Kittyhawk - Part 18

Printer-friendly version


Catherine experiences her first encounter with the press...and international politics. And finds a new friend on the way home...
KittyHawk
Part 18
by Saless

"Khun mae beautiful!" Lek breathed.

"Thanks Lek, but you look quite pretty yourself!" I said. She shrugged and looked down uncomfortably.

"She get used to it." Muay said apologetically.

"That's alright, it took me a while to get used to this, too." I said, having already guessed that Lek didn't start out as a girl. Either Muay did, or adapted very well.

That was, thankfully, the end of that. Muay and I thanked Emilia and her helpers for their work. I was just beginning to wonder what we would do in the meantime when Thomas returned.

"Wow, Cat, you look great!" was the first thing he said upon seeing me. Then he turned to the girls, "And you two are beautiful!" Muay preened at his praise but Lek just looked down, blushing.

"So, when is this press conference?" I asked.

"Whenever you're ready. Everything's set up in one of the hotel's conference rooms." he replied.

Sighing, I said, "Okay, let's get this over with."

"Do you know what you're going to say?" he asked as he held the door open for us.

I shrugged, "More or less. It's the questions that I'm worried about."

Once out of the room he led us to the elevators and down to the first floor. We bypassed the lobby and went into a small room with a connecting door to the conference room. "You three wait here and I'll get things started." he said, walking through that other door.

We waited anxiously for a few minutes before he returned and beckoned us through. Immediately I was blinded by camera flashes and felt Lek and Muay grab onto my hands tightly. My wings were tightly folded to get through the doorway but once through I opened them enough to curl them around the girls as well as I could.

I didn't have a speech prepared, per se. Just a rough idea of what I wanted to talk about. So I told them some of the ways mutants were being mistreated, and how we were trying to establish a safe place for them. It was pretty short, really, since I don't have any experience with giving speeches and didn't want to make a fool of myself.

Then the questions started. They weren't as friendly as Thomas had made them out to be, but they weren't as bad as I'd feared, either. Only one person asked about Lek and Muay, which I think they appreciated. The rest of the time they concentrated on things I had done or seen.

All in all it wasn't too bad. Still, I was glad when Thomas ended it and led us back to the room.

"So, how did I do?" I asked on the elevator ride up.

Thomas smiled, "You did great. You brought a lot of things out into the open that most people aren't aware of. Many won't believe it, of course, like some of those reporters showed. But it should help."

Once back in the room the girls jumped on the bed again, obviously relieving some nervous energy from the press conference. Thomas smiled as he watched them playing around and then asked if we wanted anything to eat.

"The girls could use something, I'm sure. And I suppose I could manage with a steak or something, so long as it's cooked as little as possible." I said.

There turned out to be a menu in the room, so I read through it and told the girls what they had. Once they'd chosen what they wanted Thomas called it in for us. "Well, I'll leave you three to eat. Carl and I have some things to discuss tonight, so will you be okay here for the rest of the night?"

I shrugged, "Sure, that's fine. When will the UN meeting be?"

"Ten o'clock in the morning, so you'll need to be ready by nine. Just order from the menu in the morning and we'll meet you here." Thomas replied.

We said goodnight to Thomas and waited for our food. It arrived about twenty minutes later. The girls loved it. Mine was okay, but not nearly as satisfying. I hadn't considered the food issue, having spent most of my time in wild areas where I could hunt on my own since my mutation. Fortunately I could get by with mostly raw meat for a little while without too much trouble. Especially since I had a good charge going for me.

There wasn't much to do in the room, so we ended up talking. Somehow the conversation came around to how I mutated. I told them my story, and asked how it happened to them. They both grew quiet at that.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." I said.

"No, khun mae, I tell." Muay said. "Meesang family poor, have no money. Sell Damni to bad people."

"Meesang? Damni?" I said, not quite following.

"Family name, Meesang. My name Damni. Parents sell me." she explained. "Bad people stick needle in me, change me. They have no use for weak girl and sell to very bad man." Lek was clinging to Muay, or Damni, at this point as tears silently fell from both their eyes. This story was clearly not news to Lek, but I was horrified to learn her own parents had sold her, presumably to Genarm.

I wrapped my arms and wings around them both and held them until all our tears stopped. When I pulled back I said, "Why have you always gone by Muay?" in an attempt to shift the conversation a different direction.

"Muay nickname, public name. Damni only for family." Damni replied. That prompted another tearful hug. I was honored and touched that she considered me family.

Once we were calm again the focus naturally shifted to Lek, who hadn't told us how she mutated yet, though I suspected Damni knew. She looked down and nudged Damni. Damni nudged her back. Sighing, she looked hesitantly up at me and said, "Maha change fish eat. Sold bad man. Mai now."

I was stunned to hear her say so much, in English anyway. It was easily the longest sentence I'd heard from her. Her English obviously still needed a lot of work, though. I looked questioningly at Damni.

Sighing, Damni explained, "Lek born Maha. Eat bad fish, change into Mai. Juntasa family sell to very bad man. Meet Damni, meet khun mae."

I nodded, assuming that Maha was a male name, even though it really sounded more like a female name to me. Obviously she'd been transformed from eating contaminated fish and her parents (I guessed that Juntasa was her family name), too, had sold her. But since she was already mutated she was sold directly to the Bangkok Zoo where she met Damni.

We had another hug-fest. Mai bawled her eyes out once I'd made it clear I didn't care who she was before. I cried, as well, knowing what a rotten life these kids had. Both had been extremely poor, but the real tragedy was their own families turning on them. One for money and the other because of prejudice (and money). And I didn't even want to think about the way that man had treated them. I almost wished he was still alive so I could kill him again... slowly.

We didn't speak much after that. Damni and Mai were both tired, but seemed just a little more relaxed and calm now that they'd told me their stories.

In the morning we all had to wash our faces to clear all the dried tears out of them. That reminded me of our previous conversation and their revealing their names. "Damni, Mai?" I said, hoping I understood correctly their wish for me to use their names.

They both smiled widely at my use of them. "Yes khun mae?" Damni asked.

"You said your names are only for family. Does that mean I should only call you Muay and Lek around everyone else?" I asked.

They nodded, "Yes khun mae. But khun pho okay."

"Khun pho?" I repeated. "Do you mean Paul?" They both nodded, smiling. This was the first I'd heard them refer to him this way, but I was glad to hear it. "So only Damni and Mai when it's only Paul and I?"

They nodded again, "Yes, only family." Damni and Mai both smiled very widely when Damni said it, obviously happy to have a proper family.

We were just finishing breakfast when Thomas knocked on the door.

"How are you this morning? Sleep well?" he asked.

"We're fine. Is it time to go?" I said.

He shook his head, "No, not yet. Emilia will be here momentarily to help you three get ready. We'll be leaving immediately after that."

I nodded and finished eating. Emilia arrived on schedule and we went through the hair and makeup business again after getting dressed. The girls looked great, even if Mai was still uncomfortable with being a girl.

After that we were hurried down to another limo; wading through the press to get to it. Police kept things from getting too crazy, though. From there it was a short drive to the UN building and a walk through another crowd of reporters and cameras. Mai and Damni stayed glued to my side as usual.

Thomas led us to another room to wait much as before the press conference. A few other people came in as we waited, none of whom were mutants so far as I could tell. They kept their distance.

Damni and Mai stayed glued to my side as we waited. We seemed to be there for hours before someone came for one of the others. They cast one last look at us before following the man out. This happened a few more times until it was only the three of us. Finally, Thomas came for us.

"What's happening?" I asked.

He shrugged, "They're ready to hear what you have to say now. There have been a few other people called in and it's hard to say how things are going as yet. I'm hopeful, though. I know I have the support of at least two countries so far."

"Okay, but what do we do?" I asked, feeling very out of my depth.

"I'll lead you into the meeting room. Then I'll explain what we're looking for from them and we'll answer whatever questions come our way." He replied.

"Okay...lead the way." I said nervously.

Thomas led us through a hallway and into a large meeting room. We found ourselves surrounded by representatives from dozens of countries. It was intimidating, to say the least. Though, I did find the way the security people went on guard at the sight of me oddly comforting.

There was some talking going on amongst the various representatives before they asked Thomas to explain what he wanted. He gave a fairly long, impassioned speech about the need to establish a safe place for mutants to go to avoid persecution. He mentioned various atrocities; not all of which I was aware of. Hearing it all laid out together like that seemed to bring it home to some people. Others were skeptical. They asked him many questions, some of which revealed the prejudices of the person asking them. It was disappointing, though not particularly surprising, to find that so many people in positions of power were so close-minded.

The representative for the United States seemed particularly stubborn. He kept going on about how lawless mutants are, using myself and Chrysalis as prime examples. I did my best to defend my actions but wasn't sure how convincing it was. Thomas' talk about Chrysalis seemed more so. She really did sound like a super hero the way he talked about her. It made me wish I could meet her and see if she was everything he was making her out to be.

When the US representative went on another spiel about how dangerous I am I was surprised to find it was the representative for Japan that stepped in before Thomas or I could. He had nothing but good things to say about me, and about how his people had changed their attitudes about mutants after I stopped those bank robbers, which was news to me!

Finally they said they'd heard all they needed to hear and we were dismissed. Thomas led us back to the room we were in before. "So...is that it?" I asked.

He shook his head, "No, not yet. They'll deliberate and call us back in to tell us what they've decided. It could take a while, so you may as well get comfortable."

We sat down, Damni and Mai curling up on either side of me. Thomas sat across from me. "Did you know about that bit about Japan?" I asked.

He grinned, "Yeah, that's one of the countries I knew was on our side. You've done more good than you know."

I shook my head in confusion, "Okay, what's the other one, then?" I thought about Australia but figured it was a little arrogant to think that both were because of my actions.

"Costa Rica. It's become a haven for mutants. But they don't really have the space or resources so they're happy to have another refuge established." Thomas explained.

"Are there any other countries that are friendly to mutants?" I asked.

"Yes and no," he replied, "there are countries that talk about equality for mutants but their actions are not always as positive as their words."

We sat in silence for a while after that. Finally, a man came to lead us back to the room. I noticed right away that there were quite a few hateful glares being directed our way and got a sinking feeling in my stomach.

There were a few speeches after that that weren't particularly encouraging. Finally, the representative for Costa Rica spoke up and said that the council had decided to go ahead with the mutant refuge! They called it Kittyhawk Island, at which I cringed. I started to correct them but Thomas shushed me. Then the representative for Japan spoke up, promising to donate 50 million dollars towards the refuge! I was so shocked I really didn't hear much of anything else after that.

Sometime later Thomas led us away. I was so shocked by the result it wasn't until we were in the limo again that I came to my senses. "50 million dollars?!" I squeaked.

Thomas chuckled, "That's really not much, as such things go. But it's a start. Other countries will join in, I'm sure."

"So what happens now?" I asked.

Thomas shrugged, "Not much right away. They'll hash out the details between them over the next few weeks or months. Nothing substantial will happen until after that."

"So what, we just leave, then?" I said.

"Well, I think it would be a good idea to speak to the press again before you do. That will help get the word out more quickly." He replied. "It won't take long to set up another press conference in the hotel, if you're up for it."

"I suppose we can do that. But I'd really like to head back soon, if we can." I said, worrying about Paul and the others.

He smiled, "Of course, you can leave right after the press conference if you want. In fact, I suspect the government types would appreciate it. I don't think you realize what a commotion your presence here makes."

I shrugged, "I'll take your word for it. The sooner we get going the happier I'll be. If nothing's going to happen for a while on this end then I need to get back and take care of business on my end."

"What are you planning?" Thomas asked worriedly.

"Nothing much right now. Just gathering any other stray mutants we can find who want to join us and taking care of the ones we've found already. We've already started moving them to the island and will continue with that. Once everyone's safely back at the island, though, we'll have to start thinking about dealing with Genarm." I said grimly.

He frowned, "What do you mean, 'dealing with'?"

"I won't know until we get to that point, but we know that Genarm is purposefully mutating hundreds of people without their consent and then killing the rejects or selling them as slaves. We can't just let that happen." I said, working hard to keep my anger in check at the thought of all that company had done.

His frown deepened but he nodded, "I see. I'd like you to stay away from illegal activities as much as possible but I admit the line gets rather blurred in these circumstances. If you can, try to find proof of what they're doing...even if you do tear them down by force. It'll help keep your enemies from using your actions against them. And maybe we can avoid force altogether and let the international community deal with Genarm."

"I don't have much hope of that last part," I said, "but I'll get what I can. Saving mutants has to take priority over gathering evidence, though."

"I understand." Thomas said with a sigh.

We were silent through the rest of the drive to the hotel and the hectic trip inside. Then Emelia was back to make sure we were ready for the press conference. Then the conference itself, where I tried not to make any more of a fool of myself than I had to. It seemed to go well, or at least Thomas said it did.

Finally that was out of the way and we found ourselves back in the hotel room. "Feel free to take these clothes with you." Thomas said, pointing out everything Emilia had selected for us. Not all of which we'd worn, other than trying it on for fit.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"It's already bought, so you may as well. I'm sure the three of you could use the clothing, anyway." Thomas said.

I shrugged, "True enough, though I'm not sure how often we'll be able to wear fancy clothes like these." Damni seemed happy with the idea, though, so I didn't put up any more resistance. Mai, on the other hand, wanted to change back into the clothes she arrived in. Thomas advised against it until we were away from the press.

"So what will you be doing now?" I asked on the trip back to the plane.

"I've been chosen to act as the liaison between the UN and the island so I'll be busy enough." he replied happily.

I nodded, "Makes sense...that's pretty much what you've been doing anyway. What about your old job?"

He shrugged, "I was about done with that, anyway. Too much time working with people who had no concern for other people. I'll have to deal with my fair share of that type now, too, of course, but I'll also be working with all of you on the island so I'm okay with that."

The limo stopped then as we'd arrived at the pier where Carl's plane was waiting. Carl was already there getting it ready to go. So was the press.

Thomas insisted on carrying the bag with the extra clothes, which seemed silly since I'm so much stronger than him. But it did take some concentration for me to get out of the limo because of my wings so I didn't complain. Once the bags and the girls were on board he shook my hand and wished me luck.

"I'll be in touch through the satellite phone on the island. Carl can keep you updated on things until you get back. Be careful!" he said, waving us away. I ducked inside and soon we were on our way.

I filled Carl in on what had happened as we flew away. But I hadn't gotten far before something flew right in front of us! "What was that?!" Carl exclaimed, recoiling but quickly regaining control of the plane.

"I don't know..." I said, scanning the sky in hopes of seeing it again. It wasn't small, that much was certain. And it was fast!

It flew by again and then took up a position in front of us. It was a mutant with beautiful butterfly wings! I'd never seen anything like her. She was pointing down, like she wanted us to land.

"What do you think?" Carl asked, looking around as if expecting an ambush.

I shrugged, "We're still pretty close to New York. It seems unlikely to be a trap. Besides, she's a mutant! I say we land and see what she has to say."

He looked skeptical but sighed and landed the plane. The mutant circled until we'd stopped and then landed on top of the plane. Rather gently, in fact. I was impressed.

She hopped down onto the pontoon as I opened the door and I let her in. She was able to fold her wings up rather impressively to the point they took up less room than my own. Her hair had an interesting spectrum of pink to purple going and her skin seemed almost inhumanly pink. Her violet eyes were wide and innocent looking.

"Uh, hi, you're, uh, Kittyhawk, right?" She mumbled shyly.

I nodded, "Yes, that's what they call me." Then I remembered something Thomas had said. "You wouldn't happen to be Chrysalis, would you?"

She smiled shyly, "Uh, yeah, that's what I've been calling myself now."

"Well, this is a surprise...I've heard good things about you. What brings you out here?" I asked, remembering that Chrysalis had mostly been active in South and Central America.

"I came looking for you, actually." She replied, looking nervous. "I need your help."

"Oh? From what I've heard you don't need anybody's help..." I said. By all accounts she was a very powerful mutant. Maybe up to my level.

She looked down in embarrassment and shrugged self-consciously, "I guess I can take care of myself okay...but this is bigger than anything I've dealt with before. I can't do it alone."

"What's the problem?" I asked, wondering if I dared get involved in anything else. My plate was already pretty full...

"There's this place, where I was mutated, where all kinds of horrible things are being done. It's called the Bubble. Supposedly they're researching a cure for mutation there, because that's where it all started or something, but they're actually doing just about the exact opposite!" she said.

"Where it all started...could that be the ship...?" I wondered aloud, glancing at Carl.

Carl nodded, "Yeah, the ship was brought back up and converted into a lab to research the mutation. They thought at first to quarantine the area, but of course it was far too late for that. So now it's used to try and reverse mutations. Having ready access to plenty of contaminated sea water makes it a logical source. Not to mention having the containers it all came from right there. The US government is doing the research, but I believe Genarm managed to get some people there."

"Genarm?" Chrysalis asked.

"It's the company that came up with the stuff that mutated all of us. It was a failed super-soldier formula. It was to be dumped along with various other chemical and radioactive waste. I was on the ship it was being transported on, without the knowledge of most of the crew. We were attacked by pirates and the containers were broken up and caught on fire. That's where I mutated. We've learned that they've continued their research and have been forcibly mutating people as part of their research. Not to mention killing or enslaving their rejects." I explained.

"Oh my god!!" she explaimed, obviously shocked. "I had no idea it was that big! Now it's even more important we put a stop to them. Will you help me? Please?!" she begged.

"Of course!" Carl declared before stopping and wondering, "Why did I just say that?"

I'd felt a sort of...urge...to say the same but it passed quickly. "We've got a lot of weak and injured people to take care of back in Thailand...but once everyone is safely back at the island, of course I'll help you. We were already planning on taking on Genarm. But we need to be careful about it. They're a big, powerful company with lots of powerful friends."

"But you'll help me?" she asked hopefully.

"Of course, we can use all the help we can get against Genarm." I said, happy to have someone like Chrysalis on our side.

"Thank you so much!" she cried happily, suddenly hugging me. I felt amazingly happy for a moment, then it faded again. I began to wonder if there wasn't more to Chrysalis than met the eye. But that only made her an even better ally against Genarm if I was right.


To Be Continued…

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Perhaps

it should've been Chrysalis speaking to the UN! :) So good to see our girl again!
Hugs
Grover

Welcome back!

And it's nice to see another update from Kittyhawk & co. So, Catherine's found out more about Lek and Muay, survived two press conferences, witnessed KittyHawk Island become official, met Chrysalis, and got a new mission for once everyone's safely back at the island. Phew!


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!