Julina of Blackstone - 083 - Filling Stations

Printer-friendly version

Julina’s life begins to settle down after a hectic phase

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

083 – Filling Stations


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2018 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
083 – Filling Stations

“That was all very interesting,” said Davvy as we rode up stretch of the road that led as straight as an arrow to home. We had started late and we were not travelling over-speedily since I reckoned that, having originally planned for a simple day trip and instead having had two overnights, then it was pointless rushing to get back to where others would have already laid plans to cover our absences. We were also grateful for the coolness of the trees and woodland all around us. The descending wagons we had passed had all told us that today was going to be a hot one.

Once they got over their shock at seeing two unescorted females a’riding.

“To which part of our activities are you referring?”

“Weeeelllllll ...” she said slowly. “I suppose last evening ... as well as all that we have seen and done so far this morning, now I think on it more deeply.”

“Go on.”

“Your discussions with the Bargemaster early last evening, and then with him and Master Bezan when he came across to join us later, about the railroad - as he and Master Bezan decided to call it – were most … instructive. I had not realised, well that is not fully pictured in my head, just how it was going to be. It all made perfect sense after you all explained it to me, but ’twas the getting there where I feel I let you down.”

“Oh Davvy, don’t be such a ked. You were wonderful. Your questions made us all realise that we need to simplify matters a lot when explaining to other untrained persons. What was important is that most of the people would not even have understood it all at the end, but you did. You are a highly intelligent woman, young lady. There really is no need to keep doubting yourself.”

“Well, frankly, if you had not used the knives and forks in a string, one behind the other, I doubt I would have managed to grasp it all. And that, incidentally, also helped me understand the rail problem and why there are now piles of rails at the bottom and at the top of the traverse behind us.

“And then when Master Bezan used HIS string of knives and forks, only then did I understand the requirement for two parallel tracks. And I understood that ’twould be expensive to lay two parallel tracks down ALL the way, so we would need passing places, just like on narrow roadways for wagons - which in turn made me suddenly appreciate the need for those point things of Pyor’s and the Princess’ differing specifications. And that made me aware of the wharfside suggestions too.”

She paused for breath, so I then spoke: “I too learnt a lot, not the least of which was that the rails shall be held apart at a constant distance by attaching them to tree trunks split in half and placed every half stride along the length of the way. Every half stride! That is an ENORMOUS amount of halved tree trunks. Alright, a felled tree can be cut into say four of the lengths required, and then those halved, giving eight supports. But that shall be an entire tree to have just four strides of track! And I also found it fascinating that where the rails shall cross a road, then the road surface shall be levelled off to the same height as the top of the rails, rather than digging channels for them and burying the rails down.”

“Yes, except for at places like the wharf. That was a good idea of yours, ’Lina, to suggest that the wharf area down in Bezlet shall require several parallel tracks so that the way can be kept free for through trains and not be blocked by any unloading activity.”

“That seemed just obvious to me as soon as Master B suggested that there would be cargo trains and passenger trains separately.”

“And I saw their reactions to your other suggestion of making the roadway and track crossing during the rainy season when wagon traffic becomes not a factor. Under a tent roof no less. That was a great idea. They were most impressed since there shall be a bunkhouse nearby to each of the two crossings to be built. Workers can dash back there to dry out.”

I tried not to preen at her praise as I said: “What amazed me most of all though, was the amount of broken rocks we shall require for the track laying!”

“Indeed, but there shall be much of that, as Master Bezan said, as discards from the mining. When he explained that the tree halves, with the rails nailed to them from above, shall have to sit on a quite deep pile of broken rock so that any normal rainfall may drain away, I was again suddenly hit by the sense of it all.”

“And what I found also staggering and difficult to grasp was the sheer volume of all the requirements this railroad shall have; I cannot imagine how the benefits of all this shall even begin to cover the costs.”

“Indeed, ’Lina, ’tis the ‘sheer volume’, as you term it, of it all that makes my poor mind reel. Even the numbers that the Bargemaster spoke about when detailing the barging possibilities.”

“Ah, yes. That earlier discussion was also very interesting and informative, I found. And the fact that there is a chance for the barging operation to start in a limited fashion in the autumn, before the winter grips. I had not appreciated the absolute importance of a tow path, though. It did make a sort of sense at the end, once all the factors had been explained.”

“Wasn’t it strange the differences ’twixt the barge designs above and below Haligo?”

“Oh, yes! Now that was amazing at first, but once again it seemed sensible when Uncle Steef explained that below Haligo, barges could in fact reach to the open sea and/or travel up that main river – the Sirrel. Whereas above Haligo, they had only the Palar and the side valleys upon which they could navigate. I knew, of course, from stories that Haligo was somewhat of a restriction to the river and its valley, but I had not appreciated just how much so until he described it to us.”

“I still find it difficult to picture in my mi...”

“Mistress Julina, Mistress Davabet!”

Our heads whirled round at hearing our names called. Instinctively we reined in once we had identified that this was no threat.

Coming up behind us was a hand of mounted men, with some load-carrying frayen as well, one of them bearing a strangely-wrapped load that was somehow forbidding, or ominous, or something; worrying at a visceral level somehow.

“Captain Subrish! This is a surprise. I thought you were still on the Ptuvilend side of the ridge that separates the Vale from the Chaarn Road.” My eyes flicked from him to the other men, but always returning to that remarkable load. I took notice of the fact that all the men seemed tired as well as grim.

“No Mistress,” he said, in a quite sombre tone. “We needed to return hastily.”

I gasped as all the little clues coalesced in my head. “You have a … body with you?”

“Aye, Mistress, that we have. We are in some haste now, for the pyre is set for this afternoon, according to the semaphores we have sent and received. I regret that this poor man fell to his death some days ago now, and we must be swift. Shall I detail some of these men to escort you both?”

Rapid eye-speak with Davvy allowed me to answer: “Nay, Captain. We shall accompany you – if you can all keep up with us, that is.”

This raised smiles amongst the men, but smiles that were erased quite quickly as the sadness of their current mission returned home to them. And their tiredness. And I daresay their general unwashedness, which had become … noticeable.

We set off once more, at a pace a good deal brisker than that which Davvy and I had so far employed.

“Captain,” I began. “How knew you that we were us from so far behind?” I ran that sentence once more through my head for it felt awkward just as soon as I had uttered it. Nope - ’twas fine, I deemed.

“Mistresses, we have paused briefly at Brayview first for some better sustenance than sleeping rough in the woods had so far allowed us. We had some sleep and some solid food there. There we split up, the Prince Torulf and his men joining the Prince Keren and his caravan, for they had spent some time investigating around there – awaiting also the arrival of course of us with the Einnlander group and also the Vardenale group who had been investigating Ptuvilend with Count Terinar and company. We parted as soon as we might, Prince Keren though insisted we take a few bells for resting our animals as we went. He recognised their fatigue as well as ours. I confirm that he was quite right. Had we just continued to press along quite so hard, I doubt we would have managed to reach even to here.

“We took his further advice and took on board some small refreshments at Bezlet and also at the Forest Roadhouse, where there was much amazed talk of the two females travelling alone somewhere ahead of us. Your identities were told us there. Downwards travelling wagons also confirmed your whereabouts. I was taken aback somewhat when I discovered that many of those drivers were able to say precisely who you were. How come you know quite so many of them?”

I laughed before I fully realised that that reaction might not have been quite so well received, given their poor bundle on that one pack animal. I therefore stammered a little as I replied: “Welll … er … sev … that is, a lot of them have been in my writing, reading and numbering classes, as well as the fact that a not insignificant number of them are actually my employees.”

“Employees?”

“Yes, Captain. Of Blackstone Wagons – I have a half share in that company.”

“Of course. Those factors had temporarily escaped by mind.”

The big question was hanging in the air around us, but neither Davvy nor I had the courage to formulate it. Just as the silence began to think about getting awkward, Subrish sighed loudly.

“Allow me to explain how our mission went.”

We nodded.

“Way up there, at the very edge of the Blackstone Vale, the ridgeway is attained relatively shallowly from the Vale side, but looking over it, the ground drops precipitately on the other side. ’Twould have taken us a lifetime or two to investigate that ridgeway as thoroughly as I had been determined to do from the outset. But the Einnlanders were magnificent. They, it appears, are far more used to mountainous country than anyone else I have ever met. Ropes, animals and teamwork were all employed together, one man was lowered over the edge, the others and their frayen all took the strain as the dangler started to thrust against the cliff face there. This enabled him to gain some half a cast almost of extra viewpoint and he looked both ways along the face. Under the guidance of the dangler (they each took a turn although I had to refuse the Prince permission to take his for I had been tasked with his safety amongst other things) we advanced fifty or so strides along the ridge at a time.

“By and by, an outcrop was found upon which the dangler could stand. He there discovered a fault on the far side of it. They were all talking away in their tongue of course, so no-one else other than I could understand – even then, I doubt I actually grasped more than a third of it. But nevertheless the dangler was drawn up once more, we as a party were spread out away from the ridge itself, whilst the two strongest of the men started banging heavy hammers against some of the rock on our side, working in unison, one after the other, so that a blow came just about every half heartbeat. After some quarter of a bell of this, as they were just tiring, suddenly a crack in the rock appeared. ‘’Twas but a short while after that that, with a roar, a good six, maybe seven, strides of the ridge itself fell away into Ptuvilend.

“This enabled the Einnlanders all to then stand on the outcropping and yet more pairs of eyes could minutely examine the steep rockface. Eventually, they determined a spot some half a mark from us for us to move to. By then, ’twas nearing nightfall, so we moved to their new spot and built a campfire and so on. Although cool, the night was not too chilly, and the next day we employed more eyes using the lessons the Einnlanders had conveyed as we sat around the fire the evening before.

“This keen-eyed young man ...” Subrish’s hand indicated one of the Rangers with him, “… then spotted a distinct animal track further along the face, some cast in height below us. A pair of us walked along the Valeside of the ridgeway and marked the spot before returning to the camping area.

“We then learnt another lesson.

