A Ghost Of A Chance 08

Printer-friendly version

 © July 2012

Part Eight of Ten

Chapter Fifteen: Easy as riding a bike

    “What do you mean you can’t ride a bike?” Spirit asked Chloe as she stood looking at the bike now leaning up against the side of the shed where it had been until Chloe fished it out ten minutes ago.

     “I’ve never owned one, so how could I learn to ride one?” Chloe snapped back. “Stacy is going to laugh at me and then not want to be my friend anymore.” Chloe snuffled as she started to get upset.

     “She won’t do that sis, but let’s see if I can help you get the hang of it enough to get from here to Stacy’s house.”

    Spirit was hoping that the memories she’d left Chloe with would help her work out the finer points of staying on a bicycle. Chloe was a little wobbly to begin with, but she was soon able to do circles around the yard as she grinned at how easy it turned out to be.

     “I’m doing it, I’m riding a bike!” Chloe shouted excitedly as she went around and around.

     “I’m glad to hear it; otherwise it would be hard to cycle it back to my house.” Stacy said from the end of the driveway where she was sat on her own bicycle. “You make it sound like you’ve never ridden one before.” Stacy added with a puzzled look.

     “It’s just been a long time since I last went out on it.” Chloe lied.

     “Looks like someone was getting some use out of it though.” Stacy said as she peddled closer and took a closer look at the mountain bike Chloe was sat on. “It’s a nice bike by the way.” Stacy added looking impressed.

    Spirit had been a keen cyclist when she was alive, and would go out on rides with her father all the time before he moved to America. Chloe couldn’t really say any of that though, so she just decided to change the subject all together.

     “Do you want to have a look around before we make our way over to your place?” Chloe asked as she got off her bike and leaned it up against the wall and then waited for Stacy to do the same.

    Valarie and Ashley were sat having a coffee when they saw Chloe enter the kitchen through the back door with Stacy following close behind.

     “Morning Miss Ashcroft, oh hello.” Stacy said when she saw Ashley sat there smiling at her. Stacy hadn’t met Ashley yet, so she couldn’t call her by name.

     “Hello Stacy. I’d like you to meet my sister Ashley. Ashley this is Stacy, Chloe’s friend.” Valarie said as she did the introductions. “And please call me Val.” She added with a smile.

     “Hello Stacy. It’s nice to finally meet the person Chloe won’t shut up talking about.” Ashley giggled with a dramatic roll of the eyes.

     “Hello Ashley, it’s nice to meet you.” Stacy said sounding very polite as she stepped over and held out her hand to shake Ashley’s.

     “It’s very nice to meet you too Stacy.” Ashley smiled as she reached out and shook Stacy’s hand.

     “Is it okay if I show Stacy my room mummy?” Chloe asked.

     “Yes, but please take your shoes off before going upstairs.” Valarie said, not wanting the two girl trampling mud all over her new carpets.

    Chloe led the way up to her room and Stacy gasped when she saw the view Chloe had from her window. Stacy was soon distracted though by the meowing of the two kittens that had been asleep on the window sill until they heard Stacy gasp.

     “I love the view you have of the cliff and the sea.” Stacy said as she started fussing the kittens as they fought for her attention.

    Chloe was still having trouble liking the view due to the bad dreams she’d kept having as Spirit tried to get her to help save their mum, but watching Stacy play with the kittens was a nice sight. Chloe showed Stacy the rest of the house and then they left to ride back to Stacy’s so she could show Chloe the way for future use, and also so they could go riding again.

    The two girls became even closer over the next couple of days as they spent more and more time together. As far as Chloe could tell, Stacy hadn’t worked out she was anything other than a girl, just like her. They would go riding every day and then spend time mucking out the stables and putting fresh hay in them and brushing down the horses while feeding them the odd mint here and there. Jennifer turned up to see Tinkerbell and they all went out together for a ride.

*****

    Chloe was all set to go over to Stacy’s on the Friday morning when the phone rang and it was Dr Kaufman to say he’d got the test results back, and he felt it safe to start Chloe on a small dose of female hormones and get her started on the path towards womanhood. He was also going to give Chloe some blockers to stop any production of male hormones her body might be producing, not that there was any sign Chloe had started in the first place.

     “I better call Stacy and let her know I won’t be over today.” Chloe said looking excited about going to see the doctor and then starting her course of pills.

     “Just let Stacy know that you’ll be a little later getting over there.” Valarie said. “I can drop you off after we’ve finished with the doctor.” She added as she walked Chloe up to her room, so she could get dressed.

*****

    Chloe was quick to get out the car when they got to the doctors house, and she was stood waiting for Valarie at the door jumping up and down on the spot like it would make her mother move faster, not that it did.

    Robert led them into his office and then he explained everything to Valarie and Chloe, not that Chloe was taking much of it in, other than it would help her became a real girl. Twenty minutes later they left the surgery with a prescription for the pills Chloe needed. Robert had told them to use the pharmacy at the ASDA superstore, as it had a much bigger turn over than the one in the high street in town, and less chance of people talking about the pills Chloe was going to be taking.

    Chloe waited in the car while Valarie went into the store and got the prescription sorted, and then she returned to the car with the pills and a bottle of water so Chloe could take her first ones for the day. Chloe looked at the pills in her hands and smiled with pride just before taking a sip of water and then popping the pills into her mouth and swallowing.

