Who are the Real Monsters? Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version
Who are the Real Monsters?

by:
Elsbeth


Ken Umeki will learn that not all monsters come out at night.

miko.jpg

Chapter 7
The music didn’t stop and although my body burned like the sun, I continued to dance. Starting to count down the remaining movements, I began to dread the end of the Izumo-ryu- Kagura. I followed through with Izanagi-no-Mikoto bursting out of the entrance to the underworld and sealing his beloved wife forever. At the end, he purified himself in the sea giving birth to more gods and goddess. With those last movements, the crowd burst into cheers, their voices almost sending me to my knees.

Now the relative safety of the Shrine was my only concern. Slowly I turned as gracefully as I could. Any quicker and I was afraid that I would have collapsed on the stage. Rebecca and Hibiki were soon left behind as visitors wanting to ask questions about the dance surrounded them. When a number of people began to approach me, musical cousins intercepted them. Each step was now total agony. Why was this happening? Something inside me said that the Shrine would have all the answers, if I could just make it there in time.

“Ken, awesome...come on we don't have a lot of time.” Shrouded in darkness, Ren called out to me from the back of the Shrine. Stepping into the Shrine his eyes opened wide.

“What did they do to you?”

“Ren, help me.” I managed to say before I started to fall. He moved like the wind cradling me before I hit the ground. When the Shrine door closed behind me, the world went black.

reiki-symbols.jpg

Ren didn’t see the shadow that moved behind him. Suddenly thrown to the ground, he felt the barrel of a gun pressed against his temple. “Touch my Mistress again, dog, and I will end you.” Aya said with such certainty that Ren knew his life was in her hands.

“You disappoint me.” Rika Shisaa stood in front of the closed door.

“Obaasan help me.” Ren pleaded.

“You’re too much like your father. It would bode well for you to listen to what Aya has to say.”

“But what you did to Ken was wrong.”

“Ken is no longer, it would be wise to remember that. We exist to serve the Umeki family and this was their decision.”

Aya pushed her knee deeper into the back of the young man. “Are we going to have any more problems, dog?”

So it was over. The plans he and his father had set up had failed. “Fine, whatever, you win.”

“You misunderstand Ren, this was never a contest." Aya said softly. "This is the way it has to be.” Aya released the young man allowing him to stand up.

“Aya, what punishment does the Umeki family demand for this boy?”

“Obaasan!”

Aya shook her head. “It’s up to you Rika. He has a good heart but it’s the impetuousness of youth that clouded his judgement. As you are the head of the Shisaa family, we are sure any punishment will be just.” Reaching into her breast pocket, she removed a golden key and threw it to Ren. “You can also release your father. I’m sure he has had an uncomfortable night.”

“Once you have released your father, go to your room. You may not leave except for school and meals. We will decide your punishment later.”

“Yes, Obaasan.” Before departing, Ren looked down. His cousin was thrashing around as if in agony. “Ken, I’m sorry.” He whispered, then ran out of the Shrine.

“Please summon Katharine.”

Rika bowed. “Yes Aya.” Waking out of the Shrine, she slid the door shut.

Aya released the scabbards of unseen swords, laying them by her side then knelt next to Kimme's struggling form. Looking down with a half-smile on her lips, she said. “You are indeed beautiful Kimme-sama.” A shadowy form moved out of the darkness to stand behind Aya. “Don’t touch her, Katherine.”

“Nice to see you too Aya.“ Katie was angry. ”He trusted you...he trusted both of us.”

“We had no choice, Katherine. If she had broken free, then seventeen years of planning would have gone to waste. Changing forms now seemed prudent. She was too comfortable with Ken.” Aya didn’t need to remind Katherine how dangerous it would have been to the entire family if that one had escaped.

“Then why did you bring him back to Skogshaven?” Katie knew that something in this small Massachusetts town was the catalyst for all that had happened recently.

Aya looked away embarrassed. “It was necessary, she moved against us. This time she found a powerful ally.”

“So you have sealed her up again, and what of Ken?”

“That was unfortunate; he would have been married off to another strong Yo-kai-Hogosha family, strengthening the blood line. It will of course, still happen but now Kimme-sama will become a bride. Her children will bring fresh blood into both households.”

