Beyond the Lines of Friendship

Printer-friendly version

This story is based on the story called, "I, my sister" and was written by Diana Christy (07/97). I would like to thank Diana for allowing me to use parts of her story in mine. I would also like to thank Arcee and Darkside for their support and suggestions that I needed to finish this story. A special thanks to Elaine for all her hard work in proofing the story and her suggestions on a number of different issues. I couldn't have written this story without their support. Thanks guys!

Warning: This story contains sexual material and transgender themes. If you're not 18 or over, or are offended by such material then don't read it! This story can be posted on Fictionmania or any other free sites however, I do ask that you notify me first before doing so.

The Life and Death of Al Parker
Part 3 - Beyond the Lines of Friendship

By Kelly Davidson

Chapter 1 -- The plan

Tom sat in his motel room staring at the blank wall across from him. He didn't have a clue on how he was going to get Jennifer, or rather Al, out of this situation safely. He had gone through half a dozen plans in his mind and each one he deemed wasn't feasible. But from these plans he did realize one thing, Dr. Jensen was going to have to die. There was no other alternative that he could see. If he let her live then their lives, as well as many others, would always be in danger. Yet knowing that fact didn't help ease his conscience. He had never been part of murdering someone before. Even when he had been on the police force he would never have shot at anyone with the intent to kill. Now he was being forced to go against his own principles to save others. It didn't sit well with him.

Then there was Al. It was clear Al was on the brink of committing suicide if he didn't do something fast. The only thing stopping him was the control Gerald and Dr. Jensen had over his mind, and maybe a deep desire to even the score with everyone involved. But once that was over, so would his desire to live one more minute trapped in Jennifer Anderson's body. It was odd to think that way but the fact was, Al Parker was trapped in another person's body, even if at one time it had been his own. Tom wondered if the situation could be reversed or altered somehow. Of course what Al really needed was outside help but first he had to find something else for him to hold on to.

`Wait, maybe that wasn't right,' he suddenly thought to himself. `Maybe what Al needed was an extension of the current situation.' Tom smiled as he kicked the idea around in head. Yes, this idea may work if he played his cards right.

Slowly but surely Tom began to devise a plan to free Al from his situation. It all centered around when Dr. Jensen got back from her trip. Al would have his revenge and more by the time this was over. And the good doctor's project would be finished for good.

***

Al kept looking out the window every chance he could. Tom was out there, waiting for the right moment to rescue him. The last two days had seemed like an eternity to him, especially since most of his time had been spent with Gerald. Normally Al would have spent the majority of his time cleaning the house and fixing meals. But with Dr. Jensen gone, Gerald put a hold on the housework so Jennifer would have more time serving his selfish needs. But tonight, if everything worked out as Tom planned, Al would be free from his grasp for good.

Gerald reached out from behind and lifted up the hem of the silk dress Al was wearing. He gave Jennifer a devilish grin. "I see you're wearing the dress that I like so much. Let's say we go back into your bedroom and find out what else you have on that I like."

Gerald took the maid's hand and Al followed the bodyguard back to his bedroom like a mindless robot. But Al didn't care this time; it was all part of Tom's plan.

***

Tom took one more look at the mirror before leaving his room. Although he considered his chance of success as being better then average, he also knew there was a good chance he might fail. Such failure meant the end of life, as he knew it.

"Well, it's too late to turn back now," he told the reflection in the mirror. He was now committed to see this through.

Tom drove to the house in silence, not even listening to the radio. He didn't want anything to distract him as he went over the plan one more time in his mind. Everything had to be perfect.

After parking his car on a side road where it couldn't be seen, he jogged slowly up to the gate. Carefully he looked around to make sure no one was watching him. The last thing he needed was a witness seeing him go in.

Convinced everything was safe, Tom punched in the code Al had given him and the gate slowly began to open up. When it opened wide enough he darted inside and hit the close button. The gate closed back up and locked. `So far so good,' he thought.

He made his way up the driveway, darting between trees in case Gerald happened to be looking out the window. When he was close enough to the house, he saw the light on in the kitchen; a signal Al had left for him indicating that Gerald was distracted and the coast was clear.

Quietly he unlocked the front door with a key Al had given him and stepped inside. A careful check revealed Gerald was with Al in his room. He looked at his watch -- there wasn't much time left. Tom walked down the hallway toward the lab.

***

Sarah Jensen was happy to be home. Her trip to Washington had been very long and tiring. More than that, it had been very upsetting. Her boss was a butthead who didn't understand any of the potential that project "Phoenix" represented. The entire time she was there, he had made it a point to remind her that she worked for him, and the only thing she should be concerned about was project "Peace".

"It seems," he told her in front of a group of other paper pushers, "that you're not devoting all your time and effort to this project. Remember that you work for me. I paid for your office, your bodyguard, and your computer equipment plus all the research material you needed to get this project started. It's time you considered that and started producing."

Sarah would have been more open to his criticism if he hadn't been such an `ass' about it and belittled her in front of ten other people. But he wanted to pound the point home that she was his employee and he was the boss, not the other way around.

"Stupid male-ego jackass!" Sarah shouted as she opened up the gate. "I'd like to see you get as far as I have with your limited intelligence. You couldn't even turn on my computer without screwing that up. My work isn't like building a house. There were no blueprints to what I am doing. It's all based on theory, guesswork, and trial and error. Getting results takes time, months, sometimes years. What the hell would you know about hard work anyway?"

The doctor parked her car in the garage and got out. She didn't bother with her suitcase; that was Gerald's job. She was a little surprised to find no one in the living room waiting to greet her.

`The two lovebirds must be busy again,' she said to herself.

Well no matter. She would talk to them later when they were through. Just as the doctor was getting ready to head upstairs she heard a noise coming from the hallway - a low tapping sound. Dr. Jensen peeked around the corner and was surprised at what she saw. She reached into her purse and pressed a button on her box.

Chapter 2 -- Schedule of events

Gerald noticed the light on his security box indicating that the gate was opening up but he was too busy at the time to care. After all, the doctor didn't need him to greet her at the door. It wasn't like they were married. Then the warning buzzer went off, indicating there was trouble and the doctor needed help fast.

"Holy Crap," Gerald yelled as he struggled to put on his underwear and grab his gun at the same time. He ran out of the room leaving Jennifer alone in the bed wondering what was going on. Then it hit Al.

"Oh my God, its Tom. They found him." Al grabbed Jennifer's silk robe and followed Gerald out of the bedroom.

***

Tom was on his knees trying to pick the lock on the lab door when he first noticed it. It was that funny feeling you get when you know you were being watched. He looked up to see the doctor standing there in the hallway with a gun pointed right at his head.

"I suggest you stay right there and don't move," she warned him. "I'm a expert shot." About that time Gerald showed up behind her, his gun also drawn.

"Are you okay Dr. Jensen?"

"I'm fine Gerald. But it looks like we have a visitor." About that time Al arrived and Tom could see the panic on his pretty face.

The bodyguard looked at the intruder carefully for a moment before a light went off in his head. "You! I know you. You're the guy from the store who was hugging my girlfriend. What the hell are you doing here?"

"That's for me to know and you to find out," Tom replied back pleasantly.

"Oh, I can do THAT!" Gerald answered angrily. He took a step forward, his gun pointed directly at the intruder's head. Sarah stopped him.

"There is a better way Gerald. Since he wants to see what's inside my lab so badly, why don't we let him. Stand up you and step aside."

With two guns pointed at him, Tom did as he was told. Dr. Jensen unlocked the door while Gerald stood guard over him. After the door was opened, Gerald pushed him into a chair near the doctor's desk and strapped him down. The Doctor put her gun back in her purse and turned to face him.

"You're in a lot of trouble my friend. I suggest you tell me what you are doing here or else. We can do this my way or...the hard way." Sarah made a motion to Gerald who moved closer to Tom in a threatening manner.

"I'm looking for my friend," he told them calmly.

"I see," Sarah said, a little amused by his answer and calm demeanor. "And you think your friend is in this house. I can assure you he or she is not. But just to humor you, what's your friend's name?

"Al Parker," he replied back with a smile.

The doctor felt as if her body had been slammed into a brick wall. That was the last name she expected to hear. Al Parker had led her to believe he was a vagrant without any friends. But this man they'd caught wasn't a vagrant. In fact he was dressed like a regular person. So why would he be interested in a dirty, smelly, useless tramp unless...unless Al Parker really wasn't what he said he was? But that would mean he had been able to lie to her while under her control serum. Sarah looked over at Jennifer who was standing there fidgeting.

"What makes you think your friend is here?" she continued.

"Because this was the last place he was seen alive," Tom answered.

Gerald, who was furious about another break-in happening under his nose, asked the next question. "Who are you and what is this Al Parker's connection to you?"

"My name is Tom McClain. I run a detective agency in Seattle and Al Parker is my partner. A few months ago a man by the name of Klein Walker sent him on a mission to steal some information from you. I didn't find out about all this until recently. Once I started searching for him, I was able to track his movements here."

`At least if I fail Klein Walker will get his,' Tom thought.

`Detective agency!' Sarah was shocked at what she had just heard. All these months of believing her serum had worked without a hitch were shattered. Now she was finding out there were some very serious glitches with it. What else was wrong with her research?

"A PI you say," Gerald spoke angrily. "Well, you picked the wrong house to investigate my friend and I'm going to make sure you realize that."

Tom ignored the bodyguard's threats and focused his attention on the doctor who seemed to be having a hard time dealing with what he had just said.

"I need to know what happened to him Ms Jensen. I want to know if he's still alive. You have to tell me."

A small smile replaced the doctor's shocked look. She turned to a cabinet and started pulling out some stuff from it.

"I'll do better then that Mr. McClain, I'll show you exactly what I did to your friend. This Al Parker must really mean a lot to you, seeing that you would risk going to jail for him."

"Al was like a brother to me," Tom stated firmly. "I would give up my life to save his." He saw Al lower his pretty head in shame.

"Like brothers, uh?" Gerald grinned. "Soon you'll be more like sisters to each other." He let out a small chuckle but Dr. Jensen gave him a stern look that made him shut up. She mixed something into a glass and set it in front of him along with a loaded syringe.

"I'll give you a choice Mr. McClain. You can either drink what's in the glass or I can give you this shot. What's in the drink won't harm you; it's just a small sedative to help you relax. So which method do you prefer I use?"

"Just Tom, please Doctor and I hate needles so I'll make a deal with you. I'll drink what's in this cup without any complaints if you allow me to ask a few simple questions. Do we have a deal?"

"Of course Tom. Just as long as you understand that I reserve the right to refuse answering any question you may ask. Gerald, please remove the restraint from his right arm."

The bodyguard did as he was told. Tom picked up the glass and lifted it high in the air, as if toasting his host, before drinking it down. Once done, Gerald re-attached the restraint.

"That will be all Gerald," Sarah told him. "We'll talk about this later."

"Doctor, I don't think I should leave you alone with him," he protested.

"Nonsense. I have my security box in case I need you. Beside, you still need to get dressed," she said, pointing at his underwear. It was a good excuse to get him to leave because she didn't want him hanging around to hear what she was going to say next.

"Alright doctor, I'll be right outside if you need me." Gerald still wasn't convinced that leaving her alone was the right thing to do. After he was gone, Dr. Jensen sat down at her desk and lit a cigarette.

"Before we continue, I need to ask you something Tom. How much do you know about what's going on here?"

"Not much," the private investigator lied. "I know this is some kind of genetic research lab but I'm not clear about it's purpose. If I had to guess, I would say you are experimenting with human DNA to reproduce another human being, like cloning frogs or sheep."

"Close but I'm still years away from that. No, it's much more complicated than that Tom."

"I'm really not interested in what you're doing here doctor. All I want to know is where my friend is. Is Al Parker still alive?"

Sarah eyed her new test subject carefully as she took another long drag from her cigarette and blew the smoke into the air.

"He's alive. No real harm has been done to him. In fact, I would say he looks better now than before I first met him." She glanced over at Jennifer who was now staring at Tom -- panic and despair clearly in her eyes.

"No real harm, that's good to hear." Tom replied. `Right! All you did was change his gender and turn him into your slave you self-centered bitch'.

"Where is he doctor? I want to see him."

"You've been looking at him all along Tom," the doctor replied back with a cold, thin smile. "Only he no longer goes by the name of Al Parker, he now prefers the name of Jennifer Anderson."

Tom acted surprised even though he knew the truth before she had spoken it.

"Al? Al, is that really you?"

"I'm afraid he doesn't respond to that name anymore Tom. You see, it wouldn't look right for a pretty, young lady to respond to a man's name so we had to, for lack of a better term, block that from happening."

"Jennifer, is what the doctor telling me the truth?" The maid sadly nodded.

"As you can see Tom, she's very convincing. But it appears she was able to fool me on a number of things. I'll have to be more careful the next time."

"Let us go Doctor," Tom pleaded with her. "You've got what you wanted. I promise, if you let us go you'll never hear from us again."

The doctor looked at the private eye sharply. "If only it was that easy! Unfortunately I can't do that. Jennifer's ability to lie to me despite being told to tell the truth has raised questions about the effectiveness of my drug. So you see, I need her more now then I did before we met. And I also need you too Tom." The doctor stubbed out her cigarette and walked back over to the cabinet.

"What for doctor? You already have a maid and a girlfriend for your bodyguard. From what I can tell, your he seems pretty happy with the current arrangement you set up for him. Oh, now I see, you're lonely too." Tom's hands began to feel heavy from the effects of the drug.

"Don't flatter yourself Mr. McClain," Sarah Jensen snapped sarcastically back at him. "The last thing I need is a male gigolo messing up my life. No, I have other plans for you. Tell me Tom, do you prefer blondes, brunettes or redheads?"

"Why blondes of course doctor." Tom hesitated for moment then continued. "Blondes do have more fun." He watched his friend react to the last comment and shook his head slightly.

"Good!" the doctor replied. "I was supposed to perform a sex change next week and was told the new person needed to be a blonde. The donor's DNA I'm using is supposed to be very pretty."

"Is that what your research is all about doctor? Changing men into women? Sounds like a feminist thing to me."

Sarah sat back down at her desk and lit another cigarette.

"Oh, I don't mind telling you Tom. In a little while you won't be able to repeat to anyone what I'm about to say. You see...this procedure is just a by-product of the serum's real purpose. What I'm really trying to do is develop a drug that will re-generate the body cells again and again. Do you understand what that means?"

"Eternal youth," Tom replied.

"And eternal life," she added. "A person who takes this drug, maybe once a year, would look the same 1,000 years from now as he or she does today."

"But there's a problem, right doctor?"

"Yes," Dr. Jensen said with some annoyance. "The nervous system can't handle more then one treatment of my serum. And while I'm able to create healthy, working organs such as the heart, lungs, and kidneys -- they don't stay that way for very long. After a few weeks they simply give out."

"But if you've been able to work out the re-generation process, surely this problem wouldn't take too long to fix."

Tom couldn't move his legs. The drug was starting to paralyze parts of his body.

Sarah took another puff on her cigarette. "A year or two at the most. But unfortunately I have a boss who sees my project in a whole different light. You see, my drugs can be used both ways, to preserve life and to take it away. Just as it can re-generate a new, healthy organ, it can turn a healthy organ into a dead one. One drink and the correct code and its instant heart attack time. My boss refers to it as project Peace." She rolled her eyes while saying the project name.

"But if you can do that now why delay the..."

"Because Tom, he's a stubborn jackass," Sarah said before Tom had finished talking. "He wants to see the serum modified. He wants it to work over a period of time instead of instantly. He wants...who knows what he really wants. The point is I'm spending all my time on project Peace instead of what I really want to do. And I'm so damn close too."

"I must hand it to you doctor, your research has impressed me." Tom made a motion toward Jennifer.

"As I said Tom, she is only a by-product. But if you're impressed now, just wait until you see what I have planned for you. You see, my boss is not only a jackass, he's also a skirt chaser." She gave him a cold smile.

"I see. And you plan to," Tom flashed her a quick smile back, "enlist my help in getting him to see things your way." He could feel the drug's icy grip taking over his body.

"You're very clever Tom. I would use Jennifer but...well, lets just say Gerald has become very attached to her. But don't worry, I'll make sure he gives you a few lessons before your trip to Washington."

Tom tried to get out a reply but his lips froze in mid-sentence. The doctor stubbed out her cigarette and smiled smartly.

"I'm sorry I have to break my promise to you Tom, but there are a couple of shots I need to give you. However, I'll make it up to you. I will give you one last night as a man with Jennifer unrestricted. I couldn't allow that with Al Parker unfortunately but then, he wasn't the most pleasant person to deal with. You I actually like so it's a pity things have to end this way."

Dr. Jensen picked up a syringe from the table and walked over to where he was sitting.

"Jennifer, come here. I want you to see how this is done. You may need to do this one day."

"Yes doctor." Al answered obediently placing his hand in the pocket of the robe he was wearing. He positioned himself behind Dr. Jensen.

"Lets see, where is that...." The doctor never got to finish her sentence. Al grabbed her from behind and forced a handkerchief over her nose and month. The doctor struggled to get back to her desk where her security box lay but Al held on tightly and in the process both ladies fell to the floor. A moment later the doctor's body went limp. Tom prayed Gerald hadn't heard the struggle going on but then he didn't know the lab was soundproof.

"Tom, are you okay?" Al asked. All Tom could do was move his eyes.

"Don't worry, it should wear off soon and I'll be right here with you." Al grabbed his hand and held on to it tightly.

By the time the doctor came around, Tom was back to his normal self. She felt a prick on the back of her neck and reached her hand around to start rubbing it. That was when she noticed someone was standing over her. She looked up and saw Jennifer looking down at her with a smile on his face. "It's my turn now doctor."

***

Tom wouldn't let Al harm the doctor despite his vocal objections. "You'll get your pound of flesh, I promise Kiddo." The remark shut Al up for the moment and he turned his attention to the doctor.

"I want you to get me another vial of this control serum doctor." Sarah did as she was told, unable to do otherwise.

"Okay Jennifer. Here's what..."

"That's not my name Tom," Al yelled at him angrily. "My name is" there was a struggle on Al's face, "Jennifer Lynnette Anderson. Damn it, why can't I say my real name?"

"Okay Jenn... Al. Look, for right now let's use your female name. This isn't the time for me to get confused and ruin everything. We still have lover boy to deal with."

"Okay?" Al reluctantly agreed.

"Good. Now here's what I want you to do. Take this drug and...."

Chapter 3 -- Gerald's turn

Gerald waited impatiently in the living room for something to happen. "Damn Dr. Jensen and her independence!" he muttered to himself.

The bodyguard knew what was going on. He had figured it all out a long time ago. Dr. Jensen was devoting more time to her own research and had enlisted the aid of her friend, Susan Bennett, to finance it. Once he found out about the inheritance money Susan's daughter was supposed to receive, it doesn't take long to figure out what was going on. That and the fact Dr. Jensen's boss, Dennis Butz, had already talked to him several times about the lack of success she seemed to be having lately concerning project Peace.

Despite being assigned to assist the doctor in her research --she still insisted on doing things her way, without his help. Well this time he should be in there, protecting her. But what did she need to be protected from? The intruder was tied up and Jennifer was fully under her control. What danger was she really in?

No, that wasn't what was bothering him. What was really eating at him was the fact that Dr. Jensen had captured this intruder, not him. This time he had literally been caught with his pants down and once again Dr. Jensen had been there to not only see him fail, but had bailed him out. Damn, he should have realized something was up when Jennifer started paying that much attention to this man at the store. Instead he had been sucker into a false sense of security by her charms, which had made him fail to do his job properly.

