Marti and the Doppelganger – A Follow Up, or What Happened to Those Raccoons, Anyway - Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

Marti and the Doppelganger – A Follow Up,

or What Happened to Those Raccoons, Anyway

By Portia Bennett

 
Introduction: This story is a third, the penultimate, in a series within a series. The overall series is the “Cynthia Chronicles”. This story is directly connected to “Simoné and the Second Time Around” and “Marti and the Doppelganger”. The latter left many unanswered questions. Some of those will be answered, some probably not. There are many references to previous stories in the series. If you are confused by some of them, just put it off to my senility. The Cynthia Chronicles takes place in a universe very similar to ours. Unfortunately, it might be too similar.

For any who read “Myrna and the Genetic Disaster”, this is the same story, only with the political rantings and scientific explanations removed. There may also have been a few edits and additions.

This submission will be in ten parts. All are completed. Any errors are mine and I will gladly accept constructive criticism; as long as you’re nice.

The story begins with The Wizard meeting with the raccoon family we met in the previous story, “Marti and the Doppelganger.” This story is also a follow up to the stories of Wanda, Tamesha, Penny, and Sidney. We only know what happened to Sidney. We haven’t actually met Sidney until now.

 


This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 
 

 


CHAPTER 1. The Procyon Family

“I’m sorry, Sir, do we know you?”

“Well, not directly. I am a good friend of Rhonda McKenzie.”

“Anyone could say that. Look, you are scaring the wife and children. That’s not very nice.”

“Do you remember Marti and Lanu?” the robed man asked.

“Well, yes. We could converse with them quite easily. I explained to Lanu that my name was not Ricky; that it was a bit silly. I think I said it was prosaic. Rhonda always called me that, I just couldn’t get it across to her that I was not a cartoon character.”

“How did you know that ‘Ricky’ was a cartoon character?”

“I think that was before Misty was born. Yes, that’s right. She was born before the people cleared the roads. We’d set up housekeeping in a cabin up the way. That was five years ago; the year of that big snow. The owners had left quite a bit of food, and for some reason they’d left the power on. We’d discovered how the remote for the TV and audio system worked, and Arnold Jr., and Danny liked to watch the television. There were those cartoon shows. We couldn’t make much sense out of them, but I remembered that Rhonda kept calling me Ricky. For some reason I connected that to that silly cartoon. I don’t really understand why.”

“You don’t seem to have much of a problem relating to that cartoon, now.”

“That’s the strangest thing. All of us started to be able to understand what people were saying. We couldn’t make the same noises they made, but we could understand them.”

“Don’t you find it strange that you can understand me, and I can understand you?”

“We do.” By this time Harriet was sitting next to her husband. The children were lingering back a bit, but listening to the conversation.

“What do your friends and associates think about you and your family?”

“Not much. They don’t talk to us anymore. They avoid us.”

“Would you like to have a larger family group?”

“I think so.

“What do you think, Harriet?”

“Our children need to have friends. No one around here wants to associate with us. I remember those nice girls we met last year. The children really liked them. Rhonda was nice, too. There were all those other groups, but Rhonda didn’t come back after that summer. The people this year weren’t nearly as nice as she was.”

“Would you like to see Rhonda again, and see Marti and Lanu?”

“That would be nice, but they’re not nearby,” Arnold said.

“I can take you to them. I’m sure you would be welcomed. The area is quite a bit warmer, but there is a nice little river there. There are many more people there, but they are generally friendly.”

“Is it very far?” Harriet asked.

“I can take you there in seconds,” the robed man said. “If you don’t like it, I’ll bring you right back.”

“Children, would you like to take a trip?” Arnold asked.

“What’s a trip?” Arnold, Jr. asked.

“It’s like going to the other side of the river to that church camp, just further,” Arnold, Jr’s father said.

“That sounds like fun,” Misty said. “I’d like to see Rhonda and her friends again.”

Chico, California at the McKenzie Home

“How was your weekend with Mike? I haven’t much of a chance to talk with you with everything that’s been going on these last few weeks. Actually, I don’t think I have to ask seeing that grin you can’t seem to wipe off your face.” Sara McKenzie was poking a bit of fun at her daughter, Rhonda, who’d spent the weekend with her fiancé in San Francisco. They had attended a major concert the previous Saturday, but had gone over on a Friday before returning on mid Monday.

Sara thought the world of Mike Payne who’d been Rhonda’s boyfriend, now much more, since their sophomore year in high school. The fact that they would give her grandchildren was a given. The fact that they would pass on the magic gene to their daughters, and some of their boys, was also very important. The chance that their daughters might be witches was of great importance, too. However, the fact that her daughter and future son-in-law were deeply in love was the most important of all.

“We had a great time, Mom. We were lucky in that we’d made our reservations so long ago. With that concert and the Giants being in town, the hotel was full. I’m glad we splurged for the suite at the beginning. There was no way you could have ‘worked’ an upgrade for us. Thanks for the flowers and the Champagne. I put the flowers in a vase in the living room. Needless to say, the Champagne didn’t last very long.

“I love him so much, Mom.”

“I know, dear. We all love him. You’re just so lucky that you found him so soon.”

“I was Skyping with Randi last night. She had some questions about some local trips, and wanted my recommendations. I told her that Mike and I were engaged. I think she knew. The word does get around rather quickly with this bunch. She told me that she and Frank fell in love in about two minutes. I knew it almost that quickly when I met Mike. There was never any question.”

“I think we all knew it almost as soon as you did,” Sara said as she looked out the kitchen window and across their backyard overlooking the beautiful park that contained Chico Creek. The park ran for more than three miles east of downtown Chico. It was the pride of the city.

“Well, that’s something I never expected to see at this time of day.”

“What, Mom?”

“There’re two adult raccoons and three younger raccoons sitting up at the edge of the patio. They appear to be looking directly at me.”

“Ohmygod, that can’t be,” Rhonda said as came to the counter to see the five raccoons, obviously expecting something, sitting at the edge of their covered patio.

“It can’t be, but it has to be. That’s Ricky, er Arnold; his wife, Harriet; Arnold Jr, Danny and Misty. But what are they doing here? They live in southern California.”

“I think your answer is sitting in the lounge chair drinking a cup of Starbucks coffee.”

***

The Wizard has moved the raccoon family to Central California. The reason for this may never be known; however, The Wizard usually has a good reason for what he does. In Chapter 2 we meet Rhonda’s family, as does the Procyon family. Rhonda and her mother wonder what’s going on.

up
47 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Woo hoo! A new story.

WillowD's picture

Yay. I like this universe and all of the stories in it. Thank you.

Thank you.

littlerocksilver's picture

There is a completed story to follow this one. This, current story, is essentially a rewrite of a previous story as the introduction states. The next story will close some previously unanswered questions left from "Bobbie and the Glass Ceiling" and "Randi and the College Professor". The next story also gives us more information concerning the girls from the current story.

Portia