“I have always thought this was a mistake.”

Aya nodded. “And that’s why you were left in Skogshaven. The Mistress didn’t want any more distractions. Once the Tojiru ceremony is complete, we will finally be able to leave this town”, she said with a sneer. “Moreover, Kimme-sama will return to her proper place as heir to the Umeki family.”

The two sat in silence for a few more minutes then Kimme finally stopped struggling. “She will need her rest, make sure that no one sees you.”

Katherine picked the young woman off the floor as if she was a child. “I know my job well enough, Aya.” She turned, cradling Kimme in her arms and faded into the shadows.

Aya watched the pair disappear then reached for her cell phone. “Yes Mistress, it went as planned...She is indeed very beautiful, she will be a great treasure to the house of Umeki...I will tell her you called and look forward to your return.” Returning the cell phone, Aya opened the door and left the Shrine. There were still things that needed to be set in motion before the final transformation could take place.

reiki-symbols.jpg

Swimming in darkness, I could understand little of the voices around me. It was as if I was part of the world but also separated from it. Finally, pain brought me back. “Oh my, now that was painful.” I opened my eyes. What in the hell, whose voice was that?

“You’re awake Kimme-sama.” Hibiki sat on a chair next to where I lay, her face full of concern.

“Hibiki, what happened?” I tried to sit up. “What’s going on with my voice?” Moreover, why was she still calling me Kimme?

“Don’t move; let me get someone.”

I didn’t understand the panic in her voice. Watching her leave the room, I looked around. Seems they moved me to the big house where my parents slept when they visited. Moving my hair out of my eyes, what? My hair was long, at least to my waist and there was something else even more disturbing. Throwing myself out of bed and almost planting my face into the ground, I stumbled to the full-length mirror. Staring back at me was my sister, if I had a sister. I still had a dancer’s physique, but now it included wide hips, long raven black hair, a cute little nose and I’m guessing I lost a couple of inches from my height. Shaking, I pulled off my shirt just as Katharine burst into the room.

“Katie, look, I have boobs.” Everything became very fuzzy at that point.

Waking up back on the bed, Katherine was holding me close. “I see you’re back with the living, my ducky.”

“What happened?”

“We don’t know.”

“How can you not know? How can I be a girl? This has to be some sort of dream or better yet a nightmare.”

“Afraid not luv.”

Shaking with tears running down my eyes, I moaned. “But I can’t be a girl, I don’t want to be a girl, what in the hell happened.” Katherine continued to hold me close rocking me back and forth, as I burst into tears. This town sucked, first it was the green dog chasing me, then it was a freaky girl in white and finally it turned me into a girl. Gods, I hated this place. I wasn’t sure how long I bawled my eyes out, something I hadn’t done since I was like six. Katie really was a saint as I cried, screamed and pretty much threw a tantrum on her shoulder.

“It’s OK luv, let it all out. I’m still here for you. Trust me there are worse things than being a girl. I’m a girl and isn’t that bad.”

“Yeah, but you were born a girl.” I sniffled. I still couldn’t get used to my voice. Realizing that Katie was probably the only reason I hadn’t gone off the deep end already, I held her close. “Thank you.”

“My pleasure luv.”

“Oh good, you’re up.” To my surprise, Aya walked into the room.

“I turned into a girl.”

“We know.”

As usual, she was an ocean of understanding. “Why are you here, I thought you were with mother.”

“I had business with your Uncle and I also came here to see you perform. As usual, your performance was beautiful, you should be very proud.”

Yes, honor to the Umeki family and all of that. “So has my grandmother found out a way to turn me back into a boy?” You could have heard a pin drop. The look on Aya’s face was priceless.

“What do you mean, Kimme-sama?”

Now that was unexpected but I guess at least for now I was going to remain Kimme. “Oh please, how long have I been an assistant to my grandmother? She is a priestess. I have been present at a number of shall we say cleansing ceremonies and she performed something that was close to magic.” Something inside me told me I was right and needed to press the issue.

Katie didn’t even bother to deny it. “Poor Aya, you thought that Ken...I mean Kimme here wasn’t paying attention.”

