Tenebrae

Printer-friendly version

Tenebrae

The last sliver of the setting sun was minutes from disappearing when Alice pulled into the parking lot of the funeral home. She took a careful look and nodded, satisfied. It was deserted. Well, almost. Kay’s midnight-blue Benz was still near the door.

Just the sight of Kay’s car brought back a host of memories, of trips taken together, the four of them. Kay always drove, of course. A superb driver, but more importantly, an enthusiastic one. That was Kay – passionate, sometimes overwhelming, driven, accomplished. In a city of big personalities, she was a rule unto herself. It was hard to believe, somehow, that the world would keep spinning, all on its own, without Kay there to ensure that the thing was done properly.

Alice parked her own, very modest, metallic gray Corolla next to Kay’s power car. She stepped out and took two steps towards the front doors of the establishment before stopping, returning to her car and popping the trunk. She pulled out her rainbow-colored stole and settled it on her shoulders. This would be official, even if it was unusual.

As she expected, there was no usher to open the door when she arrived. Calling hours had ended well over an hour earlier, and the most dilatory chatty Cathies had gone home to their dinners. But the door was not locked. She entered without issue and walked across the outer greeting area and towards the interior doors to the memorial chapel.

Old Carl came out of the inner office when he heard the door open, but, seeing who it was, he relaxed. “Mr. Stafford said not to let anyone disturb him, but he did say I could make an exception if you showed up.”

She patted Carl’s arm with quiet affection. Ministers tended to be on familiar terms with the men – it was almost always men – who ran funeral homes. It was one of the few times that many people found the need for some spiritual care, after all. “Thanks, Carl. I’ll see myself in and out.”

He murmured his agreement and returned to his inner sanctum.

She faced the walnut door, took a calming breath, and turned the ornate knob.

The inner chapel was largely in shadow. The stained glass window at the other end, which avoided sectarian theological controversy by the expedient of artistic abstraction, glowed with the final light of the day, and four large candles surrounded the open casket. Those sources, however, provided ample light to see the spare figure in a widow’s formal black dress at the strategically placed kneeler.

The figure made no movement, gave no sign of awareness as she approached, even though her heels echoed against the terrazzo floor. Not until she was almost close enough to reach out a comforting hand.

“I thought you might come back.” The dry tenor would never be convincingly female, but all of the voice’s color – the subtleties that conveyed welcome, and shared grief, and mind-numbing weariness – all of those spoke the deeper truth. The truth that the body itself concealed.

“Of course I came back, Jane,” Alice said. “Sorry about the Bishop, earlier.”

Her friend got up from the kneeler, one stocking-clad leg at a time, then unbent painfully. “The spirit is willing, but Christ, the flesh is weak,” Jane said. “Don’t worry about your nominal superior. I knew he’d be the one to say the words, but in my mind, I heard you anyway.”

Alice wrapped an arm around Jane’s waist to give her some assistance. They stood together, arm in arm, looking down at Kay’s lifeless body, Jane towering above the petite minister. Carl’s crew had done what they could do, but the waxen features looked nothing like the bold, energetic and larger-than-life woman they had known for nearly five decades.

“I wish to God we could have avoided this,” Jane said. “But Kay’s instructions were very precise. Still, it did allow me my time.”

“My time,” in this case, meant “Jane’s time.” She would have had hours today already, and would have the formal funeral and burial services to get through tomorrow as well. Everybody who was anybody would be there. But in that public-facing time, she would wear a different face. Carry a different name. Paul Stafford, the deceased’s husband.

“Are you planning on doing the whole vigil on your knees?” Alice inquired, practically. “It won’t make your job tomorrow any easier.”

“I suppose not,” the tall woman replied with a sigh. “She probably would have managed it, if I’d gone first. But my old knees won’t stand it, I’m afraid.” They stood quietly for a few minutes before, in a sort of joint, silent accord, they stepped back and sat down in the first row of chairs, side by side.

“How are the kids taking it?” Alice asked after a longer pause. Jane just stared at the casket, unseeing, silent. Alice was wondering if her friend had even heard her.

Eventually, though, Jane responded, sounding as if she was unaware that it had taken her minutes to gather her thoughts. “Julie looks like someone hit her in the head with a log. She can’t imagine a world without her mother. Spencer can – but he doesn’t much like the way it looks. I think Julie will be okay; Devin will get her through it, and she’s got Dana and Tom to keep her tethered to the real world. Spense . . . I’m not so sure. I worry about him, Alice.”

“You always have,” she responded fondly. “But somehow he’s always found a way. You should trust him more.”

The shadows failed to conceal the ghost of a smile that played across Jane’s thin, rose-tinted lips. “So you’ve mentioned . . . once or twice.” The silence returned as the glow began to fade from the window, the darkling sky behind proving increasingly scant illumination.

“I can’t imagine the world without her either, Alice,” Jane whispered. “I’ve tried. I just can’t.”

Alice took Jane’s bony hand in both of her own, the dagger of grief in her own heart a pale echo of what she saw etched in Jane’s face.

All she could think to say was, “I know, honey. I know.” This was not the right time, she knew, to speak of the next world. Alice was as confident as she was of anything – as confident as she was that the sun would rise tomorrow even without Kay’s assistance – that Kay’s ebullient spirit had been welcomed into paradise to the sound of trumpets. Heaven without Kay just wouldn’t be heaven, since it wouldn’t be remotely perfect. The issue that needed to be addressed wasn’t Kay’s fate beyond the confines of this world, but her spouse’s fate within it.

“I never understood it,” Jane said. “She was beautiful, talented, full of life . . . she could have had anyone. Anyone. But she wanted me. The shy, artistic guy who sat in the back of the class. I was so alone, those days. Before I met her. And even after . . . even after she found out that Paul wasn’t just Paul, she still loved me. She even loved plain Jane. I’m passable as a man, but I’m a gargoyle as a woman. You know that. But Kay . . . Kay didn’t see it that way. Or she didn’t care.”

It hadn’t been so easy as all that, Alice knew. Kay had discovered Paul wearing lingerie after they were already married, and she had been royally, almost titanically, pissed. Mostly because of the deception, but it wasn’t only that. Kay had been a beautiful woman, certainly, but she had also been tall and strong, courageous, stubborn, charismatic . . . a born leader. There were plenty of catty girls and insecure men along the way who labeled her as “mannish.” The discovery that her own husband viewed himself as being female profoundly shook Kay’s faith in her own femininity. Alice, her contemporary and at the time new to ministry, had helped get her through it.

But Kay had found a way past her anger and past her self-doubts. She decided that she loved Paul enough to not only forgive him, but to make room for Jane as well. They had made a bargain and stayed with it. He was Paul to the outside world and to their twins. But with Kay, he had been free to be Jane.

In time, Kay had made her own peace with it, telling Alice, “In the bedroom, when the lights are out, the person I feel under my hands, between my legs, buried inside me . . . that person has a body that is male. I know it. And I need that. I need it, Alice. But . . . the heart, the soul, the mind? He . . . or she . . . says, these are the things that are female. Who am I to say? All I know is, male or female, they are why I’m in love. They are why I stay. If it gives her peace for me to call her Jane, to recognize that the things I love most about her are feminine, I will. And if it makes her happy to express her femininity in how she acts with me, how she dresses, even how she makes love, that doesn’t make me either her husband or a lesbian. It’s not about me.”

But Kay had shared those feelings in the deepest confidence, and Alice would never betray a trust. But neither would she ever forget Kay’s words. Kay had been one of the few people Alice had ever met who could see the reality beyond the direct evidence her senses presented. She had seen the incredible, beautiful person beneath the shell that Paul Stafford presented to the world, and she had loved and cherished it for decades. Allowed that spirit to blossom and flourish.

Of course, the bargain they had made created limits as well. Jane had to maintain her ability to present as Paul, and so had not transitioned. Regardless of how she dressed or did her hair, regardless of the artistic skill with which she applied her makeup, Jane would never look or sound convincingly female; that she was 6’2” in her stocking feet would have made it difficult even had their bargain been different. Jane’s social network was minute – just Kay, Alice, and Alice’s partner, Bea. But Jane had accepted those limits without hesitation. She had wanted nothing more in life than to make Kay happy.

All Alice said was, “She loved you, Jane. It’s that simple. Or that deep, depending on how you look at it.”

“I know. But how could she? It doesn’t . . . I’m . . . I’m . . . “ She couldn’t finish her thought, it distressed her too much.

Alice finished it for her. “You’re beautiful, Jane. Beautiful. Kay saw that. People say love is blind; it’s not. Love sees all the imperfections, it just knows how little they matter. Love is divine, because God is love. So when we see with love, like Kay did, we see as God sees.”

Jane was weeping. “No, Alice. God made me a freak. A woman inside, a scarecrow of a man outside. Maybe Kay pitied me.”

“That’s not a very good read on your woman,” Alice replied. “Kay didn’t think you were a freak, and while she was a truly wonderful woman, her love was always more about passion than compassion. You know that.”

The words were quiet, even gentle, but they hit home with force. Jane might be feeling sorry for herself, but . . . no, Kay would not have stayed for pity. Not Kay. She gave money out of charity, for pity; but herself? She only gave herself to her passions, and she did so wholly without stint. Her spouse had simply been the greatest, most intense, most intimate passion of her life.

Jane nodded, accepting the truth Alice had voiced. “Alright . . . I guess you’ve got me there. But I’ll never understand it. She filled my life with wonder, every day. Now I’ve got to drive her car back to that house . . . our sanctuary. And she won’t be there, ever again.”

When the twins had been small, Jane had only had time and space behind the closed doors of the master bedroom. Once Julie and Spencer were grown and had moved away, though, Jane expanded her domain to the entire house. When they went out, Jane always went as Paul, and Jane was always Paul at work.

“It’s still your place, Jane,” Alice said, her voice tentative. That was, of course, true in every material sense. But this went deeper. It wasn’t just Jane’s sanctuary; it was the sanctuary for Jane and Kay’s unique marriage. The kitchen where Jane labored to make special dishes that she knew Kay would love. The alcove where they had their morning coffee together in matching silk dressing gowns, sometimes sharing the New York Times crossword puzzle. The cozy couch by the fireplace where they would cuddle together on cold winter evenings.

Jane confirmed Alice’s intuition. “It was all for her, Alice. Every design choice I made, every color I selected . . . it was all for her. Things that would make her happy. Make her laugh that great, gurgling, goofy laugh of hers. That house without Kay . . . it’s a museum. I can’t live there. And if I can’t be there, where can I be? There’s a place in this world for ‘Paul,’ but there’s never been a place for me. Except the one that Kay made for me, at her side.”

Jane was weeping now, a flood of tears for a life that had been pointless and lonely, but had been redeemed by the powerful love of the woman whose body lay before them. The woman who had seen and known her, as God has always seen and known her: whole and pure and beautiful as the first cherry blossoms of spring.

Alice remembered the last time the four of them had gotten together for dinner and bridge, just a bit over a year ago. As usual, Jane had made something exquisite. She had based the entire dinner around the bottle of wine that she knew Bea had selected. Jane had made the stock for the soup the prior week; she had hand-dried the lettuce for the salad and had picked the tomatoes from her own garden . . . everything was always like that, with Jane. The house itself was the best example, a simple design that Jane’s artistic vision had transformed into a jewel box for the love of her life.

Jane and Kay were well-paired in bridge; Kay always daring, Jane so attuned to her spouse that she could practically read her mind. They won more often than they lost, even though Alice and Bea were keen players themselves. The four of them had sat and talked afterwards, as they had done countless times before, about life and love and the world and the kingdom. They had never imagined that this time, of all the times, would be the last. And if they had, they certainly wouldn’t have believed that Kay would be the first to depart. It really was hard to imagine the world without her spark.

Alice could understand why Jane would not want to be in that house now, all alone with her memories. “Jane, my love, there’s a place for you with Bea and I, at least for now. Until you get your feet under you. Please. We love you too. If the house is too painful, come stay with us.”

“Thanks, Rev,” Jane said through her tears. “I may have to take you up on that. At least for a bit. Until I figure out how . . . how to keep going. I can’t just give up; the kids still need me. Well, Paul. But nevermind.”

“Have you ever considered telling them?”

Jane shook her head sadly. “We considered it, from time to time. We both decided it wasn’t something they would be able to handle well. And now, with their Mom gone, I doubt they can take another shock. They’re good kids. But Paul’s all they’ve got left now. I can’t have them see him as a lie.”

“Is Paul a lie, to you?” Alice asked gently. It seemed like a harsh description. When they had gone out together, or when the other couple had visited their house, Jane had always come as Paul. That had been their rule, and Jane had always followed it, even when they went to Alice and Bea’s house. In Alice’s experience, Paul and Jane weren't radically different people. Paul Stafford was kind and thoughtful, did not put himself forward, was artistically gifted, creative and articulate in an understated way. Jane was those things, just more intensely so. Maybe more freely so. What seemed, in Paul, to be reserve, was manifested in Jane as simple shyness. As either Paul or Jane, she had always seemed well-paired with Kay, who needed a stabilizing anchor in her life.

“It felt like it, sometimes,” Jane said. “Mostly because I just wanted to be myself. To talk to people about the things that matter, the deep things, the personal things. The ways that women share, and men typically don’t. I wanted to move with grace, to speak gently, to give comfort, and not be thought less for it. I didn’t really filter myself much around you and Bea; you knew who I was. But at work, or in town, it was different. More filters, more barriers. Even with the kids, I put on the show. To make sure that they would see me as their father. Not to interfere with Kay’s role as mother. So I coached T-Ball for Spence, but Kay was the one who was always with Julie for the step dancing. I’d go to the feis; we’d all go, as a family. But all the practice, the training . . . that was mother-daughter time.”

She was silent a bit more, thinking. “I don’t suppose Paul’s really a lie. The thoughts and feelings I express as Paul are genuine. I just don’t say everything that I might say, or say it in the same way, as I might if I were free to be Jane. But, that’s probably not how the kids would see it.”

Over forty years of marriage. Two children, two grandchildren. If Jane thought it would hurt her kids to know, she’d never tell them, and Alice would not question her judgment where they were concerned. Jane and Kay – or Paul and Kay, if you wanted to look at it that way – had been superb parents.

But that meant that, in all the world, she and Bea were the only people who would ever know the beautiful woman who sat beside her this evening. The rest of the world would only see “through a glass, darkly,” through their experience of the man, Paul Stafford. And Paul without either Kay or Jane . . . he would be a pale shadow.

Alice had no answers, but Jane knew that and wasn’t expecting any. Jane was a brave woman in her own quiet and loving way. She would bear what would have to be born, for the sake of the children that she and Kay had brought into the world.

“Even God’s love can’t make this moment any easier," Alice said to her friend. "But maybe God and I can keep vigil with you, tonight. If you’ll have us?”

Jane squeezed her hand wordlessly.

The hours passed, and the two friends sat, hand in hand, bearing witness to the passing of a mighty soul, to the stilling of a passionate heart. Bearing witness, as well, to the transformative power of a truly great love.

One by one, the candles burned down, guttered, and went out, leaving them in darkness. They could have turned on a light, but the night of the soul is not so easily dismissed.

They faced the darkness together.

– The end

For information about my other stories, please check out my author's page.

up
145 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good Lord

Dee Sylvan's picture

Emma, you have unveiled another precious gem for us to admire.

Beware readers, be sure to have Google by your side when reading Emma Tate. Tenebrae? After growing up in the Catholic Church, going to Catholic schools and even being able to recite the Mass in Latin, your depth of knowledge is amazing. Tenebrae indeed!

Unfortunately, we never experienced Kay's life, but in death we come to admire a woman we all wish was in our lives. She was the woman of many of our dreams. Instead of recriminations, when she learned of Jane she felt betrayed by Paul's lack of trust but put that aside as his love for her was returned as only Kay could.

I wonder if the facade created by Paul deceived anyone but himself. But he did it for his children and Kay. They loved each other for decades, with Jane making herself more a part of their lives only after the twins had grown and departed.

At least we now know to make sure we are stocked up on tissues when reading Emma's classics. I love this story. Thank you once again for sharing with us, Emma Tate.

DeeDee

Thank you, Dee

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. In fairytales, once the couple get hitched they just live happily ever after. Those are fun stories to write, too! It’s harder, though, to tell the real story of “happily ever after.” It’s hard to summarize a lifetime of coming apart and coming together, like two trees that grow together over the years, bound together too tightly to stand apart, and yet still distinct.

