Who are the Real Monsters? Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version
Who are the Real Monsters?

by:
Elsbeth


Ken Umeki will learn that not all monsters come out at night.

miko.jpg

Chapter 10

The cold wintery winds caressed my fur as I covertly slipped through the ruins of the old Shinto Shrine towards the base of the small sacred waterfall. Sitting under the ruins, the base of the waterfall was surrounded by lilac bushes making it a place of refuge. The first winter storm had passed after covering the mountain with snow and ice. Gracefully leaping from stone to stone neither snow nor ice upset my footing as I plunged into the pool below. The water warmed from the earth spirits soothed my tired muscles as I changed forms to stand underneath the falling water.

However, my respite was short lived. Already the black and white clothed humans were moving along the base of the mountain once more. The ruins had always been the home of my mother and me but it was no longer safe. She had passed into Yomi-no-kuni the summer before leaving me alone. Now without her protection for the first time in my short life, I was not the hunter but the hunted. Thankfully, the koropokkuru warned me of the hunters approach so they had not found me totally unawares. Planning to pass through the line of black hunters, the valley beyond would become my new home.

Leaping from the rocks, I hit the forest canopy jumping from branch to branch. Trying to pick up speed, my claws dug deep into the wood. The black hunters have strung thick ropes across the tress but that shouldn’t stop me but they were not what they appear. Thick white paper adorned the ropes giving off power, wards to keep me from moving into the valley. With a force of will, I shattered the first wall, passing through it with ease. The second and third were just as easy but were closer together. Through the night, they had created a gauntlet of wards for me to pass through. Feeling trapped, I ran another way, but that way too was warded. The forest that surrounded my home was now a cage.

“Good morning, Kimme.”

“Katie.”

“Yes luv? Are you OK?”

“Weird dream.” With the strange dream fading from my memory, I opened my eyes. “It’s still dark outside.”

“Yes luv. Don’t get your hair wet.” There was very little I could say, the days of crawling out of bed and just running a comb through my hair before heading out the door were over. Katie was already going through my closet pulling out clothes for my first day back to school. Ignoring the skirt she laid out for me, I accomplish my morning ritual without too much fuss. It wasn’t any less disturbing but I was becoming used to it.

“Do you wish me to help you with your make up?”

“Let me try.” Hibiki and Rebecca had spent part of the night helping me learn the magic of makeup. By no means was I a professional but having done dance and drama made it a little easier. “Isn’t that skirt a little short.” Actually, any skirt was too short, jeans would have been better. I had a sneaking suspicion that my mother had a hand in the way I was going to be dressing for school. The Umeki women had a certain appearance they had to uphold. When asked if I could pick out my own outfits I was told emphatically no.

“No dear, it’s just fine.” Katie smiled then walked over and gave me a gentle hug. “Stop playing with your ears, you don’t want to get them infected.” Another new aspect of my appearance, Hibiki was appalled I didn’t have my ears pierced. How was that such a surprise? One rather sharp pin later and a little blood; presto pierced ears. I’ve had better nights.

“There, you look beautiful.” Kate and I stood in front of the mirror. Turning around I conceded that the look was a lot better than I expected.

With breakfast sitting on my stomach like a lead weight, Aya and I took to the road. Getting in and out of a car in a skirt was going to be a bit of a pain. Still the idea of flashing the universe wasn’t desirable so doing it the correct way seemed like a rather good idea.

“How do you feel?”

I assumed that Aya noticed my pale sickly expression. “Terrified.” She laughed. I’m so happy I could be a source of amusement. “But I’ll get over it.”

“Good, you will do fine. I have faith in you, Kimme-sama.”

Why Aya had to escort me to school, I still didn’t understand. My mother wasn’t too helpful in that regard, just saying that it was something I needed to get used to. Since she was actually talking to me, I really didn’t have the heart to start a fight over the subject. I guess that if my mother could live with it, I could too. Pulling right in front of the school before I could even get out of the car, Aya ran around and opened my car door. “Great, right in front of the entire school; how was that going to look? “ I thought to myself.

“I could have opened my own door.”

Aya didn’t bother to reply. Doing this for a second time was a rather odd experience. Coming through as Ken no one seemed to even notice; now as Kimme I felt as if everyone was watching me. At least a couple of friendly faces were there to greet me at the door, Hibiki and Rebecca serving as my very own welcome wagon.