Sitting up I looked at Katie. “You already knew; and when I was supposed to be let in on this little family secret?” I was more than a little annoyed at this point.

Aya looked resigned. “Well you were going to be formally introduced into the family business when you turned eighteen. Your parents decided to keep it from you so it wouldn’t interfere with your studies.”

“Grandmother must have had other ideas.” She had been dragging me to different rituals and cleansings since I was little. “Also what exactly is the family business?”

Neither woman said anything.

“Fine, I’ll ask my grandmother when she arrives.” I looked up at Katie hopefully. “She is coming, isn’t she? Or am I going to be stuck like this forever?”

“Yes, your mother and grandmother are coming to Skogshaven for your Birthday. At that time, we will have the ceremony and introduce you to the family business.” Aya said.

That lightened my mood considerably. It had been a sticking point for a number of years already when all my cousins turned sixteen. “Finally.”

Aya nodded. “Hopefully, it should all work itself out after that.” She didn’t sound too convincing but I tried to believe her. What else was I supposed to do? Kicking, screaming and crying didn’t seem too productive.

Katie smiled at me. “Come, let me help you dress. You must be hungry after what happened to you.”

“I guess I can run down to my room.”

Aya shook her head. “Kimme-sama this is now your room, the main house has been opened for you. Katie has already changed her quarters and I have moved into one of the lower bedrooms.”

“OK, that’s fine.” Actually, it was more than fine; the house had some really nice amenities. I guess they couldn’t move me into one of my other cousin’s bedrooms, that would have been too weird. “What about clothes?” I was sure most of what I had wasn’t going to fit me anymore.

“While you were sleeping, your cousins went to buy you some essentials. The girls also donated a few things that should fit at least for now.” Katie said. “You’ll need to go to the store of course and soon. I believe Hibiki volunteered herself along with Rebecca.”

Holy crap, how was the rest of the family going to react. “Well that’s great but...how is the rest of the family taking this? I mean isn’t this like something out of the Twilight Zone?”

“You are Kimme-sama; no one in the family is going to say otherwise.” Aya said it as if it was law. Maybe it was, I could still remember how everyone reacted when Aunt Rika said I was Kimme Umeki. I rubbed my face with my hands. “This still sucks.”

Later I stood in front of a full-length mirror clad only in a white bra and panties; 32B thank you very much. “This is not going to work. I mean, I’m not a girl.” Thank goodness, Katie was there for the whole bra fiasco. Sure, I have taken one off, quite a number of times but I have never had to put one on, much less on my own body.

Katie giggled. “Could have fooled me.”

Pulling a nice simple blue crew neck t-shirt over my head, I mumbled. “That’s not what I mean.” Slipping on a pair of jeans, I noticed that it hugged all of my new girl curves quite nicely. Nicely? “Man, this really does suck.”

“What was that luv?”

“Nothing.” I pouted.

Katie smiled and pulled me into a hug. “You’re doing fine. Besides me, your cousins will also help you. And don't forget Aya, though she doesn’t always show it, she is concerned for you.” Katie handed me a pair of black ballet flats. My feet seemed to have gotten smaller too, as if that was possible.

“See, look at the mirror. You look nice.”

“Yippee for me.” I sighed and followed Katie out to door to find some dinner.

Instead of walking into the kitchen, Katie escorted me into the formal dining room. There I found my Aunt Naomi setting down my dinner. Did she really give me a bow when I entered the room? Then I remembered that she helped in the main house the last time I visited with my parents. Hibiki came out of the kitchen with a pitcher of water. Setting it down, she ran over to me and gave me a hug.

“That looks super cute on you, Kimme-sama.” Hibiki was a year younger than I was and had a very bubbly personality. She was OK to be with in small controlled dosages. “Since we have off on Monday, Rebecca and I are going to drag you shopping.”

“Sounds like fun.” I said dryly.

“Come eat, luv, before it gets cold.” Once again, I was eating by myself in a room full of people. Even Aya stood off to the side. I loved Aunt Naomi cooking even if it was always traditional Japanese. After today’s fun, I would have eaten anything placed in front of me. I couldn’t believe how hungry I was.

