From the Streets - Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

Hey Guys, another post from, From the Streets for you! Remember if you enjoy our stories you can support us on Patreon!

--SEPARATOR--

Melissa watched Sophie sleep for a moment, and Katelyn woke Sophie up slowly, “Time to wake up Princess.”.

“Fkoff,” Sophie groaned angrily as she rolled over, trying to hide her head under the covers. Sleep had not improved her disposition since last night.

“We’ve got a special guest who wants to talk with you.” Katelyn spoke. “And Amanda made your favorite breakfast.”

Sophie slowly began to realize she wasn’t curled up on the sofa anymore. Someone had, somehow, managed to move her without waking her. That thought alone gave her pause for a creepy thought or two. She shrugged and burrowed deeper.

“Dennis Kelly.” Melissa stated, “Wake up right now.”

Sophie threw the covers off, rolled out of bed and right into a fighting stance. “Don’t you EVER call me that. I don’t care if you’re the bloody Queen of England.”

“I’m your fookin mother, and I will call you whatever the bloody hell I want. I pushed you out of my vag, Sophie.” Melissa stated.

“And tried to fooking kill me four times you rotten bitch,” Sophie answered.

“3 of the 4 were accidents.” Melissa stated. “And the 4th time I ran because it scared the fuck out of me.” she switched back to her English accent. She spent two years perfecting it, and wasn’t about to slip back into that low brow, as she saw it, accent now.

“I still can’t believe I ran all the way across Ireland looking for you, spent a year and a half on the streets doing shit that would turn your fucking toes inside out, and it was for a fooking lie.”

“Oh fuck, cry me a river Sophie. When I left your dad, I went to Galway and some fucking asshole got me hooked on crack, and doing tricks. It took some military dude to get me cleaned up and to where I’m at right now, along with about 4 years of fucking therapy.”

They had only known one another as mother and daughter for five minutes, and were already fighting. Katelyn flinched. She knew this would happen.

“That’s right, it’s all about you,” Sophie said. “Nobody else has suffered because of your decisions. I didn’t get my fucking arm broke by my own da because you left him with me.”

“You know Your dad wasn’t always a dick Sophie.” Melissa sighed, “We were in love. He had a great job, and he was sober.”

“And then I came along and ruined everything.”

“It wasn’t you. I tried to be a good mother.” Melissa sighed, “I really did. But I’m just not cut from the cloth to be a mother Sophie, you atta be glad I wasn’t there anymore.”

“Oh aye, I had lots to be glad for, wondering when my next beating would come, wondering if he’d finally just fooking kill me and get it over with this time, or when I’d get my next meal because I couldn’t fooking take it anymore.”

“Had I known your dad would turn out the way he was with you I’d have given you to the state Sophie.” Melissa stated firmly.

“Shoulda coulda woulda. Go back to your ivory tower,” Sophie said, walking past her.

“That Ivory tower,” Melissa shouted, “Is what pays your charity.” she walked out of the apartment, slamming the door.

Sophie walked out, but not after her. David tried to catch her, and discovered the error of his ways as he found himself doubled over in severe pain a few moments later. She stormed down the stairs, too furious for an elevator.

“I’m going to fucking ruin her,” Katelyn growled.

“Careful, she can do the same to you.” Amanda sighed.

“She’s not a lawyer,” Katelyn shouted.

“Yeah, but she’s got a team of them babe.” Amanda said calmly before pulling out her phone. “Nicole it’s Amanda. Are you on scene?”

“Yeah in the parking lot, I’ve got my eyes on the little songbird. Mel just drove out of here like a bat out of hell.”

“Yeah they had a bit of a raff. I kinda had a feeling this was going to happen.” Amanda sighed. “Sophie dropped David like a pound cake. Be careful when you engage.”

“Not surprised,” Nicole sighed as well. “I should have warned him, she knows some krav maga thanks to my war buddy, RIchie.”

Sophie stopped when she noticed Nicole was following her at a distance.

“You can tell em to fook off, that I’m going back to ireland.” Sophie sighed.

“If that’s what you really want,” Nicole said calmly, “I’ll give you a ride to the airport.”

Sophie raised a finger. “Don’t play games with me. I’m not in the goddamn mood.”

“No tricks. Get in and I’ll take you to the airport right now.” Nicole said. She was still on the phone. “I’ll get on the plane, and I’ll go back to Ireland with you. But I’m not letting you go alone until I’m sure you’re safe. It’s my job till Friday.”

Sophie stared at her. She was trying to decide if she was telling the truth or not. She cautiously climbed into the car with her hand on the car door handle, ready to bolt.

Nicole was dead serious. She got in and started to the airport, “Sophie's taking an impromptu vacation ladies.” Nicole stated. “I’m paid for the month, my shift ends Friday at 7am, David has the weekends. But seeing as he’s incapacitated I’m taking his shift.”

“Thanks Nicole, this is why we chose you hon.” Katelyn stated. “Sophie... I’m sorry. I know you don’t believe that. I’m truly sorry, and I’m going to make her pay for this. I own about half the company. If I have to, I’ll burn it all down. She broke the one promise I made her make, not to hurt you, and she’s going to fucking suffer for it.”

“Going to hang up now Katelyn, it’s not safe to drive and talk on the phone.” Nicole stated. “I’ll call you when we get to Ireland.” She paused. “Oh, shit. Hold that thought. Here Sophie,” she thrust the phone into Sophie’s hands as two squad cars went speeding past her. “Shit there’s been an accident.” She took the phone back from Sophie, “Kate, ‘Manda, Melissa’s car was in an accident. It looks bad.”

There was only the one vehicle involved, but it, or what was left of it, was wrapped firmly around a now broken utility pole, smoking, mangled, and currently unopenable. Rescue workers were already cordoning off the area as a fire truck came screaming in with an ambulance on standby.

“Sophie want me to stop?” Nicole asked. She looked over. Sophie was already out of the car and sprinting to the scene. A cop tried to grab her. He quickly joined David.

Nicole approached quickly, “Sorry officer. That’s Sophie Dee, she’s been trained in Mav Kavar, and that’s her mother in that car.”

“Well she needs to get away; the tank’s leaking and could go up any minute,” the officer shouted. “We’re going to try and get her out, but it’s too dangerous for her to be that close.”

“I’ll go get her,” Nicole shouted as she sprang quickly, and grabbed Sophie before she could get anywhere, in a hold that Sophie had no idea how to counter. “I bet Richie never showed you this one.” She lifted Sophie and turned her around to hug her. “They’re going to try to get her out, but it’s not safe for us here.”

“Let me go!” Sophie screamed. “This is my fault! I have to help her!” she demanded as Nicole carried her to safety.

“You can’t, sweat pea.” Nicole said. “Let the firefighters help her, and it’s not your fault hon, it’s hers. She fired James in the parking lot and got in the car and drove off like a bat out of hell. She’s always been a psycho bitch with a short fuse. It’s just who she is.”

“I need oxygen!” one of the firefighters bellowed as two more operated a massive claw-like thing that Sophie had never seen before, despite Nicole’s best efforts to try and shelter her from it. She watched as they peeled the wreckage open like a can of sardines.

“That’s a jaw of life.” Nicole explained to Sophie, giving up on protecting her. ”They’re using it to get to Melissa.”

The entire scene was something out of a nightmare.

“Does she have a pulse?” one of the paramedics yelled over the sounds of the machine.

“Barely” the other yelled. “She’s losing a lot of blood.”

“Clear!” the firefighter yelled as he pulled back the machine and then used it to peel the door right off its hinges. He stepped back so the paramedics could do their job, and joined the others in preparing to fight one hell of a gasoline car fire.

“Careful!” the woman paramedic called, “She’s got neck injuries. Nice and slow!”

“If she makes it from this, she’ll be lucky to walk.” The big tall man stated. Stunned onlookers had joined Nicole and Sophie, watching with concern or morbid fascination.

“Well you got your fookin’ wish ma,” Sophie said through tears. “If I’d only been in front of it then you’d have both your wishes.”

“Can I tell you something?” Nicole asked.

“If I say no, it’s not going to stop you, so go ahead,” Sophie said on the verge of tears

“It might. You are my boss.” Nicole winked. “You just can’t dismiss or fire me.”

“I’m not your boss,” Sophie said as she clung to Nicole.

“Actually yes you are, and my friend.” Nicole smiled holding her, “But what I wanted to tell you is Katelyn and Amanda love you like a mother should love their child, and Katelyn texted me that if anything happened to you in Ireland, she was going to fire my happy ass. Out of a cannon”

“No pulse!” the medic yelled as they were preparing to load Melissa into the ambulance.

Sophie broke free at that point and ran over to Melissa. The paramedics were too busy to stop her. “You listen to me you rotten bitch. You better not die because we’re not through yet. Do you hear me? I have a lot more yelling to do. You may not be mother of the year, or even mother of the fooking day, but you are my mum, and we need to finish this. So y ou fooking breathe, and you come back to me.”

“We got a pulse! You’re her daughter?” the paramedic asked.

“Yes ma’am I am,” Sophie said. She almost sounded proud.

“We’ll be at the Golden Light Hospital, if you want to have your friend over there drive you. We can’t let you ride because she’s touch and go right now.” the woman said as gently as possible.

Sophie nodded. She didn’t want to take anymore of the paramedic’s time, but they were still carefully loading Melissa up anyway. “Go raibh maith agat,” she said.

By now James, Katelyn, and Amanda were standing next to Nicole along with an embarrassed-looking David, and an irritated-looking police officer.

“You know I’m not mad at her.” David said, “Mad at myself for not reading that she knew martial arts, god damn, not even sure why she needs a bodyguard.”

“So she can learn to be a kid again,” Nicole said. “Not sure that’s possible now, but damn if I’m not going to try.”

“I’m here too.” David stated. “I got one her age, you met Kelly right?”

“Guys...” Sophie said as she approached. “I...”