“That outfit looks cute on you, Kimme.” Hibiki said excitedly. Both girls gave me a hug. Not sure why but that seemed to settle me down. We talked for a few minutes but they needed to make it to class before the first bell. I told Rebecca again that she was welcome to drive with me to school but she liked taking the bus with her friends. To each his own I wasn’t a fan of the bus.

Aya does have a bit of a presence so when we entered the office everyone looked up. Mrs. Sheffield the school’s secretary just smiled. “How may I help you dear?”

“Hi, I’m...Kimme Umeki; I’m here to pick up my schedule.”

“Is that your mother?”

Turning I gave Aya a half smile. “No, she is just dropping me off.” Pulling my schedule up on the computer, Mrs. Sheffield passed it to me. It was almost the same except my Study Hall was at the end of the day, switching with my English class. Surprisingly enough, I had the same locker. Of course, all of the personal data now reflected my new status, Kimme Umeki.

“Principal Byrne would also like to speak to you for a moment dear. She likes to greet all new students.” When did that happen? Last time I was given my schedule and thrown out of the office. “Go straight in, she is expecting you.”

Passing through the office I was surprised to find Principal Byrne office so nicely decorated. It had a very comfortable welcoming feel to it. “You must be Kimme Umeki.” She smiled.

“Yes ma’am.” I remembered meeting her before in the hallway with my first altercation with Eric Sullivan. She seemed to be in a much better mood.

Principal Byrne gave Aya a different smile. “You must be Aya Yoshida. I talked to Kimme’s mother this morning and assured her that while in school she will be perfectly safe.”

That surprised me, did my mother actually call the school. I didn’t know how I felt about that.

“I understand.” Aya gave her a half bow. Seems she was playing her role up to the hilt today, whatever.

“Good, well Kimme, if you need anything my door is always open.”

After dropping my books at my locker, with a map in hand, not that I needed it and without Aya I found my home room. Walking in most of the way through morning announcements, I passed my note to Miss Byrd my home room teacher and found a seat. Once again Ken was invisible, I was not. Most of the boys gave me a once over, several more than once. Most of the girls gave me the eye most likely for different reasons. Thankfully, there was a seat at the back of the room. As soon as I sat down a blonde hair girl greeted me. “Hi, I’m Ashley Rowley.”

“Kimme Umeki.”

She made a face. “Didn’t we have a guy in class by that name? I heard he got sick or something.”

“My cousin Ken, he sort of had an allergic reaction to Massachusetts.” I smiled.

“I have an allergic reaction to school every day.” Another girl named Lauren joined in. “Must suck moving your senior year.”

Before I could reply, we were changing classes. After planning on meeting for lunch, I made my way to my next class. Sitting in the same seat I had before, a number of girls recognized my name. They excitedly began to talk to me about the festival and how well I danced. Word that I was the girl in white that sat on the palanquin in the parade spread throughout the class.

“Seems you have a following.” Hibiki greeted me at my locker as I prepared to switch to third period. “A couple of the guys were asking me about you.”

Yay me. “Some guy I don’t even know just asked me on a date.”

“So what did you say? You didn’t do the same thing…”

I laughed. “No of course not, I was very nice and told him thank you but no.”

“Christen has been telling everyone you’re a real bitch.”

“Great.”

“Oh don’t worry about it; everyone knows that he’s a jerk.”

Waving goodbye I found my new English class and made my way to sit by my cousin. “Ren, I haven’t seen you in a week.” Actually, what was rather odd I hadn’t seen his father either.

Ren looked up at me. “Kimme, I heard that they were making you come to school this week.”

“My mother thought it was a good idea.” We of course didn’t get into it during class. When it ended, we picked up our conversation but not before a number of girls from my other classes said hi and a few guys made Ren introduce me to them.

“Seems you’re popular.” Funny coming from him, as he always seemed to have girls hanging all over him.

“I guess so, where have you been? You weren’t at the dojo on Monday.”

“I heard you tried to knock some sense into Sora.”

I giggled. Yes I did, so what. “Worse he got angry.”

Ren cringed then he smiled sadly. “I have been…grounded.”

Nodding; Ren seemed to attract trouble. “Until when?”

“Your birthday.”

“What, you got to be kidding me.” I whispered. “What in the world did you do?”

He shrugged. “Something stupid, well at least my grandmother thinks so. Don’t worry about it.

Anyway I’ll talk to you later.” Ren left me standing in the middle of the hallway. Why did I feel that all of his problems were all my fault?

Lunch was nice, besides getting to eat one of my Aunt Naomi’s world famous Bento lunches we had a good group of people eating under ‘Sister Oak”. It was quite the change from Ken’s first lunch at Skogshaven a few weeks ago. The only odd thing was that Agwe who I had not seen before lunch kept staring at me.