“Kimme-sama, I am glad to see that you are well.” Aunt Rika entered the dining room. Normally she just entered like she owned the place but now it somehow felt different.

“As well as can be expected I guess.” I placed my utensils down. Stuffing my face while speaking to my Aunt wasn’t really good form.

She smiled. “That’s good.” Then nervously she looked to Aya then back to me. “I have a request. Please feel free to turn it down.”

“Go on.” Why did I have a bad feeling about this? Moreover, when did she start requesting anything from me?

“Your dance this afternoon was very well received. There were numerous requests that, if possible, you dance again tomorrow.”

She must be out of her mind. The dance was what caused me to change in the first place. Then I stopped. Well maybe since the dance turned me into a girl, if I did it again it would turn me back into a boy. “No parade?”

Aunt Rika shook her head. “No parade.”

Was there a real chance it would change me back? I thought for a moment. “I agree provisionally.”

Aya frowned. “Meaning, Kimme-sama.”

“That after dinner I go through the dance movements to make sure I can still do them correctly.” My whole center of mass felt off, not including the extra weight I now carried on my chest. ”and providing that Aunt Naomi can get my costume to fit me properly before the morning’s performance.”

It wasn’t a horrible plan and at this point what else did I have to lose.

Authors Notes: A special thanks to djkauf for a little elvish editing. If you like the story please leave a Kudos, if you have the time I would love to hear from you. Thanks to all for reading! - Elsbeth

 © Copyright - Elsbeth2011/2012

up
221 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I would venture a guess that

.... the date with Sile is off :)

I am still pretty perplexed as to motivation. Kimme/Ken is getting the mushroom treatment and I hope s/he gets his/her revenge for being put through the wringer.

Kim

Oh gracious!

Diesel Driver's picture

Thanks for the great laugh Kimmie. I haven't heard anyone refer to the "mushroom treatment" in a long time. I wonder how many of the younger readers (sorry) have never heard of it.

For those of you who are young and or innocent, it means keeping someone in the dark and throwing excrement (different word, 4 letters, usually used) at them. I first heard it while in the military about 45 years ago.

Why yes, I AM a surly old curmudgeon thank you very much,
Chris in CA

Chris

Kim/Kimmie's family are a disgusting bunch of two-faced liars...

IMHO

-- grin --

What the FUC* was that all about? This not so accidental transformation.

All the writing lighting up on Ken a few chapters back hinted at some power or spirit sealed-up.

But to re-seal up this dangerous female spirit, Kimmie, as a woman?

HUH?

What the hell game are they playing?

It's like they care nothing for their own kin, just that their plan apparently going on since Ken was born is not upset. They talk like they want her as some prize broodmare.

Time to call on Sile's help and maybe Morgan's and un-seal her spirit and that of Ken.

What did they do, breed one of their own with a demon or a kitsune to gain some of its power thus the necessity of the binding spells that nearly failed?

His/her pain, nothing important. Just stick to the plan. He/she is nothing but a pawn to be lied to.

I say Kimmie, find Sile, get her help and blow this popsicle stand.

That is unless I totally misread this and this seemingly cruel treatment is the only way to save the child.

But why then the lies. Why can't they tell the child he/she is demon tainted or half Dark Unseen?

Something doesn't add up and it smells to me like Ken/Kimmie is simply a tool for the families' greater plans. His/her welfare/wishes/desires be damned.

Poor kid. His protectors failed and why, because his own family betrayed him/her.

Uncaring bastards the lot of them in particularly Aya, grandmother and whoever this Mistress Aya talked to on the phone is.

Who needs the Dark Fey as enemies when you have your own supposedly *good guys* family to back stab you.

Like I said before, maybe I am misreading this but this was at best businesslike and mechanical handling of a family member's misfortune or it was a long calculated, selfish, cruel power grab that used him/her as a tool and no more. And what was this about unseen swords and scabards?

Who are the real monsters indeed. I'd say some of her family are the real monsters and many of the rest are too timid to object as proper family should.