     “I don’t feel anything yet.” Chloe said as she looked down at her body expecting to see some sort of a change right away.

     “They don’t work that fast sweetie.” Valarie giggled. “It could be months before you see anything happening, but things are going to be happening though” Valarie smiled as she cupped Chloe’s head in her hands.

     “You’ll soon have all the boys chasing you sis.” Spirit giggled.

     “I’m too young to be thinking about boys.” Chloe said with her nose in the air. “I’ll settle for getting through school without anyone finding out my secrets, the talking to ghosts and the fact I have boy bits.” Chloe explained her worries. “I’m not even sure I like boys in that way.”

     “You’re too young to be thinking about boys anyway.” Valarie said; glad to hear Chloe say what she did. Valarie didn’t want any trouble with Chloe exposing her secret because she had a crush on some hormone driven boy looking for his first time with any girl he can find willing to go with him.

    Valarie was soon dropping Chloe off at Stacy’s and telling her to call when she was ready to go home and she would come over and pick her up, due to Chloe not having her bike.

     “Hey Chloe!” Stacy shouted as she came out the house and ran over to where Chloe was stood waving her mother goodbye. “Is everything okay? I was worried when I got your call to say you had to go see the doc.” Stacy added looking worried for her best friend.

     “I’m fine.” Chloe smiled. “Just some changes to my medicines.” Chloe added. She’d already told Stacy she had some medical problems that meant she wouldn’t be doing sports at school. “Stacy had let the subject drop when she saw that Chloe didn’t like talking about it.

    Chloe and Stacy were soon out on the trail riding their horses, and having a good time like they had done all week. Chloe could see a man stood waiting for them when they returned a couple of hours later. Chloe had no idea who the man was until Stacy started shouting to him as she waved.

     “Hi daddy!” Stacy shouted.

     “Hello honey. Did you have a good ride?” He asked as he took hold of Buttercup’s rains. He looked a little nervous about getting to close to Shadow.

     “Yes it was a lot of fun.” Stacy grinned. “Daddy, I’d like you to meet Chloe, Chloe this is my father.”

     “Nice to meet you Mr Williams.” Chloe smiled nervously.

     “Please call me Tom. And the pleasure is all mine Chloe.” Tom smiled “I can’t believe the change in Be... I mean Shadow.” Tom added remembering to correct himself at the last minute.

     “I think he’s a beautiful horse Tom, and I’m so glad you let me have him.” Chloe grinned as she patted the side of Shadow’s neck. If Shadow had been a cat, Chloe was sure he’d have been purring as did it.

     “Shadow is one of the reasons that I’ve come out to talk with the two of you.” Tom said getting a worried look from Chloe. “Don’t look so worried Chloe dear, it’s nothing bad I need to talk about.” Tom added with a warm friendly smile.

     “What do you want to talk to us about then daddy?” Stacy asked.

     “I got a call today from Becky’s mother, she said that Becky fell down some stairs while she was away on holiday and broke her leg, which means she won’t be able to help out in the stables when the other horses return, so I was wondering if Chloe might like to have a part time job helping out around the place when she’s not at school? I’ll throw in free lodging and feed for Shadow as well.” Tom said when he saw that Chloe was still thinking about it.

     “What about mints for Shadow?” Chloe asked with a pout.

     “Yes Shadow can have as many mints as he can eat.” Tom chuckled.

    Shadow looked over at the feed bag with the mints in it before he nudged Tom in the shoulder and then he looked back at the feed bag again.

     “I think he’s asking you for a mint now to seal the deal.” Chloe giggled as she watched Shadow nudge Tom again.

     “Okay, okay. I get the message.” Tom chuckled some more as he stepped over to the feed bag and took out a good hand full and then split them between his two hands and gave Buttercup and Shadow some mints to munch on. “Dot said your mother dropped you off, so I’ll explain everything to her when she comes to pick you up.” Tom added as he let the two horses finish the mints he had in his hands. “I’ll let you two carry on sorting out the horses then now.” And with that Tom turned and walked back towards the house.

    The two girls soon got stuck into their tasks and had most of it sorted by mid afternoon. They were just putting down the last of the fresh hay in the stalls when they heard the sound of heels clicking on the floor just outside the stall they were working in. Chloe looked around just in time to see a woman step into view and smile at them both. Chloe gasped when she saw just how beautiful she was. She was tall slim, but with curves in all the right places, with a slim waist that flared out at the breast and the hips to give her the perfect shape for a woman. The woman was wearing a pair of sunglasses, so Chloe couldn’t make out much of her face, but what she could see said this woman was very pretty.

     “I hope that you’ve not got your new friend doing all the work sis.” The woman said as she started grinning at Stacy.

     “Stephi!” Stacy screamed as she dropped the fork she was holding and ran across the stall before throwing her arms around her sister and hugging her like they hadn’t seen each other in months.

    Chloe knew it to be just days since Stacy last saw her sister. Stephanie had returned to her apartment where she stops during the week on Monday, and was due to return later in the day, but she’d arrived earlier so she could meet this new friend her sister had been burning her ear off with talking about all week since Chloe had first arrived to look at the kittens.

     “And here was me thinking I wouldn’t be missed now you have a new best friend to hang with.” Stephanie pouted as she held her baby sister at arm’s length trying not to let Stacy get her covered in dirt.