That was why he had been given this assignment, because he was the best of the best in his class. Yet over the past few months he had failed to protect the project not once but several times. If it wasn't for dumb luck, his failures would have been exposed and he would be looking for a new job. Even now Dr. Jensen was in her lab questioning the intruder instead of letting him do his job. Gerald's ego was in need of a major stroking and there wasn't anyone around to do it. He heard the lab door close and the sound of footsteps coming towards him. It was Jennifer.

"Hi Tiger." Al said with a big smile. "How are you feeling?"

"Much better now that you showed up. Are you still naked underneath that robe?" He eyed her like a hungry cat watching a mouse. "You know, we really didn't get a chance to finish what we started. Maybe we can do that now." He reached out and pulled her down on top of him.

"Silly sex-starved boy, not with the doctor in the next room I can't. Besides, I only came out here to change. The doctor wants me back in the lab to help out. But while I'm here, let me fix you a drink."

"How is the doctor doing in there?" Gerald asked curiously. "Is she getting any answers out of him?"

"You mean `HER'!" Al giggled as he emphasized the word "her". "No, actually she hasn't asked `Her' anything. I think she intends to let you question `HER' when the time comes."

`Good!' thought Gerald. At least the doctor still trusted him to do his job.

"So what does Miss-what's-her-name look like?" Gerald asked in curiosity.

Al handed Gerald a drink. "Her new name is Cindy and she is one blonde knockout. In fact, I'm a little insecure about being around her. I'm afraid she may win your heart and then you'll lose interest in me."

"I don't think you have to worry about that...you're still good in the sack. Besides, I've always wanted two love mates at the same time." He smiled at the thought and downed his drink in one gulp.

"Oh, you have, have you. Well, maybe I can convince you to let me be your favorite. You know, the doctor is kind of busy right now." Al opened up the front of the robe revealing Jennifer's naked body to him. "See anything you like tiger?"

"Come here so I can get a closer look," he replied with a devilish grin on his face.

Gerald started kissing Al's perfumed neck as he lay down on top of him. He began to feel a little weak but pushed the thought away because he had more important things on his mind. By the time he realized what was going on it was too late. Al clamped his hand over his mouth so Gerald couldn't say anything. He mumbled out something, most likely Jennifer's keyword followed by a command, but Al was unable to make any real sense out of it. When Al was sure the bodyguard was fully paralyzed he lifted himself off him and tied the robe back on to cover Jennifer's body. Tom appeared next to Al.

"So you like blondes Gerald. I'll see what I can do with the doctor but be careful," Tom hesitated for a moment, "blondes do have more fun." Al's demeanor suddenly changed.

"I'm glad that's over," Al shouted. "I told you I was going to pay you back asshole. I told you I was going to GET EVEN WITH YOU. I TOLD YOU..."

Tom softly cut him off. "Al... that can wait. First things first." He handed him a cotton ball and a syringe. Al found the mark and injected it into Gerald. Now the only one left in the house not under the control of the serum was Tom.

There was an emotional release inside Al once this was done. The hell that he had been experiencing these past few months was finally over. Al looked at Tom with tear-filled eyes and in a shaky voice said, "I better get dressed now. I'll be right back."

It was the way he said it that concerned Tom. The tone of voice signaled great danger. While Al claimed that he was fine, the voice told a different story.

Tom waited until after Al left and turned to Gerald. "Zomlix! You will remain seated and not try to talk. You will never repeat your keyword or say Jennifer's keyword again. You will not try to harm Jennifer or me in anyway. You will remain calm and relaxed. Zomlix!" Gerald's eyes glazed over and then returned to normal. With that done Tom followed after Al.

Upon entering the bedroom he found Al lying face down on the bed crying. Tom felt so bad that he forgot about his own anger at the moment. Al would need a lot of love and understanding before he could continue on with a life as Jennifer. He sat down on the bed next to Al and gently touched him.

"Hey, it's okay Al. This nightmare is over now. Soon we'll be on a plane heading home. I already have our plane tickets to take us back to Seattle."

"I'm...I'm not going Tom." Al replied between sobs. "I don't want...want to go. I don't want to live...not like this. I can't live like this. I want you to command me not to move and then set the place on fire. Destroy this house and everyone in it so they can't do this again to someone else; so there won't be any more victims like Keith Bennett or me."

Tom grabbed Al by the arms and faced him. "Are you CRAZY Kiddo? Do you have ANY idea what it took to find you? Do you really think I spent all this time tracking you down so I could watch you die in some FIRE? WELL YOU'RE WRONG, I DIDN'T! We have a few scores to settle still and one of them is with Klein Walker."

"Then do it without ME!" Al cried out. "I can't go on. I don't want to go on. Let me DIE!"

"Listen to me Kiddo. You're going to make it, do you hear me. I need you buddy. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? I NEED YOU! All these months have been HELL on me too. Al, it's going to get better, I promise. I'm going to take care of everything."

"How?" Al sobbed.

"By starting with the good doctor and Gerald." It was time to execute the second part of his plan.

Chapter 4 --In and out

While Al got dressed Tom went back to the lab to talk with Dr. Jensen. She was still sitting in her chair as he had told her to do.

"Okay doctor. Trijola! I'm going to ask you some questions and I want you to answer me truthfully. I do not want you talking unnecessary or asking me any questions. You will only answer my questions with truthful answers. You will also remain calm while answering me. Trijola! Now, can you change Jennifer back into Al Parker?"

"Yes. But if I did she would die," the doctor replied back calmly.

"Isn't there anything you can do?"

The doctor shook her head. "No. Once the process is done it's permanent. Even if I had his DNA sample, which I don't, the process of returning Jennifer back to her old male self would result in death. Her nervous system couldn't handle the stress a second time."

"I see." Tom rubbed his chin. That idea was no good, time for plan B. "How young can you transform an adult person into a child and still have it be safe?

"Perhaps as young as two but to be safe I wouldn't make an adult person any younger than three years old. The DNA sample would have to be that of a normal size three year old, otherwise there would be problems with organs and skin restructuring."

"Okay, then let's start looking in your files for a normal, three year old child. A blonde, three year old female child Dr. Jensen."

The doctor went over to her filing cabinet and in a few minutes had pulled out half a dozen folders. Tom looked through them and gave her the one he thought was the best.

"Now, lets start working on the physical side of this process. I need one for this child," he handed her the sample from the file, "and another for this one." Tom handed her a file from the top drawer of her desk.

"That subject is a part of project Phoenix," Sarah replied.

"What's project "Phoenix?" Tom asked curiously.

"It's a project to transfer one persons memory's into another persons mind. If successful, it will allow you to change the recipients body and memory's to match that of the donor's." Tom was stunned.

"Do you mean you can replace a persons memories with someone else's? Why didn't you just give Jennifer an entire new set of memories? Why only recreate the body but not her mind?"

"I'm not that far along with the project," the doctor answered. "At best I can only transfer about 5% of a person's memory and even then most of the real old memory's wouldn't be there. I also needed tissue samples from a certain part of the brain -- which wasn't available in her case. The only thing Jennifer received from the original DNA donor was what we call her learning process. Since the real Jennifer Anderson had done the same thing so many times it was a part of her body function."

"Like brushing your hair or walking a certain way," said Tom. "So that was how you were able to control Al like you did. You made her learning traits the dominant features in her behavior. Al couldn't have acted any other way."

"That's correct," Sarah confirmed.

"Okay, let me get this straight. With a sample of memory brain tissue you can transfer a person's memories, at least the most recent history, into another person's mind?"

"Yes -- but that wouldn't have worked on Jennifer. The real Jennifer Anderson died some months before. Her brain cells are dead and totally useless now. This sample has to come from living brain cells with the same DNA as the body DNA. In other words, you can't mix the two. The memory DNA and body DNA has to come from the same person. Using two different DNA's, one for the memories and one for the body, would kill the subject. The exception to this mixing process is when you change a person's body DNA without changing the memory. There are no side effects that I know of."

"That you know of doctor?" Tom responded sarcastically. "How comforting to hear you say that." He paused for a moment. "Alright then, is there any way to remove Al's memories from Jennifer's mind?"

"Death is the only way," the doctor answered matter of factly --too matter of factly for Tom's taste.

"Death is not an option here doctor." He noticed she seemed to have something else she wanted to say.

"Okay doctor, I hear you. Trijola! You will speak as your true self. You will remain calm while talking to me and will not try to leave the room. Trijola!"

"Tom," Dr. Jensen started off. "I really didn't want to hurt you. I could tell you were a man who knew how to get things done --not like my overly muscular bodyguard who doesn't have a clue. Look, I know we got started off on the wrong foot but you have a place here."

"As a blonde knockout to please your brain-dead bodyguard? No thanks doctor."

"Of course not Tom. Look, I had to do what I did because of Gerald. If you had come to me in person, without getting him involved, we could have worked something out. But by doing it the way you did, you forced my hand. I had no choice but to control your movements and change you."

"But now you do have a choice, right doctor?" Tom asked doubtfully.

"Yes. You have proven your worth to me. You have shown me that you can think things out, something Gerald lacks. I could insist to my boss that you replace Gerald and he would go for it. Or I could change your body so you would look like Gerald! Think of it, you would have his body and all his privileges but still be you. And I would give you complete control over your body, I promise."

"But there is more." she added. "I'm offering you a chance to live forever as a young man. With my research and your help we could make this project a success. Think of it, we could repair millions of broken bodies. No one would have to suffer with pain or illnesses any more. We could bring happiness to the entire world. Total peace. Think about what we could do together."

Tom was thinking. Did he have the right to let the doctor die when she could do so much good to mankind? Was he throwing away paradise for the entire human race? Was he committing a crime against the entire world?

"TRIJOLA! You will STOP talking and ONLY answer questions WHEN ASKED! You will not talk to Tom about this again. TRIJOLA!" Tom turned to Al who was standing in the doorway glaring at him angrily.

"ARE YOU GETTING STUPID OR WHAT? Don't LISTEN to her, LOOK AT ME! THIS IS THE PEACE SHE IS TALKING ABOUT! ONE QUEEN BEE SITTING ON HER THRONE while the rest of the world SERVES HER! She isn't out to SAVE the world Tom -- she's out to enslave it, like she enslaved me. This is HER PEACE TOM! I'M THE FUTURE SHE'S TALKING ABOUT!"

The truth hit Tom like a ton of bricks. Al was right. The doctor wasn't doing this research to help others -- it was for more selfish reasons.

"Thank you Al, I see your point. We're almost done in here, how is lover boy doing?"

"Oh, he's almost ready," he replied with a slight smile.

Chapter 5 - Bar room blitz

Dr. Jensen drove off in her car followed closely by Tom in his vehicle. Al and Gerald stayed at the house to wait until it was time for them to show up. Tom had to caution Al several times not to do anything to Gerald while they were alone. Still, as he left to follow Dr. Jensen to their next stop, he worried if he had done the right thing.

Dr. Jensen fought for control over her body but after a few minutes realized it was futile. She then changed tactics and thought about how the serum worked. An idea popped into her mind and she realized there was still a chance to work herself free, providing she had the time. Unfortunately, time was something Sarah figured she didn't have much of. She was positive Jennifer didn't plan to let her live much longer.

Pulling up to the `Joe's Bar and Grill', the doctor knew what she had to do. Once inside she ordered a drink and quickly gulped it down. No sooner had she put the glass back on the counter than she ordered another and downed that one as well. The bartender raised his eyebrows. If the doctor kept this up she would be unable to drive herself home.

Tom walked into the bar and took a seat in the corner where he could keep on eye on both the doctor and the clock. He observed her put away another drink but wasn't to concerned because it was part of his plan. He didn't know that it fit into Sarah's plan too. By the time Gerald and Al arrived, the doctor had just finished off her tenth drink and was definitely under the influence.

The bartender made eye contact with Gerald and motioned him over. He whispered something to Gerald who nodded his head in agreement. After they were finished talking, the bodyguard walked over to where the doctor was sitting.

"Come on Dr. Jensen, I think you've had enough. Let me drive you home."

"You can take me home but I'M DRIVING," she told him in a slurred voice.

Dr. Jensen grabbed her purse and staggered out the door followed closely by Gerald who was making sure she didn't fall over. Jennifer stopped long enough to tell the bartender they would be back later on to pick up Gerald's car. Tom waited five minutes after they left before getting up and also leaving. He drove his car to the designated spot located half a mile away on a deserted side road. Gerald and Jennifer were already out of the car waiting for him.

"Get Gerald in my car," Tom told Al. He looked over at Sarah Jensen painfully. "I want to say something to the doctor before we go. Leave us alone for a minute, will you?"

"Sure Tom, just don't get any ideas. I owe her. Come with me Gerald." The ex-bodyguard followed Al back to car like a faithful puppy dog. Tom stared at the doctor knowing what was going to happen and hating every moment of it.

"I want you to know doctor...I'm very sorry about this. I really wish it could have ended in a different way. Please forgive me."

The doctor didn't say anything. Instead she gave him a quick smile as if to say `I understand'. Al appeared behind him with her purse and Gerald's wallet.

"I'll take it from here Tom. Why don't you go back to the car and wait with Gerald." Al was concerned that Tom might change his mind and spare the doctor's life. He really didn't have the guts to kill someone; not that Al Parker did either but that was before Dr. Jensen had put Al through this hell. Al had suffered too much from this mad doctor's nightmare experiment to let anyone stop him from getting his revenge. It was Dr. Jensen who had abandoned him to Gerald's perverted sexual fantasies without even a second thought so why should Al care how she felt. Tonight was payback for everything Sarah Jensen had put him through.

After throwing Gerald's wallet into the front seat, Al pulled out a pint of blood taken out of Gerald's arm. He proceeded to pour the blood all over the front seat and dashboard. Next Al did the same thing to the back seat with a pint of Jennifer's blood. Once that was done, Al walked around the car rolling down all the windows.

"You won't need to wear these where you're going," Al taunted the doctor as he unbuckled her seatbelt. "Now, listen to my directions carefully. I want you to drive to lookout point..."

***

Tom watched the car make a U-turn and drive off in a hurry. It would be the last time anyone would see Dr. Jensen alive again. Al got into the passenger side of the car. He turned to smile at Gerald and said, "Are you ready Tiger? Then let's begin. Zomlix..."

***

Dr. Jensen didn't have much time. The serum wasn't permanently attached to her DNA yet and the large amount of alcohol she consumed had weakened its effects. She concentrated on gaining control of her hands to shut off the car while her foot pushed down hard on the accelerator and the car leaped forward. She was less than a mile from a hairpin curve where her car was to have a most spectacular ending. At the curve there was a deep embankment with a river at the bottom. The speedometer reached 60, then 70, and then hit 80. She could see the guardrail ahead that protected the curve. At that speed the car would burst right through it. Her hand began to move but very slowly.

Sarah Jensen knew she had seconds to live. Turning off the key wouldn't stop the car in time and she was going too fast to make the corner. Her hand reached down and pulled on the door handle.
The car door opened up and Dr. Jensen started to fall out of the car just as it struck the guardrail. She felt her body being thrown through the air and then everything went black.

***

"Zomlix! Body and hair... Zomlix!" Tom stared into the rearview mirror in pure amazement. Watching Gerald's body change was shocking. Everything about the process looked so unreal. He glanced over at Al who was smiling and enjoying the moment. Months of pain, anger, and frustration caused by Gerald were starting to work their way out. But the best was still to come.

Chapter 6 -- Investigation

Utah law required that the Highway Patrol investigate every accident on a state highway that had a fatality. Normally Kevin wouldn't have been called to an accident so far away but the local patrols were already busy with two other crashes and the local police had asked for his help. It took Kevin almost 30 minutes to drive to the crash site. When he arrived, two deputy sheriff officers greeted the trooper.

"Hi Kevin. I'm surprised to see you out here. You must have had some drive."

"Hi Bob. Dave." He shook both officers' hands. "The local patrols were backed up so they called me. What have you got?"

"So far one female, who we believe is the driver," Bob started off. "She was ejected from the vehicle and landed over there." The deputy shined his flashlight at the place where she had been found. "She's at the hospital now but I doubt if she will last the night. Her name was Sarah A. Jensen. She lives in the area."

The deputy was interrupted by the tow truck driver, who asked if it was all right to start pulling the car up the hill. Bob gave him the okay and the three officers walked over to the embankment to get a better look of the recovery process. Even from the roadside Kevin could see that the car was a mess.

"We think she had two passengers in the vehicle with her. I've sent volunteers down the river to search for them but so far they haven't found anything."

"What makes you think that there were two other people in the car Bob?" Kevin asked.

"We found a purse and wallet outside the vehicle that don't belong to the victim. Dave, you got those driver's licenses on you still?"

"Yea, right here Bob." The other deputy sheriff pulled them out of his pocket. "The two people missing are a Miss Jennifer Anderson and a Mr. Gerald Rogers." Kevin's head turned sharply when he heard the names.

"You okay Kevin?" Bob asked.

"Yea...I'm fine. It's just that I pulled them over not to long ago for speeding. I let him go with a warning."

"Too bad they didn't get the message. We estimate the car was doing at least 80 mph when it hit the guardrail. To top it off, the lady we sent to the hospital had been drinking heavily. I'll bet you a week's salary that she's at least twice over the limit," Dave stated in disgust.

"Eighty miles per hour and stinking drunk. This would be a great Driver's Ed movie if we had all the bodies," Bob added.

"Where do you think the other bodies are?" Kevin inquired.

"We think they were thrown into the river," Bob explained. "The car flipped end over end a couple of times and then spun sideways before landing partially in the water. We found a shoe inside the car and another near the river. One of them was a man's shoe and the others belonged to a female however -- they were too small to belong to the woman we sent to the hospital. Most likely the shoes came off their feet while they were being ejected from the car."

"And there's also a lot of blood on the passenger side and back seat, as well as on the dash and doors," Dave added. "It looks like they got tossed around pretty good before being thrown out. Here, take a look."

He pointed his flashlight inside the car that the tow truck driver had just pulled up. There was blood everywhere inside except on the driver's side.

"Looks like the driver was thrown out before it started flipping," Kevin observed.

"Yea, we think so too. Oh, we found this on the woman driver." Bob handed Kevin a book of matches.

"It's from a local bar not too far from here. I already had Dave ask the local police to check it out. Mr. Roger's car is parked outside the place. The bartender didn't see them get into the car with Ms. Jensen but Miss Anderson did say they were leaving Mr. Roger's car behind and would be back later to pick it up. I guess they decided to take a drive and get some air." Bob pointed to the windows that were rolled down.

"Stupid people," Dave added. "The bartender said that Mr. Rogers and Miss Anderson weren't impaired in any way but they let the one person who was drunk drive for them. Just plain stupid."

Something bothered Kevin about the Dave's statement. Except for being a bigot, which was it's own form of stupidity, Mr. Rogers didn't seem like an idiot. For him to get into a car being driven by a drunk driver and leave his brand new car behind didn't make sense. Surely he would have insisted on driving the doctor home himself.

"Where is this bar Bob?" Kevin asked. "After we clear up this mess I want to talk to the bartender myself."

***

"Thank goodness for 24 hour stores," Tom said to Al. Gerald needed some new clothes since his old ones were now too big and the wrong style.

"Wait here with Gerald, I'll be back in a bit." Al got out of the car and walked into the store. It was close to Easter and the store still had a great selection of outfits to choose from.

***

"I'm Officer Brown from the State Highway Patrol. I'm investigating a road accident and I would like to ask you a few questions if this is a good time."

"Sure officer," the bartender said while he continued to clean a glass. "My name is Jimmy Boyd. I heard about the Doc, Gerald and Jennifer being killed. What a tragedy but I did warn him."