I first came across tenebrae in a secular context — art history. Tenebrism is a technique associated with some of my favorite painters, including Rembrandt, which relies on darkness and shadow to add drama to focused points of light. The liturgical context is naturally based on the same idea, the offices for the day’s end. I constructed the story around both ideas.

Emma

Heartbreaking

Sadly a reality for too many people, living your life according to everyone else's expectations and keeping your true self buried.

It's not easy to say "no, THIS is who I really am whether you like it or not". Some reach a point where the person within can no longer be denied, some deny it forever for the sake of others. Who are the strongest? It's hard to go public, but just as hard not to. We all make choices and have to live with them.

If I were religious I would consider being trans to be a curse because it's no-one's fault and we have to find our own way.

Another beautifully told tale that reflects many peoples reality. Damn but you're good at this

Alison

Thanks, Alison

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Integrity makes competing demands on us. There is our internal integrity— living in accordance with our deepest beliefs and our internal truths — and external integrity, where we live in accordance with our commitments and the needs of those we love, or those to whom we owe an obligation. Paul/Jane and Kay had decades of compromising. But really, who doesn’t?

Thank you, as always, for your unflagging support. I’m glad you enjoyed the story!

Emma

Very deep

Very deep mourning for a beloved one. I think everybody can relate to this situation even if maybe not with the same surrounding additional difficulties. Very good story but I’m not one bit surprised.

Love and loss . . . .

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Are about as universal a human experience as it gets, that's for sure. Though not everyone gets 40+ years with the love of their life.

Thanks, Max. I'm glad it connected for you.

Emma

Simply Beautiful

joannebarbarella's picture

Encapsulating the dichotomy that so many of us endure and the heartbreaking loss of a soulmate.

Thank you

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Thanks, Joanne!

Emma

Deep and moving

erin's picture

When I write I seldom touch feelings as deep as these. I hope I move people at times, but I'm not sure I ever move anyone as much as this moved me.

Thank you,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I don’t know what to say.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Thank you doesn’t begin to cover it, given how much respect I have for you as both a writer and a person.

Emma

Jealous of your prose

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

Reading this short piece makes me feel like I'm a sandlot player, not a real writer. Also, the sensitive and depth of feeling is very well done.

I don't think I've read many pieces where the main character is someone who suffers from not passing well -- you've portrayed her suffering well.

I recommend this piece highly.

thanks,

- iolanthe

Thank you, Iolanthe!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

The funny thing is, I’m jealous of YOUR prose! But, thank you for your comment; I’m glad the story connected.

Emma

Beautiful...

RachelMnM's picture

At a real lose for words... Perfect love story. Thank you for sharing...

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...

Thank you, Rachel

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Hugs,

Emma

Tenebrae

The first of your works that I've read is stunning for lack of a better word. A re-statement of the sentiment that love may well conquer all. This was worth every moment it took to read. I look forward to more of your contributions.. Thank you for sharing this.

GinNC

Thank you, Gin

Emma Anne Tate's picture

There’s a bit of me in all of my stories. But this one is very close to my heart. I’m glad you liked it.

Emma

Facing the darkness together

I’d not thought of it exactly this way, but isn’t that truly the best we can hope for from love?

Only half, I think

Emma Anne Tate's picture

The other half is sharing the sunrise together.

Thanks, Catherd.

Emma

Beautiful

Erisian's picture

Simply beautiful.

The depth of heart expressed here is absolutely magnificent. And through eyes in need of a tissue, I loved it. Thank you.

Thank you, Erisian

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I felt this one strongly. I’m not surprised you did too — but I am glad of it!

Emma

Simple words

Sunflowerchan's picture

Simple words fail me. I can not find a word powerful enough to really tell you how I feel. It feels, cheap of me to say this, but I enjoyed this story from start to finish. I enjoyed the simple touches, the title drew me in, Tebebrae. Having grew up in the Episcopal Church, I was expecting this to take place during Holy Week, instead I was treated to a wonderful snap shot of two people enjoying a private moment together. Thank you so very much for sharing this wonderful story with us.

Thank you, Sunflowerchan.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

What a lovely comment. Every time someone feels this one like I do, I feel like I’ve encountered a kindred spirit!

Emma

Seeing beyond

Andrea Lena's picture

I've only known you just a bit, but you're already 'reading my mail."

But Kay had shared those feelings in the deepest confidence, and Alice would never betray a trust. But neither would she ever forget Kay’s words. Kay had been one of the few people Alice had ever met who could see the reality beyond the direct evidence her senses presented. She had seen the incredible, beautiful person beneath the shell that Paul Stafford presented to the world, and she had loved and cherished it for decades. Allowed that spirit to blossom and flourish.

You know that I know that you know...

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Yes.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

It’s a familiar path, isn’t it? All of your senses tell you the you are one gender, society both enforces and reinforces that perception, and yet, your heart says no. And, hard as that is for us, for those we love it may be harder yet. They can’t see what is in our heart.

Emma

I also missed this the first time around

Since I've only been on this site this year. This is a powerful piece that stirs me greatly. Last month my partner and I celebrated 53 years married. All the things mentioned have played a part of our lives. We're still here but the thoughts of final days keeps lingering closer. This story is majestic and quieting. Beautiful.

Ron

Thank you, Ron.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I didn’t realize you’d been here an even shorter time than I have! Thank you for coming back to this one.

Emma

Darkness

Andrea Lena's picture

But that meant that, in all the world, she and Bea were the only people who would ever know the beautiful woman who sat beside her this evening. The rest of the world would only see “through a glass, darkly,” through their experience of the man, Paul Stafford. And Paul without either Kay or Jane . . . he would be a pale shadow.

There are days where i feel incomplete. Just substitute names? Just that I occasionally huddle in the dark alone. Very Powerful!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Hope

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Thank you for reading this, ‘Drea. I hope, though, that it was not too painful.

Emma

I discovered your work late in the game.

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

So I missed this when it first went up. Seeing that you posted "Comfort and Joy" gave me another of your fine tales to read. I greatly enjoyed the picture of a loving wife; aware of her spouse's alter ego and how she chose to react. I know by living with a woman who has had to do that, that it's not easy and such a woman needs to be admired.

It was "Comfort and Joy" that directed me here. I'm glad I took the time to click the link. These two tales are very much a snapshot of my life and what is to come. My wife and I have 58 years together as of last August. Old age is creeping up on us and when I dare to think about it I know that I have a whole lot of more of my life (and my wife's life) behind me than I do ahead of me.

Like Paul/Jane I've often asked how can she love me? I gave her every reason to kick my derriere to the curb, and yet she didn't. She saw something in me that I couldn't, and still can't, see. She hung in and waited for me to grow up and get my priorities straight. I often tell her that I can't imagine what terrible thing she did to make God pair her with me and I know there's nothing I could have done that would make God reward me with her.
At this point in life I sometime contemplate the unthinkable -- life without her, and at those times, I can see myself there at the church standing vigil struggling with the prospect of facing tomorrow and all of the tomorrows to come without the other half of my soul.

'and the two will become one flesh.’

Mark 10:8

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

This one chokes me up.

gillian1968's picture

I thought I read it when it first posted, but didn’t see a kudo.

This will be my third Christmas without my honey, and it still hits me from time to time.
Perhaps it’s the estradiol, but it’s especially deep tonight.

We had 30 years of sharing those special private times, but I still miss her.

Like all your writing, it’s honest and heartfelt.

Gillian Cairns

After reading…….

D. Eden's picture

Comfort and Joy, and the reference to this story, I decided to read it. I incorrectly assumed I had not read it before as I couldn’t remember the title - but I immediately recognized it upon starting.

I have had to stop repeatedly, both while reading and while typing this, because I cannot see through the tears.

When I first came out to my wife, she proposed an arrangement much like the one Kay agreed to with Paul. An arrangement where much like Jane, I could be myself - but only in the bedroom, or perhaps in the whole house. But never in public.

I tried - God knows that I tried. I lasted about six months, but couldn’t go any further. I told my wife that I couldn’t live as the dirty little secret in the closet anymore - but the truth is that I just didn’t have the strength that Jane had. For all the things that I had accomplished in my life, for all that I had faced, all that I had overcome, this was simply a step I couldn’t take. I had reached a point in my life where I could no longer go on as I had been, pretending to be something I was not. Forcing the real Dallas down into a box every time I faced the world and putting on a facade had simply become too much. I was taking the anger and hate for myself out on others, and that was eating my family and myself apart.

I moved forward with my transition. My wife begged me to stop, and I actually tried. That lasted about a year - right up until I suddenly found myself racing down some nameless highway in Western Maryland in excess of 120 mph heading right for a bridge abutment. It suddenly flashed in my mind what I was doing to those I loved, those who depended on me. I swerved, and some miles down the highway when I finally managed to stop, I pulled off the side of the road and cried. I cried for what I had become, and what I had almost done.

I picked up my cell phone and called my therapist. Luckily for me, she called me back within minutes - I guess the message I had left her was pretty bad, lol. We spent over two hours on the phone with me sitting beside a lonely highway on the hood of my Cadillac, pouring out more than I thought I would ever tell anyone. To say it was lifesaving may seem melodramatic - but it is only the truth.

With her help, I sat down with my wife and my three sons and told them things that I had bottled up for years - including who I truly am inside. And I told them that I was going to transition and become the person that I always have been down inside. I told them that I knew that the odds were that I would lose all of them; but I also explained what had just happened. I explained that it wasn’t the first time. That there had been many incidents before where I had come close - nights sitting in a hotel looking at a pile of pills, I told them of sitting up all night staring at my .45 trying to think of reasons not to put the barrel in my mouth and pull the trigger. I told them that if I kept denying things that it was only a matter of time before I ran out of reasons.

I am an engineer, so I told them the statistics - that there was a 4% chance my marriage would survive, and less than 50% chance that my relationship with my children would survive. Then I told them that the chances of me making another year were exactly 0% if I kept going the way I was. I told them that I loved them all, especially my wife, desperately - and that 4% was better odds than 0%.

When I walked out of the room, I was pretty sure I had lost them all. By that evening I knew that my two oldest sons would still be there for me, but not my wife or my youngest. My wife had already called a divorce lawyer, and my youngest was not speaking to me. I was devastated, but my middle son kept me going. He was our problem child growing up and he kept reminding me that I never gave up on him and that he wasn’t going to let me give up now. Somehow he kept me going.

Two weeks later my wife had my oldest son reach out to me - I was not answering her calls or texts, and had actually blocked her numbers. He told me she really needed to speak with me, so I called her to find out that she had told the lawyer to get lost as she realized that I was still the person she loved, and that the things about me that she loved most were the same ones that made me the woman I am inside.

Eight years later we are still together, and I have a better relationship with her and all three of my sons now then I ever had before.

The point behind this whole diatribe is that I didn’t have the strength and conviction to do what Jane/Paul did. But I took a chance, and in the end, we are all better for it.

What made me cry so much reading this was that this could so easily have been me. This could have been the story of my life.

I actually made my wife promise me that when I die she will have me buried as my true self; I know too many where families have not, and they end up being remembered as the family prefers rather than as themselves. That is a fear of mine. As is outliving my wife, the one love of my life. Without her I am but an empty shell.

For those who took the time to read this, I apologize for dumping this on you this close to the holidays. I have been depressed of late, and this story brought it out of me.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Jane’s Bargain

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Dear Dallas — thank you, as always, for your heartfelt comment. It’s very clear to me that dysphoria is a spectrum, just as sexual orientation is. There are many people here, like you, who hit a point where they simply couldn’t go on any further without bringing their whole lives into conformity with their internal gender identification. For others, the pressure is more bearable. So, Jane’s story might have been yours, if your dysphoria had been less strong. It isn’t simply a matter of strength and conviction.

Actually, I think what you did took incredible strength and conviction. You figured out what you needed to do to survive, you discussed it with your wife and kids, and you let them make up their own minds. Fortunately, they came around, but you took the chance.

Emma

In the words of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle…….

D. Eden's picture

“When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth.”

For me, my truth was that the real choice was life or death - whether fast at my own hand, or a slow, drawn out and suffering death of my soul, the end result would be the same.

I couldn’t take the coward’s way out - nor could I bear the thought of facing the rest of my life pretending to be someone I am not.

Your character Paul/Jane had more strength than I. In a way, I envy Jane though - I was in my mid 50’s before I faced my truth, and I missed decades because of that. Jane at least had the opportunity to express herself, and the love of her spouse as her true self. Even if it was behind closed doors.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus