New Tale to Tell Chapter 6: Meet the Parents

Printer-friendly version

New Tale to Tell
Chapter 6
by Justin M.
Copyright © 2020 Justin M. All rights reserved.

“When good and just men fail to act in the face of evil, evil triumphs and society loses. The rights of the oppressed shall be defended at all costs, lest the oppressors gain absolute power…. Jonathan Moorland. My Father”


~o~O~o~

Chapter 6: Meet the Parents

After the incident with the G.O.P. Shelby and Jonathan had retreated to the library. Their studies and homework long since complete, they sit talking quietly, actually Shelby is talking. Jonathan is quietly listening, secretly lost in grey-green pools. Shelby’s phone interrupts the mutual revelry.

Mom - “Time to go. Why don’t you have him walk you out? It’s time we met.”

“Shit! It’s my mom.” Puzzled she looks up from her phone., “She wants to meet you.”

“You told her about me?”

“That’s the thing, I haven’t.”

“Well you know how moms are.”

“Would you mind? I don’t want a fight with her. She’s a psychiatrist. Arguing with her never seems to work. Sheesh! Knowing her she’ll walk right in here.”

“I guess so. Are you ready for me to meet them?” Once she nods, he gets up and offers her his hand, “Shall we?”

The students find Mary’s SUV pulled up at the rear pick-up point by the student parking lot.

As the pair walk up hand in hand Mary exits the driver’s side. From the passenger side a very tall and well built man unfolds himself.

“Oh-oh that’s Daddy. Something is up! Be cool Jonathan.”

“Hello there young man. Who might you be?”

“Good afternoon Dr. Curtis. I am Jonathan Moorland.” He extends his hand to her then turns to her husband. “And you sir are Shelby’s father?”

Shelby whispers in his ear, “Daddy’s a doctor too.”

Dr. Robert Curtis extends his hand, “Nice to meet you son. So how long have you two been hanging out together?”

“Perhaps two months sir. We met on the quad. However we have shared classes since my first day.”

“I see.”

Shelby pops in, ”So how did you guys find out? Are you spying on me?”

Mary smiling looks sideways at her daughter, “You bet your backside we are. We have informants everywhere.”

“You actually have people spying on me for you? Geesh Mom!”

“Of course we don’t have people spying for us. They do it on their own.”

Exasperated Shelby rolls her eyes, “Unbelievable!”

Robert looks over at Jonathan, “Sure you want to get wrapped up in this insanity son?”

He looks over at Shelby, “I think I may already be in too deep, sir” The boy grins meekly, “Dr. & Dr. Curtis, may I ask your permission about something.” He had been thinking of this a lot and in spite of the fear couldn’t stop himself.

Mary answers, “What would that be?”

“Well ma’am I drive to school and am here until this time every day. With your permission, it would be nice if on occasion I could drive Shelby home after school. The route is not very traveled. I promise to drive responsibly.”

Robert speaks up, “Why don’t we all go out for a bite? Our treat. You and Shelby can lead the way and we’ll see how you do.” Mary interjects, “First, where is your car?”

He points to the far end of the parking lot, “It’s over there Dr. Curtis. The burnt orange Nissan Murano.” The car is immaculate and barely two years old. A present for his 16th birthday.

The Curtis’s glance at the car then each other with “a can you believe it?” look. Surprised a boy his age would drive such a car. “That will work Jonathan. Robert? Thomas’s Grill sounds good. Shall we go? Oh Jonathan, shouldn't you check in with your parents to see if it's okay?”

“I'll do it on the way ma’am.”

During dinner, conversation is light; How did the two teens meet? What are Jonathan’s interests? How old is he? ect. Until Mary pointedly asks the teens about the incident with the two bullies from earlier. Jonathan answers with equal directness. “Dr. Curtis, I was confident that like most bullies they were bluffing and would back down if someone faced up to them. My father taught me that when dealing with bullies and most villains, if you meet them with equal or greater aggression they will inevitably back down. The gang of six fit the mold pretty well.”

“And if they had not backed down?”

“When good and just men fail to act in the face of evil, evil triumphs and society loses. The rights of the oppressed shall be defended at all costs, lest the oppressors gain absolute power…. Jonathan Moorland. My Father”

“So you would have fought them?”

“Unfortunately Dr. Curtis, violent people cannot be reasoned with. Violence is the only language they understand. Yes. For Shelby’s safety I would have fought them”

“How often would you like to drive Shelby home?” Mary seems satisfied by the boy’s conviction.

“Hey!” Shelby waves her arm in front of them, “I’m feeling ignored here. Don’t I get a say in this? Since it’s me we’re talking about, I vote for every day.”

“Of course you don’t get a vote. You’re just a little girl.” Robert grins at his daughter and winks.

“Daddy!”

“OK you two.” Mary turns back to Jonathan, “How about you bring her home whenever you want. But if Shelby needs a ride she should text me by say 4:30?”

“Yes ma’am. I will make sure she knows well before then, if I cannot take her home.”

Robert has a sudden thought, “So if there are six of these bullies at school, how do you propose to handle them?”

“I’ve given it some thought sir. My father taught me that in a fight the best thing is to leverage the opposition’s tactics against them and exploit any weakness. With this group? Divide them, cull them out if you will, like cattle. Then act on them individually to break their cohesion. Once they are divided their ability to act as a unit is compromised. I’ve studied on it some and have a few ideas how to go about it.”