     “I’ll always miss you when you’re not here sis.” Stacy pouted back just before she threw her arms around her sister for another hug to show just how much she had missed her big sister.

    Chloe took this time to get a better look at the woman she new to have been like her once, a girl trapped in the wrong body. Chloe was shocked to see just how much like a woman Stacy’s sister actually looked. Chloe thought she was beautiful, bordering on sexy even. Chloe thought that if anyone walked up to her now and said that Stephanie hadn’t always been a female; she would just laugh at them thinking they were playing a joke on her. Chloe was soon pulling her thoughts back to the present when she heard Stacy talking to her sister about her.

     “This is Chloe, my bestest friend in the whole world.” Stacy said as she dragged Stephanie across the stall to where Chloe was still stood looking this woman up and down in shock at just how pretty she was.

     “So you’re this Chloe that I’ve been hearing so much about?” Stephanie said as she looked Chloe up and down for a couple of seconds. “My, aren’t you a pretty little thing.” Stephanie added with a grin.

     “It’s nice to meet you Stephanie.” Chloe stuttered out as she held out her sweaty hand to shake Stephanie’s after wiping it on her jeans a couple of times trying to make sure it was clean. Chloe soon looked worried as she found herself being pulled into a hug with the well dressed woman.

     “Friends don’t shake hands honey.” Stephanie said as she hugged the worried looking child. “I must admit that I was expecting somebody taller.” Stephanie added as she broke the hug and gave Chloe another look up and down.

     “Why would you be expecting somebody taller?” Stacy asked with a puzzled look.

     “I find it hard to believe that this little thing managed to tame the savage beast out in the field.” Stephanie said as she pointed in the direction of the large field where they put the horses. The field was split into two half’s so they could keep the males and females apart until they wanted to try breeding them.

     “You should see how good she is with Shadow sis.” Stacy said excitedly. “I’ve never seen anyone tame a horse so fast in all my life.” Stacy added.

     “You’re twelve, you’ve not had much of a life to see anything yet baby sister.” Stephanie giggled as she grabbed Stacy around the neck and starting play fighting with her.

    Chloe found herself gigging as she watched the two sisters play around. Chloe could see that the two of them were very close, she found herself wishing that she’d had a big sister like Stephanie, but she also found herself worrying as to whether or not an older sister to the real Chloe would have accepted her as a sister. Chloe found herself wanting to see Spirit for some reason, but she’d been more absent the past couple of days, just dropping in when she could chat with Chloe without making Chloe look weird by talking to invisible friends.

     “Let’s go and show her Chloe.” Stacy said as she started dragging Stephanie out the stall towards the field where Shadow was running around.

    Shadow stopped running around and started walking towards Chloe and the others at the edge of the fence, but he stopped half way and bent down to pick something up out the ground. Stephanie had to slap a hand over her mouth in shock when she saw Shadow walk the rest of the way with a wild flower in his teeth. She then watched as Shadow dropped the flower into Chloe’s hands before dropping his head so Chloe could rub the top of it between his ears.

     “Thank you Shadow. It’s very pretty.” Chloe praised the horse. “Show Stephanie how you great special people.” Chloe added as she stopped rubbing Shadow’s head and waited for him to do as he was told.

    Shadow took a couple of steps back and then stepped forward with one front leg while bending the other as he did a horse version of a bow for Stephanie. He picked up another flower while he was down there and then he brought it over and dropped it in Stephanie’s hand once she held them out for him to do so.

     “This can’t be the same horse.” Stephanie said looking shocked at what she’d just seen.

     “I told you she was a horse whisperer or something like that.” Stacy said as she poked her sister in the arm.

     “How... What... I’m stumped.” Stephanie finally said lost for words to explain what she’d just seen.

     “Shadow does all the work.” Chloe said as she pulled out some mints and fed them to a happy looking Shadow. “We understand each other.” Chloe added with a sigh.

    Stephanie led the two girls back into the stables so they could finish off their tasks while they chattered. Chloe smiled when she sensed that Spirit was close by, she’d not seen her much today, and was starting to worry that she might be upset over the amount of time Chloe was spending with Stacy instead of her, but there is only so much you can do with a dead girl.

    Chloe felt Spirit appear beside her before she turned to look in that direction, but the thing that caught Chloe’s eyes the most was the way Stephanie had turned as white as a sheet just before she stepped back looking scared to death of something. It took Chloe’s mind a couple of seconds to realise that Stephanie could see Spirit. Chloe went to say something calming to Stephanie, but it was too late and the woman tripped over a water bucket and fell to the ground as she kept crawling backwards across the floor until she was in the corner of the room looking scared to death as she kept her eyes locked on Spirit.

     “She can see me sis.” Spirit said looking shocked to find out that someone else could see her without holding hands or some other body part with Chloe.

     “I can hear you too.” Stephanie snapped. “Oh god, I’m going mad.” Stephanie said to herself as she buried her head in her hands for a couple of seconds before looking up again to see if it was just a crazy illusion of some sort, but Spirit was still stood next to Chloe when she looked up.

    Stacy not being able to see Spirit just looked freaked out at the way her sister was acting, she was soon kneeling at her older sister’s side trying to find out what was wrong with her, as she kept looking at a spot to the side of Chloe as she kept mumbling to herself. “Stephi? Stephi? What’s wrong?”

     “How can she see and hear you?” Chloe asked as she looked at Spirit. “Is she like me?”

     “Not like you, but she has a mild form of the gift, but that would only happen if she’d...” Spirit trailed off mid sentence.

     “If she’d what?” Chloe asked not even trying to keep her voice down to stop Stacy finding out she spoke to dead people.

     “The only way she’d be able to see me or hear me would be if she’d died and been returned to her body.” Spirit explained.

     “Who are you talking to Chloe?” Stacy asked as she looked around the room trying to see if someone had walked in while she was trying to help her sister.

     “She’s talking to a ghost; can’t you see her too sis?” Stephanie said with tears in her eyes as she pointed right at Spirit.

     “Ghosts?” Stacy asked looking worried now as she tried to see where they were, but couldn’t see anything. “What’s she talking about?” Stacy asked as she looked at Chloe for an answer.

     “You better explain it all to her Chloe.” Spirit said as she held out her hand for Chloe to hold, so she could then take hold of Stacy’s hand and let her in on the big secret that would lead to the other big secret.

     “I need you to take hold of my hand Stacy.” Chloe said.

     “What for?” Stacy asked as she looked more concerned with her sister than holding hands with Chloe.

     “I need to show you what your sister is seeing, so you can better understand what I have to tell you.” Chloe said with pleading in her voice for Stacy to take hold of her hand.

    Stacy watched as Chloe crouched down next to her and then took hold of her hand. Stacy felt a warm tingly feeling just before she saw the misted image of another girl start to appear next to Chloe. “I can see a girl next to you Chloe. How are you doing that? Stacy asked as she tried to remain calm, but was beginning to freak out a little.

     “I can see dead people and help them to find peace and move on to the other side.” Chloe explained. “And it looks like your sister can see them too. Chloe added as she reached out to touch Stephanie in a calming reassuring way, but Stephanie pulled away looking scared still.

     “But why can my sister see them as well, and what happened to make it so you can see them?” Stacy asked as her head was flooded with question after question.

     “I died, but came back from death with someone else sharing my body because they needed to save someone.” Chloe said as she tried to touch Stephanie again, but this time Stephanie let her.

    Spirit used Chloe’s touch to send Stephanie some calming energy to help her relax so they could talk with clearer heads. “What am I feeling now?” Stephanie asked with a relaxing sigh.

     “Spirit is helping you to remain calm while we speak.” Chloe explained. “This is Spirit my sister and Spirit guide.” Chloe added as she did the introductions.

     “Hello Stephanie, Stacy.” Spirit smiled at the two girls. “I’m sorry that I scared you Stephanie, but I’m not going to hurt you.”

     “Why can I see you, but Chloe had to hold hands for my sister to see you?” Stephanie asked. “Am I broken?” She added looking worried.

     “No you’re not broken Stephanie, just special.” Spirit said. “I need to know if you’ve had a near death experience?” Spirit asked.

     “She’s had two of them.” Stacy answered for her sister. “Once when some boys beat her up when she was fourteen, and then again while having some surgery done when she was sixteen.” Stacy explained.

     “Stacy! Shut up.” Stephanie snapped, not wanting her baby sister to let Chloe know about her past.

     “I already know about your past, and how you were born different.” Chloe said when she saw the worried look Stephanie was giving her sister as she tried to stop her spilling the family secret to her new friend.

     “Stacy! I can’t believe you told her about that.” Stephanie said looking hurt.

     “I’ve never said a word about any of it to anyone Stephi.” Stacy whined.

     “Stacy never told me. I had another source.” Chloe said looking at Spirit, not wanting to let them know that it was really Jennifer that told her about Stephanie once being a boy.

     “So how come I can see dead people like you?” Stephanie asked, not wanting to linger on her secret any longer than needed.

     “Touching the other side twice would leave a lasting effect on you, but I find it hard to believe it’s been over looked.” Spirit said more as a thought than a statement of fact. “I need to talk to Sammi about this and see if we can get you a guide to help you with this gift.” Spirit added.

     “How do I get rid of it?” Stephanie asked. “I’ve got enough to deal with in my life; I don’t need to keep seeing dead people as well.” She added.

     “The gift can’t be removed Stephanie, but we can help you to use it.” Spirit explained.

     “Does this mean she’s like me?” Chloe asked.

     “No, you can touch and help ghosts in more ways than Stephanie can, but she is very gifted still.” Spirit said looking impressed that Stephanie had managed to stay under the radar for all this time.

     “Why didn’t you tell me any of this about you Chloe?” Stacy asked looking a little hurt at her friend keeping this secret from her.

    Chloe looked worried now as she realised that if she said anymore, she would have to tell them everything, and that would lead to Valarie, Ashley, Jennifer and Dr Kaufman all getting in trouble. “I need to go now; I shouldn’t have said anything in the first place.” Chloe said as she got to her feet and then ran from the stables and started running towards the path she normally cycled to Stacy’s house along.

    Stacy and Stephanie tried to run after Chloe, but she was a fast runner compared to them and she had a head start on the other two, so they went into the house and told their parents that they were going to run Chloe home in Stephanie’s car. It took all of Stacy’s self control to not run into the house looking panicked, but they kept calm and were soon in the car with Stacy giving her sister directions to Chloe’s house.

Chapter sixteen: All cards on the table

    Ashley was on the phone with her estate agent in the kitchen when she saw Chloe burst into the room through the back door and run right past her with tears streaming down her cheeks.

     “I’ll need to call you back Stan.” Ashley said to the man on the phone before she hung up and went to see what was troubling Chloe. “Chloe! Chloe! What’s wrong sweetie?” Ashley asked as she ran up the stairs to Chloe’s room where she found the child on her bed sobbing her eyes out.

    Valarie had been unpacking boxes in another room when she heard Ashley calling out Chloe’s name. She followed Ashley into Chloe’s bedroom to find her daughter on the bed sobbing.

    Chloe was soon being pulled into a hug with her mother as they tried to find out what happened to upset her so much.

     “What’s wrong sweetie?” Valarie asked looking worried.

     “They know about me mummy, they know about me and we will all be in trouble now because of it.” Chloe said between sobs of tears.

     “How much do they know about you?” Valarie asked trying to stay calm.

     “Stacy’s sister came home and she could see Spirit without me touching her, and they wanted to know how it happened, but I couldn’t tell them without them finding out about me not being Chloe.” She sobbed even more.

    Before Valarie had time to ask any more questions, they heard a car pulling up on the drive and Ashley got up and looked out the window to see Stacy and a young woman getting out a red car.

     “It’s Stacy and her sister I gather.” Ashley said looking worried. “Do you want me to go down and get rid of them for you Val?”

     “No, you stop up here with Chloe. I want to keep you out of this as much as I can, just in case they have called the police.” Valarie said as she lay Chloe back down on the bed and then she got up and left the room to go and speak with Stacy and her sister.

    Valarie got to the bottom of the stairs just as the doorbell rang, so she took a couple of deep breaths before she opened the front door and looked at Stacy and the young woman with her.

     “Did Chloe make it home Miss Ashcroft?” Stacy asked looking worried for her friend and how she just ran off from her house.

     “Yes she made it home, but I think we better go into the living room and have a chat.” Valarie said as she let the two of them into the house and then led them into the living room.

    Valarie indicated for the two of them to take a seat before she spoke again. I know that you’ve found out about Chloe’s gift with being able to talk to the dead.”

     “Yes, but she ran off when I asked her how she came to have this gift as you call it.” Stephanie said.

     “I trust that you must be Stephanie, Stacy’s older sister?” Valarie asked the young woman. Valarie thought she looked very pretty.

     “Yes, I’m sorry, I should have introduced myself.” Stephanie said looking a little ashamed. “We’re not here to cause trouble for Chloe, we’re just worried about her, and why she ran away like she did.” Stephanie tried to explain.

     “Things aren’t as simple as they seem with Chloe and her gift.” Valarie started. “What I’m about to explain could get me and some others in a lot of trouble if the wrong people found out about it.” Valarie added looking nervous.

     “Like I just said Miss Ashcroft, we just want to make sure Chloe is alright.” Stephanie said reassuringly.

     “Chloe isn’t my real daughter; you’ve met my real daughter though.” Valarie said.

     “The ghost called Spirit is your real daughter?” Stephanie asked.

     “Yes she is, but she was killed while in America with her father. I thought my world was over and I came close to taking my own life, but then this girl showed up and stopped me at the last minute.” Valarie smiled at the memory of Chloe running over to her and begging her not to do it.

     “Chloe stopped you?” Stacy asked with a tear running down her cheek which she quickly wiped away with the back of her sleeve.

     “Yes she came running over and told me that my daughter had been guiding her to me, just so I wouldn’t...”

    Valarie went on to explain how Her Chloe and the new Chloe had both been killed at the same time, but the new Chloe was still linked to her body when her Chloe forced her back down into it.

     “But why is this Chloe pretending to be your daughter then?” Stephanie asked. “Isn’t someone missing her?”

     “She doesn’t have anyone left in the world to look after her. She was running from her abusive stepfather when they both got hit by a lorry. He was killed on impact, but Chloe survived with some help from Spirit.” Valarie explained.

     “I still don’t understand why Chloe ran away from us just now though.” Stephanie said as she had a feeling there was more to this story than what had been said to them. “What haven’t you told us Miss Ashcroft?” Stephanie asked.

     “I’m hoping that you more than anyone will understand how Chloe is feeling at the minute with her life.” Valarie said as she looked Stephanie in the eyes. “Chloe is really a boy called James, but he feels that he should have been born a girl, so I’m helping him to get his wish, and I get my daughter back in a fashion.”

     “Chloe is really a boy?” Stacy asked looking shocked at the news she’d just heard.

     “Stacy! Don’t be mean. Chloe is a girl, but was born with the wrong body.” Stephanie snapped, not liking it when people explained it like that. She had never felt like a boy, so she knew just how Chloe felt.

     “I didn’t mean it like that Stephi. I just think she’s the prettiest girl I’ve ever met, and one of the kindest next to you.” Stacy pouted as she let her sister hug her.

     “Now you can see why Chloe got so upset when she thought you were going to find out her secret.” Valarie sighed. “I think she’s worried that she might have lost her best friend because of it all.” Valarie added a she looked at Stacy for an answer.

     “Chloe could never lose me as her best friend Miss Ashcroft. My big sister is just like Chloe, so how would that make me look to not accept Chloe, but be fine with having a big sister with the same problem?” Stacy asked. “Can I go and see her now and let her know that we’re still friends, and I’ll take her secret to the grave with me.” Stacy added looking determined to prove her point.

     “Why don’t you two wait here while I go and bring her downstairs so we can sit and talk about it all?” Valarie said as she got up and went to fetch Chloe and Ashley. “And please call me Val.” She said in a pleading voice just before she left the room.

*****

    Chloe was still sobbing on the bed when Ashley saw Spirit appear. Spirit was trying to console Chloe by rubbing her back, which meant that Ashley could now see and speak to her.

     “I’m sorry I got you in trouble with your friend sis. I had no idea her sister would be able to see me.” Spirit said as she rubbed Chloe’s back.

     “Yes you did!” Chloe snapped back in anger as she sat up and turned to face Spirit. “I think you knew all along and just did it to make them hate me because you’re jealous of me being alive while you’re forced to watch me live your life.” Chloe added as she pushed Spirit away from her.

     “I could never do anything like that to you or anyone.” Spirit said sounding hurt at Chloe’s comments.

     “Just go away and leave me alone! I never want to see you or any other dead person ever again!” Chloe shouted just before she started sobbing again as she buried her head in her pillow.

     “Chloe, you can’t mean that, please don’t say things like that, you will only regret it later.” Ashley said as she tried to stop Spirit from fading away, but she vanished anyway with tears in her eyes.

    Ashley looked worried when she saw Valarie enter the room. “Chloe, I think you better come downstairs, we need to talk about some things.”

     “I don’t want to.” Chloe mumbled from where her head was buried in the pillow on her bed.

     “That wasn’t a request young lady.” Valarie snapped back making Chloe look at her in shock. Chloe had never heard her new mother raise her voice before. “Now get up off that bed and come with me.” Valarie added in a firm voice as she held out her hand for Chloe to take hold of.

    Chloe did as she was told and slid off the bed and took hold of Valarie’s hand and let herself be led from her bedroom and down the stairs into the living room where she could now see Stacy and Stephanie sat looking at her. Chloe tried to pull away, but Valarie was ready for that and held her tighter as she walked her over to the sofa facing the two girls and made Chloe take a seat.

    Stacy wanted to run over to Chloe and hug her, but Stephanie made her stay still until they had talked about what had happened. They both looked at Chloe, but Chloe was just looking down at her own lap to scared to look either girl in the eyes.

     “Chloe dear, sit up straight and look your friends in the eyes.” Valarie said in a calm voice, not like the one she’d used up in her bedroom minutes before.

     “They won’t want to be my friends when they find out about me.” Chloe mumbled as she looked at each of them before going back to looking down at the floor.

     “Your mum’s already told us Chloe, and we’re still here waiting to speak with you.” Stephanie said. “Please look at us and you will see that we don’t want to hurt you, just be your friends.” Stephanie added with pleading in her voice.

     “Why would you still want me as a friend after I lied to you all?” Chloe asked as she finally looked the two girls in the eyes and saw they had both been crying just like she had.

     “Because you haven’t lied to us Chloe. I know how you feel, and you were lying to yourself for all those years you tried to fit in as a boy, when everything about it felt wrong.” Stephanie said with real pain in her voice.

     “You both still want to be my friends then, and you won’t tell anyone about me?” Chloe asked, not sure she was hearing it right.

     “You’re still my best friend Chloe.” Stacy said as she jumped up and went over to sit next to Chloe before wrapping her arms around Chloe and hugging her to show just how close they still were.

     “Will your parents still let me come over and ride Shadow now they know my secrets?” Chloe asked when they stopped hugging each other.

     “I don’t see as they need to know about any of this stuff Chloe.” Stephanie said. “We just told them we were running you home.” Stephanie giggled at her pun over the fact Chloe had just ran home.

     “We sometimes find it’s better to protect the parental units from knowing too much.” Stacy explained when she saw the shocked look Chloe was giving them both.

     “I’m not sure how they would take the ghost thing anyway, not sure if I believe all that at the minute.” Stephanie said as she remembered seeing Spirit in the stables back at their place.

     “So you don’t think me weird then?” Chloe asked.

     “No weirder than that freak sat next to you.” Stephanie giggled some more as she pointed at Stacy.

    Chloe couldn’t help giggling herself as she watched Stacy jump up again and attack her big sister with playful slaps that she soon lost as she was pulled into a hug by Stephanie.

     “Nice to see someone looking a little happier.” Ashley said from the doorway. “Do I pack for prison, or is our secret safe for the time being?” Ashley asked as she looked at Stacy and the young woman with her.

     “We don’t talk to others about friends. Hello, I’m Stephanie, Stacy’s sister.” Stephanie said as she stood up and stepped over to shake Ashley’s hand.

     “Hello. I’m Ashley. Valarie’s sister.” Ashley smiled as she shook Stephanie’s hand. “I was just about to grab a drink out the fridge, would anyone care for one with me?” Ashley asked. She got nods and smiles from everyone, so she went into the kitchen to pour them all a glass of lemonade out.

     “Chloe said you could see Spirit without Chloe touching you and her first, is that true?” Ashley asked on her return with a tray of drinks for them all.

     “Yes it is. I’d been seeing strange things before today, but I just brushed it off, but Spirit looked very different to the other people I’ve seen.” Stephanie explained.

     “Do you know what makes you able to see ghosts and spirits?” Valarie asked.

