[NewTerra] Trained For This

Printer-friendly version

Aureo ran for his life. All the while looking behind him for pursuers. There weren't any. Not yet, anyway. It was only a matter of time. The Cortez syndicate does not forget or forgive.

Running out of the oldest district of New Boston, Aureo fell to his knees. His lungs burning and every gulp of air was desperately needed and fought for. Before him, the cobbled street opened up to the train station. A massive area that stretched as far as he could see. He couldn't even see the beasts of burden that pulled wagons numbered in the hundreds behind them. One of them, he had to board. Else, he might be as good as dead. The death itself would probably be a release after vigorous torture.

Still winded, Aureo pulled himself up. Aiming for the only part of the station that was roofed, Aureo stumbled more than walked towards the ticket booth. Fate had mercy on him as the last customer just left. Leaving no waiting line for him. At once, Aureo hurried over and leaned - nearly collapsed - against the counter.

"Welcome to the New Boston train terminal. Run by the Appalachian Train Union. What can I-" The ticket clerk finally looked up and saw the sorry state of the person before her was in. "Are you alright? Do you need medical assistance? I could call someone."

"No. I am. Fine," Aureo assured her. "Need to- Ticket."

The ticket clerk wasn't caught off-guard for long. Her professional training took over. "Where to, if I may ask?"

"Anywhere!" Aureo answered with more force than intended and was polite. Cringing himself, he lowered his voice. "Just out of New Boston. First train."

Understanding dawned in the clerk's eyes. Only people in trouble didn't care for a destination. And Aureo certainly looked the part. She kind of felt bad for him. "The next train leaving is heading for Worthington Heights in the Greater Chicago area in two days. I am sorry."

Aureo nearly collapsed then and there again. His one hope of escape was dashed quickly. Sure, he could run by car, but Cortez's men would find him soon enough. The country roads wouldn't get him far and the highways could be easily blocked off. Not to mention that the syndicate was in all the nearby cities. Small or big. He'd be looking over his shoulder for days and probably not make it very far.

"Wait!" The clerk looked excited. "I just see the Neville Express hasn't left the station yet. They have been delayed by an hour. Maybe forty minutes now left." Then her optimism faltered. "But I have to warn you. It is a luxury train. Cruise ship on wheels so to speak. A ticket won't come cheap."

"How much?"

"About two thousand if you want to leave the East American Commonwealth behind."

Aureo emptied his pockets. He had grabbed what he could, but would it be enough? Bills small and big landed on the counter. But it became obvious quite early that Aureo would be well short.

"Let me-" The clerk turned towards her terminal again. Typing away with a speed Aureo could never hope to match. "You may be in luck after all. The Neville Express is looking for workers. If you hurry and speak with the owner, you might earn your ride."

"Brilliant!" Aureo exclaimed. He could kiss her right now. If she hadn't been behind glass. He dashed off, only to stop two seconds later.

"Platform eleven," the clerk shouted.

Giving a small bow, Aureo took off again. His destination was one of the pedestrian bridges that spanned the train yard. Climbing two stairs at once, Aureo quickly became winded again. By the time he reached the top of the stairs, Aureo needed another break.

At least, he had a good view over the train station. Close by - on the platforms one, two, and three - were shorter trains. Aureo guessed about two hundred fifty to three hundred wagons long. These probably serviced the closer destinations that were reachable within a week. Namely, the area the East American Commonwealth claimed as their own. On the platforms four and six were long-distance trains parked. They could reach up to six hundred wagons. Though Aureo had neither time nor mood to count these. Maybe half of them might be freight wagons and the last chance to hide and escape if the Neville Express didn't take him in.

But it was the sight further that baffled Aureo and nearly robbed him of his breath all over again. It must be the Neville Express on platform eleven. But contrary to the name, this behemoth of a metal snake couldn't be fast. Rather the opposite. Aureo couldn't even guess the length as one end reached up to the horizon. The serviceable part of the train station was barely able to house the roughly two hundred passenger wagons. Each was three floors tall. Beyond was a large number of service and staff wagons, followed by even more dedicated to freight. The tail end Aureo likened to wagon rejects. He barely could make them out, but they looked skeletal in nature. As if everything, but their frame, had rusted away.

Looking towards the other side of the bridge, the train kept going. More service and staff wagons stretched out of the terminal. Beyond Aureo could make out the largest locomotive he had ever seen. Easily as long as five normal-sized wagons.

The colossal sight kept Aureo in its ban until he snapped out of it. There was no time. If he wanted to board that train he had to hurry. Once again, Aureo started to run. This time a bit more paced. Trying to avoid other pedestrians. The bridge was wide but crowded. It only thinned out after the stairs down to platform six. A reminder that the other platforms were empty. Safe for eleven, but it would be soon too.

Hastening down the flight of stairs, he easily attracted the attention of the train's staff. They stood stiff at a few chosen doors. Wearing a dark green uniform with silvery details and livery. Polished black boots rounded off the outfit. They barely reacted outward, but Aureo could feel their eyes trailing him. While they didn't look welcoming toward him, it still filled Aureo with hope. At least they still stood outside. Meaning there was still time.

Arriving at the first pair of uniforms, Aureo was spoken to before he even could open his mouth. "Ticket, please."

"I-" Aureo broke off against his will. His lungs had been abused too much. Now he fought against their demand for rest and to push out a few more words. "Don't. Have. One."

"Then, Sir, I can't let you enter. If you hurry, there still might be time to buy one at the kiosk in the station's main building." The man's strict posture softened a little. "Though, I might caution you. The price is steep."

"I know," Aureo finally managed to say. Hoping to cut off the lecture for good. He got that the man was polite and only tried to express sympathy. Sadly, Aureo had no time for it. "I heard you hire and I would like to apply."

"I see." The man mustered Aureo who tried to straighten up but failed. Not that the first impression wasn't ruined anyway. But as pitiful Aureo looked, it was enough. "You have to speak to the owner. Good luck, but then again you might not need much. Mister Neville has a bleeding heart for cases like you."

"I- Thanks." What else was a man to say if they were talked down to, but also encouraged? "May I inquire where I can find him?"

The staffer leaned forward and pointed directly ahead of the train. "Mister Neville resides in the locomotive. If you hurry, you still might make it."

Aureo looked baffled in the direct and then back at the man. They were in the middle of the passenger section. Before Aureo had guessed there might be around two hundred wagons for the staff that came before the locomotive capped the train. About three hundred wagons and Aureo might have a half-hour to bridge the distance. Of course, outside of the train. Because he had no ticket.

Giving a weary sigh, Aureo once again started running. This time at an even more measured pace. This was no distance he could sprint by. After about fifty meters, he remembered his manners. Stopping and turning, to give the helpful person a quick bow. Then resumed his running. Past more and more staffers and conductors. All in the dark green uniform with gleaming silver highlights.

Past the railing that marked the end of the platform and the beginning of a section normally reserved for station personnel. The gravel now underneath his feet made for a poor track. But beggars couldn't be choosers. He nearly stumbled in surprise as the first shout of encouragement arrived. A few residents of the train had spotted him running by. More and more leaned out. Calling out. Bestowing blessings and well wishes. If only Aureo had time to listen. Most of what he could hear was the heartbeat echoing through his ears and the labored breathing that filled his entire being.

Nearly at the brink of collapse, Aureo arrived. Drenched in sweat and breathing hard, he made it. The locomotive towered before him. Three stories tall and unusually long. A behemoth still slumbering. The wheels were still resting. There still was time.

"Hello there!" The shout drew Aureo's gaze to a tall, but thin older man leaning out of a door. He was, of course, dressed in the livery of the train, but the uniform looked more refined to Aureo. As if made of better materials. There was a crispness to it. "Be careful. The train is about to roll out. I'd hate for you to end up under its wheels."

At once, Aureo's eyes widened. Had his luck run out after all? He tried to explain himself, but once again, his breath gave out. His body was on the brink of exhaustion. Never had Aureo demanded so much of it in such a short span of time. When words escaped him, Aureo feebly reached out to the man in a gesture of desperation.

"Say." The older man leaned a bit back. As if seeing Aureo suddenly in a new light. "You wouldn't be here by chance for a job? We are looking for help, you know."

At that moment, Aureo could have kissed the man. Instead, he nodded as if his life depended on it. Which, in fact, it might as well do.

"Then come on in," the older gentleman said. He went back inside the locomotive but left the door open.

Hurrying forward, Aureo found the deed easier said than done. A short ladder led towards the door of maybe two meters in height. To Aureo, they felt like twenty, and each rung up was hard fought for. He really was at his end of strength. Yet, he needed just a little more. At last, he arrived at the end. Dragged himself into the interior. And while there was nothing more on his mind than collapsing and letting the world be the world for a while, he shoved the door closed with a kick of a tired leg. It was a sign. Not for others, but for himself. He wouldn't leave this way. He was here to stay.

Aureo couldn't tell how long he laid there. But eventually, he found a modicum of strength. Enough to pull himself up on shaky legs and stumble further into the locomotive. Looking around, it certainly wasn't like he imagined one to look. Sure, there were some pipes and steel. But most was hidden behind the tastefully chosen wood cladding. It looked expensive. More fit for a luxury suite than the workplace affair a locomotive should be.

Aureo found the older gentleman in a small cabin behind an ornate desk. It was a tight affair as most of the room was taken up by the desk and display shelves. The items on exhibition struck Aureo more as mementos than simple displays of wealth.

"Come sit," the man said before filling two fine porcelain cups with tea from an equally lavish designed kettle. Now Aureo was reminded of just how parched he was. All that running had taken its toll. But the tea was still trailing steam. A happenstance that didn't hinder the host from taking a generous sip. Only then, after seeing Aureo hesitate, did the man wise up. "Right. My bad." He produced a large glass from behind the desk and a pitcher of cold water. By the condensation, Aureo could guess it was cooled.

"Now then," the man continued after handing the glass over. "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Hamish Neville. I am the head engineer and driver of this fine engine."

"The owner of this train," Aureo added.

Neville chuckled. "So people tell me. The truth is a little more complicated. But for all intents and purposes, I act as the caretaker of this train. And you are?"

"Aureo," he volunteered. "Aureo Testa, Mister Neville. And I am very grateful to you for taking your time hearing me out."

"My pleasure. My pleasure," Hamish said before taking another sip from the tea. "And call me Hamish. Not even my mother called me Mister Neville. So, Aureo, you are looking for work."

"Yes, sir," Aureo nodded eagerly. If this train was his ticket out of town, he'd do anything to get the job. Or part of it. Even if it meant working and grime and dirt. He was used to that anyway.

"Well, we can use the help." Hamish chuckled again. This time as if he shared an inside joke with himself. "So, tell me, have you ever worked on a train? Any skills of note?"

"No, Sir." Aureo's fear returned. What if he couldn't bring anything to the table? "I was a technician in a mine. A safety inspector too and some knowledge in engineering."

"Ah, I see." Hamish leaned back. In thought, he brushed his mustache with his right hand. It wasn't long enough to twirl. "Maintenance it is then. We can always use a good pair of hands there. But I am afraid I have to ask. The manner of your arrival. You are not in trouble with the authorities, are you?"

"No, sir!" Aureo exclaimed quickly. "It was in the mines, sir. Something I saw. The syndicate-"

Aureo stopped as Neville held his hand up. "I don't need those details. But I am afraid your word alone is not enough. I hope you don't mind a background check." With those words, the older gentleman pulled out an ID-scanner. A slim tablet that he placed on the desk.

"Not a problem, Sir." Aureo placed his hand on it. He knew this little device would read his soul-ID. Compare it to the database of the East American Commonwealth and probably to the surrounding countries, republics, and free cities. It wouldn't take long over the local internet. Farther away destinations would require longer waiting times. Even for electronic requests. Feedback from the west coast of America might take a week and a reply from another continent a month or longer. These weren't the times of old Earth where the internet spanned the globe and was near-instantaneous. Here, the internet was splintered and divided. With many bottlenecks. Most of them were on purpose.

"Everything checks out," Hamish assured Aureo as he took the id-scanner back. "Welcome on board. Sherin will take you to your cabin and later hand out your assignment."

Aureo loathed to admit it, but he was confused. "Excuse me. Who?"

Instead of answering, Hamish pointed behind Aureo. As he turned around to look, he had the fright of his life. Just a step behind his chair loomed a woman. Looking down at Aureo with an unreadable expression. No, woman wasn't quite right. As his heart calmed down again, he noticed details. She wasn't quite natural. An android. Aureo had never seen one before, but this must be it. The East American Commonwealth wasn't the most advanced. Neither in technology or magiology. In fact, magic, in general, was frowned upon. As a result, an android walking these lands was quite unheard of.

"I see." Aureo stood up and gave Mister Neville the best bow he could manage under such cramped circumstances. "I thank you for your time and this opportunity. I won't take much more of it. Hopefully, I haven't delayed the train's departure by very long."

Hamish gave him another chuckle. "Oh, don't worry, dear Aureo. This train left the station the moment you closed that door."

Aureo was flabbergasted. He didn't know much about trains, but could this monstrously large engine get thousand or more wagons moving without him noticing? Aureo had expected the squeal of gears and wheels. A jerk when the train first overcame the resistance preventing motion and actually started to roll. But he felt and heard none of that.

Instead of commenting, Aureo gave another bow. Sometimes it was better to stay quiet and not embarrass oneself further. Leaving the small cabin, he followed Sherin the android. She was of the silent type too. Just like the engine that pulled this train along. He could barely hear her footsteps.

"Most wagons have three levels." For an android, she had a very melodic voice. Not what Aureo expected at all. "Most wagons have a layout that reserves partially or all of the lowest level for the train's staff. As you are part of it, it is expected that you use these routes. In your free time, you can partake in the entertainment that is usually reserved for our paying customers. However, only as long as you do not take up a place reserved for them and as long as you are presentable."

In other words, Aureo better clean up and not run around in work clothes that were drenched in sweat. Not that he had any other kind at the moment.

Following Sherin, Aureo got a quick tour. Limited to the briskest outline. They passed one wagon that served as a kitchen and cafeteria for the staff. It reminded Aureo that he hadn't eaten since breakfast. After a few more wagons dedicated to staff, they arrived at their destination.

"This will be your cabin."

Peeking in, Aureo saw a small compartment. One bed. A small desk and chair. A few spaces to stow belongings. Aureo suspected they would stay empty for a while. However, the cabin was clean and tidy. In addition, it was for only one person. Aureo didn't have to share accommodations. It was more than he had expected.

"At the end of the hallway to the left is this wagon's community bath," Sherin continued and pointed down-train. "I'd suggest you use this facility immediately as it is currently free. By the time you are done, I will have a set of a uniform in your size."

"Thank you," Aureo replied a little too late. Sherin was already on the move. Shrugging, Aureo followed the directions. The community bathroom was small but had to his surprise a bath. One he sorely needed. Locking the door, he stripped out of his filthy garments and ran a bath. One quite hot. Another luxury he hadn't expected.

Just slipping into the water gave his aching muscles relief. More than one sigh escaped him. Never had a bath felt this good in his life. For a while, Aureo closed his eyes and soaked. Enjoying the warmth.

A faint click made Aureo think someone had opened the door. Although he was sure he had locked it. A glance over the shoulder revealed it was still shut.

"Must have imagined it." With his nerves frayed as they were, he wouldn't put it past himself. Just as he was about to relax again, a few details caught his attention. For one, his clothes were gone. And on a nearby small counter was a stack of neatly folded dark green clothes with silvery accents. Peeking over the rim of the tub, Aureo even spied a pair of polished shoes. They even looked his size.

"That sneaky-" Aureo cut himself off. If that Android could slip into the bathroom without him detecting it, who knows what else she'd be capable of. It was better not to run his mouth. The whole incident also reminded him that he wasn't here for leisure. It reminded him to grab a brush and soap, and attack his body vigorously.

A quarter-hour later, Aureo felt like a man again. Dressed in his new uniform - which fit perfectly - he was ready to face the world again. Opening the door, Aureo made an involuntary step back. Sherin. She was right there. Waiting inches in front of the door.

The android gave him a quick glance all over. "Now he looks the part. Excellent." For the first time, she gave him any sign of human emotion. A bright smile. It even looked genuine. Aureo wasn't sure he liked it.

"Shall we?"

Aureo swallowed his nervousness down. "Lead the way."


It's been a month since Aureo joined the Neville Express and to his surprise, he liked it here. At any point, he could have left. By now there was half a continent between him and the syndicate that wanted him dead.

Why he stayed was a little hard to pinpoint for Aureo. The pay wasn't bad. The fellow staff was friendly. He even could imagine them growing as tight as a surrogate family. Even the work was nice. Nothing too complicated, but wagons were complex. A lot could break and needed regular maintenance. Aureo rarely did the same work twice a week.

The only drawback he could see was the tight environment. Wagons were about forty meters long and varied in width between four and six meters. Most had three floors. It sounded like a lot, but in practical terms, it wasn't much space. Every living space had to make do with some compromises. Slowly, Aureo got used to that too. What he didn't get used to was Sherin. That sneaky android was vexing him to no end. He could talk to her and then walk down or up-train at a brisk pace for a few hundred wagons and she still could manage to arrive before him. And he doubted he could ever get used to her being so sneaky.

But Sherin wasn't the only mystery this train had to offer. Today's job assignment was a good example. He had received a long list to be filled out. Going to each wagon personally and speaking to the responsible staffer if anything needed to be fixed or early maintenance. Except for a good third of the wagons were missing on the list. When Aureo asked, he got a confusing reply: "Those don't break. Never need maintenance too."

Aureo shrugged it off. If that was the assignment, then he would do it. With a little exception. Wagon four hundred thirty-two was dear to his heart. With a small smile he couldn't suppress, he climbed the small spiral staircase that led to the showroom of the wagon. The afternoon show was in full swing. On stage was an older gentleman - Aureo guessed a good decade older than Mister Neville - who performed feats of "instinctive manipulation of the quantum field". Also called "magic" by the uneducated or ignorant. Small tricks and spells dazzled the two dozen people in the audience. At its center was "The Fantastical Magician Lahovary". Who performed amazing feats one after another.

Though noteworthy, the show wasn't what made Aureo's heart beat faster. It was the assistant's flash of a smile as she spied him. Mirela had captured Aureo's heart without resistance. She was just perfect. Maybe a little too much for this world. Not that Aureo minded.

Quietly, he waited at the end of the room. The exclamations of excitement from the audience when Mister Lahovary performed another miracle washed past Aureo. His eyes were riveted onto Mirela who helped out on the small stage and took over narration if the magician needed to concentrate.

At last, the show ended and Aureo was elated as Mirela made her way over to him. Past the audience that gathered around the old magician to get autographs.

"Mister Testa." Mirela's voice was music to his ears. "What can I do for you?"

"Aureo. Please," he gently corrected her. "And I was just about to ask the same."

Mirela looked confused. A minuscule frown that somehow made her even more attractive to Aureo. "I am sorry. We usually don't need anything. So, I am a little lost by your offer."

"Well, you see." Aureo suddenly felt a little more nervous. A bit foolish too. "I am making the rounds and taking stock of which wagon needs repairs or maintenance."

"Ah." Mirela gave him a nod of understanding. "There must be a mistake with your list. This wagon doesn't need either."

"No, the list is correct." As Aureo saw another frown appear on Mirela's face, he corrected himself double-time. "Your wagon isn't on it. But I thought asking couldn't hurt, right? I mean surely sometimes something breaks, right? Or a door needs a bit of oil to open properly. A light bulb needs-"

"Oh, Aureo. That's sweet of you." The smile of amusement on Mirela's face might have ticked off Aureo on any other person. But combined with her reaching for his arm made it all worth it. "I guess no one explained to you that this is a Manteriantus Wagon."

Now it was Aureo's turn to be confused. He never heard of such a thing. And, as usual, he tried to play it over with humor. "Bless you?"

"Very funny," Mirela replied in a voice that hinted at not a hint of amusement in the joke, but appreciation for the effort. "Alright. I'll explain it to you. Neville might be a better choice for the details, but by now I think I can relay the basics with some authority."

"I am all ears." Not that Aureo really cared for the lecture. But he liked spending time with Mirela. Finding out about the mysterious wagons that are impervious to damage was a nice bonus.

"You see this wagon is magic." When the sentence didn't invoke the desired reaction in Aureo, Mirela looked around and then leaned over to him to whisper. "As in real magic. Or applied manipulation of the quantum field or whatever you want to call it."

"Oh!" What else was Aureo to say? Though, after a few moments, some questions came to his mind. "I guess the wagon fixes whatever is wrong. But how does it know what to fix?"

"Good question." She even gave him another smile that threatened to melt his heart. "You see, Manteriantus Wagons need a person - or more specifically a soul - to bind to it."

"You are connected to it?"

"About fifty-five years ago a young magician with great aspirations needed a little cash to restart his show. First, he took a job on this train. Just like you. That man was Caius Lahovary." Mirela stepped to the side and with perfect timing revealed the old magician who gave a bow with a flourish to Aureo from across the room. "When he heard of Neville's generous restoration offer, he couldn't resist. He became bound to this very wagon. It is now an extension of himself. As am I."

Aureo frowned. "You?"

"Aureo, you do know I am an android, right?"

"Android?" Even hearing Mirela say it, Aureo had a hard time believing such a fact. She looked human. He could see the fine pores on her skin. Her slight breathing. The way her eyes adjusted to the light. It all was human. Felt human. Beautiful in every way. A work of art. Aureo developed doubt. Maybe she wasn't as natural as he thought. Rather than being blessed with beauty at birth, she might be sculpted by someone.

"Oh, right. Sometimes I forget." Mirela acted like she hadn't just shattered Aureo's worldview. "Sometimes I still see this body as to when I first got it. It wasn't one provided by Mister Neville. Rather, I was found on a scrap heap. You wouldn't believe how I looked back then. All exposed metal and even some loose wires. Quite embarrassing in hindsight."

Slowly, all the information tickled through Aureo's brain. It was a lot to stomach. Not just that Mirela was an android. If what she said was true then she wasn't at all what he thought she might be.

"So, in other words, you are Caius?"

"Oh, goodness, no!" Mirela exclaimed but was quick to elaborate. "You see, when Caius activated me, he did so with a purpose in mind. I was to be his assistant. And he gave me a personality to match. Granted, it evolved. My personality became more nuanced, but my core values remained the same. We do share information, but how we act on them is different."

"I think I understand," Aureo admitted. It had certain implications and in a way, he was curious to know more. But it also put Mirela into a new perspective. He wasn't quite sure how to feel about it yet. Mirela was the creation of Caius. How much control did he still have over her? Glancing over at the old man, Aureo voiced a different concern. "I hope you don't mind me asking, but what happens to you when Caius passes away? I don't mean to offend you, but he looks old. Frail. Honestly, I can't believe he still does those shows."

"Oh, I will continue to exist. This wagon needs a soul to function and a soul needs a body. Normally if a person dies the soul has no more home and moves on. But I am a body capable of tethering a soul. And Mister Neville probably would add that this wagon in itself is capable of it too." Mirela gave it a sigh. "But to be honest, I have feared Caius passing away for years now. I did everything I could to postpone the inevitable. Yet it is bound to happen. Sooner rather than later, I fear."

"What will you do when it happens?" Aureo wanted to know. Fascinated by this strange creature before him. "Will you take over the show?"

"I thought about it a lot," Mirela admitted. "I could. Or I could ask Mister Neville for a new android body. Replace Caius in a way, but that seems wrong too." She gave a sigh that sounded so human that Aureo's heart begged to forget she was an android. "Maybe I should start something new. I was part of this show for decades. And decades still lie ahead of me. I can change. So can this wagon. Whatever I decide, it will change to accommodate it."

"That is a lot," Aureo said aloud. Wondering himself what he meant by that. Was it all the information he had to absorb in such a short time, or the fate that awaited Mirela and Caius? "I need to get going. Work, you know? Talk to you soon."

"Of course," Mirela said with a small nod and a glint of sadness. But she straightened up a moment later. "See you soon."

Walking away, Aureo had a lot on his mind. Did his feelings for Mirela change now that he knew she was an android? They certainly felt more muddled and complex. He needed time to untangle this mess. But should he still pursue her? Was she even interested in him? She certainly displayed emotions, but could she fall in love?

His mind circled the same questions all day. Even late into the evening. Sitting in the small employee cafeteria, he had stirred the same mug of chocolate for hours. By now, he had concluded his feelings for her were real. Hers might be true too. But if they were - and if she had any for him - where did it leave him?

They could live happily together for years. Decades even. But he would age and she wouldn't. Just like her creator, she would outlive him. That was in a way very sad to him. Mirela was for all purposes immortal. It ashamed Aureo that this fact made him hesitate. For he wasn't sure if he could stomach living beside someone who wouldn't age a bit, while he became older and frail.

Giving a deep sigh, Aureo pushed off the table. Might as well empty that mug and call it a night. Yet he froze mid-movement. A faded flyer pinned to the cafeteria's blackboard caught his eye. Curious, he walked closer.

It was an offer of employment. Limited for six months. It involved linking with one of the Manteriantus Wagons in poor condition. Giving it a soul so it could repair itself. Aureo recognized this offer as the same that Caius took all those years back.

"Why would they offer a temporary contract when the soul binding is permanent?" Aureo muttered under his breath.

"The connection is breakable if done in time."

Aureo jumped aside at the sudden voice beside him. He had thought he had been alone, but that damn Sherin stood right beside him. The sneaky android had done it again.

Not wanting to give the android more food for amusement, Aureo collected himself. Right. If anyone knew about this stuff then it was Mister Neville's right hand. "And in time equals to- ?"

"Normally, it takes about a year for a soul to bind irrevocably to a Manteriantus Wagon," Sherin volunteered. "However, this is an estimated time and can vary between each person. To bind fully within a half year is rare. We would offer an early exit of the contract if this was the case."

Aureo glanced back at the flyer. He didn't like the prospect to end up like Caius, but then again he wouldn't have to. Just six months. No more. The half a million dollars it promised as a payout was what really caught Aureo's attention. It was enough to start a new life anywhere. Even overseas. There, the Cortez syndicate was sure to never find him.

"Should I mark you down as interested?"

Aureo slowly turned around to Sherin. Not knowing that the next word would change his life forever. "Yes."


The next morning, Mister Neville showed up while Aureo had breakfast. Together they made the trip down-train. Past passenger, employee, and cargo wagons. It was quite a walk. Aureo was even a little winded. Not so Hamish Neville. The older gentleman looked fit for his age. He certainly showed Aureo that one could do better.

"It is not much to look at," Neville said as they reached the first rundown Manteriantus Wagon. "But it has everything it needs to come back alive and be great. Provided a caring soul takes charge."

Aureo had his doubts. The wagon wasn't much more than rusted skeletal ribs of steel on an undercarriage that had seen better days. It was a wonder it didn't fall apart. Especially as it was the first of the rundown wagons and over a hundred tailed this one. Aureo couldn't fathom how much force this wagon had to withstand to not be pulled apart.

"And magic can fix all this?" Aureo asked. Not even trying to mask the doubt in his voice.

Hamish gave him a fatherly smile. "You just walked through a dozen of Manteriantus Wagons that had been off worse, yet you didn't notice."

Aureo still had his doubts. But for half a million, he certainly was willing to try. "So, where do I start? Actually, how do I start?"

"Over here," Neville said and walked casually over the rotten floor. Stepping over gaping maws of rusted holes that showed the train track below them rush past.

Aureo was a lot more careful traversing the minefield of deadly pitfalls. There was no doubt that he wouldn't survive falling through any of them. It took Aureo five minutes to arrive at the junction box where Neville waited for him at. Thankfully, it was bolted to one of the beams that looked less rusted and solid enough to grab onto and cling to as if his life depended on it. Which it might actually do.

Opening the junction box revealed a surprisingly pristine and clean interior. It didn't house a lot. A large crystal and a few cables, of a type, Aureo had never seen before, connected to it.

"Just place one of your hands on the crystal and wait until it feels warm under your touch."

Aureo was reluctant to let go of the beam. Even if one hand remained on it. Yet the sooner he got this over with the sooner he could return to solid land. He hoped. The crystal felt cold to his touch. Not freezing, but lower in temperature than it had any reason to be. It did take a while. Aureo guessed about fifteen minutes until he couldn't feel a difference in temperature between his hand and the crystal.

"I think this is it."

"Hmm, yes," Hamish agreed. He looked amused. "Interesting. You were a good chunk faster than the average. Not the fastest, mind you, but remarkable nonetheless."

Aureo liked compliments as much as the next person, but right now was not the time for them. "Was that it? Can we return there now?" He pointed at the entrance to the last cargo wagon. The last remnant of solid, non-treacherous, ground.

"Of course," Neville said, before returning there at a casual pace. Not clinging to anything. For Aureo it looked like some kind of magic. Maybe the equivalent for sea-legs, just for trains. As Aureo made the journey too, Hamish continued. "Now the next step is quite easy. Just spend time with the wagon while being close to it. Your subconscious mind will do the rest. Grab something to read if you will. It takes time. But if you are impatient, you can try meditating. That helps speed it up a little."

"I'll give it a try," Aureo promised.

"Good. Good," Neville said while nodding sagely. "I'll come by in a week. See how much progress you made."

Saying their goodbyes, Aureo took stock of his new project. It really was in an abysmal state. Normally, he fixed things with his hands too. Not just with his mind.

"Now, don't get too attached to this wagon," Aureo joked to himself. "Wouldn't wanna get stuck, right? No matter how tempting this view looks."

If he looked to the side - and didn't pay attention to the wagon - the view was actually nice. The area they traveled through was sparsely populated and most of it was untamed. It made for a great panorama.

Sitting down on a spot where crisscrossing beams and metal nearly amounted to a floor, Aureo closed his eyes. It was to meditate and kick this into high gear. The sooner he got this done, the earlier he could leave a rich man. If he wanted to. There still was Mirela on his mind.

She wasn't the only thing that hindered his concentration. Now and then he had to peek at the landscape. It was beautiful. If only he didn't have to squint as much. It was summer and there was barely a cloud in the sky. It left him exposed to the sun.

By noon, he got the hang of it. Though sometimes he still fought to not nod off. Thankfully, some piece of roof blocked the sun just right, so it didn't blind him anymore. Glancing up, it really looked small. Just barely enough to provide his eyes relief. But there was something else to it. Nothing of the roof had survived, save spokes of metal frame and this small rectangle. Which made the small sheet of metal stand out more. Surprise filled him as he concluded that the material looked new. Not rusted at all. Which made him wonder, had it been there when he had started meditating?

Mister Neville had said the wagon would respond to his subconscious mind. Said mind had been annoyed by the glaring sun. It had to be. Aureo had willed this tiny chunk of metal into existence. And if he could do that, what else could he do?

Priorities. Aureo had to itemize what was important. A roof over his head would be nice to escape the sun, but overall not urgent. No matter what his subconscious said. Removing some of the rust could be good. Less chance to cut himself on some sharp fragment and catch tetanus or something worse.

No, the most important spot was right under Aureo's butt. He needed a floor. If nothing else then for the safety of his mind. And body too. Right now, the wagon was a rolling deathtrap. Aureo had to change it as soon as possible.

Once again, he focused inward. Imagining the wagon as it was now and willing to change. He could envision it. New metal sprouting and slowly spreading. Covering up the many holes of the undercarriage.

"How is it going?"

Aureo nearly jumped from his seat. Looking around, he spotted Mirela. But the view behind her was more worrying. Darkness was falling.

"Yes, it is evening already," Mirela confirmed. "Time can fly if working on a Manteriantus Wagon. I know you didn't eat dinner. People told me. But did you eat lunch?"

Now reminded, Aureo's stomach growled. "I guess not. Really lost my time there."

"Come on," Mirela urged Aureo and helped him get up. "Time to get you something to eat. It is important. Don't neglect it. And be patient. It takes a while to get started with a Manteriantus Wagon. Don't prioritize it over everything else."

"I will," Aureo promised. "But I did manage this." Pointing up to the small rectangle of the roof. However, at twilight, it was hard to make out. "A little bit of new metal up there."

"Cool," Mirela said. "Now come eat."

"Alright." Aureo really could eat, he decided.

As they entered the next wagon, both failed to see the shiny new spot of metal flooring. Right at the spot where Aureo had sat.


"That is quite the progress, Mister Testa." Hamish Neville sounded impressed.

"It is just a third of the floor," Aureo said to play it down. Bragging was something he detested. Even if he did something extraordinary himself.

"Aureo." Just his name spoken by Neville somehow sounded like praise but also chiding for childish behavior. "Some can't manage a third of a floor in a month. Let alone a week. You are really gifted."

"Thank you," Aureo replied while staying humble. But part of him being proud still slipped through. "To be honest, I was just motivated to have something preventing me from falling to my death. Now, I can relax a little."

"It is good to set the right pace." Neville sounded positively fatherly. But it switched to motherly just a sentence later. "And you take care of yourself? Don't forget to eat and drink."

Aureo couldn't help but blush. "I have a lunch bag over there." He pointed to the brown paper bag that he conveniently forgot to mention was strapped to a metal beam since the day before. He reasoned it might be better not to mention that he hadn't touched the bag for lunch yesterday. Or forgotten to bring a new one today.

"Good. Good." Neville was in full father mode again. Or grandfather. "One needs the energy to accomplish great things."

"I'll keep that in mind."


"I brought you lunch."

Aureo blushed. "Thanks, Mirela."

Of course, she knew that he had forgotten to pack any. She didn't have to wait to see the guilty look on his face. How many times had he forgotten now? Just this week? Aureo feared the answer.

"Look." Aureo proudly pointed to the wagon below them. "I nearly got the floor done. After only three weeks."

"Don't change the subject. Geez, Aureo. I can see how cracked and cratered your lips are. Do you drink enough?"

"Yes," Aureo promptly said. Maybe a little too quick and forceful. "Mostly in the evening. After work."

"Aureo." Mirela sounded sad. "You have to take better care of yourself. The people around you can do only so much."

"I know. I know," Aureo said chastised. Mirela and Neville had a point. "It is just- There is so much potential. I hadn't realized how much, Mirela. It's like the wagon is made out of clay. Ready - eager - to be formed by me. Once I have the floor, walls, and ceiling done-" Aureo let out a pained sigh. "I have so many plans. And I can feel it. The magic can make it real. All of them. If I just had the wagon ready for it."

"Aureo. Listen to me." Mirela grabbed him by the shoulders and with a force that surprised him. "Look me in the eyes. This is important." She actually waited until he established eye contact and did not immediately break it again. "Answer me one question. Who is remaking this wagon?"

"I do? Or do you mean the magic-"

"Oh, you wanna get smart with me?" Mirela didn't sound playful. She was dead serious. "Who's doing it in a week? Or two? If you last that long. Who takes over once you are dead?"

Aureo was shocked. She might as well have hit him. That would probably have hurt less. He had skipped a few meals, but it wasn't that bad, right? Except she looked so serious.

"You are addicted, Aureo," she continued. "It happens. Some people just take to Manteriantus Wagons like that. I know how hard it can be to resist. Why do you think I fought so long and hard to keep Caius alive? But here is the deal, Aureo. I can't be there for both of you. Don't you owe it to yourself to see this through? If so, then you better start taking care of yourself."

Aureo stumbled backward as she let go. Landing painfully on his butt. He grasped for words, but none came. The instinct was there to deny all accusations. But he realized she was right. Maybe it was worse than he was willing to admit.

But Mirela didn't give him to come up with words. She turned around. Walking to the next wagon. Leaving him behind. But just as she was about to enter the cargo wagon up-train, she turned around a last time. "And Aureo. Take shower. Better yet, a bath."

It wasn't that bad, was it? Once Mirela was gone, Aureo took a whiff of himself. He nearly gagged. How could he not have noticed? A garbage can might smell nicer than him.

Mirela was right. This couldn't go on. Maybe he should go to Neville and quit. No, he was too far gone. But he could take Mirela's advice. It was time to face the consequences and get his act together. Starting with a bath. He really needed one. Or two.


"Marvellous progress. Especially for only two and a half months" Hamish Neville admitted as Aureo had led him into the wagon. "I don't think any of the other wagons have this many windows. Or as large ones."

"I enjoy the panorama a lot," Aureo admitted sheepishly. "If I am not meditating, I often just enjoy the view. That's why I have those large windows."

"That is quite alright," Hamish assured him. "Hmm, you extended the roof to the standard three-level layout of the other wagons, but there aren't any additional floors. Is that on purpose?"

Of course, Mister Neville had to point that out. "For now. I don't plan on adding full floors, but maybe a few platforms. I like it to remain open and connected."

"Feel free to do anything," Hamish said. "Seeing something new in my old age is quite refreshing. I remember when-"

Just then a loud buzzing sound interrupted. Aureo was quick to run into a corner where he stowed his stuff. Silencing the alarm. "Sorry. That's my reminder to drink. And eat. I tend to forget otherwise."

Neville gave him a generous chuckle. "It's a good system. I am glad you do take care of yourself. That can't be said for everyone who binds to a Manteriantus Wagon. You do look healthier."

"Thank you." While he could take the compliment as is, Aureo had to give credit where it was due. "I must admit, I needed a rather firm wake-up call provided by Mirela."

"She does care." Hamish Neville gave Aureo's wagon another once over. "I reckon, another month. Then we need to talk about how to proceed. You have taken to this task quite easily and I think we can end your task early. With the full payout, of course. But this doesn't have to be the end of it, Aureo. There are many more Manteriantus Wagons in need of care. When you break with this one, I wouldn't mind commissioning the next one."

Aureo was a little overwhelmed by the news. Just one more month to work on this wagon. Yet there was still so much to do. He had great plans for this wagon. Could he do it? Of course, Mister Neville was right. Technically, the wagon was refurbished. No rust or decay remained. Everything was in working order.

Two options unfolded before him. He could take the money and start a new life. That had been the original plan. But now, he wasn't so sure. There was Mirela. He quite cared about her. Yet they hadn't even started dating yet. Should he make a move? Of course, if he did, he had to stay aboard the train. He might as well accept another Manteriantus Wagon as commission. Yes, more money was tempting, but he also might work faster the second time. Now he knew how his mind could shape material through magic. Maybe he could realize his full vision in the next wagon.

"I will think about it," Aureo promised. He still had time. In a month, he might be more certain. And maybe he managed to finish this wagon after all."


"Come on. Come on," Aureo urged Mirela two weeks later. They were walking through the last cargo wagons before Aureo's.

"Slow down," she urged with an amused smile. "And I swear if you drag me out here just to show me that you change the floor yet again-"

"No. Well, yes, I changed the floor again. I had to see how the parquet looks with redwood lumber," Aureo sheepishly admitted. But quickly added more before Mirela could turn around annoyed. "But that is not why I got you. Besides, I don't think the redwood is working."

"Aureo!" Mirela exclaimed with a sigh. She was half-minded to turn around, but they already had reached his wagon. She might as well take a look.

Not much had changed. If one discounted the floor. The small cabin to the side had grown. She knew Aureo now slept on a small cot in it. She also spied three water bottles. One was empty and another halfway there. She even saw some wrappers that might have belonged to cafeteria sandwiches. Overall, a good sign.

"No. No. Here!" Aureo exclaimed while crouching beside a larger flower pot.

Bemused, Mirela walked over. "I must admit, I expected something more exciting than a pot, Aureo."

"Not the pot. This." He pointed to a small seedling that had pushed through the earth. "I wanted a pot, true. And the wagon made it real. But I haven't gotten around to planting anything yet. But something is already growing, Mirela. Isn't that amazing? Somehow, I created life!"

Mirela stifled an amused chuckle. Sometimes Aureo was just too cute. She crouched down before she enlightened him. "Aureo, what makes this wagon work is magic. You probably heard the sentence 'magic is all around us' before. But you have to understand that magic is everywhere on New Terra. It is all connected. If you wanted a plant to grow here then you didn't need to plant a seed. The magic, guided by your subconscious mind, would find one and make a copy for you. It is as easy as that."

Aureo remained quiet for a moment. Digesting the information presented. Just to burst out: "That is still amazing! You mean I can get any plant I want?"

This time, Mirela couldn't hold back. She chuckled out loud. "Yes, if you know about a plant, then you can will it into existence. It just takes practice to get the right one. Plants are pretty easy compared to other things."

"I always wanted plants," Aureo confessed while sitting down on the floor. "I grew up in a small house in the older narrower parts of New Boston. We didn't get much sunshine. So, every houseplant we tried didn't last long. Moving out, my apartment wasn't much better. And at work, I spend most of my time underground."

Mirela reached over. "Well, now you can have any plant you want," she assured him. She laughed. "As soon as you change the floor again. The redwood really clashes with your walls."

Aureo gave a chuckle in return. "I'll see to it."

Mirela stood up. "Sorry, I need to get going. The next show starts soon."

"I understand."

"One last piece of advice." She waited until she got his undivided attention again. "You might want to add some chairs or so. Sitting on the floor gets old pretty quick."

"Yes, Madam. As you wish."


Fascinated, Aureo watched another seedling that had broken ground. This was the eleventh pot he had conjured out of thin air. A feat that still amazed him. In a few more weeks, the wagon's floor might become crowded. Maybe then, he should add a proper second or even third floor.

Despite him being preoccupied with his plants, Aureo knew Mister Neville was about to enter. In a way, the connection between him and the wagon flowed both ways. He felt the wind flow over the roof and sides of the wagon. Felt the rail under the wheels. It was a new feeling. A strange one. Yet oddly right. If someone would ask him to describe it, Aureo would have despaired. There were simply no words to describe it adequately. At least, with his vocabulary.

Aureo turned around just as Mister Neville entered. Standing up straight, proud even, he walked over to his visitor. "Mister Neville, a pleasure to welcome you to my wagon. Are you here to check up on me."

"Aureo, please. You can call me Hamish." The supposed owner of the train looked around. He appeared to be impressed, yet Aureo still saw evidence of concern there too. "Aureo, we need to talk. A month has passed and it is time."

He had dreaded this day. Part of him wasn't ready to give up this wagon. It grew with each day. But he couldn't avoid this talk forever. Stepping aside, Aureo pointed to two of the new additions to his wagon. Two leather armchairs with a high backrest that could swivel. They were perfect to sit in and watch out of the large windows.

"Very nice," Hamish remarked as he let himself fall into one of them. A content sigh escaped and for a minute, both men enjoyed the view. But it couldn't last. One little sentence threw off the harmony of the situation. "Have you made your decision?"

"Not yet," Aureo admitted. "Do I have to? What is the rush? There are still things I try to accomplish with this wagon. I know. I know. I was only hired to refurbish it. But I have plans. This wagon could be so much more."

"It could be," Neville slowly agreed. As if he was reluctant to do so. "Provided you are willing to pay the price."

Aureo swallowed. Here he had hoped for a payday. A generous one. But if he wanted to fulfill his dreams for this wagon, maybe he had to let them go. Even take on debt. Once again, as always, it came down to money. "How expensive will it be?"

"Expensive? Oh, no. You misunderstood me." Hamish turned his armchair so he could look Aureo into the eyes. "I know Sherin has told you about the bond between a person - their soul - and the Manteriantus Wagon."

"It takes about a year, she said."

"But that is for ordinary people, Aureo. You are gifted. Rarely have I seen one like you. But being gifted is a two-edged sword. That you can influence the wagon to the degree you already did speaks that the bond has further progressed than usual at this time. Aureo, at your current speed, I fear you will have permanently bonded to the wagon before the six months would be up."

A price indeed. All this time Aureo had been proud of how fast he had progressed. The influence he now wielded was intoxicating. Up to now, he had only seen the good side. Now, Neville has revealed that there are drawbacks. And those came due faster than Aureo had anticipated. Yet Aureo still wondered.

"What does it entail? Being bonded permanently, I mean."

Neville gave a resolute nod. The kind one gave when someone else chose a path you predicted. It wasn't judgemental. Just an acknowledgment that one was right.

"You already feel it, don't you? By now the bond is strong enough. You don't want to leave this wagon. For short errands it is fine. But not for long. That will only grow." Neville leaned back. Gave Aureo a moment to digest before throwing even more his way. "You see, we humans grow up in a three-dimensional world. This is what your mind is used to. But our soul- That, Aureo, is a different beast. It is malleable. Can be stretched. It doesn't adhere to the laws of the physical world. One can be bound to a wagon and have their human body a continent away. But our mind, Aureo, does protest. It wants all of its parts close together."

"So, in time, I wouldn't want to leave anymore," Aureo concluded. "I'd be trapped here by my own mind?"

"In the beginning, yes. Which might range from a decade to a few. Maybe even a century. Those bound to a wagon, for them the boundaries melt away. Their human body, the wagon, and everything inside. It all becomes one. It takes time and practice to start separating those again. And even then, it is gradual. The distance they are willing to travel won't be much at the start."

Aureo opened his mouth, but words wouldn't come out. Why would anyone become bound on purpose? To be stuck in one place. Possibly forever. Aureo thought of Caius. The old magician who created Mirela. Had he never left the train since the bonding? Caius had grown old here on this train. That would be Aureo's future too. It was horrible.

Yet, there were parts of him that were intrigued. The Manteriantus Wagon gave as much as it took. Already, Aureo could summon seeds from the farthest reaches of this planet. What else could he do once fully bonded? He could get parts of the world inside his wagon. Whatever he needed.

"It should be a decision." The firm sentence pulled Aureo out of his musings. Neville had steel in his eyes. The normally kind look had vanished. Hamish looked serious. Extruded it. "A bond should never be by accident. Yet it has happened too often. Aureo, if you contemplate this, you have to be sure. There is still time to break your bond. I wouldn't hold it against you. Nor if you felt that you couldn't take on another Manteriantus Wagon."

It was the logical choice to break now, Aureo knew. Take the money and go. Start a new life somewhere. But the alternative was surprisingly tempting. He felt like walking on the edge of a cliff. To his one side was safe ground and he ought to head there. For the longer he balanced on the edge the higher chance there was to fall into the abyss on the other side.

"I need more time," Aureo admitted. "You said there is still some, right? I've only been at it for three and a half months. There's got to be time left. Maybe two weeks or four."

Mister Neville gave a sigh. "That will only make it harder, you know? Okay. Two weeks. But I need you to do something in return."

"Anything," Aureo promised.

"We learned the hard way that someone bonding permanently needs an android by their side. The final stretch can be stressful for the human body. You need someone to take care of you when that time comes." Neville reached over to give a reassuring squeeze of the shoulder. "If the time comes. But an android has to be taught first. That's why I want you to head to wagon six today or tomorrow. Sherin will wait there and help you decide between one of those we have stored. That is important, Aureo. Do not put it off."

"I will go there later," Aureo promised, but then reconsidered. Lately, he hadn't been that good at remembering things. Not on time at least. Working on the wagon was too interesting. "No, I better go now."

"Good. I shall escort you then." Hamish Neville gave out a fatherly chuckle. "Least you get lost and wander off."


They parted ways at wagon six. Aureo hesitated before the door. He had never been inside of wagon six. Gone through it, sure. Every wagon had some passageway leading from one end to another. But the proper interior had been closed off as far as he remembered. The whole wagon looked sturdy. As if it was a small fortress. The door he now stood before wouldn't have looked wrong on a submarine or warship.

Just as he raised his hand to knock, the door opened by itself. Instinctively, Aureo stepped back to let through who was exiting, but no one appeared. A little spooked, it took Aureo a moment to actually peek inside.

It could have been from a horror movie. In the dim light, he saw bodies stacked on tall shelves that spanned the three floors of the wagon. He recognized them as androids. Some were more convincing as humans than others. It still was eerie.

Slowly, Aureo stepped inside. Making his way further in, he saw workstations and machinery lining the walls. Probably to service the androids. Aureo was no stranger to workshops, but most tools here looked sophisticated and beyond the usual scope. Certainly on a higher technological standard than was available in the East American Commonwealth.

Of the many androids, one looked familiar. Sherin sat in a chair at the far end of the wagon. However, she didn't move. Starring blank-eyed into empty space without blinking. Had she been deactivated? Maybe she was here for maintenance.

Relaxing slightly, Aureo looked around. "Hello? Anybody here?"

"There you are!" Aureo jumped in place and then turned to see Sherin right there. Electronic clipboard in hand and definitely not sitting in the chair anymore. "Silly, git. Why haven't you turned up the light, Mister Testa? Human eyes aren't used to the dark like an androids. I would have recognized sooner that I hadn't been alone here."

"I-" Confusion and anger battled within Aureo. That stupid android had done it again. He had known she had been here and still, she managed to scare the heck out of him. As his heart started to slow down, reason returned to his thoughts. It probably wouldn't do him good to wring that stupid android's neck. Figuratively or literally. He had to compose himself. "Mister Neville sent me."

"I know. To pick up an android." With a flick of her hand, the lights of the wagon turned bright. "Have your pick. You may choose one."

Now that Aureo could actually see, it wasn't any less eerie. In the dim light, his mind had imagined things where his eyes had failed to provide details. Now, Aureo was stuck in a slaughterhouse for androids with one that terrified him. For every android on the shelf that appeared complete, body parts and components for two more were scattered around.

To hide his nervousness - or just to break the silence - Aureo asked the first thing that came to his mind. "So, every Manteriantus Wagon has a companion android?"

"Everyone. Hamish insists on it. Though some older wagons chose to get additional ones."

Aureo was about to ask what Sherin meant when he remembered Mirela. She had mentioned thinking of getting a new android when Caius passed away. To keep the show going. It was a chilling thought. If he passed away, would his soul stay behind? Caught and shared by the wagon and whatever android he chose? Mirela certainly thought so.

Maybe that's why Mister Neville had sent Aureo to get an android. To get a feel for the permanence. Nothing was forever, but a self-repairing wagon could last a long time. A small eternity. Not for Aureo himself, but for his soul. The question was what that actually meant. In practical terms.

He could ask. Sherin was right there. Evenly returning his gaze. Aureo chickened out. Perhaps, part of him didn't want to understand. Maybe it was better not to know.

Aureo turned away. Overthinking might be bad. Best to stick to the easy stuff. Choosing an android. But which one? Maybe Sherin could shed a light on it. Find out what her maker's reasoning had been for making her a frightful stealthy ninja who liked to scare people out of their wits. Just, maybe, formulated a little more tactfully.

"So-" Aureo let his eyes roam over the androids on the shelves. Trying to act and sound nonchalant. "You are one of those companion androids, right? Part of a Manteriantus Wagon."

Sherin smiled at him. It was a knowing smile. One with the promise that said she knew more than him. It lingered just a little too long. Then, quite clearly and carefully, she said one word: "No."

It stopped Aureo's line of thought and inquiry dead in its tracks. It had been a rhetorical question. Because he had been sure to know the right answer. Now, he was left hanging and quite unsure how to proceed. What vexed him, even more, was that Aureo could swear there had been more to this simple "no". As if she had snuck by a whole elephant of hidden meaning behind his back.

In the following awkward silence, Aureo turned around again. Inspecting all the available androids. They appeared to be in various stages of sophistication and human mimicry. None of them came even close to Mirela in lifelikeness. Not even to Sherin who clearly read as an android. Some were all-metal, while others sported plastics and composite materials. A few had, what Aureo might think of as, cheap fake skin. More for the giving the sense of something soft than passing as real.

"Which one would you recommend?" Aureo asked in the hopes of getting a point to start with.

"They are all equally suited for your needs," Sherin said. And just as Aureo thought this cryptic answer was all he got, she had to add something more. "In the long run."

Maybe Aureo had asked the wrong question. He tried again. "I mean, their programming has to be different, right? Is there any of these better suited to - for example - taking care of plants?"

"None of these have any software installed. Not even firmware." Expecting no elaboration, Aureo opened his mouth but was cut as she added more. "Just place the one of your choosing inside your bound wagon. In time, the wagon will treat it as an extension of itself. This means it can be manipulated and changed like any other object belonging to the wagon. In other words, by you."

"I just think about what I want it to be and it will become it?" Aureo asked. Only seconds later he remembered. Mirela had said as much, didn't she? That Caius had found her as scrap. All metal and lose wires. That he had remade her to his liking. How else than by the means of the Manteriantus Wagon could Caius manage this feat? Mirela even had said that the basis of her personality was set by him a long time ago.

"To put it simply, yes," Sherin confirmed. "However, selecting an android physically closer to the desired outcome can shorten the required time."

Time. Aureo wasn't sure he wanted less of it. Mirela came to his mind again. He wanted to be with her. Not replace Mirela with someone else. That ruled out any even vaguely female android. Aureo reckoned the temptation of his subconscious mind would be too much.

A male android? Aureo thought about it. What could he do with that? His first instinct was to go for a fatherly figure. Like Mister Neville. But what was a fatherly figure without years of experience to draw from? Not to mention that he might create - purely by accident - a caricature of the train owner.

A friend? Aureo didn't even know what kind of friend he wanted or needed. And what then? Drink beer and gossip all day. Stuck inside the wagon. Never going out. Aureo couldn't envision it.

Maybe a butler. The android was supposed to take care of Aureo when he needed it most. But Aureo dismissed the notion immediately. What would Mirela think if he got another android for a clearly subservient role? Not a good sign for any future relationship. Not to mention it might upset the Order Of The English Butlers. One of those Pop-Religions that New Terra had fostered. Based on popular culture from old Earth. Aureo could never understand it.

"That one," Aureo decided. Pointing to an android without distinguishing features. It hadn't any features suggesting male or female traits. It was metal and bare bones. Not even a face. The two sensors on its head could barely count as eyes. It would take time to mold it into anything resembling a human-like android. This made it perfect for Aureo.

"A blank slate," Sherin commented. "Harder, but more rewarding in the end."

Aureo chose to not reply. Instead, he looked forward to returning to his wagon. He just had to figure out how to move that lump of metal back there. They really could have included basic programming in his opinion. Then it could have walked there by itself.


Aureo sighed at the view. Currently, the Neville Express snaked along the Pacific coastline. Giving him a fantastic view of an ocean discolored by sunset. It was magical. Now and then, he grabbed for the sandwich he got from the cafeteria or the tea, which was cold by now. Not that he minded.

Even if he closed his eyes, Aureo felt harmony. Maybe it was the sweet scent of the flowers around him. They had blossomed the day before. Since then, the feel of the whole wagon has changed. Subtle, but noticeable.

A lazy smile grew on his face as Mirela neared. Not only could he feel her coming close to his wagon, but he could open the automatic door for her. With just a thought. It amazed Aureo. The wagon and him really became one.

"Taking a break?" Mirela asked as she entered.

Aureo waited with his answer until Mirela had taken the seat beside him. "How could I not?" He gestured to the magnificent sunset beyond the panoramic windows. "That's the life, Mirela. I finally feel at peace."

"It sounds like you have made up your mind."

"I do. I will- Hey!" No wonder Mirela's voice had sounded stuffed. She had taken a bite of his sandwich. Probably even two. "Aren't you always telling me I should regain a few pounds? How am I supposed to do that if you snatch away my food?"

Yes, androids ate. At least sophisticated ones like Mirela. Not that she needed to. It was purely for pleasure. Aureo doubted his own android could do it. It had not even a mouth.

"I thought you were finished," Mirela replied after swallowing. And taking a sip of his tea. "Urg, it is cold."

Aureo just gave her an amused look that said it was her own fault for stealing his food and drink. But he didn't voice it. Maybe they had skipped all that dating stuff. Mirela's behavior had the familiarity he always expected a wife would have. Someone who knew him and wasn't shy about being herself around him.

"Yes," Aureo confirmed the earlier topic. "I have decided to stay. To bond to this wagon. I was hesitant, you know. Being stuck in one place - probably for a long time - scared me. But now that I had time to think about it, it might not be so bad. I mean, the Neville Express is always traveling. I only got the same view through these windows if we stopped at a station for a day or two. There is always something new to see. Whatever I want from the outside, I can try to recreate it here. And some of the things I always wanted are already close to me."

Mirela's hand, as she reached over, was warm and soft. Just like a human's hand. If she hadn't spilled the beans, he would have never guessed. So what was the difference really? Aureo didn't care anymore. He just enjoyed the moment as they both shared the breathtaking view.

When darkness settled in, Aureo turned around. "Do you have to go soon? Taking care of Caius?"

"No. He's asleep." She suddenly looked around his wagon. "Speaking of companions, didn't Hamish assign you an android? Where is it?"

Aureo awkwardly pointed to a small little closet that extended from his cabin. "In there."

"Aureo!" She slapped his arm. Lightly, but not playfully. "Let's take a look."

"Wait!" But to his horror, she was already up and about. "Let me explain."

Mirela opened the door and stared at the featureless android stowed in a custom cradle. When Aureo stepped beside her, she asked: "What have you done with it so far?"

Aureo gave an awkward shrug. Maybe it wasn't best to treat a fellow android like this. He hoped he hadn't offended Mirela. "Not much,
yet. Built this closet. It's temporary. I'll build it something better and- Ouch!"

This time, Mirela slapped the back of his head. Not lightly either. It had actually hurt. "Aureo! You stubborn-" Mirela took a deep breath. "You just told me you decided to make the bond permanent, yes? Then you need to teach it. It can't learn in a closet. And especially if you don't spend any time on it."

Aureo rubbed the back of his head longer than was strictly necessary or common. "I don't know what to do with it."

Mirela took a deep breath. Ready to chide him once again. But she stopped mid-movement. Then let her breath out and looked around. "One job. A task." She turned back to Aureo. "Choose one simple thing it could do around here. Then, try to teach it. The rest will come naturally."

"I'm not sure that's-" Aureo stopped mid-sentence. Mirela started to look angry again. And human or android, one did best to not make a woman angry. Especially by being stubborn. "I'll try. Promise."

"You do that!" Then her features softened. "Get some sleep. Start fresh tomorrow."

He gave a nod and then, they said their goodbyes for the night.


Aureo dabbed away the last crumbs of scrambled eggs from his mouth with a napkin. With his breakfast done, Aureo leaned back and turned his armchair to look at the occupant of the other one. It didn't stare back. In fact, it didn't do anything. His companion was as devoid of programming as it had started out.

A task, Mirela had said. He had to find a task for it. There wasn't much to do in his wagon. More and more, it looked like a greenhouse on wheels. His only task, aside from meditating new things into existence, was to take care of his plants.

"Watering my plants!" Aureo exclaimed. "That's what you can do."

Of course, the android didn't answer. Neither did it react in any other way. Aureo broke the task into smaller steps. Get water. Check the plant's soil. Water those that needed it. Wait. Repeat. No, Aureo admitted he had to get into even more detail. The first step was to make the android stand up.

Aureo took a seat in one of the comfortable armchairs and closed his eyes. Trying to concentrate on one task alone. He knew it would take time, but he couldn't help now and then to just take a peek and see if the android did anything. Nothing.

Maybe two hours in, Aureo jumped out of his seat in shock as a large thud scared the hell out of him. Just a few meters further laid the android. Now, with its legs extended. Clearly, it had stood up. Only to immediately lose balance and fall over.

"That will take some time," Aureo murmured to himself while scratching his head.

But Aureo was no quitter. At sunset, his precious wood flooring had nine more deep scratches on its paneling. Testaments to the times he managed to get the android up, but not from staying so.


"That's a unique form of artistic expression," Mirela commented as she took a look at the one place in Aureo's wagon that was marred by dents and scratches on the floor.

He gave her a glare. Not amused by her attempt at humor. "It's that damn android. I can't get it to stand up properly. It always keels over. What you see there is just today's evidence. Each night I repair the floor of the past failures."

"So, your problem is to get it to stand upright?" Even if Mirela's question hadn't been rhetorical, Aureo wouldn't have answered. However, the next question surprised him. "Aureo, tell me, what prevents you from falling over?"

Aureo thought it over. "Well, I know how to keep myself balanced on an instinctual level." As Mirela only looked at him expectantly, he knew there was more to it. "Well, I think we humans have something in our ear or so. It tells us if we are off-balance or not."

"Would you be surprised if I tell you that androids have a sensor for that too?"

Aureo gave her a look that said "I am not stupid.", but instead he said: "Of course, they have. But that thing is not using it."

"Because it doesn't know how," Mirela said. "Think about it. Right now, it has no programming, right? If you tell it to stand up, you probably imagine the motions it has to go through. Which limbs move when. But at no point you access any of its sensors. Hence, it falls over."

Aureo scratched his chin. Only to stop annoyed, as there wasn't just stubble in the way, but a full beard. When did he shave last? Too long ago, he decided. "So, I should first learn to access its sensors?"

"That would be a good first step, yes."

"Alright. I'll give it a try. Right after-" Aureo scratched his head. There was something he meant to do first, but it already slipped his mind. Looking around, he spotted his lunch. "Right after grabbing a bite to eat."

"You do that," Mirela said. "See you later."

Waving after Mirela, Aureo grabbed his lunch and sat down in his favorite armchair. Lost in thought, Aureo barely tasted anything as he chewed on a sandwich baguette that had been intended for breakfast.

How does someone access a sensor of an android? Especially something less obvious like one dedicated to balance. Could he even do it? His mind drifted over to the wagon in general. There was a connection, he knew. Aureo could feel the wind drifting over the exterior. Felt the tension that rested on it as it was pulled and had to pull hundreds of wagons behind. But Aureo hadn't worked on these extra senses. They just appeared after a while. He doubted waiting until he experienced the same with the android was a viable choice.

Maybe he should go for something easy. One of the primary senses: vision and sound. The second one he ruled out quickly. There wasn't much to hear in the wagon. The plants didn't make noise. Only Aureo's chewing of dried-out bread broke the silence. Once he started meditating, that too would fade away. What would be left was the constant background noise of the wagon traveling on the rails. The faint squeak and squeal of the coupling to the next wagons. Most often, Aureo didn't even register it anymore. But that wasn't why he dismissed sound as a first step. How was he to differentiate between what he heard and what the android heard?

Vision was the obvious choice. Aureo would know when he was successful. The android clearly would have a different perspective. Gobbling down the last pieces of sandwich, Aureo got ready to give it a try.

At first, nothing happened. Of course, by now, Aureo knew that new things to try always took a while. Not letting himself get discouraged, he pushed on. At last, something flickered. A sudden view. He could see himself sitting on the armchair with closed eyes. Took in the rest of the wagon from a new perspective. After a moment, he even got the android's head to move around just like his own. But something wasn't right. Maybe the optical sensors of the android were defective or malfunctioning. The world looked dim through the robot's eyes. As if it couldn't process the available light enough. Maybe the android had fallen over one too many times. Whatever it was, Aureo knew he could fix it. Later.

Aureo slowly pushed the visual of the android away. Instead, opening his own eyes. What greeted him was a dim view. The wagon in twilight. Had he somehow pulled the defect from the android to his own body? The beeping of his alarm drew Aureo's attention. Right, he needed to eat. His stomach already growled angrily. Getting up to silence the alarm had Aureo pause and sway for a moment. For a moment, his blood pressure didn't play nice and he saw stars. He had definitely spent too long in the chair without movement.

But stepping to the alarm brought the next concerning surprise. Aureo could see it had beeped for a while. Over three hours. And he hadn't noticed. Looking out, he saw the last traces of the sun sinking below the horizon. No wonder it was getting dark in the wagon. The android's eyes hadn't been defective. Aureo simply had lost track of time again. Worse, this time he hadn't even reacted to the alarm. Too concentrated on shifting his perspective to the android. Aureo knew there might be danger there. If he couldn't rely on his current system to remind him of his basic needs, then he needed something else.

Shaking his head, Aureo made for the cafeteria wagon. Maybe with some new food in his stomach, he could come up with an idea.


It's been a busy day for Aureo. Looking through the eyes of the android had become easier. So much, that he had tried steering it from the inside. It was slow progress. There was still no sense of internal balance for that stupid thing. But from the android's point of view, Aureo could at least steer a little and blunt each fall. Of those, there were many. But he got better. By lunch, Aureo had managed to keep the android upright for a whole ten minutes.

Of course, not soon later, he got a whole new distraction. It was confusing at first. Suddenly, the android's view didn't make sense anymore. Colors were everywhere and they didn't conform to the physical shapes around them. Only careful consideration and experimentation revealed the true cause. Somehow, Aureo had switched to the magnetic spectrum.

In hindsight, it was logical that an android wouldn't be just limited to the normal human range of sight. Less confusing and more fun was the thermal view. It was in this mode that Aureo was surprised by his visitor. Aureo couldn't really interpret who it was by the thermal footprint alone, but it looked off to him. Then again, Aureo hadn't a lot of experience in that regard.

Switching into the normal mode revealed Mister Neville, who patiently waited at the entrance. Aureo would have sighed, but the android couldn't do that. It did not just lack a mouth, but also any form of a loudspeaker. Aureo took the time to sit down the android before shifting his mind's focus back to his real body.

Aureo stood up slowly. Blood rushed back into extremities barely used in the last few hours. This time, he was prepared for it. Only then, he turned to his guest.

"Mister Neville. Welcome. Have a seat, please."

"Hamish, Aureo. You can call me Hamish," the older man admonished while walking over. "I see you make progress with the android."

Aureo gave a chuckle. "The floor of my wagon begs to differ." The evidence was clearly carved and pounded into the floorboards.

"Then it is a good thing it is self-repairing, right?" But Neville sobered up fast. "Here we are again. No more delays, Aureo. I need an answer now."

Aureo swallowed hard. The average person doesn't have a lot of points in their lives when a decision changes things irrevocably. Aureo didn't have a lot so far. One had been his choice of job to pursue and the other which company to work for. Everything else had kind of snowballed until he was here. And this decision felt heavier than those before.

"I'll stay," Aureo finally said. He had thought about it a lot. By now, he couldn't imagine leaving the train anymore. Not as a real alternative. But there was more. "I've made up my mind to bond with this wagon."

Hamish gave a nod. One that wasn't really needed and only done for expectation's sake. "I guess it was inevitable. You took to the Manteriantus Wagon as a fish takes to water. Can't fault you for that."

"What happens now?" Aureo asked. He had made up his mind, but there were things he still dreaded. "Do I have to pay for this wagon?"

Hamish gave a heartfelt laugh. "Oh, no. Aureo, this wagon isn't just yours. It shares your soul. I can't own or demand anything for something that has a soul in it. That would be slavery."

"I guess so." Internally, Aureo let out a deep sigh of relief. The worries of the last few days ebbed away. He had thought Mister Neville was a decent sort of guy, but still, his mind had conjured up the worst possibility.

"It's like this," Hamish continued. "You travel with this train as long as you like. If you want to switch trains, that is up to you. I can't pay you any more for your regular work. For the foreseeable future, you'll be kind of stuck in your own wagon. That just comes with the territory. But if you prep up your wagon to fulfill a function within this train, you get a share of the profits. Which isn't exciting as it sounds. Sure, we earn quite a penny, but owners of a Manteriantus Wagon don't really have a use for it. Most donate it to charity."

"I see." Aureo mulled it over in his mind. Hamish was nearly speaking as if he too was bound to a wagon. "Are you one of them? An owner of a Manteriantus Wagon."

Hamish gave another laugh. "That is the wrong question, Aureo. But, no. I am not bound to a Manteriantus Wagon."

Well, that was a more cryptic answer than he had expected. He shelved the topic for now. Another question was more urgent. "What function would be needed for the train that my wagon could fulfill?" Aureo certainly hoped it wasn't something that would have him get rid of his plants or the large windows. He was quite fond of them.

The older gentleman gave a look around. "I don't see what is wrong with your current approach. Slap a few more seats in here and have some more plants. Have people just enjoy the view. It could be a little oasis of peace and tranquillity for guests and train personnel alike."

"Really?" Aureo's face lit up with joy. New ideas sprang forth. What plants or flowers to get. How to incorporate a second and third floor. "That sounds fantastic."

Mister Neville stood up and put a hand on Aureo's shoulder. "Now, don't rush yourself. You can take your time. It is best to pace yourself." He knocked on the closest window. "Remember, your human body is not nearly as resilient as a Manteriantus Wagon. It is easy to forget this simple fact. But you must not."

"I will," Aureo promised.

"Then I'll leave you to it." Hamish gave a nod and walked off. Leaving an eager Aureo behind who couldn't wait to get started.


Aureo's soup had gotten cold. For once, it had nothing to do with being preoccupied with his wagon. Or the android. It was the magnificent view outside that had done him in. New Terra certainly was a beautiful planet. Around New Boston, Aureo had never really witnessed it. The city had devoured the natural landscape like an unnatural beast. But most of New Terra was still unclaimed and untamed land. Despite the roughly ten billion people living on it.

"You might want to eat that before the sun dries it out into a paste," Mirela commented as she sat down beside Aureo. Startling him at the same time.

"What? Oh!" Aureo took a spoonful, only to wince. Maybe he should go into his small room and reheat it. This soup was definitely not enjoyable cold. "Got lost in the view. Have you seen those cliffs? That canyon was huge!"

"That's why they call it the Grandest Canyon," Mirela offered. "A little over the top in the naming department, but what can you do if the original on old Earth had already been called Grand Canyon."

"At least they didn't slap a 'new' before it like with every second town," Aureo remarked and drew a chuckle out of it from Mirela. "What brings you here?"

"Can't I check in on a friend?"

"Well, I made tons of progress," Aureo exclaimed. Jumping to his feet. Swaying only lightly and hoping Mirela wouldn't notice. "Lots more plants. Look! I even got that new rare breed of Japanese Spider Orchids I had told you about. And half of the second-floor platform is finished. Yes, I will keep most of it open. That way I can have larger plants here. Maybe even a small tree or two. I could also have some ivy climbing the walls and-"

Aureo stopped as Mirela was chuckling. "What?"

Mirela gave him a look. "I came here to check on you. Not your progress."

"I am fine," Aureo exclaimed, a little peeved. He was a grown adult. Not a little child needing supervision. Then again, he had been slipping lately. "I am eating enough and drinking regularly." Noticing Mirela's glance at the soup, he quickly added: "Maybe it is not always warm by the time I finish, but I always eat up."

"Alright. Alright." Mirela held up her hands to calm Aureo down. "Just needling a bit. Someone needs to keep you in check. At least, until you get your android going."

Aureo scratched his head. "Yeah-"

"Aureo, you need to get your android working," Mirela admonished him with a tone of voice that reminded Aureo too much of his third-grade teacher, Miss Leraby.

"I am working on it!" Then, calmer, he continued. "I am splitting my time. From dawn to noon I work on the wagon and from noon to evening, I try making the android work. It is just that changing the wagon comes more naturally to me."

"Well, you know, if you hadn't gotten such a basic model, you might have been further along." Then Mirela said what Aureo feared the most. "Can I see?"

"There isn't much to see," he said to downplay it a little. Trying to lower Mirela's expectations. Or even discourage her. But he knew her well enough to walk her to the small cabinet that housed the android and open it.

Mirela stated the obvious. "It has a mouth now."

"And a loudspeaker inside," Aureo added. "Though speaking through it is still kind of awkward. And I haven't gotten it to do anything by itself yet."

"That comes in time," Mirela assured him. "Keep remotely controlling it and the rest will come naturally."

She then took a step back and eyed the android critically. Making Aureo sweat with nervosity. Then she remarked on what he had feared the most. "The proportions are off. I think they have changed slightly. The waist is definitely slimmer. Kind of more female looking."

Aureo had noticed it too and had hoped Mirela wouldn't have. He still wanted a relationship with her. Despite being a chicken about it and never outright asking her out. And now this. Yes, his subconscious mind had started to shape the android into a woman. Right now, it was the barest hint. But what about in a week or a month? Maybe Mirela would think he'd replace her. Not that she was his, to begin with. But that he stopped pursuing her in favor of building someone for himself.

"Well- You see- It isn't like- That I-"

"Cool!" That one word stopped Aureo's ramblings short. "I wouldn't mind having a new bestie to hang out with."

Aureo nearly sank to the floor with relief. He felt as if the last ten seconds each had drained a year of his life. Were his knees always this weak? They felt kind of wobbly.

"Say, what made you go for a woman?"

A sentence later and Aureo was put on the spot again. Was Mirela doing it on purpose? "I don't know. Honestly. I wasn't trying to make it female. Well, maybe-"

"What?" Mirela slapped his arm playfully. "Come on. Don't hold out on me."

"Fine!" Just to gather his thoughts, Aureo walked back to the armchairs and let himself fall into one. "I told you that I grew up in New Boston, right?"

"And that you tried and failed to grow plans," Mirela confirmed.

"Well, there was one place where the narrow streets opened up and let sunshine fall through. Misses Brady's Bakery." A wistful smile came to Aureo. "When I was very young, my mother sometimes asked Misses Brady to look after me for a few hours. So, I hung around the bakery and did stuff. Sometimes even homework."

Aureo paused. Lost in the memory. "She had plants. Lots of them. A real oasis of green in a city built in grey. And in between customers, she always took care of her plants. Maybe watering them. Other times singing. And if not that, at least humming. I kind of envied her."

"I see." Mirela leaned back in her own chair. "Now you have plants of your own, your mind sort of thinks they need a Misses Brady to take care of them."

Aureo shrugged. "That is the best theory I can come up with."

Mirela stood up. "I think that is kind of sweet." She surprised him by leaning over and giving him a kiss on his cheek. "Thank you for sharing this with me. But I need to go now."

"I understand," Aureo said while standing up. Waving after Mirela until she was gone. Only then he lightly touched the spot Mirela had kissed him on.

With new resolve and a spring in his step, Aureo walked back to the android's closet. "Are you ready?" he asked the occupant. "Because if Mirela wants a new best friend, we have work laid out before us."


Aureo only noticed the train moving again by looking out of the window. There was no jerk or any other indication. It still surprised him. He was also glad. Right now, he was remotely steering the android again. While he had gotten a lot better, he doubted sudden changes in movement would keep him upright.

It was about time the train got going again too. For the last four days, they had stopped in Nouveau Orleans. And while the city at the mouth of the river Mississippi was a sight, Aureo preferred the untamed wilds he usually saw through his huge panoramic windows.

Aureo was watering his plants when a young voice spoke up behind him. "Excuse me?"

Aureo made the android turn around. Before it stood a small girl. She wasn't his first visitor since Mister Neville had Aureo's wagon towed into the middle of the train. But she was the youngest by far. Normally, Aureo didn't do well with children. But now, he was determined to make a difference. The android would eventually learn from his behavior and Aureo was sure Mirela would prefer a best friend that got along with children.

Now Aureo had to figure out how to interact with a small child. What would Misses Brady do? She would kneel down so she would have eye contact with the child and then speak softly. Aureo mimicked it as best as he could in an android body.

"Yes? What can I do for you?"

"Are you a robot?" the girl blurted out in an unabashed way only small children could.

"I am," Aureo confirmed. Well, he wasn't really, but right now, he steered one. So, it was a white lie he could live with. "A humanoid robot. Do you know what they are called?" The girl shook her head. "They are called androids."

"What does an android do?" the girl wanted to know next.

"That depends from android to android." Aureo could see that the answer wasn't what the girl hoped for. Or maybe just too abstract for a young mind. "This android takes care of the plants around here. For example, I water them so they grow strong and beautiful."

"Can you tell me about them?"

"Of course, I can." Aureo led the girl to a display of colorful flowers. "These are all native flowers from Panama. To be specific, from the northern part. They are called orchids. Aren't they beautiful?"

"Yes, they are!" the girl exclaimed. But her attention was already drawn in by the next flower. "Why is that one caged?"

Aureo chuckled. It sounded slightly wrong from an android body, but the girl didn't seem to mind. Aureo walked towards a pale bluish-white flower that was growing under a glass dome and motioned for the girl to follow. "This is a rare flower growing in the Himalayas. I can't pronounce the original name, but it translates to Frozen Tears. You see, they grow where it is very high up in the mountains and where it is icy cold. So, under this glass, it is cold too. That's how they like it."

The girls made Oh's and Ah's, but Aureo had no doubt half of the explanation went over the little girl's head. Still, the young girl looked at the flower from all angles until something new caught her eye. "Is that one magic?"

"Oh, definitely!" Aureo assured her. He led her to a small planter that housed a yellowish fern that one might mistake for a sculpture made out of gold if it wouldn't gently bob up and down. It had a slight glow to it and now and then a small shower of sparkles shook off and rained down. Only to vanish into thin air. "That's Irish Golden Fern. It is so much magic that the Fae consider it holy and it is their official plant. It is on all their banners and flags. They are very proud of it."

"It is very pretty," the girl decided. Instead of skipping to the next interesting flower, she turned towards Aureo in his android body. "I am Ariadne. What's your name?"

"My name is- " Aureo broke off. He couldn't exactly introduce himself as Aureo. "Well, I am afraid I don't have one yet."

"But everyone needs a name!" The girl looked adamant about it.

"Well, maybe you have a suggestion?" Aureo asked. "What do you think I should be called?"

"I had a friend called Kalli in kindergarten," Ariadne volunteered. "She liked plants too. I haven't seen her in a while. We moved away, you know? She was funny. Always made strange faces when her mother called her Kalliope. It's like a long name of Kalli."

"Hmm. Kalliope isn't that bad," Aureo mused.

"No, Kalli!"

"Okay. Okay. Kalli," Aureo agreed.

"What's his name?" The girl pointed at Aureo's body sitting slumped over in an armchair.

"That's Aureo."

"That's a strange name. Does he like flowers too? Why doesn't he move? Is he dead?"

Hearing Ariadne ramble on was a small rollercoaster ride for Aureo. His name wasn't that strange. Right? And then the other questions hit him before he was ready.

"What? No, he is not dead. He's just- Napping. You see he loves plants so much that he spends all his time here. And when he gets tired, he just takes a nap here."

"That's weird," the little girl decreed.

But before Aureo could comment on it, a shout rang through the wagon. "Ari? Ari, where are you?"

"I'm here, Mama!" the child yelled back.

"Ariadne!" The mother stomped close and put her hands on her hips. Someone was in deep trouble. "I told you to not run away like that. Don't you know I worry? You can't just run off when you feel like that."

"It wasn't far," little Ariadne protested. "And Kalli showed me some cool flowers."

The mother sighed and kneeled down. "We have been over this. Kalliope couldn't come with us. She's staying at Nouveau Orleans."

"No, the android." She turned around to the newly christened Kalli. "It was android, right?"

At that moment, Aureo missed the ability to smile. The android had come some way since Aureo got it, but there was still a lot missing. It now clearly had a female shape in a geometric utilitarian style, but it was missing features like a face that could articulate. Maybe Aureo should prioritize this deficit next. But, for now, Aureo had to be satisfied by letting Kalli say: "That is correct, young Miss."

Only now the mother looked at the android. As if it hadn't been part of the discussion, to begin with. Aureo's first reaction was to call it rude. but thought better of it. The mother didn't know that behind Kalli was a soul and a human mind. To her, the android was as much an appliance like a dishwasher or monitor.

The mother turned back to her daughter. "I am sure it has better things to do."

Aureo felt the need to step it. "Not at all. I cherish the opportunity to educate young and eager minds."

The mother was taken aback. Maybe it has been a mistake on Aureo's part to respond as if the android was a person. Not everyone was open to new things. Some parts they traveled through were used to even less technology than Aureo and others born in the East American Commonwealth.

"Come," she said to her daughter. "We have to unpack in our suite before we can explore the train."

Ariadne turned around a last time to the android now named Kalli. "Can I come back?"

"Sure," Aureo assured her. Yet he felt the need to add a bit. "But only if your mother says so. I bet if you behave and do as you are told, then your next visit could be a reward."

Bemused, the mother didn't comment. Just dragging her child out of the wagon and Aureo's reach. Aureo wondered if he could have handled this situation better. He should ask Mirela next time she comes around.

Kalli. Short for Kalliope. Not a name Aureo would have chosen if he was honest. Not that it was bad. Just unusual. Might be of Greek origin, he thought. There weren't many Greeks in New Boston. He wasn't sure yet if he'd keep it for her, the android. Something else to ask Mirela. She might know.

A soft alarm alerted Aureo. It was time for lunch. Stashing Kalli in her closet, Aureo returned his consciousness to his own body. For the first time in hours, he stood up. Yes, his body was hungry. He hadn't noticed while piloting Kalli. And it felt fatigued despite doing nothing all day. Maybe he should work out a little more. Or at all.

But not now. As always, Aureo didn't feel like going to the cafeteria. He hadn't been there in a while. Or anywhere else on the train. Aureo knew what it was. Mirela and Hamish had warned him about it. He and his wagon had become inseparable. At least, for the foreseeable future. As such, a heated-up can in his small cabin had to do. And while at it, Aureo made plans.


It took some time until Mirela came around again. Shortly after their shared moment - and a sweet received kiss - Caius had banged his hip. Mirela was righteously worried because the stage magician was quite old. Now she doted on Caius all the time. Not that Aureo could fault her for it. She shared a soul with Caius. Just like he did with Kalli.

His android showed the first signs of autonomy. Now and then walking around woodenly and watering the plants. Aureo often had to step in. The fragile barebone hint of an A.I. couldn't yet decide which plant actually needed watering. There was still a lot to do before Kalli was truly his equal.

Not that Aureo minded working on Kalli anymore. He had tried visiting Mirela. She was just a few wagons down-train. But each try ended all too soon. Just a step out of his wagon filled Aureo with a feeling of unease. It grew with each step proportionally. He had yet to manage the fifth step. Always giving up before and hurrying back to his wagon.

It left him stranded in his wagon. Aureo knew it would be happening. He had been warned about it by Hamish and Mirela. It also gave him a new appreciation for Mirela. She had traveled all the way down-train when Aureo's wagon had been still situated at the end of the train. That was quite the distance. No wonder her visits had always been short. Just being there with him for a few minutes must have cost her an enormous amount of willpower.

The absence of Mirela was filled by others. Now that Aureo's wagon was situated in the middle of the train, he got a lot more visitors. Of course, employees of the train needed to pass through his wagon a lot. They usually didn't stay to enjoy the amenities. Not like the guests of the train did. His little wagon became quite popular. Often the two dozen armchairs on three levels were taken up by visitors. More often than not, Aureo stayed in his cabin to not take up space. That didn't mean he wasn't up and about. Through the eyes of Kalli, he took part in the activities of his wagon and interacted with guests.

It was after such an interaction, that Mirela surprised him. "I hear you go by Kalli now."

Aureo had Kalli twirl around and give Mirela a bright smile. It still felt a little wooden, but at least he had managed to give her a face that could be animated.

"It sort of happened," Aureo explained. "A little girl thought it was a fitting name. And people asked by what name I go by before I came up with a better name. It stuck."

Mirela leaned over and spoke in a hushed, but mirthful voice. "That's fine. It's practically tradition that we androids get named by someone else."

We androids. Those words bounced around within Aureo's head. Was Mirela already seeing Kalli as an independent person from Aureo? There was still a long way to go. It was still Aureo animating Kalli and instructing every action or word coming over her lips. Should he correct her? Maybe Mirela had done so on purpose. The end goal was to have Kalli as an independent person. And for Kalli to learn that she had to be addressed as such. That meant Aureo had to play along, right?

For now, Aureo decided to play along. "Can I ask you who named you?"

"Of course." Mirela beamed. "Actually. I sort of named myself. Kinda. Caius was having trouble deciding. So many names to choose from. In the end, he placed all the names on a large spinning wheel, blindfolded me, and had me throw a knife at it. Whatever name I hit would be it."

"And it landed on Mirela," Kalli dutifully concluded to play her part.

"Well- You remember that my body was a scrapyard rescue? Well, my movements were still kind of jerky. Being rather barebone at that time. I missed by a mile and impaled the portrait of the late actress Mirela Catargiu with my knife."

"Wish I could have seen it," Kalli admitted after a shared laugh. "How is Caius by the way?"

"Grumpy. Complaining over every little help I give." Mirela gave a suffering sigh. "As if I couldn't read his memories and know that he was grateful. But the hip is nearly healed. What about Aureo? Where is he at?"

"In the cabin," Kalli admitted. "In the morning and afternoon, it can be quite busy here. He didn't want to take up a seat that a guest might use."

The Aureo within Kalli was bemused. It felt strange to remark about himself in the third person. Then again, it felt a little like playing make pretend. As if he stepped into the role of someone else. Maybe like those in spy movies did.

"Well, don't keep him in there all the time," Mirela remarked with mirth. "He's pale enough and needs a bit of sunshine."

"Maybe," Kalli admitted. "But he gets way more than when he spent his whole day in a cave."

Mirela nodded. "So, how are you doing as Kalli? I noticed some changes to your chassis."

Kalli looked down instinctively. Yes, there had been some changes. She clearly had a female outline now. While still being all metal, some of her chassis had been formed and painted to look like clothing. Making her dressed and naked at the same time. A curious and amusing thought. Aside from her face that could now show expressions, Kalli had hair. Not the best one by a long shot. It was a blob of foam plastic styled and painted like hair. Looking like a goofy wig instead of real hair. Kalli had to remind herself that it was a step in between and not the final product.

"Fine. It feels more natural to control her. To be her. I think I made good progress on getting the right movement and gestures instilled in her."

Mirela quirked an eyebrow. "And how are you doing without Aureo riding shotgun?"

Kalli needed a moment to think about it. Had there been a time lately when she hadn't been controlled by Aureo? He always returned her to her charging and storage cabinet when slipping back into himself. Too worried a half-finished A.I. may lead to accidents. The last thing Aureo wanted was to get anybody hurt.

"I don't really know," Kalli admitted. "There hadn't been time really to test progress."

Mirela crossed her arms. She did not look pleased. "That's an excuse and you know it. Look, the time apart is as important as the time together. And Aureo needs regular exercise. He can't stay in the cabin all day."

Kalli would have swallowed hard if she could have. She didn't possess that ability yet. Even without, Kalli expressed herself being intimidated by taking a step back and lowering her head. Mirela could be scary if she wanted to.

"I'll try to do better," she promised.

"You do that." Then Mirela's expression softened. "Look, we both know that Aureo tends to get lost in things. It is up to us to look after him, right? For his own good."

"Right." Now that Mirela had pointed it out, Kalli had to admit there was some truth to it. Aureo could be obsessive about things. And if he did his health suffered. How much time had he spent as her lately and how much as himself? The answer was too scary to actually put into words.

"I will try to get him out more often," Kalli promised. "Even if I have to take a step back."

Mirela gave her a gentle squeeze on the shoulder. "You do that. Next time I come back, I wanna see Aureo up and about. He better be not just skin and bones."

"Hahaha. Of course, not." Kalli lied. Vowing to get Aureo eating first thing after Mirela left. He really could use a bit more on his ribs.


It was late. The lights in her wagon were dimmed and Kalli could see the full moon up in the night sky. She thought it was Luna Three. A glance at the horizon and she barely made out a new moon there. That would be Luna Two. Making her guess about Luna Three correct. Sometimes she still got the moon phases wrong. Having five of them could get complicated. The people on old Earth had it better she decided. Her ancestors only had to make do with one.

Kalli hurried to do her last chores. Aureo was already in his cabin. He had showered, eaten, and was laying in bed. Still, he had lain awake in his bed unable to fall asleep. So, he had decided to jump into Kalli real quick and make sure the wagon was tidied up and clean. Hoping that this was the reason he had trouble falling asleep.

It was while cleaning the armchairs of the second level of breadcrumbs that Kalli suddenly felt strange. Something was missing. As if she had lost a part of her. She looked around, expecting to see part of her wagon gone, but everything was where it should be. What else was there? Kalli's mind turned towards Aureo and nearly stumbled by the feelings she picked up.

Aureo was dreaming. He had fallen asleep while Kalli was cleaning up. But if Aureo was slumbering, who controlled Kalli now? It couldn't be Aureo. The answer was sobering. Kalli was controlling herself. Not just following some program without Aureo steering her. She was thinking of her own. As if she was her own person.

Kalli knew she should be proud of herself. This is where her journey as an individual would begin. She didn't need Aureo anymore. And yet, she did. Without Aureo, there was a part of her missing. Kalli wasn't sure how to deal with it. She kind of hated being without Aureo. Not that she really was without him. She had his memories and she could feel him in his sleep. They were connected by sharing the same soul. Still, it was not the same.

Freaked out, she hurried to her little alcove. If Aureo could skip the night by sleeping then so could she and powered down.


Kalli hummed as her paintbrush danced over the glass. Swirling lines of watercolor tinted the panoramic window step by step. The motive was, of course, flowers. As if those scattered all through the wagon weren't enough. She didn't paint the whole window. Just framing it at the edge. The panoramic view was one of the main draws for guests to visit their wagon. She knew how tempting it was to stare out the window at the ever-changing landscape outside for hours on end.

"That's pretty."

Turning around, Kalli noticed the commenter was a girl of maybe ten years old. Kids were one of Kalli's favorite groups of visitors. "Thank you." She gave a girl her best smile. It didn't appear one hundred percent natural yet. Mostly because her face wasn't up to the task. Aureo and her had focused a lot of time on improving her body, but changing an androids body could be a hard task. Mirela had explained it to them. Kalli's body was occupied. Her own person identified with it on an instinctual level. To change one's android body ran against the self-image she had of herself. That self-image resisted change. Slowing down whatever progress she or Aureo hoped to achieve.

"I didn't know androids could paint."

Kalli's grin widened. Kids hadn't always learned the finer aspects of social interactions. That often made them blunt, but honest. In her eyes, it often was preferable to how adults treated her. To most of them, she wasn't a person. Just an object. A thing.

"I am a special one," Kalli replied with a wink.

"Mom!" the girl turned around to a woman in her mid-thirties. "Can I have my windows painted at home too?"

A sneer started to appear on the mother's face but was quickly replaced by a smile that looked a bit forced to Kalli. "We'll talk about it at home. Come. Daddy is waiting in the restaurant wagon."

There was a decidedly drawback of being part of a luxury train, Kalli realized early on. Most of their guests tended to be of the social upper crust and leaned towards the snobbish.

Waving after the girl, Kalli decided to take a moment to study the people within her wagon, before going to paint more. A few families drifted through. Nearly all of the armchairs were used by those gazing at the panorama outside. A few used the seats for reading and only occasionally looked up for the view. Which was fine by Kalli. They had placed those armchairs for comfort and they were good at it.

Aureo was nowhere to be seen. But Kalli knew that without looking. Yes, they had separated. She was now her own person. But Aureo still spent a lot of time sharing her body and experience. She knew he liked the shifted perspective Kalli could give him. She herself felt more complete with him augmenting her too. It probably had to do with their soul. They shared it. It was evenly distributed between them and the wagon. But when Aureo shared her body, it felt as if their soul concentrated there. Maybe she should talk to Mirela about this. But for now, Kalli enjoyed that Aureo was with her. And he was. She'd know when not.

Kalli gave a content sigh. It was a peaceful living in this wagon. On this, she was sure Aureo agreed with her. Both of them didn't even mind being limited to just this small space. It had become normal for them.

Turning around, she picked up her paintbrush again. Idly tapping her chin with it. Maybe she should paint the next flower's petals blue. But what shade? She could go for a cornflower-like design or-

A tug of Kalli's skirt interrupted her line of thought. It was a boy who wanted her attention this time. He looked younger than the girl from before. Kalli guessed about five or six years old. With a smile, she crouched down to be at his eye level. "Yes? Can I do something for you?"

The boy pointed away. "It stinks there!" Then dashed away.

Kalli got up and frowned when following where the boy had pointed. It was the small cabin Aureo used. Kalli took a whiff of the air but barely smelled anything. Not surprising, as this sense wasn't really developed yet.

Maybe Aureo had forgotten to take away some food scraps again. Or his last shower had been too long. His conviction of taking care of himself rose and fell like the tides of the ocean. Sometimes he managed better, and other times it got worse. Kalli wasn't much better. It was her job to look after Aureo. Yet, she wasn't much better.

She picked a quiet moment to slip into the cabin. Here, even with her limited sense of smell, she noticed the smell getting stronger. Aureo laid on his cot. Not even noticing it. He looked peaceful with his eyes closed. As if he was sleeping. Kalli would have known if he did. Often getting a sense of his dreams.

By now, Aureo should return to his body and take care of it. She knew he knew, but sometimes he needed a little push. Literally. Shaking his shoulder. "Come on. Get up. You need a shower. And food. You look a bit pale." But strangely not as gaunt as she had seen him the last time.

"I am not joking, Aureo. Get up."

Nothing. Aureo clung to her own body. She knew so from the concentration of her soul. She was getting annoyed, but then a new thought occurred to her. What if he couldn't return? Maybe something prevented it. Shocked, she stumbled back. Fumbling for the intercom behind her. She didn't use it often. Neither did Aureo. Most of what they needed was right here, in their wagon.

