Julina of Blackstone - 089 - A Crowded Festival

Printer-friendly version

Julina manages to change parts of tradition

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 3

by Julia Phillips

089 – A Crowded Festival


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2018 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
089 – A Crowded Festival

I suppose I should have expected a sudden torrent of the Einnlander tongue in response. I was almost as surprised at that as I was at the number of people in the greeting group who raised their eyebrows and muttered to each other in that language. Oh! There were Sigsten and Vidrik who had come up to Blackstone, and there were the two girls, Geska and Odgarda. There were also a couple of other faces that showed they understood that strange and somewhat guttural tongue.

I held a hand up, laughing.

“Milord Gullbrand. I am, as you must be aware, from Blackstone. There we not so long ago met some of your countrymen and from time to time we overheard some of your speech. Indeed there are several faces of your countrymen and women that I recognise here today.”

Gyth, the traitress, muttered in the background: “Met one horizontally, didn’t you?”

I deem I saw a flicker cross Gullbrand’s face, but only he would have been able to hear her, and then only if he had exceptionally keen hearing. That realisation did nothing to stop me blushing, of course.

Nor to stop me kicking my foot backwards and successfully meeting my soon-to-be ex-friend’s shin. She yelped, but I didn’t turn round.

Count Terinar laughed aloud and I knew he guessed what had been said by the now firmly ex-friend.

Gullbrand looked up at him – and then HE flushed in some embarassment: “Milord! I most humbly apologise. I had not realised that you were a part of Mistress Julina’s escort.”

“I could do no other, Gullbrand. She was a valued guest of ours at Dekarran, and is some way to being a national treasure to we Palarandis. She is one of the most talented cooks in our land, has invented several things and owns several companies. Please look after her VERY well. She has business with Prince Keren.”

“As you command, Milord!”

“I shall leave you now, for I and my file are expected at the Palace. These four Blackstone Rangers shall stay, and train, with Her Highness’ guard for the day or two they are here. I leave them with you to show them where they are to go.”

“As you say, Milord.”

With that, Count Terinar saluted us all, making eye contact with those he knew, and led his men away. It was somehow a little daunting to be suddenly without him, even though we had been in his company for such a relatively short while.

There was, however, a plus side to this almost overwhelming welcoming committee. I had, as I said, recognised several of the faces but one in particular stood out to me, with her smiling face. She it was who took up the conversational reins once more: “Welcome to your home from home, Mistresses all. I see you have arrived in comfort, though my ears have told me that you had a great strain on your journey at first. There is much wonder circulating at your achievements. To reach here in but 5 overnights must be some sort of record I should imagine. It took us over 30 overnights to do the same journey!”

“Mistress Jenet. It is indeed a pleasure to see your smiling face once more. I imagine you are in charge of the housekeeping side of this mansion?”

“Indeed that is so, Mistress Julina. Of both mansions as it happens. We have many more residents over at the ‘House’; indeed you are our first stayers here in the ‘Hotel’ for quite some while now.”

She turned to the others and welcomed them prettily too, before continuing: “Now, Mistresses, we have prepared four rooms and one for the maids. Your names I understand are Prevet and Toria? I believe, Prevet, we met briefly on one of my earlier visits to Dekarran?”

“Indeed so, Mistress Jenet.”

Jenet turned back to us again: “Your rooms have been prepared with delight, I should add, for ’tis, as I said, a while since we had anyone stay here. Please be welcome and follow me indoors, once you have identified your pieces of baggage. These men and women shall then deliver them to the correct room. I shall now show you to those rooms, show you where the facilities are and then escort you to our dining room, for Gullbrand there has much to tell you. And we have a light luncheon to eat.

“I regret to say, I deem you shall find a great deal more of hustle and bustle in the next few days.”

I grinned and told her: “I invented a word that seems somehow better to my ears – hecticity.”

She had the grace to grin at that before turning away, beckoning us to follow. She led us off to the pile of baggages we had brought with us even as Gullbrand (‘Please, no Milording me. Simply my name, I would beg of you.’) turned to the Rangers: “If I may ask which of you is in charge?”

“That would be myself, Milord. Mompik is my name and I am File Leader by rank.” It was obvious Mompik could not bring himself to drop the title.

“Very well, File Leader Mompik. Would your men please stand guard over the baggage here until we have collected it all? The beasts may be tethered over there.” He pointed to a tethering rail positioned just inside the courtyard gate. Mompik assigned Rakshak to the duty of tending to the animals with a few silent flicks of his fingers.

And so it was that we arrived, still just in the forenoon, at what was planned to be our home for the next two nights.

… … …

I sat there stunned as Gullbrand told us all that had been planned behind our backs.

We were still seated around the table at which we had eaten an adequate luncheon, prepared by a blushing and apologetic woman who had said to us: “I am Sulinet, Mistresses. A simple wife to a simple soldier in Her Highness bodyguard – Toranar is his name, you may remember him from Blackstone?”

I nodded at her to let her know I knew him, the nod also informing her that I wouldn’t interrupt her.

“We all normally eat over at Blackstone House, in the Street of the Thatchers, and Craftmistress Milsy, her husband Craftmaster Tarvan and the guards there, with wives such as Guildswoman Senidet, have all expressed satisfaction with the fare I and my daughters serve, but I am aware that my skills are limited. I desire to learn some tips and tricks from someone as yourself. Particularly for when Her Highness returns.”

She ground to a somewhat abrupt stop at that point.

“For that reason,” said Gullbrand, taking back the conversation as Jenet nodded her agreement with Sulinet’s summary, “we have arranged, if it pleases, and, let me stress, ONLY if it pleases, for you to create a dinner for Prince Keren and another two hands or so of his invitees on the evening after tomorrow. Tomorrow is the Harvest Festival so there would be no time for you to prepare what you must. Therefore the following day.”

As I said beforehand, I was stunned.

I looked slowly around the table.

Davvy looked as surprised as myself, but I fervently hoped I looked not so panic-stricken.

Gyth was calculating, but she knew full well I would need her to help so she, after a pause to think, nodded at me.

Waxerwet it was though, the ever practical Waxerwet, who answered first: “Milord … Gullbrand, ’tis not as if Julina and Gyth have not cooked for His Highness before, so they have no fears of so doing. My fears, however, are that we shall be delayed in departing and thus be unable to cross both the Sirrel and the Palar and get as far north as Tranidor before the rains set in. That is already an extra night to add onto the plans we had for our stay here.

“Secondly, IF, and I repeat that with emphasis, IF this meal is to go ahead, then is there still time today to gain the supplies that Julina shall require? For, as you so correctly pointed out, the morrow is the Harvest Festival and no doubt all suppliers shall enjoy a day off.”

Gullbrand and Jenet both nodded to each other in what seemed to us to be approval. I had the feeling we had passed some sort of test. I noticed almost as an aside that the man’s eyes remained on Waxerwet for a little longer than was normal.

Nevertheless, ’twas he who replied: “I should perhaps explain a little more, before you can make that decision. I have here a missive from His Highness for you Mistress Julina.” He handed it over to me. “However, I am authorised to tell you verbally the gist of what is in it.”

He paused, looked around, and found all our eyes were boring into his. My eyebrows had risen at that strange statement, so I left the note he had handed me unopened for now.

“After the usual greetings, the Prince thanks you for coming this far to answer the questions he posed when he sat with you up in Blackstone. He suggests strongly that the proposed evening meal here would serve as the best demonstration of your skills and would lend weight to several others accepting the idea of your Consociation…”

At this point he broke off what was obviously a description of the contents to the letter to add in an aside of his own. “You should know that the Prince and all those of his party have returned conveying enthusiastic reports of the meals you have served them. The two Princes, the Counts, the Commander – all have been talking of your skills.”

I glanced at Jenet and she nodded emphatically as she said: “The Duke Gilbanar has something of a reputation for eating and he has expressed a determination to travel up to the Salon if you will not come down here!”

Guess what I did?

Yes, I blushed.

There was some more that Gullbrand said (it became obvious that he was letting all of our party know all the relevant details, to save me having to read them to myself and then tell the others) but that was essentially the general idea.

It appeared that a certain amount of ordering had already been done – even to the extent of redirecting the deliveries to the Palace kitchens should I refuse to take up this latest ‘offer’.

I confess that my first reaction was one of irritation.

As was indeed my second reaction.

And probably my third.

Was the Prince trying to manipulate me? He was forever arranging things and making me conform to his ideas, or so it seemed.

But Waxerwet put me straight when she stopped my immediate tetchy outburst: “Julina! Be fair! If this is going to have to happen, and again he has given you the choice of so doing, then that is surely the only time any such event can happen. We are constrained dreadfully by the pending rains. It would also be a way for us to ‘earn our keep’ so to speak. I for one would be grateful if you said ‘yes’. And I will do whatever I can to assist.”

Gyth nodded and Davvy showed me that she would abide by any decision I might make.

“Very well, then.” I began, slowly. “HOWEVER … before I say yay or nay, I must inspect the kitchens and the facilities I will have at my disposal. I assume that this shall happen over at Blackstone House?”

“Well, actually, Mistress, it is most doubtful it could be done here. We are replacing half the ovens over here at the moment for ones that will withstand the extra heats of using coal or coke. The evening meal will indeed have to be cooked and served over at the ‘House’ as it happens.”

Gyth then broke in: “I saw two men painting some wooden things in the courtyard as we arrived. Do they still have a goodly quantity of that paint? For I doubt not that the future King would prefer to eat one of our special meals in a fresh and lively atmosphere. If the dining room over there is the same as this, then I would strongly recommend that I redesign it and maybe repaint it. We have this afternoon and evening to do that in. This room is adequate, but a little dated, if I might be brutally honest. How many men might be available to me to direct the changes?”

Waxerwet then chipped in: “When was the last time those kitchens were used for a banquet? I understand you ported the food this time from Blackstone House, but this was really just an in-house meal. A banquet involves much, much more. Oh - and what fuel do the ovens there burn? And are there adequate plates, covers, napkins, cutlery and all things like that.”

It appeared we suddenly had a new front-of-house manager. Gyth and I exchanged a raised eyebrow. Jenet accepted those questions with a grin, in which I deem I detected a small amount of relief.

“Please take us NOW to the kitchens there and I will be able to answer you – and the Prince.” I stated a little more forcefully than I had originally intended.

Gullbrand looked stunned at all the decisiveness that was suddenly thrown at him.

Even Prevet and Toria seemed taken aback by it.

Sulinet looked at me, a mixture of hope and dread written clearly upon her face. “We have used the kitchens here really only for heating water for the very infrequent guests that come. As Mistress --- Wexerwat, was it? --- so rightly pointed out, we have produced this meal, and all those of the past, around the corner in the House. We have just a few permanent residents and the guards to cater for, so we have not done many improvements over there.”

“I see,” I said slowly, “so I am not to expect too much when we get there, then?”

… … …

“Commander Feteran! I wish I was in a better state to greet you!”

“Mistress Julina! I had expected you four arrivals to be enjoying your afternoon nap by now. I did NOT expect to see you working so hard with all these others, and here in Blackstone House too. I doubt I would have recognised you at first had it not been for your magnificent hair. And in all reality, ’twould have been my pleasant duty to be welcoming you to this establishment.”

“Well you see, Commander, the Prince has again asked me to do something for him which I find I cannot refuse.” I looked up at him, astride his frayen. I kept looking at him because I was trying my hardest not to glare at all the others in his party, all of whom were staring at me every time I happened to catch an eye.

“Ah! You have answered the question that I came here to find out if it had been determined yet or not.”

His roundabout speechifications alerted me to the fact that he didn’t wish to have to explain everything to those riding with him.

“And I determined that it would all have to take place here at the Blackstone House. Here there are sufficient … materials … for up to four hands of people, whereas there, with the kitchen renovations taking place, we would be far … cruder. I am working with everyone to get it all to happen on time.”

His eyes flashed a message of thanks to me for remaining circumspect and also in understanding of what I was trying to say.

Just then, Gullbrand and Gyth emerged from the house, Gullbrand attempting to stop the torrent of words pouring from my by now reinstated friend.

“… without the shutters on the windows; just look at the direction those windows face. Just change the two rooms around. The flow will be far better, you’ll see.”

Just behind them, Sulinet plucked at Gullbrand’s sleeve: “She’s right, Master Gullbrand. ’Twould indeed be much better. And now would be the best time to do it, with renovations already started.”

Commander Feteran laughed and called to Gullbrand: “I see you have met the talented Mistress Gythy. Her design suggestions have transformed much of Blackstone and apparently, within bells of arriving, are affecting one if not both of the Blackstone properties here in the capital.”

Gullbrand sighed theatrically. “Are all Blackstone women such tempests of activity? Do they breed them that way high up in your mountains?”

I heard a gasp from one of the mounted party and watched him out the corner of my eye as he dismounted hurriedly.

“Now, now, Gullbrand dear. I won’t let you disparage me and my girls.”

The shock of watching Waxerwet flirt nearly drove all other thoughts from my head.

This is my friend’s MOTHER! Flirting! What on Anmar w...

I jumped as a voice spoke next to my ear, using a tone that was low enough for our conversation to remain between just the two of us: “Mistress Julina! I am honoured to meet you. I have heard much about you and your talents, which appear to be similar to my own. My name is Maralin and I serve His Grace the Duke of Joth. I am a special advisor to His Grace and, from time to time, to your own King. My rank is Tenant which is equivalent, so I am told, to a Quadrant in the Palace Guard.”

“Ah yes!” I said, struggling to regather my scattered wits. “You are the peet-zer man. And you know somethings of cooking, I am told. I too find myself honoured.”

He inclined his head at my acknowledging remarks. “Indeed I am he. I will offer you one piece of advice immediately but I must be swift since we all have various appointments back in the Palace. When you cook up in the mountains, you may well not have realised it, but the altitude up there means that your cooking temperatures are lower and your timings are longer than you will find down here at sea-level. Be careful when you come to prepare meals down here for the first time. I would urge you to experiment.”

“Can this be true?” I confess I was shocked. I had always thought that cooking was cooking was cooking.

“It is indeed! Have you noticed that the air down here in the Great Valley seems heavier than you are used to up in the mountains? That thickness of air changes how the fires burn, and they will burn much hotter than you may be used to. One day, perhaps, I will be able to explain better, but for now I felt I must warn you.”

We were interrupted at that point: “Tenant, I understand your willingness to speak with Mistress Julina, and maybe I can guess at your choice of the subject matter, but ride you now with us to the Palace? Or stay you here for a while?”

“Commander, I shall accompany you, I deem. I am expected there. Mistress Julina, ’twas an honour.”

“Likewise, Tenant.”

I watched him climb back aboard his frayen and I looked around once more at his group. A few of the soldiery I recognised, as they did me, so we nodded to each other. Others were looking at me with neutrality, others with a curiosity. Maybe two or so were doing so with hidden aggression, but I wasn’t able to tell exactly.

But there were two young women, younger than myself, in his group who intrigued me to such an extent that I found myself concentrating on them and all but ignoring the others. Their intelligent faces were staring at me intently. As if weighing me somehow. This went on for a good few moments. They both nodded suddenly, at exactly the same moment. They turned and looked at each other, grinned and then turned back to me, smiling widely with such smiles that I felt my heart somehow lighten. I wondered if even their parents could tell them apart, so identical were those twins.

… … …

“At what time should we depart on the morrow?” I asked Senidet.

“While ’tis not far to the Shevesty Field, Milsy has organised a coach for us. She and Tarvan will be going from the Palace, but there shall be coaches no less for us so that we may carry our food and our other things we might need more easily.”

“Ugh!” I groaned. “Don’t mention food just now. I deem I have been in the kitchens here just about since we arrived.”

“But the results were spectacular, Julina. We haven’t ever eaten so well as we did this evening,” added in Gullbrand, with no detectable trace of oiliness in his compliment. “We who have remained here all this while can now readily understand the reputation that preceded you. Milsy and Tarvan shall surely regret they merely dined in the Palace this night. I thank you most heartfully for a truly splendid dinner. And also for all the preparations you have done for the food for tomorrow.”

“I deem the hero of the day must actually be that nice Jothan Tenant, Maralin. If he had not warned me about the differences cooking at different altitudes makes, then I daresay we would still be scraping all the burnt bits off our food.”

Feteran said then (somewhat fiercely, I deem): “Oh come, Julina. Surely you would have quickly realised and accustomed yourself to such changes. This meal was almost as good as the ones we had up in the Salon, and all from scratch and with ingredients you did not yourself purchase. You must surely begin soon to believe you are as talented as you are.”

“That’s very kind of you to say so, Commander, but I’m sure you exaggerate.”

“Not at all,” chipped in Jenet.

“I just did something with what you had thoughtfully provided. It was kind of Sulinet to allow me the use of her domain.”

“She tells me that she learnt much this day but fears for her job now she has seen how unskilled she is!”

“Oh Jenet, tell her she has nothing to worry about. She has the ability, I merely showed her, and her daughters, especially that Heliga, some techniques that were new to them.”

I decided to change the subject slightly. “Heliga has a real talent, I can assure you all. Despite her very youth. And yet she speaks with an accent that sounds almost Einnlanderish, or should that be Einnlanderian? No, there is some other word, but never no mind, it shall come back to me soon. So I was wondering how she is Sulinet’s daughter.”

There were a few glances amongst Gullbrand, Jenet and Feteran at that remark, and I realised that I had unwittingly stumbled across a subject that mayhap I should not have mentioned. My three colleagues also all noted the fact, but wisely bit back any remarks.

Thus, I did not object when Gullbrand took that conversation in another direction: “You yourself have remarkably strong Norse – that by the way is the more usual form we use to describe what you said was ‘Einnlanderish’ – characteristics, Julina; your hair colour is most unusual for a Palarandi and must surely be a beacon to any Einnlander who is not blind. There must undoubtedly be some Norse in your background somewhere?”

“Ah yes! Now I remember. Norse. That was the word that Dj… one of your countrymen used. I was struggling to remember it.”

Gullbrand, with a mischievous glint in his eye, said: “Ah! Yes, you mentioned you had met some Norsemen up in Blackstone. There was one who apparently allowed himself to get attacked by a dog and was quite severely injured.”

“Djerk was NOT attacked by a dog!” I began hotly. “He ...”

But then I had to grin reluctantly, because all the others were laughing at me.

I had been ‘got’ successfully as we say.

Feteran and Jenet knew the truth as did Senidet and Tedenis. They had all been present at that fateful demonstration. Gullbrand had probably been told by them.

I subsided, blushing so much that I’m sure my face matched my hair.

Davvy, through her grins, came to my rescue and asked the others what they thought about the changes that Gyth had wrought in the afternoon.

“I deem Milsy and Tarvan shall be surprised when they return later,” said Gullbrand. “Maybe even a little confused, now that that room over there has been emptied and painted, making this room all very overcrowded. I look forward to seeing it tomorrow evening, restored or, rather, refurbished. Mayhap on the following morning though, depending upon how late we all return.

“Your arguments, Gythy, were most persuasive and most sensible once we had actually thought it all through. The staff have expressed their approval and have all said that they wish THEY had thought of it. Movements shall be much easier, with fewer changes of directions now.

“Although Milsy needs be consulted about repositioning the double-clock.” He looked across most apologetically. “I mean no offence when I say that, Senidet, I am sure your solution is workable. I would just rather involve her at some small part of the proceedings, letting her make a decision rather than simply present it all to her as a done thing.”

Senidet nodded her head in agreement: “That is precisely why YOU are a diplomat and I am a … what are we called now … ah yes! … an engineer.”

And so our day finally drew to an end. We chatted on talking about this and that for another half bell or so, before Feteran sent for two guards to join him and Gullbrand in escorting us to the ‘Hotel’. I appreciated the gesture but wondered about the need for we saw, in the brilliant yet brittle light cast by the moon, no other living thing except for some nocturnal scurrying creatures little bigger than a murid, certainly not as large as a lab. But the shadows made accurate judgements awkward.

I was helped to prepare for bed by a busy Prevet, who looked after Davvy too. And I thought I would be soon fast asleep.

But no.

I lay awake for a good half bell, thankful that I had managed to cater for most of the sauces and so on that we would take along with our brets and to-be-cooked meats on the morrow. It was fortunate we had been able to gather the materials for those zeers, things which had astounded Sulinet and her girls.

And then I started to think about the dinner for the Prince.

I had been amazed at the difference in times and temperatures caused, according to Tenant Maralin, by the altitude we were at. But today’s efforts were sufficient of a practice to fill me with confidence for the day after tomorrow. Now that Heliga, she showed real promise. I wonder what the back story to THAT little interplay is. I think that mayhap …

ZZZZZZZZZ

… … …

I was grateful in the morning for the mug of water that Prevet proffered me after waking me gently. It was gradually occurring to me that the mornings I awoke with a dry mouth were most often after drinking more wine than usual the night before. Could there be some connection?

That thought stayed with me, at the back of my brain, for a long while that morning. Through the bath, through the Tai Chi and into the kitchens round the corner in the ‘House’, where I supervised Sulinet and her ‘crew’ in the making of the day’s dishes. As I arrived there, I saw briefly a woman with Her Highness’ hair style leaving as she went off towards the Palace, accompanied by some guards, a maid and a man with whom she was so familiar that I knew immediately he must be her husband. Those two must be Milsy and Tarvan, I surmised.

The team in the House kitchens also found the idea of the brets to be simple and good. Heliga suggested that we try wrapping them in a damp cloth to attempt to keep them less dry. So we each made one there and then, wrapped them accordingly and left them to see what would happen in the two or so bells before we departed in the coaches. If that idea worked, then we would also take a stack of brets to share with our neighbours at the Festival, as well as all the stuff we had more traditionally prepared.

… … …

“Just go with Prevet, ’Lina. We are all ready but you have yet to change. I will finish off that sauce you are making and organise the making and wrapping of the brets, now that clever Heliga’s idea has been shown to work. Hurry now, we are due to leave in less than half a bell.”

In the following hectic moments, both Prevet and I learnt much. Particularly about how my mass of hair refuses to co-operate whenever I am in a rush. Prevet learnt how recalcitrant it is, and I learnt some clever tricks with ribbons that managed to hide almost all the annoying tangles. Prevet warned me that there would be a price to pay later that evening when her elaborate workings were finally removed, but we deemed the price to be worth it. She was even fumbling with my hairs whilst I squatted on the facilities to have a final precautionary emptying!

Somehow we managed to make me look presentable in time for our grand departure, although poor Prevet’s preparation time was vastly curtailed.

As we gathered in the courtyard, there was a flurry of activity as a last-minute wagon was being prepared.

“Waxerwet had the bright idea of taking along the zeers, some of them anyway, to help keep our food cool,” Jenet explained. She went on to say that we could use them to mark out our claimed territory as there would apparently be much jostling and barging later, particularly during the more official happenings. I did not quite understand the reference at the time. Nor the apparent haste that was being applied since we were still very early, I deemed.

The reason for the earliness soon became clear though when we travelled to and then reached the Shevesty Field.

The streets were already quite full as our little convoy of three carriages made its way along. Despite many citizens being stationary as they lined the roads we took (“To greet and wave to the King, Queen and other nobles,” explained Jenet) there were still sufficient walking to the Field to mean that we were unable to travel as fast as we would have normally. The guardsmen, whose number included ‘our’ Rangers, were hard pressed to forge their way, or so it appeared.

Finally we turned into the field, and Jenet urged the driver to go as swiftly as he could to a particular spot she indicated. Indeed, she sent some of our guardsmen on ahead to try to claim the area she wanted. We followed a curving path that seemed to run completely around the circumference of the field.

We Blackstonians were most amazed, I can tell you.

At a number of things, not just Jenet’s urgings.

This ‘Field’ was vast. ’Twas probably three or four times as long as it was wide, but the length must surely have been closing upon a mark! My mind was trying to judge the distances based on what I knew to be the length of Main Street up in Blackstone, and I didn’t suppose ’twas so very much different to that.

But the differences were otherwise enormous.

For a start the base was flat, and not going up and across a slope. Nor were there any buildings crowding round the clearly marked and straight path along the centre of that flat bit. This path was clear to see for the grasses either side of it were mostly strewn with much straw. Workers were just covering the last of those flat areas as we arrived. Others were beginning to make some sorts of supports dotted frequently amongst the straw.

The end edges of the Field area were sharply curved, whereas the side edges were only gently so. All around the edges, the land sloped down towards the flat space in the middle. These sloping sides were pierced in five places to allow access from outside. At the far end from the one at which we had entered, part of the grand curve there was fenced off. I was later told that they were digging away the ground there, exposing what had been discovered (after Her Highness had suggested it) of the original Chivan foundations.

Just to the left of these workings, a large array of awnings had been erected, the major one of which had what looked like side walls. “That is the Royal Enclosure” explained Jenet. “I am trying to get us a site to the left of that and about a cast or so away, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that there is the best spot for the angle of the sun when it comes to our nap time.”

I know my mouth gaped. We were attending a festival and we would be napping? On a field? I looked around at my companions and the others who were new to all this. They all looked as confused as I felt.

By dint of some fast frayen work, and, frankly, some gentle bullying, Jenet’s preferred spot was secured for us. I looked on amazed as the servants and some of the guards started unpacking all the stuff we had transported. In no time, or so it seemed to me, we had our own (smaller) complex of awnings arranged in a semi-circular formation. We also had an area at the back with its own two awnings that Jenet explained would be our temporary kitchen arrangements.

I looked back at the general surroundings. Just outside of the large central flat area were the awning ‘villages’, erected on the most gently sloping ground. Just outside of these was a pathway, maybe a roadway, that had been made of hard compressed straw. Outside of that were a jumbled mass of booths, tents and stalls.

Molleena explained those to us with a certain relish in her tones: “That is where the people can buy food or drink, chance their coin at various simple games, get fortunes told and so on. I am looking forward to seeing some of that later!” The smile dropped rapidly from her face when she received a warning glare from Jenet, and she flushed.

Senidet dryly said: “We’ll see if we have time to do so then.” But I could tell, as could we all, that she was also intrigued by them. Jenet was very much of the old school of maids, refraining from publicly mentioning any personal desires, but I deemed Senidet and Molleena had a … looser relationship. Certainly I knew that Senidet would have had no exposure as to how to behave to and with a maid. I had the same problems with my relationship with Prevet.

Carts and small wagons appeared in increasing numbers around then and we watched as their loads were taken and stacked on and around those supports in the straw that I mentioned earlier. Almost in the blink of an eye, there were suddenly carefully piled arrays which I saw were the offerings of the harvest; fruit, vegetables and wine, pyramids of freshly-baked bread, stacks of bound faggots of firewood. And, curiously, a number of low tables being left empty.

Jenet answered my eye-speak question: “Those will be for the meats and fish and pies and sausages and so on - but they would rapidly spoil if left out too long in this warm weather. Once the more formal parts of the Festival’s opening ceremonies are completed, then this offering of food is available for all to come and take as they wish. Some of the booths will cook for them, some of these awnings are also more public cooking areas. The idea is that all shall enjoy a small part of the Harvest, that none shall go hungry after the second meal later in the day. And, almost more importantly, that the Royal Family is seen to eat just as the populace do. The first meal taken is usually just cold cuts and bread since the cooks, as you will readily appreciate, require time to cook the meats.”

I realised then that our wagons and coaches had disappeared somewhere. I had not noticed them going, even. (Later I was told there was a giant corral for the vehicles and the animals behind the hill or mound or whatever they called the raised sides of the field to my left.) It was a further shock to me when I realised there would have been no room for them near us because the crowd around had grown so much and filled almost all the space whilst keeping the pathways clear.

Again, ’twas Jenet who provided an explanation but with such a frown upon her face that I knew immediately she was unsure of something. “Normally,” she began with a slightly raised voice in order to be heard over the ever-increasing babble of the crowds around us, “the Royal Party enter in a great … convoy, I suppose, although that somehow seems disrespectful to say … through that gap there, the one nearest the Royal Enclosure. They would then do a complete circle of the rounded path to allow as many citizens to see and cheer them. Then they would dismount and set up their Enclosure much as we have done here. I suppose, though, with those works over there interrupting the rounded pathway, that this straight central path down the middle shall be used today. I see more than a little confusion in the faces of the people for ’tis most unusual to have a pathway there. And there are stewards of some sort every cast or so, keeping it clear.”

She continued to explain to us newcomers the format that the day would take until her explanations were cut short by her husband.

“Right men, gather round.”

I looked at the groupings and gave a little gasp of shock. Most of the men were in uniform, but I saw a little group of a hand of them dressed in everyday clothing. I recognised a face or two amongst them. I (wisely) kept my mouth shut as I realised they were not supposed to be seen by the populace as being guards.

Commander Feteran continued in his ‘command’ voice: “You have agreed as to your four groupings, allowing each of you some little time to enjoy the booths, so I want to remind you, before the events get underway, that there shall be no acceptance of drunkenness nor of tardiness. We have agreed the timings that the camp guards here shall change, and the times the early shift shall hand over to the late shift. Is there anyone here who requires a reminder?”

No-one said a word, so he continued: “Good. Then we shall split up accordingly now. I would like ...”

“Excuse me Commander,” I called loudly, interrupting him in full flow.

He looked at me queryingly.

“As it appears I shall be in charge of the catering side of things here during this day, would you like me and my helpers to prepare meals for your men too? You may tell me more privately of the timings required, of course, but I just thought that the men should know whilst they were all here gathered. I shall require half a bell or so’s notice, mind you.”

“Thank you, Mistress Julina. That shall be most welcome. Men, you may show your appreciation.”

There was a sound then, almost a roar, as they thanked me in unison.

Sigh! These wretched blushes

I busied myself then at the back of our area, making sure that I could indeed carry out the promises I had just made. Thus it was that I missed some of the Great Arrival of the Royals.

I became aware of it as the crowd around us surged slightly toward that central pathway and much clapping and many cheers swelled up. My view was mostly blocked so I had to wiggle and waggle my way through many bodies (some of whom could have at least tried to wash) to be able to see.

Thus it was that I first saw the King and Queen on that day. A few moving mind-pictures, framed by shoulders, heads, arms and armpits.

I was about to turn away again when I espied, on one of the carriages in that Parade, those two twin girls that had been studying me so intently the day before. That shocked me for some reason. I had imagined them not to be so … so … so … noble.

Davvy and I struggled our way back to the relative calm of our protected area. It was only as we got there that I realised that Davvy was scared almost out of her wits.

I looked at her and she explained: “With just one good arm, I cannot defend myself or my belongings so easily. I really do hate crowds. And I must have at least a hand of hands of bruises on my … posterior. Why do men have to grope us women when they think they can get away with it? One even squeezed one of my breasts.”

“Oh, Davvy. I am so sorry. I should have thought. We will try to surround you in the future. Protect you as best we might. But yes, I too received several unwanted … attentions. I managed to dig my nails into one of them, though.”

Gyth had just joined us then, so we answered her unspoken question and she immediately realised the problem with Davvy. She too was most apologetic.

Then we were interrupted by a visit from the Commander and a discussion on how and when to feed his men.

“… and your men not in uniform?”

He looked at me sharply. “And how do you know about that?” he almost whispered so as not to be overheard.

“I recognised some of the faces from before.”

“Hmmmph!” he grunted, obviously wondering to himself if anyone else could be so observant. “Yes, then, please. As that is now another secret I have not managed to keep from you, it shall matter not if you feed them. I had been pondering what I should do for them. I shall bring a few men to you off and on, as the day progresses, then.”

All conversation was brought at that point to a shuddering halt by the almost deafening fanfare of mouth-blown instruments coming from the front of the Royal Tents. Remarkably, a great silence descended over the entire vast field. I could even suddenly hear my cooking pots gently bubbling.

An old man stood by the King, dressed in a white robe, accompanied by two women. The stole he wore was red and yellow, signifying summer and autumn, according to Feteran who whispered to us, explaining also that this was the priest who attended most, if not all, of the official functions, funerals and festivals alike. The priest, I never did get his name, stepped forward and began to speak, his strong voice at curious odds with his apparent frailty.

"The Maker made the world, and the Sun, the moons and the stars above. The Maker made the plants and creatures within the world including ourselves. We do not know the Maker's purpose, and we do not know if the Maker has ever visited the world since it was made. All we know is that the world is the Maker's creation, not ours, and we have a responsibility to live in the world in such a way that it is kept as the Maker may have originally intended.

"This includes the responsibility to prepare ourselves, our families and the animals in our custody for the coming winter, and that includes gathering the fruits that the world has seen fit to provide us with this summer past. All of the foodstuffs we see in front of us have been given by those who took part in the harvest, in order that all Palarand may share in the bounty. What we eat together now and later today will be a token of the commitment we make to share the harvest amongst everyone, that none may go hungry in the dark and cold of the coming winter."

The priest turned towards the King. "Sire, is it your will that this food be distributed?"

King Robanar inclined his head before replying formally. "It is our will. Let the food be prepared, for a luncheon that all may enjoy together, to celebrate this festival of the year's harvest."

The noisy fanfare blew again, and numbers of servants poured onto the centre of the field where they began removing the food. They were followed by a surge of people who started collecting the offerings for themselves, once the Royal Party had been served, so as to speak.

The noise levels rapidly increased as the great crowd started talking amongst themselves once more. Talking, shouting and occasionally squabbling. We were all surprised though that there was less of the latter, even when two or more tried to grab the same piece of food from the temporary ‘tables’ set up to hold all the offerings. It seemed to me that maybe the amount of food set out was almost inadequate, so rapidly did it disappear.

And then it was time for me to retire to my little work place and get things going. Jenet had indicated that the first meal, the luncheon, on this day was traditionally bread and cold cuts since the offered meats and fish and so on would take some bells to cook. However, yesterday I had prepared a great amount of various sauces which would enliven the tastes so I determined to heat them up and have a few swiftly seared slices to go with them. The soldiers would appreciate them, I deemed.

I was busy for the next half a bell, but then had sufficient ready for me to send Davvy to Feteran to tell him. And then I was busy with Gyth and Davvy and Waxerwet, producing a steady stream of plates of food, not too large portions of course, as people came and claimed their allocation. At one point, I saw out of the corner of my eye a … how shall I say it? … well-built man, certainly quite a long way away from being thin. He was well-dressed and bore a face that looked somehow familiar. I saw Waxerwet take his empty plate from him and hand it to the others to clean even as she handed the man a follow-up snack of one of our brets. Who was this man then who could take two person’s allowance?

I was busy at the time, so I didn’t think too much about it, but something had registered almost subconsciously, that and the way that Waxerwet had been almost fawning over him. Oh well, no time right now to ponder over that mystery.

Others around us had been drawn to the unusual availability of warm food at that time, and so we handed out portions to them too. Until I had to whisper to the others to say we were running short, as the crowd of people awaiting seemed to grow and grow, some even bearing food for me to carve and cook. Those who received portions were kind enough to heap much praise upon us, which made it almost worthwhile. I continued dashing forward and back, slicing, dicing, stirring and so on.

Jenet it was who brought me back to the practicalities of our day. “Julina, no more. You must eat yourself. You have fed just about everyone within a cast of us, you have even cooked some of the food they offered you to do so. There is a more than general trend now of people coming to you. And all are satisfied. Feteran’s men shall hold any more back, for you must eat and then we shall have our nap. Waxerwet is even now preparing the mats for you all.”

I realised with a start that I was indeed quite weary, not to mention a little sweaty. I was about to start a plate for myself when I suddenly saw those two twin girls heading determinedly towards me.

“I shall just feed these two, Jenet, then I shall deal with myself.”

Jenet turned and looked where I was pointing, suddenly gasping as she saw them. “Julina, they are the Countesses Dalenna and Terissa, twin daughters of Duke Visselen and Lady Sindenna — Duke and Duchess of Brikant. Address them as Miladies, although they are yet young.” She was scanning the crowds nearby, suddenly tense. The girls came close and I could see Jenet begin to relax, even as she hurriedly filled me in with as much information as she could: “Only their immediate family can tell them apart and the girls delight in making mischief based upon that fact. They have a younger set of twins, boy and girl, and an older brother named Marlin who caused Her Highness some problems early on. It seems he is not come here today, for which I shall privately confess I am grateful. Ah! Now I see their guards close by, not in uniform.”

She had no time for more, as they were there and in my face, so as to speak.

“Mistress Julina?” one of them asked me.

I held up a hand to stop them there and then. They glanced at each other, but stood indeed still and unspeaking before me. I scanned them closely, searching for a differentiating mark, one that I now knew must be there if the family could distinguish them. They grinned engagingly as they swiftly realised what I was doing.

It took a while, maybe even as long as three minutes, but I deemed at last I had found it.

“Mistresses!” I said that deliberately as I knew they thought I knew not who they were. Why should I not have a little fun too? “Thank you for allowing me to scan you so closely. I would wager that you have fun trying to confuse people as to which of you is which, but I deem I can now tell you apart. Please introduce yourselves. Should our paths cross again in the future, I will forever use whichever name you choose now to refer to you, so I would expect the truth now. I know you know I am Julina, but your names are unknown to me.”

A swift glance together and then they said simultaneously: “I am Terissa/Dalenna.”

I grinned at their perfect timing of speech, done of course to add in a little more confusion, but I had been observing one of their mouths and spotted the pronunciation of an ‘s’ in there; so I pointed at her, saying simply: “Terissa.” I faced the other: “So you must be Dalenna.”

I suppose it might have reflected badly on her if Jenet had not made the formal introductions then, but I had been looking forward to seeing how they would correct my form of address to them.

“Good morning, Miladies.”

“Good morning, Jenet.”

“With Her Highness away temporarily, I have some little spare time nowadays. You may not know or remember that now I am married to Feteran, Her Highness’ personal guard commander. One of those weddings you attended back at the Spring Dawning. There was much going on then was there not? Nevertheless, with my now temporarily reduced responsibilities, I have the honour to be advising this group of visitors come down all the way from Blackstone. I would present Mistress Julina of Blackstone to you both. Mistress Julina, these are the Countesses Dalenna and Terissa of Brikant.”

I pretended to be shocked. “Miladies. I most fervently apologise.” My eyes were brimming with mirth, though.

Terissa said simply; “We too found it fun!” And I knew they knew and they knew I knew.

Milady Dalenna then explained their mission, much to my shock at her early words: “You earlier served a portion of lunch to Duke Gilbanar and he has been telling all in the Royal Enclosure how delicious it was. Would you perchance have some left that we might have a taste?”

“Just a taster you understand,” added in Milady Terissa, “not necessarily a full portion...”

I flicked a finger at Gyth and Davvy without taking my eyes off the twins. Such was our teamwork that I knew they would begin to fulfil the twins’ request.

“... We have heard of your prowess from Keren, er ... from the Prince, that is. And that you might open a sort of higher-level learning establishment for the cooking and serving of food. However, he also said he was unsure you would want to travel all this way and stay away from your family.”

“So we dashed over here to get a taste lest you decide not to do it,” finished Milady Dalenna. She then added, a little bitterly, “I doubt we shall be allowed to travel up to Blackstone for many a year yet.”

In one way that relieved me, for now I knew that the Prince was uncertain. It enabled me to see more clearly that all he had done was to prepare the way for me to make my considerations.

“Miladies, may I in turn present Mistresses Davabet and Gythy, also from Blackstone. They are even now preparing a plate for each of you. Gyth, Davvy, be pleased to meet Countess Terissa and Countess Dalenna.”

And so it was that I properly met The Twins for the first time. I find I cannot write about them without using the capitals.

We had a pleasant ten or so minutes in which they demonstrated to me clearly their intelligence. They asked many a question and they found the brets to be a splendid idea, as had many of our neighbours earlier. I deem I quite impressed them with my own abilities. By and by, they scampered off. They reminded me strongly of my little sisters, just reaching that time of changing from girls to women.

I ate a little something myself, allocated tasks for the clearing up and allowed myself to be ushered away.

And then ’twas indeed time for a much-needed nap.

… … …

“… pel, m’dear?”

I was so startled I jerked myself myself fully awake in about a heartbeat. I had been very deeply asleep, so deep that I had been dreaming, but I forget now about what.

I eagerly took the mug of pel from Waxerwet’s outstretched hand.

Oh, there was never a sweeter taste than that.

Maybe it was because we had been sleeping in the open surrounded by thousands of other people, maybe because I had worked so hard, maybe … oh maybe anything, but that mug of pel was one of the most memorable of my life.

We all soon were fully awake, we used the facilities, we checked on the supply of food to be cooked and shared a little later and then we were free to wander the booths. Davvy took some persuading but we promised to remain around her, protecting her at all times.

As we left our little area, I heard an announcement from the Royal Enclosure, which I saw had been rearranged. A slightly circular arrangement of chairs had been effected, an open circle of course, so that the occupants all faced a focal point. The King was in the central one, Prince Keren next to him, and then several other men, one of whom had to be Duke Gilbanar. His facial resemblance to his brother was obvious now the two were so close. That was why his face had been slightly familiar earlier.

The Chamberlain Kendar stood now to one side and banged his staff on a flat stone especially placed there for the purpose.

"Be it known to all men in the city and country of Palarand, that as is customary during the Harvest Festival, the Commons Court is now in session! If any have wrongs or grievances which defy the judgements of ordinary proceedings, they may present them especially to the King for his personal decision."
After a pause, during which all involved and the interested crowd all settled into their seats or squatted on the ground, Kendar again banged his staff.
"Bring forth the first appellant!"

Davvy decided that she was after all too scared to face the crowds so she would remain and watch the court proceedings. We could not budge her. There were sufficient females around for her to be protected that way, so we three women set out on our own venture, spurning any male company.

The booths were attractive in a fairground sort of way and we had great fun visiting fortune tellers and comparing their predictions afterwards. All in all we visited a hand of them. In three of them, mine all said about marrying and having children, one said I would travel extensively whilst the other caused the most merriment in its ridiculous suggestion that I shall: “Be employed in the Palace and gain much influence and respect.” Not a single one of them mentioned anything about the Consociation, nor the other reason they wanted me down here (the language thing), nor a single peep about Blackstone, mountains, catering, restaurants, breweries, hotels, railroads nor inns.

Gyth’s predictions? She shall be married and have children, although the descriptions of her future husband varied wildly. Not a peep about anything else.

Waxerwet’s? Oh surprise, surprise, surprise! She shall be married and have children. Her husband material was strangely consistent though and Gyth and I started to tease her about Gullbrand who loosely fitted the descriptions. I think we were both shocked when she confessed to having a strange compulsion to be near him.

Prevet and Toria also got told they would marry and have children. Toria seeming to be the keenest amongst us so to do!

We found a shoemaker who promised us he could make us a pair of shoes each and deliver them to Blackstone House the following day, so we made a part payment and walked on. I found a couple of trinkets each for my sisters and Swayga, and some for other friends up in Blackstone and Bezlet.

We were on our way back when we encountered a group travelling the opposite way.

“Mistresses Julina, Gythy and Waxerwet, well met. If I may introduce Craftmistress Milsy and her husband Craftmaster Tarvan? Milsy, Tarvan, these are three of your four guests in the Blackstone Hotel. Mistress Julina, Mistress Gythy next to her, and Mistress Waxerwet on our left. Mistress Davabet is not with them for some reason.”

We all murmured the usual thanks to Senidet for the introductions and the usual greetings amongst ourselves but I was aware that the Craftmistress was studying me intently – so I returned the compliment.

The Davvy explanation was offered and readily grasped by all three of them. Milsy impressed me with her immediate sympathy for our absent member’s plight.

In the next five minutes or so, we all chatted with each other sufficiently to get a clear feeling about each other. I am pleased to report that we all seemed to like what we met.

Senidet attached herself to us, allowing, she told me later, the married couple some time alone. I was glad that we were returning for, with four principals and three maids, we were in danger of becoming an unwieldy group.

We walked on and soon again encountered someone we knew.

“Tenant Maralin, I must thank you most heartfully for your warning about the cooking times and temperatures. I deem I managed to make a presentable meal after all and would indeed have had difficulties without your kind forethought.”

“Mistress Julina, I have heard that ’twas a great success. I’m glad I could have been of assistance. And I hear that you have managed to invent those bret things. Similar to what we call ‘sandwiches’ (he spelt it for me, strangely intensely gazing at me as he did so) back where I come from. How came you to that name?”

He laughed when I told him that it was merely a contraction of ‘bread pielet’. He excused himself and went on his way towards whatever it was he was intent upon doing. I was left with the feeling that he knew something about me or us of which we were as yet unaware. In fact, I had that impression from many we had encountered either directly or indirectly.

We returned to find that Sulinet and her girls and the other women had started up a production line for brets which idea had grabbed the imaginations of our neighbours. Including several in the Royal Enclosure who had sampled them once the court session had ceased. I glanced over at that enclosure and saw four or five women all studying me intently it seemed, although they looked away when I caught their eye. The only one who didn’t look away was the Queen herself. I lowered my eyes rather than hold the gaze.

