A Second Chance -- Chapter 34

Printer-friendly version
SecondChance.jpg

A Second Chance

By Dawn Natelle

Another chapter, setting up for the busy Saturday that is coming: Dawn

FRIDAY, May 27, 2016

Somehow the old house just felt odd, knowing that Maria was not there when the kids woke in the morning. There were several text messages from Maria, who said she went into the bakery at four a.m. and was already helping Geoff stock up the shelves for the anticipated rush of customers. Rachael texted back that they were both up and getting ready for school.

On the bus, Rachael updated Mikki and the other girls about her busy ‘day off.’ The news that Geoff proposed to Maria drew the expected squeals from the other girls. It was Larissa who asked if that meant that Rachael would be changing her last name from Cartright to Barron.

“I really hadn’t thought about it,” she said. “I guess I will. I don’t feel anything special for the other man, after he ran out on us. And I bet Geoff would be honored to know that we want to take his name. I will have to talk it over with Bobby. Both of us should do the same thing. I know Momma will want to become a Barron. She is crazy in love with the guy.”

The morning was for project work, and Rachael tried to work extra hard to make up for missing yesterday afternoon’s session. Part of the morning was working on the video files. There was a surprising amount of things that needed to be done, and Mikki was a firm taskmaster on quality. A few times when she decided that what the others were doing was not up to par, she redid bits, and the girls learned from their mistakes. It didn’t stop them from making new ones, but all three of them were slowly becoming experts with the software.

The second part of the class had the four of them planning the shoot on Saturday. Mikki was in charge of this, and she called for a 5 a.m. start to take advantage of the morning light. Carly and Larissa groaned at this, but Rachael was secretly pleased. That meant that most of the shooting might be done by 10 a.m., when she had her appointment with the pastor. He was planning to apologize to Paul and John for what he had said in church two weeks earlier. She reminded the others that she would have to leave then, and apologized for not pulling her weight.

“Don’t be silly,” Mikki said. “You wrote the entire script yourself. And you arranged for all the volunteers for my actors. This part is my baby, and Carla and Larissa have done most of the on camera work. Nobody has been shirking.”

“It wasn’t hard getting the actors,” Rachael said. “I just mentioned it to one of the guys at the Legion, and they put out the word. I guess there were dozens who wanted to participate, and it largely went down to those who would fit into the old uniforms that were donated. The actors are mostly descendants of veteran’s.”

“You know what would be cool,” Carly said. “What if at the end, instead of just a long list of names for the actor credits, we could have each boy at the cenotaph? First we show him, and then we show him putting his finger on the name of his grandfather or other relative.”

“That would be great,” Mikki said. “The local people would love it. We might have to patch in a more conventional cast list if we want to enter any competitions. But I bet the local people will watch all the credits if we do them that way. And it gives the actors more glory for their part.”

“We could do all the credits that way,” Rachael suggested. “Instead of just saying ‘Supported by Legion Branch 119, we could show a picture of the Legion building, with all the members outside who helped us. And the guy who is lending us the use of the gravel pit tomorrow. Even Mr. Churchill as our advisor.”

“I can get a picture of my Uncle in France, for the shots he took, along with anyone else there who helped,” Larissa said.

At lunch, Rachael finally caught up to Robert. She had texted him yesterday explaining that she was going to be away: they were kinda boyfriend/girlfriend and she felt the need to keep in touch. But now she could explain what she had been doing. She also wanted to find out about next Friday. Robert wasn’t aware of anything happening, but was glad that Rachael was coming to dinner. He hadn’t met Geoff yet, and since he was going to be Rachael’s father, that caused all kinds of anxiety in the boy.

Halfway through lunch Rachael went to the staff room, and asked for her French and Science teachers. Science was going to be a review of the past month’s work in preparation for exams next month, and her teacher told her what part of the text was covered, and agreed to let her have the afternoon off.

Her French teacher also agreed to let her off for the afternoon. It didn’t hurt that Rachael made the request in her flawless French, which was slightly better than the teacher’s. Then she headed over to the public school, and found Bobby playing ball with the boys. He was waiting for a turn to bat when she came by, and agreed to walk to the bakery himself, or with Mikki and Larissa, when they came to get Marc.