Advanced Chemistry made me a little nervous for some reason. So far no one had recognized me, why should they. However, three people in my next class knew Ken pretty well. Trying to stay away, I took a seat at the back corner of the room. A couple of girls from my other classes said hello but Agwe walked right on by. Mal and Miki were having a conversation towards the front of the room so it seemed everything would be ok. Reaching down for my book, I came face to face with Agwe.

“Excuse me, girls.” She said to the girls that surrounded my desk. “I need to speak to her outside of class.”

Pulling me around the corner, she stared at me again. “Who are you?”

“Kimme Umeki.”

Reaching over she pinched my right boob.

“Owe...that hurt...What the hell, why did you do that?” Was this some weird girl greeting I wasn’t made aware of?

“They’re real.” She said surprised.

“Of course they’re real. “ I growled rubbing my chest. “That really hurt.”

“I’m sure if you asked Sile, she would kiss it and make it all better.” Agwe laughed.

“That might be true but still who walks up to someone and pinches them, Agwe.” Oh, crap.

Agwe just sat there with a smile on her face. “Spill.”

“I can’t.”

“Ken.” She said annoyed.

“It’s Kimme.”

“Whatever; spill, what happened?”

She spoke a little too loudly for my comfort. Covering Agwe mouth with my hand, I leaned closer. “OK quiet, next period in Study Hall.” For some reason I remembered that she had Study Hall after Advanced Chem.

Meandering towards the back of the Library into one of the study rooms the two of us took a seat. Agwe looked like some detective that was ready to cross-examine a criminal. “Ok...Kimme.” She emphasized my name. “Spill.” As it seems she knew something I went over my story again, pretty much what I had told Sile the night before.

“So you really have no clue?” Agwe sat back perplexed. “This is weird even for Skogshaven.”

Green dogs, ghost girls and sex-changing forests what else could be weird? “OK, now your turn.”

“What?” Agwe looked uncomfortable.

Pointing my finger at her, I made a face. “What, right. OK tell me how you knew?”

“Well…I sort of see things.” Agwe began to play with her fingers.

“Sort of see things, want to be a little more specific. What, like dead people?”

She giggled. “Well sort of, since I was little I can see things. I can’t explain it and it doesn’t always happen.”

“Did you wake up one day and start seeing things?” I wondered if she was a Witch like my grandmother.

“No, I sort of fell in the ocean one day. When I came out I could see things.”

OH, she must have had one of those near death experiences. “So how long were you underwater?”

“A year and a day.” She smiled.

“That’s a long time to hold your breath.”

Smiling she told the story of how when she was eight years old she was playing at the end of the pier at her grandmother’s old home in Martinique. Looking down into the clear water, she saw another child playing underwater. Waving to her the girl waved back wanting her to jump in. Being eight years old, that’s exactly what she did. Now there were dozens who watched her jump into the water. None of her relatives could see her underwater nor did Agwe’s body ever turn up. Her mother never gave up hope that she would return. A year and a day later her family was at her grandmother’s house again, this time packing up the house because Agwe’s grandmother had just died. All of a sudden, Agwe appeared at the end of the dock, which she immediately ran down into her mother’s arms. Agwe still has no memory of what happened during that time.

“So are you a Witch?” I hesitated to ask thinking she might tell me I was insane.

“No, the St. Hill women have gifts but it’s nothing like the Witches of Skogshaven.” She made a face. “My mother would kill me but you should have one of them take a look.”

“I was told my grandmother was going to see if she could do something. She’s a Priestess.”

“Oh I didn’t know the Umeki family were witches. I know the Shisaa family doesn’t have a single magical bone in their bodies. So your mother; is she a Witch too?”

That surprised me I had no idea. “I don’t know.” It didn’t seem Agwe heard me anyway.

“So you might be a Witch as well.” She said thoughtfully. Agwe was heading somewhere I wasn’t so sure I was comfortable going. “So are you OK with the girl thing?” Her change of topics lost me for a second.

“I don’t know. I’m working on it. It’s only been a few days.”

Two girls who were making faces at the windowed doorway interrupted our conversation. “Oh don’t say anything to them by the way, they are Norms. “

What in the world was a Norm?

Agwe then waved them in. “You’re interrupting our studying.”

“Yea, right.” A blonde-haired girl said throwing herself into one of the chairs. “Might help if you have a book opened.”

