The Chrysalis Project Book 1: Ghost Moth- book 1

Printer-friendly version

 

GM cover.PNG
The Chrysalis Project: Ghost Moth
  Training is over. Now her
  mission is to move within the shadows
  of agencies. The Ghost Moth flies on her own
 

WARNING: The Chrysalis Project may be hyper-violent for some readers!

 

 


 

Ghost Moth

 
 
 
CHAPTER 1
Dannigan sat reading the email report from the detention center. Since being captured in Alaska all the terrorists had done nothing but prayer constantly. any attempts to interrogate them made them shut down.

He buzzed Madison,"Madison. Get me General Hollander please. Use the Duncan identity."

several minutes later his phone rang,"General?"

"What can I do for you Major Duncan," the General asked.

Dannigan answered, "Reading the reports about the new arrivals Sir. I have somebody I'd like to send in. This wouldn't be an interrogation; It'll be an information extraction Sir."

" I understand Major. Before I can allow this I'll need authorization," General Hollander replied.

"Texas Vermilion," Dannigan answered.

A moment later the General came back on the line, "authorization verified Major. Who do we expect?"

"Agent Caldwell, NSA, Sir," Dannigan replied.

"Very well. We'll have the subjects ready tomorrow," the General signed off.

Dannigan buzzed Madison again, "Madison?"

"Yes Major," Madison replied.

Dannigan sighed, "good. Bring up tasking for Shawna Davies. She's to proceed to Sanctuary. She'll be met at the airfield in Alamogordo, New Mexico. She'll need the Susan Caldwell NSA credentials."

"Yes Sir," Madison replied and pulled up the message screen for Kimberly.

She sent out the packet with the message, 'Ghost Moth now active."

She closed the message window whispering to herself, "good luck Shawna. Its the real deal so go get 'em."

 

~o~O~o~

 

General Hollander stared carefully at the dark haired woman sitting across from him. Late twenties or early thirties with high cheekbones. It was her hair that caught his eye. It wasn't just dark, it was like a raven's wing. Black with a flash of blue within. Her complexion was a bit off though, instead of the characteristic porcelain doll face; she had a tint of tan to it but it was hard to tell as she wore make-up. Make-up that looked applied by a professional. The hint of perfume was subtle, neither overly floral nor musky. All in all, Agent Susan Caldwell didn't over or underplay her feminine attributes. She was an attractive woman and that was that. A black skirt suit with jewel blue blouse and though she wore high heels they weren't the sky high type or platforms that most women wore these days. All that implied she was indeed a professional. The non-standard issue Desert Eagle ten millimeter dropped the hammer on the fact that she wasn't an administration type. Agent Caldwell was a field agent, commonly referred to as 'Men in Black'. The only thing missing was the cliche' sunglasses.

"Is there a problem with my documentation General, Sir," she asked in a voice that was neither husky nor sweet.

The General looked back at the file and its forms of authority to interrogate the prisoners utilizing conventional and unconventional techniques, including chemical and physical methods.

Hollander looked back up, "I'm a bit old fashioned Agent Caldwell. I still believe we're the good guys and look good wearing white hats."

Agent Caldwell didn't smile nor frown, "nothing wrong with that General. We are the good guys. As for the white hats; well some people wear hats better than others, Sir."

Hollander found her attitude quite different from most agents. CIA and DIA along with several others tended to puff out their chests, speak loudly and try to sport a menacing glare. She didn't. Agent Caldwell didn't seem to be put off by anything and didn't want to flaunt authority or bully. She was there and had a task to perform. She hadn't requested a translator or any other personnel in fact. She definitely had a very military bearing and was respectful as if second nature to be dealing with men of the military. Caldwell didn't have to threaten, intimidate or coerce. She was supposed to be there and all that needed to know that, did.

"General, if there's a problem I'm sure a quick call will sort it out Sir," She said matter-of-factly.

Hollander gave into the feeling and replied while passing back the file, "no need Agent Caldwell. Everything looks to be in order here."

She stood, almost as if at attention causing him to sit straighter and expect a salute.

"I'll do my best to make the most of my time here, Sir. I have only two, maybe three days before he and his 'associates' are to be transported to Moscow," She said in a business-like tone.

"Very well. Carry on, uh, Agent Caldwell," the General caught himself about to try applying a rank to a civilian.