"What do you mean?" Kevin asked.

"Well, Miss Jensen came in and started drinking down one Mind Twister after another. That's our specialty drink here, I created it myself," Jimmy added proudly. He waited for the officer to finish up his notes before continuing.

"Anyway, about 30 minutes later her friend, Gerald, and his girlfriend, Jennifer, walked into my bar. By this time the doctor was, a term I like to use -- completely shit-faced, and was in no condition to drive. So I called Gerald over and told him someone needed to take her home. I offered to call a cab but he told me he would take care of it himself. The three of them left and that was the last time I saw them."

"Did you happen to see which one was driving the car when they left?"

"No, I'm sorry officer. I just assumed it would be Gerald but I didn't actually see him get behind the wheel of the car. It was kind of funny in a way. I've never seen the doctor drink so much in all my life. It was almost as if she was trying to get drunk as quickly as she could."

Kevin thought the bartender's last statement over for a moment before asking another question. "Did anyone else leave with them?"

"No not really. There was a stranger wearing a Seahawks cap that came in shortly after she did. Come to think of it, he left a few minutes after they did. But he wasn't with them; he sat over there in the corner. First time I've seen him in here before."

Bells starting going off in Kevin's head. Tom was wearing a Seattle Seahawks cap when they last met. "Can you tell me what this man looked like?"

The bartender gave Kevin a pretty good description of someone who looked a lot like Tom. The patrolman pulled out a picture from his wallet. "Is this the man?"

"Yea, that sure looks like him. Is he a friend of yours?"

"Sort of. Thanks for your help Mr. Boyd. I'll let you know if I need anything else from you." Kevin went outside and sat down in his patrol car. He gripped the wheel hard, part out of anger and part out of fear about what his instincts were telling him.

"Damn it Tom, what did you just do?" He hated to think this could be a case of another good ex-cop gone bad. Tom was his friend and now a suspect in a... what? A possible murder case? That was for Kevin to figure out. He called his patrol office to tell them he was clear and headed back to his district.

Chapter 7 -- New plans, old plans

"It took you long enough," Tom said to Al. Even though it was in the middle of the night, the parking lot was well lit, and Gerald was dressed in a way that was sure to have raised suspicions if anyone had seen him. The last thing they needed was to try and explain the situation to the police.

"Get used to it Tom! Besides, I wasn't sure on the size and I had to get some assessors. Now lets get moving." Al got into the back seat and pulled out an outfit from one of the big bags he had.

"What do you think Tiger?" Gerald's eyes went wide with horror.

***

The phone rang very early in the morning at the Butz's residence. Dennis was an early riser but even 3am was a little too early for him. He fumbled around for the phone in the dark and picked it up.

"This had better be good...WHAT?"

The lady on the other end explained that she was a dispatcher for the Sheriff's department and that a friend of his had been involved in a serious automobile accident. When the investigating officer had checked her purse he found this number, informing them to call in case of an emergency.

"How bad is she?" Dennis asked. "I see. Yes, thank you officer." He wrote down the name of the hospital where she had been taken. "Yes, I'll be on the next plane to Salt Lake tonight...eh, this morning. Thank you again officer. Have a good night."

He hung up the phone and sat upright in his bed. Today was going to be a very long day. His wife asked him what was wrong to which he replied it was government business. That was enough to please her and let her know that he couldn't talk about it.

Dennis Butz put on his robe and made his way downstairs to his office. He unlocked the safe and pulled out his personal phone book. Once he found the name he was looking for he picked up the phone and dialed. A sleepy voice answered on the other end.

"Doctor, this is Dennis. We have a code black in Salt Lake City. I repeat, a CODE BLACK! I need you to get on a plane and fly out there. I am going to activate project Phoenix as of right now. Yea, I know. Look, don't argue with me, just DO IT. I'll work out the other details here...Yes I have a person in mind. Just get me what I need and don't create any suspicions. Say an old family friend asked you to check on her, okay? Right! I'll have a plane waiting for you, be on it within the hour. From what I've been told we don't have much time. Give me a call when it's done. Bye."

Dennis hung up the phone and took in the gravity of the situation. If Sarah Jensen died before his person got there, project Peace would die with her. He picked up the phone to make sure the private jet would be waiting for the doctor when he got to the Denver airport. Then he went back upstairs to get dressed.

***

They walked through the terminal quickly. To everyone in the building the three of them appeared as a normal couple. An older male, his younger and pretty wife, and the cutest three-year-old anyone had ever seen. She was wearing the frilliest dress that Al had been able to find and was clutching tightly onto a doll in one hand while holding on to her mother's hand with the other. Many of the people in the airport stopped and commented to each other on what a pretty little girl she was. They didn't realize inside this cute, little girl was actually a full-grown adult male by the name of Gerald Rogers.

At the check-in counter the blonde attendant took their names and bent down to talk to the little girl who had caught her eye. "My, don't you look pretty tonight princess. Would you like a sweet?" The little girl shook her head shyly causing the attendant to laugh.

"She's so cute in that outfit."

"It's her Easter outfit," Al explained. "She wore it to a wedding and gave me such a fit about taking it off that I decided to let her wear it home." She patted Gerald on the back, who moved closer and hid his face in Al's blue jeans.

"Such a shy thing," the attendant chuckled. "What's her name?"

"Tracy." Al answered half-smiling.

***

The first chance Kevin got he placed a long distance call to Tom residence but there was no answer. Kevin knew there were dozens of other places Tom could be besides Salt Lake City, but he would have felt better if the private eye had answered the phone. Checking on a hunch, he called the airport to check on the flights out of Salt Lake to Seattle. There was one that had left about a half-hour earlier. The attendant checked the passenger list for the officer and sure enough Tom's name was on it.

Unable to rule him out, Kevin left a message with the crash investigator to have Dr. Jensen's car checked in the morning, especially around the rear bumper. He had a sinking feeling in his stomach. Maybe these people didn't crash on their own. Maybe someone helped them.

Chapter 8 -- Homecoming

The flight from Salt Lake City was completely uneventful. At that time of the night most of the lights inside the plane where turned off so the passengers could sleep. Despite sitting in the dark, Tom stayed awake and thought about the upcoming events. There was so much left to do.

He looked over at Al who had managed to fall into a fitful sleep. He wasn't out of the woods yet. Turning Gerald into Tracy had bought him time, but it wasn't the solution to saving Al's life. If he didn't get him help soon Al would kill himself. His friend needed to accept what had happened, that he was now permanently Jennifer Anderson and could never be Al Parker again. Tom wasn't sure how to accomplish this task but he did realize two things. First, it would take more than one person to get Al to accept himself as Jennifer and two; he was way over his head on this one. What he needed was to find someone who could help. He had an idea on who that someone might be. When they landed Tom loaded everyone into his car and drove to a nearby hotel.

"We're not going home?" Al asked in a surprised voice.

"Not right now Kiddo, I'm beat. In fact we're all beat. Lets get some sleep first." Tom's real reason for going to a hotel was so Al wouldn't be around any sharp objects. He deemed it too risky until Al got some real help.

He could have ordered Al not to harm himself and he did consider doing just that. Doing so would have put his mind at ease and it made good sense but he also knew that this would be a fatal mistake. If he did issue an order, even for Al's own good, the results would be disastrous. Al would start comparing him to Dr. Jensen or Gerald and ruin any chance of him gaining his trust. What Al needed was someone he could trust to protect him while at the same time not feeling that they were trying to take advantage of the situation.

Tom got a room with two queen size beds. He set Tracy on the couch and covered her up with a blanket. She looked so peaceful sleeping just like an angel. He wondered what kind of dreams Gerald would be having.

"Take that bed Kiddo," Tom said, pointing to the one farthest from the outside door.

Al nodded and went into the bathroom to remove his clothes. A moment later he came out wearing only a pair of panties and the T-shirt he had worn on the plane. Al lay down on the bed and turned off the light. Tom stripped down to his underwear and got in the other bed. Then he waited and it didn't take long.

For the first few minutes Al tossed and turned in the bed. Then he heard Al sniffing as he tried to hold back the tears. Finally he got up and walked over to Tom's bed.

"Tom?" Al said in a tearful voice.

"It's okay Kiddo, I understand. Get in." Al lay down next to him and buried his face deep into his chest. Tom's T-shirt became wet as the floodgates opened up again.

"I don't want to be alone...not tonight...not ever. Please hold me, please don't let go of me," Al wept.

"I won't Kiddo. It's okay now." He wrapped his arms around Al and gave him a re-assuring hug, while fighting off his own desires within. Al may have been like a brother to him but he certainly didn't feel like one now. Tom tried to think of other things as he held on to him tightly. Al felt so soft and warm lying there against him.

He thought about telling Al in a joking way that he needed a cold shower but quickly changed his mind. Al didn't need to hear comments like that. What his friend needed to hear was that someone cared for him as a human being, not as some sex object. Tom did care for him of course and was overjoyed to have Al back again. But he was also a normal, heterosexual male and well; Al was now in the shape of a warm, attractive female and that made things a little difficult for Tom.

"You can sleep here tonight," he told Al. "I'll hold on to you and won't let go Kiddo. You're safe here, I promise. I won't let anything happen to you again." He pushed away his own thoughts for a moment and tried to concentrate on what was really important here.

"Tom, I need to do something for me."

"Sure Kiddo, anything. What is it?"

"I want to call home. I need to talk to my parents."

"Kiddo, your parents are dead, just like mine. Don't you remember?"

"I know that Tom," Al sniffed. "I mean Jennifer's parents. Ever since this...this happened to me I've had a desire to call them. I guess it was part of the learned responses I inherited. Whenever Jennifer was out someplace she must have called home to tell them she was safe. It's been driving me nuts and of course Dr. Jensen wouldn't let me call them. Now that I'm free I can make that call, to let them know she's safe. But I don't know where to find them."

"I don't either Kiddo," Tom lied. "But I'll get you the information. Now, get some sleep, we have a big day ahead of us." Al was exhausted and five minutes later he was sound snoring softly in his arms.

Tom wondered how he was going to pull off this request. Well he would figure that out later. First there was a lady they needed to see in the morning, maybe two women if things worked out. Al moved slightly and Tom felt his soft warm body pressing against his. He really did need that cold shower.

***

"I'm Dr. Schnegg. I'm here to see a patient by the name of Sarah Jensen. She was brought in a few hours ago."

Troy Harper had been told to expect a specialist in the Jensen case. He wondered whom this Miss Jensen was that would cause a high price doctor to fly out in the middle of the night to check on her.

"We've been expecting you Dr. Schnegg. I'm Dr. Harper." Troy held out his hand for the other doctor to shake it. "I've been taking care of her just as you requested. I'm afraid there isn't much hope Doctor. Her brain was severely damaged in the crash and even with the life support systems we have her on she won't last more than a couple of hours. I've already had to resuscitate her twice. Clinically she's brain dead and there's no hope I'm afraid."

Dr. Schnegg looked at the chart and smiled at his colleague. "You've done well Dr. Harper. Now if you will allow me, I need to examine her myself in private. It was her request that I do this you see." He handed him a legal document that Dr. Harper quickly scanned over.

"Of course Dr. Schnegg. Everything seems to be in order." Dr. Harper handed the legal paper back to him. "You will find her in room 311."

Dr. Schnegg took the paper back and thanked him for all his help. He walked into the room with his bag and closed the door behind him. Ten minutes later he re-appeared.

"Terrible blow," he stated. "I see no reason to let her suffer anymore, do you Dr. Harper?"

"None Dr. Schnegg." Troy felt good about being asked. Even though Dr. Schnegg was now legally in charge of his former patient he still had the decency to ask him for his opinion. This doctor had real class.

"I agree Dr. Harper. If it's okay with you, I would like to remove some of the life-support systems, at least the ones that will allow nature to take it's course without causing her to suffer any more."

"I think that's the humane way to handle this situation Dr. Schnegg. I'll get a nurse to help you."

"Thank you Dr. Harper," Dr. Schnegg replied. "These moments are never easy to handle alone."

***

"Well, did you find anything?" Kevin had waited almost two hours past his shift to see what Pat Knight could find.

"Nothing conclusive Kevin, the car is a mess. It does appear that the auto was kept in good shape before the accident, no rust spots anyway. The back bumper was messed up pretty badly but I did find some dents that may not have been caused by the accident."

"Could that have been caused by a..." Pat answered the question before he finished.

"I'm sorry Kevin, but that's impossible to tell for sure. The bumper is pretty well twisted and any evidence wouldn't stand up in court. If you want my expert opinion, this dent right here was caused by another car." He pointed to the small dent on the driver's side of the bumper.

"However, when that dent happened is anyone's guess. It could have been last night at the crash site or last year in a parking lot. There isn't anyway for me to tell."

"Okay, thanks Pat. I have an idea on when it happened."

Kevin walked out to car, his mind still on the accident. Under normal circumstances he would have written this crash off as the result of a drunk driver who was speeding and missed the curve. But he knew things that troubled him and while Pat's report didn't prove anything, it didn't disprove anything either. Because of the speed involved and knowing Tom had been interested in at least two of the three people involved in the crash; it was equally probable that someone had been chasing the car and forced it off the road. But could that someone have been Tom?

Just as he was just getting ready to leave, his supervisor came out to give him the news; Sarah Jensen had died less than half an hour earlier. He told Kevin to go home and get some rest first. He would pull the report and place it in his mailbox to fix when he got back in tonight.

Kevin drove home in a foul mood. Now there were three people who were dead, or so he thought. It was up to him to determine if it was really an accident or murder.

Chapter 9 -- Pain, anger and tears

After Tom dropped Tracy off at the baby-sitter's house he drove Al to their next appointment.

"Where are we going Tom?" Al inquired

"To see someone." Al gave his a puzzling look but he said, "Trust me on this Kiddo."

A few minutes later they pulled up in front of a worn out building that was located in a poor part of Seattle. The sign on the outside indicated it was a woman's shelter.

"Why are you bringing me HERE?" Al demanded to know.

"Because you need to be here Kiddo. You need to talk about what happened, to help you heal."

"That's BULLSHIT TOM!" Al shouted out. "Once we take care of Klein Walker then I will be HEALED. I'm past accepting who I am. I'm...happy now. All I needed was to be was free of their control, to be myself. Now I can live again, even if it is as Jennifer Anderson."

Tom saw through the smoke screen. Al was closer to taking his own life now than when he had first found him as Jennifer. True, they still had a score to settle with Klein Walker but once that was over so would his desire to stay alive.

"Look, trust me on this Kiddo. If it doesn't work out then fine, you don't have to come back. But do it for me."

Al became angry and turned away so he wouldn't have to face Tom. "You're treating me as a woman TOM. I'm not a WOMAN! I'm not like any of these women who need to be here. I don't need to talk all this out like they do. I'm still a MAN INSIDE! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT? I can HANDLE it MYSELF! Stop treating me like a woman who has been abused."

Tom swung him around and looked deeply into his eyes. Al was biting his lip and trying not to cry. "I'm not Kiddo, I swear I'm not. I'm treating you like a person who has been through HELL. If you like we can find a male counselor to talk to you. But personally, I think you'll feel more comfortable with someone who knows how it feels - who knows what that HELL IS LIKE. I can listen to you buddy but I can't help you, I don't know how. THEY CAN! Please, do this for me."

Al wiped the tears from his eyes and put on a brave front. "Okay, I'll go in but if I don't like what's going on, if it doesn't help me out, then I'm leaving. Is that clear?"

"That's all I am asking you to do Kiddo. If this doesn't help we will leave together. Come on, Redina is waiting for us."

***

Redina Wolfe was a 26-year-old black woman who had been raped by two white men on her way home from a store 10 years earlier. While most of the black community was in an uproar about what they considered to be a racial attack, Redina knew better. Rape wasn't about color any more than it was about making love to someone. It was a crime that involved one person having the power to do something over another person.

Rape didn't have any bounds and it affected everyone regardless of their race, religion or gender. One of the hardest things for Redina to deal with wasn't with the women who had been raped - it was their men. Most felt like they had failed to protect their loved ones despite not even being in the location where the rape took place. Not only did they feel guilty about what happened, most wouldn't even admit how they felt or talk about it. Unlike the women Susan saw, their nightmare would continue until they faced the truth or left the relationship. At least the women she dealt with learned to cope with what happened to them and not let it ruin their life.

The police picked up the two men who had raped her a few days later. At the trial their lawyer had done his best to discredit Redina but she held firm. In the end, the two men were convicted and sent to jail for three years. Prior to the trial, Redina`s mother had seen some disturbing changes in her daughter's personality. Determined not to let this event ruin her daughter's life, her mother had brought Redina to this same shelter and that day had changed her life forever.

Before she had been a self-centered, 16-year-old who didn't care about anyone else besides herself or her friends. But after talking to the shelter's counselor, Redina started reaching out to help others. When she turned 18, she started counseling other women who came in and found her niche in life. After a few years, she was running the shelter and it was rare for her to take a day off. Tom's friend on the police force had told him that Redina was the best counselor around. She would need to be.

While Al sat down in a chair Tom went up and told the volunteer receptionist whom they were there to see. Moments later a dark skinned woman appeared next to the Tom. The older woman glanced over at Jennifer and realized she was looking at a train wreck. The young woman's hair was unkempt, her face was free of makeup, her eyes where bloodshot from crying and her clothes were unkempt. Clearly this woman wasn't concerned about how she looked and she looked like hell.

"Mrs. Wolfe, before you talk to my friend, I'd like to speak with you first. I think there is something you need to know before you can begin."

"Very well." She gave the younger woman a smile. "I'll be right with you Jennifer." She led Tom back into her office and closed the door.

"So, what do you need to tell me Mr. McClain?"

"What I am about to say you may find hard to believe but please, trust me, it's all true. However, you can't repeat this to anyone otherwise her life and mine would be in grave danger."

"Mr. McClain, I can assure you that I will keep anything you or Jennifer tell me in confidence. And believe me, I've heard some pretty wild stories since I've been here."

"Not like this Mrs. Wolfe." Tom started out by telling her how his friend had been caught and turned into Jennifer Anderson.

***

Dennis Butz stared at the man through the one-way mirror and carefully considered his next move. The man's name was Robert White and he was a cold-blooded murderer. In a short but terrifying six-month period he had managed to rape and kill three young women and was suspected of at least four other rape/murders. The problem for the prosecutor had been there wasn't enough evidence to convict Robert White in the last four cases. It really didn't matter -- the first three murders had been enough to have Mr. White sentenced to death.

Since the trial Robert White had been fighting that sentence with all his might. Dennis knew the murderer was scared to die, even though he wasn't afraid to kill others. But this scumbag would die eventually, even if it took a few more years. That was what he planned to play on. Dennis motioned to the guard to let him into the room and took a seat across from the convicted murderer.

"Who in the hell are you and what do you want?" Robert White demanded to know. "If you're a cop or reporter I ain't answering no questions."

"Me?" Dennis started out. "I'm your best friend. I'm the one who is going to pull your ass out of the fire. My name is Dennis Butz. For now let's just say I work for the government."

Robert let out a brave, arrogant laugh. "Is that so Mr. BUTTs! Well now, how do you plan to "pull my ass" out of this mess if I may ask?" Dennis ignored the insult for now, his revenge would come later.

"It's Butz, not Butt's. And it's Mr. Butz to you, Robert, unless you want to rot in your cell until the time comes for them to strap you down. Now, are you interested in getting out of here today or not?"

The words sparked Robert's interest. He was being offered a way out of this hellhole? "Okay MR. BUTZ, I'm listening. What do you want and how does it get me out of here?"

"It's like this Robert. I need you to take the place of an employee of mine who was killed last night in a car crash. This doctor was working on a top-secret project that had some pretty high funding. You're the perfect height and weight to take this person's place." Dennis didn't mention that his employee had been female.

"Me, take his place? I don't know anything about doing research! And if it's that important a project I doubt if I would be much help."

"Someone else would do the research for you Robert." `That isn't too far from the truth,' Dennis thought. "All you have to do is allow us to alter your appearance so you will look like this dead researcher. I'll take care of the rest."

"How do I know this guy isn't some ugly son of a bitch? Show me his picture so I can see what this dead doctor looked like," he demanded in a defiant tone.

Dennis Butz slammed his hands on the table in anger. "There are NO pictures Mr. White. I'm offering you a chance to get out of here...TODAY! If you want to jerk me around then I will find someone else. There are three other people on my list, let's see what they have to say about a get out of jail free card. If you want to rot in here that's up to you. Personally, I would listen to what I'm offering. A luxurious home in a warm, sunny place. Fine food, nice clothes, and all your sins, for lack of a better term, forgiven. You'll be free to go and do as you please as long as it's within the law. And I don't have to tell you this but I will. Not only was this person loaded, they also happened to be very attractive. So you get everything, the money and the good looks."

"And women?" Robert asked while looking for the attached strings. "How about women? Do I get those as well?"

"If you want, sure. As many lovers as you desire and whenever the mood hits. I don't care about that aspect. To be frank Mr. White, I just need your body. I have a legal document here placing you into my care. Sign it and in thirty minutes not only will you be out of here, but you will also be a free man as well. So, what do you want me to do?" Dennis held the paper out in front of him. Robert White grabbed it and signed his life away.

***

Al tried looking at a magazine but was too nervous to read anything. Even though he hated smoking he really could have used a cigarette right now to calm down.

`What am I going to say this to person?' Al wondered. `Damn it, why did Tom bring me here in the first place? This person can't help me. No one can.'

Al fidgeted in the chair a little and wondered what was taking them so long. Tom wasn't telling this lady about him being Jennifer, was he? Oh God, he hoped not. But deep down inside Al knew that he was. Tom was doing what he thought was best, even if he didn't agree with it.

`He wants to treat me like a woman who has been raped and abused,' Al thought. `But this woman has no idea what I went through. I'm a man, not a woman...not mentally that is. I don't think or react like a real female. No female could begin to understand what I've been through or how it felt.'

He wanted to leave this place so badly. It would have been easy for him to get up and walk out that door since Tom had released all restrictions over him. He was free to do as he pleased. But if he left, where would he go? He didn't have a home anymore.

Besides which, Al needed Tom to hold on to. Tom was like a security blanket and Al needed his friend to protect him from all the dangers outside. What he needed was time - time to clear his mind and figure out what he was going to do. But that was easier said than done. Al felt more confused and afraid now than before Tom had rescued him. The world had become a very cold and cruel place since his transition into Jennifer and he was totally unprepared for it.

`Damn it, I've never been so afraid before. Why can't I get over this? And what the hell is taking Tom so long?' He looked back at the front door and thought about leaving again but couldn't get up to the courage to move.

Finally, after about 10 minutes, Tom walked back into the lobby with Redina. The dark skinned lady smiled and said, "Jennifer, lets talk some."

Tom came over to where Al was sitting. He got up and grabbed him by the arm. "Tom, let's go. I don't need to do this...really. Please, just get me out of here."

Tom looked directly into Al's face. It was filled with pain and fear, more than Al could bear. He really needed help badly.

"Please Kiddo, do this for me. At least give it a try." He gave Al a small hug to reassure him. "It's okay, Redina is very open-minded. Just give her a chance. You need this buddy, trust me please."

Al gave the Tom a worried look. "Will you go in with me?"

Tom shook his head. "You have to do this yourself Kiddo. Go on, I'll be right here when you need me. I promise I won't go anywhere until you come out."

Slowly Al released his grip on Tom and followed the counselor into her office. Once the door was closed Redina gave her a weary smile. Male or not, here was a person who needed a rescue boat like the one she had needed 10 years earlier.

Al looked around the office, unable to even look directly at the woman's face. He felt ashamed, embarrassed, angry and a whole range of other emotions as well. Yet Al couldn't let them out...didn't know how to let them out. So nothing did come out and he held it in and it HURT. GOD, HOW IT HURT.

"How are you feeling Jennifer?" Redina asked, trying to break the ice between them. Getting started was the hardest part of the process.

Al shrugged his slim shoulders and stared down at the floor. "I guess...I guess Tom told you about what happened...about who I really am?"

Redina nodded, "yes he did, but I'm not interested in that right now Jennifer. Tell me about Gerald and what he did to you all those nights." She saw the floodgates begin to open up in the younger woman. Here was the first step. The road to recovery was a road filled with pain, anger and tears.

Chapter 10 -- False Freedom

It only took 27 minutes, not thirty, for Dennis Butz to arrange the release of Robert White from prison. Fifteen minutes later they were on a private jet heading west. The ex-prisoner sat back in an over-stuffed seat drinking a gin and tonic from the bar on the plane. He had a wide smile on his face that went from ear to ear. It was all starting to sink in now. Not only had he beat the death sentence the judge had imposed on him, he was also a free man. However, appearances were deceiving. In this case neither his freedom nor his revoked death sentence was real.

"I have to admit Mr. Butz, I thought you were giving me a load of bull crap when we first talked. But I like the service so far." Robert White raised his glass and gave Dennis a salute. "Where are we going now?"

"To your new home," Dennis said with a sight smile. "I know you will enjoy it. Soon we'll start the process of your new life."

"Good. I can't wait to get out of these prison rags and into some nice clothes again!" Robert turned to eye the young, attractive female agent who was fixing him another drink.

"Don't worry Robert. I had Trisha here pick out something nice for you to wear once we get there."

"I found the outfit very appealing to me," the female agent spoke honestly as she handed Robert White a new drink with something extra added. "I can't wait to see you try it on."

"And I can't wait to try it on for you," Robert chuckled. "Maybe we could have dinner afterwards."

`Man, it's been a while, hasn't it? Dennis Butz did say I could have all women I wanted with this deal. I hope I haven't lost my touch,' he thought.

Trisha just smiled as Robert took the drink from her hand and drank it down. If he hadn't been paying so much attention to the female agent, he might have noticed his drink tasted a little different. In a few minutes he was fast asleep in the chair. Dr. Schnegg came into the main compartment carrying his black bag.

"Here are the papers Doctor. It's all legal now, just the way you like it," Dennis Butz told him. Dr. Schnegg nodded and pulled out a syringe from his black bag.

"Help me roll him over onto his stomach," the doctor told them.

***

"And then he started touching me. I tried to stop him...wanted to stop him...but I couldn't. And he made me ENJOY it...I didn't want to...I tried to fight it, I really did...please believe me that I TRIED not to enjoy it but...but he MADE ME! And then he called me names and made me feel so...so...so DIRTY. Oh GOD, I'M FEEL SO DIRTY!"

Redina watched the tears flow freely from Jennifer's eyes. The counselor reached over and wrapped her arms around the broken woman.

"It's okay Jennifer, I know how you feel," she said softly. "I felt the same way afterwards. But you're the victim here sister, do you understand? YOU DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG. Let it out now Jennifer. Let go of this pain you're holding inside you."

Al put his head on Susan's shoulder and started crying louder and harder then he'd ever done in his life. All the pain, anger and guilt that had been trapped inside for so long was coming out. In the waiting room Tom heard Al's crying and looked at his watch, it had taken almost 20 minutes. He took a deep breath and smiled at what he heard. It was the sound of freedom. His friend had reached rock bottom. Now there was nowhere for Al to go but up.

Thirty minutes later the two ladies walked out the door. Al's eyes were bloodshot but his face was clear of the pain that it once held. Where there had once been stress lines on Al's female face was now replaced with calmness. Al wasn't free from the demons yet, that would take time. But at least now he had some strength to deal with them.

"I would like to talk to you again in a couple of days Jennifer," Redina told Al. "And I would also like you to attend one of our support groups. Here is the information." She handed Al some papers.

"Thank you so much Redina." Al said weakly, wrapping his arms around the dark-skinned woman. The counselor gave Tom the thumbs up while she hugged the teary eyed woman back.

As they left the building Tom debated about the next part of his plan. Should he wait? No, the other woman needed to move on with her life as well. It would be painful for Al but once it was over they would both be stronger. The longer he waited, the harder it would be on the both of them.

"I need to make a phone call Kiddo. I know this may not seem like the best time but I need to meet with someone. It may not be a bad idea for you freshen up a little at my apartment." Al nodded but he was thinking about the dream he had, where Al Parker had been pushed into the dark, bottomless pit to be replaced by Jennifer. "My turn" Jennifer had said. "My turn."

Chapter 11 -- Unhappy Reunion

"We're here," Tom said. Al looked out at the restaurant and saw a familiar face.

"Sally? Oh my gosh, it's Sally, Tom. God she looks so good. I can't wait to hold her again." He noticed Tom was frowning at him.

"Al, you can't tell her who you are," he said firmly.

"WHAT! WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T TELL HER! Tom, I MISS her. I LOVE her. I wanted to MARRY THAT GIRL AND SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE WITH HER."

"I know buddy, I know. But listen to me for a moment. Sally has been living in HELL not knowing what really happened to you. She loves you and if you told her the truth she would accept you...for now. But Kiddo, you're not the man you once were. What kind of life can you offer her?"

"Plenty Tom. I could still..." Al stopped talking. Anger flashed in his eyes as he was unable to find the words needed to complete the sentence.

"Look Al, I'm not against gay relationships and you know that. But I think we both know Sally couldn't handle one. She would try but in the end she would be miserable and so would you. Al, this woman has a shot at putting this nightmare behind her and starting over with someone new. But the only way that's going to happen is if you're willing to do the right thing here. It's up to you Kiddo but ask yourself this -- how much do you really love her?"

"I love her a lot you son of a BITCH!" Al yelled. "Do you think this isn't painful for me, seeing her there and knowing I'm not the person I used to be. You take me to where she is and then tell me I can't let her know who I really am. You're asking me, NO, TELLING ME to make her think I'm dead so she can move on with someone new. WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITHOUT HER IN MY LIFE? I LOVE HER TOM! GOD, I LOVE HER!" Tears began to form in his eyes.

"Al, listen to me. Sally needs a chance to live a regular life with a man she can have children with. Kiddo, sometimes it's hard but if you really love someone that much...sometimes you have to let go of them for THEIR OWN GOOD. What happens when it doesn't work out? For the rest of her life Sally will feel guilty about not accepting you as you are now. If you tell her the truth, she will never have a happy, normal life again. We BOTH KNOW THAT, DON'T WE? We both know I'm RIGHT!"

Al knew he was. The question was, how much did Al Parker, what was left of him, still love her? Enough to let her nightmare end so she could have a normal life once more? Or only enough to be selfish and hold onto memories that could never be repeated?

"Let's go," Al said coolly.

Sally spotted Tom walking over to her with a younger, very attractive woman and stood up. "Tom, you said you know what happened to Al."

"Actually it's not me. This is Jennifer Anderson and she knows what happened. I'll let her tell you."

Al stared into Sally's worried, but pretty face. What should he do? What should he say? How much did he really love Sally?

"Did you really love him?" Al asked.

"Very much so," Sally replied.

"I'm sorry." Sally's face turned sour.

"No! NO! TELL ME HE'S STILL ALIVE." Sally buried her face into her hands and started crying. Al went over and held on to her. He couldn't go through with this; he had to tell her the truth. But what was the truth? Was Al Parker really alive? Was he still alive the way she needed him to be?

"How did it happen?" Sally asked with a sob.

"I can't...I can't talk about it right now," Al began. "It's all too painful for me to recall. But his death wasn't painful. I was there when it happened. He loved you. The last thing on his mind was you Sally. He told me to tell you something if I ever found you."

"What was it?" Sally asked in-between sobs.

"That he loved you so very much, both in body and in soul. That he had hoped to spend the rest of his life with you and have kids together and grow old with you, but he knew it wasn't meant to be. So he told me to tell you to move on and find someone else. He wanted you to be happy and not dwell on what happened to him. He wanted you to make someone else as happy as you had made him. Only in that way could you prove how much you really had loved him and allow him to finally rest in peace.

Sally sat there not knowing what to say. Al on the other hand was trying hard to keep control of himself. Letting Sally go, the woman Al Parker had loved so much that it hurt to be away from her arms, was killing him. The two women grabbed on to each other and started crying while Tom sat back and watched. Al had done the right thing. Now after 4 months of pure hell and putting her life on hold, Sally could move on. And so could Al, in his own way.

Chapter 12 -- Odd man out

Robert White was horrified at what he saw. Dennis Butz had promised him many things and so far he had delivered on all of them, only not in the way Robert had expected. The house he was staying in was fabulous, filled with many nice things that he could only have dreamed of owning. The bank account he was shown had more money in it than Robert could have made in three lifetimes and the food was first class. But it was the clothes; all those fine clothes Dennis Butz had promised him that he objected to. Seeing them for the first time made him understand what was really in store for him.

"Please, I don't want to put it on. Stop what you are doing please."

"But you said you couldn't wait to try this outfit on for me," Agent Trisha replied back in a pouting voice. "I'm very disappointed to hear you say that. I guess this means dinner is off too."

"I've changed my mind," Robert White said, his voice filled with panic. "I didn't know what you expected me to wear. Stop this, all of this, I beg you."

"Did the women you murdered in cold blood also beg Robert?" Dennis Butz asked sternly as he walked into the room."

"BUTZ, whatever the HELL you have in mind I want it stopped. Change my body back to the way it was and take me back to JAIL. I HAVE..."

"Rights?" Dennis finished the sentence for him in an acid tone. "Not any more scumbag. Have you forgotten about the contract you signed with me? You gave up all your RIGHTS to me. In a nutshell, your ASS is mine to do with as I please."

"YOU LIED TO ME!" Robert White shouted.

"NO, YOU DIDN'T ASK THE RIGHT QUESTIONS!" Dennis snarled back. "Everything I promised you I have delivered on. A nice house, good food, money in the bank and -" Dennis picked up a pair of lacy panties from the bed and held them in front of Robert's face, "nice clothes." He stuffed the panties into Robert's hand and smiled. "Like I said, everything I promised you would get I have delivered on."

"Okay, you misled me. I want to break the contract NOW."

"Sorry, you can't. It clearly says that once we start changing your appearance the contract can't be broken." Dennis ran his finger up Robert's small blooming chest causing him to shiver. "So you see, there is nothing you or I can do to stop this. In a few days the families of the women you MURDERED will get a letter from me. In it I will write how you tried to escape and were killed in some horrible fashion. These families will probably send me a thank you card. Justice will be done for them, for the women you murdered in cold blood, and to you."

"Why me? Why not someone else. There must be worse criminals than me you could use," Robert asked.

"True, but most of them have either families or friends who see them frequently. You, on the other hand, haven't had a visitor since you arrived in prison. Your parents are dead, your sister hasn't talked to you in over seven years, and in the two years you have been incarcerated you still didn't have any close friends on death row. You, Robert White, will not be missed. That makes you the perfect candidate."

"Do you really think I will go along with this?" Robert asked in a last ditch desperation. "I'll tell everyone I meet who I am and what you're doing."

Dennis looked at him in amusement and chuckled. "I don't think so Robert." He turned to the female agent and said, "we will start up project Phoenix tomorrow once the transformation is complete. Do you think you can handle him by yourself Trisha or should I have a guard come in?"

"Oh, I don't think Roberta will be giving me any problems boss. Besides, I don't want to embarrass him anymore then he needs to be but thanks for offering." Dennis waved his hand at her and gave Robert one more smile before leaving the room. Trisha turned to Robert also wearing a wide grin. She was going to enjoy this.

"Now Robert, let's get you dressed. Come over here and put on your new clothes. I can't wait to see how you look in this dress." Robert's feet started moving him toward her as commanded.

"NOOOOOOOOO!" he shouted.

***

Al didn't say anything as Tom drove them home. He stared out the car window at the all the people on the sidewalk going here and there. How normal everything seemed to be. Finally he got up the nerve to ask Tom what was really troubling him.

"I'm really dead, aren't I? I mean Al is. He doesn't exist in this world anymore?"

"I'm afraid not Kiddo. I didn't now how to tell you that."

"And what you did to me back there at the restaurant, that was for Sally's benefit, wasn't it?" There was a hint of anger in his feminine voice.

"Yes," Tom answered matter of factly. The time had come to confront his friend.

"That was a cold-hearted thing you did to me back there, Tom! Do you know how close I came to telling her the truth? Why did you do that? WHY?" Al demanded to know.

"Because I HAD TO," Tom snapped back. He pulled the car off to the side of the road and faced Al. "That poor girl has been twisting in the wind ever since you disappeared. I couldn't let her go on one more day thinking that Al Parker may still be alive; that one day he would pop back into her life. I knew she loved you and if she didn't hear the words that she would keep on loving and holding on to your memory. Her life would remain on hold until this chapter in her life was over. I couldn't let this go on any longer for her sake."

"But why ME?" Al asked angrily and on the verge of crying again. "Why didn't you tell her I was dead? Why didn't you tell her how much I loved her?"

"Because you needed to LET GO TOO!" Tom yelled back, allowing his anger to finally come out. "I'm sorry Kiddo, but you are NOT the person you used to be. I LOVE YOU Al! You're family to me and I can't tell you how happy I am to have found you alive. But let me explain to you what kind of hell YOU PUT ME THROUGH.

"For the first few weeks after you disappeared I didn't eat or sleep very well. I lost more than 10 pounds the first two weeks; TEN POUNDS worrying about what had happened to you. You left without a word and worse, you went behind my back to do a job for that devil, Klein Walker. You DIDN'T EVEN CARE HOW I WOULD FEEL ABOUT THAT!

"Do you want me to tell you about the nightmares I had Al? Or HOW that feeling of guilt ate inside of me every GODDAMN day; viewing one dead body after another, half of me hoping it wasn't you while the other half hoped it was so you wouldn't be missing anymore? Do you want me to tell you about all the leads I hunted down that turned out to be dead ends and how DAMN FRUSTRATING IT WAS? DO YOU? I've done my share to help you out. I've paid YOUR TAB AT LEAST THREE TIMES OVER. Now you want me to tell your girlfriend, who loves you more then anything else in world, that you're DEAD so YOU WON'T FEEL ANY OF HER PAIN? NO, I'VE DONE MY SHARE. IT'S YOUR TURN NOW BUDDY! IT'S TIME YOU START PULLING YOUR WEIGHT AGAIN! YOU CAUSED THIS FUCKING MESS, NOT ME! IT'S TIME YOU PICKED UP AFTER YOURSELF! IT'S TIME YOU FACE THE PAIN YOU CAUSED OTHERS TO FEEL!"

Tom paused for a moment to re-gather his emotions. This blowup had been coming ever since he discovered Al's connection to Klein Walker. Now that his anger was out of the way, it was time make peace. He took a deep breath and continued in a calmer tone.

"I love you Al, I really do. You've always been like a brother to me and I'd do anything for you. What I did back in Salt Lake City proves that. I risked my life to save yours and I would do it again if I had to. But don't ask me to carry you anymore...not when you're able to walk by yourself. It's time you got on your feet buddy. It's time you started living again."

Al stared out the window and thought carefully about what Tom had just said. How true his words were. He had no right to get mad at his friend for what he did. This wasn't Tom's fault; it was his. Nothing could change that fact. Too many people had suffered as a result of his actions. It was time to face that fact and become responsible for what had happened. Sally deserved a normal life instead of wasting it by hanging on to the hope Al Parker would be back. And Al shouldn't expect Tom to handle every one of his problems because it was too painful. He was the one who had caused all this pain.

"Tom, I'm sorry for getting mad at you."

"I know Kiddo. I'm sorry too for yelling at you the way I did."

"You rescued me and I'm grateful," Al began slowly. "My words can't begin to describe how grateful I really am. I should have told you that sooner. I've been very selfish these past few days...I'm sorry."

"It's okay buddy, I understand. You've been through hell Kiddo. A normal person would have cracked by now."

"Tom."

"Yes Al?"

"Don't call me Al or Kiddo anymore. That person really is dead...I can accept that now. My name is, is...Jennifer. Please call me that from now on."

Inside Tom breathed a sigh of relief. Al or rather Jennifer was back on the road to living again, not just existing in someone else's body.

"Okay Jennifer. Oh, I almost forgot, I have something for you. A present you might say." Tom reached into the back seat and handed over a box he had been saving for the right moment. This seemed to be it

"What is it?" Jennifer asked opening up the box. Inside was a folder containing a bunch of papers.

"It's from TJ, you remember him don't you? It's all the information he has on Jennifer's parents...your genetic parents."

"How...how can I contact...?"

Tom turned and smiled at Jennifer "I'm still working on that Kiddo...sorry Jennifer."

But his friend didn't hear the last part. Jennifer was too busy going through the papers and photos in the file. For the first time Tom saw a beautiful smile on her face that wasn't being controlled. Things were starting to look up at last.

***

It was Kevin's co-worker who told him what had happened. Karen Jones had made a call to Florida to break the bad news to Jennifer's parents only to get a very unexpected response. At first she didn't believe what she had been told, it was just too bizarre. But after checking out the facts with the Lakewood police there was no way it couldn't be true. She found Kevin in the conference room doing some paperwork.

"Hey Kevin, I'm glad I found you. That Jennifer Anderson woman who you think died in that car accident the other night. She was killed while riding in a car with a drunk driver."

"I know that Karen!" Kevin replied, a little annoyed that his Karen would be telling him the obvious. "The hospital tested Miss Jensen's blood level, it was two and a half times over the limit

"No Kevin, you don't understand. Jennifer Anderson was killed while riding in a car with a drunk driver last year in Florida."

"Get out of here!" Kevin replied, figuring it was yet another one of the endless pranks that she was always pulling on him. "If that's true then this accident would make it the second time she died. I've only known one person who came back to life after they were dead and she didn't look like him."

"Look Kevin, I swear I'm not making this up. I don't know who that was in the car last night but I'm telling you that Jennifer Anderson died in a car crash last year."

Kevin laid down his pen and rubbed his head. This accident seemed to get stranger by the hour. "Okay Karen, how do you know that?"

"I was able to track down what I thought was the victim's parents by using the social security number on the drivers license you gave me. I called the parents this morning to inform them that their daughter had been killed in an accident only to have the father curse at me and tell me that I was a little late telling him. He told me his daughter had been killed in a car crash last year. I thought maybe he was in shock or in denial but he insisted I was wrong and hung up on me. So I decided to check with the police department in Lakewood and they confirmed what he told me. Jennifer Anderson was killed in a car accident last year when the drunk driver she was riding with drove his car into a tree."

"Did you ask the father for a picture of Miss Anderson by chance Karen?"

"No, I'm afraid not Kevin. He hung up before I could say anything else and I don't think he will be too helpful if I call him back. But I did fax the officer a picture of Miss Anderson from her driver's license. He said the girl in that photo looked just like the Jennifer Anderson who was killed in Florida."

Kevin pondered this new development. What the hell did all this mean? A girl who was already dead dies again in the same type of accident? Impossible, she looked pretty alive when he had pulled her over earlier. So why would someone want to take up the identity of a young lady who was already dead? Kevin bet Tom knew the answers to these questions. It looked like he was going to have to make a trip to Seattle and talk to him.

Chapter 13 -- Payback time

"And that's my plan for Klein Walker and Keith Bennett," Tom finished. "I'm sorry Jennifer, it's the best I can come up with. I know that I'm asking you to do a lot. If you can't deal with it I'll understand. It'll just take more time for me to come up with another plan."

Jennifer thought about it. What Tom was asking her to do was a lot but at least he was asking. Then she thought about Keith Bennett and what he must being going through right now. Could she continue to let him suffer when she had the power to stop it? They couldn't change him back; his fate was set in stone the same as hers. But at least they had the power to free him, to let him live his life as Cynthia the way he wanted to and not as an extension of his mother's second childhood.

"I'll do it Tom but I'll need you to help me." Tom understood what she was saying. "However, I do have one condition. I get to pick out the getaway disguises. Is it a deal?"

Tom was surprised that she had agreed so fast to his plan; he had expected at least a little argument. "Sure, that's fine with me. You realize we need to get started on this right away."

Jennifer nodded. "I know. Lets do it now before I change my mind, okay."

"Sure, I understand. Ekala..."

***

Klein Walker took his usual seat at the bar and scanned the room. It didn't take him long to spot the beautiful woman in the corner, all alone no less. She was much younger than him but that didn't matter to Klein. This woman was exactly how he liked them; pretty, blonde, and wearing a short skirt that showed off her gorgeous legs. She must be new in town; he hadn't seen her before. Klein called the bartender over and told him to send another drink to her table.

"Watch this boys," he said confidentially to his two bodyguards.

The waitress took the drink over to the woman's table and pointed to where they were sitting. The blonde hair lady mouthed the words, "thank you," at him and smiled.

"That's my cue boys. Stay here and watch the master in action." Klein picked up his drink and waded over to the attractive blonde.

"Hi, my name is Klein Walker. You must be new here, I haven't seen you before."

"Hi Klein," the woman replied in a deep southern voice. She extended her hand seductively to him. "My name is LuAnn Stone. I'm in town for some business and I was beginning to think that this would be a boring night for me."

"So did I until I saw you," he replied back.

***

The motel was located on the other side of the parking lot from the bar. Tom peered out the window and was worried. He hated not being inside the bar where he could keep an eye on Jennifer but that would have been far too risky for what he had planned.

A thought crept into his mind. Maybe Klein wouldn't be interested in Jennifer. No, that was crazy, of course he would. Jennifer had pulled out all of her female magic to be as desirable as possible. If Klein didn't find her irresistible then he was brain dead. In fact, Tom had taken a cold shower after she'd left to cool down. She looked hot tonight. No, Klein would be interested. All he had to do now was wait; something he found very hard to do when his friend could be in trouble.

Almost 30 minutes after Klein had entered the bar he came out with a blonde lady holding on to his arm. His two bodyguards were close behind, scanning for any sign of trouble in the parking lot. Here is where the real danger began. Everything had to go just right or someone would be dead.

The four of them headed over to LuAnn's motel room as planned. Tom closed the drapes and turned on the TV so they would think the room was occupied. Then he waited. It was all up to Jennifer now.

When they reached the room, one of Walker's bodyguards went in first to make sure everything was all right. Klein explained rather boldly that he was a very important man and couldn't take any chances. The bodyguard checked the doors between the two rooms and found them locked. Just to be safe, he shoved a chair underneath the knob so it couldn't be opened. Convinced that the room was safe, the bodyguard motioned his boss and his new girlfriend inside.

"Can I fix you boys a drink?" she asked.

"My men don't drink while on duty, isn't that right guys?" The two men shook their heads and eyed the lovely lady who was about to become another mark on their boss's belt. "But hell, I'll take one. Why don't you boys go outside and smoke while LuAnn and I get better acquainted."

The men nodded and left the room. Klein picked up the key and handed it to one of the bodyguards as he left. When they were gone, he closed the door and locked it. He felt secure knowing that his men were just outside within shouting distance in case there was trouble. LuAnn handed him the drink.

"Here you go sugar! Drink up." Walker took the glass and gulped it down in one chug.

"Wow, you must have been thirsty sugar." LuAnn said. "Do you want another?"

"Not right now you pretty lady. All I want for the moment is YOU!"

Klein Walker pulled the blonde woman into his arms and started kissing her hard. As he was doing this, his hands moved up her short, black dress. She didn't resist him. Instead she returned his kisses and started moaning deeply at his advances. He pulled her down onto the bed in anticipation of what was to come next. She got on top of his 300+ pound frame and with one quick stroke pulled off her dress like it was on fire.

"Does this interest you sugar?" she asked while showing off her large chest that was pushing out of her tight, lacy bra.

"You bet it does pretty woman." Klein growled. Her southern voice was driving him crazy. It had been years since he had scored with a southern belle, especially one as pretty as this. He would definitely have to get her number after this was over and fly her back up sometime.

Klein reached out for her lacy bra only to notice his hand felt a little heavy. He brushed it off as a normal reaction from all the drinks he had at the bar. But then he realized he was feeling a little strange and LuAnn picked up on it.

"Here, let me help you." She moved her chest closer to his face and Klein caught the sweet scent of perfume between them. But he wasn't thinking about her breasts anymore. Something was wrong with his body.

`Damn it, why does my entire body feel so heavy,' Klein asked himself? `Am I having a heart attack?' No, he didn't feel any pain in his chest but...panic set in.

"Get off me, I'm not feeling very well." He tried to move but his entire body felt stiff. He opened up his mouth to say something else only this time all that came out was a garbling sound.

"Lay still sugar, I'll be right back." Jennifer gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and walked over to the door that separated the two rooms. She removed the chair and opened up her door then she gave a quick knock on the other. It opened up and Tom walked into the room.

"Hi Klein. How have you been?"

The fat man looked at Tom with wide eyes knowing that he was in big trouble. He tried to say something but nothing came out.

"Don't try to speak Klein. It only makes it harder on your body. Oh don't worry. The drug she gave you won't kill you. In fact, you'll be back to your normal self in say...oh 10 minutes. Well, almost back to your normal self. We need to make a few small adjustments." Klein Walker stared back at Tom wondering what was going to happen next. One thing for sure, he would kill this son of a bitch himself after all this was over.

"Oh, by the way, what do you think of LuAnn? Quite a dish, don't you agree? But then we all know, `blondes do have more fun'." Jennifer's smile turned to anger as if a switch had been turned on inside her. She leaped on top of Klein and placed her hands tightly around his throat.

"You fat son of a bitch...you set me up and left me for dead. I'll kill you for that." With all her might she squeezed tightly around his fat neck. Tom rushed over and pulled the angry woman off him.

"Jennifer, calm down. Remember our plan. We need him alive."

"Just give me another minute Tom, please," she begged. "Just enough to let him feel the cold hand of death coming to get him."

"We don't have time for that Jennifer," he told her softly. "Now calm down and help me flip him over."

It took both of them to flip Klein's over onto his stomach. Jennifer was being less than gentle with him and Tom had to warn her about it.

"Where are they?" Jennifer asked.

"Right here." Tom handed her the first injection.

Klein felt the cold touch of an alcohol ball followed by a slight pinch in the back of his neck. A minute later there was second pinch and shortly after that there was a third.

`What the HELL are they doing to me'? He wondered.

"Do you think the memories will still be there?" she asked.

"The doctor said they would be, some of them anyway. It's all experimental but I'm sure at least part of it will work. We'll know more once we triggered the memories."

Tom issued Klein a command to talk quietly and not move unless he was told. When the drug finally wore off, he ordered the fat man to sit up.

"What do you want Tom? Money?" Klein asked in a whisper. "I can give you plenty, more than you can spend in two lifetimes. Just release your control over me and I'll give you everything you deserve."

"Like you did to Detective Taylor and his son?" Tom answered angrily. "Do you really think you can buy yourself out of this? Don't be foolish Klein, money doesn't matter to me."

"Then what does?" he asked in surprise. "If you don't plan to kill me, if it's not about getting even or about money, then what do you want?"

"Who said it wasn't about getting even Klein?" Tom grinned sharply at the fat man. "I said we needed you alive, I didn't say anything about not getting even. But before I tell you what I want, there's someone you need to meet. You remember Al Parker, don't you? He's changed a little since you last talked. Of course he has you to thank for that." LuAnn, AKA Jennifer, had taken off her blonde wig but Klein still didn't see the resemblance.

"Al...Al Parker? Is that really you? But you'r..."

"Dead!" she answered for him. "Yes, thanks to you I'm dead! I thought you should see first hand what they did to me you fat little worm. They caught me and turned me into a woman but I never told them why I was there. I thought you would come and get me out of that hellhole but instead you abandoned me and left me to rot. If it wasn't for Tom I would still be in that HELL-HOLE."

"As you can see Klein," Tom interrupted, "Al still has a lot of built up anger towards you. But don't worry; I won't let him hurt you. We, rather I, need you alive and well."

"Let me go RIGHT NOW and I'll let you both live," Klein threatened. "I'm too big to sneak past my men and in case you forgotten, they're right outside the door. Sure we can wait but if I don't walk out that door in the next couple of hours they'll come in looking for me. You're just as trapped as I am McClain. Give it up now if you want to live."

"I have a better idea Klein," Tom replied. "Why don't I show you first hand how the serum works."

Klein Walker looked at Jennifer in fear but Tom read his mind. "No, not like that even though you so richly deserve it. I have something else in mind. Now keep quiet and listen up..."

Chapter 14 -- Walk on the wild side

By the time Tom was done no one would have recognized the person standing in front of him was actually Klein Walker. He was almost 200 pounds lighter and several inches taller. Jennifer walked in from the other room where she had been changing. Her hips and stomach were padded, making her appear 50 pounds heavier then she really was. Gone was her short dress and blonde hair she had worn before; it had been replaced by a long skirt and a short, red wig.

"What do you think?" she asked Tom.

"I think I liked you better as a blonde," he joked. "No one will recognize you now. How does Klein look?"

"Very impressive." Jennifer got closer and looked directly into his face. "He looks exactly the way he should."

"Good, then lets put on our disguises and get out of here. Come with me Klein." The three of them walked into the next room.

"Your outfit is in the brown bag on the bed Tom," Jennifer told him. "But first, look what I brought for our friend to wear."

She pulled out a short, pink dress covered with white lace and a large, fluffy petticoat. Tom watched the reaction on Klein's face and chuckled.

"Very nice but I think something a little bit more conservative would have been better. He's going to stick out like a sore thumb when we leave."

"Better him than us," Jennifer shot back.

Tom nodded in agreement and picked up his bag. To his surprise, instead of finding a pair of pants and a shirt, he pulled out a short, black skirt and a pretty tan sweater. He held them up for Jennifer to see.

"What's this? Did you give me the wrong bag or something?" he asked in bewilderment.

Jennifer flashed him an evil grin. "Welcome to MY world Tom!"

***

The two bodyguards leaned against their boss's car that was now parked near the room he was in. They noticed the light in the room next door go off.

"Must have gone to bed," one bodyguard commented to the other.

The other bodyguard noticed someone peaking out the window. "Something's up Sam." Both men immediately focused their attention on the door as it began to open up.

The first person to step out was a heavy-set woman. She looked at them cautiously and whispered inside, "it's okay, don't be nervous. They won't hurt you." She grabbed a hand and gently pulled out another person dressed in a short, pink dress, white heels, and a wide petticoat that made the short skirt spread out. Then another person stepped outside wearing a tan top, a short, black leather skirt, and a pair of shiny black and tan 2-inch high heels. The bodyguard read them instantly.

"It's a bunch of QUEERS!" he told his partner. He shouted out to them, "Hey you...in the pink outfit. Your SLIP IS SHOWING!" Both men broke out laughing.

"Ignore them," the heavy-set woman commanded while leading them away.

The bodyguard couldn't resist one more shot as they were leaving. "Hey lady, why don't you lose some weight! Maybe then you could find some REAL MEN to date!" He noticed the guy in the pink outfit look back at them. "I wasn't talking to you little lady. Hell, you're the PRETTIEST in the bunch! I bet you get LUCKY tonight!" The men started hooting and laughing in an uncontrolled manner.

`YOU FOOL'S!' Klein wanted to yell back at them. `It's ME you idiots -- HELP ME! They're going to take me away. Stop us and check the room. Can't you see this is all wrong? You're supposed to be protecting me. STOP THEM DAMN IT!'

Klein stared at the corner of the motel, as it got closer with every step he took. Once they turned that corner it would be too late. He tried to stop walking but couldn't. He looked back at his bodyguards to give them a hand signal but they were too busy laughing and making jokes to notice. They came to the end of the motel and Klein turned the corner. His old life ended at that point and a new life awaited him.

The walk to Tom's car wasn't far but it did require passing by some other people who all had a chance to stop, snicker, and make a joke at what they saw. Jennifer and Tom dropped back about 20 feet so they could enjoy the show. A couple of young ladies that Klein surprised outside their door decided to have a little fun at his expense.

"Oh my GOD Janet, would you look at her. She's wearing the same color dress you are." The two women stepped in front Klein blocking his path.

"And such a pretty color on her too. What's your name Sweetheart?" Both women giggled while Klein tried to get around them, unable to say anything and too embarrassed to do so if he could.

"I guess she's shy Mary. Hey, let me look at your outfit honey." Janet grabbed Klein's hand and spun him around causing a couple of guys to hoot and whistle at him. The two ladies burst out laughing as Klein walked away at a much faster pace. The two women were too busy joking and laughing at him to pay much attention when Tom walked by; although he did hear one of them ask, "is that another guy in that skirt?"

A minute later the three of them piled into Tom's car. Jennifer turned around to face Klein and asked, "Did you have a good time Klein? I sure did." Then she turned to her friend. "Now aren't you glad that I picked out that outfit for him to wear Tom? They didn't even pay attention to you."

"Actually I was a little disappointed," he joked. "I mean, my first time out in a skirt and no one even whistled at me. I was hoping to turn at least a few heads."

"Well if you want, you and I can go out clubbing after we drop Madonna off," Jennifer laughed. "Then you can get all the attention you want."

"Sounds like fun but I'll pass. Let me ask you something, how in the hell do you stand these HEELS? MY feet are KILLING ME!"

"Lots of painkillers Thelma. You know it was a man who designed high heel shoes to entrap the female population. It's only fitting you should wear them from now on."

"No thank you," Tom replied with a cringe. "Say, how do I get back into my apartment without being seen? I don't want my neighbors thinking I dress like this in my free time."

"That's not my problem Tom. I guess you should have thought of that first." Jennifer giggled at his predicament.

"I didn't know I would be wearing this getup. You picked this out for me, remember? And I swear you made sure it was the most uncomfortable thing to wear. I can't keep this skirt down."

"Like I said Tom," Jennifer answered with an evil grin, "welcome to my world."

Chapter 15 -- Missing persons

Several hours passed before the bodyguards decided they should check up on their boss. First they knocked but that didn't get them an answer. Sensing there was a problem; one of them unlocked the door and both bodyguards rushed in with their guns drawn. They did a quick search of the room but their boss was nowhere to be found. Almost immediately one of them noticed the unlocked door leading to the other room. He motioned to his partner and kicked the other door into the room the drag queens had occupied. They found that room empty as well.

Immediately they left and phoned the police. The first car arrived on the scene within five minutes. An hour later detective Dave Power was assigned to investigate Klein's Walker's disappearance.

"So Klein Walker bit the big one!" Dave said pleasantly to himself. This was going to be a pleasant night after all. There would be plenty of cops celebrating at the local pub after the shift was over. As he got out of his car, one of Walker's bodyguards boldly approached the detective.

"It took you long enough to get here," he said in an arrogant voice. "My boss is missing and I want action!"

Klein's Walker's bodyguard was more then a full foot taller than Dave Power was but that didn't intimidate the veteran detective. At the police department he was known as 'the bulldog' because of his cold-steel toughness and ability not to be intimidated by anyone no matter how tall they were. Besides, Detective Taylor had been a good friend of Dave's and while he hadn't been assigned to that case, he knew enough about it to know who was responsible for Taylor's death. He wasn't about to let one of Walker's two-bit goons push him around.

Detective Power smiled pleasantly and turned to the man finger-printing the door. "Hey Charlie, did you hear that. Make sure you give this job your best. We don't want any screw-ups like the last time, okay?"

The middle-aged cop looked up and gave Dave a stupid grin. "No sweat boss. See this rag, I'm wiping the area first to get rid of any dirt so the fingerprints will show up real nice and clean."

Dave rolled his eyes in a dramatic way. "Charlie you IDIOT! You're supposed to dust and THEN WIPE, not the other way around."

"Oh," the cop answered dumbly. "Is that why I'm not getting anything to show up? Thanks for the tip boss. I'll try doing it your way next time."

The detective turned back to the bodyguard and smiled. "Rookies...what can you do?"

The bodyguard got angry at what he considered a lack of enthusiasm on the detective's part. Well, he would light a fire under his butt real fast. Figuring Dave's small size would make him an easy pushover; the bodyguard made his move but it was a big mistake.

"What are you, a BUNCH OF KEYSTONE COPS?" he shouted. "Get this IDIOT OUT of here and get someone who KNOWS HOW TO DO HIS JOB RIGHT. I WANT ACTION RIGHT..."

Dave cut the bodyguard off cold. "LISTEN ASSHOLE! DON'T stand there and tell me how to do MY JOB, UNDERSTAND? I KNOW what I'm DOING, Charlie knows what he is DOING, ALL THESE OFFICERS KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING! We DON'T need YOU telling us HOW TO DO OUR JOB! I ISSUE the orders here, NOT YOU. HAVE YOU GOT THAT?" By this time several other officers had joined Dave's small circle and they all carried loaded guns. The detective continued giving Walker's bodyguard the third degree while at the same time explaining to him why keeping quiet was in his best interest.

"Now, as far as I can tell there is no way Klein Walker could have stuffed his fat ass out that back window. This leads me to believe he had to come out the front door and guess who would have been the last ones to see him leave? Let me answer that for you; it's you TWO HOODS! In my EXPERT opinion that makes you bozos the PRIME suspects in his disappearance. So do you want to explain to me how 300 pounds of lard could have walked right past the both of you without being seen...or do I start GUESSING?" The bodyguard knew he was way over his head and backed off quickly.

"Hey look, I'm sorry detective. I'm still a little shook up over all this. You're the expert here, not me. Do you have any leads sir?" The last thing he needed was to have his boss's friends believe they had been responsible for bumping him off.

Dave's angry face changed back to a wax smile. "I don't know yet son, I just got here. I haven't looked at any of the evidence yet." He turned to the other cops standing around him. "What about it boys, do you have any ideas as to what happened to Mr. Walker?"

"I do Dave," one senior police officer spoke up. "I noticed the bathroom has one of the older type toilets in it. You know, the large ones they use to make thirty years ago before they started downsizing them. I bet someone flushed Walker down the john and now he's floating in the sewer with all the rest of the crap." Several of the officers started to chuckle.

"I don't know, it would have taken a mighty big plunger to stuff his fat ass down that small hole," Dave replied skeptically. "Anyone else have any ideas?"

"I think someone stuffed him in the trash compactor with the rest of the garbage and then tossed him in the dumpster out back."

Dave scratched his head as if he was in deep thought. "Do they really make dumpsters that will hold that much garbage?" There was more snickering and chuckling among the group.

"How about the drag queens you guys talked about in the next room?" another officer asked. "You told me the door between the rooms had been opened and one of the, umm, ladies, was rather heavy."

"Really!" Dave added with some amusement in his voice. He turned and looked directly at Walker's bodyguard to see the expression on his face. "Did your boss wear dresses often or only on special occasions?"

"That queer wasn't our boss," the bodyguard insisted. "First of all, they were all too skinny to be him and second, our boss never wore dresses! He's a man's man."

"Uh huh!" Dave replied back in an unconvinced tone. "Well boys, as you can see we have 'several' leads to work on so I'm sure we'll find your boss soon. But just in case we don't, maybe you should consider looking for a new job." Dave left no doubt in the bodyguard's mind that this would be one case Seattle's finest wouldn't solve.

The bodyguard opened his mouth to say something but thought better of it. He realized a hopeless situation when he saw it. Instead he turned and stomped back to his car to join his partner.

`Score one for the good guys,' Dave said to himself.

Chapter 16 -- Third Degree

That night Tom managed to sneak into his apartment without being seen by his neighbors. At least he had the good fortune of being able to change out of his disguise. Jennifer made Klein keep his clothes on until the next day, when the transformation was almost completed. It kept her busy.

Tom was also busy working on the several items that needed to be done before they left. He had just gotten off the phone with the airport to reserve tickets for their flight when there was a knock at the door. Tom opened the door to find Kevin standing on his porch looking very official in a suit and tie.

"Kevin, what a surprise! What are you doing in Seattle? Come in."

"Thank you Tom. I'm on official business. I'm investigating a car crash that happened last weekend and I'd like to ask you some questions."

"Sure Kevin, take a seat." At that particular moment Jennifer walked into the room to see who Tom was talking to. Kevin recognized her immediately from their last meeting with Gerald. She was the last person she expected to see in Tom's apartment.

"What the hell, you're supposed to be dead!" Kevin pointed to the couch. "Both of you sit down there. I'm placing you under arrest for suspicion of murder. You have the right to remain silent. If you give up the right..."

"Kevin, this isn't necessary," Tom said.

"Shut UP TOM, I'm doing my job! Now listen to what I say before you speak another word. Then, if you still wish to talk, I'll be more then happy to hear what you have to say." Tom let Kevin finish before trying to explain.

"Look Kevin, it's not what you think. I didn't kill anyone, I swear."

"Sure Tom. You contacted me looking for information on two people who you think had something to do with Al's disappearance. Not long after that both of them are killed, along with a third person, in a terrible accident. Only one of them wasn't killed, instead I find her here with you. That means you're involved somehow and I want to know HOW. So do you want to talk to me, or to the Seattle detectives? It's your choice."

About that time Tracy trotted into the room from her nap. "Mommy, who is that man and why is he so mad at you?"

"It's okay honey," Jennifer answered. "Why don't you play on the floor over there with your doll." The little girl did what she was told. Tom looked at Tracy and then back at Kevin.

"First of all Kevin, as you can see neither Jennifer Anderson or Gerald Rogers were killed in that crash. They are very much alive."

"I can see Miss Anderson, where is Mr. Rogers?"

"I'll tell you in a minute but first I'm going to tell you what happened to Al Parker. He is alive, in a sense." Kevin saw the woman stare sadly at the ground.

"Are you okay Jennifer?" Tom asked in a concerned tone "I can talk to Kevin alone if you like."

"No...I'm okay. It's just a little painful to relive this all again."

"What is she talking about Tom?" Kevin asked. "Where is Al Parker?"

"He's sitting right next to me Kevin."

"But the only one sitting next to you is Miss Anderson."

"That's correct Kevin," Tom answered in a truthful tone. "Please sit down Kevin, this may take a while."

For the next 15 minutes, Tom went over everything that had happened to Al Parker. It was way too much for the officer to take in and accept. Still he listened, as his police training had taught him, in the hope he could pick out the truth from the lies. He had to admit; it was a well thought out fairy tale.

"Okay, lets say I believe you Tom. Then what happened to Mr. Rogers? You said he is alive. Where is he then?"

"He's been in this room with us all along Kevin. He makes a cute three year old girl, don't you think?" Kevin observed the little girl look up and give him a smile.

"You want me to believe you turned a 6 foot tall adult man into a small child?" Kevin asked in disbelief and anger. "Do you think I'm an idiot Tom? I want the truth this time or I'm taking you both in."

"It is the truth Kevin, all of it I swear," Tom insisted.

Kevin sighed and decided to play along for a moment. "Okay, lets say I believe everything you told me is true. If that's the case then I'm going to have to charge you with kidnapping and taking someone across the state lines. Do you understand what the punishment is for that crime? Mr. Rogers has rights you know."

"RIGHTS!" Jennifer screamed out in rage. She stood up and looked the officer squarely in the eyes. Tom tried to calm her down but she pushed him away.

"You want to talk ABOUT RIGHTS OFFICER BROWN? THEN LETS TALK ABOUT MY RIGHTS FIRST? WHERE WERE YOU WITH YOUR BOOK OF RIGHTS WHEN THEY WERE CHANGING ME from a MAN into a WOMAN OFFICER BROWN? WHERE WERE YOU AND YOUR DAMN BOOK OF RIGHTS WHEN GERALD WAS 'RAPING ME' EVERY DAMN NIGHT? WHY DIDN'T YOU SHOW UP IN YOUR FANCY UNIFORM with your BOOK OF RIGHTS to STOP HIM? What the HELL did you or anyone else do to protect MY RIGHTS? WHO DO I SEE about my RIGHTS being VIOLATED not ONCE or TWICE BUT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN?" Angry tears formed in Jennifer's eye. Tom waited a moment before speaking.

"Kevin, I know you have a job to do but I want you to think about what that job really is. It's to serve and protect people, not turn them over to the executioners. If you turn us in you're signing our death warrants. Sarah Jensen's boss will not only come after Jennifer but me as well. That was why we had to fake her death. As long as they think Jennifer is dead she's safe. But if you turn us in then we're both as good as dead."

Kevin thought about what Tom said. He had never known Tom to lie and yet his story about Al Parker and Gerald Rogers was so hard to believe. But if the story was true then Miss Anderson, AKA Al Parker, had been put through hell because of Mr. Rogers and Dr. Jensen. Not only that, turning them in would be putting both of their lives in danger; maybe even his own now that he knew the entire story.

Mr. Roger rights had been violated but then he deserved it, didn't he? And Al Parker? Well, even though he had done something illegal, his rights had been violated far worse. This logic was crazy and yet, it made perfect sense too.

"What about Sarah Jensen, Tom? Did you kill her?" Kevin asked.

"No Kevin, I didn't. I had nothing to do with her car going off the road." Tom was stretching the truth a bit but his friend didn't need to know everything.

"Tom, you're asking me to believe something so...so unbelievable. Do you have any proof on what you are saying is true?

"Would a chat with Gerald Rogers be enough Kevin?"

"If that can be arranged, yes...I think that would convince me."

Tom turned to the little girl who was still playing with her doll. "Tracy, come here for a moment." She stood up and walked over to him just like a robot.

"Zomlix! You will talk as your true self. You will not try to leave this room or harm us. You will answer our questions truthfully. Zomlix!"

Tracy's eyes glazed over which Kevin found to be a little scary, like a scene from a horror movie. Then they cleared up and the sweet little girl threw down her doll and glared angrily at the policeman.

"Well, you heard what they did to me. ARREST THEM!" the little girl demanded.

"Are you really Gerald Rogers?" Kevin asked in an unconvinced tone.

"Are you DEAF as well as STUPID OFFICER? They just told you I AM! Now ARREST them and call my boss, Dennis Butz, in Washington, DC. He'll be able to help me."

"Your boss?" Kevin asked dumfounded.

"DAMN IT yes, my boss you stupid N..." Tracy spitted out some racial slurs at the black officer. "Now move your ASS -- I don't want to spend another minute dressed LIKE THIS! And when I'm back to my own self I'm going to make sure the two of you pay, ESPECIALLY YOU Mr. McClain."

It was hearing her call Tom "Mr. McClain" that convinced Kevin. No three-year-old child would talk like that. Tracy started throwing out some more threats but Tom said they had heard enough and spoke a command to her. Moments later she picked up her doll and returned to her sweet self again.

"Does that convince you Kevin?" The officer slowly shook his head, still a little shocked at what he had just seen and heard.

"What do you plan to do with her now?" he inquired. Jennifer answered that question.

"Raise her like my own. Teach her how to respect other people and not judge them based on color, gender or religious beliefs. Make sure she grows up to not only be a proper young lady, but to be compassionate to others as well."

"Sounds like that may take a while?" Kevin observed.

"We have an entire lifetime ahead of us," Jennifer said half-smiling.

"Who knows Kevin, maybe one day your son will fall in love with Tracy and then we'll be related by marriage," Tom added.

"Related by our daughter? Why Tom, are you asking me to marry you?" Jennifer asked in a teasing manner.

"What...no...it's...what I meant was..." Tom couldn't find the words to pull his foot out of his mouth.

"Yes Tom," Jennifer beamed at him.

"Well...I mean...I helped with the creation of Tracy so technically that makes me her father." Kevin laughed at Tom's predicament.

"If you want my opinion Tom you should make an 'honest woman' out of her."

"Well...lets not go overboard here," Tom muttered. "Don't you have to be going Kevin?"

"Trying to change the subject Tom?" Kevin gave him one of his big, Texas smiles. "Actually I do. Thank you for telling me the truth Tom. This is one report I won't mind falsifying. Good luck to the both of you and let me know when the two of you set the date!" Kevin couldn't resist one last friendly jab at his friend.

Jennifer gave the officer a hug and quick kiss on the cheek. "Thank you Kevin, for protecting me. I'm in your debt."

"It's my pleasure Miss Anderson...Jennifer." Kevin turned to Tracy who was looking at him with her baby blue eyes. He couldn't resist one last jab at Gerald either.

"Listen to your parents pretty little girl. They will teach right from wrong and why you shouldn't hate certain groups of people because of the color of their skin. Maybe one day your parents will let you date my son." He shook Tom's hand and left the apartment.

On his way back to the car Kevin smiled. He knew it was wrong but it felt so good inside to see a bigot get his just deserts. Not by murder or some other type of violence, he was totally against that. But by re-living his childhood with open-minded parents who wouldn't allow that kind of behavior to creep back in again. Now if the rest of the world could be like that. Maybe this was the answer to world peace?

All of the sudden Kevin realized what a dangerous thought that was. It was so easy to impose your own morals on other people while forgetting how imperfect you yourself really were. There wasn't a person or a government on this earth that was mature enough to play God. No, this was one secret that was better to be forgotten.

Chapter 17 -- Prodigal son

The plane trip to San Diego was uneventful. While Jennifer and Tracy slept most of the way there, the person who used to be Klein Walker stared out the window in silence. Tom left him alone in his own thoughts.

When they arrived, Tom flagged down a taxi and gave the driver directions. The trip was long but there wasn't much talking among the four of them. Each of them had a part to play and knew what to do. They arrived at the house located in one of the better neighborhoods of the city. Tom stared at the house and wondered how people could afford to live in places like this. He handed the driver three twenty dollar bills as the four of them got out of the car.

"Stand here," he told Klein, placing him out of sight of the front door. Tom had planned it out so the four of them would arrive while Susan Bennett wasn't home. The private investigator he had hired for this job had assured him the two ladies would be flying back from the Sarah Jensen's funeral late the previous night and that Mrs. Bennett had an appointment with a lawyer in the morning. But Tom had been in this business long enough to know that even the best information could change on a moments notice. He knocked on the door hoping it was still good. A young woman opened the door and smiled.

"Can I help you?" she asked in a feminine manner. A surprised look replaced the smile when she recognized Jennifer standing there next to Tom. "Oh my gosh...Jennifer! They told me you'd been killed." She reached out and gave her a big hug.

"Hi Cynthia. It's good to see you again. I've brought a few people along with me. This is my friend Tom and you remember Gerald, don't you? He looks a little different from the last time you saw him."

Cynthia put her hands over her mouth. "Oh my God...he looks so CUTE!" And he has such a pretty dolly too." Tracy tightened her grip on the doll and tried to hide behind Jennifer's leg.

"I have one more person for you to meet Cynthia," Jennifer told her. Klein Walker stepped out from behind them and Cynthia's eyes went wide as if she was seeing a ghost.

"Oh my GOD!" she gasped.

***

It had taken a while to learn all the information and figure out what was going on. Trisha got off the plane and headed for the first Taxi she saw. The backpack she carried contained the only change of the clothes she had for this trip. The special agent didn't expect to be in town very long, a few hours at best. But she always brought a change of clothes just in case. Her mission was an important one. She had to make contact with Susan Bennett and warn her of the danger she was in.

***

Susan Bennett came home from the lawyer's office with some papers for her daughter to sign. For some reason, Sarah Jensen had left the house to both Cynthia and herself. The lawyer explained this had been done for tax purposes.

Susan choked back the tears astonished that Sarah had been thinking of her. How she missed her friend already. To die in car wreck, along with Gerald and Jennifer; the circumstances brought back memories of her own husband's death. At least Susan could be thankful she had Cynthia back. She would always be grateful to Sarah for that.

Her daughter was seeing a young man who she approved of and any day she expected him to pop the question. Cynthia would of course tell him yes even though deep down she really didn't love him. The marriage would guarantee Susan a comfortable future and an opportunity to raise some more children. In fact, she had already started thinking about how many grandchildren her daughter would give her and what their names would be. The future looked bright ahead but Susan didn't know about the black cloud that lay just behind the front door. She was surprised to see a cute little girl playing with her doll on the hallway floor as she walked in.

"Well," Susan asked pleasantly, "where did you come from princess?" The little girl just smiled and went on playing.

"She's my daughter Mrs. Bennett," someone said from the living room. Susan looked to see who that someone was and got the shock of her life.

"Jennifer? But you're...you're dead!"

"Why does everyone keep saying that? I'm not dead, I'm very much alive."

"I can vouch for that Mrs. Bennett," Tom said walking out of the kitchen to take a position behind her. She turned angrily to face him.

"Who in the HELL are you and what's going on here?" she demanded to know.

"I'm a private investigator from Seattle Mrs. Bennett. My name is Tom McClain but please, call me Tom. You recognize Jennifer of course but apparently not Gerald. I guess he's changed a little since you saw him last."

"WHAT?" Susan exclaimed as Tom pointed at the small child. "Are you telling me this small little girl is really Gerald, Sarah's bodyguard? He, looks so...."

"Cute?" Tom answered for her. "Yes, we've been told that before. But I'm not here to discuss Gerald with you. I have some very good news for you Mrs. Bennett. Please, step into the living room so we can talk." He motioned to where Jennifer and Cynthia were sitting. Susan took a seat in a chair where she could face all three of them.

"Here mother," Cynthia said. "I fixed you a drink. I thought you might need it."

Susan took the glass and drank it down without talking her eyes away from Tom. She was worried about how much this man really knew. Since Jennifer was here he had to know everything, didn't he? But if that was true, why wasn't Cynthia acting any differently towards her?

"I understand you've offered a $10,000 reward for anyone who has information on what happen to your son. Is that reward still valid?" Tom asked.

"It is," Susan replied. She gave Cynthia a nervous glance but her daughter smiled back as if nothing was wrong. "He ran away a month ago and I haven't seen him since. Do you know where he is?"

"Yes, I have some idea," Tom answered pleasantly. "By the way, how much more of a bonus is there if I can return him to you?"

`What is he up to?' Susan asked herself.

"Is that what this is about, MONEY?" she demanded to know.

"No Mrs. Bennett," Tom said with a half-smile, "that is your vice. Mine is the pleasure I get from re-uniting lost love ones.
I was just wondering how much Keith really meant to you. Considering what you did to him I think it's a fair question."

"I think we both know what you are talking about Mr. McClain," she snapped back, "so lets not play any more games. What is it you WANT?"

"Only to see the happy look on your face when I re-unite you with your son. That will be my reward." Tom, Jennifer and Cynthia all smiled at Susan making her squirm a little. She sensed danger but didn't know why.

"Then let's get on with it." Susan turned to Cynthia only the next voice she heard didn't come from her daughter; it came from behind her.

"Hello MOTHER! I'm glad to see you again. It's been a long time." The voice was dripping with anger and sarcasm. Susan turned to see a young man standing in the doorway. Her mouth opened wide but she had trouble getting the words out.

"My...my...my God," she gasped. "Keith? No, it can't be you...it CAN'T BE!"

"Of course it can," Tom answered for him. "You saw what Sarah Jensen did to Cynthia, or rather Keith who is now Cynthia." Susan turned to her daughter who was sitting there smiling at her.

"Isn't this wonderful mother," she said. "We can be a family again."

"Who...who is that really? Is that Sarah?" Susan asked fearfully.

"No," Tom replied. "I'm afraid Sarah Jensen isn't in this world anymore. Lets just say this is a friend of mine who needed to make a clean start. As for how he became Keith, I think you know the process. Oh, you may not be aware of something, we were able to add something special to the transformation"

"What was that?" Susan asked half-consciously, unable to take her eyes off her long lost son.

"Sarah told you about project Phoenix but not all the details. Well, it seems that before the doctor injected the serum into Keith, the original Keith that is; she pulled out some of his brain tissue first. Sarah never told you about this, I think she wanted to surprise you one day by giving you back someone who not only looked like your son, but also had his memories. Unfortunately, her untimely death ended any chance of that happening but not all of his memories were lost. In fact, everything that happened to him from the last couple days up to that first injection are still very clear in his mind."

"Why Mom -- WHY? How could you change me into her?" Keith demanded to know. "I was your only son. How COULD YOU?"

"Keith..." Susan turned to Cynthia and then back to Keith, unsure of whom to direct her response too.

"Answer the question Mother!" Cynthia added firmly. "I want to know what I did that caused you to do this to me.

"YOU KILLED MY DAUGHTER KEITH!" Susan shouted out. "I had to do it. I had to get her back. She was my only daughter. Then there was the money. You caused all this. It was the least you could do to set everything right again. You killed Cynthia."

"No mother, I didn't kill her," Cynthia said.

"It was an accident, that was all," Keith added "I'm very sorry it happened but I didn't plan on it happening. That's the difference between killing someone and an accident."

"What you did to me was MURDER," Cynthia continued. "You used me, your only son, to replace her."

"Not for her good, but for yours," Keith finished. He moved a little bit closer to Susan. "You are the MURDERER Mother, not ME! I GRIEVED for Cynthia. I GRIEVE for her NOW!"

"Did you grieve for ME mother?" Cynthia asked. "Even once?"

"Of course I did Cynth...Keith." She kept turning back and forth between her two children while talking. "But it had to be done. We were going to lose all that money and seeing...Cynthia dead, my only daughter...I had to do it. There was no other choice Keith. I'm sorry but now that you're back," Susan looked directly at the new Keith, "things can get back to normal."

Her son walked over and stood next to Cynthia. "Tell me mother, did Dr. Jensen ever tell you about project 'Peace' and how it worked?"

"Not how it worked," answered Susan suspiciously. She didn't like the way the question had been asked.

"Let me explain then," Cynthia replied happily. "You see, unlike the serum which the doctor had to inject into the back of my brain, this formula can be taken by mouth. In fact, you can place it on a sandwich or in a drink to hide the aftertaste. Keith, why don't you show mother how it works."

Keith put his hand on Cynthia's shoulder. "No, I think after all this time you earned the right sister." Cynthia smiled back at her brother.

"Why thank you Keith. That was very thoughtful of you, don't you agree mother?"

Susan gave them a sick smile. What were they up too?

"Heartsmart, 1239856!" Cynthia said.

Susan felt as if a weight had been placed directly on her chest. Immediately she started having trouble breathing and fell to the floor. Keith stood there glaring at her while Cynthia continued to sit in the chair with a calm smile on her face as if nothing was wrong. Tom and Jennifer just sat there in silence and watched -- it was out of their hands now. Susan reached out to her children as if to say something but the pain wouldn't allow it.

"Goodbye MOTHER," Keith told her in an angry voice.

"Goodbye mother," Cynthia added sweetly. "Say 'Hello' to Dr. Jensen when you get to HELL!"

Susan's heart gave out and she lay on the floor dead. Tom looked at her body in bitterness. He had hoped this matter could have been handled another way but both her children insisted they wanted her dead as punishment for what she had done to them. It didn't make him feel any less dirty knowing it had been their decision and not his.

Cynthia looked up at Keith and smiled. "It's over."

He smiled back at his sister and replied, "Yes...it is."

***

They were a block away from the house when Trisha saw the lights from the ambulance and realized that she was too late.

"Stop the car driver and wait here. I'll be right back." Quickly the she made her way down the street to where a small crowd had developed. She arrived just in time to see a body being carried from the house. An older lady followed the paramedics out and walked over to a woman who was close to where Trisha was standing.

"The poor dear. It looks like she had a heart attack. I guess seeing her missing son was too much excitement for her heart to take."

`Missing son,' Trisha thought? `But Mrs. Bennett's son was actually her daughter, Cynthia. At least that was what she had been told. Who could this other person be?'

A young man appeared on the front steps and motioned the lady back over.

"There he is now. I'll be right back." Trisha took a few pictures of the young man standing there using a hidden camera inside her purse. Then she quickly headed back to the cab. She had to report this to Dennis Butz right away. It was a good thing she had packed a change of clothes just in case.

Chapter 18 -- Choices

"Hi TJ. This is Tom. I have another job for you."

"Sure Tom, what do you need me to do?" the Florida detective asked.

"I want you to contact Jennifer's parents. I need you to convince them to get on a plane and fly out to Seattle to meet with me."

"That's a pretty tall order Tom," said TJ. "Can you tell me how I'm supposed to convince them to fly across the entire continent to meet with someone they've never met before?"

"Tell them it has to do with their daughter, Jennifer. And tell them it's a free trip in first class with $1,000 spending cash, which I'm going to send via Western Union along with an extra $500. I'm paying you this time buddy."

"Okay, thanks Tom. I'll get started on this right away. When do you want them to fly out?"

"Let's make it four days from now. That would be the 9th. I'll going to be tied up in San Diego for a few days attending a funeral."

"I'm sorry to hear that Tom," TJ said in a sympathetic voice.

"Thanks TJ but it's okay. I wasn't very fond of this person anyway."

***

Susan Bennett's funeral was well attended by neighbors and friends from the country club she attended. Afterwards Cynthia grabbed Tom's arm and asked if he would walk with her for a bit. They went outside the reception room and were greeted by yet another sunny California day.

"What's on your mind Keith?" Tom asked.

"That's the problem Tom, I don't know what's on my mind. Where do I go from here?"

"I guess anywhere you want," Tom answered truthfully. "In a few months you'll be a very wealthy person (he avoided using the term 'lady') and you can do anything you wish."

"That's not what I mean Tom," Cynthia said in a confused tone. "I mean, first of all there is Keith. Do you know how weird it is seeing yourself standing there in front of you and treating him like he was you -- while at the same time knowing you're the real Keith? It's crazy! I'm Keith Bennett; I just don't look or talk like myself anymore. And the other Keith, well, he looks and talks like me but doesn't have any of my memories, at least not very many of them."

"Only about 5% from what Dr. Jensen told me," Tom replied, "and most of those memories would only be a few months old.

Cynthia stopped walking and looked directly into Tom's eyes. "The problem is Tom, I don't know who I am or how I should act anymore. I don't know what to do. Should I try to live as Keith...or as Cynthia? Do you know what the answer is?"

Tom gave her a warm smile. "When I talked to the doctor and she told me the process was irreversible, I knew there were two people I had to rescue; Jennifer and you. Since I couldn't change you back to the way you were before, I tried to do the next best thing. To give you a chance to live your previous male life through someone else."

"So that's why you brought Keith back?"

"Yes. He doesn't have your old memories but everything else is the old you. By giving him your input you can turn him into the way you wanted to be. In a nutshell, you can live your life as Keith through him much like your mother was trying to do to you. I know it's not as good as the real thing but it might make your life more bearable."

"And what about the person inside Keith now?" Cynthia asked.

"He is of course aware of everything that's going on, but as long as you have control over him he can't do anything about it anymore than you could when your mother was controlling you. I don't think it will be as painful for him as it was on you or Jennifer. I mean, he's still a male and we gave him another 40+
years to live in a comfortable environment. He deserves a lot worse but that can't be helped."

"And Cynthia?"

"I know you still feel guilty about her death Keith. From what the other Keith told me, it was total accident. Okay, maybe bad judgment on your part but not murder. However, you have a chance to make up for that bad decision by living her life. I don't mean doing everything as she would do. I mean living your life in a way that respects her and at the same time, is your own path. The only other option you have is surgery to make you a male again but to be honest, I don't think you'd be very happy with the results."

Cynthia turned and stared out at ducks in the pond. "Thank you Tom. I think I know what to do now." She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and they started walking back to the house.

"There is something I want to give you. Call it your payment for freeing me from my mother." She placed a key into his hand.

"What's this?" Tom asked curiously.

"It's the key to Sarah Jensen's house. You see, after her death she willed everything she owned to my mother and me. Now that my mother is gone it's all mine. I don't need the money, I have plenty right now and in a few months I'll have even more. So I'm giving everything, her entire estate, to you. It's going to take at least a year to get everything settled and that'll mean a few trips to Salt Lake City but I'm told its worth a few million. I want you and Jennifer to have it. Heck, I don't think I could stand going back in that cursed house again."

"Thank you...Keith or is it Cynthia?"

"Cynthia. That's who I'm going to be from now on."

"Thank you Cynthia." They went back inside the house to be with the other guests.

***

Sox Anderson sat on the couch drinking a beer and watching an afternoon baseball game on TV. He didn't know who was playing and he didn't really care. Nothing in life mattered to him anymore. His wife, and it was a term he used only for convenience, was in the kitchen washing dishes or doing some other useless chore to pass the time. They didn't talk much these days. Once he had loved his wife so much that it hurt to be away from her for more than a day but Jennifer's death had changed all that. Now they were both wrapped up in their grief; both angry about losing the last of their three, beautiful children, and they had no one to take the anger and sorrow out on except each other.

His drinking hadn't helped. Sox was an alcoholic who, with the help of a local AA group, had worked his way out of the gutter years ago. Now he was drinking himself right back there and he just didn't care. For the briefest of moments it helped him forget the pain he felt every day. There was a knock at the door. Sox grumbled to himself about having to get up and answered it. It had to be a stranger, most likely a salesman. None of their former friends visited them anymore. At the door was a tall, good looking man who was nicely dressed.

"What do you want?" Sox inquired rudely.

"Mr. Anderson? My name is Theodore Jones. I'm a private investigator and I've been hired to contact you."

"What for?" Sox asked. TJ noticed the man seemed to be a little impaired and it was still early.

"It's about your daughter, Jennifer, Mr. Anderson."

"My daughter's DEAD Mr. Jones," Sox told him bitterly. "She was killed in a car crash last year."

"I know that Mr. Anderson, I'm not here about the accident. This concerns another matter. Can I come in please? I think your wife should hear what I have to say. It concerns her as well."

Sox made a motion for TJ to come in, almost spilling his beer in the process. The living room was a mess. There were beer cans and dirty plates scattered over the place. Mrs. Anderson walked into the room to see who her husband had let in. TJ observed her swollen eyes, unkempt hair, and the sorrowful expression on her face, all signs of the deep grief she was suffering.

"Sit down," Sox said as he plopped clumsily on the couch and reached into the cooler to open up a fresh beer. "You want one?"

"No thanks, it's still too early for me. The reason why I'm here Mr. and Mrs. Anderson is that I've been asked to invite you out to Seattle to meet with my client."

"Who's that?" Sox asked.

"His name is Tom McClain. He would like to meet with you both tomorrow afternoon."

"Why?"

"I don't know Mr. Anderson," TJ answered truthfully. "He didn't tell me what it was about other than it had something to do with your daughter, Jennifer. He did want me to tell you that if you go, you wouldn't regret it. I have two first class plane tickets in my pocket with your names on them. There'll be a Limo waiting to pick you up at the airport and drive you to where you need to go. And," TJ pulled out a wad of money from his pocket, "$1,000 in spending cash. Think of this as a free vacation Mr. and Mrs. Anderson."

Mrs. Anderson didn't say anything. She just stared at the ground in silence, wrapped up in her grief. Mr. Anderson looked over at his wife and then back at TJ. "Are the drinks included on this flight?"

"Yes sir," replied TJ. "But I would recommend you don't overdo it. You're going to need a clear mind when you get there."

"How do we get to the airport?" Sox asked.

"I'll pick you up in the morning and drive you there myself. My car isn't as nice as a Limo but you'll find it rides nice. Once you get checked in I'll give you the tickets and money and then you'll be on your way. Any questions?" Mr. Anderson shook his head while Mrs. Anderson continued to stare dejectedly down at the floor.

"Good. Then I'll inform my client you are coming and will pick you up tomorrow at 11am. See you then." TJ let himself out and walked back to the car.

`I wonder why Tom wants to meet with these people so badly,' TJ asked himself as he got into his car and drove off.

Chapter 19 -- Tearful reunions

The flight to Seattle had taken almost 6 hours. No sooner had the Anderson's disembarked from the plane than they spotted a uniformed man holding up a sign with their names on it. Mr. Anderson identified themselves to the driver who led them to the limo. As the driver went back inside to collect their bags, Sox rubbed his hands together in anticipation.

"I've heard they keep these things well stocked. Let's see what we have here," he said eagerly to his wife. To his disappointment, instead of finding beer and other types of alcohol in the refrigerator, Sox found it loaded with fruit juice and pop.

"What the HELL IS THIS?" Sox asked furiously. He waited impatiently for the driver to come back and demanded to know where all the alcohol was.

"I'm sorry Mr. Anderson, but Mr. McClain ordered a nonalcoholic car for you. Please sit back and relax, we have a 45 minute drive ahead of us."

"Rotten BASTARD!" Sox said to his wife. "I dislike the man already and we haven't even met him."

His wife didn't say anything. She was staring out the window of the limo at a young woman who was trying her best to get three young children into a taxi.

"That was me 15 years ago," she whispered to herself. Mrs. Anderson couldn't understand why God had punished her this way? Why had he taken all of her good children away from her? What had she done do deserve this? Hadn't she been a good Catholic mother to them? Hadn't she raised her kids the best she could by his words? So why then had God decided to punish her so?

Ever since Jennifer's death, Mrs. Anderson had asked herself these questions over and over again. After almost a year it had taken its toll on her. While her husband fell into his own deep depression and started drinking heavily again; she wrapped herself up in a blanket of guilt and grief. The love they once had between them disappeared as suddenly as Jennifer's life had slipped away that horrible night. She didn't hate her husband; she just didn't have any love left in her to give. Every part of her body was filled with a wall of grief and anger so high that it touched heaven. Only God could tear down that wall and he wasn't listening to her.

The drive was quiet and uneventful. Sox grumbled a little more about the lack of alcohol but for the most part the Anderson's didn't speak. The reality was, they didn't know what to say to each other. When the driver pulled up into an apartment complex, Sox was surprised at what he saw. He was expecting to be driven to a big, fancy house away from everything, not some middle-class apartment building.

"Why did you stop driver?" Sox asked.

"We're here," the driver told him as he got out of the car to retrieve their bags.

"You have to be kidding, check the address again. This Mr. McClain hired a PI to find us, flew us out first class, and had you pick us up in a limo. All this took more money than we both make in a month. Does this look like a place where someone with that much money would live?"

The driver just smiled back. "I'm sorry Mr. Anderson, but they just pay me to drive the car. I don't get to pick the destination. If you will follow me please."

He put their bags on the cart and led them to the apartment number as he had been instructed. A few people stared out at the Anderson's, wondering why someone who drove around in a limo would be stopping there. Tom was already outside waiting for them when they showed up at his door.

"Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, I'm very pleased to meet you." Tom reached out and shook their hands. "Just leave the bags here driver, I'll take them in myself." The driver did as he was told and left.

"What's the meaning of this Mr. McClain?" Sox asked in an angry tone. "We've never met and I'm sure you didn't know my daughter. So why did you drag us all the way out here?"

"If you come inside I'll explain everything Mr. Anderson. Please." Tom gave them a smile and motioned them inside. Mr. Anderson walked in followed by his wife who didn't make eye contact. He was unimpressed with what he saw. The apartment didn't have a lot of fine things. In fact, Sox didn't see anything to suggest this man had wealth of any kind.

"Okay Mr. McClain, we're here. Now what is it you want to talk to us about?"

"It's a little complicated Mr. Anderson," Tom started out. It was then that Mrs. Anderson saw a young woman standing in the kitchen doorway staring at them. She couldn't believe her eyes.

"JENNIFER?" she cried out. "Is it you?"

"Mrs. Anderson..." Jennifer's lip started shimmering and tears formed in her eyes. "Mom...mommy?"

"Oh my God Jennifer." Mrs. Anderson flung her arms around the young woman and hugged her tightly.

"Oh Jennifer," she said sobbing, "they told me you had been killed. Oh GOD...I'VE MISSED YOU SO MUCH."

Tom became a choked up watching the reunion. Mr. Anderson's reaction was a little different. He grabbed Tom by the arm and pulled him close.

"Oh right McClain, what the HELL is going on here?"

"I suggest we sit down Mr. Anderson. This is going to take a while."

***

Tom spent 20 minutes explaining to Mr. Anderson about everything that had happened. When he finished he looked over at Jennifer and Mrs. Anderson sitting in the kitchen talking, laughing and hugging. Tracy was in there also, showing off a picture she had drawn (at Jennifer's request) for her new grandmother. Mr. Anderson just sat there dumbfounded.

"So, that isn't really Jennifer," he stated, his voice reflecting the disappointment that he really felt. "The person sitting in the next room is just a cheap copy of the original."

"She's as real as you want her to be Mr. Anderson. It depends on how much you let her into your life."

"My daughter is lying in a grave in Florida Mr. McClain. This...this person isn't her and never will be. My." his voice cracked a little with emotion, "my little girl is dead."

"Is that why you started drinking again Mr. Anderson? To hide from the pain by using the bottle as a shield?" Tom saw his words hit their mark.

"What the hell do you know about PAIN McClain? Have you ever lost a child before? I HAVE! THREE of them!" Sox pounded his fist into his other hand. "Do you have ANY idea what that pain feels like?"

Tom nodded and spoke. "When I was four my parents, older brother and my Uncle Mike went to a movie while I was left at home with a baby-sitter. I begged them to let me go but my mother told me I was too young and it would be well past my bedtime before they got back. Sometime after I fell asleep, I was awakened by a social woman who was picking me up out of my bed. They took me to a house I had never been to before and a few days later I wound up at St. Mary's orphanage. I kept asking the nuns where my mother and father were but they wouldn't tell me. Finally, one nun told me my parents, brother, and Uncle Mike were in heaven with Jesus. Years later I found out they had been killed in a car accident by a drunk driver. He survived to face trial but everyone important in my life was gone."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know." Sox said soberly.

"Please, there is more. A few weeks later Al was brought in. He was only two and a half at the time and a drunk driver had also killed his parents. Despite our age difference, he became a replacement for my lost family. When he disappeared, it was like losing my family all over again except this time I was old enough to understand what was going on. When I found Al, I was so thrilled it didn't matter to me that he was no longer a man. We may not be related by blood Mr. Anderson, but I love Al Parker as if he were my own brother. I would give up my life to save his, just like you would have given up your life to save your children. He means that much to me."

"Okay, I understand what you are trying to say but this is different. The person in there doesn't have any of Jennifer's memories. Nothing about the trips we use to take together, or her first prom date, or the dollhouse I made for her fifth birthday. It's all a blank"

"Yes Mr. Anderson, you're right. She doesn't have any of those good memories...or the bad ones either. She doesn't remember the pain of losing a brother and sister. She doesn't remember the times you would come home drunk yelling at your wife. She doesn't remember the last moments of her short life or the pain it caused the both of you. Jennifer has been born again, just as you remember her before the accident, but without any of her memories -- good or bad. You have a chance to build some good memories with her Mr. Anderson, starting today."

"DAMN IT, it's not enough for her to look and act like Jennifer. Can't you understand that?"

Tom took a deep breath and played his trump card. "Mr. Anderson, if your daughter had survived the accident but it had left her without any of her memories would you turn your back on her?"

"Of course not," Sox answered angrily. "She would still be my daughter."

"Why?" Tom asked point-blank.

"Because, she would still be my flesh and blood."

"Exactly my point. The person in there is your flesh and blood, right down to the DNA. The trouble you're having is that Jennifer; the original one that is, was killed. But that's the only difference between the two, other than the lack of memories. The person in that kitchen is Jennifer Lynnette Anderson, your flesh and blood...your daughter. Let me ask you this. How many times did you ask God to bring her back after her death?"

"More than I can remember but not half as much as my wife," Sox replied sadly.

"Mr. Anderson, your prayers have just been answered. Your daughter IS back. Not many people get a second chance like that."

Sox looked like a defeated man. "When the police came to the house and told me she was...dead, I didn't believe them. It was only after identifying her body that I knew they were telling me the truth. I felt so...so much pain. I mean...how much can one man 'take'. Losing one child is hard, two is like living in a nightmare but three." He closed his eyes for moment to fight back the tears.

"Jennifer was our youngest child and my favorite. She was always so pleasant and nice to everyone. She was one of those people who you wanted to be around all the time, you know what I mean? She brought so much love and joy into our life. Then she was gone and my...no, our joy, my wife Norma and I, was gone. I didn't see much point in going on so I started drinking. It took the pain away, at least for a little while. But it always came back when I sobered up."

Mr. Anderson struggled to find his next words. "Now you show me someone who looks like her, with a new granddaughter no less, and tell me it's my daughter back from the grave. The news is a little hard to swallow."

"I know it is Mr. Anderson but you have two choices as I see it. One of them is to stop drinking, get back on the wagon, and start picking up the love and joy you lost when Jennifer died. Learn how to start living again."

"And the other?" Sox asked.

"Go back home and do what you were doing before we met. Continue to drink yourself into an early grave and toss almost 25 years of a strong, happy marriage out the window. Be alone with nothing inside you except for the pain of an empty life snapping at your heels until you do physically die. Emotionally you already have died, both you and your wife. Mr. Anderson, I'm offering you life, please take it. PLEASE!"

Sox stared at his wife and their re-born daughter. It was the first time since the accident he had seen his wife happy. No, Mr. McClain was right, living. His wife was alive again.

"I need to meet her," he told Tom. The two men got up and walked into the kitchen where Jennifer was sitting. Sox stared at her for a moment, unsure of what he was supposed to do next. Then he opened up his arms. Jennifer stood and fell into them.

"I've missed you baby," he whispered as tears formed in his eyes. He felt the love and joy of being around her returning. "God how I missed you. Please don't leave me again."

"I won't daddy," Jennifer said with tears in her eyes. "I want to stay with you from now on." Mrs. Anderson stood up and put her arms around the two of them. Her eyes were also filled with tears of love and joy. Tom turned to Tracy who was standing there looking a little bewildered.

"From every tragedy there is always good that comes out of it Gerald. You may want to remember that." The little girl smiled but Tom was sure that wasn't the reaction she really wanted to give him.

***

That night Tom took Mr. Anderson to his first AA in meeting in years. It did him a lot of good. Afterwards Sox left with a renewed interest in life and the strength to stop drinking, at least until his next meeting.

Later on Sox had a private conversation with his wife and told her everything he and Tom had talked about concerning Jennifer. It made no difference to her. While Mrs. Anderson knew this person was missing her daughter's memories, she still had all her traits and mannerisms. As far as Mrs. Anderson was concerned, this was her daughter Jennifer given back to them.

Chapter 20 - Jennifer Lynnette Anderson

The next morning the five of them drove to the airport and boarded a plane for Salt Lake City. It was, what Tom figured to be, the last step on Jennifer's road to a complete recovery. While Tracy and her new grandmother played a travel game they had picked up at the airport, Jennifer stared outside the plane window thinking about what was to come. The anticipation inside her grew.

Far below she picked out an eastbound freight traveling on the same railroad tracks she had used to get to Salt Lake City. How long ago that trip seemed. Now she was heading back again only this time she wasn't alone; this time she going back with people who cared about her.

When they arrived, Tom rented a van and drove everyone out to the house. It looked the same to Jennifer as when she had last left it weeks earlier. Tom parked the van in front of the house and everyone got out to go inside. But as Jennifer moved closer to the front door she began to panic.

`What's wrong with me?' she asked herself. `I'm safe now. They can't hurt me anymore.' But she didn't feel safe. All the fear and hopelessness she had felt while being trapped inside this luxurious prison started to come back to her. She stopped a few steps from the door in a semi-frozen panic.

"Are you okay Jennifer?" Tom asked in a concerned voice.

She gave her friend a weary smile and nodded. She was far from being okay but this had to be done. If she didn't face this fear now she would never be free of it. With all her strength she forced herself to walk through the front door.

They spent a few minutes looking at some of the items in the living room before heading back to Sarah Jensen's lab. The room was completely empty now. Even the desk the doctor had worked at was gone. Tom guessed her bosses had hired someone to move everything out of the house that belonged to them after she died. He wasn't too concerned about what they might find; he had ordered Dr. Jensen to destroy all information on Jennifer and Al Parker before they had left.

Jennifer noticed a few other things missing, a lamp, some jewelry and a few other odds and ends but most of the personal stuff had been left behind. It seemed so odd to think that all this stuff belonged to her and Tom now.

"Look at all these fine things," Sox said while admiring a wooden mantle clock above the fireplace. "What do you plan to do with it all?"

"Sell most of it I guess," Tom replied. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Jennifer leave and walk back to her old room. Mrs. Anderson also saw her go. The two-made eye contact and Tom read her mind. She saw the pain starting to surface inside her new daughter. She gave him a wink to tell him everything was all right, that she would take care of it.

`Mrs. Anderson, you are one amazing lady,' Tom told himself.

***

Jennifer stared at the surroundings of her old bedroom. There was her bed, the place where she had not only lost her female virginity, but her human dignity as well.

She opened up the closet and started going through the clothes she had been forced to wear. Some she would keep but most would be thrown away when she found the strength to do so. On the vanity table was her jewelry and makeup, lying there in a neat, organized order. A strange feeling came over her as if they were calling out to her to try them on.

Suddenly Jennifer felt a deep sense of dread as reality hit her hard. She may be free to walk out of this house anytime she wanted too but she would never be free of this female imprisonment. It was a LIFE-SENTENCE!

The thought was too painful for Jennifer to bear. Quickly she turned and left the room to escape how she was feeling. But in her mind she kept hearing the words, "life sentence" repeated over and over again.

The others were in the kitchen fixing lunch when she walked back into the living room, all except for Tracy that is. She was sitting on the floor playing with a game her grandmother had given her. She looked up at Jennifer and a small smile appeared on her face.

"You bastard!" Jennifer hissed at the little girl. "You did this to me. You and that crazy bitch you used to work for. I hate you. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME? I HATE YOU FOR WHAT YOU DID TO ME."

Tracy just continued to sit there and smiled as if she was totally unaware that Jennifer's anger was directed at her. The fact was Tracy couldn't have reacted any other way. But Jennifer was too angry to remember that Gerald was now going through the same hell she was. She felt Tracy was laughing at her; that her smile was genuine and she was expressing her joy over what they had done to her. Jennifer's hand tightened into a fist. She was going to teach this asshole a lesson, Al Parker style.

"Jennifer, are you okay?" The voice startled her back into reality. Mrs. Anderson was standing in the kitchen doorway watching her moments very carefully. Tom and Sox peered out from behind her to see what was going on.

Jennifer just stared at them in silence. They didn't understand; they couldn't understand. They had no idea how it felt to have your gender switched against your will; what it was like to be forced into someone else's body and life. Jennifer thought she was passed all this but now it was crystal clear she wasn't. She didn't accept her situation anymore now than the first day Dr. Jensen had changed her. She was still trapped and miserable. The ex-maid tried to say something but couldn't find the words.

`What good would it do, they wouldn't understand anyway!' She looked back at Tracy who was playing with her game again. `I have to get out of here before I really do lose it.'

But there was still one more place she needed to visit before she could leave. That was where Al Parker, had died. Without saying a word, Jennifer turned and headed to the garage. Mrs. Anderson recognized the troubled look on her face. Fortunately she knew how to deal with problems like this from raising three kids of her own.

"You men folk stay here and take care of Tracy. I'm going to have a little talk with Jennifer."

Tom smiled and nodded his head while Sox looked at his wife in puzzlement. Mrs. Anderson smiled back. She knew Tom would explain it to him.

***

The area where the car should have been parked was clean. There wasn't even a grease spot on the cold, concrete floor to mark where the car had been. Jennifer bent down and touched the area. A wave of sadness and regret came over her.

`If only I could go back in time and change all this,' she said to herself. `I could be Al Parker again. I could marry Sally and have kids and...and be a man once more.'

Jennifer felt a good cry coming on again. Damn it, how she hated the way these female hormones made her react during these times. Al Parker never cried but she did now at the drop of a hat. Worse, she usually felt better about it afterwards. Even now, when she had control over her own emotions, she still didn't act the way she used to when she was Al Parker.

"Who am I now?" Jennifer whispered to herself. "What am I? What am I going to do with my life?" How she wished she knew the answers to these questions.

"This is where it all happened, isn't it?" someone asked her. "This is where they changed you."

"Yes!" Jennifer answered bitterly as she turned to face Mrs. Anderson. "This is where I died. This is the place were I became...became trapped in this new body. This is were my life ended."

"Jennifer." Mrs. Anderson hesitated for a moment. "Al...Please sit down next to me. I know you may not be feeling up to it but I need to speak with you for a moment." Jennifer did as she was told while trying to fight off the wave of depression coming over her.

"I know you see this as a horrible place Al," Mrs. Anderson began, "and you have a right to feel that way. I can't begin to imagine how you must have felt when this happened or how you feel now. I'm so sorry all this happened to you." She put her arm around her daughter to comfort her.

"I know this sounds selfish Al, but when I look at this place I don't see sadness; I see great joy instead. You see, to me this place isn't where Al Parker died, it's where Jennifer was re-born back to me."

"Mrs. Anderson...I'm not...I'm not really Jennifer," she sniff. "All my memories are of Al Parker, not Jennifer's. I just...I just had to call you, to contact you. It was part of the learning response I received from your daughter's DNA and it was driving me nuts. I was climbing the walls not doing something what I felt I should be doing."

"I know Al, I know," Mrs. Anderson said in an understanding voice. "But will you listen to an old woman for a moment please. When Jennifer...died, it was like the entire world collapsed on top of my husband and I. All of our dreams of seeing Jennifer getting married and having a son-in-law to share time with and having grandchildren we could spoil; they all vanished when she was killed. It was hard on both of us when our son Steve died followed later on by our other daughter, Linda, but at least we had Jennifer to hold on to. When she died...so did we." Mrs. Anderson took a deep breath and Jennifer could see how painful this was for her.

"It's hard to lose a parent," Mrs. Anderson continued. "My mother and father have been dead for over 10 years now. It still hurts knowing they are gone. But losing a child, someone that grew inside you, someone you raised and took care all those years...that's so different. Your parents are a link to the past but your children...they are your future. Seeing them die is like seeing your future die as well."

"I'm sorry Mrs. Anderson. I'm sure it must have been very painful dealing with their deaths."

"It has been Al. It's been so very hard. You see, after Jennifer's death Sox started drinking because he couldn't face the future without her. As for me, I gave up on life. I didn't see any point in doing stuff like taking care of the house, visiting friends...or trying to be a woman. I kept asking God why this had happened; what had I done wrong to deserve this?" A small smile appeared on Mrs. Anderson's face.

"But when I saw you and learned how you came to be...I realized that God wasn't punishing me at all. Jennifer died at the hands of a drunk driver, not by God. You see...I thought it was something I did and it had nothing to do with my actions at all. I know God didn't take her away from me. But I do believe he gave her back to me through you. Let me explain why.

"Tom had a nice long talk with the doctor while you were with Gerald. He found out that Dr. Jensen had over 3,000 female samples in Jennifer's age group alone to pick from. She could have used any one of them but out of all the samples she picked my daughters DNA. Fate? No, I don't believe it was. I think God did it for a reason. I think he knew we needed Jennifer back, even if it was only her outward appearance and not her memories."

"I'm not...I'm not so sure Mrs. Anderson. I prayed for God to let me break free when I was being...being." Jennifer couldn't say the word "rape" in front of her.

"I know Al, I know. I didn't want any of my children to die either. But bad things do happen, even to good people. Now, can I ask you a personal question?" Jennifer nodded. "Did you ever ask God to give you new parents after your father and mother were killed?"

Jennifer lowered her head. "All the time. I don't remember my real parents; I was too young when the accident happened. After the social worker brought me to Saint Mary's I had a hard time adjusting without them. I felt so lost and abandoned."

Jennifer looked up at Mrs. Anderson and smiled slightly. "I remember there was this older kid who was picking on me one day. I was sitting there crying and telling him to leave me alone but he wouldn't. That's when Tom showed up. He walked over and pushed the older kid away. He protected and kept an eye on me after that. From that moment on he became the older brother I never had and the family that never adopted me.

"Tom was there for me even after he left St. Mary's. I still remember the thrill I got looking up in the stands during the football games and seeing him sitting there. He could have been doing ten thousand other things on a Friday night but instead he was there, watching me play and cheering me on. I use to ask God every night to find a family that would adopt both Tom and I. A family that would love us and let us to grow up together. But he never answered my prayer."

"You're wrong Al!" Mrs. Anderson responded firmly. "He did give you a family...if you still want one. Sox and I, we want to be your parents Al. We want to be a part of your life and take care of you and watch over you. We want to be there when you get married and have kids and share in your joy and happiness. We want to be a part of your life and Tom's. I'm sorry we're a little late," she added with a tearful smile. "But I think you need us just much as we need you."

Jennifer turned and looked into Mrs. Anderson's eyes. They were filled with love and kindness. The one thing Al had prayed for all his life was coming true. Parent's who would love him and Tom as their very own.

`No, that isn't right,' Jennifer said to herself. `She really was "their" child. Al Parker didn't exist anymore. She really was Jennifer Lynnette Anderson.' How easy it was for her to say that name now.

The two ladies hugged each other as the tears started flowing from their eyes. Each tear released the demons that both women had struggled with for so long. Jennifer and the Anderson's had come full circle.

Epilog -- One year later...

Tom sat back in his chair by the pool reading the newspaper and soaking up the warm, afternoon sun. His stocks were doing well for a third month in a row. If this kept up his investment would double by the end of the year.

He put down the paper and watched Mr. Anderson building a playhouse for Tracy near the corner of the yard. She was buzzing around him in excitement (obviously under the suggestion of Jennifer) asking him to explain every detail of what he was doing. Tom was surprised Sox was able to get anything done under these conditions. However, he could see his father-in-law was enjoying her company. He just smiled and answered all of her pointless questions while continuing to work. Sox even took the time to let Sally hammer in a few nails. Jennifer came out of the house and handed Tom a glass of Lemonade.

"Tracy looks so happy, doesn't she?" she whispered.

"Thanks honey!" Tom took the drink from her. "I think they both look happy. I haven't seen Sox smile this much since our wedding. He really enjoys being around small kids. Speaking of which, I should be doing this for you."

"Oh, don't worry. You'll get your chance in my next trimester," Jennifer said holding onto her slightly fattened stomach.

They hadn't even been married six months yet and already Jennifer was pregnant with their first child. It hadn't taken long for Tom to realize he was in love with Jennifer and she in love with him. At first the situation was awkward but there was no stopping the attraction, both physical and emotional, between them. Soon they were past that awkwardness stage and love bloomed between them.

After deciding to get married they discussed going to Las Vegas for a quick and simple ceremony. But when the Anderson's found out about their plan they had other ideas. They insisted their daughter was going to have a traditional Catholic marriage in a real church. So when the day came, Jennifer was marched down the isle by her father wearing the same wedding gown her mother had worn 25 years before.

Most of the people they invited were those who knew Tom (it was too risky to invite anyone else). Cynthia was there as Jennifer's maid of honor and Kevin stood in as Tom's best man. Even though Jennifer really didn't want to go through all the fuss, she and her mom had a ball getting everything ready. By the time her wedding day rolled around they had grown very close to each other. And getting married on the Anderson's 25th wedding anniversary made the day that much more special to the four of them. Jennifer didn't think anything could top that experience until she learned she was pregnant.

Prior to their marriage, Tom had purchased some land and contracted to have a couple of houses built on it -- one for them and the other for their new parents. The Anderson's sold their home in Florida along with most of their old furniture and furnished their new place with stuff they had received from Sarah Jensen's old house. Tom had been able to sell the house much quicker than he expected for a nice amount.

Mr. Anderson continued to attend AA meetings and had been on the wagon for over a year now. Mrs. Anderson in the meantime was enjoying her new role as a grandmother for Tracy and old role as a mother; spending time teaching Jennifer the things she needed to know. She also joined a woman's group at church and had made several close friends. This kept her busy most of the day. Both Mr. and Mrs. Anderson were enjoying a new lease on life.

"Where's Mom?" Tom asked.

"Fixing cookies. I was going to have Tracy help her out but I think dad's having too much fun with her right now so I'll do it. See you later babe." She gave Tom a quick wink and walked away.

Tom lay back in his chair and smiled at his good fortune. It was strange how all this came about from such tragic beginnings. But in the end everything had all worked out. Dr. Jensen and Gerald had received their just deserts for what they did to his friend, Al Parker. Cynthia Bennett was now free and no longer a prisoner of her mother. She still had some issues to work out as Cynthia but she was strong and Tom knew everything would work out okay for her. Klein Walker, now Keith Bennett, was gone and no longer a menace to society. And as for Jennifer and himself -- they now had what they had always wanted; someone they could call mom and dad. Real parents.

`But it was the Anderson's who were the biggest winners out of all of us,' Tom thought. 'Through these strange chain of events their lives had been given back to them. How could anything top that?'

He smiled and then went back to reading his paper.

***

"She's definitely pregnant," the agent told her. He handed the thick file over to her. "From the doctor's report everything looks fine."

"Thanks, I'll let you know if I need anything else." The man nodded and walked out of the office leaving the woman alone. He wondered why she was so interested in this young lady.

The woman glanced at the file briefly. She didn't remember much about her past life, only the last few days of it. She put the file in the drawer for safekeeping. Now wasn't the time to think about it, there were more important jobs she had to work on right now. Sarah Jensen turned to her computer and started typing in some more notes.

END

up
25 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well...

kristina l s's picture

It winds about a bit and covers quite a lot of ground in the process. The ending is just a little pat to fit with the overall story maybe... But then the bad guys are still out there, so... storm clouds on the horizon I suspect.

Despite slight misgivings it is a great tale, well told and plenty of emotion. Worth investing a bit of time... and of course there's a lot more to come.

Kristina