“Oh hey, you must be Kimme Umeki; I heard you were the dancer at the festival this weekend.” The second girl a brunette who was almost as short as I was took the seat across from me. I recognized her from my Math class. “I’m Tabitha Nelson and that’s Roselle Mjá¶ll, though we call her Rose.”

With the last bell, the four of us exited the library. “Did I tell you that I love your outfit Kimme; were heading into town; want to do a little shopping?” Tabitha asked. Actually, she hadn’t really stopped talking since we met.

“I’d love to but I need to check with…”

“Who in the heck is that?” Rose said pointing to Aya who was waiting for me at the front of the school. She rather stood out in her black and gray suit and dark sunglasses. “She looks like someone’s bodyguard.”

Aya at that moment noticed me and walked up giving a half bow. “Are you ready Kimme-sama?”

Smiling sadly, I explain. “I have to go.”

“Wow, you’re kind of old for a babysitter.”

Sighing I nodded. “I tried to explain that to my mother as well.”

“Geez, and I thought my parents were freaking nuts.” Rose said. “What’s your number? We’ll make a plan on breaking you out of your cell one night this week.”

Laughing I shared my information and in return got three hugs. “I’ll call you tonight.” Agwe said. “I’m going to talk to my mom, OK?”

I nodded, can’t hurt to have others see why I changed. Waving to the three of them, Aya followed me to the car. “I see you are still cultivating a friendship with the St. Hill girl.”

“She’s my friend.” I really didn’t care of Aya approved or not.

“That’s your choice, of course, Kimme-sama.” Aya didn’t say another word to me as we drove home back to the enclosure.

Already I could see that my school life was going to be an improvement. Now guys coming up and asking me out, I hadn’t gotten used to yet. At least two more came up to me the next day, which was flattering, I think. Something in the stupid forest magic made me interested in them it seemed. I tried to freak out about it but couldn’t no more than I could freak out that I still liked looking at girls. When I thought about Sile, my new girly places tingled quite pleasantly. Then again, there were a couple of guys that did the same thing. I don’t even want to even talk about Malcolm Kincade.

“So you’re still going out to dinner with Sile.” Katie asked while watching me get dressed. I must have tried on six different outfits already. This can’t be normal could it?

“Yes.” Standing back, I admired myself in the mirror. The skirt might be way too short but I wanted to show off my legs. What was even funnier I was actually wearing heels. Gods, I was turning into such a girl.

Katie just smiled. “Have a lovely time.” She then frowned. “Don’t be late getting home and I don’t expect to see you in a tree in the morning.”

I laughed. “I almost forgot I did that.”

“I haven’t.”

Grabbing my purse, I kissed her on the cheek and headed downstairs. Aya didn’t seem to share my amusement. “So you still plan on going out with that woman?”

“That woman has a name, and yes, Sile is taking me to dinner tonight.” I waved and walked out the door. “Don’t wait up.”

Sile was waiting for me at the carport. Climbing into her little red beetle, she greeted me with a warm smile and a kiss that curled my toes. “Ma bien-aimé you look beautiful tonight.”

“You look beautiful too, my beloved.” We smiled at one another. Shifting into gear, we headed off into the night. Maybe this girl thing wasn’t all that bad.

Authors Notes: A special thanks to djkauf for a little elvish editing. Thanks to all for reading! - Elsbeth

 © Copyright - Elsbeth2011/2012

up
217 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank You

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks, glad your liking the story.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Real Monsters?

Great story, really enjoying it!

Richard

Thank You

Elsbeth's picture

Glad your liking the story

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Oh.... when the hammer comes

Oh.... when the hammer comes down on this one it is so not going to be pretty. I mean seriously.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

I'd imagine not...

I'd also imagine that you've just earned yourself a nomination for the Understatment of the Year award. Especially considering how long this so called "investigation" of Grandma's is likely to dragout. Personally, I have to mirror the sentiments of other who have posted in previous chapters: I'd doubt that her family is actually looking into changing her back into a him at all. If anything, I'd bet they're looking into ways of making it so that she *can't* turn back, or just delaying it so that it's too late to do anything about it by the time that the ruse is found out.

At which point it will be: "Oh well. Since you're stuck like this and can't turn back, you might as well go do this, this and that other thing for us that you wouldn't have even considered doing as a male. Get used to it, get married to someone we choose for you, have lots of babies and do the same things to them to make us feel better about doing it to you. Blah blah blah..."

Yes, I admit I might be a smidge biased against the family at this point, with a few exceptions of course.

Elsbeth, all my opinions on Ken's family aside, you have another great chapter here. I like the attention you've drawn towards the differences in reception that Ken/Kimmie is receving and also how much calmer her (Kimmie's) first day has been, in spite of the excess of popularity, compaired to his (Ken's). Good use of secondary and background characters there. Please keep up the good work! ^_^

And Heather, yeah, it's going to be an all but literal trainwreck of a mess if I've ever seen one.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Oh, see... your 2 cents seem

Oh, see... your 2 cents seem to be far nicer than mine. I am not sure that Ken/Kimmie is their kid at all and a lot of my extrapolations lead to the fact that I feel that this will end in fire.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

That would be very true...

But that is mostly because I'm keeping the lion's share of my opinion to myself due to the rest of it consisting of vulgar insults and gratuitous profanity of such intense levels that I'm sure I would be mauled half to death by Erin's ban-hammer, on general principles alone. *eye twitch*

I'm really not liking very much of this family. As I'm alluded to in previous posts: failure to act when you are legitimatly able to makes you almost as guilty, if not every bit as guilty, as the one(s) who actually did it in my eyes. The only thing that Evil needs to win is for others to stand by and do nothing, as they say.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Don't hold back, Loki

Say what you really think.

On second thought... [snicker]

I'm really disliking his/her family, too. I think there's a special place in heck for people who unlovingly treat their own family as pawns.

I wonder if she'll be able to retrieve her fox (I'm assuming) heritage. Was it somehow suppressed, or did that other entity that they are trying to suppress cause him to miss his 16th birthday heritage?

If she manages to remember what was said when she was being converted, the fur is going to fly.

Luckily, she is picking up some allies who are in the know. I feel bad for the hurt and betrayal she is going to feel when she finds out how she has been played, but she really needs to know.

Also, I'm starting to like Sile more and more. In the first stories, she looked like she was simply incapable of loving or caring about someone. It seems that she does have a heart, after all. (Even if it doesn't beat.)

I'm really enjoying this story.

Thank You!!

Elsbeth's picture

Thank you I'm glad your liking the story. Kimme's family does have some issues :)

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Ken/Kimmie's family does not have ISSUES...

They have a whole LIBRARY full of ISSUES, a Library of Congress full of ISSUES.

-- snicker --

Hum, IF Kimmie can fight off the second spell, the one to FIX her as woman and to bind her female spirit from access to the magic permenently, where will those binding magics go?

Gotta love magic backlash.

Can you say OH CRAP! Aya?

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. I agree with others here that several in the family know this is so very wrong, could do something to stop it and choose not too. That makes them nearly as guilty as Aya and the core creeps of the familes.

Nice story even though the child's families are far from nice.

Hell, when a reformed vampire is the good girl something is rotten in the State of Denmar...

You get my drift.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Ya know John...

You seem to have this wonderful way phrasing things sometimes. Has anyone ever mentioned that to you? lol

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Baobhan Sith

Elsbeth's picture

Oh sure, well when you can tell who the real monster's are that's when problems occurs. :) I agree with you about guilt by non-action. Although its not new, whole countries have been a party to such things.

Cant say your going to love the Umeki's in the next chapter either :)

Thanks

-Elsbeth

PS Sile as a heroine, I think she would find that rather disturbing.

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

How so?

I would imagine that even the bad guys/girls have someone they care at least a little for that they would try to protect, if for no other reason than they either look pretty (Badguy's reason) or they're moderatly helpful with heavy lifting (Badgirl's reason). Is it so strange, then, that someone who would normally be one of the baddies miht want to try to save someone?

I'm not saying that it won't throw the audience for a loop every now and again when it happens, though. xD

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Absolutely, even Josef

Elsbeth's picture

Absolutely, even Josef Mengele had a family that I am sure he loved. No Sile, doesnt see herself as a heroine material. Its not that she doesn't care. Of course Sile, is a little different from your typical members of the Unseelie Court.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Sile

IIRC, she didn't exactly have a completely free choice in joining the Unseelie Court - much like succubi and the pre-Ravencrest vampires, she prefered a nomadic lifestyle, wandering from place to place without causing any permanent damage. She's pretty much Neutral aligned.

In Kimmie's situation, she also has the advantage of being an outsider, so she's not subject to the usual politics of Skogshaven's Unseen.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Alignment

Agreed on her alignment, but I'd say she would probably be better defined as a sentient version of "Neutral Hungry" more than anything.

With that being said (and to tie this back to what started this long train of comments (Go Heather for starting it! ^_^)) I would think that she wouldn't have much reservation over destroying the lives of Ken's/Kimmie's family members, save that it would probably do a lot of emotional harm to the one she was trying to protect.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Ma bien-aimé

Nice cant imagine her family is happy...

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

Well we shall see

Elsbeth's picture

Aya isnt happy, that is true. Glad your liking the story.

Thanks for reading.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Interestingly...

...it appears as though while Aya can express dissatisfaction at Kimmie's choice of friends, she hasn't been given the power of veto.

I imagine the family think that at Kimmie's upcoming birthday, following their (carefully edited) revelations about their family history, Kimmie will meekly fit into her expected place in the hierarchy and be a docile, submissive girl.

Yeah, right, sure, as if...! We've already seen there's something a little different about Kimmie, and their magical binding doesn't appear to be entirely successful (I suspect Kimmie's dreams and nocturnal experiences aren't part of whatever Unseen trait the rest of the Umekis have).

Meanwhile, Agwe St. Hill also appears to be slightly different from her clan - disappearing underwater for a year and a day is unusual even by DarkRealms standards.

I'm wondering if they've both got the DarkRealms equivalent of Whateley's avatar trait - a spirit somehow latches onto them and grants them some abilities they wouldn't otherwise have.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Avatar

Elsbeth's picture

I'm wondering if they've both got the DarkRealms equivalent of Whateley's avatar trait - a spirit somehow latches onto them and grants them some abilities they wouldn't otherwise have.

Interesting thought, wont tell you if your wrong or right though :) But your right in that Agwe is a a bit different from the rest of her family. Might be the reason she gravitated to Kimme so quickly...or not :)

Note the time frame a 'year and a day' is interesting in medieval Europe, serfs who lived in a free city for a year and a day become free. Also in stories about King Arthur, those Knights searching for the Holy Grail pledged that they will search for the Grail for a year and a day.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

I can see

this is going to be all kinds of interesting. I know who I think the real monsters are.
hugs
Grover

I think I understand her dream -- REVISED with vitamin C & B12!

I think it was her girl spirit, the one HIS family trapped in a human body trying to escape all the spells place on him/her.

Still not sure if they trapped a kitsune or such spirit in an infant male child or if the child was a offspring of a human and demon.

But it is clear the spirit want it's freedom. Poor Kimmie still believes her family's lies. IE the forest changed him and so on.

I only hope Sile and her other friends can help save her and maybe him. Aya and most of his/her family can burn in hell. The line where Aya responds to Kimmie's friendship with a member of *that* family was particularly telling. I quote.

>>

Waving to the three of them, Aya followed me to the car. “I see you are still cultivating a friendship with the St. Hill girl.”

“She’s my friend.” I really didn’t care of Aya approved or not.

“That’s your choice, of course, Kimme-sama.” Aya didn’t say another word to me as we drove home back to the enclosure.
>>

" ...That's your choice...' was bitterly ironic as she is the chief witch trapping Ken as Kimmie the obedient magically powerful tool. Choice? They are giving Ken/Kimmie no choice at all.

Not your average tale this.

Nicely done.

I only hope Ken/Kimmie would get a clue. At times he/she seemed close to realizing her his/her family was using them but then his/her obedience kicks in and swallows the lie.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Nicely done.

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks, I'm glad your liking it. Kimme does have some hurdles to overcome hopefully Sile will help. We shall see :)

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

It seems to me...

That Kimme's alter ego is more mischievous than malign from what I've seen so far. I hope she learns the truth soon and can do something about it.

Maggie

It seems to me...

Elsbeth's picture

Hopefully she will learn it before its too late, well have to see :) Glad your liking the story.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Who are the Real Monsters? Chapter 10

Wonder if her dream is about her morphing, or being confined and her psyche is warning her?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hmm...

Actually, that's one of the best questions I've seen get asked in the comments for this story. I know I'm looking forward to finding out, that's for sure.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

This is getting good

You know, maybe it is about time the Unseen had a Former Boys Club organised, there are so many gender bent Unseen around these days :).
This is getting better and better, I like the little touches of Japanese folklore and the mystery and conspiracy surrounding this, not altogether sure she is a Kitsune, maybe she is something else - a Tanuki perhaps? They are shape-shifters too.

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

Tanuki perhaps

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks, I'm glad your liking the story. Your right there are a quite a number of (yōkai, obake, yūrei) shape-sifters.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Answers

Maybe we can finally get some answers next chapter.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna