Orphan ~ 3

Printer-friendly version

I stood there looking around me. In the distance I could here the shouting of children, girls I presumed as this was a girl’s home after all.

Suddenly, a tennis ball flew through the air and hit me on the side of the head.

‘Ow!’ I said.

Orphan
By
Susan Brown


 
Chapter 3

 

I looked up at the sign ‘Lavenham Girls Care Home’ and shuddered slightly.

The cool breeze was lifting up the hem of my dress a bit and what with trying to hold my Biggles book in one hand and my teddy in the other, I was having a hard time of it. I transferred Teddy to my other arm and manfully or should I say girlfully tried to hold my hem down as we walked up the steps.

I felt so strange; my hair was getting in my eyes and I didn’t have a free hand to move it out of the way.

Anyway, eventually we reached the swing doors and Mandy, who was carrying a suitcase, pushed the door open; it squeaked a bit and needed oiling.

In front of me was a hallway. The lino on the floor was dark green and had black scuff marks on it and the walls were a slightly lighter shade of the same colour. The place looked clean but a bit like a hospital. Mandy walked over to the side. There was a door marked office and she knocked and walked in, not before telling me to stay where I was.

I stood there looking around me. In the distance I could here the shouting of children, girls I presumed as this was a girl’s home after all.

Suddenly, a tennis ball flew through the air and hit me on the side of the head.

‘Ow!’ I said.

There was rushing of feet coming down some stairs that I hadn’t noticed, and a young girl about my age dashed over and skidded to a halt in front of me.

She was thin, pretty with a short black skirt and a white blouse on. She had long mousy brown hair and tons of freckles. She had a pleasant smile, was a bit sweaty and was breathing rather heavily.

‘Hello. Did I hit you? Sorry about that, Penny’s back swing is useless but I missed it anyway. Are you new?’

‘Erm…yes.’

‘What’s your name?’

‘M…Stephanie.’

‘Not sure who you are then?’

‘Pardon?’

‘You know Mmmmmm…Stephanie.’

I laughed at her attempts at copying the way I spoke.

‘Sorry, I’m a bit stupid at the moment.’

‘I know, it’s a bit strange at first coming to a prison like this. Nice teddy, by the way, not a patch on my doll, though…Do you know, they only feed us bread and water, send us to bed at eight and make sure we get up before dawn to scrub the place out and then, to cap it all, the whip…’

‘Tracy Anne Stewart, what are you saying to this poor girl?’

Both our heads snapped around as we saw an elderly lady, at least 40 walk up to us and put her hands on her hips.

‘Oh, erm, hello Matron, just saying how wonderful it is here.’

‘Scoot.’

‘Pardon me?’

‘Vamoose, go, leave, depart, push off…’

‘OK; see you later M…Stephanie.’

She gave a cheeky grin and rushed up the stairs and out of site.

Matron looked at me a slight smile playing on her lips.

‘Take no notice of what Tracy says, she likes winding people up. Now I take it that you are Stephanie then?’

‘Yes Miss.’

‘I’m Mrs, actually, Mrs Grant but you can call me Matron. Now, where is Mandy?’

‘She went in there,’ I said pointing at the door.

‘Right, lets get you sorted out, come with me.’

She held my hand and walked me over to the door.

As we went, I looked up and I could see a dozen faces staring at me through banisters from the floor above. Tracy was there and waving at me and on an impulse, I waved back.

Before I could think about that, I found myself in an office.

Mandy, cigarette in her mouth was talking animatedly to a woman sitting at a desk.

They both looked up as we entered.

‘Hello Matron.’ said Mandy.

‘Nice to see you again Mandy; would you like to come into my office?’

Matron was still holding my hand and it was quite nice and reassuring.

We walked into her office and Matron motioned Mandy and me to sit on a chair as she shut the door and sat behind a large desk. I hugged my teddy as I think he was a bit scared. I know, I’m a bit old for this but I don’t care as teddies have feelings too.

Mandy sat next to me and we both waited for what Matron was going to say.

She looked at some papers, coughed then frowned and then looked straight at me.

‘Stephanie, I believe that you should know all that is going to happen to you; it’s your life after all. Well Mandy, you only gave me the briefest of details on the phone. Tell me all about what has happened.’

I just sat there mute as Mandy told Matron what had occurred to me. I got quite upset when the accident to my parents was explained and then the fact that there was no place for me at the boys’ home. I felt a bit unwanted and very insecure.

‘Stephanie!’

I looked up and could see that Matron was looking at me with an enquiring look on her face.

‘Sorry, did you say something.’

‘Yes, dear; how do you feel about pretending to be a girl?’

‘I… I don’t know. It’s all strange to me. Lots of nasty things have happened and I just want everything to get better…I want my mum and dad back.’

I put my head in my hands and started sobbing.

I could feel some soft arms hugging me and comforting me. I just cried all the harder.

I was dimly aware of a door opening and then closing but I was too wrapped up in my grief to care.

Finally, after quite a while I looked up and through misty tears could see the matron looking at me with a concerned face.

‘Feeling any better?’

‘A bit - sorry.’

‘What for?’

‘Crying.’

‘We all need a good cry sometimes and you have been through a lot. Now blow you nose with this hanky and wipe your eyes. Look your teddy fell on the ground, here you are. Mandy has gone to get us all a cup of tea and she’ll be back in a minute.’

She left me cuddling teddy, feeling a bit stupid perhaps as I’m quite old now and shouldn’t need to have a cuddly toy and sat behind her desk again.

‘Are you OK to talk now?’

‘Yes,’ I sniffed.

‘Good. Well as you know it’s a bit unusual, what we are doing here, but it was felt by all concerned that you would feel better with children of you own age around you. Though we didn’t expect those children to be girls, but we have no choice and we have to do what we can. Now I did ask you about how you felt about pretending to be a girl. Do you feel up to telling me?’

I looked at her and then down at my dress. It did feel strange wearing these clothes but it was also a bit funny how quickly I had gotten used to it.

‘I don’t know how good I can pretend, but I’m willing to have a go.’

‘That’s all I ask. If you get too uncomfortable or you get found out, we will have to do something else even if it means moving you to another area…’

‘Please, I don’t want to go away!’

‘Why, dear?’

‘Cos I want to me near to my mum and dad.’

I could see her eyes get a bit wet.

‘We’ll see how you get on. Now… oh hello Mandy, thanks for getting the tea.’

As I drunk the hot sweet drink, Matron explained how thing were going to work.

‘As far as all the girls and staff here are concerned, you are a girl. The only other member of staff who knows about you and will help you to cope is Sally Mason; she has the day off but will see you tomorrow. In a minute, I will show you up to the dormitory .You are in the same one as that little monkey Tracy. She is a bit wild but has a heart of gold.’

‘What about changing?’

‘Changing?’

‘Well won’t the girls notice my boy bits when I change my clothes?’

‘That’s OK, this place used to be a hospital and your dorm is in one of the old wards. Every bed has a curtain that can be pulled around for privacy. We encourage this because the girls need their own personal space. Most of them pull the curtains around when they are changing. Also, we have some separate wash cubicles in the bathroom so there is no need to be shy there. Indeed, this is the reason why I agreed to you coming; both you and the other girls need not feel awkward about things. Are you happy with that?’

I nodded. Perhaps things wouldn’t be too bad after all. Deep down under all the unhappiness, I remembered when I smiled and laughed a lot. OK, I was sometimes bullied at school, but I was a bit of a joker and I could normally get the bullies laughing before they hit me. I remember at my last school, I was late for class and I rushed through the open door, not noticing the step. I fell in and went head over heals landing up in front of the teacher.

‘What’s all this?’ he said.

I answered the first thing that came into my mind.

‘Hello, sir, just dropped in for a bit.’

Everyone laughed and that was how things were for me until the accident, a joker, accepted and not bullied too often. Perhaps I could just deal with my situation like some sort of great leg pull?

In no time I was saying goodbye to Mandy. I gave her a hug and thanked her for looking after me.

‘No problem, Stephanie. I’ll probably be seeing you from time to time and when we can transfer you to somewhere better, I’ll let you know.’

With that, she left me to the tender mercies of the Lavenham Girls Care Home and all that lived there.

Before I knew it, I was being led upstairs by the matron. I could hear in the distance the sounds of laughing girls. As we drew closer to the noise, I started getting more and more worried as to whether I could pull this off.

At the top of the stairs, I could see at the end of the corridor; some girls were playing tennis or something, They all had racquets and the ball was flying here, there and everywhere. How lights and windows were not damaged, I couldn’t tell. All I could see was girls laughing, shouting, hitting tennis balls and generally having a good time.

Just then, there was a piercing whistle and everyone stood still, just like statues. A ball rolled toward me and stopped in front of where I was standing. You could here a pin drop…it was weird.

I looked at matron with her whistle still in her mouth and then as she took it out she said in a stern voice, ‘What is going on here?’

To be continued...


Please leave a comment... Ta very muchly

Orphan is very much in a free-form style and is quite spontaneous as I just write it and without much in the way of change, publish it. So if it appears a bit rough in places, sorry.

up
291 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice and interesting story

My guess is that he is tg but doesnt know it yet and going to a girls school would be the best option if the facts were known.

Not sure yet, but...

A simple suggestion on formatting at the end... If you put <hr> on the line between the end of your story and your notes to the readers you'll get a nice horizontal line to break the flow. I got briefly confiused when I read "What is going on here" and then Please leave a comment...

Well done, Sue…

…this is taking shape nicely.

Keep up the good work,

Hugs,
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Minor question about the minor

Was the name change from Samantha to Stephanie the characters fault or the controlling entity? Otherwise a nice start.

.flesym meht desrever I .....SPOO

i love it

i am inlove with this story. its very cute and lightherted, except for the death of his parents but it seems like he or she has alot of people to comfort him. Its very sweet

Great work!!!

Free form or not please keep this going!

I Don't Know How You Do It

joannebarbarella's picture

You keep all these balls in the air, tossing off chapters of Orphan and Olivia, etc, with gay abandon and at a great rate of knots. If this is "free form" more, more, more please. I love the way you are establishing Stephanie's character. He'll be she before she knows it; and the authenticity of the institutional establishment with the lino floors and painted walls. I can almost smell the carbolic. Nice one, Sue.

let it flow

kristina l s's picture

You're doing a great job with this one, so keep it coming just as you are.

Kristina

M... Stephanie

Cute story. I'm enjoying it muchly.

Orphan - Thanks!

Many thanks for the kind comments and for being lenient and understanding about my bad grammar, syntax, mixing names and any other mistakes that I may have made:-)

Hugs
Sue

Bad Grammer? No... Authenticity of individuals present

I LOVE IT...

I have only very recently found this site having been directed here from Fictioneer!

It has been my good fortune to find "Orphan" early on.

Reminds me a bit of London and Portions of Vancouver (Canada, not Washington, USA).

I do so miss the accent which I may hear within the verbage presented by your characters, sorry luv, participants of the story.

Native borne of the USA, unfortunately or fortunately, who knows... I do so enjoy a good cuppa whenever visiting. While Italy is good for it's red wine, tea is something else again.

I will thouroughly love following the colour you are placing within this wonderful story.

Teddi

Just loved thid part!

"I know, I’m a bit old for this but I don’t care as teddies have feelings too."

I am very old to love my plushies, but Snowball and Whitepaws (husky-puppies), Johanna The Rabbit (a female rabbit) and Päkä Pässinen (the name is in Finnish and means a male goat or sheep) can testify that I love them to bits and hug them too!

Hugs,
Sissy Baby Paula & all my little ones

An elderly lady of about

An elderly lady of about 40!!! Oh MY! Guess age is in the eye of the beholder. As my Grandmother used to say "Old is ten years older than you are." She told me this when she was 85 and was making lap robes for the elderly people in a nursing home. J-Lynn

Good Show

I am reading this feel sorry for the young lad, know he will have trouble alone the way. You thin anyone old is 10 years your senior, then I am really old, as I am 20 years older, but age is only a number, you are as old as you feel, some times I am very old sometimes I am very young. I love this story and follow what is going on with the Lad and wish him or her all the luck in the world, it's hard to lose your family very hard, i know.

Hugs and Kisses
Melissa Ann

Hugs and Kisses
Melissa Ann

Fitting in

(Yeah, I know it's 2½ years since the story was posted, but in common with other stories I 'pick up' late, I'll ignore the time differential - after all, it is my first encounter with the story)

As a significant portion of boys in care tend to be the 'rough and tumble' type that enjoy picking on and bullying those smaller and weaker than themselves, oddly enough the girls home may be the next best thing to foster care for Mark. And I imagine that he'll soon be happy to stay there until a long term fostering placement is found.

 


EAFOAB Episode Summaries

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

better

It is getting better. At least poor Mar...NO Stephanie is going to be taken care of. I'm afraid of the young girl that is a holy terror. I think she might be trouble....Rebecca