“I’m not sure I approve of fighting Jonathan.” Mary adds.

“Dr. Curtis, I don’t have any intention of engaging in a fist-fight. My intent is to undermine them using the same tactics they use on their victims. Show them for the shams and cowards they really are.”

The following day Jonathan goes on the offensive in full view of his classmates.

He decides to begin small with Mark. He is the smallest, mouthiest and second most aggressive of the gang. Normally Jonathan avoids trouble and any situation that could lead to a confrontation. However once he goes on the offensive he follows his parents advice and looks for ways to take advantage of his enemies weaknesses. Mark’s is his arrogance and belief the gang will back him. So he is pushy and aggressive with the other kids. Jonathan chooses to use this against him. During a class change. Jonathan manages to get on path with Mark coming from the opposite direction. He can see the look in his eyes and knows what to expect. Mark likes to shoulder butt kids as he passes them in the hall. Jonathan is too juicy of a target to pass up. As they pass one another Mark makes his move, Jonathan has already started his.

Prior to the accident Jonathan was an accomplished lacrosse player with the moves to match. As Mark starts his attack he executes a shoulder spin and with a firm palm shove into the back sends Mark crashing nose first into a locker. The little bully crumples to the floor. Jonathan immediately picks him up as if he helped a kid who tripped. As he roughly dusts the shaken kid off he whispers "I'm going to hammer on you till the end of days. This will not stop until you're all whimpering worse than those you've preyed upon!" Mark, eyes watering, his nose throbbing from his run in with the locker stares in fear at Jonathan. He mistakes the beads of sweat and the scowl in the new kids eyes as rage. He’s no idea what the exchange has cost the new kid. The sudden movements caused Jonathan stabbing pain on his left side...

For a week at different times a day he manages to find ways for Mark to accidentally walk into doors or trip and fall until the bully starts hiding from him. With each altercation Jonathan’s side throbs.

Tom is slightly bigger than Mark, almost as mouthy, with a cruel streak. His favorite torment is to whiz urine on other boys while they go pee. Jonathan corners him alone in the boy’s restroom, like most bullies his cowardice shows when faced with an opponent who’s unafraid. In an attempt to escape he “falls” with his arm up to the elbow into a convenient and horribly clogged toilet. The filth splashes all over the bully. Another time he "trips" into an overflowing urinal. Tom having spent several days smelling of urine and feces quickly learns to avoid Jonathan and the bathrooms altogether. In the evenings Jonathan is spent. His side a nearly constant dull ache.

Sean likes to pin kids between doors and walls. Gender doesn't matter to him, he is an equal opportunity bully. During a pep rally Sean finds himself the victim of his own trap. Billie, a small junior with the ultimate nerd complex is just about to become Sean’s latest victim. Just when he is about to shove the girl into the crux between the wall and a gym door he finds himself flying past Billie and into the jaws of his trap. Once fully open he is pinned between the heavy gym door and the wall. Sean’s view of a shocked Billie through the crack is replaced by Jonathan who happens to be in the way of his escape. “I’ll just stand here and hold the door open for everyone Sean. Surely you won’t mind waiting until everyone gets out of the gym.” Many students take the opportunity to “lean” on the door as the pep rally lets out. The first of which is Billie who with a vicious shove grins happily, high fives Jonathan and with a “Thanks” trots off to her next class.

The Hoolihan Twins are linemen on the school football squad. They treat class changes like team practice making “holes” in the opposing lines or preventing anyone from getting by them. They are neither very bright nor very fast. Jonathan remembers his parent’s teachings, ”Find the weakness and exploit it.” Each twin carries too much weight on either the right or left leg. For Michael it's the left. Jeffrey favors his right. Jonathan using this new found knowledge and his lacrosse skills quickly has both randomly falling in the halls, on the quad and around school. With a few hints from Jonathan, other kids are able to join in. Within a week they become pathetic targets for many kids seeking revenge.

By Jonathan's constant undermining the G.O.P. begin to lose their hold over the student body. The cost has left him with frequent biting pain and a fear something inside is not quite right.



This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.


To all those who comment: Thanks for making me better!

v/r
JM

up
130 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Quality writing, Justin.

Podracer's picture

Jonathan's crusade is costing him, I hope he has the sense to sort out the medical problem.
Whatever Shelby isn't telling him, I am sure would not repulse him. I just hope her fear of rejection does not keep him too remote.

"Reach for the sun."

"Oops, are you okay?"

Jamie Lee's picture

Shelby must be a very special girl for so many eyes watching over her, and reporting back to Mary. Including the most recent with Jason and his boy toy.

It is now reasonable to say that Shelby and Johnathan are a couple, given they have been hanging out together and holding hands as Shelby felt they were walking the last mile to reach her mom in the school parking lot.

And still, Johnathan is still reluctant to say his parents died in a vehicle accident. An accident where he was the driver of their car. It's almost as though he believes if he doesn't admit his parents are dead, they won't be dead. But it's more likely he still isn't ready to face their deaths openly.

The GOP never figured on being on the receiving end of what they've been doing to other students. And that has them shook up. Johnathan has shown the other students what can happen when they stand up to bullies, and/or give them a taste of their own medicine.

Mary is a sharp cookie, so it might not be too long before she figures out what Johnathan refuses to face, and offers him help.

And maybe it won't be much longer until Johnathan learns what makes Shelby so special. A time when he has to make some very serious decisions.

Others have feelings too.