approved. This was an enormous decision and one that should be thought through.

"Yes," Adrio finally spoke up. "This price is one I am willing to pay."

Riona beamed. "Then, welcome my daughter."

She gave Adrio a hug and in her arms, he shrank. The wig fell off, but that was okay. Her new form had better vibrant hair anyways. When she let go, Adrio was gone. A six-year-old girl stood wide-eyed before her. In an oversized dress that hung from her petite frame.

"Oh, my! You look cute. Now then. There is one last step." Riona had given it some thought before. Now, she made her final decision. "From this day onward you'll be known as Breanna. Welcome my daughter."

Another hug sealed their new relationship. It had taken a little over a century since Riona had started her journey, but now she was ready to help someone else on their path. Together. She could hardly wait and looking into her daughter's eyes, she knew it was mutual.

The end.


Quick Author's Note


Hi there.

It is November and time for NaNoWrMo.
Yes, I am taking part. However, instead of channeling 50.000 words into one story, I was convinced to split it into as many short stories as I can.

With Fae Touched the second story is finished. By vote on my discord server (Cassy's Library), the next story will be one for my Naughty Witches universe. If you would like to help determine what kind of story I'll write after that, you are welcome to join my discord server and take part in the vote.

Until next time,
Cassy

up
108 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The circle is complete

Julia Miller's picture

Riona becomes a Fae Touched, grows up and matures through the many years, and then finds a man like she was at the beginning of her journey, and starts it for him. Touching story.

Very sweet...

And dark at the same time. I like the way you tied the fey, somewhat alternate recent history, and fashion witches together.

An awesome story.

WillowD's picture

Thanks. I like your stories.