“For we did nothing until I estimated it to be around the noon mark.

“Then the wisdom of the Einnlanders became clear. By that time, the sun had moved sufficiently to such an angle that it created lines of shadows. And that revealed a difficult, but not impossible, way for us to descend to not far from the head of the animal track. All the while, those Einnlanders were wondering why the animal track stopped where it did. We later discovered that there was a small cave up there. The animal droppings were not fresh, though, so we were reasonably certain that the cave had been deserted for some while.

“Our way, down which we picked our travel most carefully, joined the animal track about two strides in height below that cave mouth. The frayen were the most nervous of us all during that descent, to such an extent that we humans had to port the greater part of the loads to let the beasts be comparatively unburdened. Where our descent joined the animal track, there was a wider length so we managed to get the nervous animals down to that point, before reloading them. They could descend the steep track we took – more a scratch than a track really – only with encouragement and singly, so it took all afternoon for our entire party to gain that comparative safety.”

He shook his head as he recalled it all. After a moment or two during which they were all silent, he gestured for the keen-eyed lad to come forward and join us. “Maybe, Klum, you should do some of the describing. It shall be good practice for you to learn how to make reports. That is something that you shall be doing a lot of in your upcoming career.”

The young lad, well young in comparison with the more grizzled Captain, got a little red-faced but nevertheless took up the tale.

“Again, the Einnlanders showed us their wisdom. They refused to do any but the most basic of maintenance upon the path we were taking. When asked why, they had a simple reply. ’And if this track does NOT bring us safely to the valley floor?’ As it happened, they were constantly studying the ground to either side and beneath us, straining to see where we would be taken.

“At one point, they surprised us by insisting we set out upon an uphill, untracked stretch where the slope was still steep, but not nearly as vertical as it had been mostly so far. They marked either end of this piece of our way that it might be more easily found again.

“All except those Einnlanders were surprised when, after maybe a hundred strides, we came across a wider, more well-worn track that led far more comfortably downhill. There was an almost circular patch there, about twice the size of any mountain hut, and a generous stream that had carved a deep gully across the track. This deep gully was easily stepped over so was no hindrance.

“They visibly relaxed when we got there and the Prince told us that this was a good spot for the building of the emergency hut that had been planned to be somewhere on this hillside. He further explained that with a so well frequented track as this one was, there would be no major obstacles now, obstacles that we would have to work too hard to conquer at least. And they were proved to be absolutely correct when we eventually completed our journey to the Chaarn Road. We chose that spot as our work camp, to be the depot for our tools and loads and also for our sleeping.

“But the Prince then explained that we had three more overnights in the wild before we would do that final part of our descent. Now we had to go back up the tracks we had used and do what we could to widen and tidy up the awkward patches we had encountered. There would be nothing we could do for the dangerous part with which we had started down, that would need to be worked upon by engineers from above. So for the next days we were working hard from dawn to dusk, and I dare say we have provided, until the weather interferes, a workable track.

“But ’twas on that third day that our ...” he gestured to the wrapped body “… disaster struck, in the midst of a natural wonder that I doubt many have been gifted to see.

“We were first notified that something was up by an increased nervousness emanating from the frayen. It took me a long time to see the reason for this, for ’twas, as far as I knew, not the normal season for them. But eventually, I turned my gaze skywards. I scanned the skies for quite a bit before I saw the grakh up high, flying from a direction just a little east of south. I had neither expected that direction, nor had I expected that height.

“But then I gasped. I wa...”

“Gasped? He almost shouted out sufficiently loudly to burst our ears, as he directed our attentions to the view above us,” interrupted Captain Subrish.

Kulm looked a little embarrassed at that, but shrugged and continued: “I had seen ANOTHER grakh, this one coming from just north of east. And it was obviously adjusting its course to intersect that of the other one’s. We wondered what this meant and I continued to scan the skies for any more but failed to spot any before one of my colleagues gasped. I looked to him and saw he was pointing to the two we knew about.

“Suddenly, high up above us, a battle had been joined.

“And what a fierce battle it was. All of us stood and watched, mouths agape, as the two of them fought it out, even the Einnlanders claimed they had never seen such. The frayen were disturbed but were still in control of themselves, just. I deem that was because this battle of the skies was so far above us and also a fair distance away from us, as far as I could tell. The two ferocious combatants were gradually losing height but we didn’t actually notice that until the battle was decided.

“Which event occurred suddenly. One heartbeat they were wheeling and clawing; at the next, it was all over. One’s wing had collapsed and the beast spiralled down to crash into the hills across the valley. The victor flew unsteadily upwards again and also back in the direction from which he (or she, I suppose) had appeared.”

“Maker! That must have been an experience! I cannot recall anyone ever mentioning seeing grakh fight, let alone seeing them do so in mid-air!”

“Hold, Mistress. There is more!” His voice had turned … strained.

There was a general murmur of agreement from the other four men. One that was fraught with feeling somehow.

Klum took a deep breath, as if to steady his nerves, before continuing grimly: “As we looked over to see if we could see where the loser had come to ground, there was another beast that flashed down and grabbed the wriggling grakh in its jaws. Not that we could see that the beast was wriggling at that heartbeat.”

Again a pause, again a deep, calming breath that did little to ameliorate the dread in his tone: “None of us had before seen a live ptuvil!”

Aaaah! Now I understood the gritted teeth and the attempts to calm himself. Davvy and I just had to squeal a little, certainly the noises we produced were more than a gasp.

Klum’s voice had now changed to a tone of wonderment and almost embarrassment it seemed. I realised then and there that this event had shaken him to the very core of his being: “And we could do nothing but stare at it. We were all frozen into immobility. Frayen and men, Einnlanders too. Some sense of dread entered us and we could not move, such was the thrall in which we were held.”

“Kallisthena! And the beast didn’t attack you all?”

“Not at all, Mistress, it took off again almost immediately, its victim still a’struggling in its jaws and claws. That’s how we knew it must have still been breathing even after crashing to the ground. I daresay we were spared because the ptuvil probably had no thought other than to get away and enjoy its feast.

“However, our attention was suddenly directed elsewhere. The frayen had awoken from their immobility a heartbeat or two before us. They panicked and scattered. This indeed may have been the event that broke our own immobility.

“’Twas pure misfortune that one of them knocked poor Blutel flying. He descended to the valley floor without the benefit of feet nor of footpath.

“It took us a full half day to get down there and reclaim the poor man’s body. And once we had wrapped it, a most unpleasant task that, we set out immediately, as fast as we could, to return to Blackstone along the proper roads. As mentioned before, the Einnlanders split off from us at Brayview and we rushed up here.”

“Maker! I understand much now. You poor men, having now to live with that burden. Do not worry about us. We are accustomed to travelling even faster than this.” So saying, I urged the ever willing Trumpa to increase her pace. Davvy grinned at me and we put on a spurt, pulling away from the surprised men.

But then we both remembered, at the identical moment, the alarming load they were carrying behind us. We realised that we should allow the men to set the pace.

… … …

“And once again we are indebted to Mistress Julina and one or more of her colleagues, in this instance Mistress Megrozen. The Bunkhouse down at the Loop Road junction had fallen into a poor state about which we knew nothing. But the two of them, with their company Meglina Accommodations, have taken it over. With the help of the Rangers, in the week that has passed since Mistress Julina got involved, the place has changed beyond all recognition. For the better, I must report. This evening, new operators shall be in charge there, Goodman Kallum and Mistress Ruet, who shall run the place as part of the Meglina operation. It would ...”

I allowed my thoughts to drift as the Steward gave his introductory report to the Assembly. He was basically setting forth the agenda for the meeting. I had been invited so as to inform them all of what we had done at the Bunkhouse and what we were also doing down in Bezlet, but I would only be asked to speak much later.

I looked around the room. It was light and large, perhaps not quite as big as the Salon had been, consequently space seemed a little tighter. Particularly with the four of us invited guests present at this meeting, Master Schild, Davvy and myself, and Captain Subrish. The views would have been magnificent had it not been for the clouds outside the windows, clouds which were being pushed by quite a strong breeze, so that every now and then a vista opened up in the gaps between them. Clouds which were also dropping a welcome light rain on the Town; welcome since the past week had been very dry. Clouds which were exactly at the level of the windows to this room.

Simman and his crew had done a good job in here, I deemed. The temporary internal walls had been removed and there was no trace now that they had ever been here. I was doubly pleased with the removal of the internal walls, since Simman told me they would be employed to provide the internal walls that would form my own office in the Market Place Mansion. They were busy doing that there even as my idle thoughts were taking place here.

The Community Hall was now set up in the fashion in which it had been originally designed, before we had extra Princes and the like to accommodate. The removal of Assembly and school stuff from the Salon had gone smoothly, and far quicker than had been envisaged by any of us. As a result of which, Em, Kelly and I had a scheduled meeting this afternoon to which I had also asked Gyth – mayhap the dining room there could be redesigned, a few more tables fitted in, perchance a larger serving sideboard; the possibilities were almost endless. But did we really want to fit in extra diners? Would that destroy some of the ‘specialness’ of what we had achieved?

I briefly tuned back into what was being said by the Steward in his now long introduction to this Assembly Meeting - “… a live ptuvil no less, ...” there were gasps around the table “... but we deem that this was happenstance and that the area is reasonably safe for colonisation ...” - and then dragged my thoughts back to the changes in Town that had taken place whilst Davvy and I were away, and since our return. I started of course with the buildings that mattered to me.

The Stoop was declared to be watertight, and the upper floor would be added after the rains. The family that were to run it had agreed to provide a small catering operation in the building from now until the rains started in earnest and I had agreed to leave the overnighting part of the inn until after the rains had ceased. I had been over there myself and tested the kitchens and bath houses so I could say with certainty that the operation could go ahead. The construction of the beds and so on would be a valuable order for those responsible to produce while the weather was inclement.

Kelly and I agreed that Paivi and one other would be allocated to the kitchens there, to help bring their offerings in line with what I would expect from a Meglina ‘house’. Paivi could then stay a week or so there, and be handier to the ‘Tree’ for the regular lunchtime service there, meeting up with whoever was sent from the Salon to assist her. I further realised that there would be a lot of coming and going to be done to get it all up and running so I had allocated a bac and a wagon both, with drivers of course, to be on hand as much as possible, the drivers to also overnight there.

Meanwhile, and amidst far more fuss than I had foreseen (fuss that I had simply not wanted) there had been an opening ceremony the previous evening to welcome the Frolicsome Frayen into the list of commercial concerns now operating in Blackstone.

The Steward, Alderman Mesulkin, Representative Jepp and Bailiss Michet represented the Assembly, Master Graber represented both the Assembly and the Miners, Davvy and I represented the owners (Meglina) and Goodman Feff, his wife Salet, Mistress Sorset and Mistress Darna represented the Inn itself.

Feff and Salet I had now appointed as the general managers, Darna (that’s Venket’s mother, you may recall) was appointed the Chief Housekeeper and Sorset was in charge of the kitchens. The elder of Feff and Salet’s children, Rai, was there with his team of servers in the public rooms. Sookie nearly had a fit when I started to order yet more of her ales and wines, having already swallowed somewhat when I placed the orders for the Stoop. (Older Julina: which I deem was the beginning of the process that led to the now nationally celebrated Blackstone Brewery).

I mentioned above that I hadn’t wanted all the fuss and palaver, but I was merely the owner; I had to allow the managers who worked for me to do so in their own style – and then I had to foot the bill for it.

So the managers had decided to make it a semi-formal occasion, with just a couple of speeches to whoever had decided to take advantage of their announced ‘Open Door’ evening. The Alderman spoke for the Town, and Goodman Feff for the Inn. Both short speeches were well received, it appeared.

Printed handbills had been sent to all the principal artisans and tradesmen, and to the Miners’ Hall, so that they could spread the word amongst their workers and customers. Others had been hung on door posts and fence posts and a stack had been left for yet others to pick up on Market Day. Of course, there was still a preponderance of people around who were either unable or unconfident enough not to be able to read those handouts, so when we were almost crowded out by people who claimed to be interested in seeing round the building (as opposed to just sampling the free nibbles and beer and wine, you will understand) and finding out what this new establishment was like, it was highly ironic, I felt, that the owner and bill-payer was the one who had to jump in and lend a hand with the washing of oh so many small dishes, knives and drinking vessels; none of us involved having anticipated the size of the crush.

Thus it was that I missed the speechifications as well as, thankfully, the smallish fuss that arose when someone was refused entry, but was recognised by Suril who was on duty just outside. They protested, of course, and loudly at that, but Suril explained the facts of the matter to him. He eventually departed, muttering revengeful intentions. Gobitoo, who else?

The Market Place Mansion had been sealed to the weather, and internally the relevant floors and walls had been marked up as to where internal walls and doors and so on were to go. And, as mentioned, they were even then busily building my Office.

The Bunkhouse, with the extra muscle provided by the two daily Rangers, had been transformed into a place that was almost welcoming. This was in one way a regret, for it simply meant we were gaining there ever more customers. My suggestion of an open-sided, partially sheltered ‘camping’ site had become a big hit.

And then there were some improvements being made to the ‘Tree’. Over there …

“… now mayhap Mistress Julina can explain?”

Davvy leant across to me as though she wanted to remind me of something to say: “Bezlet report,” she whispered.

I added to the illusion, hoping that my face did not give me away, by loudly whispering back: “Thank you. Yes. I might have forgotten that.”

I faced the men and women seated around the large table with my back straight and looked each in the eye, as I greeted the meeting: “Your Honour, Masters, Ladies and Gentlemen. I would like to start by explaining some numbers to you. And then I will mention first the Bunkhouse just a few marks down the road from here. Yes, these numbers and that location all affect Bezlet in various ways.

“Allow me to explain.

“Now I have heard it mentioned that the Bunkhouse shall drive the Forest Roadhouse into ruin. This is a complete and utter nonsense - for many reasons, only some of which are now following.

“The wagons that use the Bunkhouse up here, and again I say I refer to the one some three marks south of Blackstone Town as opposed to any other bunkhouse there may be, are simply the ones that have been laden late in the day; not EVERY wagon stays at the Bunkhouse. I would say that the number is about one tenth of the total number of wagon departures in a day. We know from traffic studies that the busiest time for departures starts a bell or so before noon, and it builds up rapidly until about two bells after the noon one, before dropping off quite sharply. Departures in that … that … that SPREAD of time can all reach the Forest Roadhouse for their next stop before night falls.

“Later departing wagons either have to camp in the Forest, wait until morning or use the Bunkhouse facilities. It is all merely a question of timings. Those that DO use the Bunkhouse, then we must remember that by leaving early of a morning they can manage to pass the Forest Roadhouse, the faster amongst them just about getting as far as Brayview now we have the longer days. But by far the greater number of those find it comfortable to travel down to Bezlet before stopping for a night. From Bezlet then, they can JUST reach Tranidor on the following day. On the shorter days, you need to understand that Blackstone Town to Bezlet is just too far for many of them.

“So please keep those timings in your mind when I tell you I have commissioned my people in Bezlet to build a further bunkhouse there. The difference between the two is simply that Blackstone Town can offer a deal more what is called ‘civilisation’ - restaurants, inns, taverns, playactors, music and so on. Bezlet on the other hand is a rapidly growing, but yet still very small, location - with limited facilities. The nearest more bustling place to Bezlet is either back to the Forest Roadhouse or up to the Chaarn Road junction and then down to Brayview. and it is an awkward journey from Bezlet to gain the improved facilities at Brayview, a trip which many drivers wouldn’t do – go up to Brayview, go back to Bezlet to sleep and then go back past Brayview with their wagon again the next day.

“Hence I determined a need for another bunkhouse near the road at Bezlet.

“Now of course I am required to ask permission to do all this building and to have my building plots and so on - and I therefore officially now make that request. But before you all decide on that, there are other similar requests I wish to make ...”

And so it was that I detailed our plans for Bezlet, both road end and river end, and the reasons behind those plans. I had already done this to the Steward and Master Bezan on the day after I returned, so they were already aware and had given me permission to let Bezlet know they could go ahead; both men trusted me not to design impractical plots and buildings. However, I needed to present the scheme officially to the Assembly as a whole.

I must report at this juncture that I noticed that several others of the Assembly were a little surprised when I exposed the full changes that running a railroad through there would involve. I deem that they too had not thought about it all the way through – as yet. My little lecture had now forced them to do so.

For the Assembly Meeting suddenly turned into a quite heated debate, which the Steward allowed to go on until some moment when it was getting louder and louder and needed to be calmed down.

To cut a longer story shorter, Meglina was granted the permissions I had sought. And I earned another round of thanks when I made my suggestion about using the rains and a large tent-type affair to already build the rail and road crossings whilst wagon traffic was at its lowest volume. The estimates then were that we had these rains which were due soon, or the rains of the next couple of years, in which to do the work. Railroads were still reckoned to be around a hand of years away.

I stood up to leave but the Steward indicated that I should stay, which intrigued me enough to concentrate upon the rest of the meeting rather than go off somewhere in my head.

(Older Julina: I can promise you that that Assembly really worked hard at making the lives of the citizens the best it could be. In those days, the members were honourable men and women to whom a huge debt must be owed that the town of Blackstone developed so well. I shall refrain from commenting on the more modern habit of like Assemblies being political appointments.)

The reason I was, we were, asked to remain seated came along when Mistress Lendra was asked to report on developments in the world of healing.

“A brilliant idea from Julina there was taken up and passed into actuality after an equally brilliant idea from Davabet there. The difference that having a central location for all us healers has made, beggars belief. The whole town should be made aware of huge contribution those two have made. ...”

She went on to describe how much better it was for training, for sorting urgent cases from those not so urgent, from storing various articles of their trade and so on and so forth. I blush to mention how much her enthusiasm affected the others.

After she was finished, I felt it necessary once more to rise and once more the Steward indicated the contrary.

Curiouser and curiouser.

The Assembly members worked their way round the table giving their reports and then Master Schild was asked to make a report. I know Davvy was completely shocked by the size of the numbers that he used, as was I. I will go further and say I THINK some of the members were also (Mistress Lendra for one, I am sure).

One fact he mentioned was of particularly stunning simplicity. The entire requests for payments for the last four weeks, for materials, for labour, for carriage, for construction, for everything was double the total income gleaned from all the coal extraction since it started!

Many of the jaws around the table dropped at that.

Then he threw in another simple fact: “The total income from coal – JUST coal – for the last four weeks has shown a surplus over the costs of producing and transporting it. Not by very much, admittedly, but nevertheless ’twas a surplus.”

“And how much EXACTLY was that surplus?” asked the Steward.

“Let me see. I have it on a sheet of paper here. Somewhere. Must be in this pile. Ah, yes! Here it is. The coal production surplus for the last four weeks amounted to 7 Crowns, 7 Sollies, 13 Feniks and 1 Soo.”

We all had to laugh, for he had just now mentioned that the total costs for the last four weeks had been over three THOUSAND crowns.

I have already mentioned that Master Schild was a most staid citizen, rarely given to smiling let alone joking. So I was totally unsure if what he said as a follow up was actually meant to make us laugh more: “I must point out as a reminder that the coal income for the last four weeks is nearly one thousand Crowns more than that for the previous four weeks.”

Once everyone had spoken, relating their tales, then the Steward stood once more.

“Thank you all for your very frank and enlightening reports. We are all now once again informed of the latest states in nearly all branches of our Administration.

“I say nearly all because there are just a few more topics to discuss which I have to report to you. As it happens, both my first of these shall refer to Mistress Julina there.”

Any incipient inattention was banished from my mind immediately.

“As you all know, the Mansion on the Market Place belongs to her and shall only be fully completed after the rains, Master Simman’s crews having a long list of tasks to complete before we are beset by the weather. Now Mistress Julina earlier made the splendid suggestion of doing certain tasks under a protective cover during that period, and it struck me that the large space in her Mansion may be ideal for building up stocks of various things.

“With your permission, fellow Assembly members, I propose to have some official Town discussions with her about how to best use that space. Mayhap we should be using it to build more construction modules - internal walls, things like that. Or window frames. Or doors. Mayhap ’twould be best to be used as a store for water tanks and/or ranges. The possibilities are endless but a decision should be made NOW so that the usage eventually decided upon can be as fully stocked in advance as possible. If walls are to be made, then raw wood and the like shall needs be placed inside. And so on.”

He looked steadily at me as he said this and I actually found myself concurring with his conclusions. But I had the feeling there was something more he was saying, something that was meant for my ears only.

“When he was here, the Prince Keren and I had many a wide-ranging discussion about the ...”

I bit back a gasp and lowered my head so that none could then see the dawned understanding on my face. The military underground tunnels connecting to the Rangers’ barracks! Of course. A perfect time to get them completed.

“… developments up here and those in other parts of Palarand. Mistress Julina had a while ago now the equally splendid idea of improving cooking standards and proposed starting something she called the ‘Consociation of Caterers’, this was to be housed in her Market Place Mansion. But I must inform you all that His Highness has invited her to open that establishment downvalley, to be nearer the centre of our land.”

There were a few gasps at that. I was surprised at THAT – I thought everyone knew about the decision that was still weighing heavily on my mind.

“You will readily understand that Mistress Julina sees the fors and the againsts of doing that. I deem the reaching of her decision is causing her a deal of anxiety. However, should she eventually decide to do so, then her Mansion here shall be unused for the purposes originally envisaged. So I need to have discussions about THAT as well with her.”

“So do you, the Assembly of Blackstone County, give me permission to approach her on these matters, and any others that might occur to me in the meantime?”

I found myself almost voting ‘Aye’ as well, but held myself back just in time, since I had suddenly remembered that I had not the right to vote here.

“Thank you, fellow members. On now to another topic which arose in discussions with His Highness, Prince Keren. Decisions that for him also weigh heavily. Our Princess has gone away, as you all by now know. There is a strong possibility that she will not return ...”

At that, consternation broke out and it took a little while for calm to be restored. I realised that I too had blithely assumed that she had simply done the equivalent of going for a stroll in the woods and was virtually guaranteed to return.

When he could, His Honour continued: “I mention this because there is a direct tie-in with another subject upon which you have all, I sincerely hope, done your homework. The subject raised by Representative Jepp at our last formal meeting. Prince Keren has privately assured me that the Princess’ funds shall still be able to cover our costs up here but, if she has indeed gone, then alternative methods of raising the required coin shall most probably prove to be necessary. You were asked to have your thoughts upon levying some taxes in Blackstone County, so I will now proceed round the table, starting here at my left with Master Sinidar.”

I was fascinated by the thought-processes that were revealed as the discussions went around. Should only house-owners be taxed? Should everyone have to contribute to the overall safety by paying for the Rangers and Master Fedren’s officers of the peace? Should there be different rates for Brayview residents / Tamitil / Bezlet? And so it went.

The Steward then drew it to a close with his summing up: “Very well then. We should give consideration to levying a light amount as from the cessation of the rains, thus making it easier to impose heavier amounts in the New Year, rather than ‘hit’ our residents all at once. These heavier amounts would only be necessary should the Princess fail to return. As the Prince sorrowfully said: ‘My father has determined that should the Princess not return by the end of the year, then he – and I – must consider other ways of securing the succession to the Throne.’

“We shall then likewise consider what we should do when, if, the Princess fails to show up again. So we are all agreed in principle that we shall have to impose some form of taxation, the questions we need to answer now are how much and when. And which parts of our costs are to be covered by such impositions – Rangers? Fedren’s Department? Railroad development? Anything else? Please prepare your answers, better said, your opinions, for our next monthly meeting.”

… … …

“So that’s decided then? An extra table over there, and extend that sideboard slightly to accommodate more bottles of wine, particularly now that we shall be receiving that special wine from His Highness. Otherwise we calmly just spread out a little and carry on as usual?”

“Aye, that shall we do!” said Em in a semi-official tone. “Thank you Gythy for pointing out all the options we would have so eloquently.”

… … …

“Thank you Master Schild for making that all clear. May I ask you please to retain all those copies of my transactions until such time as my office is finally equipped properly. I shall then gladly relieve you of what seems to be a large stack.”

“Indeed it is Mistress Julina, and growing by the day it seems to ME.”

I laughed and almost, but not quite, got a smile in response.

“Now Master Schild, I have had another thought. This is what I want to do and would value your opinion. But first, some background to it all. I was talking to Bargemaster Steef, who you might recall is my Uncle, and he made me think on many things. One of the ideas that occurred to me then, I have never told anyone else, not even young Davvy here. I deemed I needed your opinion first. So here is my plan ...”

… … ...

“Mistress Davabet, Mistress Paivi, Mistress Kellonika, may I present Mistress Kalket. Mistress Kalket, these are the ones with whom you shall be most closely involved, I deem. From my left we have Mistress Kellonika, who is in charge of the Salon ...” Kalket’s eyes widened at that but she did nothing else to interrupt me. “… Mistress Davabet who is my personal assistant and to whom you may tell anything should I not be available, and this is Mistress Paivi, who is a valued member of the Salon team and who also runs the lunch times just up the road from you at the ‘Tree’. She has been training in the Salon kitchens for quite a while now and this is her first assignment ‘outside’ so to speak.”

I looked sharply at Kalket, my hard stare making it clear that I would not tolerate her ignoring Paivi’s instructions just because she seemed to be so much younger.

“She shall stay there in the Stoop with you for a week to help you understand the sort of dishes I expect you to have available. I deem you will be surprised at some of the tips and tricks she can impart. Feel free to do likewise, we can all learn more, myself included. I shall look forward to Paivi teaching me them later.

“When the Stoop opens properly in three months or so, when the rains cease, then I expect you to have learnt as much as you can by then. I would also appreciate any other dishes or improvements to those mentioned ones that you might have. Yes, there is a lot to learn at first, but rest assured you shall always have a voice and it shall be heard. As I told you at our recent interview down in the Claw, Meglina expects to provide a level of food and service at least one stride ahead of anyone else. To that end, there is indeed much for you to learn. Some of which lessons Paivi shall provide. Don’t let me down.”

She took my warning as it was meant, fully understanding exactly my point.

“Now, Mistress, please be so good as to introduce yourself to my three companions.”

“Thank you, Mistress Julina! I confess I am a trifle surprised at the efficiency and authority you have just demonstrated. I was still, just a tad, leaning upon the expectation that you yourself were just a junior partner with Mistress Megrozen in this enterprise, but you have made it abundantly clear now that that is not the case. I therefore expect the same degree of professionalism from all those involved, however young they might appear to be.”

Kelly smiled at that: “First test passed, Mistress!”

Kalket stopped to take full cognisance of that remark, then her eyes flicked to each of us. We could all see her yet again readjust her thinking.

“Very well then, Mistresses, so shall it be.”

“Tell us about your family, Mistress,” interjected Paivi gently.

“I am married with a caring man named Durgel who has striven to provide for us for many years now, at some cost to his health. He frankly cannot wait to escape the dust and fumes of the mines and was quite fretting when we heard nothing from Mistress Julina for those many weeks. Our eldest son, Dekel, has just joined the Rangers ...”

She broke off when I groaned aloud. I had to laugh then and explained: “I think every family I have appointed recently have had a son who has joined the Rangers. Is there something I have missed, some secret connection between Meglina and the military? Maybe that should be a future interview question: ‘Will your son soon join the Rangers? If not, the job’s not yours!’. THAT would make some eyebrows raise, I deem!”

Everyone had a laugh at that and then Kalket continued: “My daughter, Lexi, the middle child, is also looking forward to learning much. She is a bit of a shy young thing and feels that she would enjoy some distance from the Town, now that she is at last … expanding, shall we say. I fear there has been just too much teasing from some of the youths of our Town. My youngest, my second son, Koppert, is talented it appears in animal husbandry and has been apprenticed to Goodman Parrier over at the Claw for some months. He is looking forward to the animal handling over at the Stoop.”

I must have looked shocked for she cocked an eyebrow at me enquiringly.

“Maker! I must have met him several times then, but have never had an introduction. Parry, Goodman Parrier, is indeed a friend of mine and I keep my riding and pack frayen at the Claw!”

“Do you tell me, Mistress?”

… … …

And so it was that the three families took over the three establishments Meglina possessed hereabouts. We would see what would happen when each of those businesses swung into a normal, full, busy load.

For the next few weeks, I spent my time in the mornings usually riding to one or more of the places we had just staffed, meeting various people in my Office, which I came to love even if the entire building was very echoey. And I spent most of my time in the afternoons in the Salon. I had my occasional lessons, both in the Community Hall, and the foody ones in the Salon with the new intake of young girls.

Twice I went down to Bezlet, and even went to Tranidor once. These were simple business trips and nothing of great import occurred whilst on them.

Except for the one where I told Epp about my scheme – the one I had suggested to Master Schild. Epp however felt we were in danger of over-extending ourselves and declined to let Meglina get involved.

So now I had two questions constantly hammering at me.

Both were the same question.

My ‘secret’ scheme: Do I? Don’t I?

The Consociation: Do I? Don’t I?


up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Excellent!

As usual, Julia, your story lives up to the standard set by Penny. Keep it up!
Oh since we haven't seen Julina's scheme, I wonder what else she has up her sleeve, especially that Epp doesn't want to get involved in, even if it is just because it would spread them too thin. Not that Julina isn't spread pretty thin as it were already!

Plan

It involves barges and likely barges past haligo, a house in Bezlet, and needing something to do with Market Point Mansion...

Very Good

Plenty of interesting things going on (compliment: you have a great imagination). I'm waiting for Julina's decision which you've been doing a creative job of avoiding. Thanks for the new posting.

Almost forgot: nice update regarding Garia's disappearance bringing your story into line with what Penny has recently posted in her new story.