“Don’t apologize.” Amanda stated. “You have nothing to be sorry to us about, Well maybe this police officer and David, but not the rest of us.”

The car had begun to smoulder now, not the big, fiery explosion you’d see in an action movie, but there was a low roar of flames coming from the vehicle, and firefighters had already sprung into action blasting the flames with water, a fitting background to Sophie’s, at least somewhat, calming rage.

“Young lady.” The officer stated, “I could have you arrested for assaulting a police officer.” he paused looking at everyone there for her, “But I won't, because that was your mother in the car and I’m pretty sure I’d have done the same thing if I was in your position.”

“I am so sorry sir,” Sophie said. “I honestly have nothing but the utmost respect for police officers. She is my mother and we just had a huge fight, and I feel completely responsible and,” and the tears finally began to flow. She couldn’t remember the last time she had had a good, hard cry.

Maybe the walls she had built up over the last four years were breaking down. Maybe it was both.

“You’re fine.” The officer smiled and kneeled, “Hey no need to cry, she’s going to live you know, so you two can have more fights as all those girl hormones flow through you.” he winked. Sophie laughed a little.

A female officer approached. “You folks want a police escort to the hospital?” she asked gently.

“No I have some things I have to do before I go see her.” Sophie stated.

The woman nodded and turned, “Okay folks, back up please,” she began herding civilians away from the still very dangerous flaming wreckage of a Lexus.

“Still wanting to go back to Ireland?” Nicole asked.

“Just for two days.” Sophie stated as they headed back to Nicoles car. “I better pack a bag though...”

“I called Doctor Wilson. She knows you’re going to be late and why.” Amanda said and kissed Sophie on the top of her head. Sophie stopped, turned around again, and threw her arms around Amanda.

“Thank you mum.” She smiled a little. “And you too mum.” she looked over at Katelyn. “You two are my real mums, you know that? I don’t want Melissa to die. But I don’t know if I can trust her again. She may have given birth to me, but she's a twat.”

“It’s more complicated than that,” Katelyn said, “However, I’ll tell you what I told Amanda. Melissa has been my best friend for years. I helped her found this company. But I told her, if she hurt you, I would ruin her.”

“Can you do me a favor?” Sophie asked. “Would you not?”

Katelyn looked a little surprised.

“If you ruined her, then you’d have to run the company, and then you’d have no time for me at all.” Sophie grinned.

“Well... Actually,” Katelyn said, “With her incapacitated, I have control of the company. If I initiate a vote of no confidence based on her erratic behavior, I take her down without firing a shot. And then I can put Drew as the front face of the company where he belongs if you ask me.”

“I agree.” Sophie stated. “Just don’t ruin her okay this wreck is going to do that for her.”

“Okay,” Katelyn said, “But I am hiring James back.”

“Can you make him take Elizabeth’s night shifts?” Sophie grinned.

“It would be my honor and pleasure,” James said. “Miss Elizabeth is a good woman, but she's a single mother, I’ve been trying to get her to take more time off for ages.” James had one of those posh butler British accents.

“Her kid’s six,” Sophie said. “Same age I was when Melissa left. I know it’s not the same thing, but it’s close enough.”

“We’re friends of hers!” Sophie heard Megan arguing with a police officer nearby.

“I am Juliette Small. You will let me and Megan through right now.” Juliette went into total Diva mode with the officer, “If you do not let me and Megan through I will sue you and your police district till it’s out of business.”

“Kid,” the woman said, pointing to the flaming wreckage, “Explosive car. Sue all you want, but this is a hazard scene.”

“I am not a kid.” Juliette growled.

Sophie came running over at that point. “Sorry, they’re close family friends, practically family. They’re just worried about me.” She threw her arms around Juliette and Megan. “It’s bad guys.”

“Came as soon we heard.” Megan hugged Sophie back, “Sorry you had to see Jules go nuclear.”

“Me too,” Juliette said, nearly in tears. “We heard Sophie Dee and car accident and freaked the fuck right out. Megan’s driver almost got two tickets on the way here..”

“It wasn’t me,” Sophie said. “It was... Well, my real mother, Melissa Winters.”

“THE Melissa Winters is your mom?” Megan whistled.

“Was,” Sophie sighed. “Oh, I don’t mean she died. She’s in critical or whatever, but I mean she’s a total fucking bitch. And I don’t want her around in my life as a family figure. But I don’t want her to die, and I want to have a civil conversation with her that doesn’t involve her, you know, being a total disrespectful bitch. She deadnamed me and it went down from there.”

“That’s might take awhile.” Katelyn frowned, “Amanda told you her stance on kids hon.”

“Then she needs to grow the fuck up,” Megan said flatly. “Ooh I don’t like kids. Big fucking deal, A lot of people don’t like kids, but they don’t get into car accidents after being disrespectful cunts. You don’t deadname people, especially not your own daughter.”

“I agree.” Katelyn stated, “We’re going to out her from the company, and I’m going to put Drew in charge by the way.”

