Rio's Bargain - 3. Roshambo, Mon Amour

Printer-friendly version

Rio is a boy, just ask and she'll tell you it's true

Rio's Bargain

Rio's Bargain

3. Roshambo, Mon Amour

by Lulu Martine

We finally found Naomi's van. She hadn't parked it in the near lot after all. Monica and Jennifer played Roshambo for who got shotgun, and Monica won, of course. She always wins that game. It's like she really can read minds or something.

Jennifer got in the back with Gwen and me, the two shorties, but she took the very back seat and sat sideways, pouting a bit. Still annoyed at losing the shotgun seat, I guessed. She pulled out her phone again, and from the sound of it was playing some bubble-bursting game on it.

Naomi maneuvered the van through the student lot, where people mostly parked wherever instead of there being lines drawn. Part of it wasn't even paved, but it wasn't raining, at least. "Why is it called Roshambo?" she asked. "Rock-Paper-Scissors makes sense as a name."

"It's from some old Japanese movie, 'Roshambo, Mon Amour.' It's about these two French guys on a desert island, and they have to decide who gets to eat who by playing the game," Monica told her. She had her phone out, too, but wasn't looking at it.

"Huh," said Naomi. "I never knew that."

"You still don't," I said.

"Shut up, Brooke," said Monica, then we all laughed, but I wasn't sure why I was.

"What's with 'Brooke?" Jennifer asked from the back seat. "I thought your nickname was Rio?"

"It is," I said, but Gwen talked over me.

"Rio means river in Spanish," she said, "and Mr. Finson--"

"Hinson," I said.

"--Mr. Hinson says she's not big enough to be a river--she'll have to be a Brooke."

More laughter.

"Ha, ha," I said.

"And she's got him, like, twisted around her fingers, cause he, like, changed her grade to give her an A on the assignment."

I couldn't deny that--well, the pronoun part, I could. But instead, I said, "He made me stand up for almost half the period, and he called me Miss Russell cause he can't say Riordan--which isn't hard to say, it's just hard to spell. And he's a pig cause I caught him staring at my ass!"

"Well, Brooke," said Monica, as if it were a perfectly reasonable thing to say. "You don't have any tits to stare at." And she used her phone to point at my chest.

"Argh!" I said while they all laughed again. I did have little boobies all wrapped up in a stretch bandage, but only my Mom and my doctors knew about those.

"You are pretty flat-chested, Brooke," said Jennifer. "Just saying--it ain't no bad thing."

"I'm a guy!" I protested. "Everybody keeps forgetting that." More laughs, like that might have been the funniest thing I had said all day.

But Jenny looked puzzled, and I remembered she was a late addition to our group and hadn't been with us all semester, so maybe she didn't know I was a boy. I poked Gwen, "Tell Jennifer I'm a guy," I said.

"Oh," said Gwen. "Brooke is totally a guy--I've seen her dong. It's like, huge!" Naomi stopped the van, she was laughing so hard.

"Argh!" I said again.

When they all stopped laughing, Monica put in, "No, my sister works with her at the Swedish coffee place. She really is a guy," she reached back over the seat and slapped me on the knee. "Aren't you, Brooksie?"

I nodded, then shook my head. Brooksie?

"Which is it?" asked Jennifer. "Are you one of those transboys, a girl who wants to be a guy?"

"No," I said. "I'm a boy, I just... It's not easy to explain."

"So you pee standing up? Hey, I've seen you in the girls' restroom."

Well, I didn't pee standing up--that would get messy because of my penis being short and kind of odd-shaped with pee coming out of it backward. But I wasn't going to mention that either.

"Look at her," said Gwen. "If she went into a boys' bathroom, what do you think would happen?"

Jenny answered right away. "They'd throw HER out or beat HIM up."

I'd actually been thrown out of more boys' bathrooms than I'd ever used at high school. I sighed. But I hadn't been beaten up even once. They laughed at me when I tried to tell them I was a boy and that hurt.

"Well, it's confusing, you guys keep saying 'she' and 'her,' and I'm not sure someone isn't pulling my leg," Jenny protested.

"It's just easier," said Naomi. "We don't want the guys to know she's not a girl."

"None of the guys know?" Jennifer asked.

She got four shrugs, including one from me, in answer.

Naomi had reached the street and was looking both ways. "Hey guys, where do we wanna go eat? I'm hungry."

"Uh," I said. "Can we go by my place? I need my dark glasses, and I left them in my backpack."

"C'mon, Brooke," said Monica. "You know you don't have enough food in your house to feed all five of us."

"I've got a pair of sunglasses you can borrow," said Jenny. "But, uh, you know you're wearing girls' glasses now?"

"They were practically free. Some charity keeps bins of them and an optician to sort them by prescription, so they gave me these for like, three dollars."

"They probably thought you were a girl, too," said Gwen.

"I guess," I admitted.

"So, Perky's okay with everyone?" Naomi asked. No one objected, and since Jenny was handing me a pair of dark glasses, I didn't really need to go by my house. Naomi pulled out and headed away from the freeway.

I took off my prescription glasses and put on the sunglasses Jenny offered. "Thanks," I said. "I get terrible headaches from the sun, even behind clouds." Now everything looked slightly blurry, but I felt safer. The glasses were cat's-eye shape with hot pink frames, but I refused to cringe. I put my other glasses in my coat pocket.

"They might get broken there," Jenny noted. "You ought to put them in your purse." She looked around. "Where is it?"

"I don't have a purse," I explained.

"You don't carry a purse? Why not?"

"I'm a guy, remember?"

"That's...ridiculous." She threw up her hands. "I give up."

*

Perky's is an all-day breakfast place and serves lunch stuff at breakfast, too. So everybody could get whatever they wanted. All I ordered was water, thinking about Mom having to buy a car, but it turned out I was the only one who had had any breakfast at all, even if it was only half a banana.

Everyone else ordered big meals, and when the food came, I ended up with a spare plate loaded with an odd assortment of things--some french fries, an onion ring, a slice of tomato, and a wedge of french toast. I wasn't sure I could eat all of it, but it smelled good, and I wanted to try.

Perky's onion rings are huge--six inches across and almost two inches thick, an order is only three of them--and they are best when they're hot, so I started on that first.

"How many people at school know Brooke's secret?" Jenny asked. Four shrugs, again including me. She sighed. "I can't believe I've been hanging with you guys for two months and did not know this."

"You're convinced now?" asked Gwen. We were in one of the big booths, Jenny and Naomi on one side and us three shorties on the other, me in the middle.

"I guess," Jenny admitted, looking at me.

"Aw," said Monica in a fake hillbilly accent. "We was just funnin' you."

We all laughed so hard the manager stared at us for a minute before deciding we were harmless. I waved at him, and he smiled at me.

Gwen poked me. "Look at her," she said to the others. "She just charmed that stuffed shirt over there with a smile. He must be forty."

Monica poked me on the other side. "Hey, leave some guys for us to flirt with, why don't you?"

"Stoppit, stoppit!" I said. "I'm ticklish!"

"We know," said Monica, but they only poked me once more each.

It took me a moment to catch my breath.

"So, look," said Jenny. "This is stupid."

Gwen nodded as if she understood what Jenny meant.

"I mean, look at yourself, Brooke," Jenny went on. "No one thinks you're a guy. I bet you get hit on as much as any of us. More because you really are pretty. And those eyes. You're a girl. You were obviously meant to be a girl."

"Huh?" I said with a piece of tomato in my mouth. I'd eaten half of the French toast wedge with syrup and wanted to get the sweetness out of my mouth.

"It doesn't seem to bother you most of the time. Everyone calls you 'she' and 'her' and 'Miss Russell' and now you've got a real girl's name--Brooke."

"Not my idea," I pointed out. The fries looked good, but I was kind of feeling full.

"I know, but you're not throwing a fit about it," she said. "You're not screaming at people or telling them you hate them for treating you like a girl."

"Huh?" I said. "Why would I do that?"

"Brooksie isn't like that at all," said Monica. "She's a sweet girl."

"Argh," I said, rolling my eyes. "Monica, you're not even trying to help."

"Help with what?" she countered.

"Look," said Jenny. "I'm just saying is all. I can't look at you and not see a girl."

"I'm wearing boy's clothes," I pointed out.

"I get that. I think I even get that you don't really want to be a girl, but I think that ship sailed."

I shrugged.

Gwen looked thoughtful. "Part of Brooke's problem is that she doesn't think she could afford to be a girl."

I looked at her suspiciously.

"She'd need a whole new wardrobe and everything."

"Hey! It's not like I don't know how to shop. If I wanted to be a girl, I could make it happen. But why? What one thing would I gain by being a girl?"

Jenny opened her mouth, but nothing came out.

"You've already got awesome friends," Monica pointed out.

"A boyfriend? I mean...." Jenny trailed off.

"Ppff! How many of you have boyfriends?" I asked.

"Well, I'm sure none of us have boyfriends because you are a much better flirt than any of us. And since you ain't available--you turn everyone down--they get discouraged and go away," Gwen explained it all.

"It's true, Brooke. You're a hell of a flirt," said Monica, looking around me at Gwen, apparently admiring a nice bit of snark.

I moved my head from one to the other--they were on either side of me. "I am not! I don't flirt, I just smile. That's not flirting.... Is it?"

Naomi started to laugh, and pretty soon, we had all broken up over the idea.

*

Of course, we went to the mall right after eating. Some of the stores were just opening up. It was barely eleven, so we had the whole place almost to ourselves. The wide tiled halls had a neat echo that made the place feel even emptier. I switched back to my own glasses, once we were inside, putting the dark ones Jenny had loaned me into a pocket.

The phones had all come out again, except Gwen still wasn't using hers, and she hadn't while we were eating either. It wasn't like her, mostly she acted like the thing was attached to her hand, so maybe she had forgotten it at home? I didn't ask, but I wondered. I hadn't heard it ring in her purse either.

We passed several shops and the girls admired things like mini-dresses, jewelry and shoes but we didn't go in anywhere, and no one seemed in a hurry to find something to buy. Maybe they were all broke too, but lunch had cost them twelve bucks each, since they split it evenly four ways, letting me freeload. I tried not to feel bad about that.

"I still don't have any money I can spend," I mentioned. "Mom has to buy a car, and we need groceries. I made my sisters butter-and-pickle sandwiches for their lunch bags today 'cause that is, like, almost the last food we have in the house."

Monica rubbed her thumb and index finger together close to her ear.

"Yeah, yeah," I said. "You guys didn't need to hear that. It just gets me down sometimes."

Jennifer angled over and hugged me around my shoulders. "You're so short!" she said. Jenny is like five-nine or ten.

"What's...what's that got to do with anything?"

"You're like one of my little sisters," Jenny said. "So cute!"

"Argh!"

"You should meet her little sister," said Monica. "She's like ten and as big as Brooke."

"Colleen's eight, and no, she's not as big as me."

"You said she was stronger."

"Well, she is that," I admitted. "She's a bully, too."

They all laughed.

"Seriously?" asked Jenny. "You get beat up by an eight-year-old?"

I put out my arm, made a fist and flexed. It made absolutely no difference. Giggling, everyone else copied my move. It turned out, only Naomi could make any real muscle.

"Jeez," she complained. "Now I'm like all self-conscious. Thanks a lot, guys!"

After we laughed at that, we stopped at a kiosk and looked at cheap jewelry. No one bought anything, but some of it was pretty cute.

"I've got an idea," said Jenny.

"Uh, oh," said Gwen. "Jenny's thinking again."

"We still haven't got the stains out from last time," said Monica.

"We should make it easier for Brooke to decide to be a girl," said Jenny ignoring them.

"Huh?" I said, realizing she was talking about me.

"She never has any money, so she really can't afford to change her wardrobe or buy cosmetics or jewelry."

"Wait a minute," I said. "Wait, wait...."

"I see where you're going with this," said Gwen. "But we ain't rich either."

"It doesn't have to be much. Each of us just spent twelve on lunch. Keep it to no more than that, huh?"

"No," I said. "I hate the idea."

"I could start it," offered Jenny. "Beginner's earrings with free piercing are on sale here for only nine dollars, and half price for a second set...someone else could go in...."

My hands flew to my earlobes. "No! Just no!"

They all laughed. Jenny shrugged. "Eh, it was just an idea. You'd look so cute with a pair of those red, heart-shaped studs."

"I'm too cute already," I complained. That got more laughs.

"Speaking of studs," said Naomi, indicating with a head tilt what direction she meant. "Take a look at the two shoe salesmen."

We all did. They were nice-looking guys, tall with wide shoulders, lean faces, and nice haircuts. They were well-dressed, too — California business casual, broadcloth shirts, and sweater vests. But guys or girls did nothing for me, so I just shrugged.

Monica and Jennifer made noises back in their throats, though, and headed that direction. "Let's look at some shoes," said Naomi, smirking and following the other two.

"We're going to look at shoes," said Gwen, taking my arm.

"Okay," I agreed. Why not? "I'm still broke, though."

"Eh," said Gwen. "Looking costs, like, nothing."

The two men--boys really, they might have been a year or two older than us, though I was the oldest in our group--the two sales guys were all smiles and greetings and calling us ladies and complimenting us on our looks or fashion sense.

"They're trying too hard," I remarked to Gwen. I was wearing baggy jeans, rundown sneakers, and my corduroy coat, hardly a fashion plate. Gwen nodded and sidestepped around them. We browsed along one wall where they had a lot of athletic shoes laid out.

I glanced down at my feet. My old sneaks were almost to the falling apart stage, one of them actually had a piece of duct tape holding two halves of the sole together. I usually had to shop in the boy's department for shoes, adult sizes of men's shoes not being small enough. Heck, I shopped there for almost everything.

But this was a women's shoe store. No men's or boy's shoes at all. Still, some of the athletic shoes looked like they might be small enough to fit, and not all the styles were super girly or even very girly at all. But they were still out of my reach, price-wise.

"Hey, Brooke," said Gwen. "Look at these." She had stopped at a display of suede hi-top sneakers, kind of handsomely clunky-looking, in several different colors from black, brown, and gray to red, blue, and green.

I shrugged. "Cute?" I suggested.

"They've got hidden wedge heels inside," she held a pair so I could see. "They add four inches to your height, and no one sees your wearing heels."

I gasped. I took one of the shoes to examine. It was a well-made shoe, and you could not tell it had a built-in high-heel. "Four inches taller!"

"You wanna try them on?" she asked. "What size do you wear?"

"Uh, a two or three in kids' sizes," I admitted.

"I think that's a four or five in women's shoes," she said. "The sales guy would know." She waved to attract one of them. "Hey, and they come in this bright aqua-blue, like your eyes."

"Gwen," I protested weakly. "They're fifty-five dollars a pair."

She pointed at the lower half of the sign. "Marked down to thirty-seven. If we all chipped in ten like Jenny was talking about, we could buy them for you."

The salesman came over. "Ladies? You want to try on some shoes?" He grinned at us.

"Brooke wants to know, do you have these in a four-and-a-half or five? The blue?"

"I believe so," he said, moving to the wall to look over the boxes.

I hadn't said anything because I couldn't talk without air. I wanted those shoes.

up
181 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I learned something new.

WillowD's picture

Since kids have smaller feet than adults I would have thought that when converting a kid's shoe size to a woman's that the number would go down. Instead, it goes up 1.5. Go figure.

And I am so loving this story. Thanks.

Kids' Men's and Women's shoe sizes

The base for men's and kids' larger size shoes is a half-inch larger than for women's sizes. That's 1.5 sizes. (I had to look this up.) Men's sizes generally start at 6 or 7 and women's at 4 or 5. Anything smaller generally has to be bought as kids' sizes.

Thanks for loving the story.

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

Here in the UK ...

... there are (or certainly were long, long ago when I was a child and Big Ben was a wrist watch) two size ranges fir children and adults (same size numbers for male and female btw). IIRC child's sizes went up to 13 and then back to size 1 in the grown ups range. Of course we use European sizes now and we may even after we leave the EU and they are a continuous size range.

I wonder why it's so unnecessarily complicated?

Anther odd story from Lulu. I wonder what the inside of her head looks like? Probably somethin like the Hampton Court maze ;) Though this one is normal compared to her other 2 that are ongoing. We should be grateful.

R

Choos

Organic systems tend to be unnecessarily complicated. Like 16 ounces to the pound or 12 ounces that are not the same size to the pound of something else. I'm sure shoe sizes were originally even more complicated with every cobbler having their own system and even then probably not logical or consistent.

Early guilds probably did some standardization, then Napolean forced the metric system on Europe but English speaking types did not bow. Later, it made economic sense for Britain and the Commonwealth to change but the USA was a big enough market just on its own to not yield. So far.

And if you think this story is odd, you should see the two I wrote here originally. LOL.

Thanks for commenting.

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

Organic systems develop out

Organic systems develop out of use - that's the part that people don't realize when they start screaming about converting from one system to another.

The Metric system is actually pretty cumbersome for day to day use. The people that developed it were French scientists/scholars, and it was likely deemed to be too cumbersome to use for average workers, so it ended up being discarded. When Napoleon took control, he put out a LOT of feelers and contests to find things to make the French 'not' English. - Thus it was dug out of the discard pile and presented as being "French". (Apparently he felt that the Imperial measurement system was English, despite it going back to beyond the Roman/Greek Empire. Nobody ever denied he was delusional)

It's like non-English, and countries that were more decimalized, not understanding that the number of pennies in a shilling, and shillings in a pound, were logically based on the value of the metal in the coins. X amount of copper to the silver shilling, and X amount of silver to the gold pound. (the pre-decimal penny was actually even marked 'd' for denarius, rather than the cent symbol)

The important thing about a measurement system isn't how 'perfect' it is. It's that people understand it. Thus the Imperial system evolved with a 'foot' being roughly the size of a man's foot in a shoe. A 'yard' is roughly the distance from shoulder to tip of the arm. (Clothyard shafts, a-la Robin Hood, are called this because measuring cloth by the yard, even when I was growing up, was often done by pinching the cloth in one hand, then pulling it back to the opposite shoulder. )

12's and 16's are prevalent in Imperial, for very good reasons. 1) They go back to Sumerian and Babylonian times. 2) 16 is an easy number for fractions by halves. 12 is an easy number for fractions by thirds. People think in fractions, NOT in decimals. We _learn_ to use decimals, but they aren't really natural, even with ten fingers. (I'm waiting for some idiot to come up with the idea that degrees now need to be changed to 100, because 360 is such an unnatural number. That, and for us to end up with a 10 hour day, made up of 100 seconds per minute, 100 minutes per hour. Oh, and to modify the earth's orbit to be 100 days of equal lengths of day and night.)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I can't add anything to this

Except to note perhaps that a lot of organic systems are determined by historical accident, too. And puns. Seriously, a lot of old unit names are punning. Inch meant one-twelfth but also meant "a pinch".

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

Oh, yeah. Mark Twain - it

Oh, yeah. Mark Twain - it means two fathoms deep. (second knot on a sounding lead)

One difficulty people have is the sheer variety of non-metric measurements. Many being trade specific, such as carat, dram, peck, tun, etc.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Unless...

... they are talking money, then everyone understands the decimal system! (kind of ironic, right?)

Old schoolers (yes, some still exist even in my generation) still think in that antiquated "imperial" system. But most kids these days have NO IDEA what an inch is. Add to this the simplicity of the metric system.... 5100 cc (cubic centimetres) are equal to 5.1 l (litres); a mere matter of moving a decimal point.

Most kids (and many adults) these days TOTALLY FAIL in fractions. (unless they are pot heads, then you can explain it to them in "ounce fractions:)

The main reason why the US never converted was that the big businesses (that rule the country in fact) thought that the financial outlay for commercial conversion would cost them in the billions. Remember, most of these business come out with "new" versions of their products yearly.

And for those of you stuck in the good old days? Well how would you like to consider the REST of the "good old days" where crossdressers, transvestites and transgenders were all considered as gay, or taking a horse driven wagon to work, or being stuck with the "social standard" short, romanesque haircuts?

Change is inevitable; to reject it means you cannot learn or grow.

Cost of change

The US is a big enough market that there was not enough benefit to commercial interests to make a big change. This was also true and even more so for the British Empire which was also slow to change and only did so as British ties to Continental markets increased faster than the ties with the remains of the Empire. Changing after all, also opened up your market to outsiders.

But for Europe, each country having an independent system made no sense, especially after Napolean forced the change on France and his conquests. With a unified system, Europe had the clout to influence others into converting. A few stuck with a US/British system that was equal in power to Europe but has faded with the dissoulution of Empire.

Metric continues to make inroads but in some places, it just isn't as good. Traditional shoe sizes are more precise than metric sizes, for instance: a traditional half-size is a smaller increment than a half-centimeter.

Thanks for commenting.

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

snicker

And I don't think Rio realizes that yet.

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

The girls seem to be listening

Podracer's picture

- but not? It seems to be more fun for them to have "Brooke" as a project gal.
I don't fall in love with shoes. The black suede chelseas don't count, hah, being a boot, so there.

"Reach for the sun."

Well

These aren't shoes, they are hi-top sneakers. Just ask Rio.

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

Rio's probably thinking of

Rio's probably thinking of the height advantage it will give him, while the girls are probably thinking it will give her a more girly stride.

That, too

But not directly, I think the girls are going to be enamored of the idea of Rio wearing shoes that match her eyes. So cute! Heh.

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

Rio is very likeable

Enemyoffun's picture

He's spunky and fun, I'm really enjoying this story a lot :).

He is, isn't he?

Maybe my most likable main character so far. Not whiny like Lulu or Margaret, not a manipulator like Oliver nor a victim Like Bonnie or Fillup (no one mentioned the pun in the name of the hero of Dairy Boy, so I'm having to spell it out.)

Thanks for the comment. I'm going to try to keep Rio spunky and fun.

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

One thing named

Nyssa's picture

Shoooooes! Brooke (seems that name is going to stick) did challenge them to name one thing to be gained by being a girl... Your honor, I offer into evidence cute shoes.

I'm also hoping she gets talked into at least trying on a pair of truly girly shoes. Or maybe, like a secret BOGO sale?

I'm laughing

There's a lot to be said for cute shoes. I admit to having no more than forty pair myself, though some of them I hardly ever wear. We'll see what happens on the girlier front next chapter.

Thanks for commenting.

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

40? You mean just in red, right?

Nyssa's picture

It's not how often you wear them, it's how perfect they will be for some future event or outfit.

Right

I have a pair of four-inch wedges just waiting for me to find the perfect cowgirl skirt.

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

: )

; )

alissa

LOL

I take it you like the story and the humor.

Thanks for the cure comment.

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

Truth unbelieveable

Jamie Lee's picture

The girls are actually protecting Rio because of how he looks. They even told Jenny why and the truth. What does Rio have to do for Jenny to believe the truth she's been told, drop his pants and give her an eye full?

Now to the women's sneakers they showed Rio, and asked the salesman about. Why does Rio want those shoes, as he said? He said his sneakers are almost falling apart, that one is being held together with duct tape. So does he want those sneakers because he really needs a new pair or because as Jenny has been saying, Rio is a girl and doesn't know it?

Any kid living in Rio's circumstances would be thrilled to get clothing and shoes they could only dream about.

So is it the need for new shoes or a girl feeling he has?

Others have feelings too.

Really good questions

Let's see if we can deal with them in the next episode: "Rockin' Those Blue Suede Shoes".

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine