Julina of Blackstone - 062 - A Tale of Two Lunches

Printer-friendly version

Downs and ups, and I don't mean just the road

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

062 – A Tale of Two Lunches


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
062 – A Tale of Two Lunches

“Maker, all of you! Are you really so insensitive? So tell me what happened! Exactly.” Uncle Steef was the most forceful I had ever seen him.

Pomma made me mount Trumpa even as she mounted Wiget. She led me back through the trees and after a mark or two, we were back in the village of Bezlet. She led me to the house that had become the village's inn almost by default. It was run by Mistress Pachet, a woman I had met before, here in her domain. She had taken over the task of feeding the local workers, a task that had been actually started by one of those workers' wives. Mistress Pachet had taken over when that first woman got pregnant again, and the location changed as a consequence from one small house to another.

Mistress Pachet's man, a woodcutter and tree-feller who preferred to keep to himself and discouraged too much social inter-reaction, had gone to his pyre early in the last year, and her two children had gone to theirs before they were full-grown, so she was glad to have something to do for herself, finding relief from her sorrow in being busy. She had started out travelling down from their remote woodland hut, in the vague hope of finding something better for herself downvalley. Her steps had taken her to Bezlet just at the same time as some of the construction started there.

She sought some work and the offer was gladly taken up by those early forest clearers. This gave her some small relief from the worry of where she would be able to gain any more coin, eking out grudgingly the little she had from her dead husband. She had only paid out a relatively large sum from those meagre savings to buy the house she lived in when the early workers' huts were constructed. The price she paid was less than one tenth of that that I paid for Voysin's!

'Twas a sensible purchase she deemed as Bezlet would grow in size and importance according to everyone she met, but she had scarce enough left over to keep the house well-maintained. She offered her premises to the now-pregnant woman that the other could separate work and family, and the two of them started feeding the men and their families, using the raw foodstuffs that the grateful men brought them.

Soon they were feeding the travellers who stopped there as well, and were grateful for the small coin those travellers left. They found they had enough to offer some coin to men prepared to hunt.

The community there expanded and more families appeared. All helped each other as was necessary.

Travellers had now became more frequent as some wagoneers preferred to stop in Bezlet rather than at the Forest Roadhouse, Bezlet being roughly at the halfway point between Blackstone and Tranidor. Those wagoneers who were taking advantage of the Bunkhouse up near Blackstone were the most frequent of their guests, and these wagoneers frequently made it down to Tranidor or beyond on their next day's travel.

The others who now lived around here had helped her build on an extension with a few bedrooms and another two bathrooms, and these were so much in demand, she was thinking of expanding even more, with more bedrooms and a large common room. Sure the additions were crude when compared to the big towns, but at least there was comfort to be had. She was just worried how she would cope if the demand became too much. The pregnant one promised to help her once the baby was established.

The Inn that the Steward had mentioned at the start of the year was already in effect!

We used her facilities, I dried my eyes and then found that a healing mug of pel and general chat about general topics worked wonders at calming my fluctuating moods.

And then the door banged open, Uncle Steef marched in, there was no other word to describe it, he nodded to Mistress Pachet and started straight in, looking directly into my eyes and speaking forcefully: “Now Julina, I have heard all about it, and I must thank you, Mistress Pomma, …” he shifted his eyes to her as he spoke, “... for helping and guiding her through all the deals and doings she has been through in the past week or so. Such a work load would be immense for an experienced man, let alone a young girl, no matter how capable that young girl is. And on top of that, all the new responsibilities that have come along to activate her usually brilliant ideas.

“Now Julina, tell me this, did you know that Masters Shemel, Quizzen and Pyor spoke with the foreign trader after you sensibly went somewhere private to recover yourself to a certain extent?”

By this time and with some of Pachet's excellent pel warming my insides, I had begun to be more in control of myself, but my uncle's words threatened to bring back to mind all the unpleasantness I had just endured.

So I took a few deep calming breaths, pinched myself above my upper lip but below my nose (a trick dear Mama had suggested to control emotional quavers when speaking), swallowed a few times and only then answered, surprising even myself with the steadiness of my voice: “I am of course aware that Pyor was still with Rayzi Bandarabbas and that Shemel had been despatched to assist Pyor with a potential purchase negotiation, but as for the details, then I am totally unaware of what passed after that.”

“I suspected as much, and naturally Mistress Pomma was with you as was proper. So now I have some items of information for you which I deem will give you great pause to think. Both of you, in fact.” He nodded in a somewhat strange fashion which piqued my interest almost more than his words had.

He then surprised us further, by calling out loudly: “Mistress Pachet, would you be so kind as to join us. I deem I have something to say that will be of interest to you too.”

And so we waited for a hand or so of heartbeats while the lady of the house came to us, which she did with a flushed face and wiping her flour-covered hands on her apron, which actions told me immediately that she was baking. I hoped that Uncle Steef wouldn't keep her too long, sometimes delays when baking can become critical.

“Thank you, Mistress Pachet, I will attempt to be brief but I deem this news to be of importance to all women. Earlier this morning, down at the Brayview Roadhouse and Administration Centre, the Mistresses here met a foreign trader. The Administrator there, Master Kolston, tried to protect the interests of the foreign trader, in what was probably an exaggerated display of being seen to be a good host. The foreign trader comes from the Chaarn region and from a society in which for all the years they can remember women are subservient to men, women are effectively breeding humans and good for little else …” he grinned engagingly, looking at Mistress Pachet's hands and apron, “... except maybe in the kitchen!

“Anyway, Administrator Kolston ...” I made a mental note of Kolston's new title for Uncle Steef said it in such a way that I knew instantly it had been made official, even though Kolston himself had said nothing, “... pulled Mistress Julina away from the trader so that the trader didn't have to have dealings with a mere woman. Mistress Julina, shortly afterwards, protested in the most forthright manner, as I confess is her wont, and correctly made the Administrator see the error of his ways. Unfortunately, circumstances conspired to prevent either the trader or the Administrator from apologising to Mistress Julina herself.

“However, the four men more directly involved, Masters Pyor and Shemel being the other two, later joined by Master Quizzen, all had frank and open discussions. The trader was left in no doubt that, if he wanted to be successful, then his attitude to women had to change. He was told, to his great surprise, that the lands he was in belonged to a woman, were administrated overall by a woman, and that women were valued members of our society. He was very thoughtful about this, and after a hand of moments, he apologised to the Administrator for having placed him in quite such an invidious position. He apologised to the room in general and wanted to apologise to Mistress Julina in person. However, she was at that heartbeat unavailable, so he went out to inform his travelling companions of the changes that would have to take place in their immediate future, if they were to have a successful season's trading.

“A noisy conversation erupted amongst the travellers which took a little while to be resolved, during which time Mistress Julina's party departed. So the trader had no chance to deliver personally his apology. The Administrator, as a result of all this, has publicly declared that a very dim view shall be taken of anyone discriminating against women in the future. I deem this to be a large stride in the development of our society and look forward with great hope to a future in which merit will be the guideline for advancement! I can but hope that this development spreads rapidly through our lands. It is overdue.”

“Maker! This is indeed good news, Master Steef, and I thank you for calling me from my kitchen to let me know.”

“You are very welcome, Mistress Pachet. Now I promised not to keep you long, so I have little more for you although I do have something more for the other ladies. For which you are very welcome to stay, of course,” he added hastily, lest he gave the impression of ordering her about in her own home.

“Nay, sir, my dough calls me – in the kitchen where I belong,” she said with a very attractive laugh and a sidelong glance as she exited once more.

Hello, I thought, is she interested in my Uncle? I knew her own man had died in a tree-felling incident, so she was 'available' so as to speak. Now what would …

“Right then Julina, there is some more news to impart. We have a half bell or so, as your men are all unloading that cement Goodman Kulyer brought up here. They are being shown around a little by Master Bezan, they being new to this area. However, they told me more about this Zia thing that you and Pyor were discussing with the trader. Master Bezan was exceedingly interested, saying something like: 'Well that would change some of the house designs, maybe!'

“You already know from your own discussions that there is nothing like an Exclusivity Licence on it, neither in Bandarabbas' own country nor here in Palarand, so the Administrator has sent an application for a Palarandi one in your name. As soon as the weather clears to send semaphores again, then one shall be swiftly on its way down to the capital, but the Administrator shall also send a letter with the Valley Messenger Service. These missives being clearly dated, and witnessed to such, lest someone else has the idea afterwards, but gets a message down there before yours, as it were.”

My mouth hung open. So did Pomma's. I didn't know what to say. That all this had gone on while I was sitting in a public toilet and crying my eyes out!

But then something struck me as being of great importance.

“But Uncle, the Zia knowledge is declared to be public. Rayzi Bandarabbas told me that himself, well he told Pyor but was aware I was listening. How can then an Exclusivity Licence be awarded?”

“We are talking within Palarand here, and I daresay there are agreements, concords, in place with neighbouring lands. No official lands exist between here and Chaarn, just territories controlled by … tribes, bands, societies, I know not the right word … except of course the new province of Ptuvilend … so this would be within Palarand and its trade agreement neighbours.”

“But 'twould be unethical to make money from this. I would have to give any profits to that Banadarabbas to feel comfortable within myself.”

“But what if someone else realises the possibility too, and THEY try to take out an Exclusivity Licence? Any one of these Zia things you use up in Blackstone would then have to be paid for when you yourself were the first to realise the potential.”

“Oh!”

Just then the door opened again and Master Bezan came in. Even though I was thinking of this new problem, I was glad to see him, for I had still to discuss with him my idea I had had down at the river, before I left in a bit of a state.

He obviously had heard a little of what we had said and asked for an explanation, which Uncle Steef gave him.

I think we were all surprised when he laughed and said: “That's easy! You just claim the Exclusivity Licence but add a clause to say that you give this freely to the general population. That way anyone can use the idea, and no-one else can make money off of it!”

“Maker! I didn't know you could do that!”

Again Master B laughed: “Then you won't be aware that the harness our beasts wear, and the attachments to the wagons, and the two-man woodcutter's saw, the humble shovel, the rake, oh and many, many, many more are all covered by 'open' Exclusivity Licences!”

“Do you tell us? Incredible. Then that is indeed what I shall do.”

“Excellent solution,” added Pomma.

“Now, Julina, ...” I saw Uncle Steef's eyes open as Master B addressed me thus, “... I have taken the liberty of sending your men on to the Forest Roadhouse, promising them that I shall escort you and Pomma, ...” again Uncle Steef's eyes showed surprise, “... there in time for the evening meal. Indeed I instructed them to reserve places for us. Much has happened since your departure and I would tell you some of it. Not just your departure from Blackstone, but also your departure from the dock. Your Master Quizzen has met his animal seller and indeed has purchased a dranakh named Zayring or similar. He has hitched said animal to a passing wagon on which he was permitted to ride; even now he is on his way back to Brayview, where I understand he shall cause several buildings to be constructed, as well as start a company operations. He apologises for not taking a more formal farewell, but the wagon opportunity was of necessity a rushed thing.”

He looked at Pomma and I with a knowing grin before concluding: “And I would wager you would enjoy going a little faster on Trumpa and Wiget than you have been so far constrained to do.”

Uncle Steef couldn't resist his outburst which came even as Pomma and I giggled loudly when we concurred with Bezan's statement: “I am somewhat surprised at the familiarity of yourselves, such that Master Bezan knows your names and those of your frayen!”

“Oh Uncle! 'Tis but most easily explained. Bezan is a frequent companion up in Blackstone when we take our morning rides. We are perchance as many as four hands or so of riders, including His Honour, the Captain, and we have long since been on informal terms with each other. Although we are not always all twenty or so together, sometimes just three or four.”

“Uncle? Ah yes, Steef is the brother of your step-mother. I had forgotten that. Come Steef, let us also be informal. We shall be working closely on this barging thing anyway.”

“You honour me, Bezan!”

“Oh, pish! We will work together so much better without having to watch all the formalities. Now I wonder if dear Pachet can be persuaded to find a pie or two, and perchance an ale?”

I realised with surprise that I too had a slight hunger, Pomma eye-spoke that she too could probably manage to nibble on something and Uncle got up a little too quickly (to my eyes) saying that he would go and see if he could arrange something. No sooner had the door closed behind him than Bezan made a little amused grunt and used his fingers to silently confirm my thoughts earlier – Uncle Steef and Mistress Pachet seemed to have a soft spot for each other.

And so it was that the five of us, for Mistress Pachet found some reason that she could join us, had a very pleasant light luncheon. We soon dropped the 'Mistress' bit, and my mood was quite restored by the friendliness of all the others.

“Bezan,” I started at one point, “I have had this idea ...”

Pachet looked on in wide-eyed wonder as the others all groaned theatrically, and I stuck my tongue out at them all. Uncle patted her hand in reassurance – and didn't take the hand away immediately, nor was it removed for many a heartbeat before Pachet gently picked it up with her other one. She reddened as she saw me watching, but my eye-speak reassured her that I was not angry or anything.

“... based on several factors that I have gleaned at Brayview and here. So, in best presentation style that I have learned in the Assembly meetings ...” Uncle and Pachet gasped in surprise, “... I shall lay out first my observations and fact-gathering before I tell you my conclusion.”

Bezan smiled, clapped his hands and mock-bowed before saying: “Indeed Steef, knew you not that Julina has attended many Assembly meetings? I can assure you that she is a very valued member of our community, and has been rewarded for her continued contribution of ideas. Is that not so, Pomma?”

“Indeed Bezan speaks the truth, perchance even understating the facts somewhat!”

I blushed, of course, and carefully didn't look at either Uncle nor Pachet as I began again: “In Brayview, I learnt that Blackstone County shall move its flour-milling to a village named Tamitil, which is urgently being made more accessible even as we speak. The residents of Tamitil and Brayview are however concerned that the supply of grain to the mills is awkward. The lands immediately across the river from Tamitil are not a part of Blackstone County and the population across there is very sparse. 'Twas rumoured that their only access to a market for their produce is down a narrow and winding track running along the West Bank all the way down to Tranidor, with no investment in what I was told as being the 'Infrastructure'.

“They also told me that the Princess' lands recently ceded to her are deserted, they being just too far away from Tranidor using the poor roads, and access from the north is restricted by the huge and jumbled waterfalls the river cascades down.

“I was also thinking of the future railroad things and requirements and whatever, as far as I understand them.

“I also remember the bridges built with those early trusses up at Blackstone and I have long wondered how a railroad bridge of sufficient strength across the Bray down at Tranidor would be made. I assumed that maybe a halting place would be constructed on the East Bank of the Bray and citizens requiring access to the railroad would simply cart their way across the Bray Bridge.” I grinned. “Or they could take a Bac. Which I would MUCH prefer.”

“Bac?” asked Bezan and Steef together as Pachet nodded her puzzlement at the same time.

“Another Julina idea that has been granted an Exclusivity Licence,” explained Pomma. “Bac stands for 'beck and call' and basically carts or small wagons are made available for any citizen to hire for a single journey by simply stopping an available vehicle in the street. For a premium over the Wender price, the carter then delivers the customer to his required address!”

“I think,” said Bezan slowly, “I understand, but what on all Anmar is a Wender?”

“Ah!” said Pomma, “a Wender is ...”

I interrupted quickly: “Excuse me everyone, but we shall be here all day discussing transport in Tranidor and soon in Blackstone; that we can do as we ride up to the Forest Roadhouse. I would respectfully request that I finish my idea here, for we may have to go down to the dock to inspect some things there if my idea is to be of any use.”

The others apologised for going off the original topic and I took a breath again before explaining my idea.

“I saw that Mall thing at the dock ...”

“Mole, dear. Mole.”

I nodded my thanks to Uncle Steef for his correction: “... Mole and saw that it has been built out into the river. Its upper surface is above the rains level you all assured us. So you must be confident that the footings of it will hold. So you must have some way of securing such footings against the rush of water. Well I saw that the first big rock thingy in the river, which has been there for untold years, is about the same distance away as the length of the bridges up near Blackstone where the Loop Road crosses the river.

“Now the river here at the dock is considerably narrower than it is down at Tranidor, and I just sort of thought that the building of a bridge here would be a lot simpler than when the river is so wide, so I was wond...”

“Maker! Julina! Of course. The railroad could cross the river here, and a narrow road too, which would open up the West Bank lands to farmers, would provide more grain for the mills just downstream, and would help with the barging too, for we wouldn't require the ropes across the river. And the bridge could actually be four or a hand of bridges, hopping as it were from rock to rock like stepping stones. And we have the rock they are removing from Kord Peak to make the bridge supports solid and even. Yes, indeed. Another wonderful thought, m'dear.”

Bezan's face had lit up with enthusiasm as more possibilities flooded into his brain. And, I confess, more possibilities than those of which I had originally thought.

… … …

We were quite late leaving Bezlet for I had had another idea while I was there, one that required me to give a quite stiff interview to Pachet without her realising I was doing so. Uncle Steef and Bezan both attested to her character and Pomma and I had made enquiries about her cooking abilities and so on, which subject was quite easily raised since I started with stories about the Salon. I was surprised when she said she had heard of it, and she was surprised when she realised that I was the one who ran it.

This was not too good for a little while because she was overwhelmed by talking to me and Bezan who were friendly with the Steward and with Administrator Kolston, the two figures of authority in her home lands. Uncle helped immensely there to put her at her ease. I learnt from her, with the occasional corroboration from Bezan, that a few more families had decided to chance settling nearby, seduced by the promises of a growing township when their lives had been so difficult up to now. One family she mentioned were particularly hard hit, with the father and the eldest child, their seventeen year old son, having to work hard to keep them and their mother and the child's four sisters fed and clothed.

Upon questioning, I discovered the daughters of the family ranged in age from sixteen down to thirteen. The eldest helped Pachet out sometimes, not just for coin but also to learn. The second had also expressed a wish to learn more than her mother was capable of teaching or doing.