“You can do that?” Juliette looked shocked. They were represented by the company, technically, and were in the know on business, but didn’t realize Katelyn held any sort of power. They knew she used to be an agent, and became a photographer for the modeling side, but that was it.

“Silent partner,” Katelyn said. “I helped her get this agency off the ground, and while she’s been playing diva, I’ve been silently amassing confidence from investors. I own 59% of the company almost controlling numbers. With her incapacitated that gives me control of her shares, and if the board votes to drop her, then I permanently take control over her shares and can do what I want with them, including giving them to Drew. There is a big ‘however’, though.” She looked at Sophie.

“I made her promise not to ruin her,” Sophie said. “As angry as I am right now. I want her side not her vapid bitching, I want to hear her story.”

“So if the board doesn’t agree to give Melissa a severance package, I’m forced by promise to let Melissa come back.” Katelyn sighed. “It’s going to be up to Sophie. We do this the honest way and the status quo may return, or we do this my way, and she’s out on her well toned, vapid ass. I’m angry too, and that’s why I’m trying to let Sophie be my guide here. Melissa fucked with my daughter after I told her not to.”

“Our.” Amanda giggled.

Katelyn hugged Sophie tight. “I’m going to go to the hospital and sort out Melissa’s insurance and things. She doesn’t have an adult next of kin, so as her business partner it falls to me, and then I’m going to call an emergency board meeting, I won't be able to see you off back to ireland for your two day vacation sweetie but I swear to you I will be waiting at that airport when you get back.”

“I’ll make sure.” Amanda added.

“Hey, where’s Cas and El?” Sophie asked. “I’m surprised they didn’t come running down here too.”

“They did, but their mum’s car broke down.” Megan giggled, “I totally spaced they told me to tell you.”

“I texted them that you’re okay,” Juliette said. “After I calmed down. You go take your time back home, Megan and I will still be here pestering the shit out of your cousins.” she grinned.

Sophie laughed. “I love you both. We just met, and already you’re like my best friends. Thank you.”

“We’re a year or so apart in age, but you’re a good person Sophie.” Megan said. “Who wouldn’t want to be your friend?”

~oOo~

“What the fook you doing back here?” one of the street girls asked Sophie as she approached her in the alleyway. “You should be in Hollywood golden girl.” she teased, hugging her.

“I had to come home for a couple days,” Sophie sighed. “I needed a breath of reality, remind myself the shit I got dragged out of, you know? Shit got bad, fast.”

“It’s not the same, and it’s only been 2 god damn days,” the girl giggled. “We got a shelter now. Richie is in charge of it. Hell we’re only hanging out here to spread the word.”

“So what happened that got bad?” Danny asked as he poked his head up.

“My birth twat.” Sophie stated. “She’s not my mother, she’s just the twat that squeezed me out. Bitch had the gall to blame me and then go on about all the horrible shit that happened to her after she fooking tried to kill me as a baby. And then, then she fooking stormed out, got in her car, and got in an accident that almost killed her so I’m feeling super guilty about that and... I just needed to see you guys again.”

“Good riddance, right?” Danny asked. The girl, Lisa, slugged him, hard.

“I dont want the twat to die.” Sophie sighed, “No matter how big of a bitch she is. I don’t fooking know what I want.”

“Well we’re glad you’re home,” Lisa said. “We could totally use your help getting the kids to open up and come to the shelter. Saint Margarets offered a tutor for all the kids there by the way.”

“They better,” Sophie said. “I just traveled halfway across the world all for them.”

Old Jim, the pub keeper that occasionally hung out in the alley, spoke up, causing them all to jump. “Sounds familiar,” he said thoughtfully. “Mum wantin’ her kids to appreciate all she’s done for em by not bein’ there.”

“Oh don’t you start too,” Sophie sighed. “I know how it looks.”

“Oh no no.” Jim laughed. “It’s fookin bullshit. A mother leavin her kids for any reason is bullshit. I’m on yer side, Soph.”

“And I left my family here, trusting they’d just believe my good word that this charity’s the real deal,” she said. “I’ve got to round em up, get em to listen, show em it’s not just blowin’ smoke up their arses like last time someone made grand promises to help us. I had the clan to fall back on. They don’t have that even.”

“Still, it turned out right as rain.” Lisa giggled. “You atta see the facilities we got. And you did come back. You were only gone two bloody days woman, not 7 fookin’ years.”

Jim grinned. “See, now there’s a lass with a head on her shoulders.”

Denny smiled, “Let’s take her.” he looked over at Lisa. Nicole wasn't too far away either, she was doing her job, and exactly what she told Sophie she’d do as a bodyguard: she gave her some distance.

She also knew where every face in the alley was. There was the friendly looking bartender sucking a pipe, the scruffy boy with arms like two telephone poles, the girl, and about a dozen urchins hanging off fire escapes or hiding in shadows, watching the scene play out.

She was ready for just about anything, even if she didn’t have her firearm. She didn’t need it to do her job, in the 4 years she’d been a bodyguard, she’d never had to use it anyway.

“Oh,” Sophie said, twirling a finger over her head. “All of you watching from the shadows, yes, it’s bloody me.” She pointed down the alleyway. “And that, is a genuine American bad-ass, and one of my new friends. Nick her pockets at yer bloody peril coz she knows Richie.” She giggled. “Actually I think Nicole is more than a friend, she’s my new big sister.”

Nicole, slightly annoyed at being outed, spoke up, “And if you need money just ask, guys. I’m an ex-US Special Forces soldier. I know how shit life can be on the streets. Been there for a bit right where you all are sitting in a different alleyway.” She took a handful of bills from her pocket. “No joke. I can always get more.”

A young girl, about 7 or so, cautiously emerged from behind a trash can and tiptoed closer, looking up at Nicole. She didn’t hold out her hand for money. She just stared up at her in awe. “You are Auntie Sophie's sister does that make you an auntie too?”

“Oh, um,” Nicole said, not expecting that. “I... Sure,” she said finally. “What’s your name?”

“Cassie.” The girl answered. “Can I be an american soldier?”

Nicole laughed a little as she knelt down and placed a whole ten euro note in the girl’s hand. “I don’t know if you want to be - it’s a rough life, but if that’s what you really want, kiddo, then you do that.”

The girl ran over to Sophie and handed her the bill, “Can you buy me a happy meal Auntie Sophie!?”

“Sure I can Cassie,” Sophie giggled as she gave the note back to her. “This one’s on me. Actually, guys, if you’ll all come back to Richie’s new shelter with me I’ll make sure you all get a good, hot meal - anything you want. Pizza, burgers, pickled beets, whatever.”

More of the kids emerged from the shadows.

“Really?” A girl about 10 spoke up.

“Thief’s honor,” Sophie teased her.

“You ain't tryin to poke us or anything right?” The girl asked.

“Guys,” Sophie said, “This is what I went through all this pain for, pulling up roots, going to America. Tourists are dumb. Y’all know that. They pay me ridiculous amounts of money to pose for a camera. And now, I’m taking care of you, because you all took care of me.”

Cassie giggled, “Silly Americans pay for pictures?”

“Lots of money,” Sophie said. “It’s called modeling. I’m the new face of a bunch of clothing lines. I make their clothes look good, and they pay me. It’s not just me though. The charity is getting big donations from everywhere. This is the real deal.”

“I want to be a soldier like Auntie Nicole, and then after I can be a model like Auntie Sophie.” Cassie stated firmly.

A few of the other kids laughed playfully at Cassie not to hurt her, but to acknowledge her. They all really took care of Cassie.

“Hey,” an older girl, about 14 finally spoke up. “If this is straight, no pork pies, for all of us, and not just you and your baby blues,” she grinned, “Then fuck yeah I’m in. No child service assholes right?”

“Not unless you want to talk to them.” Richie spoke up. “Got a deal with CPS. We’re all above the board, they’ll only come if you ask me to call em for ya. Otherwise you can live at the shelter as long as you want, get a good education if that’s what you want, or you can help me run the place. The only major rules are, you all have to help keep it clean, no drugs, and you all have a midnight curfew.”

“That’s for your own safety,” Sophie said. “You all know as well as I do how dangerous these streets are after dark. But in return, you get hot meals, a warm bed, and a second chance.”

“We just finished setting up all the bunk beds today.” Lisa stated, “We’ve got about 200 of them right now. That’s enough for all of you with plenty to spare. We also got a girls dorm area and a boys dorm area.”

“Just this morning,” Richie said, “I struck a deal with Our Lady of Virtue hospital to help anyone who’s addicted to any kind of drugs or alcohol. They are also willing to talk to you young ladies about other things.” he winked. “If you have an uncomfortable disease of any sort they’ll help you for free. But that’s true of any other disease,” he laughed. “I just wanted to make that one abundantly clear. They have a nurse on staff during the day at the shelter. They’ve also got a well stocked nurses office that is locked tight at night.” he winked. “Before you think you can walk in and steal drugs, they take them back at night.

Jim grinned as he spoke up. “If any of you are still having second thoughts, the wife is over there right now, mixing up a five hundred liter pot of her famous lamb stew for dinner tonight, not to take away from Soph’s offer of whatever-ya-want for lunch,” he added.

“Aye she’s a volunteer cook in the kitchen.” Richie stated. “I offered to put her on paid staff, but she refused. Oh and since we’re in the old Messive School building, we have a playground as well. And seeing as our first benefactor is a high falootin’ fashion model, there’s been enough new clothing donations to fit anyone. we got this bloody huge box yesterday, well more than one, but they were huge, full of new clothes. Sister Leigh from Margarets is at the shelter right now sorting them for you.”

“What was the name on the boxes?” Sophie asked.

“One of them was Calvin Klein.” He paused to laugh. “Oh you mean who sent it? Some woman named Melissa Winters,” he shrugged.

“Wow... Um, ‘scuse me a second,” Sophie said. She walked to the end of the alleyway and took out her phone. Amanda picked up.

“Hi sweetie. How’s Ireland?”

“Grand,” Sophie said. “Um, sorry to call you at this hour, but I was just talking to Richie... Melissa secretly donated a shit ton of clothes to the shelter here.”

“That’s a good thing, right?” Amanda asked.

“I guess so,” Sophie sighed. “I’m just feeling real conflicted. I mean first she says she hates kids, but then she goes and does something like that. I’m confused...”

“Melissa is... a complicated woman,” Amanda answered carefully. “It may be that somewhere in that batshit brain of hers, she genuinely wants to support the charity that her daughter created. I know you’re still upset and hurting right now. My advice is to just don’t let it get to you and enjoy your time there.”

Sophie exhaled slowly, and then began to smile. I’m just... Ugh. You’re right though. I’m going to the shelter, and then to St Margaret’s.”

“Take your time sweetie, we’ve put all our contracts on a temp hold.” Amanda stated. “You should go to classes while you’re there, you don’t have to but you should. It might help you.”

“That’s the plan,” Sophie said. “I’ve already missed enough morning classes, but I want to be there for afternoon, and then the whole day tomorrow.”

“I made sure to have Nicole bring your uniform by the way.” Amanda giggled. “So you have your school uniform.”

“Thanks Mom. Nicole has been just fucking amazing. Sorry for swearing, I know you want me to cut back but she has been an absolute rock,” she rambled. “She’s amazing.”

“You’re forgiven right now.” Amanda spoke. “It’s nice to have people who really care for you again huh?”

“Yeah,” Sophie said. She felt like if she leaned back right now, Nicole would catch her.

“Kate and I are worried about you, so be safe okay?” Amanda spoke, “We love you Sophie.”

“I love you too. I know it’s been two days, but it feels like a lifetime. I just want you guys to know how much you mean to me.”

“You know there’s this saying that kids change a relationship?” Amanda spoke, not sure if Sophie was still listening, “You made me and Kate closer as well Sophie, thank you sweetie.”

“I’ll call you again soon,” Sophie said, before hanging up. “Nicole?” she asked.

“Yes?” Nicole spoke up right behind her. Sophie leaned back and Nicole put her arms around her.

“Just checking,” she said, leaning her head back.

“I got you at all times.” Nicole stated.

Sophie turned around and put her arms around Nicole. She leaned to the side to see that everyone was staring. She grinned. “This is what I have now. This is what I want to share with you guys. People who care who are adults. We only had Richie at first, but there are others. Jim and his wife, the sisters of St. Margaret’s, the Lady of Virtue hospital volunteers... Guys, this is all for you.”

More of the kids in the alley came out slowly and a boy spoke up, “You sure the bloody DFS won’t take us?”

“If they try,” Sophie said, “They answer to her,” she pointed to Nicole, who, on cue, cracked her knuckles and put on her most menacing grin. A couple of them stepped back, but several cheered loudly.

“Sides kids.” Richie said, “We got two lawyers who volunteered and two on payroll. One of them works for Casidhe and Ellen’s mother.”

Whisper whisper. Everyone new Cas and Ellen. They always put on extra shows just for fun, because it helped the homeless kids. Everyone got a hot meal when Cas, El, and Sophie performed. All the younger kids called them Aunt Sophie, Aunt Cas and Aunt El.

Two boys came sprinting into the alleyway. They were out of breath and red-faced, about to collapse. “It is true!” one said to the other, excitedly. “She’s back! Auntie Sophie’s here!”

“You didn’t think I’d stay gone for long did you?” Sophie grinned. “I had to make sure you all listened to Uncle Richie about the new safe house. It’s not like the other shelters. Nobody will take you away from there. Legally they can’t touch you.”

“Nope if you’re at the shelter, me and Annlee you all know her right?” Richie looked around, Annlee was a 18 year old girl who got off the streets last year because someone offered her a free ride at college. “We have what they call custody of any one using our shelter.”

“What about if we leave the shelter?” a 14 year old girl asked.

“You are permitted to leave during the day.” Richie stated. “We’ll have cards that you will carry if you’re a resident of the shelter like an ID.”

The children parted like the red sea before Moses as a woman wearing a police uniform stepped into the alley. She smiled and tipped her hat respectfully as she passed, stopping when she reached Richie, Nicole and Sophie.

“A little birdie told me you hadn’t convinced everyone that it was safe just yet,” she said. “Well, I’m here to set the record straight,” she said with a grin.

“Working on it.” Sophie giggled.

“Okay kids, as long as you stop nicking people and busking in permitted areas without a permit, and you carry around the shelters ID card, you will never have an issue with the local police.” The woman stated.

“Yeah, and who are you toppa,” a boy from the safety of the fire escape jeered down.

“I am actually a detective now.” She smiled at the boy. “And my husband is a sargent. As a few of you might have heard, two police officers spoke up favorably for Miss Sophie Dee when the matter of her legal guardianship came up. I was one of those officers. I really believe that you kids can get off the street and be whatever you want, so much so I also volunteer on my days off at the shelter’s kitchens now. So not only do you have Richie, the lawyers, and all that, you got a bloody detective on your side now.”

The children, from floor to rooftops, shared glances. The kids hiding up on the fire escapes slowly came down, and the ones on rooftops followed shortly.

One of the young boys smiled, “I want to be a toppa.” he stuck his tongue out at the boy who gave the woman a hard time.

“All you have to do is finish school and then apply at the academy. There’s no cost to apply, and no cost for your schooling,” she said. “If any of you decide to go that route I’ll even throw in a letter of recommendation as long as you stay clean and go to school at the shelter or at a public school of your choice.”

“... ‘kay, I guess,” the boy who had razzed her said. “But you aint taking us to jail right?” as he climbed down slowly.

She laughed. “Nope. I won’t be taking any of you anywhere. I have to leave again soon, but Richie, he’ll show you where it is, and I’ll see you at supper tomorrow.” About 85 kids followed Sophie and Richie to the shelter, that was the entire alleyway.

When they arrived Annlee was there, she was cleaned up, but all the older kids knew her well. She was always momma Ann to them even if she was still a kid herself.

“Sophie Dee,” Anniee grinned. “My God girl, you look like you knocked over a Macy’s store,” she teased as she hugged her tight. “You clean up better than I do.” she motioned to the fact she still had dreadlocks.

“Come work for the agency,” Sophie laughed. “They’ll be happy to cut those things off,” she teased.

“Hell no kiddo.” Annlee laughed, “These things are what make people recognize me. I’m first year into my bachelors degree in business anyway. I still can’t believe this is real though. Richie and I have two private rooms which also work as our offices.” she showed Sophie those first, “The kids can come to either of us at any time.” she led Sophie down the hall.

“Boys Dorm is on the right and the Girls Dorm is on the left, 200 bunk beds in each dorm area.” she led them further into the large school building. “We’ve got two rooms setup as classrooms with only one in operation.” she pointed out that the sister was in there with two kids already.

“Ah, just one moment,” the elderly nun said, grinning. She turned to step out, giving Sophie a hug. “Bless you, child,” she said warmly. “You have the heart of the savior.”

“No ma’am,” Sophie said. “I just wanted to help the people who saved me.”

“Thank you Sister,” AnnLee smiled at her. “To continue the tour, the nurses office.” she opened the door, it was a nice office, with lots of equipment. “Here we have the library and a massive computer lab, the computers were donated to us by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Apple generously donated iPads for each student who enrolls, too. We’ve seriously got like 20 boxes of them.” she giggled.

“Jesus Christ,” Sophie said.

“They’re not allowed to leave the Shelter though.” AnnLee stated. “Nor are the books from the library, which the Galway public library system generously donated to us. We kept the gym but converted it into the Mess, this is where everyone gathers to eat, breakfast, lunch and dinner. It’s rough right now, still under construction.”

AnnLee hugged Sophie again. “You may not have meant for all this to snowball like it has, but you started it. You did more in two days than I could hope to do in a lifetime.”

“AnnLee can I talk to you in private?” Sophie asked.

“Sure,” AnnLee said. “We can use the library. Nobody’s in there right now.”

Sophie brought up the charity budget numbers on her cellphone like Casidhe showed her, and handed the phone to AnnLee, “This is what I have to work with for you guys. That is my personal donations and a bunch of others. Mine is per photo shoot. On top of the computers, Microsoft and Apple donate 1/3 of the ‘mount I donate. And Megan Stuart donates money, Disney matches her donations, AMC matches her donations as well, and we have 6 fashion magazines that also donate.”

AnnLee stared in absolute stunned silence, so Sophie continued. “It’s snowballed so damn far it’s the size of Pluto. I’m starting to wonder if this should be a global charity, or at least the UK and North Ireland as well around The Republic here.”

“Aya,” AnnLee said finally. “Yeah, I... Jesus girl. You never did anything small did you?”

“I met my birth mother yesterday morning and almost got her killed,” Sophie said honestly. “So, nope go big or go home should be my new motto. But this is getting way out of my ability to even comprehend.”

“You want me to take over the books Sophie?” AnnLee got the hint.

“I trust Katelyn and Amanda, but they’ve got their hands full dealing with my birth mother’s accident. She was the fooking CEO of my modeling agency, and now shit’s flying apart at the seams there, and I’ve got all this money coming in and I need someone who knows what they’re doing, and,” she was going a mile a minute now.

AnnLee giggled and kissed Sophie softly on the lips to shut her up, “I got it for you baby girl. I’ll do the charity books from now on, just give me the access information.”

Sophie almost burst into tears again. “God damit what is wrong with me. I’m not even on hormones and I’m crying constantly lately,” she sighed. “Thank you Momma Ann.”

“The booster.” Nicole stated. “You start the hormones tomorrow, but it might have been the booster shot.” she had been quiet the entire time Annlee had almost forgotten Nicole was there.

“Jesus fuckin’ christ,” AnnLee said. “ Are you part cat?” she laughed.

“Yes part Mountain Lioness.” Nicole grinned.

Sophie giggled. “Sorry. Nicole, AnnLee, AnnLee, Nicole. She’s my bodyguard, my big sister, and my best friend in one. And also a Mountain Lioness. And ex special forces.”

“Oh holy shit!” AnnLee said. “You’re THE Nicole! Richie talks a lot about you. I didn’t think you would be that tall though.. You know guys and their stories.”

Nicole grinned. “I bet he didn’t tell you about the four great big american...” She stopped herself.

“Oh, yeah he did,” AnnLee giggled loudly.

Richie came into the hallway, “Four Great Big American Titties.” he said in a russian accent.

Nicole did something that Sophie had never seen yet. She burst out laughing, really, really hard. “God damn you Richie,” she managed to get out between gasps.

“Cousin do you want to bowlink?” He said in the same accent.

“You’re going to fucking make me pee,” Nicole giggled. Now that they were mostly alone and she didn’t have to keep her guard up, she was letting Sophie see her human side, especially as she walked up and hugged him.

“Missed you one shot.” Richie grinned and hugged her back.

“One shot?” Sophie asked.

“That was the Marine motto, but Nikki outdid them,” Rich said, grinning. “Not even exaggerating, she once took out three enemy contacts with one bullet. That’s how she got the nickname.”

“One shot one kill’s a fucking waste of ammo,” Nicole grinned. “That was also the luckiest shot in the history of Delta force.”

“Rumor has it, she's taken out 6 with one.” Richie winked. “It’s unconfirmed. The 3 in one is confirmed. I got it on helmet cam.”

“Bullet pierced one’s heart, ricocheted out into the second, somehow passed right through him and into the third. The fourth thought they were under fire by multiple snipers and bugged out with a trail of piss behind him.”

“You’re in good hands Soapy.” Richie smiled and ruffled Sophie’s hair a little.

“Yeah, I am,” Sophie beamed at Nicole. “Every time this week I’ve had some stupid half-baked idea in my head... Which okay I’ll grant is only one so far, but she was there. She fookin’ flew me to Ireland because I wanted to go.”

“Anytime you have time and want to come back here, I’ll be happy to come.” Nicole said. “I wanted to see Richie Rich. You wanted to come. It’s win win.”

“Why aren’t you two dating?” Sophie asked, “You are about the same age aren’t you?”

Nicole shook her head. “I’m poison kiddo.”

“Same here.” Richie laughed. “I got the luck of a banshee when it comes to women. Nicole and I are best friends, and that’s what we agreed it will always stay as.”

Nicole nodded. “I don’t know if you know this,” she said, “But I have serious PTSD. What we saw fucked us up, and it’s only gotten worse.”

“Same here.” Richie stated. “It’s all that shit we did. Stick with Sophie Dee, it’ll be good for you.” he hugged Nicole again. “That girl there, is the brightest star In the sky.”

“I’m not Vanessa,” Sophie said with a grin, finally letting on that she had been awake the entire time they had that conversation the other night. Nicole laughed.

“No joke though, there’s a star out there that’s named after her.” Richie winked. “Sophie Dee came to the streets of Galway dressed in nice clothes had no clue her right from her left, but it didn’t take her long to shine.”

“You know,” Nicole said, “She used krav maga on a cop yesterday.”

“I teach the girls Krav maga.” Richie grinned. “I also teach them street fighting, like I taught you.”

“Besides that was an accident,” Sophie protested. “I was in full on panic mode.”

“Good fucking thing you didn’t teach her everything,” Nicole laughed. “I had to use a reverse grapple to grab her before she hurt herself.”

“She didn’t have the patience to learn all of it.” Richie laughed. “Like any bright star, she had other things to do besides learn martial arts from an old american soldier who talked to much.”

“Speaking of talking, I’m going to change into my uniform and head over to St. Margaret’s. There’s some shit I need to deal with in my head space, and I’m not sure even God can help me, but I gotta try.”

“Going to attend classes?” Nicole asked, “If so I will be there right after classes, I trust you to get there, because this is your turf.”

Sophie nodded and hugged Nicole. “After I talk to someone about Melissa, yeah, I want to attend classes, pay my respects and stuff since they’ve been so kind to me, and I’ve like blown them off two days in a row.”

up
174 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A rare treat.

Monique S's picture

let me tell you that I fecking love your story it is absolutely marvellous, so rare to find such a host of well worked out lovable charcters. I am becoming a great fan,

seriously,
Monique xxx

Monique S

Melissa was warned

Samantha Heart's picture

Very defiant warning from Amanda about Sophie not to hurt he, she did it TWICE in a row. The second time was the vehicle accident she got her self into, buy flying like a well BOOH (if your not familiar with who or what BOOH is then please read Mark Kain's circle of Hell books there are currently 7 of them they are funny adult orented & you will figure out BOOH, sorry for the plug, but I like his books) I don't blame Sophie for going back to Ireland she needed the emerald aisle she needed to be back home where she grew up & help the shelter get the kids in there to help them like they helped her. Foing to talk to one of her therapist about her mum & what happened & how Sophie feels about it all.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.