The Revival of the Absolution

Printer-friendly version

Note: this is a work of fiction and the characters, settings, etc. belong to Willams Street. If you have no idea of who TOM, SARA, Toonami, or the Absolution are, skip to the notes section of the story. This is a NON-TG story.

The Absolution was dead silent. It had been silent since that fateful September day back in 2008 when Toonami was shut down. There was a brief moment when TOM almost came back to life, but that was a while ago. The people responsible for that increase in the robot’s brain activity were startled when they saw what occurred because of the April fool’s joke.

“BRING BACK TOONAMI!” pierced the nebula the Absolution was parked in and almost brought the ship back to life. It wasn’t long before retrofit crews came to do a ship-wide overhaul and refit.

“Tom? Tom? Wake up!” SARA, the Artificial intelligence of the Absolution said to him.

“All right I’m up. What’s the sitrep?” Tom asked.

“We have construction crews removing and replacing many of our communications systems. Also, the reactor is being overhauled. Our engines are being improved with better models.”

“What made them decide to bring us back from the dead?” Tom asked.

“Apparently they decided we were profitable again, and the ‘test’ they pulled was successful.” SARA remarked.

“Good. That means people still remember and care about us. How does the bridge look? I am on my way up there now.”

“The bridge is untouched save the refit, and according to the refit information is going to have your chair slightly updated to reflect the update to the ship. There is an incoming transmission meant for you at the bridge as well.”

“All right I am on my way up,” Tom remarked, as he got in the elevator heading to the bridge.

The bridge was hardly recognizable, because everything was apart, except the main console and chair. There was a flashing icon on the main console, so Tom sat down in his chair and pulled it up.
“This is Tom. Refit for block reboot? I like the news of being back in business. What’s the date? Ten days from now? Yes, sir, the Absolution will be ready well ahead of time. Understood. We’ll get 3 parts of the schedule on premier day.”

“I take it we’re back in business?” SARA asked.

“Yup. Tell the refit and overhaul crews to prioritize getting the engines operational first and then the communication equipment. We got ten days to get the ship into position,” Tom remarked.

And so the repair crews spent the next two days overhauling the reactor and getting the engines operational. The rest of the time was spent on the communication equipment upgrades. As the days turned to hours and the hours turned to minutes the consoles came back to life.

Tom walked into his chair at the start of the block. “It’s good to have my old job back. I love this job,” he said, before hitting the transmit button.

Notes:

The Absolution is a ship on which the AI SARA and TOM are apart. The three are a part of an American action block called Toonami that has aired on Cartoon Network and started to air again in a 6 hour block (3 hours new 3 hours repeat) that starts at midnight on Saturday nights. The block was supposedly 'shut down' in September of 2008 but came back as a result of feedback from a April Fools 'prank'.

I haven't forgotten about my other story BUT part 1 is in revisions and the editor isn't getting the message about the tags I applied so progress is slow. I also have had this on my HDD a while so some information is out of date.

up
62 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments