Life Goes On Chp. 14

Printer-friendly version

Months go by as the death rate increases. Some of the people that died, were people that Roxana, Stacy, and Artemis personally knew. They were friends of Roxana or Stacy’s. One of them had been a classmate of Artemis that already had health problems.

As the locked down continued, people started spending more time outside. Artemis would set bicycles she had worked on outside either to buy or rent. She had a few restaurants buy a few bicycles from her to make deliveries.

Her aunt Stacy would help Artemis out when the bicycles were returned. She would help Artemis wipe the bicycles down and make sure they were sanitized. Stacy didn’t mind helping her niece out. The business she worked for was going to do online sales until they could open again.

Artemis looks at her aunt as she cleans a double-seat bicycle. The cleaning supplies she got, were from her mother. Her mother would order large amounts of cleaner, and Artemis would pay her for the cleaning supplies.

“At least a few good things have come out of the lockdown, Aunt Stacy.” Artemis stops after a while.

“What’s that, sweetie?” Stacy looks at her niece as she cleans a bicycle that has been returned.

“I never thought about renting the bicycles out before. With people stuck at home, it gives people a chance to be outside.” Artemis finishes cleaning the bicycle she is working on.

“True.” Stacy finishes the bicycle she is cleaning and moves on to another one.

“I’ll be happy when things get back to normal.” Artemis hated taking her classes online.

The teacher she had was alright, but it took her mother or aunt afterward to explain things to her. Whenever her teachers are teaching online, she makes sure to record the lesson.

“What grade did your teacher give you, on your test?” Stacy was curious.

“I got a B on Mr. Mason’s math test and an A on Mrs. Watson’s English test.” Artemis couldn’t believe how hard Mr. Mason’s math test was.

“That’s good. Now, let’s finish cleaning these last four bicycles and get some lunch.”

“Okay.” Artemis continues to clean the bicycle she was working on.

Stacy and Artemis finish cleaning the bicycles and cookout on the grill. Stacy was cooking the homemade burgers she made. Artemis was getting the lawn chairs from the garage and set them up.

“The burgers are almost done, Artemis.”

“Alright, Aunt Stacy.” Artemis goes inside and grabs some paper plates and a bag of potato chips.

The two of them sit down on the lawn chair, enjoying their lunch. They were spending time out in the garage either renting the bicycles or selling them. Sometimes, someone in the neighborhood would come by to have their bicycle tire fixed or leave it for a tune-up.

“I wonder how mom is doing, today?” Artemis knew things have slowed down at her mother’s garage.

People weren’t driving that much. Since only a few things were opened.

“I’ll be glad once everything gets back to normal.” Artemis misses seeing her friends at school.

“Me too, sweetie. Me too.” Stacy takes a bite out of her burger.

After lunch, Artemis helps her aunt clean up. She watches as her aunt goes into the house to grab some dirty clothes. She sits outside in the driveway, watching her neighbors work on their lawn.

She hopes no one they know dies. She knew how the last two deaths affected her aunt and mother. Especially when they couldn’t go to see their friends buried.

Artemis spends most of the afternoon outside. Occasionally, she could hear her aunt doing laundry in the garage. She knew her aunt would take the laundry inside and fold them.

One of the boys that live in the same neighborhood as Artemis, rides up the driveway. Clint noticed that Artemis was outside sitting in a lawn chair in her driveway.

“What are you doing?” Clint looks at Artemis for an answer.

“Just watching people. What are you up to, Clint?” Artemis shields her eyes so she could look at Clint.

“Just cruising around the neighborhood. My mom said I was bugging her, and I should go outside for a while.” Clint wanted to stay inside to play on his PlayStation 4.

“Well, it’s a good day to ride around. It’s not too hot and everyone is outside enjoying themselves.” Artemis was thinking about going out tomorrow for a while.

“Well, I prefer to be inside and playing on my PlayStation 4.”

“I didn’t know they were up to the fourth version already.” Artemis wasn’t into video games.

“Actually, they are up to a fifth-generation, but I like my fourth generation.” Clint knew they were still too expensive to buy right now.

“Boy, I wonder how much they cost?”

“Too much. For the cost of the fifth generation, I could upgrade my computer and play games on it.”

“I’m glad I’m not into video games. I would go broke trying to keep up with the latest units and games.”

“What do you do for fun, when you’re not working on bicycles?” Clint was curious.

“I play on my computer, draw some and read books.”

“Boy, I didn’t think anyone reads a book, anymore.”

“I do. I enjoy holding a book in my hand while I read.” Artemis likes real books, instead of just using a Fire Kindle.

“Well, one day I am going to have to have you come over and play.”

“Sounds like a plan to me.” Artemis wouldn’t mind going over to Clint’s place.

A beeping sound could be heard coming from Clint’s back pocket. He pulls his cellphone out and looks at who is texting him. After a few minutes, Clint puts his cellphone back “it looks like my mom wants me to come home.”

“Drop by any time, Clint.” Artemis smiles at Clint.

“I will.” Clint turns around on his bicycle and rides off.

Artemis watches as Clint rides off, before heading inside the house. She hopes she'll be able to visit Clint one day.

up
130 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The original strain was bad

Samantha Heart's picture

The newer one is not as severe like a sinus infection. I had it for 2 wks (Omacron & I'm here to tell you the vaccine works, I was miserable for about a day & half then started feeling better) anyway I digress hope this family stays healthy

Love Samantha Renée Heart.