I looked at Pomma and she looked at me, eye-speak wondering if what I was thinking was the same as that which she was thinking. Pachet caught some of it of course but she had not the background knowledge to tune in properly.

I changed the subject at that point and Pomma and I then began an explanation of Meglina Accommodation to the other three, who were all fascinated by the story of its formation.

“... And so, dear Pachet, I have decided that I would like to make you an offer.”

“An offer?” she replied, but I could see some dawning hope behind her eyes. “What sort of offer, and what do I have to do?”

“On behalf of Meglina Accommodation, I would offer to purchase your home at the current fair price. I deem this would give you a small profit on your original investment. I shall then employ you officially with a constant salary to turn this home into a well-appointed inn. You would require at least two staff extra and those two elder daughters you mentioned sound just right. They too would be paid a constant salary, not as much as yourself of course, but they would be guaranteed a slight income. Your pregnant ex-partner could probably be employed as well, once her baby duties relax slightly. By that time, I would expect you to have built the place up so much that there would be work for her again, either as an employee, or as a part-time helper. What think you?”

“Oh, Mistress Julina,” she said, slipping into formal address at this juncture, “that would be such a great help, I need think on it no longer, for I have struggled for far too long. I agree.”

“Before we complete all the formalities here in front of witnesses, I must say one thing further. Meglina Accommodation shall insist upon the highest possible standards of comfort, cleanliness and catering, at all times. If found wanting at any time, Meglina Accommodation reserve the right to cancel your contract at no notice. And you shall be entirely yourself responsible for Meglina Accommodation and its interests in Bezlet. Is that both clear and acceptable?”

“I have no fear of that eventuality, and will happily accept that condition.”

“So you are happy to be entirely responsible for the behaviour of anyone you employ?”

“Indeed. I would have it no other way.”

“Very well, so be it.”

Bezan fetched some reedlets and some paper, I fetched the copies of the agreements I had from Tranidor, and together we drew up a binding contract with many 'Heard and witnessed's from the other three, and the deed was done.

Bezan promised to help to supervise the new building program as he was here in Bezlet at least twice a week at the moment. Uncle Steef also promised to help wherever and whenever he could. I left a small amount of coin for Pachet so she could purchase supplies, not just comestibles, but other things like crockery, cutlery and both table and bed linen. She would need to find someone to make records for her.

Pachet did eventually break down and cry when I said as we were leaving: “And I shall send someone down to teach you and the girls to read and write and also to number. That is almost more important than anything else.”

She was about to say something else, but Pomma said urgently: “Is that smoke coming from your kitchens?”

… … …

“... and so Trooger was arrested. It was a very strange couple of days.”

“Maker, Julina, you do have some adventures don't you?”

“Well Uncle and Bezan, I can't say my life has been very quiet this year. Now, that's enough about me, Uncle tell us what bargemen do when they get to a destination!”

“That all depends of course on so many factors. Is the destination in a town, is it a remote location? Are there plenty of inns and ale-houses, is there just a hut? Yes, all those extremes exist and plenty of other docks in plenty of other places. However, I suspect you would like a word picture of how the Bezlet dock back down there shall be used?”

“Indeed, for I cannot see what would be a good idea for the men who arrive by barge. Do they assist with the loading and unloading?”

“Definitely! If the barge is loaded carelessly, then it could tip over entirely – but I can't believe that anyone would be so stupid as to just load, or unload, from one side only, leaving all the weight on t'other!”

“Maker,” exclaimed Bezan, “that would never have occurred to me! But now you have mentioned it, I understand entirely. That could be … Hey! Skanik! How's it going?”

He had called out to someone who was joining the main road from the river's side, from our left. A young man, also riding a frayen, whom I recognised as being Master Haldik's journeyman.

“Very well, Master Bezan! I greet you all, Masters and Mistresses. But I am headed in some hurry the other way, down to Bezlet to check on some design used down there.”

We all greeted him back and he waved to us as he turned away, heading for the village we had recentlyish left. We looked at Bezan though, for some explanation.

“Down that track from which he appeared is an old Chivan fort, in surprisingly good condition for a ruin.

“Her Highness Princess Garia declared that she wished this area to be preserved as well as possible, so that people never forget their origins. She declared that there should be a shelter there, with modern facilities, of course, but for one or two or three couples to be able to go and live simply for a break from their hectic lives. She assured us all that it will become necessary, even if we could not understand why just now.

“So we have now constructed the Retreat, as she termed it, with an expanse of some two marks of river bank, more downstream from the fort than upstream, since there is another set of falls just upstream, and there is a depth of about half a mark in from the river in which all shall be preserved as well as we are able. No development is allowed! Young Skanik is, as you know, Master Haldik the joiner's journeyman. He is using the Retreat and also Bezlet to show his Master's Works. ...” He broke off suddenly as he hit his head. “Steef, you escort the ladies alone, if you will, I need to go and tell Skanik about the developments in Bezlet and Brayview. He might wish to set up his own joinery in one of those places. And maybe I can get him to do his work for what was it? Meglina!”

So saying, he whirled his mount about and urged it into a fast pace, chasing after Skanik who was still in sight down the straight road.

“Skanik! Skanik!” he called as he raced away from us.

… … …

“Uncle, thank you for sending the girl to our room, that we might have our gowns pressed a little for this last night on the road.”

“And that bath was just wonderful,” added Pomma as we took our places at the table, accepting the compliments of the others in our party.

“You are more than welcome. 'Tis the very least I could do for my niece.”

“Do you still work here? I understood that you had another appointment?”

“Yes and no, m'dear. Now the dock is mostly finished, there is little more I can do until the barge we have had built is ready for me to go down to Haligo to inspect. It is doubtful to be completed before the rains, so I shall leave here once the rains cease. This also gives time for my replacement to be thoroughly trained.”

“Ah! I understand!”

And so our evening started.

Whilst we ate, we spoke much about many subjects and again the group of us seemed to bond some more. Bezan was called away by several other groups and Steef had his own duties, so we were left mostly on our own.

The dining room was nearly full, and several of the wagoneers tipped their heads to me, the ones I recognised from my lessons. Then one came over to us, one we had met last night at Brayview. A party of job-seeking hopefuls had filled the Shuttle so much, that some loads waiting already to be taken up to Blackstone would have to wait even longer, until the next Shuttle with space.

And so we agreed to carry the loads up for them at no charge since I deemed we would gain more from an act of generosity as we were going to be sub-contracted to Tanon's organisation after all. There was one package that was for the Assembly, and Bezan insisted that we carry it, since we were contracted to the Assembly first of all. That cleared up a little more room on the Shuttle, but we agreed to take even more since that almost brutal climb diagonally across the rock face tested anyone that was fully laden. The Shuttle man was most grateful indeed.

And the two who worked at the Forest Roadhouse, but who were going up to Blackstone for two days there to learn something other than just their job.

Almost as soon as my meal was over, I was prevailed upon to give a bell's worth of numbering lessons to a large group there and was embarrassed at their effusive thanks afterwards. I did not stretch it out that night, for there were some talented musicians there and many were calling for a dance.

Pomma and I were not, thankfully, the only women there that evening, and our feet were not so much danced upon as they had been the previous night. Nevertheless, we could still feel them when we collapsed onto our mattresses to sleep.

I slept deeply and soundly, so deeply and soundly that it was hard to rise when Pomma shook my shoulder in the morning.

… … …

Rabeez, Kulyer and Pyor were all impatient to be away in the morning, but I frustrated them by searching out the Shuttle man, rousing him from his slumbers even though the dawn had been near two bells before. He was consequently quite grumpy when I gave him certain instructions finishing with telling him, in front of 'my' three men: “Now, you are quite clear? We are leaving much earlier than you, and taking half or so of your passengers' belongings. They will not have access to them until they reach Blackstone, so please go and make absolutely sure they understand that. We shall leave everything in the Shuttle Shed, NOT at the Claw. You shall have to sort it all out when you get there, we cannot be responsible. We are just doing you a favour, and I shall be most upset if there is any sort of a problem with this. I shall inform Mistress Sukhana what has been done.”

His head jerked up when I mentioned Sookie's name. He suddenly realised that what I was saying was very serious. He grumped off, certain that this task was unnecessary and we waited for his return. Meanwhile the men had transferred all the stuff that was going on our wagons, and our two passengers were roused out with their belongings. The Shuttle man came back panting and gasping, and agreed that we could depart. None of his passengers required anything, he claimed.

We did so with a certain amount of relief on the men's part, at a much earlier time than almost anyone else. So early in fact that we had previously surprised the staff and it had been a bit awkward for them to provide a breakfast. It was almost a quarter bell after the second when we got underway, and noon today would be at just before the sixth. Without telling the others, I mentally aimed for being at the Claw by the seventh.

As we climbed the rockface, I mentioned the last time I had done so and Molly's inspired words. This set off the wagon load into singing. I had insisted that our three wagons were spaced out, just as the Captain had done when we descended that time. I saw some respectful looks when I gave them the reasons. Pyor's face showed that even he had just learnt something.

Once we had gained the upper level and made the left turn onto the road that would turn no more until we reached our destination, all three wagons closed up until we could all converse. The two workers at the Forest Roadhouse were a little overwhelmed and kept to themselves, although some facial expressions were quite comical to see as things were said that surprised them in some way. I deem they had a quite wide-ranging education for free that day.

We talked about a lot of subjects and the three men, Pyor, Rabeez and Kulyer wanted to know about Blackstone, and why it was suddenly THE growth centre of Palarand. That meant that I took on most of the chore of describing things, although Pomma shushed me at first, claiming that she had been there longer than I had been alive and could speak with authority about the previous 'boom' days before the sickness took most of the pakh.

We passed over the first of the two major streams, a crossing that I now knew meant we were about one eighth of the way from the top of the rock face to home, one eighth of the way from the turn at the foot of Strettalm to my suddenly fiercely missed home. It struck me that I had been away only five nights and yet it felt like five months, the amount of things that had happened.

I mentioned this to Pomma who likewise found it difficult to believe. We recounted aloud.

“First day, the 12th, we rode to Brayview with the Captain. Overnighted there. Next day, 13th, we arrived in Tranidor, met Rader, Rohid, Pyor, saw the house, invented the Bac system. Slept at Epp's. Next day, 14th, we appointed Pyor and Quizzen, met Trooger and the neighbours, Subrish arrived. Slept at Epp's. Next day, 15th, we had the Trooger showdown, cleared Jaffy's, appointed Nayet to Bormio's, appointed Jogantha, heard Subrish's amazing tale, Watch Captain arrived. Slept at Epp's. Next day, 16th, depart, met the Royal Party briefly, danced at Brayview where we slept. Yesterday, 17th, Bezlet stuff and Forest Roadhouse. Slept.”

“That's six nights,” said Pomma who had been counting on her fingers. “One overnight on the way down, three at Epp's and two on the return journey. Makes six.”

“Maker. And we did all that we did? Why aren't we exhausted?”

“I don't know about exhausted, but I'm full.” She raised her voice. “Masters and Goodmen, we need to have a little break. Unfortunately, we women cannot last so long as you lucky men can, so Julina and I need to scurry off behind a tree and some bushes.”

Our little convoy duly halted, on the side of the road to allow plenty of room for the almost constant traffic flowing downvalley to pass with no problems. Pyor held the reins of Trumpa and Wiget while we two scurried indeed into the undergrowth.

It is never the most comfortable, doing it that way, but we were just finishing up, ripping up tufts of greenery to wipe with, when we heard a distant crashing deeper in the wood. We squealed, wiped quickly, adjusted our attire and scampered back to the road, which we reached as the crashing behind us got louder and louder. Saras and Booch started jiggling nervously, but Hedda and Roogen, the two dranakh, just turned their heads inquisitively and stared at the side of the road from where the crashing was coming.

Pyor was struggling trying to control four frayen, but Kulyer and Rabeez sat placidly, the latter saying laconically: “'Tis a dranakh. And peaceful, else ours would be fretting.”

I took Trumpa's reins from Pyor, Pomma took Wiget's and by and by they calmed down a little, leaving Pyor to scamper round to the two pulling frayen's heads and also settle them slightly.

Then the crashing stopped. There was pause until, ever so slowly, a dranakh's head poked out through the last screen of bushes.

I was not the only one to laugh out loud, but was the only one to call out: “Josten!”

He came out slowly, sniffing deeply. He went straight to the wagons that had been Jaffy's and turned his head to me in seeming approval. I mentally thanked Pyor and was shocked when Josten's head swivelled to examine him.

Then I was shocked once more.

For Josten was followed out of the undergrowth by another dranakh.

“Taneesa!” I recognised her from her black-tipped tail.

The four dranakh whiffled, clicked and snickered briefly together then Josten came up to me. Pomma took Trumpa's reins as I hugged Josten's neck. He looked at me, he looked at Pyor's small wagon and then at the two frayen.

I suddenly realised that he wanted to pull the wagon, but even as I thought that, I realised with dismay that we had no appropriate harness with us; he lowered his head in disappointment, snickered some more and then led Taneesa away again, back into the forest. They went much more silently this time, and I realised that the great noise they had made when approaching was done so as to announce their arrival.

I had turned round to remount Trumpa when I realised that all the men were staring at me, again with a sort of respect showing in their eyes.

Pyor broke the silence: “I have never seen nor heard of a dranakh keyed to a woman!”

“Oh pish, man. That second dranakh, Taneesa, is just as fond of Mistress Megrozen. And 'tis said, Her Highness the Princess can even communicate with them.”

… … …

The next time we crossed a major stream, I knew that now we were five eighths of the way from Strettalm. Soon we would break out of the trees and see my home town, which would be glowing in the midday sun. I fancied I could already detect a difference in the light ahead of us.

And so it soon proved.

Again, I got the wagons to stop, just to drink in the sight that made my insides soar in delight. I pointed out various things to the three men and then we carried on, Pomma one side of Kulyer's wagon whilst I was on the other side. Rabeez was leading and Pyor was bringing up the rear.

I pointed out the steep and narrow canyon to our right that led up to the hunting vales beyond Blackstone Vale itself and we swiftly came to the next landmark - the Bunkhouse and the Loop Road junction. I showed the men the arrangements there and called to Rabeez: “Keep straight. We follow this road directly to the Claw, where I deem you shall be overnighting. Taking the Loop Road will add nigh on four marks to our journey.” I used my finger to point out the route of the Loop Road and added: “It is so wide because one half of the traces you can see are earmarked for this railroad thing whenever it arrives.”

I pointed out where the fish farm was located, hidden behind its screen of trees. It lies just below another canyon, the one where the bandits had camped out before the attack on Her Highness. Then there was another canyon to our right, but as we crossed the stream that flowed from it, I gasped out loud: “Maker! Look up there, to our left, about half left. There is a road almost completed that goes up to the Stone Sea!”

Pomma exclaimed: “Maker indeed! They have been quick. And look there are three wagons descending, and one ascending even.”

I turned my attention back to the road we were on and pointed out a road markstone: “One mark from home! These markstones are measured actually from the Steward's House. You shall soon get to know things like that.” As I finished speaking, I heard the seventh bell announcement. I smiled in satisfaction. We were there in Blackstone already, just a bell and a bit after the Shuttle had departed the Forest Roadhouse.

Then we were rattling across the bridge, passing the level ground there, up the slope a little way and finally we were turning into the Claw.

“Welcome home, 'Lina, Pomma!” called Parry, detailing two lads to come across to us. He himself approached close enough for me to make the introductions even as I was patting Trumpa who was showing her own gladness at being home. Not to say that Wiget wasn't.

“Is Sookie around? I need to discuss something with her before too long. Goodman Kulyer's wagon contains items that are to be left in the Shuttle Shed. The Shuttle is packed with job-seekers and we lightened their load for them. And Pyor here has a package for the Assembly – are they in the Salon still or does that need to get to the Community Hall?”

“Nay, 'Lina. The Assembly have elected to remain in the Salon until Milady decides what she wants in her Hall. Her Highness, I mean. I doubt I shall ever get that right! Such a pakh-brain.”

“Very well. May we park for a bell, for we have hunger and thirst? And I deem these fine men need to be introduced to a Sookie brew as soon as we may!”

“Well, I can let you have a bell or two, but then it shall start to get busy, and I deem Sookie will have to make the final decision. We had to move out that wagon of Jafferkin's, yours now isn't it? It was taking up too much room. 'Tis over in the paddock, up against your house's wall, as near as we could get.”

“Pomma and I need the facilities, but we shall lead these fine men into the common room first. I deem these two frayen, Saras and Booch, the latter has the dark-tinted off-side haunch, shall require a night or two of the 'special' treatment, although Trumpa and Wiget have calmed them a bit already, I have noticed.”

“Very well, I shall arrange that for tonight, we have space in the resident's stable. The load in the small wagon can be transferred to the one that is going up to the Shed, and we shall park the wagon in the corner. Fine paintwork on those two I see. You must have found an expert. And in Milad … House Blackstone colours. A nice touch.”

Behind him, Pyor shook his head slightly and I realised that he wanted to introduce himself in his own way, so I kept a silence just then.

The other necessary little tasks were done or delegated, and then I led our trio into the common room, for a belated lunch – a company lunch, I decided there and then.

As it happened, Sookie was in there and she saw us come in, so she ushered us to a table, smiled knowingly when Pomma and I pointed in the direction of a certain door, and let us go as soon as I had made the introductions. Just the bare introductions for now. The rest would have to wait for a moment or two.

Sookie hugged me and Pomma when we came back, walking stiffly because of the long and many bells we had had in the saddle. She indicated the table and there were two mugs, a big pot of pel, a plate of pastries and three half-empty mugs of ale. I smiled as the men wiped the froth from their upper lips and grinned in satisfaction, nodding to each other as the quality of the ale pleased them.

I knew that lunchtime in the Claw was usually very quiet as most of the wagoneers were on the road at that juncture, so I asked Sookie what food she could serve us. As I suspected, the choice was relatively limited, but the men all chose the same thing. Pomma was strangely silent indicating that the pastries were sufficient for her. I did not dwell on it for my mind was churning, trying to make sure I had marshalled everything I wanted to tell Sookie. I too ordered the same as the men, and Sookie took the order over to her girl.

She was about to do something else when I called her back: “Sookie? Do you have a hand or two of moments? There is so much I have to tell you! Business, not just chatter.”

“Give me a hand of moments first, 'Lina. I shall have to arrange another girl to do my serving duties.”

While she was away, I told the trio about her background, how she came here, and her future husband. They looked confused when I referred to him as another Uncle, but that was soon cleared up and Sookie smiled as she sat down to join us, confirming my last statement.

I was about to start with my topic, when Pomma interrupted: “Julina, if you would forgive me, I shall make my way home now. You need me no longer and my man awaits me there. You shall be fine now we are home, so, with your permission, I shall leave you here.”

“Oh Pomma, how could I be so thoughtless? You don't need my permission! Please go, and take my best wishes to Waldan!”

And so another moment or two was taken up in saying all the good-byes to Pomma, who gave me a final peck on my cheek before swinging round on her heel and marching out of the door. I knew that she chose that door because she would scrounge some nibbles for her Wiget and she would see to the animal before going up the slope to her home.

“Now Mistress Sukhana, let me formally present Master Pyor, just completing his Journeyman stage having been under Master Rader down in ...”

“Master Rader! How is the old fraud? Still complaining about working too much but not actually doing anything?”

“I see you know him well, Mistress Sukhana,” replied Pyor with a laugh. A laugh that Rabeez joined in with as well. Kulyer's silence was noted by Sookie, but she said nothing at that point.

“And this is Goodman Rabeez, an independent wagoneer that worked for Master Tanon's company, usually appointed by Master Rohid.”

“Welcome to Blackstone, Goodman Rabeez, and to the Ptuvil's Claw in particular.”

“And finally, this is Goodman Kulyer, formerly of Palarand City, but now, at least for the next few months, of Blackstone.”

“Goodman Kulyer, welcome also.”

“Now, Sookie, er.. Mistress Sukhana, you shall remember that I inherited dear Jaffy's belongings when he died ...”

“Yes, indeed. He died upstairs in this very building!” she added as an aside to the trio of men.

“And you will further remember that Uncle, your Master Brydas,” Sookie blushed slightly but grinned delightedly when I mentioned his name, “and you sort of suggested I use Jaffy's wagons to bring in some coin and to be a proper memorial to him.”

“Indeed I do. Indeed I do.” She looked more knowingly at the three men seated with us.

“And finally, you shall remember that I left here a week ago, in the company of our Steward?”

“Yes?”

“Well, when we got to Brayview, Epp's Shemel and I formed a company called 'Blackstone Wagons' ...”

“Yes, His Honour told me that when he returned and Master Mesulkin filled me in on the details. Blackstone Wagons shall be an addition to Master Tanon's vehicles for me, or rather my new Arranger, Goodman Mutab, to schedule whenever the Assembly have no need of the vehicles.”

“Indeed. Well these Goodmen here shall be our drivers based in Blackstone with their wagons, Kulyer has his dranakh named Roogen, and Rabeez has just been paired with Hedda, another new acquisition by Blackstone Wagons. There shall be another driver to be found up here, and possibly a fourth even. Goodman Kulyer has agreed to be the scheduler for you, or I suppose this Goodman Mutab, to liaise with. We shall need to find some accommodation for them, for their wagons and for their beasts.”

“And for Master Pyor?”

“Now he is special! He is the Blackstone Wagons appointed wheelwright and shall maintain a workshop down at Brayview, giving priority to any Tanon vehicle, after Blackstone vehicles of course. He is here just to see the town and to understand more of what goes on here, so he might have a wider view of the world than he has so far had. His father, Master Quizzen shall be the Blackstone Wagons depot manager and, what did you call it, oh yes, Arranger, based down in Brayview. Master Quizzen is an experienced wagoneer himself and has skills in office duties too. He is currently down in Brayview arranging for our offices to be built, a home for his family to be built, and a workshop for his son here to be built.”

“I deem I shall be in frequent contact with this Master Quizzen, then?”

“Indeed, or so I believe. But more frequently with Goodman Kulyer here.”

She sat upright and raised her hand in command but we were not certain just who she was commanding. Then it became obvious.

Her serving girl came trotting over almost immediately.

“Marnie, could you be so kind as to fetch Goodman Mutab as soon as he can? Thank you!”

The girl dropped a quick curtsey and dashed off to the door I knew led to the offices.

“As for sleeping, your two can have a corner of the dormitory upstairs, if that will suffice them?” The two men nodded.

“Stabling is not required, I assume, for your, as mentioned, only dranakh?”

“We do have two frayen with us, but they shall return downvalley with Master Pyor when he leaves. I took the liberty of asking Parry to stable them with the resident's beasts. I deem such a beneficial atmosphere will do them good.”

“Good thinking! I approve. Ah! Goodman Mutab, please sit with us for a short while.”

I looked at the man as the introductions dragged on, and saw a lively intelligent face on a short and wiry body. A small permanent frown and slight squint made me believe his eyes were not the best. His hands had the look of those who write much, ink stains here and there, and his right sleeve cuff was more worn than the left one.

After some short discussions, it was agreed that Kulyer would share a corner of his office, Mutab declaring he would be glad of some company from time to time, when Kulyer was not out on the road himself. The two of them went off together to to inspect the office as Sookie and I tried to sort out Pyor's requirements.

“Perchance Master Pyor might like to stay with Master Trokos while he is here in Town? I know not if he has room or anything, but mayhap we could send an urchin ...”

She broke off as Em came bounding in, a huge welcoming grin plastered across her face. I had time to whisper to Pyor “Trokos is our wheelwright” before I was enveloped in a hug and then the inevitable introductions were done. Em said she had met Pomma and rushed straight down here.

We sat down once more and were just about to start when again we were interrupted.

It was the Steward himself who came in, beaming, saying: “Welcome back Mistress Julina! No,” he said to all the room, “please continue. I do not mean to disturb you.” He turned back to us.