VERY good tale so far.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Who are the real monsters indeed

Elsbeth's picture

Love to tell you but it would spoil the surprise, thanks for reading :)

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

dark fae

Sadarsa's picture

Who needs the Dark Fey as enemies when you have your own supposedly *good guys* family to back stab you

eh? no one said they weren't dark fae, although their probably not.. but still.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

I wonder what really happened

I wonder what really happened to his first girlfriend. Maybe Ken's family took her out or something. It really looks quite evil right now.

Great story, thank you for writing,
Beyogi

Convoluted, but Great!

You make me work to follow your plot. I have to reread older posts and research Japanese terms (kind of like Googling Sidhe terms in "The Forest") just to completely understand the story. For some reason, that seems to add to the experience. Your work is refreshing, and the plot twist are a lot of fun. I truly enjoy your writing and hope you continue for a long time.

Thanks,
Larimus

What to lose indeed...

Freedom of choice, for a start. But that's only *if* the Umeki family is as traditional as I suspect they are about arranged marriages, amongst other things. It doesn't seem that the family elders have much concern over what the younger generation thinks of them, just so long as they jump when they're told to. If that's what you were refering to when you chose the title "Who are the Real Monsters?", I agree whole heartedly. With "friends/family like that, who needs enemies?"

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Traditional

Elsbeth's picture

You are correct the Umeki family is very traditional

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

That's what I was afraid of...

Unless (s)he gets some rather strong and very *real* friends in the near future, I worry for him/her.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

That's what I was afraid of...

Elsbeth's picture

You are correct, if you noticed she is emotionally isolated. Being pulled from Hawaii (believe what Aya said to Katie if you want or not) it removed her from a familiar place causing her to fall back to her family for support. They might not all be warm and responsive but she is getting support.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

lying

yeah there has been some serious lying going on in this family for a long time.
great chapter, looking forward to whatever you have planned next.
thanks

Seriously....

If it were me I wouldn't be so accepting of things, can't she see that people are hiding things?

Other Worldly Guardian

Is more or less the literal translation of Yo-kai-Hogosha. Tojiru ceremony means the closing ceremony. So this is not done yet. I have to agree that poor Ken/Kimmie is being used and betrayed. I also suspect that his friend in Hawaii was also dealt with in an harsh manner since I think she was a type of shifter too.

It does fall in the Asian traditions that the children are no more than assets for the family, but this is far too much. This is blatant betrayal.

Since it said 'other' Yokai-Hogosha family and her parents travel so much, they might be monster hunters of some sort. Possibly they adopt young 'Yokai' into their family to breed them to become stronger which is seems to be happening here.

This does make me think, but in a good way! Sometimes the good guys ain't so good, and besides I've always had a soft stop for the monsters. Girl, go kick your family's ass!

Hugs
Grover

Good Question

Elsbeth's picture

Good questions, who is on Kimme side? Glad your liking the story and thanks for reading.

*hugs*

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Strangeness

All three senior members of the clan appear to be scheming so-and-sos, doing what they regard as best for the clan without informing anyone as to what's going on - and I doubt they'll willingly volunteer some crucial information even at the ceremony, leaving Kimmie to work it out for herself.

There also appears to be a rigid hierarchy: Sachiko --> Aya --> Rika --> everyone else.

“Ken is no longer, it would be wise to remember that. We exist to serve the Umeki family and this was their decision... This was never a contest. This is the way it has to be.”

Ren's father was apparently imprisoned overnight - so presumably the pair of them knew something was up and were determined to try and interfere.

This quote seems rather ominous - they've known about a certain aspect of Ken since birth, and have been planning for Ken to change forms (presumably not the standard were change, as we know from other cases - and presumably Ken's relatives - that happens at sixteen). They apparently believe that if Ken had changed forms 'naturally', (s)he would have escaped and (in their view) become dangerous to the entire family.

“We had no choice, Katherine. If she had broken free, then seventeen years of planning would have gone to waste. Changing forms now seemed prudent. She was too comfortable with Ken.” Aya didn’t need to remind Katherine how dangerous it would have been to the entire family if that one had escaped.

We learn of the true reason for Katherine being left behind in Skogshaven:

“The Mistress didn’t want any more distractions. Once the Tojiru ceremony is complete, we will finally be able to leave this town”, she said with a sneer. “Moreover, Kimme-sama will return to her proper place as heir to the Umeki family.”