When I next looked up, The King and Queen were in discussion with Prince Keren about something which was nice to see, a true family picture in plain view of everyone.

But then it was time once more for me to return to the cooking area.

Where I received a great surprise.

There was a line of people there who begged me to cook their meatstuffs for them, so I decided there and then to have an impromptu cooking lesson, with Davvy (as far as she could), Gyth and Waxerwet, Sulinet, Megren, Salia and Heliga all demonstrating what I was talking about to the … ‘pupils’ I suppose.

Gradually, I saw the people who were interested had grown from a small class up to something that could only be described as a small crowd. I had an inspiration then, and asked if anyone would like to work hard for the rest of the afternoon but learn by doing. In the end, I had to choose a hand of hopefuls from the twenty or thirty who had volunteered.

I was getting somewhat carried away, involved in the self-appointed tasks I had now created when a voice broke into my concentration as I demonstrated a cutting technique with a very sharp knife.

“Mistress Julina. If I might be so bold?”

I looked up and immediately broke into a grin. It was The Twins, and they had swapped dresses, hoping that way to have some fun as those who spoke with them assumed they were the other one.

“Yes, Milady Dalenna?”

Their eyebrows shot upwards and an appreciative grin spread across their faces.

“Might we interrupt you for but half a moment? We should need to talk privately, though,” she warned in a low voice.

“Give me just two minutes more here, please.”

They nodded. Surprised again, I deemed, about my use of the word ‘minutes’. It also confirmed to me (which was why I had chosen that usage) that they knew about hours, minutes and seconds.

I turned back to my little crowd of helpers and onlookers. “So now we have finely sliced these, we plunge them in a pot of boiling water … CAREFULLY ...”

… … …

“I beg your pardon? I mean, this is most irregular. I do not wish to imply that you are untruthful, but I have never had such a summons before. So I find I must say – are you sure?

“Oh yes,” said Terissa. “Queen Terys didn’t want to disturb your … meeting, here, for that is exactly what would have happened had she come herself. She really would like you to attend her in the Palace as soon as you may after breakfast.”

“And,” continued Dalenna, “she is aware of the dinner you shall prepare the following evening so promises not to keep you very long. I suggest that you look across to her from the front of your awning there.”

I did so, and saw her in conversation with another woman. I saw a maid gently touch her shoulder and whisper something in her ear. She turned and looked straight at me, gracefully nodding at me before turning once more to finish her conversation. The twins then scurried off.

I managed to turn back to my impromptu lesson and complete it to a very gratifying round of applause. All around declared themselves to be satisfied with the two sauces we had just made.

And then we started cooking the meats and fish that were required, not just for this crowd, but also for the members of our enclave and the guards.

I was busy then for a fair while, aware vaguely of the priest’s further speech for the evening meal emanating from the Royal Enclosure.

As we sat down to eat, Milsy appeared to say hello to everyone. Being the temporary head of House Blackstone, she had been involved with the Royal Party all day but looked forward to having a relaxing ‘day off’ on the morrow for most of the day. In a veiled reference, she let me know that she too was expected to accompany me to the Palace early on.

Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser.

She also asked us if we wished to stay on until after dark, as many people do, enjoying the booths once more, or if she should command the carriages for when the meal was finished and tidied away. She explained the Royal Party shall depart promptly after the meal, for many of the visiting Dukes and Counts would leave in the morning to reach home afore the rains. The Dekarran contingent wishing, of course, to get back to Countess Merizel as soon as they might. It had been determined that the Rangers would travel with them, allowing Duke Gilbanar to formulate his replies to the despatches from Blackstone. We could then use the stagecoach to travel there on the following day.

And so it was that a most interesting and entertaining day drew to an end, with only a few minutes work of furniture moving once we got back to Blackstone House. Again we were escorted from there back to the Blackstone Hotel.

With Prevet’s help, I was soon ready for bed after taking a welcome cooling bath. ’Twas a bed in which I slept swiftly and deeply, but not without a few moments of wonder at the Queenly summons. What on Anmar could the Queen want with mere me?


up
167 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I certainly hope that the

I certainly hope that the King and Queen do not want to keep Julina at the Capitol as Head Cook; but rather are planning to honor her with some sort of Royal title of a lessor degree. Such as the Title of Lady and Advisor to the Throne; which is the equivalent of being named a Knight and Advisor. That would most definitely show how much Prince Keren, and the King and Queen respect her and all of her brilliant ideas that have changed some much of Blackstone and even portions of the Kingdom.

What might the queen want?

Now that is a question which will probably haunt Julina until she meets the queen!
I am much enjoying these excellent tales!
Thank you for sharing Julia!

Hecticity, indeed

Poor Julina has hardly had time to find her feet, let alone have a rest. Even when she is attending a festival she is working!

Another action and incident packed chapter, I deem.

Good work, Julia.

Penny

Very Enjoyable Chapter

Julina excels wherever she goes. I'm looking forward to the meeting with the Queen and who turns up for the dinner. Thanks for sharing.

The Queen has a talent for

The Queen has a talent for recognizing people whom are about to become very significant,

She wouldn't be

nearly as effective in her role if she didn't have that talent. One must believe it is something her parents groomed into her....

Probably is to some extent,

Probably is to some extent, particularly the nudging them along part, but it's hard to teach people starting from any age to be that kind of observant enough to pick out the small details without losing track of the bigger picture and being able to recognize how those details will affect the bigger picture. A trait only the best investors have.

True fortune teller

I would be more amazed if those fortune tellers could figure out if a woman was destined to be in a relationship with another woman.

So far it looks like Blackstone women are uniformly straight.

As far as Julina’s prowess goes, it has definitely become a busman’s holiday.

She has not stopped working since she arrived here, partially paying for the privilege herself.

Finally, she has not even a chance to play tourist, though how many get a personal invite to the palace?

I wonder if she can get the royal seal of approval of some kind like certain royal suppliers in Blighty get?

You know, by appointment of the Queen etc?

I know guilds have ranks and stuff but I am guessing that cooking is so primitive and unorganized that there is no system of rankings?

It’s clear Julina knows a lot of recipes now but the recipe for disaster is not one of them apparently.

It’s too bad she does not make becoming a VMB as I bet they can use a good cook, whatever they eat.

Finally, it seems there is a lack of bloodsucking insects like mosquitoes and ticks and chiggers etc That alone would induce me to move there.

Title confusion

Sulinet early in the chapter mentioned Milsy as craftmistress and Tarvan as guildmaster. Later in the story, the titles are reversed. Is there a backstory to that confusion?

Thanks for being more observant than I.

I wrote the main part of this episode back in January. With moving and visitors I have been tied up in RL for most of the last month and more. So when I came to finally polish this up for posting, it happened in two separate sittings, eight weeks apart. I spotted this very error early this morning and corrected it, hoping I had got away with it!

Alas no!

My eagle-eyed Kimmie friend had indeed picked up on it. (Keep up the good work, please)

I also picked up two typos and jkoc pointed out another to me.

So all have been put right already.

2nd helping

Thank you ma’am but may I have another? ^_^

If you do a search for guildmaster Tarvan, it’s still there.

I assume they both are on the craftmaster level?

To clarify here is the snippet:

“We all normally eat over at Blackstone House, in the Street of the Thatchers, and Craftmistress Milsy, her husband Guildmaster Tarvan and the guards there, with wives such as Guildswoman Senidet, have all expressed satisfaction with the fare I and my daughters serve, but I am aware that my skills are limited. I desire to learn some tips and tricks from someone as yourself. Particularly for when Her Highness returns.”

Iirc they are both

Iirc they are both guildmaster level,

I thought

That they were considered master craftsmen. This is a different rank than a guildmaster. If anyone could be considered a guildmaster it would possibly be Milsy as she seems to be the driving force in the exploration of electricity. But Tarvan really isn't quite your average master craftsman either, because he has been picked out by Garia to begin the exploration of electricity. So they may both be considered co-guildmasters for their new guild of electric workers.

Definitely craftmaster level

They have not truly mastered their ‘craft’ yet. Granted it is hard to define what would be considered mastery of a new craft.

To be considered to be a guildmaster would require a certain level of contribution to the guild and they are not quite there yet.

My feelings are that Milsy should certainly earn it in another year or two but Tarvan will take longer, perhaps three or four.

I'll have to do some digging

I'll have to do some digging but Milsy is already Gildmistress #2.

Milsy

No, I do not believe so.

I believe she is guildwoman #2, no longer a journeywoman.

Ranks

If I recall correctly, Julina's original plan for the consociation was to act as the equivalent of a cooking guild, defining standards; teaching, examining and then awarding titles and rank.

I wonder if the Queen has drawn the duty of telling Julina why she is really in Paraland. Remember, setting up the consociation in Dekarran was the public reason for Julina to leave Blackstone. Kerren has acknowledged that they are also interested in Julina for her language skills as there will be a need to teach the reading and writing of English so people can study the books that Garia will bring back from Earth (chapter 79). I suspect that the Royal party's rapid departure was a further means of getting Julina to follow them to Paraland without any suspicion.

Master Chef

Teek's picture

No one has given Julina a title yet. If she is to start this school for cooks, she will need a title. They have gotten away from the Guild system but still using it. Will she be labeled Chef, Guildmistress, Professor, or some other title? Even if she turns down the position, she deserves a title for all she has done for the new united land.

Someone got two servings, was one of those delivered to the Queen?

Julina has a big decision to make. She wanted to ask some people some questions. I think one of the people she needs to talk to is Milsy. Julina may not realize they need to talk, but she is probably the one with the most experience going from no-one to someone people look up to and turn to for answers.

My vote (not that it is worth anything) is that she start the cooking school and on the side teach English (or should that be the other way around. Have her make all her cookbooks in English. :) All lessons in English. That will force everyone at her school to learn English and all who want her recipes to learn it too. :) - - Universal language for a new United land. Remember, in the future when the earthlings land, they are seeing signs in English. They can not understand this. As they unite all these different lands under one new system, there will need to be a universal language, money, etc. To eliminate problems, adopting English would be the one with no one saying it gives one country an unfair advantage.

Remember everyone. When the King is busy (which he is at the moment), he will ask the Queen to handle certain things. There is no way to predict what the Queen wants.

Thanks for finding time for a new chapter. It is highly appreciated and I look forward to the next one.

Keep Writing, Keep Smiling,
Teek

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

They don't have any ranks for

They don't have any ranks for cooking yet, if they form it will be naturally to convey skill, and as for titles not really, while she might get an honorary title, as a show of appreciation, she is a business woman, and that title may not have any practical meaning. As for English, remember they will adopt it as a trade language and likely a scientific language before that, but the Valley largely speaks the same tongue already and until Garia returns, there isn't really a point in trying to adopt it, or making it part of serious plans however it does make sense to have the Consociation as part of the University, as cooking is just a practical application of chemistry.

Since we know...

that Maralin leaves Dekaran with Princes Eriana in a short while he must be about to depart for Dekaran post haste!

Errr.... sorry, no, this is incorrect

Maralin left with Eriana many weeks BEFORE this takes place. The Voyage of the Visund action is taking place before the summer gets underway. These Julina chapters are taking place AFTER the Summer Solstice.

You may recall that Julina left Blackstone the day after the Longest Day celebrations.

Don't worry too much if you find this complicated, I can assure you that Penny and I do too.

This is one of the reasons that these JoB chapters take so long to produce, since so much has to be checked and double-checked. (Including deciding what rank people like Tarvan will have by the time these events occur.)
And then trying to remember to make it happen when we pen events that are effectively in the past.

Once the rains arrive in each of the threads (not too far away now) then I deem 'twill be easier to relate to all the timings.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, though - that is MOST appreciated. Please continue to do so.

OOPS!

I'm not thinking. Maralin and princess Eriana sailed up the river shortly after Prince Karen and Princess Garia set out for Blackstone. So what is Maralin doing back in Palarand now? Is his principle back in the city for another meeting of the rulers of the Valley states? Or is he on some diplomatic mission. Oh and where might Ursula be!?

I can tell you this

It is a sort of spoiler, but not very, if you consider what has already been revealed in JoB: When the Visund reaches Joth, Maralin and all the other Jothans get off, as they have effectively returned home.

Thus Maralin (and Wallesan) would be available to return to Palarand for various purposes should it be required. I would note that it is likely that Wallesan and Maralin will operate to different timetables: they probably aren't going to be traveling together if they did go anywhere.

At this stage I am not at liberty to divulge what happens to Ursula.

Next Visund chapter by the end of this week, I hope. The weather is stupid hot and I can only use the computers in the early mornings.

Penny

Thanks Penny

Your response separating Maralin and Wallesan's travel makes sense as Wallesan told his wife that he planned to stay home until after the rains in the most recent episode of Visund. Of course plans can always change.

Maralin

This is just a bit of an aside - but talking about Maralin, do we get to meet his lady friend? I recall him mentioning her (possibly in an early meeting with Garia) but with all the frayen-setting (Milsy has yet to invent the coal-fired jet engine) he's been doing up and down the valley he's hardly seen her.

Renita

Indeed, you will do in the next few chapters of VotV.

However, since that is a story about (mostly) Eriana and her adventures, don't expect too much.

Penny

Edit: the story of their original meeting is here: https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/fiction/52580/armsman-joth-1

Thank you

I'd forgotten about the Armsman story - looks like I have some re-reading to do.

Queen Terys visit

Keren did not do a good recruitment job imho as I commented in another chapter.

Time for a professional recruiter in the Queen.

She will wheedle out Julina’s concerns and needs and help provide options/incentives etc

But please, hopefully no ‘for King and country’ stuff.

Keren had limited time and

Keren had limited time and Julina wasn't in the best place, he provided options, and logic behind them, but unlike his wife and his mother, he has a harder time seeing and conveying mutual benefits and he deals mostly in absolutes, when this situation could be better managed by more nebulous time and location decisions.

Limited time is a poor excuse

When recruiting at an executive level, especially for a critical need, one has to plan a course of action.

Lack of time? Create time. Invite her down to Palarand, delay his departure to allow her to travel with him and do a proper job of reeling her in. If needed, go the nda route and be frank as to why she is needed.

Keren is still young and like you said, his wife and mother do a better job at creating report.

Julina was recently hurt, and

Julina was recently hurt, and broke up with someone she would be traveling with, her businesses weren't ready for her to leave either

That has already been accounted for in my analysis

You just can’t bodyslam someone into making into such a critical decision. Take TIME to gain a report, personally and ask around through intermediaries/spies (where this kind of stuff may come up) and then nudge her into at least start thinking about it.

Yes, you don’t need to go to such lengths for most people. But Julina is not ‘just’ anyone.

Honestly, being the Prince in this situation caused problems that should not have existed.

Problems caused

Oh most definitely, all things considered, the way he handled it while appropriate for say a government official or a leader of another nation-state, was not suitable for the situation. While he took extra effort to make sure it was clear that it was up to her, and in no way would it be counted against her if she said no, he did it in such a way that conveyed an unnecessary urgency by both info dumping and by his status, he also should not have brought it up at least in full when she was just recovering, waiting a day or two would have been better, so they could see more eye to eye and to reduce the false urgency.

Definitely could have gone better, but all things considered he didn't do the worst job.