And so the introductions were done again, this time including Kulyer who had returned.

And then the brief descriptions of the men and their duties were repeated.

“Now, how far behind you might the Royal Party be? What did Commander Feteran say to you? I assume you spoke with him?”

And so I replied by describing Subrish's challenge, noticing a small frown of disapproval on the Steward's face as I mentioned the incident. I gave him what information I could, Pyor confirmed it. The Captain I could see was interested in the Subrish tale, but had no immediate time for it.

Just then, our food arrived and there was the usual clatter and clamour associated with that.

It provided the impetus for the Steward to stand prior to taking his leave: “The weather has still cut us off from Tranidor and the Blackstone One station reports that it is thickening and they themselves will soon have to shut down. I wish I knew with some more accuracy the actual arrival, but in the days before the semaphore we would have had to cope, so we shall do so now. Thank you for your message, at least we have a general idea which I deem is better than no idea at all. I shall act assuming they stayed in Tranidor the two nights and shall have two overnights on the way up. That means they should arrive the day after next. Very well,” he announced loudly to the room, “carry on all.” He turned back to us and said in a more normal voice: “I shall have need of a Blackstone Wagon for all of tomorrow, for just local work, but there shall be a trip down to Tamitil for the day after the Royal Party arrives. Enjoy your meal, which I confess looks quite tempting, Mistress Sukhana.”

He swept out again, leaving us all with a feeling of breathlessness somehow.

We then, at last, managed to sort out Pyor's accommodation for Em said she had a room if Master Trokos and his wife were unable to put him up.

And so I turned to Sookie then and asked what I thought was a simple question, one that would allow me to eat more than talk: “So, tell me what has happened in Town since my departure!”


up
189 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hi Julia honey

Sav Sara's picture

I hesitate to mention it, but I noticed that your fingers seem to have swelled recently!

Quite early on I caught a couple of instances of double keying - you have one instance of ., (that's a period followed by a comma) and you had an instance of ion when it should have been in.

But I just admire you for the way you invoke the atmosphere of those times.

Thank you for a consistently good read.

Savannah.

Thank you so much

I write my stories, read them through, polish them, read them through, polish them, read them through, send them to a beta-reader, read them through, leave them two days, read them through, post them. And still these wretched little errors get through!

Thank you for pointing these out.

When I checked I found one more error too (of instead of off)

And I forgot to include the HTML code to make the thoughts in italics.

So I feel bad about this one.

But I thank you for pointing it out.

All the best

Juliia

water supply

Water in Tranidor;
Like in New York city, add water cisterns atop buildings. Otherwise water towers.

Specifically, a water tower or two to feed the 3 buildings that Julina & Megrozen bought in Tranidor. This would go really well with the spoken of modern conveniences. Bezlet may have an easier solution if the water tower/cistern feeds the village.

Water may need to be pumped by a coal/coke fired steam engine.

Water tanks.

Sav Sara's picture

Water tanks have already been mentioned by Julina - quite recently my mind says. They were, I'm sure, in the topics Julina raised about the alterations to the two houses to make into one hotel. I have no doubt that our author will have that all already in hand.

Savannah

water tank

It is mentioned in 58. However, the meaning is vague.

Aah, dialects butting heads again.

Aah, dialects butting heads again. We use different expressions here in the deep south. Thank you.

(Much earlier there hot water tanks being designed -- led by Julina.)

Whew!

With the Alien's ability to predict the future, I wondered if they were like the "Wormhole Aliens" who had a different concept of time.

When I read the last sentence in SEE 138, I wondered if in JOB 061 Julina's party would find (the returned) Garia (if time passed differently for the ("Wormhole") Aliens). Fortunately, that didn't happen. When I started reading this chapter, I immediately stopped when I read of the rustling in the bushes (I was hoping for seven and a half months of Juliana before the next chapter of SEE)! After a pause, I continued reading. When it was revealed that the rustling in the brush was only Dranakn I was relieved. Whew!

Thanks Julia for resolving my confusion regarding property rights (that surfaced in the prior Chapter of JOB).

So many changes coming fast

So many changes coming fast and furious to all of Palarand, Anmar, and especially to Blackstone Vale. Even it appears once Garia returns to Anmar and reunites with Keren, so much more will happen rapidly.
Will be fun to see how it does.

I liked the whole dranakh interaction too

I would hope in SEE current time frame that dranakh are studied thoroughly and people are deliberately talking to them now and building up a relationship and community with them. Big question is of course: what are the dranakh doing in this modern age? Why do dranakh basically volunteer (hire?) themselves out to do such labors? What do they get out of it?

To me, a big part is that they like interacting with another intelligent species. In a way, it is a marker of sorts to have a dranakh as that means they approve of you. If they do not, then there is something really wrong. They should make a great checker of whether that person should be allowed to have a firearm. Though why they did not intervene more forcefully when Garia was attacked with guns and stuff on the way home, after her trip to Blackstone is not clear.

Comment on property rights

It seems that this Chaarn society is Arabian in origin. Though that causes some curiosity in that they seem to have a concept of the creative commons that Palarandi society does not. On Earth, creative commons originated with the English during the late middle ages and Arabian society still hasn't really adopted it. On the other hand, it would seem that Palarandi society while lacking the concept of creative commons does have the concepts of "copyleft" and "open patent", which came to modern western society only with the advent of computers and in many ways is still struggling to catch on.

It's unclear of course what human stock Palarandi society originates from. While in many ways they appear to resemble pre-Industrial Europe, the only actual time a European stock gets specifically mentioned is speaking of Garia's recent addition to the royal lineage of a "recent" Germanic trace into the then-Keren's DNA by the explorers from one of Earth's colonies who finally discover a much advanced Anmar 200+ years from now at the end of SEE.

We know from AO that Palarandi society PREDATES and SURVIVED the Chivan's who died out and were displaced Romans, so while some Palarandi likely have some Roman ancestry, and the Chivan's did have many cultural impacts upon the Palarandi who survived them, it won't be the predominant origin. It certainly wouldn't be the origin of their property rights code, since it in no way resembles ancient Roman property rights.

Abigail Drew.