Then Rachael headed to the bakery. She still felt bad that she wouldn’t be helping on Saturday. As she approached, she could see that there was a lineup to get into the bakery, so she stopped in at the library, to see how the film night had gone without her. The girls on the bus had said it was a good night, but she wanted to touch base with the librarians.

Both Heather and Agnes were in the library, which was busier than other times in the past. Heather, who had worked the night before, said that the film night was fine, although the washrooms had not been cleaned. Rachael groaned. The first few nights she had cleaned them. The boys, especially, often had poor aim.

“Don’t worry about it,” Rachael, Heather said in response to her apologies. “We didn’t have anyone using the rooms today, and the cleaner will get it tonight. But it could have been embarrassing if we had had a meeting scheduled up there.”

Heather then had to turn aside to check out patrons, but her boss Agnes stepped in. “We have been so busy yesterday and today. The entire strip has been. Something is going on down at the bakery, and everyplace is busier. We have gotten some nice spill off from it.”

Tony had told Rachael during lunch that the deli had enjoyed its best day since opening on Thursday, and Saturday’s are normally the best days.

“Yes, I guess everyone is benefitting from that story in the paper last week,” Rachael said.

“I did need to talk to you about how long the movie series would go on,” Agnes asked. “I’m making up the annual budget for the library, and need to be able to forecast usage.”

“Well, we would like to do two more in June, I think. The June 23 is pretty close to the last day of school on the 24th, so I think we will pass on that. But I do want to start up again in September, when we are in high school. Do you have a calendar?”

Looking at the calendar, Rachael suggested that September 15 might be a good date to get the series started again.

“What about the Grade 8 classes?” Agnes asked. “Would they like to do a film night too?”

“Yes. Some have already been asking about a Grade Seven night. They will definitely be interested in it by September. Why? Do you want us to take turns?”

“No, no. You get the first call. It was your idea. But I could put another three evening hours into the budget proposal and have another opening for the films. We could let the next year Grade Eights have the other night,” Agnes said. “We have had a lot of good comments from parents, who like the idea of their kids getting into dating in a safe, low-cost environment.”

“Well, if you were to add a Friday night, then the Grade Nines would prefer it. It is more of a dating thing if it is a weekend. Then maybe you could add another night the next year, when we are in Grade 10. That would be cool for a Saturday night,” Rachael said. “I don’t think we would need it for older grades though. By Grade 11 the kids have cars and licenses and many have jobs and can afford the real theatre.”

“That is really useful information,” Agnes said. “I’m pretty sure we can get Friday nights for you in September. I will also make a pitch for Saturday nights, but that will mean not opening on Monday mornings, or something.”

“One more thing,” Rachael asked. “Can I go out through your back door? I need to go to the bakery, but I don’t want to butt in front of the people standing there waiting to get in.”

“Certainly, dear, let me show you through,” Agnes said, leading to the back door.

“Rachael,” Geoff said when she popped in the back door of the bakery. “What are you doing here?”

“School was boring,” she said. “I figured you guys would just be sitting around playing cards or something, so I thought I would join in.”

“I said you weren’t to miss school,” Geoff said, putting on a great ‘Dad’ face.

“I checked with my afternoon teachers, and they both said it was okay. I just have to study up a bit on Sunday for Science. And I know you need the help.”

“How long for more Love bread?” Maria said, popping out of the store. “Rachael, what are you doing here?”

“Helping?” she suggested.

“Then get up front and help Carol,” Maria said. “Mrs. Barron needs to take a break … or better yet, go home. She’s been a big help, but it is a bit much on her.”

The elderly woman (Rachael suddenly realized that she would soon be her grandmother) looked relieved when Rachael took the next customer and told her to head home. Rachael then started working with Carol, and slowly they were able to get customers moving through the store. The store never emptied, but eventually there were no longer people lined up outside.

Rachael had come in at 1, and after 3 Bobby came in, hoping for a cookie but finding the cookie shelf completely empty. Rachael handed him a dollar and told him to head to Dasilva’s for an apple. Ten minutes later he was back, happily munching an apple, and handed Rachael the dollar before heading to the back.