     “Spirit said it was because I’ve died twice, but been brought back.” Stephanie said as she looked around the room to see if Spirit was in there with them. “I’m sure that Spirit could explain it better than I can.” She added with a nervous smile.

     “I think Spirit left to give Chloe some time to calm down.” Ashley said as she gave Chloe a look that said she needed to find a way to get Spirit back here, and soon.

    Chloe remembered how she’d snapped at Spirit while she was upset in her room, and now she wished she’d never spoke to her that way. Chloe tried calling to Spirit in her mind, but she couldn’t feel her anywhere close, but she didn’t want to make her mother angry with her again by letting on that she’d had words with Spirit and now she was gone.

     “What do you mean you died twice?” Valarie asked looking shocked.

     “The first time I died was back when I was just fourteen. I’d come out to my family by then, and a couple of friends.” Stephanie started to explain. “I’d gone out dressed as a girl with my friends and I had a boy talk to me that I’d had a crush on for the longest time. I got a little carried away in the moment and we started kissing, but things went a little too fast and he found out that I still had boy bits and he and his friend beat me up. Doctors said I was dead for over a minute that first time.” Stephanie explained like it was just one of those things that happen from time to time.

     “How badly were you hurt?” Valarie asked.

     “They broke some ribs and did a real number on my face, but thanks to the work of a plastic surgeon, they were able to make me look like this.” Stephanie grinned as she pointed at her beautiful face. “Our parents decided to move down here and take over the stables, so I had a chance at a normal life as a girl. Miss Scott was amazing, and kept my secret for me all the way through the rest of my school years, just like you’re asking her to do for you and Chloe.” Stephanie smiled.

     “What about the second time you died, when did that happen?” Ashley asked this time.

     “That was while I was having my sexual reassignment surgery. I don’t remember anything about it, but they said I died for almost two minutes that time.” Stephanie said looking impressed. “They did say what caused it, but they used a lot of big words that I can’t remember.” She shrugged.

     “So you’re all woman now then?” Valarie asked.

     “Yep! What you see is what you get.” Stephanie giggled as she lifted her hands in the air.

     “You look amazing, and I find it hard to believe that you were ever anything but a girl.” Ashley said as she waved a hand towards Stephanie sat with Stacy cuddled up to her. Stacy always cuddled up to her sister when she told the stories of how she almost lost her big sister.

     “Thank you, but it’s taken a long time to look this way, but I’d do it all again if I had to.” Stephanie beamed with pride for how she’d turned out. “I’ll give you all my contact details Chloe, so if you ever feel you need to talk to someone about any of this, just call me anytime and I’ll help you get through it.” Stephanie added as she pulled a small pad and pen out her purse and started writing down all her details.

    Chloe sat in shock as she realised she’d not only kept her best friend, but she’d also gained the help and friendship of someone that knew just what she’d be going through over the years to come. “Thank you Stephanie, thank you for everything.” Chloe snuffled as she stood up to take the piece of paper from Stephanie.

    Stephanie got to her feet and pulled Chloe into a hug. “Call me Stephi, and I’d like for you to think of me as your big sister, just like Stacy does.”

     “Thanks Stephi.” Chloe smiled as she let her new big sister hug her a little tighter.

     “You’re welcome freak.” Stephanie said with a giggle, so Chloe knew she wasn’t being serious. “I don’t think it’s a good idea to tell my parents about the ghost thing, but I do think that sitting down with them and talking about Chloe and her situation might be helpful to you Valarie.” Stephanie pointed out.

     “But what about the way I’m doing it all behind everyone’s back?” Valarie asked.

     “They don’t need to know all the reasons behind what you’re doing, just let them think that Chloe used to be your son, but he wants to be your daughter.” Stephanie shrugged. “They won’t be interested in all the details, just that you’re willing to help Chloe reach her end goal.”

     “Mr Williams wanted to have a word with you anyway mummy.” Chloe said as she broke the hug with Stephanie and turned to face her.

     “Do you know what for sweetie?” Valarie asked looking worried that they might have already worked something out on their own.

     “It’s to do with me working at the stables when I’m not at school. He said that another girl that was working for him has broken her leg and won’t be able to help out when they get some horses back at the stables after the holidays.” Chloe explained.

     “That would be a good time for you to point out Chloe’s condition and ask them to keep it to themselves, not that they would go telling anyone, not after what happened to me, and they already think that Chloe as done wonders to bring Stacy out of her shell.” Stephanie grinned as she looked at her sister sat cuddled up to Chloe on the sofa.

     “I’ll drive Chloe over in the morning and have a word with them, and make sure they’re going to be okay with Chloe helping out and keeping her horse at the stables.” Valarie said. “I trust you will be going over to help out tomorrow still?” Valarie asked as she looked at Chloe.

     “Can I come over still Stacy?” Chloe asked.

     “Do I have to answer that silly question?” Stacy asked in return with her hands on her hips trying to look grown up as she frowned at Chloe.

     “That’s classic Stacy for yes you can come over.” Stephanie giggled. “We can all go out for a ride if you want to Chloe. It’s been a week since I last took my horse out.” Stephanie added with a sigh.

     “I’d like that a lot.” Chloe grinned.

    They walked Stacy and Stephanie to the front door, and then they waved to them as they drove down the drive and out of sight.

     “I think you better go and see if you can sort things out with your sister.” Ashley whispered in Chloe’s ear as they went back into the house.

    Chloe was soon running up the stairs and entering her room. “Spirit! Spirit! Please show yourself, I need to speak with you.” Chloe pleaded as she looked around the room for any sign of her. “I’m sorry I said what I did, I was angry and didn’t mean any of it.” Chloe added as she fell down on the bed feeling sad for upsetting Spirit. She sat on her bed for nearly fifteen minute and there was still no sign of Spirit showing up. Chloe was getting scared that she might have really seen the last of Spirit and that thought left an empty hole in her. She got up off the bed and was just about to go down stairs and tell her mother what she might have done, when she felt that same feeling she always got just before Spirit showed herself.

     “Spirit?” Chloe asked as she looked around the room.

     “I’m here.” Spirit said, but Chloe still couldn’t see her.

     “Why can’t I see you sis?” Chloe asked.

     “You said you never wanted to see me again, so I’m just doing as you asked.” Spirit said with a pout in her voice.

     “I’m sorry I said that sis, but I was just upset and angry with myself more than you. Please show yourself, I miss you so much and feel crappy for the way I spoke to you.” Chloe pleaded as she started to cry again.

    Chloe was soon looking at Spirit and she was quick to throw her arms around her sister and they just stood in the middle of the room hugging each other.

     “I’m so sorry for everything I said to you Spirit. I just thought that you were angry with me for spending so much time with Stacy. I’ve not seen much of you the past couple of days.” Chloe said as they hugged.

     “I’m sorry for making you think that sis, but I’ve been busy doing other things.” Spirit said with a look that said she wasn’t sure she should tell Chloe something or not.

     “What aren’t you telling me?” Chloe asked, seeing the look Spirit had on her face and working out for herself that something was being kept from her.

     “Don’t worry about it Chloe, it can wait till another time.” Spirit smiled, but still looked worried as to whether or not she was doing the right thing keeping something from Chloe.

     “Tell me Spirit, I can see that it’s something important.” Chloe said in a firmer voice, or as firm as a twelve year out girl can sound.

    Spirit took a couple of deep breaths before she spoke. “I’ve been trying to stop your stepfather from finding you, but he’s getting closer to working out where you are and he’s out to make your life a living hell.” Spirit explained.

     “I thought he was dead?” Chloe asked looking scared.

     “He is dead, but he plans to haunt you.” Spirit said.

     “Let him come then Spirit, I’ll send him on to the afterlife with a smile.” Chloe said trying to look brave, even though she was shaking on the inside.

     “I’m not sure you’re ready to face someone like him Chloe.” Spirit said looking worried. “He’s not going to be like Robert’s wife Tanya was to send on her way. Your stepfather is going to do all he can to not pass over to the other side.” Spirit warned.

     “I know all that, but he’s still coming for me, and you won’t be able to stop him finding me forever.” Chloe sighed as she sat on the bed and started fusing the two kittens that had woken when they felt Chloe sit down. “And I have you to help me as well, so I won’t feel like I’m facing him on my own either.” Chloe added with a smile.

     “I’ll always be with you Chloe, even when you get angry with me and send me away.” Spirit giggled as she sat on the bed next to Chloe and started playing with Smoky as he bounced back and forth all over the bed as he chased Spirit’s fingers around.

    Chloe was soon scooping up both kittens when it was time for dinner and Ashley called her down stairs. Chloe informed her Aunt that everything was good again between her and Spirit. They were soon eating dinner while the kittens ate theirs over in the corner while being watched over by Spirit. Chloe decided not to worry Valarie or Ashley with the news of her dead stepfather trying to find her; she thought Valarie had enough on her plate already to start adding news about things she had no control over.

 

To Be Continued Next Tuesday  

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

up
210 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The ugly stepfather

I can see the battle between this guy and Cloe/Spirit being huge. Perhaps a couple of chapters worth. Cloe will learn a lot about her capabilities with this one and her stepfather will find out that he STILL isn't the Great One he thought he was in life. Oh, to see the beat down he's about to get! Role reversal would be SO poetic in this case. I love the anticipation and will surely love to actually get to read it.

Great work, as usual, Sara. I always look forward to reading your stories. I'm never disappointed, either.

Hugs,
Erica

A Ghost Of A Chance 08

Loved reading this sweet chapter, and looking forward to the next.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Ol gruesome is coming

I think Chloe needs to learn some spiritual jujitsu and toss her old man off into beyond and yonder.

Kim

Spiritual jujitsu or

tmf's picture

call Brut, her own grim reaper body guard. So if Ol gruesome got some brain left, he will not do anything directly.

Sara, good story with some nice twist here and there.

Peace and Love
tmf

I think Chloe has more power than we know

I can see Chloe/James' mother showing up to help with the stepfather.

Sara, you always write wonderful stories.

Nice Twist...

...with Stephi's added ability. I certainly wasn't expecting that. I'm sure she'd be glad to help out her sister's friend, but fighting a haunting may be more than she's up for, especially if she has to overcome her own figurative ghosts to do it.

Trivial positive thing: at least Chloe can explain the well-used mountain bike and novice owner discrepancy to Stacy now. It should also be easier for Chloe to get school help from Stacy without her wondering why it's needed. Things will be simpler at Stacy's place, but I'm wondering if they can keep Stacy's parents in the dark for long, especially if dead people start coming to visit.

Eric