"Sir," the Agent stood a bit straighter then turned and walked out.

Then General went back to his other paperwork, "female or not, why can't more agents be more professional like her? CIA has too many damned civilians. At least the NSA gets former military."

 

~o~O~o~

 

Shawna had changed and now walked down the hall following the sergeant in black BDU's.

He stopped at a door and opened it for her, "Ma'am. As you requested, no observation. No video or audio monitoring. A pair of guards outside the door but otherwise you'll be on your own Ma'am. And yes, you do have cellular service."

Shawna nodded, "thank you Sergeant. I'm ready. When will the first prisoner be brought in?"

"Right away Ma'am," the sergeant replied.

With a quick step to attention he then went to bring up the prisoner. Shawna walked into the room and looked around, a table and two chairs. Another chair sat alone bolted to the floor and two chains hung down from the ceiling. She slipped something from her purse. A very small electronic bug detector, she flicked it on and two red lights came on. The sergeant hadn't told the truth about the audio and video surveillance. It was there and on. That was ok, they'd soon regret having it on. Shawna had already changed from the skirt-suit and heels into the form fitted battle-suit and boots, similar to Lyssa's and strapped on her pistol and the Fairbarne-Applegate Tactical knife to the back of her thigh. She stood patiently waiting. Minutes later the door opened and two soldiers dragged in Palo and sat him in the solitary chair and cuffed him to it.

"Two more," Shawna said casually and nodded to the chains.

"Yes Ma'am," one of the soldiers snapped.

Several minutes later the two prisoners had been brought in one by one and cuffed to the chains.

Shawna stood in front of Palo, "There are things I would like to know. You'll be telling me."

"Allah be with me in this time as I endure the infidels' ways," Palo mumbled to himself in Chechen.

Shawna stepped closer and replied, "This is about to become the 'worse' you were told about. God is not with you, never was. You may as well pray to a garbage can for all the good it will do you. All of you."

All three began reciting from the Koran. Shawna walked over to the small zippered case on the table, loaded a syringe with the liquid and began injecting the two men secured to the chains. Within minutes both hung limp in the cuffs then began to shiver after sweating.

"Watch closely Palo," she said softly then approached them, "I'm your hostess. Welcome. To a place beyond Hell."

Both men saw her and began screaming. Palo looked and saw the sheer terror in their eyes. They begged and pleaded amid screams for her not to come closer but Shawna ignored them and began cutting away the orange one piece jumpsuits then she started skinning the one on the left at his elbows working her way toward his body. The floor, the other man and Shawna soon became flecked with blood from his tormented thrashing.

Shortly thereafter she began singing softly, "One of these mornings. won't be very long. you will look for me. and I'll be gone...."

Her voice became sweet and haunting. Palo closed his eyes and prayed more but he couldn't shut out the screams or the song. She had begun alternating between the two suspended men. blood covered the floor in small puddles. Palo looked up in time to see her turn, streaks of blood across her face.

The woman in black said, "don't worry. Your time is coming."

 

~o~O~o~

 

"Somebody get that cherry outta here," Agent Tom McDaniels commented rudely.

The CIA agent stood in the observation room. One of the soldiers running the monitoring equipment had vomited. There was no window into the room so they were watching a large plasma screen of the NSA agent systematically shred the terrorists to ribbons.

"Agent McDaniels, or whatever your name really is, if you disrespect any of my men again; I'll have you tied to a tree and used for paintball target practice. Naked," General Hollander said.

"I thought you said you didn't get into the whole torture business General," McDaniels commented.

"I don't; when people are involved," Hollander retorted casually.

"Oh I get it. Hahaha. Nice one General. Is that a jab at me personally or the Agency," The CIA officer asked.

Hollander turned and looked at him, "no difference at all. You're all a pack of hyenas. If there's no weak prey to victimize you're quite happy turning on each other."

"Hey I got no problem sitting back and watching chick there do her thing. Palo is about to crack any minute and I didn't have to do anything but wait and watch. I'll admit, her technique is startlingly effective and it was immediate too," McDaniels said smugly, "besides. The NSA is mostly tech-twerps; its nice to see they have people that actually do get their hands dirty."

From the speakers they heard Palo finally say, "I will tell you whatever you wish please kill them."

"OH HELL YEAH! PAY DAY!!!! Yahoooo cowgirl," McDaniels chuckled.

His happiness dropped to nothing as the screen and speakers suddenly filled with static. The soldiers began flipping switches and pressing buttons then finally sat back and shook their heads.

"What the fuck! Turn it back on," McDaniels bellowed.

"Sir you don't understand. Its not off," one of the soldiers said.

"Then what fuck is THIS," he demanded gesturing to the screen and speakers.

Hollander began to chuckle to himself.

"What's so funny there General," the agent asked sarcastically using the General's rank.

One by one the soldiers began laughing as well.

One remarked, "he didn't see it. That's funny."

Another commented, "blind as a bat CIA Asshole."

Finally one of the soldiers rolled back video and stopped it on a frame.

"Look close. What do you see," he asked.

McDaniels looked closer and saw something square and black on the table that she touched.

"What the hell is that," he demanded.

"Signal jammer you putz. She knew we were watching. dumbass," Hollander answered.

A moment later the video came back up. They watched as she drew her pistol and shot the two prisoners she'd been torturing.

"Better hope that what you told me is true Palo. I can always come back and ask you again. Like this," she said gesturing to the two mangled bodies.

"Allah as my witness, I have told you everything. The truth, I swear it," Palo said softly then asked, "will you kill me when you have done what you wish with the information?"

Shawna leaned in close, "you're a very bad man Palo. I think I'll keep you alive, a girl needs a hobby."

He sat in horror as she packed up the weapons and drug case then walked out.

"THAT BITCH!!!!!!! Find me that information he gave her! NOW DAMMIT," McDaniels demanded.

 



 

CHAPTER 2

Kimberly answered on the second ring, "Hangar. Go."

"Its me. I got everything, I think. Multiple strikes on Swiss controlled banks; Geneva, Monte Carlo and Vienna. What now," Shawna asked.

"Can you travel," Kimberly asked.

Shawna answered, "I'm clean enough to go on our planes."

"LoneStar is waiting at the terminal. Haul ass," Kimberly instructed.

Shawna disconnected and sent the video file to Kimberly. Within two hours she was arrived at the terminal and boarded the Lear.

"Strap in," The calm voice told her.

Shawna did and minutes later they took off.

"When we refuel in Atlanta we'll pick up Pete. Rodrick and Tiffany will go to Monte Carlo. Lyssa will be dropped off in Geneva. We get Vienna," LoneStar told her.

Shawna was startled at that, "Lyssa's going to Geneva alone?"

"Why not? She's worked alone for years. Until she hooked up with Rodrick for that Columbia job or after it," LoneStar said in his usual icy voice, "You're not cleared for working alone yet so you get chaperons. Just like Tiffany and Krystel do. Kimberly has Krystel in case you wondered and they stay put. No field work unless critical."

"Now that I think about it, it makes sense. I would have thought Lyssa would be with us and Pete with Rodrick and Tiff," she commented.

LoneStar shook his head, "No. Lyssa can operate alone and Rodrick is enough to go with Tiffany. Of the people in the field we three are the weakest links so we'll be together. That way there's coverage. Lyssa would only be slowed down by anybody but Rodrick. He can keep up with her for the most part and they have worked in tandem but she still prefers doing wet-work alone and now more than ever. She's supposed to be pregnant remember? She'll jump in and sneak out to a location where Rodrick and Tiffany can pick her up. No paparazzi, no events. Not even a footprint in the sand. Totally black."

"I get it now. I wonder if I'll ever work with her though," Shawna mused.

"pray you don't," LoneStar remarked, "Take the controls for a few minutes."

Shawna did and he slipped out of the pilot's seat, went to the back of the plane and returned a few minutes later.

"I got it," he said, "Go get cleaned up."

Shawna nodded and went back. A quick refuel in Dallas then another in Atlanta where they picked up Pete and then headed north to refuel in New York then over to London. Finally they arrived in Vienna Austria and took a rental to a house. LoneStar went in first then signaled for them to come in.

"Damn Lyssa has nice houses," LoneStar commented looking around.

"This is Lyssa's," Shawna asked amazed.

"Yeah. She's got houses all over the world. You didn't know," Pete asked.

LoneStar went into the hallway and opened a concealed panel to reveal a weapons locker filled with assault rifles, sub-machine guns, pistols, knives, explosives, ammunition and various other operational gear.

Shawna was impressed, "wow! When you said equipment would be available I thought a couple of pistols, an MP-7 at the most. Damn, we can launch major assaults with this locker."

Pete chuckled, "you thought Lyssa would leave us to fend for ourselves completely?"

"Yeah. Silly me," Shawna replied and began setting up her computer to begin planning with Pete and LoneStar.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Tom McDaniels ran out the front gate of the detention center dialing on his phone. As he settled into the rental car the call connected and was answered.

"4691."

Savagely he twisted the ignition, "Code in; Georgia Rains."

The voice answered back, "secure. one moment please."

A moment later another voice picked up, "Go Tom."

"Malcolm we got a problem. Some NSA bitch came in and wrung this asshole like you wouldn't believe then bailed without sharing. I finally got him talking again and its bad. These guys are gonna try to hit Swiss banks in Geneva, Vienna and Monte Carlo. All at the same time. I need fast transport to Vienna and a team on the ground waiting for me when I get there. Oh and find out everything you can about Susan Caldwell, NSA."

"Yeah, where do I start," the other end asked.

"Start with the S's; for sadistic bitch. She peeled two guys like they were oranges. Black hair, blue eyes, five-eight or nine-ish, about a buck twenty-ish. Late twenties early thirties, definitely ex-military. Interrogations. I'd start with the Army because she got along with the tin soldier down here," McDaniels replied sarcastically.

"Ok. So you want me to hack NSA and DOD. You want I should go for the postal service and the league of women voters too? Let's not miss anybody important if we're gonna piss people off," the voice on the other end remarked.

"Just find that bitch," McDaniels demanded and disconnected.

A glance at his watch told him she had a sixteen hour head-start. With any luck they'd still be planning when he and his team took down the cell. He used his credentials to bully his way onto an outbound flight heading east and by the time he got there the two connecting flights would be booked. No way was some tight ass in a skirt gonna snatch up his op. NSA or not.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Lyssa stood at the door of the Gulfstream waiting for Tiffany to open it so she could jump out. Rodrick had already depressurized the cabin and they were almost to the outskirts of Geneva. Lyssa was geared up in her battlesuit, full weapons load and her night High Altitude, High Opening jump rig. The dark grey HAHO chute would allow her to glide a long distance from the Drop Point to a Landing Zone. The LZ for her was a soccer field half a mile from the house she owned there. The plan was to get there and make it to the cell's location before dawn. Eliminate them all then sanitize the location. She'd exfiltrate to the border to be picked up using an old forgotten airstrip or make her way to Vienna if they needed help. The main goal of her operating alone was speed and stealth. By herself, she'd have no hindrances and no chance being seen. Within the hour she was inside the safe house and booting up her laptop. After linking up to Kimberly she received all the information there was and planned her incursion. In no time at all Lyssa was stealthily entering the cell's house.

One by one as they slept she made sure they'd never awaken then made it look like a team had stormed the house. She posed the bodies in a line in the main room and removed the index and thumb of the right hand of each along with a couple of teeth and left a large sheet of paper under one's head as if used for background to take pictures. Quickly she stripped away all vital electronic components; phones and computer motherboards and any paper that caught her eye then ransacked the house as if searching for hidden intelligence. CIA tradecraft. The she dropped an official business card; Thomas W. McDaniels- Central Intelligence Agency, Langley Virginia. Any investigators would have to work to find it so therefore they would believe it. She returned her SUV to the safehouse then went back for the cell's vehicle and used it to drive south. Lyssa crossed the mountains using a small road that barely qualified as that. There was a very small airfield just inside inside the border. It was for emergency use by U-2, A-12 spyplanes and later the vaunted SR-71 BlackBirds during the cold war but now long forgotten. Flying through that mountain pass blocked a plane's radar return for ten minutes. Plenty of time to land and pick her up.

 



 

CHAPTER 3

Tiffany heard the double click of Rodrick's mic and understood it to be the signal to make entry. Slowly she edged the window up and felt inside for hidden wires attached to noisemakers. There were none so she continued to raise the window and slither inside. A double click of her mic signaled her entrance. She had the second floor and he had the ground floor. Room by room they cleared the house silently using knives and suppressed pistol shots. They removed the rounds and collected their brass. Rodrick staged the scene as Tiffany stripped the electronics, neither spoke as they worked. When he was finished with the bodies he began up-ending furniture, pulling out drawers, and emptying cabinets then baring the shelves. Anyone looking at the place later on would definitely come to the conclusion that all had been done by a professional team working for a government, most likely the CIA or FSB. After a quick check of her work Rodrick nodded approval. They made their way out and back to the villa on the outskirts of Monte Carlo. Rodrick had landed with the story of needing a repair and use the down time to eat. They were gone a total of three hours. The Gulfstream had been serviced and refueled by the time they returned. In a matter of minutes they took off and headed back toward Switzerland.

"Sir. How do you both know about that airfield we're picking her up at," Tiffany asked.

Rodrick shrugged, "well the land was bought by the CIA and Army engineers built the strip. The story goes, back in the day, Christians In Action made up a bunch of shell companies all over Europe. They used those companies to establish covers and buy stuff like property and equipment and so on. The company they used for that place was given over to JSOC. It stays off the books so it can be used by Delta and DEVGRU. Lyssa was a DemonWraith so she's probably used it before. Don't forget those Nemesis guys. The nuke teams. They have to sneak in and deploy tactical nukes to wreck all lines in and around."

"That makes sense. Thank you Sir," Tiffany said.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Shawna crouched at the window carefully peering in. Pete had climbed up to the second floor while LoneStar was working entry on the other side of the house. Not seeing any anti-intrusion measures she worked the window up and felt inside. Attached to the corner of the window was a slim line.

"Spider-wire on window," she whispered into her mic.

Two double clicks returned. Carefully she used a paperclip to hook the line then cut it. Held by the make-shift hook the window was now free to be fully opened. Shawna looked inside more and saw the line ran not to a jumble of cans or similar noisemaker but to a pipe bomb.

"Shrapnel anti-intrusion," she whispered again then slithered into the room.

Moments later two double click followed then a triple click. Slowly and silently Shawna worked her way down the hallway clearing the rooms. Most were empty but one semi-dark room held one man asleep in front of a muted television tuned to a local weather and news station. In one quick move she clamped her hand over the sleeping man's mouth and nose with her left and jammed the Fairbarne-Applegate knife through the base of his skull into the brain with her right. It took only a second for him to die. As an afterthought she snapped his neck then moved on to the next room. At the end of the hall she met up with Pete as he descended the stairs and gave her a thumbs-up then flashed four fingers and gave the thumbs down sign four times. They both turned to search for LoneStar when he walked out of a doorway. He flashed them the thumbs up then two fingers then thumbed down twice.

Standing together Shawna whispered the plans, "Star grab every electronic; phones, computer mother boards. All means of communication and data storage. Pete get all the bodies into the main room into a line-up then start looking for any important papers in the house and don't be tidy. I'll take the index and thumb off the right hand of each plus a couple of teeth. Find me a big piece of blank paper or cardboard. Something to put under the heads for a backdrop for pictures."

Both men nodded and began the tasks. In ten minutes they had all there was and began slipping back out to the SUV. They walked into the house and began cleaning equipment and clothing. An hour later they were repacked and securing the house to leave.

 

~o~O~o~

 

McDaniels took the time of the layover in London to call the team in Vienna.

"We've got eyes on the house. A surveillance team just took position 15 minutes ago. All's quiet," the team leader informed him.

"Great. I want to be able to launch our assault the sooner the better, but I'll be leading it," McDaniels said with a tone of self satisfaction.

Two and a half hours later, as the sun was setting, he was met outside the Vienna airport and got into an SUV.

"Sir the house is still quiet. They must be under orders to lay low sir," the driver reported.

"All the better. Gives us more time to get in position but let's not dick around," McDaniels replied.

Half and hour later they arrived at a cluster of vehicles in a parking lot behind a store. Men in black pants and jackets with stocking caps tucked half into pockets stood as if in a planning meeting while weapons were checked.

McDaniels got out and walked over, "Better have your shit wired and ate Wheaties this morning."

"We're ready," a stocky built African-American man said.

Very quickly he briefed the agent of the assault plan. McDaniels grabbed a tactical vest and put on a large windbreaker to cover it then took the offered balaclava which he put on rolled to his brow so that he could just pull it down to cover his face. Five minutes after loading up they stopped in front and behind the house and quickly stormed the doors. The CIA case officer being the third in the front door stack and the team leader being the second in the back door stack moved quickly through the house after the doors were battered apart with a small one-man ram. They met no resistance. No enemy engagement. They soon found out why in the main room. The stormers looked in puzzlement at the line of dead bodies. McDaniel stood in shock.

Finally the team leader came down from the second floor, " Sir. Somebody went over this place with a fine tooth comb the same way we'd do it."

"Fingers, teeth, pictures. FUCK," McDaniels yelled then muttered to himself, "It couldn't be her. NSA would still be here and flaunting it, parading bodies past us. Or would have burnt the place to the ground to keep anybody from knowing."

Quickly he grabbed his phone and dialed in then secured the call.

"Ok. What do you got for me about that chick," McDaniels asked.

The voice on the other end sighed, "you're not gonna like it."

"Just tell me who that bitch is," he fumed.

After a pause the other end said, "nobody."

"Bullshit," the agent spat out.

"Tom you don't get it. I ran the name and the description through every database I could hack. Susan Caldwell doesn't exist. Whoever she is; a stone cold ghost, Tom. The closest I got was some FBI field agent's confidential report about a Karen Caldwell of the NSA and I checked that out too. No such Agent. The only Caldwell working for NSA in any capacity that allows any kind of travel is Jerome Caldwell and he does signal intercept. The only places he's allowed to travel to is like...Pine Gap and the site in Arizona. That's it. Its definitely not him because he's forty-three, six-one, two-sixty and black," the tech recited, "unless you're seriously going around the bend or yanking my chain, you're dealing with shit so far above our pay grades it could get us killed. By the way, I thought you went straight to Vienna, why the stop over in Geneva?"
"What? I did come straight here! What are you talking about," McDaniels demanded.

"Geneva police responded to a call about strange noises. Dead bodies lined up on the floor in the front room with fingers and teeth missing, one of your crumpled business cards found under a turned out drawer," the tech explained, "Interpol is screaming and the only reason the Swiss aren't going after your ass is because of the evidence left behind cluing in that they were planning a bank take down. The boss has been on the phone with Interpol for the past two hours trying to keep them from coming after you. I wouldn't dick around there Tom. Clear up and get out fast. You're booked on a flight that leaves in half an hour."

McDaniels hung up, "I can not fucking believe this! Get me back to the airport. NOW!"

 



 

CHAPTER 4

Shawna walked down from the Lear just as the Gulfstream touched down on the runway.

"There they are," Pete commented behind her as LoneStar was greeted by Kimberly.

Shawna noticed as well and asked, "isn't this a weekend you get to spend with Madison?"

Pete chuckled, "she's on her way. I'll pick her up in Nassau later."

"Ok. I'll start debriefing with you then," Kimberly said.

"Works for me," he said.

Pete followed Kimberly and LoneStar back into the hangar after passing his clipboard to Eddie as Warlock came pelting around the corner.

"One day that mutt's gonna get too close and get sucked into a turbine," Pete commented.

Warlock sat down and waited until Lyssa and Rodrick and Tiffany de-planed then trotted up to bark his greeting. Lyssa crouched down and ruffled his fur, praising him and Rodrick patted his side roughly.

"I'm going to head up and shower before I debrief," Lyssa called out to Kimberly who waved back.

"Sounds good to me too," Rodrick said then finished in german,"Warlock. Haus. Gehen!"

The belgian shepherd turned and gamboled away as Rodrick drove the cart with Lyssa riding beside him. Shawna waited downstairs from the office with Tiffany to be called in to debrief. Surprisingly she was called in before Tiffany. Kimberly was quick.

"ok Shawna. that's it. Get cleaned up and ready to go," Kimberly said after finishing.

"Go," Shawna asked, "Go where? We just got back."

Kimberly laughed, "You get to take a packet to the Major. Sign out the Lear and head up to D.C. Use the private airfield we use and take this with you."

Kimberly handed her a briefcase. Inside was all the necessary IDs, badges and other documentation for Special Agent Sasha Kirkpatrick of the DIA, Special Agent Sarah Callahan of Homeland Security, Agent Sharon Montgomery of ICE, Agent Seana Golson of the Secret Service, Agent Sally McManus of the CIA and Special Agent Stephanie Daniels of Department of Justice. the DOJ credentials gave her access to FBI, DEA and ATF. Quickly Kimberly showed her all the features of the case then helped her set the locks.

Finally Kimberly told her, "ok. After Lyssa and Rodrick debrief you'll be cleared to go."

"When? tomorrow," Shawna laughed.

Kimberly laughed as well, "no. They'll be here in a few minutes. time enough for you to get cleaned-up and ready to go You'll be gone for a week or so. Stop back in to get the case."

Shawna nodded and hurried to her trailer to shower change and re-pack. She noticed a clean battle-suit waiting for her to be added to her travel case. Three hours later she was headed north in the Lear.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Dannigan was glad he stayed late waiting for Shawna to come in with the mission packet.

After finishing the review of the after-action reports he nodded, "excellent work Ms. Davies. Very well done for your first tasking. In a month You'll have to be on the island for your final medical procedure and then you'll be out there. You have a choice; remain on the island or take up residence anywhere in CONUS. Preferably close to the D.C. area. say, no more than two hours away."

Shawna smiled for a moment then dropped it, "Sir, if I take up residence off the island how will I travel. Commercially?"

Dannigan shook his head, "not hardly. A Lear confiscated by Customs is now sitting at the private terminal hangars at the airfield Rodrick and Lyssa use here. Hangar 12 is ours now and you can park it inside. I've already told Pete to accompany Madison back on a commercial flight to pick up Rodrick's Lear. Here are the keys to a silver camaro sitting in the parking lot for you. Its in your legend name."

Dannigan passed over an envelope with the keys and papers.

"Wow. cool," Shawna said excitedly.

Dannigan took on a serious look, "remember. You're our ghost so be a ghost. Low profile in everything. As Lyssa taught you,' the less attention you attract; the less attention you will attract.' got it?"

"Yes Major," Shawna nodded.

He handed her an ID case and cellphone, "Shawna Daniels of the Senate sub-committee of counter-action. There are only four people that carry that and you're one of them. With this you have the HIGHEST rating in the nation. Technically you could execute the President for treason. You'd have to prove it, but you could. No one can order you to surrender your weapons. This is your legend."

"Yes Sir. I'll watch my step," Shawna answered understanding that it was her main cover now.

"You should have two weeks to get squared away then report back to Ram's Rock for evaluation and surgery. I'll be in touch and you can stay at the Georgetown safe-house tonight," Dannigan dismissed her.

Shawna stood up and saluted then left. She went out of the parking lot with a slight sqawk of tires out of the parking lot.

Dannigan's phone rang as he chuckled to himself. It was a message relay.

"Roberta Ironsides" a mechanical voice stated then the woman's voice came through, "Oxfords, not Brogues. Dinner party for six needed. Formal dress and black tie required. Prepay the check and send the bill to the Lone Stars."

"End message," the mechanical voice stated then disconnected.

Dannigan grabbed the phone and dialed the hangar.

"Kimberly. Tell Joe and Pete to get a plane ready. I need an extract. Find out everything on Roberta Ironsides and what connects her to the U.S. Marshals. Aw shit. She better not be in Ohio with that shit-storm," Dannigan growled.

"I'm all over it Major," Kimberly said then disconnected.

 

~o~O~o~

 

"I assure you Agent, er; I mean Miss Daniels. The purchase of the house and the title and everything will be kept strictly confidential," the Realtor named Jeffry Halston smiled.

"The property will be listed as owned by a holding company along with the services and utilities. Will that be a problem," She asked.

"Certainly not Ma'am. In fact, long ago my granddaddy worked for the Treasury. He chased moonshiners and that made him very unpopular so I understand you'd want the privacy. I'll be happy to help anyway I can. My civic duty you know, doing my part to serve my community and country," he nodded solemnly.

"That's very considerate Mr. Halston. And much appreciated. The payment will be wired to the account within the hour. I'll step over to that coffe shop and bakery I saw while I wait for the papers," Shawna stood up and shook hands with the middle-aged man dressed in a simple white button-up shirt and black chinos.

"Well since you do prefer privacy I'll unofficially welcome you to Belder Maryland and hope you enjoy making your home here," He nodded to over her handshake as if a modified court bow.

"Thank you, and please...call me Shawna," Shawna smiled then stepped out dialing the Cayman Island bank.

Three hours later Jeff dropped off the papers of ownership and keys then whispered that he finessed the local utility provider to go ahead turning everything on immediately and put under the holding company's name, paying the deposit himself. Shawna repaid the deposit money in cash with a bit extra for his accommodation to her.

The next day as the sun rose Shawna looked out the upstairs window as children walked by heading for school and could hear the drift of voices from a pair.

"I'm telling you Danny; something's different and PJ thought he saw a light on in there last night when he was sneaking home," a young girl said.

Her brother replied, "Come on. Like anybody would want to live in there. Dark House has been empty longer than you or me have been around and its gonna stay that way. The old lady died in there. Remember?"

The girl replied, "she lived alone and died of a broken heart, now she haunts it. Maybe PJ saw the ghost? I saw her picture in the town hall. She had jet black hair and pretty blue eyes. Whoa! Did you see that? A curtain moved! I saw a curtain move upstairs!"

"C'mon! You're just imagining things. We're gonna be late for school if we don't hurry," her brother goaded her.

As she watched the children bustle off Shawna smiled to herself and chuckled, "how ironic. Ghost house meet Ghost Moth. What secrets shall we share Darkfell Manor?"

Shawna easily wandered downstairs and locked up. She had to return to the island early and stay until her medical release, then she could come back and set up her new home.

 
 
 
 
 

The Chrysalis Project will continue.....

up
521 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

First test

So the new kids on the block have had their first test under fire and have passed it with flying colors, and the Ghost Moth got a bonus question as well. Lyssa and company were able to thwart multiple bank robberies in Europe, frame a CIA agent and get home safely. Then we readers are given a hint of a possible crossover story with Wolfjess' story Embracing Justice. I'll have to wait to see what happens next in both of these stories as they are leaving us at a cliffhanger. Kudos on the first chapter of the Ghost Moth!

Excellent Chapter

Okay does this mean that we get three stories a week now.
Chrysalis
Lyssa
Lana
Just kidding. Excellent as always
Hugs
Francesca

- Formerly Turnabout Girl

wonderful intro for Ghost Moth

This is a wonderful introduction for Ghost Moth as an active operator.

As you tend to outdo your previous chapters, I can't wait till you present the other two introductions. Those will likely be more awsome to read than this one.

Ok, time to read this awsome chapter again!!

Thanks Snowfall!!

You have opened up several exciting possiblities

This was a busy chapter - finishing up old business and starting new lines, plus hinting at more in the future.

I am intrigued by the ghost and Shawna having similar descriptions.

Waiting is sooo hard but the reward is worth it.

Jeri

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

great start

dawnfyre's picture

will the pickup be in the next installment here or in Embracing Justice?


Stupidity is a capital offense. A summary not indictable.

Snowfall,

Snowfall,
What a great chapter to start a new story line. Can't wait to see how Sam, Bobby, Katherine, and the DeMarco women get extracted from situation they find themselves in. Should be very, very interesting.
Any chance they can stop by FRILLS for some crepes and cupcakes on their way out of the country? hehehe .

Way cool.

Even cooler if we have side story sort of like "Frills and The Ghost Legend". :)

Awesome

Start to the Ghost Moth very nice indeed . I think that a certain CIA case officer is going to be squashed as I think he will not let go. but excellent 1st mission for the Girls of the Chrysillis Project. and a very nice Start for Shawna looking forwards to a lot more, and cannot wait to see More

Thankyou
Matt

thank you

enb4448's picture

For yet another excellent story. The legend continues.

Oxfords, not Brogues.

Nice Reference to Kingsman.

The last thing that you will never see.

nice

ghost-house meet ghost-moth nice , what are the odds that the new town is not so new .

another good read with just a hint off more to come.

thank you

so will the ghost moth try to

so will the ghost moth try to perpetuate the myth that the house is haunted and she is the ghost

Nice introduction

Jamie Lee's picture

Nice intro to a new ghost. Wonder how long it will be before she starts being haunted.

Nice touch keeping McDaniels in the dark. Especially since he thought he'd reap the work of another. He should also listen to the guy on the phone, least he get a visit from Lyssa.

Looking forward to more chapters.

Others have feelings too.