“Mrs. Dasilva said it was free, on account of all the customers they have been getting from people waiting for the bakery,” he said as he walked through to go to his flour sack fort.

That gave Rachael an idea, although it was another hour before she could work on it. When the store slowed down enough, she went to the computer in the lunch nook, and started typing as Carol started the cleaning duties.

Soon the printer had spit out several pages. The first read:

To make your Love bread into a real meal, stop by at Dasilva’s just down the block. They feature specialty cheeses, cold cuts, and fruits and vegetables: everything you need to make your own special Ingersoll Sandwiches

The second said:

This is Queenie. She lives on the Jackson farm on RR 2. She and her daughters are among the top Holstein herds in Canada. And their milk is used to make the butter that is in so many of our fine baked goods. Thank Queenie when you savor your baking.

The page had a picture of Queenie’s head that Rachael had taken on her second visit to the farm.

A third page read:

All eggs used in our baking (and it is dozens and dozens every day) come from the Peter’s poultry farm on RR 2. Their chickens live in humane conditions rather than the battery cages where chickens producing grocery store eggs are raised. This also had a picture of several hens from Keri Peter’s barn.

Rachael took them back to Geoff and Maria, who where holding hands while waiting for a batch of cookies to come out. “Look Geoff,” she said. “Can I put these up around the store? It will give people something to read while they are waiting to get to the counter?” She spread the three pages out in front of them.

“These are great Rachael,” Geoff said. “We need to do one for our flour too. It comes from Arva Flour Mills just outside of London. I bet if we call them, they can give us the name of some farmers in the area who supply them with wheat. There are people who like the thought of eating local, and these fit right into that.”

“Bobby is getting a little antsy,” Maria said. “If you are caught up in the store, then you can take him home, or at least to Grandpa’s.

At Grandpa’s, or the new house as Rachael had to start thinking of it, Bobby immediately went over to visit the dogs next door. Rachael peeked in, and saw Grandpa was taking a nap, so she went over to see the music teacher. She needed to get her grocery list, as Rachael hoped to make her weekly grocery trip today, instead of on the busy weekend.

“I’m sorry dear, I don’t think I can get anything today. A few students have stopped coming in, and things have been tight. Perhaps you could get a small bag of dog food for me. I can’t let Goldie and Rudolph suffer. I think I can find $10.”

“Nonsense,” Rachael said. “Bobby plays with those dogs as much as you do. We will buy the dog food this week. And what’s more, I think your lessons with Bobby have really been doing him well. We will start to pay. Lessons are $40 an hour, right?”

“Yes, but Bobby has only been doing a half hour,” Miss Lajoie said. “That would only be $20.”

“Yes, but we are going to be living right next door here, so he could come over for lessons twice a week,” Rachael handed over $40 from her bakery bonus.

“Bless you Rachael,” the lady said as she started to scribble down a grocery list. “When are you moving in?”

“Sunday, hopefully. Just the three of us at first, but eventually Geoff will join us. At least that is what I assume. We can’t all live in his rooms above the bakery.”

Miss Lajoie dropped her pencil. “A man. Living next door? Oh my.” She looked visibly shaken by the news. “I … I don’t get along well with men. Even that boy you got me to cut my grass. He is nearly a man. If he were any bigger I don’t think I could teach him. Boys and old men like M. Verdun are fine. It is just adult men that bother me.”

“Leon,” Rachael said. “Did he do something?”

“No dear, it is not him. It is me. Things happened when I was younger, and now I am not comfortable around men. That is why it is such a blessing that you go to the grocery for me. I had to fight very hard not to have one of my anxiety attacks while I was shopping. That is also why I have two big dogs. I love them dearly now, but originally I got them for protection. A man next door?”

“Well, Geoff is a sweet, peaceful man,” Rachael said. “He would never hurt a fly. Perhaps I could bring him over one day, perhaps with Momma. You could see how nice he is.”

“Yes. If both of you came, and he doesn’t get too close. I suppose I should try to have contact with good men. I am sure that there are some good men.” She picked up the pencil and started finishing the list, and then handed Rachael back the $40 she had just got.

Rachael headed to the grocery, and then took a taxi back. She didn’t bother taking anything to the old house. The family seemed to be doing well eating at the new house, and Maria was in effect living there already.

When she arrived back with the groceries, she unloaded first at the new house, where Grandpa was now awake, and after giving him a kiss on the forehead, she took the groceries over to Miss Lajoie’s. She could hear Bobby plinking away on the piano as she put the groceries in the kitchen, leaving most of them on the counter, but putting the frozen and refrigerated good in the fridge and its freezer.

The biggest part of the groceries was two 50-pound bags of premium dog food. That would last the dogs for a few weeks. She had put that on her bill, not Mrs. Lajoie’s.

Later Bobby came in as she was making dinner, excited. “Miss Lajoie saw the dog food you bought, and started crying. I think it was a happy crying though. She said that the dogs were half mine now, and showed me how to feed them. That is going to be my job now, once we get moved in. When do we move, Rachael?”

“On Sunday, right after lunch, so no riding off on your bike. There are a lot of boxes to move, and your bed.”

Soon she heard Geoff and Maria coming up the lane, having just finished at the bakery. She had a dinner ready and after a prayer they ate a meal featuring breaded chicken fingers that Rachael had made from the remains of the chicken last night. Bobby especially enjoyed the finger food, dipping his chicken into the sauce that Rachael had made.

Dessert was cookies, and it was the first time that Geoff had tasted Rachael’s cookies. “You trying to put me out of business?” he asked jokingly. “These are great. What’s in them?”

Rachael gave him the recipe, and he grunted when she finished. “It’s the butter,” he pronounced. I use shortening in the bakery cookies. Butter is so much more expensive. But I wonder if we could make a line of Gourmet cookies using butter instead of margarine.”

“Right. Put that on the list of things to do when we get some spare time,” Maria snapped, with a smile to show she didn’t mean it. “Did you put an ad in the paper looking for a baker?”

“Yes. It will get in the Saturday paper,” Geoff said. “I hope we get someone good. Although I don’t know when I’ll have time to talk to anyone.”

Soon after, he left for the bakery, and Rachael made her mother go right to bed. Maria had started at 4 a.m. and probably would do the same on Saturday morning. Bobby and Rachael walked to the old house in the dark again, to Bobby’s delight.

As they got close to the old house, Rachael saw a car pull into its drive. She froze immediately, and put an arm out to stop her unobservant brother. A second later the car door opened and Rachael could see a short, female form get out, easing her fears.

“It’s just me,” Pastor Helen called from her car. “I’m glad I caught you.”

The relieved girl started walking again. “What can we do for you?” Rachael asked as they got close. She took out her key to open the door. “Are you wanting another look at your new house? We plan to be moved out after church on Sunday. You can move in after that.”

“No it is not that, and don’t rush getting out early on Sunday. I only have a few boxes and bags at the motel to move in. Gary will probably be able to get it all in one load of his new truck.”

“Gary has a truck?” Rachael said. “How did he work that?”

“It was in the shed. A 1963 Dodge, I think. He spent a few days getting it running along with all the other things he has been doing. It doesn’t look pretty, but it runs well, he says. And the way he got my old clunker working, I trust him.”

Rachael sent Bobby to read his library books, and then made tea for the pastor.

“We had a meeting last night,” she said. “I tried to get ahold of you and your Mom, but one of the ladies told us about how busy the bakery has been. To make a long story short, we have reestablished the women’s group at the church. Apparently it died out in the 90s due to a feud between a couple of members. Both of them have passed on and I really want to utilize the power of church ladies.”

“You see, Gary told me that there is no soup kitchen in town on Wednesday nights, and suggested that we have one. Of course, that will cost money, and the deacon has made it clear that the church has none. I mentioned it to one of the ladies last week, and she took it and ran with it. Heather Spooner set up the whole meeting last night and the ladies decided to have a bake sale on Saturday. Not tomorrow, but next week.”

“Anyway,” Pastor Helen said, “I’d like you and your Mother to join the group. And to make baking for Saturday. And if possible, to teach me how to bake.”

“Well, I am the baker in the family right now,” Rachael said, “although I think Mom will be interested in trying a few things out, now that she is engaged to Geoff. I certainly could show you what I know. It will be interesting though, if we do it here, since the old stove will not be mine anymore.”

“Oh, we can do it at the church kitchen,” Helen said. “Gary has all four ranges working perfectly, and three of the fridges. He put an upright freezer that he found in the shed into the place of the fourth fridge. The man is a genius in fixing things. He says he wants to have an auction sale of things from the shed on the day of the bake sale.”

“He certainly did a wonderful job on a bike for Bobby,” Rachael said.

“Yes, and I think he has fixed up a couple more.

“Gary has been sorting things in the she out and making room as he fixes things up. He’s taken a few loads to the recycle center to sell as scrap, now that he had a truck, but he is hesitant about taking out anything that might have a part for something he is fixing.”

“Well, Mom and I will be glad to help with the bake sale. Or at least I will. She has been super busy this week. If she has some time she will help. Why don’t we plan for Wednesday, at the church kitchen, if that is the day the suppers will occur? You might need two or three bake sales to get enough money to get them going though.”

Helen drove the kids over to the Stoner house for a sleepover. Rachael was going to start out with Mikki in the early morning to do the filming, and Mrs. Stoner had asked that she bring Bobby too. Danni was ecstatic to have her protector/hero spending the night, but didn’t understand why Bobby was going to spend the night in the guest room, instead of in her room. Mikki and Rachael were sharing her bed, and she thought she and Bobby could too.

That night Mikki watched as Rachael kneeled down and prayed.

Dear Lord

Thank you for such a wonderful life, with friends like Mikki and everyone else at school. Please look after Miss Lajoie, and help her with whatever her problem with men is. And please make the weather nice tomorrow, so we can finish the video.

Amen

“Do you do that every night?” Mikki asked as Rachael crawled into the bed.

“I try to. Sometimes he answers, but mostly he just does wonderful things that make me happy.”

Mikki was silent for a moment, then slid off the bed and kneeled.

Dear Lord

Thank you for bringing Rachael into my life. When I first met her, we were the nerds without friends, and she said that one day we would be popular. Now we are. Not the snotty kind of popular, but we have great friends, and I even have a boyfriend, even if he has been super busy working at his parents’ store. And I double Rachael’s prayer for nice sunny weather tomorrow.

Amen

“That felt good,” Mikki said. “I need to start doing it more often. Maybe even every night.”

up
354 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice

Wendy Jean's picture

I am still enjoying the story. So how old is Gary? Is Miss Lajoie too old for him?

I hope

Samantha Heart's picture

That everything goes on without a hitch for the finishing of the movie tomorrow. It WILL be a busy day for everyone. As for the women's group I think its a good idea. I hope the Rachel's mom Can help[ out with it and teach the pastior how to bake. I think Rachel is on tho something and something good. She is getting Miki into praying now too,

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

“That felt good,”

almost as good as I feel reading this story!

DogSig.png

Groups

My5InchFMHeels's picture

So they are working on a women's group, and now Rachel may have stared a prayer group as well. Even accidentally, it may take off as each of the friends learn how things have gone for Rach and Mikki.

Definitely a feel good story, not enough of them in my opinion. Hope this goes on a long time, even though I'm sure it won't be long enough.

Rachael's still doing good deeds

and helping everyone around her. Dawn's still blessing us with her stories. Thank you!

Merry Christmas,

Wendy K

Better and better with each chapter

Jamie Lee's picture

What can I say but wow, this story just keeps getting better with each chapter.

Miss Lajoie asked for a small bag of dog food for the dogs and Rachael gave her 100 pounds. This is another time she has done more for Miss Lajoie than she asked for. The need was there and Rachael was able to meet it and then some.

The other businesses along that street ought to put Rachael on their payrolls for her ideas in helping to bring business to the area. They could say she's their advertising specialist.

Rachael needs to be careful volunteering others until she makes sure they can, or will, help. Maria is very busy helping at the bakery so she might not have the time on Saturday to bake for the bake sale.

There is something she also needs to do, and that is to take time for herself. Time to do something for her and to rest. She's doing so much that she hardly has any down time to just be or do something for herself. If she doesn't make time for herself there may come a time where she gets a bit loopy, and is forced by doctors to do nothing.

Others have feelings too.