"Mirela? Mirela, are you there?"

"I am," Mirela responded a few seconds later. "What's wrong? You sound upset."

"It's Aureo. He won't wake up. I tried shaking him and calling out. I don't know what to do."

"I'll be right there."

Worried, Kalli looked back at Aureo. He still hadn't woken up. Nervously, she fidgetted with her fingers. If the cabin hadn't been so small, she would have paced. Where was Mirela? She should have been here by now. Her wagon wasn't that far away.

A sudden knock on the door made Kalli jump, despite expecting it. She hurried to open the door, but it was not Mirela standing before her. It was Sherin. The right-hand android of Mister Neville.

"Miss Kalli?" Sherin's voice was soft and somber. Kalli had never heard her like that. Neither had Aureo. "Please step out for a moment."

Kalli complied on instinct. Maybe it was better this way. Sherin always appeared so professional. It stood to reason that she knew better what to do.

As Sherin stepped into the cabin, she revealed Mirela, who stood close by. Wordless, she drew Kalli into an embrace. Giving her a tight hug that never seemed to end. She felt like crying, but no tears came. It was a function she simply didn't have but would give the world right now to possess. Every attempt to speak up was gently hushed by Mirela.

"Just wait," her friend whispered. "Hamish will be here soon."

Hamish Neville arrived around five minutes later. For Kalli, it felt like a small eternity. One small look into the cabin, and he walked over to the hugging androids. "Kalli, come sit with me for a minute." He took a seat in one of the armchairs and patiently waited until Kalli let go of Mirela. Taking a seat of her own.

She didn't dare to look him in the eyes. Instead, staring down at her hands. "He is dead, isn't he?"

Hamish's voice was soft. "I'm afraid so. By a few days at least."

"I failed!" She burst out. "It was my job to care for him. To keep him alive."

"No, it was not." Even the gentle rebuke by Hamish left Kalli shocked. "It was Aureo's duty to take care of himself. You? Yes, you were supposed to help. But it was never your job to shoulder that burden alone. Your duty lies elsewhere."

Kalli was quiet. Thinking about his words, they just didn't make sense to her. "Then what was? I don't understand."

"You should remember that I talked about this with Aureo. His memories are yours. There is a reason we pair those becoming soul bound with a Manteriantus Wagon to an android." Hamish turned to the window. Staring out at the landscape. Though Kalli got the feeling he saw none of it. "In the old days when the Manteriantus Wagons were new, we didn't know better. The inventor, Augustus Manteriantus, only thought of it as a means to design custom wagons. Cheap and easy."

"But then, people who were soul-bound to a wagon started dying," Hamish continued on a more somber note. "They were too focused on the creativity they could live out through the wagon that they neglected their own bodies. The Manteriantus Wagon became known as cursed. But it was worse for those poor souls who died. Because they lingered. They had no means of communication except for changing parts of their wagons. Their early attempts led to a widespread conception that the Manteriantus Wagons are haunted. In a way, they were."

"That's why you insist on androids," Kalli concluded.

"We found out by accident," Hamish continued. "Androids were even less common then than they are now. Kalli, humans are fragile. You can take care of them as much as you want, but - at the latest - old age will claim them. But here, their souls endure. Kalli, your job was never to take care of Aureo. Not directly. It was to take care of his soul. Your soul. To give it the means to act in this world."

Kalli sank into deep thoughts as Hamish stopped talking. It made sense. In a way. She wished she had more of a warning, but the more she looked at it, the more she realized that there had been warnings around her all along. Mirela and Hamish had told her and Aureo time and time again to take care and what was to come. Even Sherin had warned Aureo in her own way."

"In a way-" Kalli broke off to formulate her thoughts some more. "It's like reincarnation. Me taking over for Aureo. A relay race. Sort of. And I got to spend time with my past self. Even if I didn't know it yet. Still. I wish I'd-"

"What?" Hamish gently asked.

"That I had spent more time with Aureo. Apart, I mean." Kalli gave a short sad laugh. "It's pathetic, isn't it. I couldn't even keep him alive for a year. How laughable is that?"

"Not as bad as you think." Hamish let out a long sigh. "Perhaps it is best to tell you another story. Yes, I am checking off all the old guy tropes. Always another story to tell. Bear with me, okay?"

Kalli was in no mood for stories. Old or new. Aureo was dead. How could a story help her? To ease the guilt she still felt. But what else was she supposed to do now? Kalli had no idea how to go on without him. Perhaps it could help. Maybe. Even if it was a little, Kalli would take it. Her tumultuous thoughts made themself known only in a short nod.

"There was once a girl-" Hamish shook his head. "No, that is not the best point to start. Let's go back to Augustus Manteriantus. His greatest work was known as haunted and cursed. Even after finding out the truth he had trouble washing off that image. His last attempt to turn around was to create something new. If the magic worked for a wagon, why not for a locomotive? He created a prototype. His final masterpiece. But there was a problem. No one was willing to bind to it."

Hamish leaned over with a mischievous grin. "Except one girl just reaching adulthood. Oh, she loved trains. Couldn't get enough of them. Visited the tracks every day in hopes of seeing a new train drive by. It was her life. Her blood. And when she heard of Manteriantus' last try of fame, she had to be the one to bind to it."

Hamish leaned back with a sour frown. "Except Augustus was stubborn. The girl knew nothing of the details. Had no education in anything official in regards to trains. Wouldn't even do as a good poster girl. Tall. Lanky. Not very strong. No one's first choice. Luckily for her, she was his only choice. She got the job. Happily bound her soul to the engine. Explored every nook and cranny. She was even faster on the uptake than Aureo and remodeled the engine three times in a month."

A wistful smile and absent eyes, clue Kalli in that Hamish break in his tale led him to old memories. Cherished ones too. At last, he took a deep breath and continued.

"Augustus was worried. Of course, he was. He recognized her behavior from dozens of people before who had been soul-bound to a wagon. By then, they had a solution. An android. It was more intended as a temporary fix than a true solution, but for now, it worked."

"She choose one that reminded her of her grandpa. Why? She was young. No one took her seriously. And we are talking about two hundred years ago. It wasn't that long after humanity had fled Earth and settled on New Terra. On Earth, they nearly had achieved gender equality. But New Terra was ten times the size of Earth and governments fell apart. In that wake, old outdated concepts sprang forth. Not everywhere. Just enough to give the girl trouble with assholes regularly. So, she decided her android would be her stand-in. And she called him Hamish."

Now, Kalli sat up straighter. Looking shocked at the old man beside her. "You're an android?"

"Of course," Hamish confirmed with a fatherly smile. "One of the oldest on this train. Not the oldest, but nearly."

As the shock ebbed away, Kalli knew what this story would lead to. Still, she had to ask. "What happened to her? The girl."

"I took on more and more responsibility, while she concentrated on the engine. Everything fell away and became a second priority. Even her own health. And, at last, one day I found her. Just like you did with Aureo. Curled in a corner. I couldn't even pretend she was asleep. She might have been dead for a week or two. Must have been around five months in. Not that this is a competition."

"I am sorry." Kalli knew it must have been a lifetime ago. From the timeframe, it was likely more than two. Still, from the sound of his voice, she knew it still hurt Hamish to talk about it. "What did you do? How did you deal with it?"

"She loved to feel the wind rushing by when the locomotive was going full sprint. Either by sticking her head out or later through her connection to the engine. She loved it. Being part of the locomotive. And that's how I honored her. Instead of telling anyone, I burned her in the arc furnace that powers this train. So, not just her soul, but her ashes too, became part of the engine. Over time, people forgot about her. Even about Augustus. Or that I was only an android. At some point, my body became convincing enough that they thought I was human. And the owner of this train. Never really corrected them."

Kalli thought she understood Hamish a lot more now. Most of all, his drive to collect Manteriantus Wagons and to seeing them restored. It must have been lonely over the time and only those soul-bound too would be able to truly understand him.

Would she feel lonely on time too? Aureo and Mirela had spoken about it once. What Mirela would do when Caius died. Would she replace him with an android of his liking? Would Kalli do the same with Aureo? She couldn't imagine it and Mirela seemed to be on the fence.

"Have you ever-" Kalli stopped herself noticing into what painful territory she was stepping. Still, she had to know. "Did you ever miss her enough to try bringing her back? As an android, I mean."

"Not at first, no," Hamish admitted. "I thought it would taint my memory of her. But over time, this train became larger. I couldn't be everywhere at the same time. Someone was needed to help me run this train. So, I did. Recreate her. Three times to be exact. It's a large train, after all."

"Triplets?" Kalli tried to remember. "I never noticed triplets."

Hamish chuckled. "Sherin would never permit that to happen. Then their jig would be up!"

"Sherin?" Kalli was stunned. How had she never put that together? This made so much sense now. Aureo had wondered time and time again how the android had managed to appear and disappear. Seemingly teleporting when he raced her up or down the train. Always knowing what was up. "There are three of her?"

Hamish only gave her a wink.

For a moment, Kalli's spirits had risen. But now, the sadness crept back in. "I still feel sorry for Aureo. That I couldn't keep him here longer."

"Don't be," Hamish assured her. "Look around you? What do you see? Isn't it what Aureo always had dreamed of? A place to find peace."

Kalli looked around her wagon as if she saw it for the first time. Aureo loved his plants. The magnificent view outside. The freedom he got even while being restricted to just one wagon. "Yes," Kalli quietly agreed.

Hamish nodded. "And for this space, he needed a caretaker. Someone who loved plants as much as him. But even more, someone who is open to visitors. Big and small alike. The ideal hostess. Someone like him, but not dragged down by the flaws he felt he had. And that is you, Kalli."

At that moment, Kalli cursed her android body. Again she felt like crying. She had never viewed herself in the light that Hamish presented her now. There was so much truth to it.

"He might have not realized it himself, but you are his ideal self as he envisioned it," Hamish continued. "Even when you became your own, he chose to stay with you. To see the world through your eyes. Kalli, you are Aureo's hopes and dreams. Something that he believed in more than himself. And whatever you do or wherever you go, you will always carry that with you. Aureo is still a part of you and he will be with you, always."

Kalli looked at Hamish and gave him a smile. It was a sad smile. Full of bittersweet memories and hopes, but it was one. "Thank you. I needed to hear that."

"You're welcome," Hamish said while standing up. He rested a hand on her shoulder. "I'll be around if you need me."

His armchair didn't stay empty for long. Mirela took his place. Quietness settled over the room. Mirela stared out of the large windows. Watching the world speed by. And Kalli was lost for words. What was she supposed to say? She had known that Mirela and Aureo had feelings for each other. And now, Aureo was gone. For that, she still felt guilty.

After a long moment, Mirela reached over. Taking Kalli's hand in her own. Giving it a reassuring squeeze. Maybe words weren't necessary after all. Together, the two androids sat silently and watched the world rush by. Until the landscape darkened and the sun was setting.

And in the faint light of the last sun rays, a single tear ran down Kalli's cheek. More joined to her amazement. It made her smile. Gave her hope. She might be an android now on her own. But she wasn't alone. And she could still change, evolve, and grow. And for that, she had to give thanks to Aureo. For him, she would go on and make his dreams a reality.

The end.

up
134 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The soul train...

Well, not https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Train

To new places, meet new people, and so on! ...

Afterlife Express! Ghost trains, etc!

Going from just fleeing for survival into finding a purpose in life through his chosen career!

unlike any other story I've ever read

you created something completely new to me, and that's no small achievement.

thank you so much for sharing it with us.

DogSig.png

Ditto

My sentiments in a nutshell Dorothy!
Thanks for a new view on things.
Stay safe
T

Very nice

Erisian's picture

This got better as it went along to a lovely finish. Thank you! :)

That was quite the read.

Rose's picture

I enjoyed this story. Definitely different than any I've read. It sort of reminds me of an Isaac Asimov story (I think it was his) where a girl was placed inside a spaceship and became its brain. And sang. 1F601.png

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Anne McCaffrey

It sounds like you are thinking of Anne McCaffrey's The Ship Who Sang

Yep. You're right.

Rose's picture

Yep. You're right.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Fascinating!

Once I got into this story, I couldn't put it down. A very novel theme with lots of potential. Well done Cassy.

xx Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Very good piece!

Skillfully crafted, inventive plot and topics... Not to mention also being to my taste. :)

Wow!,,

An absorbing story depicting how we all build ourselves. Thank you for sharing this story.

Cheryl pinkwestch

Awesome concept

This is an amazingly original concept. Extremely well done. The background needed to follow the plot is nestled gently in the tale. Well crafted and delivered. Awesome.

Classic

erin's picture

This is a unique fantasy that deserves a wider audience. I got up in the middle of the night to finish reading this. The story is much like what it is to be a writer, to create something that lives and brathes and can go on without you. This story has been added to my soul and I am increased by having read it.

If you are willing, I would like to publish this through DopplerPress.

Hugs,
Errin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Brilliant...

An outstanding tale with a powerful finish. Quite a story concept.

Almost a Cordwainer Smith feel.

Eric

Wow!

A haunting story -- literally, in a way. The train moves on forever, transforming and collecting souls.

Inside of a simulation that contains the collected souls from Old Earth.

Thank You

You have a wonderful talent. Thank you for sharing this tale. This train would a base for so many stories. Isanaklesh's blessing.

ShadowCat