It sounds as though Aya doesn't have any special love for Skogshaven, and would prefer to get out of there asap. However, regardless of their plans for Kimme, unless she's effectively confined to the family home and shrine until the ceremony (after which they'd stick her on a plane back to Hawaii), they won't be able to watch her 24/7. No doubt given any chance whatsoever, she'll try and spread the word to others outside the family - there's no way she's going to be the submissive, compliant girl they presumably want her to be without either a mind-wipe or making her life a living hell.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Who are the Real Monsters? Chapter 7

They seem to have forgotten that Ken/Kimmie was not given a choice and very well might rebel, or commit suicide

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Sorry, but why even speculate about suicide?

Andrea Lena's picture

...there's nothing, however frustrating for Kimmie, that would indicate anything so tragic and hopeless to indicate self harm. Are you serious?

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Please keep in mind that this...

Is a family steeped in Japanese tradition, even if the younger generations look at it as a bother more than anything. Seppuku may well be considered an option here if Ken/Kimmie doesn't find any ways out of this.

Also, Ken's/Kimmie's head is going to be messed up as all get out by all of this, if it goes "according to plan," but eventually fails again. It wouldn't suprise me if (s)he goes insane at some point if it keeps up. I really worry about this poor kid's future.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Suicide, I can't see it

Except maybe ritual suicide by Aya or one of the other main suspected villains here IF their plan for Kimmie fails. If they are THAT *traditional* in their beliefs then they might do it to *save the family honor*. HAH! Like there is ANY honor in this family.

I can see Siles having a fit if she finds out. Ken was possibly becoming her lover and the murder of her lover several centuries ago was a reason she sided against the Dark Fey who by her nature she should have aided.

And Ken though likely stuck as Kimmie by the first *ceremony* -- or Kimmie is now the defalt form and Ken can only come out at times, like Kimmie previously was -- has not yet been subject to the second or final one and has retained control of her will for now. The glowing tattoos? of a previous chapter indicate some binding ceremony was used on Ken/Kimmie long ago.

The grace of his dancing suggested he had a strong affinity to his Kimmie form or even was born Kimmie and magically changed. Who knows?

Kimmie still has her free will though is still too willing to do as asked. Can she fight of the last magics and be herself if she can't ever be himself again?

Ken needs justice. Kimmie needs to have a life of her own choosing.Does anyone in the family truely love him/her?

But His/her spirit is strong. I can't see her killing herself. But maybe fighting back... eventually? Possible.

And like another speculated I wonder about the Hawaiian girl. Just a throwaway character or was she a victim of the family plan? They feared she would learn the secret so they had her *removed* from Ken in some way?

I could still be wrong here and our authoress has led us up a false trail. But it would take a lot to convince me this was done out of love and having no other choice to save the child. It all seems a cynical power grab by *the family* to me.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Unreasonable relatives

I think from Ken's POV his relatives were simply being unreasonable and not abusive. There was no reason to rebel other than the small things he did. Ken after all did grow up with these traditions and accepted them as normal.

However like John said this is something completely different. Cynical power grab is right! There is no concern for Ken's well-being. Ren and his father had something planned it seems, and Kathy appears sympathetic as well. The way The Family is spoken of it sounds like the Mafia or the Yakuza.

We can only hope Kimmie begins to see though the lies. A room just happens to be ready. Your cousins just happen to have clothes. Can their mouths open without telling a lie?

If you wanted to build suspense you're certainly doing a good job of it!
hugs
Grover

unreasonable and not abusive

Elsbeth's picture

They might be unreasonable parents, but they are still her parents.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Sile

Reading all these one chapter at a time, I keep losing chain of thought (I often have trouble working up a good link, much less a whole chain). I have to go back and read them in entirity, one at a time, in order of release, and when I did, I started putting a few things together.At first, I didn't realize The Other Side of the Forest was a Dark Realms story. So, I didn't place them together. It finally clicked (yes. I'm slow) The vampire bad girl and the town historian are the same person. Excellent work.

Thank You

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks, I'm glad your liking the story. Thanks for reading.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Confused

I’m not really sure exaclty what’s going on

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna